I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

Danni, Carina, carywary, lino, Sarah. Glad you liked that chapter! Thank you so much for reading and commenting all the time. Its so nice to read your thoughts.

Hope you like this next chapter :)

Chapter 21

Ross stood there. Frozen.

His eyes fixated on the spot where Charlie once was.

Images of Charlie been restrained onto the bed flashed through his mind. He watched his own daughter been drugged to stop her hurting herself further. He never thought he'd see that. The images caused Ross' knees to weaken. But the standing support from Ruby in his arms kept him from falling.

Ruby continued to cry in Ross' embrace. She clung onto his shirt -Something she had always done when she was in need of comforting- crying into his chest.

Ruby sniffed. Still holding his shirt for comfort, Ruby turned her head to face the empty room. Never in her life had she seen something like that before. Nurses having to -practically- sit on top of Charlie to keep her on the bed.

If Charlie was willing to endanger her life further to keep me from leaving the room, I was lied to, to be protected Ruby thought as she looked at the space. Slowly she pulled herself away from Ross. The action caused Ross to jump slightly as he wasn't expecting any movement for a while. Ross looked into Ruby's eyes. He could see the mixture of emotions in each teardrop that fell. And with each teardrop. another part of him received another blow.

Unsure of what to say, Ross held firmly onto Ruby's hand.

"Ruby" Ross said sympathetically

"Don't. I need to, want to, hear it from Charlie. I have to. I'm sorry" Ruby replied, seeing the hurt in Ross' face. Ruby knew it killed him inside, but she needed to hear everything from Charlie, it was the only way she could come to terms with everything. Get her head around what happened.

"Ok" Ross replied, trying desperately not to show the devastation in his face.

~~~~~

Morag left Angelo's room. He had asked her to talk to him until he fell asleep. The question made him feel less of a man, but it was something he needed.

Morag had heard the concern Angelo had for Charlie, Ross and Ruby, not only in his voice, but in his facial expressions and in his mannerisms.

Morag took a deep breath and wiped the tears from her face. This had been the only time Morag had released the cries that had built over the last few days. Composing herself, Morag headed back to Charlie's room.

~~~~~

Leah looked over to the hospital. She didn't want to go in. Not only because she hated hospitals, but because Charlie was her friend, and she hated seeing her friends in pain.

"Mum?" VJ said as he unbuckled himself

"Yea?" Leah replied, wiping the tears from her face

"We don't have to go in if you don't want to" VJ said as he saw Leah wipe her face

Leah took VJ's hand. She was touched by what he had said. But she knew VJ wanted to see Charlie. "VJ. You wanted to come and see Charlie"

"I know. But if me wanting to visit Aunty Charlie is making you upset, then I don't want to see her"

"VJ. I'm not upset" Leah said

"Then why are you crying?" VJ asked, confused

"Because I've realized, Charlie has been in here for a few days and I haven't come to see her earlier" Leah lied

"Ok" VJ said, half smiling.

Leah and VJ got out of the car and made there way into the hospital.

~~~~~

Roman walked into the car park. His frustration clearly marked on his face.

A bin close to a car took the full force of his anger.

After the bin ended up at the other side of the car park, Roman collapsed to the floor as he realized his relationship with Charlie had too, come crashing to the ground. Trying to think of reasons why his relationship had failed, all of his thoughts led back to Charlie with Angelo. Seeing her laugh with him every time they came into the diner. Charlie's face lighting up when she spoke about Angelo.

~~~~~

Charlie was wheeled back into the room where she was before.

Ross and Ruby split apart as Ross rushed to Charlie's side.

Ruby stood back. Watching. Thinking of what hers and Charlie's next conversation was gong to be.

~~~~~~

PREVIEW

*Leah talks to Charlie and hears a shock confession.

*Angelo realizes he's in love

*Ruby talks to Bree again and asks for some advice

*Roman seeks comfort in someone he never thought about

*Ruby reaches a decision

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Danni, Sarah, Carina, Charis, lino for your comments! (And everyone who reads :wink: )

Thought you'd like the preview :):wink:

Chapter 22

Charlie sat up in bed. The pain she was in caused her to winch with every movement. She felt sick as she reached the sitting up position, but seeing Ruby in the room made that feeling disappear. She saw the sheer relief in her fathers face as she looked to her side, the tears that fell down his face showed how scared he was for Charlie. He had seen Charlie at her most unstable. Her actions nearly costing her, her life.

"I'm sorry dad" Charlie wept

"What have you got be sorry for?" Ross asked as he wiped the tear from Charlie's face.

Charlie couldn't speak. She felt ashamed for her actions. That wasn't Charlie's normal pattern of behavior. Last time she saw someone act like she did, Charlie had them in hand cuffs and they were sitting in the cell at the station.

"Everything" Charlie said, using all the strength she had left.

Ruby looked on from the back of the room. Seeing Charlie so broken was devastating. Charlie had always been so strong. When Elsie died, Charlie cared for Ross when he broke down in tears at the funeral. She was there for Ruby when she wouldn't speak to anyone.

"Charlie" Ruby said

Charlie looked over to Ruby. Hopeful for a chance to continue speaking to her. "Yea" Charlie replied

Ruby couldn't think of anything to say. She froze. Everything she wanted to say had left her mind. She couldn't remember what she wanted to say, to ask. Ruby slowly walked over to Charlie. Unsure of what would be made of the gesture, Ruby wrapped her arms around Charlie. Charlie's whole body relaxed from the warm embrace. Ross' eyes glazed over with tears of joy. "I'm glad you're ok" Ruby cried. Charlie nodded, not speaking as she didn't know what to say, worried that if she spoke, Ruby would pull away.

"Erm, I don't know what's going on in my head. I've got so many questions. But I need time to myself to figure out what I want to do. And I can't do that and be here with you. With all of you. I know you need me here for support. But until I know where I am, I can't give you that" Ruby said as she pulled away from Charlie.

Charlie nodded "I understand. You do what you need to do" Charlie replied.

Ruby smiled slightly, glad that Charlie understood that she needed the space to think. Charlie smiled back and squeezed Ruby's hand. Happy that Ruby was willing to think about everything, but crushed that she needs the space to do so.

"I'll see you soon" Ruby said as she walked out of the room.

~~~~~~

Morag watched as Ruby left Charlie's room. Ruby wiped the tears from her face. Morag wondered if she should chase after Ruby, but then she saw Ruby's body language chance, leaving Morag with a smile on her face.

Wiping the last of the remains of tears from her cheeks, Morag entered Charlie's room.

"Morag" Ross said as he looked over to his wife

"Ross" Morag smiled back. "Charlie. How are you feeling?"

"I'm alright." Charlie replied "Where've you been?" Charlie asked

"With Angelo. He asked me if I'd sit with him. He looked awful. He was sitting outside waiting for you to finish talking to Ruby" Morag said. After which, she realized that she told the wrong person

"I need to see him" Charlie said as she leaned forward. The action causing a rush of pain through Charlie's weak body.

"No. You're staying right here. I don't want you with anymore injuries. Look, you've already over done it" Ross said as he eased Charlie's head back to the pillow.

"Hey, how about I got to the cafeteria, get a couple of coffees and a juice for you" Morag said, trying to get Charlie's mind focussed on something else

"Fine" Charlie replied, taking the subtle hint.

Ross nodded. "Ok then" Morag said as she left the room.

~~~~~~

Leah and VJ made there way to Charlie's room. Each step Leah dreaded what she was going to say to Charlie. After all, Leah was Charlie's best friend and and she hadn't been in to see her since the day of the accident.

"I think this is it mum" VJ said as he stood outside the door. Leah looked at the name outside the door.

"Knock on the door then mate" Leah said.

Ross opened the door. Leah smiled at him when she saw his face. "Hi Ross"

"Hello Leah" Ross replied as he gave Leah a hug.

"Aunty Charlie" VJ smiled

Charlie looked at the young boy and smiled back "Hey VJ, how ya doing?"

"I'm good, glad I'm not in hospital anymore. But you are, so it kind of sucks"

"Yea, it does suck" Charlie laughed.

"I was going to bring you my DS, but mum said I shouldn't" VJ said

"Well, that's because your mum knows I can't play them"

"I can teach you if you like?" VJ's face lit up

"Yea, sure. But can you teach me when I get home?" VJ's face dropped "Only so I can beat you in your own home" Charlie quickly added

"Ok. But you wont beat me"

"How is she?" Leah asked Ross as they stood near the door, leaving VJ and Charlie talking

"She seems ok. She's more worried about Ruby and Angelo than herself" Ross replied

"Has Angelo seen Charlie?"

"He's been waiting outside that door nearly everyday. But circumstances have kept him outside the room. I would love for him to see her, I think it would ease both him and Charlie"

"What's gone on?" Leah asked, sensing something

Ross wanted to say, because if her didn't, it looked like Ross was keeping Charlie's friends from seeing her, but if he did tell Leah, he'd cause more problems for his family. "Charlie's injuries have kept her in a great deal of pain, doctors have told us its best if we don't over crowd Charlie"

"She looks ok now" Leah said, looking at Charlie who was laughing with VJ

"Now she is. But just 10 minutes ago she was in pain" Ross said.

"Mum" VJ said as he walked over to Leah "Can I go to the cafeteria and get a chocolate milkshake?"

"Ooh, that sounds good. I'll go with you" Ross said, winking at Leah.

"Thanks Ross"

Leah walked over to Charlie.

Sitting beside her friend, Leah took hold of her hand.

"Hey" Leah said

"Hey" Charlie replied.

A tear fell down Leah's face

"Hey, whats this for?" Charlie said as she wiped the tear.

"I'm so sorry Charlie" Leah cried

"What for?" Charlie replied

"For not coming in earlier. I've been scared"

"Leah, don't worry. You have VJ to look after" Charlie said

"I know, but that's no excuse. I should have just come visit. I've had plenty of opportunities"

"Leah, I'm fine. Its fine" Charlie smiled.

Leah nodded.

"So. what's new?" Charlie asked

"Nothing much. You?" Leah asked, then realizing where Charlie was

"Actually yea. There is"

~~~~~~

Angelo looked up to the ceiling. Twiddling his thumbs. It had been an hour since doctors told him he could go home. But he didn't want to. Not whilst Charlie was still in hospital with injuries from the same accident he was in. Sure, he still had a couple of scratches, a few bruises and a cast on his arm, but nothing remained on him to show what happened.

Slowly Angelo drifted into -what seemed to be- the eighth nap of the day.

She ran along the beach. Her hair blowing in the wind. Her infectious laugh bringing a smile to Angelo's face. Angelo caught up with the woman. Taking her hands in his, he looked into her big, expressive eyes, his whole life and everything that was important to him was right there in front of him.

Angelo woke up and sat up quickly. "Oh my god. I love her"

~~~~~

"Why do you think that?" Leah asked

"Just with everything that has happened. Our relationship was a bad idea from the start. Maybe its best that we finish it and try to salvage a friendship out of it" Charlie replied

"But you and Roman"

"Don't work. Anymore. Maybe if we didn't meet the way we met, things might have looked better for us, but relationships that start after your daughter is caught carrying drugs is an omen for disaster"

"But Nicole was cleared from that. You cleared her, and that's why Roman took you to dinner as a thank-you"

"Leah, I've gone through all of this a million times in my head. I'm not in love with him any more" Charlie said

"Have you told Roman?"

"Last time I saw him, he left those" Charlie pointed to the flowers and the bear

"Aww, they're cute" Leah said as she took the bear

"But he never said a word. He just left"

"I'm sure he had a reason"

"I haven't seen him, so I don't know if there is any reason"

Silence fell between the two. Leah looked at Charlie. Something else was dying to be spoken from Charlie's lips. Leah could tell because Charlie bit her lip.

"What else is there?"

~~~~~

Ruby stared at the computer screen. Wondering what to type.

Hi Ruby. How did your chat go?

Hi Bree. I found out how Charlie got pregnant

Hi Ruby. How? (If you don't mind me asking)

Hi Bree. Its fine. -She was raped

Hi Ruby. :o Oh my. Ruby, I don't know what to say

Hi Bree. There's nothing you can say. Nothing can take back what happened. I guess I should be grateful that Charlie and Ross can look at me everyday

Hi Ruby. Well, there is that. And don't forget, your silver lining is better than mine

Hi Bree. How so?

Hi Ruby. You are with your family. Me? I'm with complete strangers (If you think about it)

Hi Bree. So, what do you think I should do?

Hi Ruby. I can't answer that. But, if you are worried that you look like the man, as Charlie for pictures of herself when she was younger, talk to Charlie. Its the only way you can sort things out

Hi Bree. I would do that, its just, Charlie was recently crushed by a boat. She's still in the hospital, I don't want to add to her stress levels

Hi Ruby. Then tell her what you're thinking. That way, she knows whats going through your head. And if she feels strong enough to help you, then she can

~~~~~

Roman walked passed Leah as she left Charlie's room.

A previous phone call from Ross called for Leah's help.

Hiding his face, Roman was able to avoid any conversation with Leah.

"Charlie" Roman said as he enter the room.....

PART 2 LATER

Chapter 22 PART 2

Charlie looked up at Roman.

"Roman" Charlie replied, shocked

Roman looked at Charlie. Her leg cast, her arm in the sling, the bruises covering most of her body, the machines that were beside her. He didn't know what to say. Last time he was in the room, Charlie had just woken. She was still groggy from all the pain she was in. But now? Now she was alert, bright and looked as though she could run at anytime.

"Is there something you wanted?" Charlie said, trying not to sound like a bitch

"I need to talk to you. We didn't we chance to finish our conversation the other day"

"Roman.."

"No Charlie, wait. I have to say this. I never should have doubted you, I should have trusted you and should have known that you wouldn't do anything like that behind my back. What I did with Pamela, it was a mistake, all of it, I wish I could take it back but I can't. I wish I could take back all the pain I put you through. But I can't, I hope you can forgive me and we can move past this and get back to what we had"

Charlie sat. Soaking in the words Roman just spoke.

"Roman, I can't" Charlie cried

"Charlie, you can. We can get back to what we had"

Charlie didn't want to fight, all she wanted was to go to sleep and wake up with everything back to normal. With Ruby happy and not so upset, with her not been in the hospital and with her not fighting all the time with Roman. "Roman, our relationship hasn't worked well for a while. No amount of talking about it is going to fix the problem, its something we can't get passed. Its always going to be there"

"So what are you saying?" Roman asked

"I think we should just be friends. We don't work well as a couple" Charlie said

Roman took the words like stones to his chest.'Friend' 'Don't couple' stuck out in his mind and continued to hit him hard. "Charlie please"

"Roman, I'm sorry." Charlie wiped the tear from her face "You asked me to forgive you. As your girlfriend, I can't forgive you. But as your ex-girlfriend who is your friend, I can forgive you"

Roman thought. If he remained Charlie's girlfriend, she'd never forgive him, but if they were friends, she could. "Ok" Roman finally replied

"What?" Charlie asked

"As my friend, can you forgive me?" Roman asked

Charlie nodded, even though it killed her to actually forgive.

Roman smiled slightly. At least I've been forgiven. He thought to himself.

Charlie started to lie down. "Charlie" Roman said

"Yea" Charlie asked, sleepily

"Angelo wouldn't have anything to do with our break-up would it?" Roman asked, curious of how Charlie would react

"What? How dare you say that" Charlie spat

"What? What else am I supposed to think? YOu spend a lot of time with him, you laugh and joke with him"

"He's a work colleague and a friend!"

"He's more than that Charlie, and you know it. You've been more bothered about him than how I've been feeling since you've been in here"

"You left both times! What was I supposed to do? Shout after you? Come running into your arms with a mass of metal in my leg? Angelo was under the boat with me, he reassured me everything was going to be ok"

"I was there too"

"Not when I needed you. Before the boat accident. I needed you after the ware house job. And where were you? Sleeping with another woman"

"You said you forgave me!"

"We're talking about how our relationship broke up, and if you can accuse me of having a fling with Angelo I can certainly bring her into conversation!"

Charlie grabbed her chest in pain. "Charlie" Roman said as he rushed to her side

"Just.... leave..... Roman" Charlie said as she tried to catch her breath

Nurses rushed into the room.

"Sir, you need to step out" one nurse said as she ushered Roman out of the room.

Roman nodded and sadly watched as nurse put an oxygen mask on Charlie's face and listened to her breathing.

~~~~~~

Roman boomed along the corridor. His face showed his anger. Only one person's name ran through his mind. Angelo

Seeing Angelo's name on the door, Roman let himself in.

Angelo was asleep, so Roman sat down on the seat next to him. Watching as Angelo slept. A creepy vibe was felt in the room.

Angelo rolled over. He saw Roman's angry face looking at his. "Hi Roman"

"Angelo" Roman replied

"Is there something you wanted?"

"Where the hell do you get off sticking your nose in where it isn't welcome?"

"Excuse me?" Angelo asked, confused

"You know what I'm talking about" Angelo shook his head. "Charlie"

"Charlie? What have I?"

"Don't sound so innocent. I've seen the way you two act. What? were you jealous of mine and her relationship? Jealous that I had her and you didn't?"

"Roman, I have no idea what you're on about"

"Like hell you don't. Conveniently stranded your car on the rocks in the middle of nowhere, gave you ample time to have Charlie to yourself"

"Charlie and I work together"

"Funny that, that's what Charlie said"

"We work together. What more do you expect? For us to just not talk to each other when we're on duty? I can't do that Roman. I'm sorry. And I'm sorry if you're relationship is going through a rough patch, but I have had nothing to do with it"

Roman took a step closer to Angelo's bed.

"We were fine until you came into the picture"

"You were still ok when I came into the picture. Charlie wouldn't shut up about your relationship. I was getting sick of it. everyday it was 'Roman' this and 'Roman' that. It was annoying. She loved you so much, she was the best thing that ever happened to you, and you're an idiot for stuffing it all up. You had it good. She was willing to do anything for you. To be honest, she's better of without you. I hope you can live with yourself for breaking her heart. She didn't deserve for that to happen to her, especially by you"

~~~~~~

"Can I take this up to Aunty Charlie?" VJ asked as he liked the chocolate milk running down his finger

"Yea, I'll be up in a minute" Leah replied

VJ headed out of the cafeteria. Ross looked to Leah and smiled

"What that for?" Leah asked

"Even after everything that's happened to Charlie, she still has her friends around her. Its nice to see" Ross said

"I just wish I came earlier. I could have been some help"

"Leah, you can just in time" Ross reassured her.

"Thanks" Leah smiled. "I'd better go after VJ, Charlie won't get that milkshake otherwise"

Ross nodded, Morag walked over to Ross and placed her hands on his shoulders.

"Thank you" Ross said as he kissed Morag's hand

"For what?" Morag asked

"For been here"

~~~~~~

"Hi Roman" VJ said as Roman walked passed

Roman ignored him

"Roman?" Leah said, still, Roman ignored when his name was called

"VJ you go in, I'll be back" Leah said as she turned to face the direction Roman was headed.

"Roman" Leah reached out to grab Roman's hand "Wait" She snarled.

Roman turned when the petite woman used a different kind of strength. "Its one thing to ignore and adult, but it is another thing when you ignore a child"

Roman looked down the corridor and then back to Leah. "Sorry" He said snottily

"I'm sorry, but that's not good enough"

"I don't really have time for this Leah, I just want to go"

Leah sensed there was something. "I'm coming to"

Roman smiled, glad for the company.

"I've stuffed everything up" Roman found himself saying before he could stop himself

"How?" Leah asked

"Charlie and I are no longer together"

Thank you everyone who took time out to write about both parts of the chapter. :) I loved reading them and seeing what you liked.

Danni, Carina, Charis, Sarah, lino and Prancer thank you for commenting every time :)

Chapter 23

Leah saw the distress in Roman's face. Her heart went out to him. Going against her better judgment, she stood on her tip toes and reached up to Roman and held him in a hug. Roman gladly excepted Leah's gesture and bobbed down slightly so Leah was stood flat on the ground. He sobbed for Charlie and how much he had hurt her, he sobbed as the realization of everything hit him all at once.

Leah had never seen Roman like this. Roman had always been so strong. So macho.

"Do you want to go and talk?" Leah said as she gently stroked his back. Roman never said a word, instead he nodded, his entire body shaking.

Leah walked beside Roman until they reached the doors. Roman looked back over his shoulder at the hospital one last time, knowing that he wouldn't be needed or welcome in there anymore. The realization came heavy to Roman, after everything that happened to Charlie and him when they first got together, he was sure they'd be with each other until the end. But his lack of faith in Charlie brought their relationship to a crashing end. No one else is to blame. It was all me. Roman thought to himself.

Leah turned around and saw Roman gazing in the hospital. She didn't know what to say, Charlie was her best friend and she had been hurt by Roman, so technically, she should be with Charlie. But if it was the other way around, would Charlie be beside me or talking to Roman? Leah thought to herself.

"I don't know if I should be with you, but I can't leave you whilst you're like this. I don't know what you're going to do to yourself if I leave you" Leah said, worrying about the way it sounded

"If you want to leave Leah, leave. I'm not in need of comforting. I don't need your help" Roman snapped

"Roman, you've just cried in my arms, that tells me you need someone" Leah replied

Roman turned back to face the road. He began to walk forward. "Leah, go back to Charlie, I'm sure Angelo comforting her isn't enough"

"How can you still say that?"

"Its the truth. Leah just go" Roman snapped, before running off.

Leah watched as Roman became a small dot at the end of the road. Disappointed with herself for not been able to help, upset that Roman had just spoken to her like that and angry for not been with the person who needs all the support she can get.

~~~~~~

Ruby walked along the beach. Her talk with Bree had helped her more than she originally thought.

As she kicked the sand with her feet and watched as a small family sat digging holes in the sand, Ruby realized that any hurt she was feeling, Charlie and Ross would feel it too. Any anger she was feeling, they too would feel it. No one else could help Ruby with dealing with fact that her sister is her mother, and her dad is her granddad. Only one person could help Ruby, and that person needed Ruby too.

~~~~~~

VJ had fallen asleep in the chair beside Charlie. Charlie smiled as she was grateful to VJ, not only because her made her laugh, but because he was the only one who had no idea about what had gone on around him. His naivety was warmly received with Charlie as it helped her forget for a moment everything that had gone on.

"Hey, Charlie" Leah said as she walked into the room.

"Hey. You ok?" Charlie asked as she saw Leah looked slightly out of it.

"I'm ok" Leah lied, unsure if she should tell Charlie about Roman's state of mind.

"Leah, there's something wrong"

"Shouldn't you be worried about you?" Leah asked, trying to avoid the question

"I've got another year and a bit to worry about me. So, for now, I'm worrying about you." Charlie looked to Leah, she didn't flinch "If anything, it will keep my mind off everything" Charlie added

"Don't say I didn't warn you" Leah said as she pointed at Charlie

"I wont"

"I bumped in to Roman" Charlie looked down "He seemed really upset"

"He would. I told him we're finished" Charlie said, not looking up

"He said"

"How did he seem?" Charlie asked, now looking at Leah

"At first he cried a little, but then he went cold. Almost as though all his feelings went numb. It was really weird"

"I never thought he'd react like this" Charlie said as she rubbed her temple with the one good hand she had

"You broke up with him, how else would he react?" Leah asked

"I said we could be friends, I could have forgiven him for what he did better if I were his friend. Then he says to me Angelo had something to do with our break-up"

"He blames Angelo?" Leah asked

"Yea"

"So what you told me earlier" Leah asked

"I do have feelings for him, but they weren't present when Roman slept with that woman. And if I act on them now, Roman will think he was right"

"Well, in a way, he was"

"Leah, I don't know if these feelings are genuine or if it stems from Angelo been under the boat with me when it happened. Excuse the pun, but I hope its just a crush"

~~~~~~~

Morag and Ross entered Charlie's room. Leah and VJ had left five minutes earlier.

"Hi darling, you alright?" Ross asked

"Yea" Charlie weakly smiled

A nurse walked in the room. "Is it ok if I check you breathing pattern?" She asked Charlie

Charlie nodded "What for?" Morag asked

"Charlie suffered breathing problems a short while ago, it could be related to her lung puncture, but we're unsure. These checks just help us eliminate any problems Charlie may suffer with later on" The nurse answered as she listened to Charlie's breathing

"Charlie?" Ross asked, confused

"I had an argument with Roman and I got really bad chest pains and found it hard to catch my breath. No big deal" Charlie replied after rolling her eyes

"I'm sorry, but it is a big deal. We need to know about everything that happens" Morag added

"Sounds good" The nurse said as she put the stethoscope around her neck.

"Are you sure?" Ross asked

"Yes. Although Charlie is going for a routine check up tomorrow before her rehabilitaion begins, those checks will let us know more about what is going on" The nurse replied

"You start rehab tomorrow and you didn't tell us?" Ross asked

"One issue at a time. Please" Charlie said as her hand found its way to her temple again

"Where's Ruby?" Morag asked

"She left earlier, she's doing some thinking" Charlie replied

Ross turned to Morag. He smiled and crossed his fingers. Hoping that Ruby had cleared up everything in her mind and would come back to the hospital.

Half and hour later

"We'd better leave you. Let you get your beauty sleep" Morag said as she looked at her watch.

"Yes, busy day tomorrow" Ross said as he rose to his feet. "Bye darling" Ross said as he kissed Charlie's forehead.

"Bye Charlie" Morag said as she smiled at her step-daughter.

Charlie replied with a smile. She was too tired to speak.

Ross and Morag closed the door to Charlie's room.

The darkness hit the room, and Charlie fell asleep.

Thanks for the comments. I enjoyed reading them :)

Chapter 24

Darkness filled the bay. Lights lit up the streets around the bay. The moon light reflected on the open water. The sound of the waves breaking on the beach were tranquil.

A lone figure staggered across the beach. The bottle in his hand dropped beside him, spilling what was left of his beer. He fell to his knees. A broken man. He cried out angrily to the water. His silent enemy. All arguments he recently had, the water was where he ended up.

Ironic, as the one he cried for always came to the waters edge to relax and enjoy the time with her loved ones.

The image of Charlie's face went through Roman's mind.

Roman rose to his feet. He took his top off. He removed his shoes and socks. And he slowly walked into the water. Each wave brought new coldness to him. Roman hoped that each wave would wash his pain away. Roman continued to walk.

~~~~~~~

Angelo walked up the path to his house. All in darkness, except for the light on the street, which added an orange glow to his white house. Taking his key out of his pocket, he struggled to find the keyhole. "Oh come on" Angelo said to the sky. He'd had enough of the whole day. Last couple of days actually. All he wanted to do was have a bath, have a beer and get into his own bed with his own covers and no nurses coming in every so often, making sure he was still there.

When the door finally opened, he was met with the post on his mat. "Perfect" Angelo commented. Bending to pick them up, Angelo noticed a letter from a news channel. "What the?" He asked himself.

Dear Mr. Rosetta.

We have sent this letter, inviting yourself, and Miss. Charlie Buckton to do an interview for our news channel. We covered the story in which yourself and Constable Charlie Buckton were trapped under the boat, and thought that this would be nice for the both of you. My contact details are...

And screwed the letter up. Not only had he been put through been nearly crushed, he was asked to talk about it. In front of millions.

Angelo walked in to the front room and threw the post on the couch. He wiped his face, yawned and walked over to the fridge and grabbed a beer from the fridge.

He sat down on the couch and put his feet up. Relaxing in the comfort of his own home, Angelo felt his body become lighter form all the stress. The chat he had with Roman vanished from his mind, his injuries vanished from his mind, everything did. Except one thing. One person. Charlie.

Angelo took another sip of beer, his eyes widened when he realized Charlie would receive the exact same letter. "Crap" Angelo said as he sat upright and put his drink on the table. He grabbed a jacket and headed back out of the door.

~~~~~~~

Morag and Ross we still awake.

"What time is it?" Ross asked

"4:45" Morag replied as she looked at her watch

Ross nodded. He sat in a daze, worried about Charlie. After all, she didn't tell him that rehab would start today, she didn't tell him about the breathing problems she was having. What else wasn't Charlie telling him?

"What the matter Ross?" Morag asked

"I'm worried about Charlie. She's not the same"

"Of course she isn't. She's about to start rehabilitation to help her with her leg, Ruby has backed away completely"

"I don't mean that. She's bottling things up. she's not telling me things. Last time this happened she was 14" Ross said as he bit his thumb

"Ross, I'm sure Charlie just needs to wrap her head around a few things first. Don't rush her. She's had to deal with a lot recently. More than you'd expect form one accident"

"But I'm her father, if she can't turn to me, who can she turn to? A boyfriend? Roman's made his mind up there" Ross said

"We don't know what's gone on there Ross" Morag said

"Oh come on Morag, it obvious. Roman and her have been fighting." Ross replied. "That Angelo boy, he's been there for Charlie more than her own boyfriend has"

"Ross" Morag closed her eyes. "Just go to sleep" Morag added, unable to muster the strength to carry out a full discussion on the subject. "We need to be at the hospital at 10"

~~~~~~~~

5am

Angelo walked up to the door. He raised his hand.

A light came on in the porch. The door opened

"Hi" Angelo said

"Angelo? What the hell are you doing here? Its 5 in the morning" Leah said, sleepily

"I know. But, this is important" Angelo whispered

"Why are you whispering?" Leah whispered back

Angelo rolled his eyes. "I got a letter from a news channel asking if I'd join them -and Charlie- and do an interview on air with them"

"Charlie got one of those too" Leah told Angelo

"Oh god. You didn't show her did you?"

Leah looked at Angelo. "Yea, I showed her. I figured been crushed by the boat wasn't enough so been interviewed and shown footage would make up for it"

"Leah"

"Well Angelo. What kind of friend do you think I am? I saw it and I threw it away. I never told anyone"

"Sorry"

"Its ok" Leah replied. "Is that all you came over here for?" Leah asked

"Yea" Angelo replied. "Well, I'd better go. See ya" Angelo smiled then walked away.

"Bye" Leah waved. In that moment, Leah saw that Angelo had feelings for Charlie. Strong feelings. Protective feelings.

~~~~~~~~

I've reached a decision

Good, what is it?

Can you meet me at 9:15 in the lobby?

Yea

Thanks for the comments :)

*LOBBY wasn't supposed to be written -oops- it was supposed to be CAR PARK. I know the words are two different things, but I was thinking of something else. Sorry*

Chapter 25

7:15am

Alf walked along the beach -his early morning ritual since, forever- looking out to the sea, he took a deep breath in. The sea air. Nothing better.

He found a spot to begin his fishing. Taking his fishing rod out of it box, he fixed it all together. He put the bait on the hook, looked out to the water, smiled, and threw the line into the water. The hook made a plop sound as it hit the water.

"You little beauty" Alf said as he'd hooked something. Alf reeled the line in. His grin got bigger the closer the line came to re emerging out of the water. "What the?" Alf said as he held a pair of boxers in his hand.

Alf looked around. Seeing if anyone noticed Alf holding the black boxers that dripped sea water.

In the distance to his left, Alf saw a lump on the sand. Alf squinted as he tried to see what it was. Giving the squinting up as a bad job, Alf put his fishing rod on the sand and walked up to the lump. As he got closer, he saw an arm, a leg, a head and a body. "You can't sleep here Dopey" Alf said to the person layed on the sand. The person let out a groan as they began to wake up. Alf crouched down beside the body. "Come on mate" Alf said as he rolled the body over.

"stone the flamin' crows" Alf said as the man flopped on to his back. "Roman!"

Roman's eyes suddenly opened wide. "Alf! He gasped

"What the flamin' hell happened to you last night?" Alf asked as he took his hat off and gave it to Roman

"I was" Roman wiped his face " I have no idea" Roman added

"Come on mate" Alf said as he helped Roman to his feet.

"Don't supposed you have something better than a hat?" Roman asked, slightly embarrassed

Alf looked to the sand. He saw Roman's wet boxers on the ground. "These" Alf said

"They'll do" Roman said as he took them from Alf. "Here's your hat"

"Erm you can keep that" Alf said as he pulled his head away from Roman's outstretched hand

~~~~~~~

8am.

Leah put breakfast out on the table. She'd set the table for four: Herself, VJ, Ross and Morag.

VJ came running into the kitchen, but Ross and Morag never did.

"Mum, can we have burgers for tea tonight?" VJ asked as he poured himself some cereal

"Erm" Leah said, not fully concerntrating on what she was doing, she was looking into the front room near where Ross and Morag's room was.

"Mum?" VJ said

"Yea?"

"Can we?, It's just, the burger place is right near the hospital" VJ said

"Why are we going to the hospital?" Leah asked

"You said I could go see Aunty Charlie again" VJ said, looking slightly disappointed that Leah had forgot

"Oh, sorry VJ, we can't go today. We'll go tomorrow. I promise." Leah saw the disappointment in VJ's face. "But we can still have burgers. And lots of ice cream"

"Ok" VJ smiled

~~~~~

Name: Ruby Buckton.

Date of birth: 13/6/1993

Parents: Elsie Buckton (Mother) Ross Buckton (Father)

Place of birth: Trinity Hospital Melbourne

Siblings ( If any): 1-Charlie Buckton

Ruby looked at her birth certificate. All the details on it were the same as Charlie's. She'd compared them all night.

Name: Charlie Buckton

Date of birth: 19/4/1979

Parents: Elsie Buckton (Mother) Ross Buckton (Father)

Place of birth: Mercy Hospital Geelong

Siblings (if any) None.

Except one thing.

Date of issue: 23/8/1994

Date of issue: 20/4/1979

Ruby's birth certificate was issued a year after she was born, Charlie's was the day after. Ruby then wondered if she had an original birth certificate, one that was issued the day after she was born.

"Just more questions" Ruby told herself.

Ruby wiped her face, as though she was wiping away the negative thoughts. She glanced at the clock hanging in her room. 8:45.

~~~~~~~

Angelo walked along the beach. He looked over to the wharf. He looked at the boat. It hadn't moved since the fire fighters had taken it from the top of him and Charlie. Police tape was still keeping people back. Although, it hadn't rid people from taking a look and taking pictures. The sight sickened him. Two people were injured, one of whom nearly died. And people were doing that.

Angelo walked into the diner.

"Hey love, what can I get you?" Irene asked as she gave Angelo a hug.

"A bigger one of what you are giving me" Angelo replied

"Things will get better." Irene replied, knowing what Angelo was the way he was because of the scene outside

"When?" Angelo replied as he and Irene split.

"Soon. Anyways, how's Charlie doing? I haven't been to the hospital yet or seen Morag and Ross"

"She's ok, given the circumstances. I reckon she just wants to get out of hospital, and come home"

"Well, she'll be out in no time" Irene smiled. "So, you wanting breakfast?"

"No thanks, just a coffee"

~~~~~~~

9:15am

Ruby paced the pavement outside the hospital's car park. She glanced at her watch and then along the roads.

Angelo walked passed the cars and joined Ruby.

"Hey" Angelo smiled

"Hey" Ruby smiled back.

"So what did you reach?"

~~~~~~~

Charlie winched in pain as she was helped to sit on the edge of the bed. Pulling her legs to the side nearly drained her of any energy she had flowing around her frail body.

"Do you want to stop?" The nurse asked as she felt Charlie's whole body shake with exhaustion

"I need to do this" Charlie panted

"And we're here to help"

Charlie looked to the door.

She saw Angelo and Ruby smiling at her from the door.

Thank you Carina, Danni, Charis, Charmed60, Charlie29 and Sam. Your comments are so nice to read.

Chapter 26

Looking on to the beach, Roman saw couples of all ages enjoying each others company on the beach.

An elderly couple walked along the water's edge. Still loving each others company after so many years together.

A younger couple drank juice whilst leaning on each other as they looked out to the water.

An a couple who were around the same age as him and Charlie were sitting on the beach, looking into each others eyes and smiling. Roman remembered when him and Charlie were like that. It only seemed like yesterday, but in fact, it wasn't. Yesterday he had an argument with Charlie, and then got drunk on the beach. He tried desperately to remember the last time he and Charlie went a day without arguing, but he couldn't. Each day he could remember were filled with anger, shouts, screams and tears.

Roman turned away from the happy and loving scene on the beach. If last night was anything to go by, Roman was in for a lot more anger and pain. The feelings washed over him again when he saw a male officer walk into the diner. He knew it wouldn't be Angelo, but it was the same uniform. Roman followed the officer into the diner.

He stood back and watched as the officer ordered a chicken sandwich, doughnut and a coffee.

Leah looked up from the table she was clearing and saw the look in Roman's eyes. It was as if each eyes expressed a different feeling. One expressed his pain and hurt, and the other expressed anger and frustration. Leah looked to Roman's hand. He's balled it up in to a fist, he squeezed his hand together so hard that his hand began to shake. Leah put the spray and cloth down on the table and walked over to Roman.

"Roman" Leah said, hoping to bring him out of his trance. But it didn't. Leah then pushed him back. That too, didn't work.

The officer was given his order. Thanking Colleen, he turned and walked back out of the diner. Roman followed the officer, and Leah followed Roman.

Officer Patrick walked over to the patrol car he'd parked in a space near to the diner. Roman marched over to the car, Leah ran after him.

"Roman stop!" Leah shouted, this time, Roman responded

"Leah? Get out of the way" Roman said as he stepped to the left

"No" Leah said as she moved to the right, blocking Roman's path "This is crazy Roman. That's not Angelo"

"So?"

"You can't go around beating up police officers just because they work with Angelo. They work with Charlie too!" Leah said

Charlie's name made Roman tighten his fist. "Let me through"

"What? So you can do something stupid? No, I'm sorry, I'm not doing that. You can hate me if you want, but I'm not letting you past" Leah firmly said as she stood her ground.

Roman stared at her, hoping to call her bluff or at least hoping for her to give up. Leah stared back at Roman.

Defeated, Roman fell to his knees. Leah followed him to the ground and kneeled beside him. She placed her arm around his shoulder. Roman turned his head and nestled into her neck. He began to sob, each sob becoming harder and harder. Leah gently stroked his head as he sobbed out his pain and anger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie held on to the two bars. Her entire body shook with fear and with pain. Charlie closed her eyes, as though she was trying to hide from the pain. Charlie took deep breaths in as she prepared herself for the mammoth task ahead of herself. She's always taken walking for granted -something which the majority of people do- and never realized how much strength and determination it takes to master that first step. At least as a baby is she fell she landed on a nappy which was a soft landing, and she was closer to the floor so she didn't have far to fall. Now if she fell, it would hurt and it would be from a greater height. Her leg was exposed under the shorts she was wearing. All the pins, bars, cuts and bruises form the accident and the operation were on show. Charlie had seen them, and had initially rejected the idea of exposing her leg. It looked awful, a mess of metal, stitches, steri-strips, cuts, yellow and purple bruises. Charlie was self-conscious about it. Every chance she could, she tried to turn her body slightly to hide her leg. Charlie was able to bend her leg, as the bars and pins only covered her femur, although, it was painful to try and bend her leg and every time she tried to bend it, she gasped in pain.

The nurse, who had been with Charlie ever since she was admitted to the hospital, stood to the left of Charlie. Ready to catch her if she stumbled.

Angelo and Ruby stood at the end of the walk way where Charlie was about to walk down. Angelo stood closer to the bars, he smiled at Charlie, in between her opening and shutting her eyes. He was so proud of Charlie and of how far she had come, ok fair enough she'd only stood up from the wheelchair, but it was still a big achievement and it took a lot of strength to do that. Charlie had nearly collapsed after she stood up.

Ruby stood further back. Hugging herself for comfort as she watched on. Still unsure of what to make of everything. She meant what she said before, that she'd be there for Charlie, but, after everything that has happened, she wondered if her presence would be helpful or a problem.

"Take your time Charlie. We're in no rush" Tish -the nurse- told her.

Charlie nodded, showing her understanding.

"Now, all I want you to do, is bring your right leg forward, and place it on the floor" Tish said

Charlie's grip on the bars tightened. Her knuckles turned white as she prepared herself to take her first step. Charlie focused her eyes in front of her. Looking at the wall, not Angelo or Ruby, but the wall. Charlie exhaled one more time, and then lifted her right leg up. She closed her eyes as the rush of pain washed up her leg, she wanted to stop, she wanted to collapse. But she knew she had to do it. If not for herself, then for Ruby.

"Well done Charlie, nearly there" Tish said as she moved her body closer to Charlie, ready to catch her if she fell.

Angelo watched as Charlie strained to make the transition from her leg been behind her to it been in front of her. He wanted to just walk over to her and take her in his arms and say to her everything would be ok. He hated seeing Charlie in this much pain. In any kind of pain.

Ruby's arms hugged her tighter. She was unable to speak. She watched as Charlie struggled to bring her leg forward. "Come on Charlie" Ruby said. Surprising herself with the words. Charlie changed her gaze from the wall to Ruby. She smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek. Ruby smiled back and nodded. Charlie responded to Ruby's gesture with a nod and a sniff.

Charlie concentrated on bringing her leg forward. The slow motion of it still caused Charlie pain. Her body shook as the energy drained away from her, her head became light and the room began to spin. But it didn't stop her. Ruby's words echoed through her mind. Each time in passing through her mind, new hope emerged for a relationship for her and Ruby.

As Charlie held her leg above where she was going to put it down, a feeling of excitement filled her body. The first step was nearly over and she had the support of two people she thought would never be in the room with her.

"Nearly there Charlie. Just one more movement and you'll have done it" Tish said with praise in her voice.

"Come on Charlie. Nearly there" Angelo smiled

Charlie looked to Angelo, he winked at her before smiling even more. Ruby walked over to Angelo and into Charlie's eye line.

Last. Little. BitCharlie said to herself.

Charlie looked down at her foot. It looked so alone on the floor. She then looked at her other foot that was below the mass of metal. Breathing slowly out of her mouth, Charlie lowered it to the floor. The connection of foot to floor sent pain up her leg. Charlie let out a cry of pain, followed by cries of happiness as the realization of her first step sunk in.

"Well done Charlie!" Tish said as she wheeled the chair up to Charlie. Charlie sat back down in the wheelchair, glad for the pain relief.

Angelo went up to Charlie. He didn't know what to say -or do- so he just smiled at Charlie. Charlie knew from that one smile it said a million words.

Ruby remained where she was. Unable to move, say or do anything that showed how happy and relieved she was.

"I think that's enough excitement for one day. We'll do this again tomorrow" Tish said as she began to wheel Charlie out of the room.

Angelo and Ruby stayed in the room.

"That was amazing" Angelo said as he continued to watch the door.

Ruby burst into tears. "Hey, hey. What's this for?" Angelo asked as he embraced Ruby in a hug.

"I'm so confused Angelo. I don't know what to do" Ruby cried.

~~~~~~~

Ross walked into the front room. He was met by Morag, who was biting her lip.

"What's the matter?" Ross asked his wife

"It's 10:15 Ross. We've missed Charlie's rehab session" Morag told Ross.

"What?" Ross asked, disbelieving his wife

"You slept in. I guess we were up late last night worrying about Charlie"

"I can't have missed my own daughters rehab, I just couldn't" Ross said

Morag watched as Ross paced the room, angry with himself for not waking earlier. "Take me to the hospital" Ross concluded

Morag nodded, knowing if she'd said to him to have some breakfast he would have shouted at her.

The drive to the hospital was a quiet trip.

Morag didn't know what to sat to Ross, who was bobbing his leg up and down in anticipation for the reception her would receive from Charlie at the hospital.

A tear trickled down his face. The same thoughts went through his mind. The thoughts he had on that night of the 14th of June. He though himself a failure of a father.

~~~~~~

Roman pulled away from Leah's embrace. The two remained in silence as they looked out to the sea.

"Thanks Leah" Roman said as he turned to face Leah.

"No problem. Just promise me you won't think about doing something like that again. Its not healthy" Leah replied

"I wont" Roman said

Leah smiled. Roman looked into Leah's eyes. His eyes flickered back and forth as he stared into her brown eyes.

Roman leaned forward. Placing his lips on Leah's.

Leah pulled away "Roman!" She said.

"Sorry" Roman said as he moved back slightly.

Leah shook her head. Roman looked confused.

Leah leaned into Roman. And their lips joined once again.

Thank you so much much for commenting! I love reading them! :wub:

I hope you like this chapter, I'm not to sure... :unsure:

Chapter 27

Tish helped Charlie on to her bed. Each movement was difficult to do as her body had stiffened since walking. Her hands and arms ached from supporting her own body weight, her left leg was practically numb from been in the same position for more than half an hour. And her right leg felt as though it had gained an extra 15 pounds. Charlie looked at the bed. Her head and shoulders were over the top of the bed. She sighed as the thought of having to climb out of the chair and on to the bed went through her mind. All she wanted to do was collapse in a heap and sleep.

Tish looked at Charlie. The color was out of her face, she looked weak and very frail. Tish knew Charlie would be exhausted from her rehab session, and so she cheated and used the button to lower the bed for Charlie. Tish then moved the wheel chair closer to the bed, to make it easier to have the transition from chair to bed. Charlie smiled as she sank comfortably into the bed. Tish then pressed the button and the bed slowly rose up, Charlie let out a small laugh as the felling of raising took her back to her childhood. When the bed reached it original position, Tish explained to Charlie what would happen next, but Charlie sleepily moaned. Tish smiled and wheeled the chair to the side of the room.

Charlie smiled as all the muscles in her body relaxed, her eyes became heavier and keeping them open proved to difficult. Charlie drifted off into a deep sleep.

Tish walked over to the bottom of Charlie's bed. She wrote down the progress Charlie had reached in the rehab session. It seemed very little, but in fact the small action of lifting and moving her leg from front to back showed Tish that Charlie's leg was healing and was building in strength.

When she had finished, Tish put the board back at the bottom of the bed and walked out of the room.

She was greeted by Morag and an upset Ross

"How did it go?" Ross asked, he stood with his arms folded

"She did very well, coped well with it all and she was able to take one step" Tish smiled

"That's fantastic" Morag smiled. "Isn't it darling?" Morag continued as she turned to Ross and placed her hand on his. Ross stood and and said "Mhn"

"It doesn't sound like much, but it is. Been able to take that step shows there isn't any muscle damage to her leg, if there had been, she wouldn't have been able to move her leg, let alone put any weight on it" Tish added

"Thank you" Morag smiled, Ross still hadn't said -or tried to say- anything.

"I'll leave you two to it. You can go in, but Charlie is asleep" Tish said

"She was alone" Ross finally said. Tish turned around -as she was still in ear shot- and took the two steps back to Ross and Morag. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but, Charlie wasn't alone in the rehab. Ruby was there and so was that young man whose always asking about Charlie. They really helped Charlie. Charlie actually took the step after Ruby said something to her" Tish smiled

"Really?" Ross asked, shocked and happy

"Yes. I think if they come to every session, Charlie will be back on her feet in no time" Tish added before walking away, properly this time.

Ross looked at Charlie as she slept. A tear trickled down his face as he gently stroked Charlie's face.

He felt ashamed of himself for missing Charlie's rehab session. It was the one thing he promised to attend, if not for support, then for piece of mind that Charlie hadn't completely fallen apart. Ross knew him and Charlie hadn't spoken properly about everything since Ruby first found out, and it killed him. He wanted so badly for Ruby and Charlie to be stood in his embrace, knowing everything was going to be ok. But he knew the truth, he knew things wouldn't be the same. There were too many questions still to be answered, so many new relationships to figure out, and on top of all that, Charlie needed to get better and have the support of her father, and the people who caused the accident still needed to be found.

"Ross?." Morag said as she gently placed her hand on his. "I brought you a hot chocolate"

~~~~~~~

Ruby sat in the canteen playing with her fingers. Her drink was in front of her and had gone cold. She bit her lip as she tried to think straight. But too many things were flying through it. Questions about her birth certificate. Questions about her biological father. Questions about the arrangement and the adoption to Ross and Elsie. Questions that she knew wouldn't be answered until Charlie was well again. But when would that be? Ruby didn't want to have to wait for ages, she wanted to know them now. She wanted to find some way of coping with everything and not been so angry all the time. So confused.

"Ruby?" Angelo said from the opposite side of the table. He'd watched and listened to Ruby as she told him what was on her mind. He understood what ruby was going through, all the confusion, all the pain that she was feeling. He knew because he saw the exact same reactions when Charlie told him everything. Angelo was unsure whether or not to tell Ruby that he knew everything, and he didn't know how she'd react to it. "Look. I don't know what you want to know, but couldn't you ask Ross? See if her can fill in the blanks?"

Ruby sniffed "I could. But I wont know how Charlie was affected. I know it sounds morbid and sick, but Charlie is the only one who was realy affected by this at the time. I need to know how she felt"

"Why? So you can base your reactions on hers? Ruby, you can't do that" Angelo said. Ruby looked into Angelo's eyes.

"I'm glad you were under the boat with her" Ruby said as her eyes fell back to her hands

"How do you mean?" Angelo asked

"At least she wasn't alone. At least she knew she had someone next to her that cares for her"

"She's a friend" Angelo defended

"I know." Ruby replied. "And you're a friend to me Angelo. Thanks for listening to me"

"Rubes, I just want to help. And I know that there's something you're not saying"

Ruby looked at Angelo. She sighed "I found mine and Charlie's birth certificates"

"And?" Angelo leaned in

"I know it doesn't sound like much, but, I thought it was weird that my certificate was issued a year after I was born and Charlie's was a day after"

Angelo didn't know what to make of what he'd heard. "When was yours issued?" Ruby asked

"I have no idea" Angelo laughed.

"You see, the birth certificate idea is just stupid" Ruby said as she threw herself back in the seat

"What idea?" Angelo asked

~~~~

"You ok darl?" Irene asked as she walked past Leah

"Yea, sure. Why?" Leah asked

"You look like you're away with the fairies" Irene siad

"Do I?" Leah asked, smiling.

"Ok what's his name?" Irene asked

"Who's name?" Leah smiled

"The guys name who had put that smile on your face"

"No guy. Just, life" Leah replied

"Don't give me that girly, yesterday you were as miserable as sin, and today you're happy as a kid with a lollipop. So who is he?"

"Can't you just let me bask in this happiness and ask questions later?" Leah asked

Irene was about to speak again but Roman walked into the kitchen.

"Got your clothes on I see" Irene laughed

"Alf" Roman said

"No, Colleen!" Irene laughed again.

"What? How did she know?" Roman asked

"Its a small place Roman, eyes are everywhere" Irene smiled, then walked out of the kitchen with two plates.

Roman began to cut a pie into pieces. Leah walked beside him

"So" Leah began to speak

"Don't. Leah. What happened was an impulse thing. I wasn't thinking straight. It wasn't supposed to happen. And I'd appreciate it if you kept it under wraps" Roman told Leah, who's face showed her disappointment. "Yea sure" She sadly replied.

~~~~~~

Thank you Danni, Sarah, lino, Carina, charmed60, charlie29 & Charis. I love reading your comments and what you think about everyone. (And I'm glad I was able to write Roman they way it was in my head :lol: )

Chapter 28

Leah worked for the rest of the day in a haze. She'd day-dreamed about kissing Roman for so long, and when it happened, it was better than what she dreamed. The connection between their lips made her whole body fall into the kiss, she felt herself be taken away by Roman.

But afterward? Leah had always pictured it as a movie-moment thing. Where they would walk along the beach hand in hand, smiling at each other and enjoying each others company. And then finishing at a little bar where they could get a drink and talk.

Her reality? A cold reception from Roman. Nothing mentioned of what happened other than it been a mistake and it shouldn't have happened. And an uneasy working environment. Leah hated working in those kinds of atmospheres as it made her day seem longer and more stressful.

Tension was sensed by both Colleen and Irene in the kitchen. Roman and Leah ignored each other, never communicating, not even when it was work-related. All Roman wanted to do was go to a bar and drown his sorrows. Work was just getting in the way of that happening. The alcohol numbed his feelings, got him away from thinking about Charlie and how he stuffed everything up with her, and how much he wanted her back.

Colleen brought another order into the kitchen. She told Leah and Roman what the order was and went to the drinks counter and started on the customers drinks. Roman looked at the order, and then looked back at what he was doing. Leah did the same.

Irene had seen the two of them do the same thing and stormed into the kitchen. "For gawds sake you two. Pull your flippin' heads in. You're at work. Get the order done now" Irene said as she stood in the middle of them

"I'm busy here" Roman snapped

"We're all busy Roman, but the potatoes can wait a couple of minutes whilst you put together a pasta dish!" Irene shouted back

"Why can't Leah do it?" Roman snapped as he pointed with the knife he was using

"Leah's doing an order already!" Irene shouted back.

"I'll do it when I'm done here"

"No. You wont" Irene said as she walked over to Roman and took the knife out of his hand. "You can take your apron off, and get out of this diner. You're fired!" Irene said as she pointed to the door.

"What? You can't do that!" Roman replied

"Well, I did. So go!" Irene said again, more forceful.

Defeated, Roman took his apron off and placed it on the unit. He glared at Irene after he looked to Leah with hatred in his eyes. Roman then stormed out of the diner, knocking chairs over as he did. Customers watch in horror as the enraged man caused destruction as he continued to walk outside..

~~~~~~~

Charlie was still asleep. The rehab had knocked everything out of her.

Ross continued to keep a watchful eye on his daughter as he sat in the chair next to Charlie.

His mind filled with regret. He hated what had happened to Charlie, he hated what the secret did to his family, he hated all the lies they made up to cover their tracks, he hated himself. He blamed himself. Ross wiped the tear that had escaped his eye.

"Whats that for?" Morag asked as she noticed Ross' hand wipe his face

"Its nothing" Ross replied.

"You're upset. Its understandable Ross"

"I'm not upset" Ross snapped

"I'm sorry, but when you snap, you are" Morag said. "I know I wasn't there when it all happened. But I'm here now. And I may be able to help. If you just tell me what you're thinking"

Ross sat and let the words sink in. What Morag said was true. She may be able to help. "Erm" Ross sniffed. "When Charlie told" Ross began to continue, but Tish walked in the room.

"Sorry, I just need to do a couple of checks on Charlie" Tish said as she pointed to Charlie

"Its ok. We'll step out" Ross said to a confused Morag.

"Charlie told Elsie and I she was raped and that's when we realized she was four months pregnant. We told Charlie all of her options, adoption out of the family, termination. But Elsie was told by one of the doctors that Charlie was too far gone to have a termination. So adoption was the only option." Ross swallowed his tears hard. Morag leaned over and held he crushed husband. "We sat Charlie down and told her how adoption would work. But she was adamant she wanted to keep the baby and raise it as her own. And she also told us she wanted to report the rape to the police" Ross broke off, he was unable to finish what he wanted to say, the shame he felt back then filled him again.

"Its ok" Morag said, hoping to comfort Ross.

"It's not ok. I told Charlie evidence of what happened wouldn't exist anymore and it would be his word against hers. I never even let her have the chance to have justice. I took that away from her"

"Oh Ross"

"When the baby was born, Charlie held her in her arms. And I thought we were going to be ok. That we would get through all of what was going to happened as a family. The four of us. Elsie, me, our daughter and our granddaughter"

"What changed?" Morag asked, as she wiped the tears that rolled down her cheek.

"The baby got sick, and so did Charlie, and she couldn't cope. So she ran away" Ross cried.

~~~~~~~

Ruby showed Angelo the birth certificates. Ruby bit her thumb as Angelo studied them closely.

"So?" Ruby asked

"Charlie was 14 when you were born" Angelo said

"I know that. I can add" Angelo rolled his eyes. "But looked at the date of issue. Don't you think that's weird?" Ruby asked

"It is a little strange, but I think you're reading too much into it" Angelo said

"What if I'm not? What if I have an original birth certificate?" Ruby said

"Ok, so what if you do. What are you going to do about it?"

"Well," Ruby thought "I have no idea. But It might mean something. I need to know Angelo. I can't keep going the way I am. I hate it. I hate everything that has happened, I hate that I was lied to, I hate that Charlie is in the hospital and I hate that I can't ask her all the question I want to ask. I hate it Angelo! I hate it!" Ruby cried hard. Angelo rushed to her side an comforted her.

~~~~~~

The next day

Leah called in sick to work. She couldn't face everyone, not after the blow with Roman.

Leah curled herself on the couch and watched her favorite movie. An officer and A gentleman.

Richard Gere walked on screen and smiled. Leah remembered when Roman smiled like that to her. Just before he kissed her.

Leah's thoughts changed to Roman. After he left the diner in a foul mood, where did he end up? Leah sat up. Roman's state of mind had become fragile over the last week or two, and even though she didn't want to help Roman, Leah felt herself lifting out of the seat and heading to the door.

Leah ran along the top side of the beach looking out for Roman. She asked everyone if they had seen him, but no one had seen him. Leah began to panic.

~~~~~~~

"Sorry, but I just need to get one thing" Nicole said as she put the key in the lock

"You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached" Romeo laughed

"Haha very funny" Nicole replied as she opened the door. Nicole pushed the door, but it was difficult to move. "What the?" Nicole said as she looked up the door

"What's wrong?" Romeo asked

"The door. It wont open" Nicole said as she moved back

"Here" Romeo said as he tried to open the door.

Nicole put her head around the small gap Romeo had been able to create. "Oh my god! Dad!" Nicole screamed

"What?" Romeo asked

Nicole got her mobile out of her pocket. "I need an ambulance." Nicole told the woman where to send the ambulance. Romeo kept pushing the door until Nicole could fit through the gap

Roman was passed out on the floor. He wasn't responding to Nicole shouting at him.

The ambulance arrived and carried him into the back. Nicole climbed into the back of the ambulance also.

"I'll call the school. Do you want Miles to know as well?" Romeo asked

"Erm, yea" Nicole replied, unable to keep herself together

~~~~~~

Ruby walked along the corridor. She prepared herself for the difficult conversation she would be having. In her hand were the two birth certificates.

"Knock Knock" Ruby said as she entered the room.

"Ruby" Charlie smiled.

"Hi." Ruby smiled and uneasy smile.

Charlie pushed herself up the bed. That simple action caused a rush of pain to flow through Charlie''s body. She gasped as the pain made itself known.

"You ok?" Ruby asked as she rushed to Charlie's side.

"I'm fine" Charlie lied. "So. How are you?" Charlie asked. Hoping for the first calm conversation.

"I'm ok. Not good, but what else do you expect." Ruby replied.

Charlie noticed the papers in Ruby's hands. "What's that?" Charlie pointed

"Erm. I found these the other day. And It got me thinking" Ruby turned the papers over. "Have I got another birth certificate?"

Thank you for the comments.

Danni, Carina & prancer :):wub:

Chapter 29

"Male. Thirty-one. Passed out at the scene. Unresponsive to call from Nicole and myself. Treated at the scene for assisted breathing and fluids." The paramedic told the doctors as Roman was wheeled into the ER.

Nicole froze on the spot. She couldn't take in everything she was seeing in front of her. Her body shook with fright as she brought her hands to her face. She wiped the tears from her face as Roman was wheeled through another set of doors. Nicole then wrapped her arms around herself to comfort herself, she felt alone. She felt helpless.

"Miss?" a nurse said to her as she walked up behind Nicole.

Nicole turned to face the nurse. She wiped the tear that rolled down her cheek. "Yes" Nicole croaked.

"Roman Harris. Is he your father?" The nurse questioned.

"Yea" Nicole sniffed

"Come with me" The nurse told Nicole.

Nicole followed the nurse. She was lead to a small room where there was a couch, a few books, a hot drinks vender and a food vender. Nicole looked around the room. She felt the calm of the room ease her stressed body.

"The doctors are just assessing what has happened to Roman"

"Do they have any idea?" Nicole asked

"It's looking like it could be alcohol poisoning. He smelt of alcohol when we were assessing him at your home"

"Is that bad?" Nicole asked

"If were don't act fast, yes." The nurse replied. "Has he been drinking a lot lately?"

Nicole looked to the nurse. Nicole didn't want to answer, as she felt ashamed that things had got this bad and she didn't do anything to help. But she knew she had to. Roman needed help, and so did Nicole. "Erm, yea. The past few nights he's been staying out late just drinking in bars. I haven't really seen much of him" Nicole wiped a tear from her face

"Has there been some problems between the two of you?" The nurse -Andrea- asked

"No. We've been getting on great"

"Can you think of what it could be?" Andrea asked

Nicole thought. "He has just broken up with someone"

"How long ago?" Andrea asked

"A few days ago."

"I take it it didn't end well?"

"No" Nicole replied.

"I know this has been hard for you to say. But, this will help with your dad's recovery. You stay here, and I'll see if I can find out what the doctors are doing and see if they will come and speak to you" Andrea smiled.

"Thanks" Nicole replied with a weak smile.

~~~~~~~~

Romeo walked into school. Students were everywhere.

"Miles" Romeo shouted

Gina walked along the corridor "Romeo, at school he is Mr. Copeland. You know that"

"Sorry Miss." Romeo said.

Miles walked up to Gina and Romeo. "Yes?"

"Nicole isn't coming in. She's had to go to the hospital with Roman. We found him this morning passed out at home" Romeo told

"Oh my god. Is he alright?" Miles asked

"I have no idea. But Nicole was really upset and shaken"

"Miles, go to the hospital. I'll cover your classes. Romeo, you go two. I'll have notes made on all of your classes" Gina said

"Thank you Gina" Miles said

"Thank you miss" Romeo said.

"Go" Gina smiled. Miles and Romeo ran out of school and headed for Miles' car.

"Ah, Mr. Preston. Could you write up notes from your class for Ruby Buckton, Nicole Franklin and Romeo Smith. They wont be attending school today"

"Yea, sure. Is there a problem?" Mr. Preston asked

"Nothing you need to worry about." Gina smiled.

Mr. Preston walked away. Gina headed for the office to make notes of who was off that day.

Ruby, Nicole and Romeo's files were on her desk.

Ruby had missed nearly 2 weeks of school. Gina was aware that the family were going through something, but she didn't know about what.

Nicole and Romeo had the two days after the boat accident off, due to the states they were in afterward. And the rest of this week also.

Gina scratched her head. She'd only been the head teacher for a few weeks, and already she was been tested.

~~~~~~

Charlie looked at Ruby. The papers shook in the air as Ruby's hand trembled.

"Where did you find them?" Charlie asked

"The cupboard. I was trying to find answers." Ruby replied as she brought the papers down to her side.

"Can I see them?" Charlie asked as she held her hand out. Ruby nodded and handed the papers to Charlie. Ruby sat down on the edge of the bed, making sure she didn't catch Charlie's leg.

"Well?" Ruby asked.

Charlie looked to Ruby. Ruby deserved to know the truth. But after 16 years of hiding the truth, was she ready to find it and tell?

A tear fell down Charlie's cheek. "Yes" Charlie cried.

Ruby's mouth fell open. She let out a cry. "That's not my real certificate?" Ruby said as she pointed to the certificates.

"No, its not" Charlie cried.

"So where is it?" Ruby asked

"I don't know" Charlie replied

"Don't lie! You know where it is!" Ruby screamed

"Ruby I swear, I don't know where it is. If I did, I would tell you, I would show you. Please.."

"No. I can't" Ruby cried.

"Ruby, Please.." Charlie sat up, the pain causing Charlie to struggle for breath "Listen" Charlie gasped

Ruby shook her head and paced around the room. "I can't. I can't do this anymore" Ruby said then ran out of the room

"Ruby please!" Charlie screamed.

~~~~~~~~

19th March

I went to the hospital with mum today. It was for a scan to see how they baby is doing. I hate looking down at myself and seeing my belly sticking out. I can't fit into any of my clothes. I have to wear mums. But when I saw the baby on the screen, something happened. I don't know how to explain it. Its weird. I heard the heartbeat. It sounded like drums been beaten really fast. It was amazing. The nurse asked me if I wanted to know the sex, I wanted to know, so I could buy clothes, but I didn't, just in case...

20th March

The baby kicked today. It felt so strange. Like bubbles popping in side me. I was alone when it kicked. And, I felt a smile form on my face.

I told mum and dad when they got home, and they kept asking me if the baby was kicking now. The baby only seems to kick when I'm alone. In a way its nice to know I'm not alone in all of this, its kind of nice to know that after all this is over, I'll have something good at the end.

28th March

I saw him today. He was walking around like nothing had happened. God I wish I could move schools. So I wouldn't see his face ever again.

I froze on the spot. I never did anything. I just stood. Hoping he wouldn't see or speak to me. He never did. So I was glad of that. But that's when the baby kicked again. I think the baby knew I was upset, and the baby was trying to make me smile.

13th April.

Friday the 13th. What could go wrong today? So far: NOTHING!! I am so happy. Mum and dad felt the baby kick this morning. And I got a place in the school's drama team. This should keep me occupied.

12th June

One month to go. I'm kind of glad the baby will be born soon, I can barely walk! But I'll miss the kicks I get when ever I feel upset or sad. Hopefully the baby will always make me feel good every time I look at it.

14th June

I have a daughter! She's perfect. And so small!. She has my eyes, big blue, expressive eyes. They look too big for her face. Bless her.

I had to have a cesarean, I culdn't have her naturally. I'm kind of glad though, I heard a lot of screaming coming from down the hall. Didn't sound too pleasant! Anyway. I need to find a name for her.

16th June

Ruby. My little Ruby. I love that name, And I love her! But, I'm coming down with something I think. I'm full of cold. And Ruby doesn't look too good. I hope nothing's wrong :(.

Dad asked me why I called her Ruby. It didn't take me long to think of a name. My baby is precious to me, and so beautiful. Just like a Ruby is. My Ruby.

7th July.

I can't cope. I couldn't cope. I had to get away. Ruby was ill. I was ll, I couldn't cope. I'm so ashamed, I ran. Just left Ruby with mum and dad. I hate myself. But I saw how mum cared for Ruby and I realized, I'm not fit to look after her. I want to, so much. But how? I'm fourteen years old.

15th June.

Ruby is one now. She doesn't know me. I'm a complete stranger to her.

Ross sobbed as he looked at his hands.

Morag leaned over to Ross and embraced him.

The door hit the wall as the figure stood in the door way. Crying as they stared at Ross and Morag.

Archived