Credits that Gave the Game Away

Guest Ryan

Inspired, by the recent upload to the website of 1995#3 credits, and the first sighting of Marilyn being from them, it got me wondering on what occasions the credits have given the game away, by either taking someone off before their departure or given them a shot before they arrive.

Viv - First credited in #341, doesn't appear till 343.

Early 1993 - as the show moved away from the old-style black background credits it had used for 5 years, did Sophie and Blake get the chop and Sarah's arrival on the credits may predate her arrival by a few weeks, it predates it by at least 1 episode.

Damian & Roxy: A victim of new credit-style-osis, when the credits were made for 1995, they obviously couldn't be bothered making a Roxy/Damian set, ultimately letting us know that they weren't going to be around much longer.

Ailsa & Harry: Removed from the first credits of 2001, kinda sealing Ailsa's fate and showing that Harry was on borrowed time as well.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brand new opening credits for episode 2004 would have given the game away that all the Sutherlands were going to survive the mine collapse. I can't actually remember though whether they showed the credits. I have a feeling they didn't show them till episode 2?

Likewise with Sally being in the new 2007 credits after the 2006 finale saw her lying in a pool of imaginary blood.

Beth was removed from the 2007 credits shortly after she left for her holiday, thus ruining the "twist" of her offscreen death. OK, so it didn't necessarily mean she was going to die, but it meant we all knew she wasn't coming back.

Off the top of my head, I'll probably think of several more:I think Luke was also added to the credits from the start of 1993, before he appeared, as was Tug, who had appeared the previous year on a recurring basis and seemed to have left.(The shot of Luke also shows him very coupley with Roxy, months before they actually got together.)The same set of credits, which someone really should have looked at, also featured Adam, who had apparently left at the end of the previous year, giving away the fact he was coming back.

I seem to remember in 2000 they removed Ken from the credits at the same time as Edward and Peta, when they added the Sutherlands on, a couple of weeks or so before he died.

When both Flynn and Hayley were recast, the new actors appeared on the credits before they made their on-screen debut.

Brand new opening credits for episode 2004 would have given the game away that all the Sutherlands were going to survive the mine collapse. I can't actually remember though whether they showed the credits. I have a feeling they didn't show them till episode 2?

Likewise with Sally being in the new 2007 credits after the 2006 finale saw her lying in a pool of imaginary blood.

Beth was removed from the 2007 credits shortly after she left for her holiday, thus ruining the "twist" of her offscreen death. OK, so it didn't necessarily mean she was going to die, but it meant we all knew she wasn't coming back.

I guess it becomes a question as to what is the lesser of two evils here. By removing Sally, we guess she's probably a goner, by adding her we guess she's OK.

Talking of perhaps ill timed credit additions, Marilyn in 1989 where at the end of her first episode on the credits, her life is in peril.

Though I'm sure I've read of some TV show that added a character to the opening credits for the episode in which she dies to throw the audience.

• 3 weeks later...

They added Rachel on for the 2006 opener, a good few minutes before she made her debut.Which is even more strange when you consider they altered the credits again a week later to add Peter on. Could they really not have used that caption of Leah and Dan for a few more episodes?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived