I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

BIG HUG TO: Danni, Sarah, charlie29. Mel, Sam, Charis & Scotcaz22. I LOVE reading your comments, If you could see my reaction, you'd probably laugh. I love that you enjoy reading my fic. :)

This is a small chapter, I just wanted to put it in to tie up the teens been at the hospital, I hope it works, and that is reads what I have going on in my head....

Chapter 49

THREE WEEKS PREVIOUS

Leah grabbed Ruby as Ruby tried to run closer to Charlie.

Xavier and Romeo joined Roman near the boat as they tried to push the boat away.

Irene shakily grabbed her phone. She phoned for an ambulance.

The next sequence of events seemed to go in slow motion.

Ruby fighting with Leah to let her go, Ruby hit and pushed Leah's arms, sobbing hard as she looked over to the boat.

Roman, Xavier and Romeo trying to push the boat from on top of Charlie and Angelo. Their faces showed the strain they were putting on their bodies.

Colleen had wandered outside after Irene and Leah had been longer than they said they would be.

She watched as Ruby cried out for her sister, she watched as the men tried to move the heavy boat. She watched as an ambulance came rushing along the road.

A fire engine followed on the road, to help move the boat.

Colleen was -for the first time- speechless.

A crowd gathered on the banks above where the drama was happening.

Shocked faces were amongst them.

"I'm going to have to ask you to step back" On of the paramedics said as she edged Ruby, Leah, Irene and Nicole backwards

"My sister is under there!" Ruby cried

"We're doing all we can" The paramedic said.

Ruby hugged herself as she watched what the fire department were doing. They had already sent Xavier, Romeo and Roman away from the sight, as they didn't want three further casualties.

Three men stood at either side of the boat, hoping to lift the heavy piece of machinery off Charlie and Angelo.

"We got a live one!" One man shouted

Ruby hoped Charlie was the one they had got too. She couldn't loose her sister.

Four paramedics rushed over with a stretcher to where there was space.

Blood stained the blue shirt they were wearing. A bone pierced through the skin on their arm.

"Forget about me, get Charlie" Angelo said, struggling for breath.

Two of the paramedics continued to look for a path way to Charlie, whilst the other two lifted Angelo over to the ambulance.

"Broken forearm, patient finding it difficult to catch breathe" One of the paramedics said

"I'm fine. Get Charlie out" Angelo said again, the use of breath causing him a great deal of pain.

"Sorry, we've got you, we've taking you to the hospital" The paramedic said as she hooked Angelo up to a morphine drip.

Angelo glanced over to Ruby. Ruby looked over to Angelo. 'Sorry' Angelo mouthed. Ruby smiled slightly.

As Angelo was driven away in the ambulance, Ruby felt herself comforted with the fact that Charlie wasn't alone when the boat came at them.

As the fire department continued to lift the boat, the paramedics work as fast as they could to get to Charlie.

The pebbled ground made it difficult for the paramedics to place their equipment on level ground.

"Not breathing!" One paramedic shouted

Ruby's body crumpled in

"Starting CPR" the other paramedic said as she stared to do chest compressions on Charlie.

Leah struggled to hold on to Ruby as she watched what was going on.

Leah stared intently, hoping that Charlie would be ok.

Some by-standers filmed the footage, whilst others watched on in horror.

A white van pulled up, containing news crews. Some of the bystanders tutted in disgust. Whilst others made there way across to where the cameras were for their five minutes of fame -At someone else's pain and misery- Leah saw the going's on, she tried to shield Ruby from witnessing it.

The boat was finally secured on a near-by trailer.

This allowed the paramedic a full visual of Charlie and what they were dealing with.

Blood streamed down Charlie's face, her shoulder looked as if were dislocated, her thigh bone was piercing her trousers, her collar bone looked as though that too were broken.

The paramedic was horrified with what she had seen. She continued to do the chest compressions. With each compression, she hoped it would be enough for Charlie to take a breath.

"Come on!" She shouted

Charlie's chest suddenly moved up.

"She's breathing!" The paramedic shouted.

An oxygen mask was placed over Charlie's cut face, a morphine drip was placed in her arm, and she was lifted to the ambulance.

"Charlei? If you can hear me can you squeeze my hand? My name is Kelly and I just want you to squeeze my hand" Kelly took Charlie's hand. She felt a faint squeeze, but she couldn't be too sure.

Ruby finally broke free from Leah and ran to Charlie's side

"I'm sorry miss, but you will have to step back"

"She's my sister. I have to go with her!" Ruby sobbed

Charlie was placed in the back of the ambulance. Ruby climbed in as grabbed Charlie's hand.

"I'm here. I'm here Charlie" She cried.

NOW

Nicole, Xavier and Romeo shuddered at the same time. It was as if a cold wind had blown passed them.

"You ok?" Angelo asked as he saw the teens hug themselves

"Yea" Nicole replied

"You sure?" Angelo replied, Nicole nodded. "Xave?"

"Its nothing"

"Something is up, you have that look on your faces" Angelo replied, causing Morag and Ross to look at the teens faces

"Xavier?" Ross asked

"Last time we were here.." Romeo began

"Charlie was rushed in" Angelo finished, realizing that they would be right back there. Three weeks ago, witnessing everything once again. "Come here" Angelo said to Nicole, who looked the most petrified, and brought her in for a hug.

Xavier and Romeo stood, looking at Ross and Morag. Though they spoke no words, their faces said everything.

Charlie kept brushing her hand over Ruby's hair. The smile on her face as big as it was when she first awoke to Ruby been there beside her.

Ruby shuddered, the motion was felt by Charlie. Ruby shuddered once again, this time it was more than before.

"Ruby" Charlie said, hoping to bring Ruby out of her dream.

Ruby shuddered again, her grip on Charlie's arm tightening. "Ruby" Charlie said once again, Ruby never responded "Ruby" Charlie shouted

Ruby let go of Charlie's arm, but still held her hand. She panted deeply as she tried to catch her breath. "I saw it. All of it" Ruby spoke, her voice shaky

"Rubes, I'm fine, your fine. Come here" Charlie replied as she brought Ruby closer to her

"I thought I was going to loose you. That I'd never see you again" Ruby cried

"What did you see?" Charlie asked

"Everything. The whole accident. Everything" Ruby cried once more

"Rubes, you can forget it. I'm going to be ok" Charlie replied, not entirely sure if was the smartest thing to say

"You promise?" Ruby asked

"I promise" Charlie replied, biting her lip as she didn't know how things would play out.

"It seemed so real again" Ruby sniffed "I wanted to get to you. But they wouldn't let me. I cried out to you. Did you hear me?"

"I don't remember Rubes" Charlie replied as she embraced Ruby

"I stayed with you. All the way here"

"I know" Charlie replied

"You did? How?" Ruby asked as she pulled away from Charlie.

"Angelo, dad and Morag told me" Charlie smiled

"What else did they say?" Ruby asked as she wiped the stray tears from her cheeks

"That you haven't rested properly. Ruby, you need to rest" Charlie replied

"No, I have to be here for dad, and Morag, Angelo, you, everyone" Ruby answered

"No Ruby you don't. You can't keep doing this to yourself"

"Do what?"

Charlie pointed to her arm. She had faint white marks and bright red marks from where Ruby had gripped on to it.

"Have you spoken to anyone about the accident?" Charlie asked

Ruby looked to Charlie's arm. "I'm so sorry"

"Rubes, its fine" Charlie replied as she looked to the distraught teen "Have you?"

"No. I can't" Ruby replied

"Come here" Charlie said as she moved herself sideways on the bed to allow Ruby to climb on next to her. "You can talk to me"

Ruby looked to Charlie. Something inside her was pulling her towards Charlie, she wanted to tell her everything, she wanted Charlie's help. But there was another part of her that didn't. Ruby thought Charlie couldn't cope with anymore drama in her life at this point in her life.

"Ruby?" Charlie asked, worried that Ruby would leave the room.

"I just want you to get better and for those guys who did this to be caught" Ruby replied, still remaining where she was.

"I'm getting there, slowly" Charlie smiled "And with you there I'm getting that push to make me do better"

"And what about the guys who caused the accident? They're still out there" Ruby reminded Charlie

"To be honest, I don't really care about them"

Ruby nodded. A tear fell down her face. Charlie opened her arms out, hoping Ruby would respond to the gesture.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miles walked into the diner. He looked as though he was on a mission,.

"Hey Leah, you haven't seen Romeo or Nicole have you?"

"Erm, no I haven't. Why? What's wrong?" Leah asked, seeing the concern in Miles' face

"Romeo and Nic have been in a weird mood for a while, and now they've vanished and Roman and I can't get through to them" Miles replied

"They didn't say where they were going?" Leah asked

"Leah, if they told us where they were going, we wouldn't be looking for them"

"Miles, I'm only trying to help" Leah replied

"I know, I'm sorry. If you do see them, let me know, ok?"

"Yea" Leah replied

Leah walked back into the kitchen. She hit her forehead with her hand when she thought of where they could be.

"Miles!" Leah shouted as she ran out along the path after Miles

"Yea?" Miles replied

"They might be at the hospital"

"Why would they be there?" Miles asked

"Romeo, Nicole and Xavier are still having dreams about the accident"

"And to stop them happening they've gone to see the only person who is still injured" Miles said as he took his mobile from his pocket

"Exactly" Leah replied

"Roman, its Miles. Look, I have an idea on where they are. I'll let you know if I'm right. Tell Gina as well" Miles spoke in the phone as he headed for his car. Leah followed behind

"Where's VJ?" Miles asked as he and Leah got in the car

"Miles, its a Thursday, he's at school"

"Oh, right. Yea"

"Hold on, why were Romeo and Nicole not at school?"

"Study day, I think"

"Weren't you at home for lunch?" Leah asked as the car began to move

"I'm not with it today" Miles replied

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby sat up. "Thanks for listening"

Charlie pushed herself up the bed "Thanks for talking"

Ruby turned to face Charlie. "We'll be ok" Ruby said as she placed her hand on Charlie's cheek

Charlie smiled and nodded.

There was a knock at the door.

Ross peered round "Charlie?"

Charlie wiped her face "Yea dad"

"Charlie" Ross beamed

Ruby stood up from the bed and walked over to the window. Morag followed into the room followed by Romeo, Xavier and Nicole.

"Romeo, Xavier, Nicole what are you doing here?" Charlie asked as she and Ross pulled apart

"We wanted to make sure you were ok. No one would tell us anything" Nicole replied as she handed Charlie the bouquet of flowers they had got for her.

"I'm a lot better" Charlie replied as she quickly glanced to Ruby, who returned the smiled Charlie gave her

"Good" Nicole replied

"Erm, Rome, Xavier. I wanted to say thank you for what you did that day" Charlie said

"What did we do?" Romeo asked

"I know you tried to move the boat before the paramedics got there" Charlie smiled

"We couldn't leave you under there" Xavier replied with a smile "We need you to help us get out of trouble with the other officers"

Charlie laughed. "I do appreciate all you did though. And you can stop worrying"

At that moment, Xavier, Romeo and Nicole felt there shoulders had been lifted. Seeing Charlie alert and awake made them feel a lot better than they did before. They felt now they could cope with what they had seen and move passed it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danni, Sarah, Scotcaz22 and charlie29. Thank you so much for the comments and taking the time to read them :)

This chapter is a bit of a mix.

I hope you like it!

Chapter 50

Nicole, Xavier and Romeo walked into school. Ready to face the day and catch up with the work they had missed over the past few days.

All the teachers were understanding, especially since they had seen the footage on the TV. However, the students were so understanding, they didn't know about what happened, surprising though, as most of the school was on the beach at the time of the accident and they didn't know that Romeo and Xavier tried to help. They had, however, seen Roman in his drunken state, and had seen him nearly attack an officer outside the diner.

"Hey Nicole! How's your dad? I hear the liquor store in Yabbie Creek got robbed!" One boy sniggered

"Shut up" Nicole replied, not letting it get to her

"What? You saying it wasn't him? Really" The boy teased

"Keep you opinions to yourself yea?" Romeo replied as he got in the boys face

"I was only messing" The boy said

"You don't know what you're talking about. So I suggest you leave" Romeo added

The boy -James- walked back to his mates. Then walked away, giving Nicole evils as he walked away

"Thanks" Nicole told Romeo

"Jerk"

"Look, don't let it bother you. I really couldn't care what he has to say to me. I know why dad drank, if he wants to be a jerk for the rest of his life, that's his choice" Nicole replied

"Mum said we have to go to her office at some point" Xavier said, hoping to change the subject

"What for?" Romeo asked

"Probably to tell us that all the teachers are aware of our recent..."

"Problems?" Nicole smiled

"Yea" Xavier replied

IN CLASS

As the three walked into the room, the students fell silent.

Whispers came from the corner.

Nicole sat down first. She felt eyes on her back. She quickly turned around to catch some of the girls looking at her.

Romeo and Xavier followed behind Nicole.

"Didn't want to stay home?" James sneered from beside Nicole

"That's enough" Miles said as he walked into the room. "Right. Thank you" Miles added as the room fell silent once again "Nci, Romeo, Xavier. Nice to see you today" Miles said as he looked up to the class.

"Right. Writing assignments that are due next Friday. Part of your overall grade after your exams will be based on what you produce in this assignment. I have six newspapers here and there are twenty four of you. So can you get yourselves in six groups of four please"

The students moved themselves around the room. Xavier, Romeo and Nicole stayed where they were.

"James, go with those three" Miles said as he pointed to Nicole and the guys.

Nicole rolled her eyes "Perfect"

"This is great. I have to work with the three who haven't been here" Jame replied

"That's enough" Miles said as he handed the newspapers out to everyone. "You are all to choose on of the stories from the paper. Then I want you to think about how that piece went from been a small story that was spoken, to a full article in the paper"

"So write the article, but backwards?" One girl asked

"Yes" Miles replied

"Whoa, check it out" One boy read "Homeless man witnesses adult film been made in public park" The boy laughed "Man, we are so doing this one"

"Blind man 'sees' spirit" One girl read "That's just stupid"

"Oh my god" Laura said as she looked at the paper.

"What?" Jenny asked

"Two local police officers trapped under a boat as woman pushes the machine to allow thugs to escape.

The officers -who are still to be named- were seen investigating what appeared to be a robbery, a woman from behind them, pushed the boat which allowed her two male companions chance to escape. Local school students Romeo Smith and Xavier Austin were seen along side Roman Harris trying to remove the boat form the officers. Summer Bay locals -including local business owners Irene Roberts and Leah Patterson-Baker - were seen aiding to young girls. The girls -known as Ruby Buckton and Nicole Franklin- were trying to rush to the scene. It is unclear how they play apart in all of this, but it was clear that they know the officers personally.

Yabbie Creek Police Officers are asking for witnesses to come forward with any information"

All the students looked to Romeo, Nicole and Xavier.

Shocked by what they had heard. Guilty for thinking they could just not turn up for school.

"So. You were there? When it happened?" Laura asked

"Yea" Nicole replied as a tear rolled down her face

"Hey, Nicole? I'm sorry for the grog comment" James said as he put his hand on Nicole's

"Its fine" Nicole replied

"Maybe we should do something else" Miles said as he went to collect the papers

"No. We can still do this" Romeo replied "Charlie is ok. Ruby's ok."

"Yea, we saw them yesterday" Xavier added

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tish opened the doors to the room.

The two bars were still in the center of the room, waiting to be used.

Charlie stared at the bars. Instantly her hands began to sweat and she felt the energy drain away from her. Even having Ruby, Ross, Morag and Angelo there didn't seem to calm her down. It made her worse.

As she was wheeled closer to the bars, Charlie's hands began to shake.

"Charlie?" Tish whispered in here ear

Charlie looked to Tish with desperation in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, but I just need a minute with Charlie" Tish said as she turned to Angelo, Morag, Ross and Ruby

"Ok, sure. We'll just be outside" Ross smiled

Angelo closed the door after he left.

"What's wrong?" Tish asked Charlie as she knelt down beside Charlie

"I can't do this" Charlie cried

"Charlie, you will get this. It's not going to come easy, you've been through a lot. And the last time we were here was over a week ago"

"I feel like I have no strength left" Charlie replied

"That's just the thought of those bars. If you remember you were like this the first time you saw those bars. Its perfectly natural, and it seems like your boyfriend and family are out there ready to give you the support you need"

"I can't do it" Charlie sobbed

"Do you want me to get your dad? Or your sister? Will that help?" Tish asked as she looked at the broken Charlie

Charlie wanted to correct Tish, but she thought it would be best to keep it to herself. "No" Charlie whispered

"I can give you a minute or two. Just to prepare yourself" Tish suggested "But you will have to do this Charlie. Sooner rather than later"

Charlie nodded. She watched through the corner of her eye as Tish left the room.

When she heard the door snag shut, she burst into tears...

"What's the problem?" Ross asked as Tish walked to them

"Charlie is having a slight panic attack. Its nothing to worry about, its perfectly normal"

"And you've left her in there?" Morag asked

"If I remove her from the room, she wont face what's causing her to panic. I know it sounds awful, but this is the only way"

"Can I see her?" Ruby asked

"I asked if she wanted her dad or sister in there with her, but she said no. I'm sorry, but I can't let you in" Tish replied sympathetically

"But she didn't say no about me" Angelo said as he walked passed Tish and into the room

"Charlie?" Angelo said as he walked up to Charlie

Charlie wiped her face, trying to hide the tears, but Angelo could see that she'd been crying. "Hey, what's these for?" Angelo asked as he knelt in front of Charlie

"I can't do this Angelo. I can't" Charlie sobbed as she shook her head

"You can Charlie. And you know why? Because you are the strongest person I know. Nothing beats you"

"This does" Charlie replied as she pointed to her leg

"Charlie, if you don't do this, then you're letting what those guys get away with what they did to you. If you walk, it'll prove to them that they'll caught" Angelo replied as he placed his hand on Charlie's metallic leg.

Charlie looked at Angelo's hand. He'd placed it on her leg, without wincing once. "You think I can do this?" Charlie smiled

"I know you can do this. And Morag knows, your dad knows and so does your daughter" Angelo smiled

"Ok" Charlie replied

"You're ready?" Angelo smiled

Charlie sighed. "I'm ready"

Thank you so much for the comments! I love reading them!

And I hope that I'm not taking too long in having Charlie recover. Its just, It really annoys me when a show shows a character have an accident on a Monday (For example) and then on the Thursday, they are back to there old self! Its not believable! Then again, I may be taking too long! :lol:

Chapter 51

Charlie placed her hands on the two bars. She looked to the end of the walk way. It wasn't too far, maybe eight steps. Eight steps for the likes of Ruby and Angelo. They made Charlie sick every time she saw them walk up to her. Never had Charlie been so jealous of someone in her life as she was right now. Charlie didn't want Ruby or Angelo to go through what she was going through, she would never wish this kind of pain on anyone, she was never comfortable, never happy with knowing that if she looked to her leg, she'd be repulsed by what would stare back up at her. Charlie couldn't help but think that she didn't deserve to be in this position. That she had her freedom taken away from her by one little incident.

Charlie glanced down at her leg. Once again, it was exposed underneath the shorts she had to wear so that Tish's assistant could monitor the progress Charlie was making with her walking and use of her leg. The bruises weren't as big and as bold, but they we still there, clearly visible, and a few new ones had appeared over the last couple of days. Every time Charlie moved her legs would hit each other causing the metal to scratch or poke her leg, the initial action hurt and stung, but with everything else that was going on in her life, Charlie chose to ignore the uncomfortable pain she endured. Charlie had tried to picture what her leg would look like when the pins and bars were removed, but all she could see were scars, puncture marks, scratches and bruising that would never go away. The thought nearly knocked Charlie over. The small action of her swaying slightly caused Tish to rush to her side.

"Whoa, you ok?" Charlie nodded "Take it easy. One movement at a time"

Easy for you to say, you don't have a mass of metal on your leg weighing you down! Charlie thought to herself. She knew Tish was only trying to help, but she was so frustrated with herself for not been able to walk yet, Charlie was easily irritated.

"Ok, now, just like before. All I want you to do, is bring your right leg forward, and place it on the floor"

Charlie nodded. Her grasp on the bars tightened. Her knuckles went white as she braced herself for her second, first step. Looking forward, to where Ruby, Ross, Morag and Angelo were stood watching, Charlie breathed in and out, preparing herself to lift her foot from the floor and placing it in front of her.

Nervous about taking her steps in front of more people than she did the last time, Charlie never showed it. She wished they weren't there, as she was scared to fail, but she wanted them there, to watch as she took the steps forward.

Charlie slowly raised her right leg. Instantly, the pain rushed through her body. Charlie winched as she tried to hide that pain she was in. Charlie felt the strain of her weight on her left leg, she didn't weigh very much, but after going from two legs and two arms to one leg and two arms, the weight difference was felt. Charlie wanted to give up. She had no strength in her arms or her legs and she had no energy in her body to draw from. She was empty.

Ruby looked to Charlie. Ruby felt the pain Charlie was in, she could see the agony all over Charlie's face and it killed her inside. Ruby wanted to grab the wheel chair and put Charlie in it and take her away from the bars and the pain she was in. But she knew Charlie had to do this to get better. All the pain Charlie was in would -hopefully- be worth it at the end when Charlie could walk out of the hospital without the aid of a nurse and two bars.

Ruby moved from next to Angelo and Ross and in front of the bars. She stood, almost like a mother ready to catch her toddler as the ran towards her.

Charlie looked over to Ruby and smiled. Ruby returned the smile. And in that smile, Charlie received the energy she so desperately needed and craved. The pain was still present, but the determination Charlie had inside her dulled the pain in her leg. Charlie looked to Ross, Morag and Angelo, they all smiled, cheering her on -as it were- to continue with the step. Charlie nodded and looked back to Ruby. Ruby still stood, waiting to 'catch' Charlie at the end of the walkway.

Charlie looked down at the carpeted walkway. Her right foot was suspended in the air, the metal form the pins and bars were scraping on her left leg. Charlie felt a new scratch form on her leg, but she didn't care. She focused her eyes back on Ruby. A sight that she was so glad to see.

Using her new-found energy boost from Ruby, Charlie brought her right leg forward and placed it straight on the floor. A shooting pain went straight up her leg. Charlie cried out slightly as the pain rose through her body, but it didn't stop her. Charlie brought her hands forward along the bars, Ross, Morag and Angelo all light up when they saw Charlie take one move closer to doing another step. Ruby didn't break her eye contact with Charlie.

Charlie lifted her left leg up and brought it forward, she was able to move her leg easier and quicker than her right, but her right leg screamed at her as it took all of Charlie's weight.

The room was silent. Olivia -Tish's assistant- was busy looking at Charlie and writing down what she was seeing. So far, all the comments were positive.

Charlie's arms were sore and her knuckles couldn't go any whiter. But Charlie was still determined to make it to Ruby. If only for a hug.

"You can stop if you like Charlie. No one is saying you have to walk all the way along" Tish spoke as she stood to the side of Charlie

"One more" Charlie replied, her voice barely audible above her heavy breathing

"You don't have to push yourself. You've already done one more movement than you did last week" Tish replied

"I have to do this" Charlie replied, holding back her deep breathing.

"Take your time" Tish said as she moved back behind Charlie, ready to catch her if she stumbled.

Charlie nodded.

Looking down once again, Charlie focused on her right leg. The problem leg. The leg that caused her so much pain. And began to repeat the string of sequences she had just finished.

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! :wub:

And Idscott, thanks for taking the time to read ALL of my fic from BEGINNING to now. it must have taken a while :P

Chapter 52

Charlie fell into a deep sleep as soon as her head hit the freshly changed pillows on her fresh, clean, warm bed.

No thoughts went through her mind. She was too tired to think. To tired to move around in the bed. Charlie remained in the same position all night. The 'starfish' as VJ described it, as Charlie's legs were sticking out -due to the fact it was too uncomfortable for Charlie to have them close together-. Charlie laughed every time she thought about VJ's visit and what they talked about, she was glad to have someone visit who didn't fully understand the seriousness of her condition.

Tish had advised Morag to take Ross and Ruby home. Ruby looked exhausted, dead on her feet and Ross looked as though he would end up in a bed next to Charlie if he wasn't too careful. Morag wasn't too good either, but she was however, a lot better than she was before he talk with Angelo. He didn't fully know it, but Angelo had worked his way into Morag's 'good books'.

Angelo remained outside Charlie's room. Morag had offered to take him to his house, even taking him back to Leah's house so he could be with Ruby, Ross and herself. But he declined. Saying he "had a few things to do".

Charlie placed her right foot on the walkway for the third time. She felt more confident in her ability to support her own weight on both her right leg, and her arms, and she slowly getting quicker at doing all the movements she was required to do to enable her to successfully walk. A smile swept across her face. Charlie looked up to Ross: The grin on his face showed how happy he was for Charlie, how he was proud of her to overcome everything to be able to put everything aside to walk again. The tears in his face told Charlie that what she was doing was right. The right time to do this, the right time to have everyone she loves with her, watching her as she draws closer to recovering.

Looking over to Morag: Charlie saw something in Morag's eye that she had never seen before. A tear. Morag Bellingham was capable of tears. Charlie felt she had to continue to do what she was doing, not only because it was a necessary thing for her to be doing, but because that single tear showed Charlie that Morag is affected by all of this just as much as she, Ross and Ruby are.

Charlie glanced forward again. Angelo and Ruby were still stood at the end of the walkway. It was as if Ruby and Charlie had magnets attached to them, every time Charlie looked to Ruby, she felt a pull to continue.

Charlie stopped all her movements and just rested in the middle of the walkway. Her grasp on the bars was still as intense as it was when she first stepped foot onto the path. Charlie felt her arms go heavy, her leg go numb and her head go light. But she was halfway there. She had to continue.

"Charlie?" Ruby said as she looked to Charlie

Charlie took a deep breath in. "I can do this"

Ruby nodded. "Take your time" Tish smiled

Charlie smiled and nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following morning

VJ walked into the kitchen. Opened the fridge, grabbed the milk, headed for the cupboard and took the coco pops from the shelf. VJ then helped himself to one of the bowls that was on the draining board.

Sitting down to enjoy his huge bowl full of coco pops, Leah sleepily walked into the kitchen to join her young son.

"Morning mum" VJ smiled, with the coco pops nearly falling out of his mouth

Leah laughed "Morning"

"Mum?" VJ asked with that 'Please can I have' tone

"Yes?" Leah replied as she poured herself a coffee

"Can I go see aunty Charlie today? I saw Nicole in the diner the other day and heard what she said about Ruby and aunty Charlie. I just wanted to see if she is ok"

"Erm, I'll give Ross a ring and see if Charlie is up for visitors. I think she was starting her rehab today"

"What's rehab?" VJ asked

"Something Charlie needs to do to help her get better" Leah replied.

"So rehab is like your soup?"

"What do you mean?" Leah asked as she joined her son at the table

"Your soup makes me better. Will rehab make aunty Charlie better?"

Leah smiled. "Yes. Yes it will" Leah finished

"So. Should I go get ready to go to the hospital?" VJ asked as he stood up

"You're already dressed" Leah replied as she rose to her feet

"I have something for aunty Charlie. I wanted to give it to her before, but, I'm glad I didn't"

"What is it?"

"I made it at school. I'll show you" VJ smiled as he ran to his room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I thought we were going to the hospital" Ruby questioned as Morag pulled into a parking space near the diner

"We will, but I thought Charlie would appreciate proper food. Not that stuff they serve at the hospital" Morag replied as she, Ross and Ruby got out of the car

Ruby gave Morag a look. "Charlie needs to build her strength up. And I think some of Irene's cooking will do the trick" Morag replied as she saw Ruby's face.

Irene dashed around the diner. When she saw Ross, Morag and Ruby walk in, she handed her plates to Lily and walked over to them. "Hey, guys. What can I get you?"

"Charlie likes chicken Caesar wraps doesn't she?" Morag asked as she turned to Ruby

"Yea, she does." Ruby smiled

"How is Charlie?" Irene asked

"Good." Ross smiled "We were with her yesterday when she walked"

"Aww, that's good." Irene replied

"She only did a few steps, but, at least its in the right direction" Ross continued

"I bet Charlie is happier now that she can move" Irene said

"She seems to be. But I think she's frustrated with herself. She knows how to walk, its just, learning again that has her" Ruby replied

"Well, send her my love will you?" Irene said as she wrote down Morag's order

"We will. And could we have five chocolate muffins, and a cheese and onion quiche" Morag replied

"Sure. I'll just be a sec" Irene smiled

When Irene walked into the kitchen, Ross headed for the seats.

"Morag?" Ruby asked "Is there something you're not telling me?"

"What makes you ask that?" Morag replied

"All of this. It's just, you and Charlie have never had a great relationship. In fact, its not even been a good one"

"I know. But in light of recent events and recent talks, I think Charlie and I are old enough to move passed this and begin again"

"I'd like to too" Ruby replied quietly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VJ jumped out of the car and stood on the pavement waiting for Leah as she parked the car.

"VJ. You didn't have to bring your school bag" Leah said as she put her keys in her bag and began to walk towards the hospital

"I don't want to carry aunty Charlie's present in my hand. She'll see it"

"Isn't that the whole idea?" Leah asked

"I want it to be a surprise" VJ replied

"Oh. Ok"

"Did Ross say it was ok to visit aunty Charlie?" VJ asked as they walked through the doors

"He said we would have to wait for him to get here. He wants to explain something to me before we can go see her"

"Nothing bad? I don't want aunty Charlie to be sicker" VJ replied

"I don't think its bad news VJ. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roman walked into the front room to see Nicole with a smile on her face.

"So I take it your not upset anymore?"

Nicole looked around to Roman "No. I'm good"

"Do you mind telling me how?" Roman asked as he sat next to Nicole

"How what?"

"How you've turned a frown into a smile?" Roman asked

"I spoke to Xavier and Romeo. They helped so much. And then we went to see Charlie. That helped even more"

"Helped what?" Roman asked

"I told you, about the dreams I was having" Nicole replied

"I thought I was going to help you with that?" Roman asked

"I just thought that with everything that was going on with you, you wouldn't want to be more stressed out with my issues"

"Your my daughter Nicole. You shouldn't hesitate to come to me" Roman replied

"Sorry"

"How was Charlie anyway?" Roman asked

"Really good. Well, a lot better than I would look if I was her" Nicole replied "I thought you'd been to see her?"

"I did. But, that was ages ago"

"Why don't you go see her again?" Nicole asked

"What? To be stared at all the time, made to feel uncomfortable until I leave? No thanks"

"I thought you and Charlie were ok now?"

"I'm not on a bout Charlie. I'm on about Ross, Ruby and Morag"

Nicole laughed. "They're only looking out for Charlie"

"Glad you find it so amusing Nicole" Roman smiled

"Sorry" Nicole replied as she tried to stop herself laughing.

*PREVIEW*

*Speaking to Roman, Nicole realizes Roman is torn between two people

*A closer look at VJ present reveals more than Leah and Charlie were expecting

*Charlie and Ruby talk about what will happen after Charlie is discharged from hospiptal

*Angelo reveals his feelings.

Mel, Danni, freckleface, Sarah, charlie29 & Lisa. :) thank you for you lovely comments :)

This chapter has more talking in than the last one, I hope that's ok :blink:

Chapter 52

"So, Morag and Ross are the only reason you wont go back to the hospital and see Charlie?" Nicole asked as she and Roman sat down on the couches.

"I really don't feel comfortable talking about this Nic" Roman replied as he rubbed his forehead

"Dad, come on. You promised that you would tell me everything" Nicole reminded Roman

"What am I supposed to say to her that I haven't already said? She doesn't want anything more to do with me romantically, only on a friend basis. I don't want that. I want us to go back to where we were before the accident"

"What? Fighting all the time and using Ruby and me as a way to speak to each other?" Nicole asked

"No, we were together. We were happy. I just want all that back"

"I know you do. But, I don't think you will. You can't expect Charlie to be able to come to terms with you having an emotional attachment with that woman and then get back into a relationship with you. Its never going to happen. To you or to anyone"

"When did you get relationship smart?" Roman asked

"I'm just saying what I see"

Nicole reached to the table and grabbed her drink. Roman watched her as she did so, thinking if he should tell her about his kiss with Leah.

"Dad, why are you looking at me like that?" Nicole asked, sensing Roman looking at her

"I'm not" Roman replied

"Dad. You are. What aren't you telling me?"

Roman put his hands together, to stop his hands from shaking. Nicole looked at Roman's hand and saw how they were shaking. He fidgeted a lot on the couch before standing up and heading for the door.

"Dad" Nicole said as he opened the door. "Dad" Roman continued out of the door. Nicole stood up and chased after him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VJ happily skipped towards the woman at the front desk. Leah had to walk fast to keep up with her young son.

"Can I help you little man?" The woman at the desk asked

"Could you tell me if my aunty Charlie is in the same room she was in last time I came to see her?" VJ asked

"Let me just have a look" The woman said, stalling until Leah approached the desk

"Sorry, that's Charlie Buckton" Leah told the woman, who instantly knew who VJ was on about

"Yes, she's in the same room" The woman smiled

"Thank you" VJ smiled

"Thanks" Leah said to the woman before chasing VJ again.

"Leah and her little one are coming to visit Charlie a little bit later" Ross told Ruby and Morag as they turned the last corner to where Charlie's room was.

"You mean VJ dad?" Ruby asked

"Yes, VJ" Ross smiled

"That'll be good. Having new faces to talk to rather than us" Morag smiled

Ruby stopped and looked to Morag again. this is weird

Angelo sat outside the room, waiting for Ross, Morag and Ruby to return. He didn't want to go into the room by himself, because he would never come out.

"Hey" Angelo said as he saw Ruby

"How long have you been here?" Ruby asked as she hugged Angelo

"Not long" Angelo replied

"What's that for Ruby?" Ross asked as he saw Ruby pulling away from Angelo

"I just have days where I need one" Ruby replied. Angelo knew what she meant, but she didn't think Ross and Morag fully understood.

VJ and Leah came around the corner. VJ still had a huge smile on his face, which seemed to get bigger the closer he got to the door.

"Hey mate" Ruby said as she saw VJ

"Hi Ruby. Hi Morag. Hi Ross. Hi Angelo" VJ replied

"Where's your mum?" Ross asked as he looked down the corridor

"Somewhere" VJ smiled

Leah walked around the corner. "VJ! How many times have I told you. Wait for me please"

"Sorry mum" VJ sadly said, but he couldn't stay sad for long.

"Hey guys. How are you?" Leah said as she hugged Ruby

"Were fine. But, about Charlie" Ross began

"She's sicker, isn't she?" VJ asked, this time, staying sad

"She's not sicker VJ, she's just really really tired" Angelo told the sad VJ

Morag turned to Leah and mouthed REHAB.

"VJ, remember I told you about rehab?"

"And the soup?"

"And the soup. Well, the rehab was more than she was expecting"

VJ looked confused. "Charlie ate too much soup?" He asked

Ruby and Angelo laughed.

"You could say that" Leah smiled

"But I can still see her right?"

"Oh yes, of course you can" Ross smiled

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Roman walked along the beach taking huge strides as he did. Nicole couldn't keep up.

"Roman!" Nicole shouted one last time.

Roman stopped in his tracks and turned around.

"What else is going on?" Nicole asked

"Nothing"

"Don't lie to me Roman. I saw the way you were at the house. What aren't you telling me?"

Nicole walked up to Roman. As she stood beside him, she glanced into his teary eyes. She saw a look in his eyes that she had seen in her own only the year before. The look of pain over loosing someone they love. The look of desperation to tell their feelings to someone.

"Dad, please" Nicole begged one last time.

Roman never said a word.

"Is there another woman?" Nicole asked

Nicole knew she was right by the way Roman's body language changed. "Who is she? Not the woman from the bar?"

Roman shook his head.

"Well, then who?"

"Leah"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VJ and Leah walked up to Charlie.

Charlie was still sound asleep after her rehab.

The machine beeped as it noted how many drops of fluids were entering her body.

"Didn't I have to have that?" VJ asked as he pointed to the drip

"Something like that, only Charlie's is a lot stronger than yours was" Leah answered

"I wish that was a cast and not that" VJ said as he pointed to the pins and bars that were exposed from under the covers

"Why?"

"Because I can draw on a cast, I can't draw on that"

A smile appeared on Charlie's face.

"I'll get one soon I hope" Charlie replied as she began to wake up

"Aunty Charlie" VJ smiled

"Hey mate" Charlie smiled back. "Hi Leah" Charlie said as she gave VJ a hug

"How are you doing?" Leah asked

"I'm good. Rehab yesterday went good, but I'm so tired now. But not sleepy tired though, just achy tired"

"I know what you mean. That's the worst, it took one week for me to get back to normal"

"That's comforting" Charlie smiled

"Aunty Charlie?"

"Yes VJ"

"I got you something. I made it at school" VJ said as he took a folder from his bag.

Leaving Ross and Morag outside Charlie's room, Angelo and Ruby walked down the corridor.

"What's wrong?" Ruby asked Angelo as he looked down at his feet when he walked

"Nothing" Angelo replied

"Don't lie. You were weird yesterday when we were at rehab"

"I've just got a lot going through my head at the minute Ruby" Angelo snapped. "Sorry"

"This wouldn't have anything to do with Charlie would it?" Ruby asked

"Why would you ask that?"

"I have eyes Angelo. And I've seen how you act around Charlie"

"What?"

"Before the accident, you were always playful with her"

"Playful?" Angelo asked

"Yea, that thing two people do when they like each other but wont admit to it"

"I don't like Charlie"

"I never said that. And I know you don't like her"

"Good" Angelo replied

"You love her" Ruby added

Angelo never said a word.

"Take it from you lack of noise I'm right"

"I can't explain it Rubes" Angelo began "I have always valued my friendship with Charlie and the more time I spent working with her, the more I liked her. And then when the robbery happened at the fish market and Charlie talked the robber out of shooting her, I realized that I felt something for her. And it never went away"

"Why didn't you tell her?" Ruby asked

"Charlie was with Roman. And I know she wouldn't have left Roman for me"

"You don't know that. When that robbery happened Charlie and Roman had the hugest fight ever. Nicole and I were too scared to leave her room"

"I don't know if I should be talking to you about this stuff" Angelo said when he realized who he was talking to

"Why not?"

"Because Charlie is your m...s.. because you will probably tell Charlie"

"Angelo, you listened to a lot of what I told you, and you never told Charlie anything I didn't want you to tell her. I'm not going to say anything, although, I think you should tell her" Ruby replied

"You're just like Charlie you know" Angelo smiled

"How do you mean?" Ruby asked

"Even though you're going through something worse, you always find a way to help someone else"

"Thanks" Ruby smiled. "And, about Charlie..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VJ handed Charlie the folder.

On the black front the words CHARLIE RUBY VJ and LEAH were written in silver.

Charlie opened the folder:

Aunty Charlie: (there is a picture of Charlie and VJ after they have played football on the beach) This is my aunty Charlie. She lives with me and mum. She is one of my favorite aunty's. Aunty Charlie will play football with me, she is better than my mum. I love Charlie very much and when my mum isn't here, she reads stories to me and gets me ready for bed.

Ruby: (There is a picture of VJ and Ruby eating breakfast when they are on school holidays) This is Ruby, she is aunty Charlie's little sister. I love her very much too. She helps me with my homework and is a very good friend to have

A lone tear fell down Charlie's face.

(Charlie is pictured with Angelo in there uniforms. They look very happy [almost like a couple]) This is aunty Charlie in her uniform. She is a police officer. She once let me play in the car when she and Angelo came to my school for a day. Angelo is aunty Charlie's friend.

Charlie kept looking through the folder VJ had made. Each picture told the story of what was happening on that day. But the one thing Charlie noticed on each picture with her and Angelo was the way they looked.

"VJ, this is so special. I love it" Charlie smiled

"Really?" VJ asked

"Really. I love how you've written little bits next to each picture"

"I made ages ago, and I was going to bring it in when I first saw you. But I'm glad I didn't"

"Why?" Charlie asked as she wiped her face

"Do you feel any better?" VJ asked

"Much better" Charlie smiled

"That's why"

Charlie smiled when she realized what VJ was meaning. "I fell so much better VJ. Thank you so much for making this for me"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Half an hour later

VJ and Leah had left, Morag and Ross had seen Charlie briefly -they wanted to leave her to rest to be ready for her next rehab session tomorrow- and Angelo and Ruby had returned from the long trip to the car.

"Which one of us is going to go first?" Angelo asked as he sat down on the chairs.

"It'll have to be me wont it" Ruby said as she looked to the door.

Charlie placed the folder VJ had given her on the table next to her. She smiled when she thought of how much effort VJ had put into doing that for her. But the smile was bigger when she thought of all the pictures that had been taken. They were a mix of natural poses and of forced poses and of candid pictures. The one that made Charlie laugh was the one where her, Ruby and Angelo had been dunked in the paint at the summer fair that took place in the bay five months previous.

"Charlie?" Ruby said as she entered the room

"Rubes? Where have you been? Dad and Morag have gone"

"I know. I need to talk to you about something" Ruby said as she played with her fingers

"About what?" Charlie asked

"About when you get out of hospital"

"Rubes.."

"No, let me finish"

A tear rolled down Charlie's face.

"I think it would be a good idea if we move in with dad and Morag. That way there will be three of us to help you if you needed it"

"Rubes, you still want to live with me?" Charlie asked

"I'm not going to lie to you Charlie, but, whilst you've been in here, I've had a chance to think. I can't even begin to imagine what you were going through, how everything felt, how differently you were treated. And, I don't want you going through all of that again"

"So.." Charlie asked

"We're ok, Charlie"

Thank you for the lovely comments.. :wub:

Carina: hope you had a lovely holiday!!

*Contains similar scenes/events like the show*

Again, this is a mix of things, I just want to tie up loose ends before I get any further along, I hope it's not getting too confusing/boring

Chapter 53

We're ok, Charlie.

The words echoed through Charlie's head as she found herself falling asleep. A smile was on her face through out the night. Never did she think Ruby would ever say that to her, not after hearing the truth about her parentage.

We're ok, Charlie

Ruby looked up to the ceiling as she thought about what she had said to Charlie. She hadn't lied, she was ok with everything, the only thing she wasn't sure of was what others would think when they found out. Something like this couldn't be kept quiet for long, and Ruby didn't want to not have any answers to tell people. Ruby knew that she was an only child, she knew Charlie is her mum, she knew Ross is her grandfather, and she knew that Morag is her step-grandmother. But she was unsure of what to call them now. Every time she would say dad, would it remind Charlie of what 'he' looked like and how that night haunted her. Every time she called Charlie, Charlie would it kill her inside to hear her name rather than what she was?

Ruby felt herself fall back to where she was after she had found out the truth. Questioning everything and confused with everything.

You love her

Angelo heard Ruby tell him that he loved Charlie on the drive home.

How does Ruby and Morag know? Do I have a neon sign above my head that says 'I LOVE CHARLIE'? And if Ruby and Morag can tell, why can't Charlie? Oh my god, she doesn't feel the same way. Angelo you idiot. Charlie doesn't like you in that way, your her colleague. Nothing more. Only friends, nothing more. But why not? You love her, so just tell her, you never know, she might have feelings for you. But why would she? She had Roman, but he wasn't good enough for her. Neither am I. But I would treat her right. Shower her with gifts, make her know how much I love her, be there for her when she is sad, let her take her anger out on me, laugh with me when we are happy. Angelo come on, Charlie doesn't like you like that. Get over your little crush and get over Charlie.

Charlie. Charlie. How can I get over Charlie? I love her

Angelo pulled his car into the side of the road. Flashes of him and Charlie went through his mind.

The time they first met:

Charlie spoke into the radio, looking out to the ocean. Angelo got in the police car with his box of donuts and two cups of coffee. Charlie quickly turned to face him. "Who are you?" She asked "I'm Angelo, your new partner"

The time a report of a man swimming in the sea with no bathing suit on:

Charlie and Angelo ran on to the beach. The man was walking out through the waves. Bystanders watched as the man washed himself with the sea water. "Sir? I'm gonna have to ask you to come out of the water and put some bottoms on" Angelo shouted. The man turned around. Charlie -and the female bystanders- turned their heads. "No" The man replied. "What are you doing?" Charlie asked as Angelo began to remove his clothes. "I'll have to go get him" Angelo replied as he picked the mans trunks up, his nose wrinkled up. Angelo and the man walked out of the sea, Angelo walked over to Charlie who was laughing at him. "Seem me in my undies now, no going back" Angelo joked. "Shut up" Charlie laughed as she gently hit him on the arm.

The time Angelo realized, he liked Charlie more than a friend:

"Watson, Avery, Manning, Rosetta and Buckton. In need of back up at the warehouse on Coppertone Wharf".

Angelo, Charlie, Georgina, Harry and Mike all headed towards the wharf, prepared for anything. They were geared up everything they would need.

As they headed inside, Angelo and Charlie came face to face with one of the armed robbers. "Drop your weapon" Angelo shouted as he aimed his gun at the man. The man placed his gun on the floor, Angelo moved forward cautiously to move it, as he did, the man hit Angelo on the back of the head. The man grabbed another gun from his back pocket and aimed it at Charlie.

Grabbing the back of his head, Angelo rolled over to watch as the man had forced Charlie into placing her own gun on the floor. He had his gun touching her forehead. The terror was seen in Charlie's eyes. "If you shoot me, you'll go down even longer". "Shut up. Let me think" The man panicked "Do you really think shooting me will help you escape? One you fire that gun all the officer will be on you quicker than you think. Hand yourself in" Charlie said to the man, her body shaking with fear. "I'll go down for ages. No parole, no nothing" The man replied "You don't know that. Put the gun on the floor, and we can find out" Charlie said one last time. The man removed his finger from the trigger. Placing the gun on the floor he broke down in tears. Charlie quickly handcuffed the man and lead him out to the police car. Watson and Avery took him away. Angelo came out of the warehouse, he saw how sheepish Charlie looked.

"That was so brave" Angelo said as he walked over to Charlie and took her in his arms. "Oh my god. You're shaking" Charlie nestled into Angelo, still shaking with fear.

And the time he and Charlie nearly kissed:

Charlie looked into Angelo's eyes. Angelo looked into Charlie's eyes. The rain soaked them even more. But they didn't care. Leaning in towards each other, they felt the heat, the attraction, the pull that brought them to where they were. Their lips nearly met when the radio buzzed

Maybe she does feel something for me after all

Angelo pulled back on to the road and headed back to the hospital.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you going to tell Leah?" Nicole asked as she got herself some breakfast.

"When am I supposed to tell her Nic? And how?"

"You're at work today, tell her then. And you could explain everything to her whilst you're at it" Nicole suggested

"Maybe. I just don't want to scare her"

"If you tell her the truth she won't be scared off. All you have to tell her is what you told me. That you still love Charlie, but that you love her too"

"Can't you tell her for me?" Roman asked

"Yea, because that isn't weird" Nicole replied

"I don't want this blowing up in my face. Leah's been through a lot recently, and she's only just starting to get on top of it all"

"What's Leah been through?" Nicole asked

"VJ was in hospital with appendicitis, Charlie is in the hospital and those two are best friends and I'm about to tell her that I love them both. Oh god this is a bad idea" Roman replied

"You have to do it though dad. The longer you wait the harder it will get" Nicole replied

"Have you got fortune cookies in your bedroom or something?"

Nicole smiled "No. I'm just glad I can help you with something"

Thank you Danni, Carina and Mel. :wub:

This chapter is mostly about Charlie, Angelo, Ruby, Ross and Morag.

Chapter 54

Angelo had been sat in his car for nearly three hours. He didn't realize it was the middle of the night. He felt like an idiot. He was just about to burst into Charlie's room and tell her how he felt. Luckily though, he looked at one of the many clocks around the hospital and saw it said 00:45.

Angelo watched as the busy life at the hospital continued as dawn approached. It was the longest wait he ever had to do. And Angelo was not patient at all. 03:45. Only six more hours. Idiot. Why didn't you just go home?

Angelo's phone rang.

"Hello?...You what?...When?.....Are you sure it was them?.....Right, I'm on my way" Angelo hung up from his call, started his car up and took one last look at the hospital.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby awoke early to begin the task of packing all of her's and Charlie's things from Leah's house. Ruby hadn't told Leah yet, only Ross and Morag knew that her and Charlie were moving in with them until was well enough. Ruby had no idea how long that would be for, and what would happen afterward, but for now, the living situation for her and Charlie was good.

Ruby reached in the closet for the suitcases she and Charlie used when they first moved into Leah's house. Nearly three years ago. Ruby slowly walked away from the suitcases she had left on the floor. Sitting slowly down on the edge of the bed, Ruby looked around the room. Remembering all the conversations that had gone on in there. All the laughs her and Charlie had had whenever Ross and Morag stayed over.

They're relationship had been through so much -even before Ruby found out Charlie was her mum- and they still had a great one at the end of it all. Ruby rose to her feet and picked the suitcases up. She threw them back into the closet and walked out of the room. She glanced at the clock 07:45.

Walking into the kitchen, Leah greeted Ruby with a big smile and a "Morning"

"Morning" Ruby replied as she sat herself down next to VJ

"You ok? You don't look so good" Leah asked as she put some toast on the table

"I've just, been thinking again, about Charlie and everything"

"What about Charlie?" Leah asked

Ruby looked to Leah. She remembered that Leah wouldn't have a clue about what Ruby was going on about. "Erm, never mind, its ok"

"Is it about what's going to happen when Charlie is discharged from hospital?" Leah asked, taking a stab in the dark

"Actually yea" Ruby smiled, knowing she didn't have to tiptoe around the subject.

"Well, I thought VJ could move into your room upstairs and I can move into Charlie's upstairs, so that you and Charlie can have our bedrooms down stairs so Charlie has no stairs to contend with, and there is a bathroom downstairs to so you can share that. And when the brace comes off and she is able to use the stairs, maybe we could switch rooms again"

"You'd really do that?" Ruby asked, obviously touched by Leah's selflessness

"Of course I would. You and Charlie are like family to us" Leah smiled

"I'll call dad and Morag then" Ruby smiled

"About what?" Leah asked as she joined Ruby and VJ at the table

"I had thought about Charlie and I moving in with them, you know, so Charlie has three of us there when she needs us"

"Oh, well, if you still wanted to do that then..."

"Leah, no. I'd like to stay here if that's ok. I think it will do Charlie good" Ruby smiled "And me" She whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morag walked into the kitchen where Ross was eating his pancakes with syrup.

"That was Ruby. She said she needs to talk to us and that she'll meet us at the hospital before Charlie's rehab session" Morag told Ross as she put her mobile in her handbag

"Did she say what about?" Ross asked

"No. If she did, then we wouldn't have to meet earlier" Morag smiled

Morag sat with Ross and helped herself to two pancakes. She covered them with syrup and put on some fruit.

"Putting fruit on it doesn't make it healthier you know" Ross smiled as he watched Morag place the fruit on her plate

"I know, it adds color"

"What time is Charlie's rehab?" Ross asked

"An hour and a half. So we should meet Ruby in about half an hour" Morag replied as hse looked at her watch.

08:15

Ruby stood, cuddling herself as the cold wind blew over her. Waiting for Morag and Ross to arrive.

She thought about what she was going to tell them, and how they would react, but in the long run, staying at Leah's was the right thing to do.

Morag pulled her black car into the space near the entrance to the hospital. Ruby smiled when she saw them.

"Hi" Ruby said as Morag and Ross walked over to her

"Hello darling" Ross smiled as he hugged Ruby.

"Hi Morag" Ruby smiled as she looked to Morag

Morag smiled.

"Can we go in? I'm freezing" Ruby said as she turned her body towards the hospital

"What did you want to talk to us about?" Morag asked as she sat down with Ross and Ruby at one of the canteen tables.

"Charlie" Ruby smiled

"Is that smile a good thing, or a bad thing?" Ross asked

"Both" Ruby replied "I talked to Leah this morning, and she says its still ok for Charlie and I to live there once Charlie is discharged"

"But, I thought you wanted to move out so that it made things easier for you both" Ross replied

"At first yea, I did. But when I was starting to pack a few things in some suitcases, I thought about everything Charlie and I have been through since moving here. And I'm not talking about this sister mother thing, I'm talking about Roman, about the storm, about Xavier. Everything that's happened has tested us, and we've still remained close. Looking at those suitcases reminded me why we moved here. And, packing them again doesn't seem right. I want to pack them when Charlie and I move into our own house together or when I move out. Not to make things easier when we've been tested again"

"So. You really want this?" Ross asked

"Yea. I want to work this out" Ruby replied

"And what are you going to tell Leah about recent events?" Morag asked

"I still have to talk to Charlie about that. But, at the moment, I have no idea"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Georgina handed Angelo the picture of the screen shot that was taken three hours ago.

"That's her" Angelo told Georgina

"You sure?"

"You're asking me if I'm sure that this is the woman who pushed the boat onto Charlie? Yes, I'm sure" Angelo snapped

"Sorry, I'm just making sure we have everything we need" Georgina replied

"I know, I'm sorry. I just want to get these guys" Angelo replied as he hit his hand on the desk

"I know you do. And we will get them" Georgina said to Angelo as she placed her hand on top of his. "How is Charlie anyway?"

"She's getting there slowly." Angelo smiled

"We have something for her, but none of us have had time to drop it off. With all these cases going on and with two cops off.."

"Well, I'm back next week so, I can give a really big hand. And as for the present I'll take it with me know. I'm going to see Charlie now. Its her rehab session in a bit"

"Rehab?" Georgina asked confused

"To help her walk. She's doing really well" Angelo smiled

"Oh right. Give her my love wont you? I really miss her, having another woman around here"

"I will" Angelo smiled.

Georgina walked into the office and came out carrying a huge bouquet of flowers and an even bigger card.

"Well at least no one will walk into me" Angelo laughed when he saw the size of the present.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ruby, Ross and Morag made there way up to Charlie's room. Her rehab started at 9:15 and it was now 9:10.

"Are you going to tell her before or after?" Ross asked

"After. I can't tell her everything in five minutes"

Ruby looked down the corridor. GET WELL SOON was walking towards her.

"Angelo?" Ruby laughed.

The card moved and Angelo popped his head from behind the card. "Its from the station" Angelo replied

"What were you doing there?" Morag asked

"I'll tell you when I see Charlie. It involves her"

The four of them walked into Charlie's room. Charlie laughed when she saw the size of the card and flowers.

"We're did they come from?" Charlie asked as she composed herself

"From the guys at work. I got a call from them earlier"

"About what?" Charlie asked as she smelt the flowers

"They know where the guys are that put you in here are" Angelo smiled

Carina, Mel, Danni, Sarah & Charmed60 Thank you so much for the lovely comments.

And :) for those who read

Chapter 55

Roman walked into the diner. Preparing himself for what he was about to do. He had tried to back out of going to work, a lot. Firstly he hid his car keys so he could go anywhere, but Nicole found them. Then he threw himself down the stairs, but again, Nicole saw him 'fall' and Knew he was stalling. Eventually Nicole had to tell him one last time that this was what was for the best. He had to tell Leah how he felt, about her and Charlie. Otherwise, it wasn't fair on Leah, been sent all kins of signals from Roman.

Roman stood and looked around the diner, seeing if he could see Leah running around like she always seemed to every morning. When he wasn't able to see her, Roman walked into the kitchen and put his apron on and washed his hands, ready to begin his day of work.

"G'day darl" Irene smiled as she walked into the kitchen

"Morning Irene" Roman replied.

"How's Nicole doing now?" Irene asked

Roman looked confused. "Sorry, its just, last time I saw Nicole, she wasn't doing to well with everything that was going on"

"Oh right. Yea, sorry. She's good. She went to see Charlie at the hospital, that's seemed to do her the world of good. And she's been really helpful with me. Helping me get through my things" Roman replied

"Good. I'm glad. Poor girl, she looked dreadful. Come to think of it, I was if I'm honest"

"Oh yea, you were there weren't you?" Roman remembered

"Yea, but, I'm trying to push it out of my head. Charlie's ok and that's the main thing" Irene smiled

"Yea, it is"

Irene picked up the two plates from the unit and headed out into the main part of the diner. Leah smiled as she walked passed her.

"Morning Roman" Leah smiled

"Morning" Roman replied "What's that smile on your face for?" Roman asked, noticing the smile on Leah's face that brighten her whole face up.

"Charlie and Ruby are staying with us. They're not going to Ross and Morag's place like was first decided"

"That's good. But hows that going to work? Charlie sleeps upstairs" Roman said as he remembered the layout of the house from when he stayed over a few times

"We're swapping rooms. Charlie and me and Ruby and VJ."

"So I take it Charlie has the all-clear from the hospital?" Roman asked

"No, not yet. Ruby was just planning ahead. Charlie has today's rehab to do and then two more and then she has an assessment I think" Leah replied, trying to remember the conversation she had with Charlie when she visited

"Oh right." Roman smiled "Erm, Leah. I have to talk to you about something. When we finish work, is there any chance you could come over to my place?"

"I have VJ to get from school and down to the beach. His school have their volleyball tournament. YOu could come and watch if you like? And we could talk then" Leah suggested, oblivious to the look on Roman's face.

"Sounds good" Roman replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xavier walked over to his locker. Next to his was Ruby's. He gently placed his hand on it and sighed. He never realized how much he relied on school to see her. It was only now that they were apart that he realized how much he missed and cared for Ruby.

"She'll be back soon" Nicole said as she walked up to Xavier

"I know. I just miss her" Xavier replied

"Me too. But she wants to be there for Charlie. And who wouldn't?" Nicole smiled

"How are things with you and your dad?" Xavier asked, changing the subject

"Good. A lot better then they were. We're talking more which is good. And he's told me why he did what he did. And now he's going to tell someone what he feels" Nicole replied, surprised with herself for how honest she was been.

"Who?" Xavier asked

"Who what?" Romeo asked as he walked up to Xavier and Nicole.

"Roman is telling someone something" Xavier answered

"Wow, that's not interesting. At all. Anyway, have you heard?" Nicole and Xavier shook their heads "Apparently the cops have found the guys who robbed the hut on the wharf and nearly killed Charlie and Angelo"

"Does Ruby know?" Xavier asked with a smile on his face

"I'm pretty sure Angelo has already told them" Romeo laughed

"Oh yea" Xavier said when he heard what he said

"So what will happen now?" Nicole asked

"I guess, they'll have a court hearing or something. Wont they?" Romeo replied

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tears rolled down Charlie's face as did a smile.

"Where?" Ruby asked

"About thirty miles from here. They were first spotted six days ago in the area. But with that picture, we can prove that its them so now we can finally bring them to justice" Angelo smiled

"That's fantastic Charlie!" Morag smiled.

Charlie nodded, the smile and the tears were still on her face.

"What's wrong?" Ruby asked

"Its been a month nearly. I never thought they'd be caught" Charlie replied, her voice barely audible

"Well they have been. Or at least they are about to. So now you can solely focus on walking again." Ross smiled

"Speaking of that" Morag said as the door opened.

"Ready for another go?" Tish bubbly said as she walked in the room with a wheelchair

Charlie wiped the tears from her face and -as though the news of finding the guys and the card and flowers from the station gave her an energy boost- Charlie began to get herself out of bed.

Tish was about to aid Charlie as she began to maneuver herslef to get out of bed

"Wait" Angelo said as he blocked Tish's path with his arm

Standing back to watch, Tish, Angelo, Ruby, Morag and Ross looked carefully at Charlie as she pushed herself to the sitting position. The action itself caused Charlie a great deal of pain, but, what was she to expect?. Charlie took a deep breath as she grabbed her right leg to swing it round so that it would dangle over the side of the bed. When she felt her foot touch the bars on the under part of the bed, Charlie easily swung her left leg to join her right over the edge of the bed. Charlie smiled when she had completed something she was unable to do a couple of weeks ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VJ ran along the beach, chasing after his friends. Laughing as he caught up with them, and throwing the ball at them until the teacher arrived.

Leah waved at VJ as she sat on one of the benches with Roman, who looked worried.

"Roman you ok?" Leah asked as she put her hair bahind her ears

"Actually no. I've something to tell you, but don't know how you're going to take it and I don't want there to be any weirdness between us"

"Whoa, Roman, What is it you want to say?" Leah asked

"That day, when we kissed. I, panicked afterward. But for stupid reasons"

"Roman.."

"No, let me finish" Roman butted in "I still love Charlie, we were together for three years, but I also love you. And I had no right to mess you about the way I did. I'm sorry Leah"

"Roman, I know you still love Charlie, three years is a long time, especially with what you went through" Leah replied

"But, I want to be with you. I love you" Roman repeated "But, I understand if you can't love me"

"Roman shh. I've loved you for I don't know how long. But, I haven't done anything about it because of Charlie" Leah confessed

"Because of what I did to her?" Roman asked

"No, because she is my best friend. Its killing me that I haven't told her about our kiss, I want to, and I want to start dating you, but. Charlie" Leah replied

"I understand. I just thought I should tell you how I felt before it was too late"

"I ahve to talk to Charlie first Roman. I can't do this to her" Leah told Roman as she took his hand.

VJ watched from the beach. A smile swept across his face when he saw them hold hands

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tish looked over the notes Jenny had made and the readings from the machines Charlie was attached to.

"Jenny, this reading. Was it taken before of after Charlie's lung repair?"

"Let me see" Jenny replied as she took the paper. "That one is from before and that one is after" Jenny replied as she pointed to the two readings.

"I'll go break the news to her" Tish replied to Jenny as she raised her eyebrows.

Jenny smiled and nodded.

"Knock, knock. Only me" Tosh said as she let herself into Charlie's room.

Charlie pushed herself up the bed. Ruby moved slightly to allow Charlie a little more room.

"How are you feeling?" Tish asked Charlie

"Tired, but, not like I was yesterday" Charlie replied

"Well, I have the results from the checks myself and my assistant Jenny have been making during your recovery. As you know, we've checked the readings from the heart monitor and breathing apparatus, and we've also closely watched you during your rehab sessions" Tish explained.

"And what have you come up with?" Ross impatiently asked, not liking to be left in suspense

"Well"......

Carina, Danni, Idscott, Mel, Sarah Thank you for your lovely comments! I love reading them :wub:

Lino: Hope you had good holiday xx

Charlie29: Thanks for what you liked, I'm glad you're liking it :)

Charis: Thank you for the LONG comment of what you liked about each chapter. It was nice to read what parts stuck out in your mind. And I'm glad I can portray the 'right' feelings regarding Charlie's recovery

So, THANK YOU all SO MUCH I love reading all your comments xx

Chapter 56

What's she going to say? That'll I never walk properly again. That I'll always have a brace over my leg? That I wont be able to work? That I'll be classed as disabled for the rest of my life, confined to a wheelchair with people staring at me as I'm wheeled passed?

I don't think I should be told that. I feel that I'm getting the hang of walking again. Ok, maybe I'm knackered afterward, but, I'm not used to the extra weight on my leg. She even told me that at the start of rehab. Oh god, and what's this going to do to dad? And Ruby? Who'll look after me? Who'll look after them? Morag? I can't ask her to do that, she's done too much already. Please be good news, I can't bare the thought of been a burden on dad and Ruby

Tish has a smile on her face. That's good right? Or is it one of those sympathetic looks nurses have when they break bad news to someone. Oh my god, what's this going to do to Charlie? She's been doing so well with her walking, I've been proud of her taking steps, just like she would have been when I started to walk. She was there when I took my first steps. I was there when she 'took' hers. We have so much to talk about. Please be good news. I don't know how Charlie will cope if its bad. Charlie wont let dad take care of her. She wont even let me, I can see it now. Even if I do argue with her.

It has to be good news. It just has to

No matter what happens, I'll be with her until the end. I hope its until the end of our lives, but even until the end of her hospital stay is good enough for me. Look at her, she looks scared. Almost like a roo in front of headlights. Should I hug her? If I do, what will she do? Will she let me or will she push me away? I'll do everything I can to help her through all of this. And I'll help Ruby and Ross, this has to so hard for them to watch, to live through. Even Morag, I've seen a side to her that I never thought I'd see. She really does care about Charlie and Ruby. I just hope Charlie has seen that. I'm sure she has.

Don't leave us in suspense any longer Tish, what have you found?

Good. Bad. Bad. Good. Which is it? My nerves can take this. I need to know for my daughter sake

Oh for goodness sake. Just tell us. This isn't a show, this is real life. We need to know what you've found. Charlie needs to know. We all need to know

"Well?" Morag impatiently asked

"The muscle strength in Charlie's right leg has improved massively from our first session until now. She is now able to support all her body weight on it like she would have been able to before the accident, her left leg doesn't seem to be affected by the added stress form her injured leg. This is something else we have been monitoring as any damage to her left leg at the moment will be irreversible. I feel confident enough in Charlie to say, that, we can use the crutches today rather than the bars and the walkway" Tish smiled

No one spoke. Everyone froze. Almost like they were slowly processing what they had heard.

Charlie sat on the edge of the bed. Her arms moved slightly on the bed to support herself as she stared at Tish.

Ruby slowly smiled when she looked to Charlie.

Angelo had a tear escape from his eye, as did Ross.

"That's great!" Morag screeched as she brought her hands up

"I'm ok?" Charlie asked, still in disbelief

"Yes, you're improving so well, keep this up and you'll be out in no time" Tish replied

"Charlie that's great!" Angelo said happily as he walked over to Charlie

Charlie brought her hands to her face. They shook as she wiped her face.

"Charlie?" Ross worryingly asked

"I'm fine" Charlie smiled "This is fine" Charlie added as she looked down at the brace and placed her hand on it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VJ walked up to where Leah and Roman were. They quickly let go of hands when they saw the youngster walk to them.

"Good job VJ" Leah smiled

"Yea, well done mate" Roman added.

VJ screwed his face up. "What's the matter?" Leah asked

"I haven't played yet" VJ Replied

BUSTED Leah and Roman thought.

"I thought you were. You were throwing the ball" Leah quickly replied as Roman nodded in agreement

"I'm not stupid. I saw what you guys were doing from the beach. You were holding hands"

Leah and Roman uncomfortably looked at each other. "Roman was just telling me something VJ" Leah told her son, hoping to throw him off scent

"Mum, I saw it. You weren't talking about anything" VJ replied

Roman looked helplessly to Leah, hoping she could cover up what VJ had seen.

"What do you think it was?" Leah asked

"Are you and Roman going out?" VJ asked

Leah's eyebrows raised "Erm.."

"Because if you are, I'm ok with it" VJ smiled

"Really?" Leah asked, shocked

"I like Roman. He's cool" VJ replied as he threw the ball in the air and caught it

"Really?" Leah asked again, to receive a slight hit from Roman

"Yea. So are you?" VJ asked again

"I'll let you know soon, ok" Leah replied, not wanting to get his hopes up. Charlie was still to be spoken to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xavier exhaled loudly as he, Romeo and Nicole tried to study in the library.

"Shhh!" The woman at the desk said to Xavier

"Sorry" Xavier replied as he looked to the woman

"Take it you still miss Ruby?" Nicole whispered

"Course I do. I've gone from seeing her everyday to practically seeing her never" Xavier whispered back

"Why don't you go see her? I'm sure she'd like the distraction from the hospital" Nicole suggested

"I don't know. What about Charlie?" Xavier asked

"I'm sure Charlie doesn't want Ruby stuck in the hospital with her all the time. I'm sure it'll be alright" Nicole replied

"Would you just go? You're driving me insane with the whole *Sigh, I miss Ruby* Blah blah blah" Romeo siad

"Thanks for that" Xavier smiled

"Just go, I'm sure your mum would understand, given the circumstances" Romeo added

"I guess." Xavier thought. "You guys gonna come?"

"Why? She's not our girlfriend" Romeo asked

"No, but she isyour friend. She probably want to see you two to"

"Yea, but can we all go?" Nicole asked

"Like Romeo just said, I'm sure mum would understand" Xavier replied with a sly smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie sat and stared at the two bars in the middle of the room. They didn't look so scary now. More like a friend. A companion. Something she would love to use to help her walk again and again. No longer were her hands sweaty or trembling, no longer was her head spinning with the thought of using her arms to take on leg's weight. No longer was she feeling scared to use the bars. In fact, she wished she could use them now. This very second.

Not the two silver sticks that were leaning against the wall next to her.

Charlie's next challenge: Mastering the crutches.

Charlie looked to her leg. No way was she going to get to grips with walking using the crutches with a bulk like that.

Tish came into view.

"You ready?"

Danni, Sarah, Carina, Lisa lino. Thank you so much for the comments :) I love them.

Charis: Long is fine, Its insightful! :D

Chapter 57

As it was the end of lunch, Nicole, Xavier and Romeo quickly ran to the office to speak to Gina before she went into her afternoon meeting.

Students pilled into their classrooms ready for the next lesson of the day. Sighs and chunters came from their mouths as they didn't want to do any classes. The sun was out and there was a sports event going on on the beach, coinsiding with the infants school sports.

"Sir? Can't we go to the beach and watch the sports?" One student asked

"No, because the sports are for the primary school. Not us. Our turn is next week" Miles replied

"But thats agaes away"

"You can wait." Miles replied as he pointed to the boy's seat.

"Sir? Isn't Xavier and Romeo supposed to be in here?"

"They will be" Miles replied as he looked over his shoulder to look out of the room.

"Mrs. Austin" Romeo said as the teens approached her.

"Yes Romeo?" Gina replied as she held her notes for the meeting

"I know we've had a lot of time off recently, but.." Romeo began

"I've heard about Charlie's progress. Ross rung me for Ruby's sake. If you've come to ask for a pass to leave the school to go see Ruby and Charlie, you mat, but, on Saturday you will have to do two hours study in the library with me" Gina replied

"Sounds fair" Nicole replied

"Off you go. I'll tell your teachers" Gina smiled

Mr. Looms walked down the corridor and saw Xavier, Romeo and Nicole leave the school. Sternly walking towards Gina, he instantly marked what he had witnessed down.

"Are you aware that the classrooms are this way?" Mr. Looms said as he pointed to the classroom where Miles was looking out of.

"I'm fully aware of where the classrooms are." Gina replied in the same tone she had been spoken to.

"Well, why have three students walked out of the school?"

"Can we step into my office? I feel it better we talk in there, not out here"

"Very well."

"I'll be in in two minutes" Gina told the man as she headed to Miles.

"He's a happy soul" Miles smiled

"He's from the board. I have to speak to him about all the time off Ruby has had"

"Her sister was crushed by a boat. Surely they can understand that school is the last thing on Ruby's mind"

"They don't know the full story. They haven't given me chance to explain. Also, Xavier, Romeo and Nicole have a pass to leave the school. Could you make some notes for them please"

"Sure. Where've they gone?" Miles replied

"Hospital"

"Nothing bad for Ruby or Charlie I hope" Miles asked concerned

"No. They're both fine" Gina replied, feeling Miles didn't really have to know what Ross told her.

"Ok, fair enough. I'll let Nicole's teacher know" Miles smiled

"Thanks"

"Good luck" Miles laughed as he pointed to the office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As they continued to watch VJ play on the beach with all his friends, Roman and Leah happily held hands. Leah smiled as she looked to Roman and then to VJ who laughed at his friend as they failed to catch the ball.

Roman saw the happiness in Leah's eyes. He could tell she was happy with this particular moment. With the company she had and the thoughts she had about him.

"So.." Roman began

"What are you thinking?" Leah added as she continued to watch her son

"About?..."

"What you were going to ask me" Leah smiled as she turned to face Roman.

"What makes you say I was going to ask you something?" Roman smiled

"I can see it in your eyes"

"You know what I see in your eyes?" Leah shook her head "Happiness. Worry"

"Worry?" Leah asked

"About Charlie. You don't know what you're going to say do you, or what sh'es going to say"

"I have an idea" Leah replied as she thought back to her last couple of chats with Charlie.

"Care to share?" Roman asked

"Nope" Leah teased "But, when I'm ready to speak, I'll let you know"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Griping the handles tighter than she ever thought possible, Charlie tried to steady her shaking hands. The trembling was made more obvious by the way the crutches swayed.

"Don't be nervous" Tish soflty spoke. "You can do this"

Charlie nodded. Rather unconvincingly.

Staring at the wall that she had got to know very well, Charlie focused her eyes on the same point. Never looking to the side where Ross and Morag stood. Or behind her where Ruby and Angelo stood. Just in front where there were no distractions.

"Ok, I'm going to move my hands from you're waist ok, so I need you to take your own weight using both legs and the crutches to balnced yourself" Tish explained to Charlie.

Slowly moving her hands from Charlie's waist, Tish took a step backward.

Charlie felt herself sway, as though she was going to collapse. "Whoa" Charlie said as she felt herself go light headed.

"Easy" Tish said as she placed her hands back on Charlie's waist, to steady her.

"Sorry" Charlie cried

"You have nothing to be sorry for" Tish replied "It just takes a while to get use to. That's all"

"But its the same thing" Charlie replied, frustrated with herself.

"In a way, yes, it is the same. But going from two big bars either side of you to two crutches is a big change. You're not going to pick this up straight away. It'll take time. Remember how you were when you first did the bars? You wanted to give up as soon as you saw them. But the crutches? You were ready. You can do this Charlie, and you will get it" Tish told Charlie, bringing her hand on to Charlie's as a sign of comfort.

Angelo watched as Charlie struggled. "Here" Angelo said as he stepped in front of Charlie

"Angelo?" Ruby asked

Angelo took the duplicate pair of crutches that were leaning up against the wall. He placed his arms through the top part of the crutches and held on the handles. Looking to Charlie he smiled. Charlie smiled back at him when she saw what he was doing.

"Like this. I think" Angelo said. Standing on one foot, Angelo used the crutches to help him around the room.

Ross and Morag smiled as they saw what it was doing to Charlie's spirits. "Come on Charlie,if Angelo can do it. You can" Morag cheered

Charlie laughed as a couple of tears fell down her face.

Ruby walked beside Charlie. "I know you can do it" Ruby smiled as she placed her hand on Charlie's.

Charlie looked to her hand and then to Ruby.

Ruby smiled and brought her arms up to embrace Charlie in a hug.

Archived