I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

Thank you so much for the :wub: comments. I love reading them and they do motivate me!

Hope this one’s ok: it’s a follow-up of the previous chapter. The next couple of chapters will be more in depth (I hope :unsure: )

Chapter 98

Avary walked into the station with a smile on his face. Georgina was walking around carrying files and paper on cases that needed a signature from a higher ranked officer.

“About time” Georgina snapped as she saw Avary sign in

“Sorry, I had a couple of things to do” Avary responded quickly as he put the pen down on the top ready for the next officer to sign in

“If you’re ok to come in now, why couldn’t you come in last night?” Georgie asked as she led Avary into the office

Avary followed on and closed the door behind him. “Tommy called me just after you’d done the interviews with the witnesses. Saying that Leah, Irene, Roman and Colleen all mentioned a noise before Charlie and Angelo went to investigate”

“Yea. And what has this got to do with why you weren’t in?” Georgie asked as she placed her hands on her hips

“I knew that I was suppose to work alongside Angelo last night, and I knew that I could have done what I did if Angelo was with me”

“What did you do?”

“I went to the wharf where the accident happened and looked around for anything that matched the description given”

“And?” Georgie asked

Angelo watched Charlie dress herself for the day ahead. The smile that Charlie had on her face was the first smile that had easily appeared on there for over eight months. Angelo knew that this was the beginning of Charlie’s turn around, and he was so glad that he would be apart of that and that he would be there for Charlie as she continued to put her life back on track.

“What are you doing?” Charlie asked as she turned to face Angelo, who had a huge boyish grin on his face

“Watching you. Is that a crime?” Angelo replied

Charlie covered herself shyly. “Yes” she smiled

“Tease” Angelo smiled as he rose to his feet and wrapped his arms around her “I’m so proud of you Charlie”

Charlie looked into Angelo’s eyes. “I am too. I never thought I’d get there, or here”

“Believe in yourself. Ruby and I do, so do Leah, Irene. Roman and even little VJ”

“Yea my little man. Hey, did I show you the teddy he got me?” Charlie asked

Angelo shook his head “Nope”

Charlie reached over to the unit and took the teddy bear from it. The bow was still tied and the not that VJ had written was still attached.

Aunty Charlie. Hope he can make you smile. He’s called Buck. Love VJ

“Aww, how cute” Angelo smiled “Aunty Charlie”

“I forgot to ask, how did work go last night?” Charlie asked as she put the teddy back down on the dresser.

Angelo pulled away. He knew what developments had been happening with the case -he knew that the date had been moved to next Thursday- and he knew that he, Ross and Morag had all agreed to not say anything until the file had been looked over by the lawyer who would take the case. Morag was unable to take the case as she had too many connections to the case. Connections that could be used to help Charlie win, and if she was the lawyer, she would be unable to give her evidence. “It went, but it was very dull. Traffic patrol isn’t as fun without you” Angelo replied, remembering what he and Charlie almost did the last time they did traffic patrol.

“Nice try. You pulled away, what’s gone on that you don’t want me to know about?” Charlie asked, knowing that Angelo’s reaction to pull away was a sign that he was trying to hid something.

“Nothing. I was getting too hot standing next to you” Angelo lied

“Angelo, I’ve barely got enough clothes on that can cause a hot flush” Charlie said as she looked down at the dress she had put on, something too keep her cool in the warm sun “So come off it. What do you know that you don’t want to tell me?”

Angelo looked to Charlie. She did have a right to know, but Angelo knew that Ross and Morag wanted to be the ones to tell Charlie. “About tomorrow night” Angelo quickly said

“Friday? What about it?” Charlie asked

“You, me, the beach. Sound good?” Angelo smiled

Charlie looked confused. “At night, a few candles, maybe a drink or two, some food” Angelo added

“Angelo, are you asking me to join you for a date on the beach?” Charlie asked

“You caught me” Angelo replied as he threw his hands in the air. “Busted”

Charlie didn’t fully believe Angelo’s story, but it did sound like a perfect was to spend a Friday evening. “Sorry. That sounds lovely” Charlie smiled.

Leah arrived at the diner with VJ dragging his feet behind her. He wanted to spend the day with Charlie as it was the first time in a while that Charlie was feeling ok to be up and about.

“VJ will you please stop dragging your feet. Those shoes cost $30”

“I wanted to stay home with Aunty Charlie” VJ replied sadly

“I know VJ, I did too” Leah replied “But hey, how about we see if Charlie wants to spend a day at the arcade centre in Yabbie Creek with us”

VJ’s face lit up “Really?”

“Yes. But only if Charlie feels up to it. Remember, she’s still not recovered” Leah replied

“Ok mum” VJ smiled. “When do you think Aunty Charlie will be better fully? You know, like I am?”

“I don’t know sweetie. Don’t forget, you’re a lot younger than Charlie and you got to hospital really quickly after you felt poorly”

“I know. Aunty Charlie did too. But, I think if the boat was moved quicker, Aunty Charlie wouldn’t have nearly died”

Leah saw the saddened look on VJ’s face. Even though VJ had seen Charlie smile, talk, walk and be a fraction of the old Charlie, he still couldn’t talk about Charlie and how she was when she first went to hospital. “Charlie is ok now though. She has you there to make her smile”

“And Buck around when I’m not” VJ smiled

“And Buck too” Leah repeated with a smile spread across her face

Ruby walked into the diner about half an hour after Leah and VJ. Her hair was slightly damp, she’d obviously had had a shower before leaving the house.

“Morning love” Irene smiled as she walked passed Ruby “How you doing?”

“I’m good thank you.” Ruby smiled

“And Charlie?”

“Great. Thank you so much for doing what you did Irene. It means so much. Not just to me, but to Charlie, Ross and Morag. I know I put you out but..”

“Forget it darl. Those mongrels deserve to be put away for a long time. I’m just glad we could help”

Ruby smiled. “You did. Because, you’ll never guess what Charlie did this morning”

Leah walked over to join Ruby and Irene. “What did she do?2

“Walked with only one crutch” Ruby smiled

Irene’s smile widened “Oh my godfather! That’s great!. Charlie, she must be over the moon with herself”

“She is, just, not as much as Angelo and I are” Ruby replied

“Did you see this?” Irene asked as she looked to Leah

“See what?” Leah asked

“Charlie walked with one crutch this morning. Angelo saw it from beginning” Ruby replied

“I heard the chats you were having. But, that’s great. No wonder Angelo had the biggest smile on his face”

“Everything’s coming back together for Charlie now. I can’t believe it” Ruby replied, lowering herself into a seat

“Well you’d better. Charlie never deserved any of what she got, and seeing how much her progress is making you all smile, all of that seems to be have forgotten”

“Well, it will be. At least when this court date is finalized” Ruby replied.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for the :wub: comments! They mean so much and I love reading them

This isn't one I'm happy with, but its the best I've managed to do. Thank you to Danni and Sarah for helping me remember the name of the teacher I couldn't remember his name lol.

Anyway, hope its ok and that you still enjoy. xx

Chapter 99

“Mum, I’m going to be late” VJ said as he grabbed his bag from the floor and walked away from Leah

“Alright I’m coming” Leah smiled as she looked to VJ “I’ll be back soon Irene” Leah said to Irene, who looked over and smiled “I’ll see you after school Ruby”

“Yea, see ya” Ruby replied, still with the smile on her face

“Its so good to see you smiling again” Irene said to Ruby as she moved closer to Ruby

“It feels good to smile again” Ruby replied “I guess, there’s more things to smile about now then there are to be upset about”

“You mean Xavier” Irene pointed out

“I’m angry with him, I trusted him and he said he would tell anyone. But, if he did speak to Georgina for me, so he has to still value our friendship” Ruby replied

“I think it’s a little more than that” Irene smiled

“I don’t think I can. Not until I know Charlie is ok and that all of this is behind us all”

“Rubes, that’s a lot to wait for. I know Xavier isn’t going to go anywhere, but, you need to think of yourself in this as well”

“I have, I did. For the first few months after the accident. And look how that turned out. I pushed everyone away, Charlie nearly died twice, Ross fell apart, Charlie did, Angelo lost it and Morag is the only one who has stayed sane through all of this” Ruby replied

“Morag hasn’t been as solid as you think” Irene confessed

“What?” Ruby asked

“I’ve had to sit and talk to Morag a few times. She thinks highly of you and of Charlie. You’re like daughters to her”

“Technically, I’m a granddaughter to her” Ruby replied

“You know what I mean” Irene smiled “She and I spoke for three hours nearly. She didn’t know how to cope with everything. Ross was leaning on her for support, and Morag had no one”

“I had no idea Morag felt like that” Ruby replied “I was so wrapped up in my own things”

“Morag didn’t want you to know. Charlie leant on you and Angelo, more Angelo than you, you leaned on Angelo and Ross, Ross leaned on Morag and Morag felt that she had to be the strong one. She saw how Ross had been affected by everything” Irene looked to Ruby and smiled. Leaving Ruby sitting at the counter, Irene walked over to a table that had just been occupied.

Ruby sat with her thoughts. What Irene had told her about how Morag was coping -or how she wasn’t coping- made her realise that its not only her and Charlie that are affected by the revelation. It was this that lead Ruby to realise that Xavier needed that one person to lean on -just like Ruby, Angelo, Ross and Charlie had someone- and because he didn’t, he found it harder to keep this to himself. Ruby’s phone ringing in her bag knocked her out of her train of thought.

“Hello?…Yea, I’m on my way… Ok I’ll see you then… bye” Ruby pressed the red button on her phone and put it back into her bag. She then bent down and picked her bag up and placed it on her back. When she looked up, she saw Xavier walking toward her, looking worried as he got closer.

“Ruby” Xavier began

“Xave, wait” Ruby said as she placed her hand in front of Xavier’s face. Xavier nodded and the two turned and began to walk out of the diner. Irene looked over and smiled at the two. “Irene said something to me and it’s made me realise that I haven’t given you chance to explain yourself to me, I know that that sounds really bad, but I’ve had so much going on that I haven’t had chance to think about anything” Ruby stopped to breath “Anyway, it wasn’t fair of me to dump all this stuff on you and then expect you to keep it to yourself” Xavier was about to speak “Please, let me finish” Xavier put his hands in his pockets “You had no one you could talk to openly about this. It was only me you could talk to, and I wasn’t really there. I should have been Xavier, none of this is your fault. I guess in a way, this is my fault”

“Ruby no, none of this is your fault. I promised that I wouldn’t tell anyone. Everyone kept asking me and asking me. I couldn’t take it any longer and I blabbed. I broke my promise and I’m so sorry Ruby. I understand if you never trust me again, but I don’t want to loose your friendship over this. It means too much to me, and I know that I can still be there for you whenever you need me”

“I do trust you Xavier. I wouldn’t have told you if I didn’t”

“But I told. It wasn’t my place to say anything” Xavier repeated

“No, but, Charlie and I had no idea how to tell people. So in a way, you’ve saved us a job” Ruby smiled

“So you were going to tell people?” Xavier asked

“I think so. I think I’ve coped with this a little better than Charlie. I mean, after talking to Bree, I realised that no matter how I feel about this, Charlie would feel it ten time worse” Ruby said as she kicked the sand

“Who’s Bree?” Xavier asked

Ruby looked to Xavier. She then realised that she was been open and sharing her feelings with Xavier. She smiled when she realised that what she had with Xavier right now, is the same as what Charlie had with Angelo: the support, the love and the shoulder and ear of the person they loved deep down.

Georgina sat in awe.

Looking over the pictures Avary had taken on his phone made her realise that there was more to the attack on Charlie and Angelo then they first realised.

“I can’t believe this” Georgina gasped

“I couldn’t. Not when I saw it all. This must have been what Charlie saw that night she was attacked when her and Angelo went to the warehouse” Avary replied “Charlie said that she remembered seeing some kind of statues been moved from a van to the warehouse and vice versa”

“So you think Charlie and Angelo stumbled across a drug smuggling plant?” Georgina questioned

“Maybe. But unfortunately for Charlie, they saw Charlie and knew that what she had seen could jeopardise their entire deal. They thought that Charlie and Angelo wouldn’t be found until it was too late. That’s why Charlie was hit over the head, you heard yourself, if Charlie hadn’t been seen to when she was, she’d be dead” Avary began “And Angelo, he was beaten as well, that would have been enough for him to keep his mouth shut”

“This is all well and good, but you are basing this on what if’s and theories. I know you want to get these guys for Charlie. We all do”

“What’s based on theories?” Angelo asked as he folded his arms over his chest as he stood in the doorway.

Georgie and Avary looked to Angelo and then to each other. “Nothing” They replied

“I heard everything about theories and what if’s. I also heard Charlie’s name. Come on, if this has something to do with the case, I have to know”

“Actually, it has to do with the case, and one of the conditions for me taking the case was to make sure you were kept out of the loop” Georgie replied, feeling bad whilst saying the words

Angelo’s face dropped. “Please. I feel like I’ve let her down as it is. Please let me know, I want to help”

“I know you do, but I can’t let you know” Georgie replied feeling Angelo’s pain. Angelo nodded sadly. Georgie looked to Angelo and then to Avary -who nodded- “But, if I were to leave the findings laying on the table and then walked away, I have no control over who looks at it”

Angelo smiled. “I’ll go get a coffee”

Angelo walked away. Georgina and Avary looked to one another. They knew that what they were doing could affect the case, but they also knew that Angelo could also be a huge help. He was there at the warehouse, and he was there to help Charlie whilst they waited for an ambulance.

“I hope this works” Georgie sighed as she and Avary left the office.

“Are you sure we can do this?” Avary asked as he sat in the seat just outside the office

“We’re not supposed to, but look at him” Avary looked over to where Angelo was stood. The sadness in his face hit Avary square in the face “It must be killing him not been able to do something on this case. I can’t imagine it”

“Could it put the case at risk of falling through?” Avary asked as he switched the computer on to upload the pictures from his phone “I mean, it if gets out that Angelo had a look. He’s done a statement and know he’ll be reading everyone else’s statements, isn’t that going to cause more harm than good?”

Georgina sat for a moment. She felt for Angelo; all he wanted to do was to see these people locked away and for Charlie to feel and be safe. So in that respect, Georgie wanted Angelo to look at the file so he would know that the chance of them been locked away for a long time was a high possibility. But on the other hand, if it was found out that Angelo had in fact read the other statements and seen the photos before the court hearing, his evidence would be withdrawn and the rest of the file would have been picked apart as well as the statements from Irene, Colleen, Leah, Roman, Ruby, Xavier, Romeo and Nicole.

“I can’t” Georgina finally replied as she rose to her feet and walked into the office. She took the file, closed it and placed it in the cabinet and locked the cabinet, placing the key in her pocket until the phone call came through allowing Georgina to give the file to Charlie’s lawyer.

“Whoa, what are you doing?” Angelo asked as he entered the office looking shocked to see the file had gone

“I’m sorry Angelo but, I can’t do this. I can’t watch this case fall apart, there’s too much at stake”

“We agreed” Angelo cried

“I can’t I’m sorry. You know as well as I that this sort of thing doesn’t work. Charlie wont be safe it you reading the file gets out. Those guys wont be put away and they’ll keep going after Charlie until they kill her” Georgina replied

Angelo shamefully nodded. Georgie was right. “You’re right. I’m sorry. I just, I just feel so useless!”

Angelo slumped down in one of the chairs. He fought hard to keep his tears in his eyes, but Georgie saw the watery glaze shine from the light.

“Angelo, I wish I could help you more, but I can’t. Not if I want to help Charlie feel safe. I really am sorry” Georgie said as she walked up to Angelo

“I know. Its just, I wanted Charlie to know that things were beginning to look up for her” Angelo spoke quietly

“Charlie has you doesn’t she? That should be enough to her” Georgina replied as she placed a comforting hand on Angelo’s shoulder.

Charlie found herself at the beach. A stroll that used to take her no longer than ten minutes now took her half an hour. But, Charlie had a reason to smile. Looking down at the ground to where her feet lay flat on the ground, only one metal pole could be seen resting on the ground next to her leg. She felt proud of herself for her small achievement, but alone because there was no one there to see her do this. She had been used to Morag, Ross, Angelo and Ruby been there beside her as she achieved things like this.

With the ocean breaking on the sand a the wind blowing gently, Charlie felt the warm sun on her face and the smile on her face lifted until her whole face lit up with happiness. More so when she thought of how she could spend her afternoon whilst Leah and Angelo were at work and whilst Ruby was at her study catch up class.

Ruby made her way along the corridors to where her study class was been held. She felt stupid. She was the only one from her class going. All the other students were the exchange students who had been away from school for most of the year.

As Ruby reached for the handle on the door, she heard footsteps coming toward her from behind. Turning around, she saw the faces of Nicole, Romeo and Xavier looking back at her with smiles present on their faces.

“What are you doing here?” Ruby asked as she turned to face them completely

“Showing our support” Nicole smiled as she showed Ruby the books and paper she was carrying

“Mum said we were able to join as we missed a few days of school. And she thought it would help you knowing that you had friends with you” Xavier replied

Ruby shyly smiled at Xavier before looking to Romeo and Nicole and smiling at them both. “Thanks”

Ruby led the way into the room where Mr Jennings was stood. Ruby immediately took a step back, she remembered the awkwardness she faced when he accused Gina of allowing the school to fall to shams,

“Come one in Ruby. I’m sure you need this class more than the other students do” Mr Jennings rudely spoke.

Ruby shook her head. “Hello to you too sir” She spoke in the same tone she was spoken to.

The diner had filled up nicely once more, causing the orders to fly in and out of the kitchen and for Roman and Leah to be busy preparing the dishes.

“Its Bedlam out there” Irene said as she wiped her hands down her apron and picked up the next two plates

“You’re telling me” Roman replied as he took the next order from the magnetic strip

Roman soon dove into the next order. Leah had picked up on his shyness earlier on in the week, but never said anything as she didn’t think it would amount to anything.

“Roman? You ok?” Leah asked

“I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?” Roman replied as he continued to work on the dish

“Well, ever since we made those statements you haven’t been yourself. And I’m not the only one who’s picked up on that. Nicole has too”

“Why don’t you mind your own business. Doesn’t anyone learn about butting in where they’re not wanted?” Roman snapped.

Leah pulled herself away in fright. In was in that moment she realised, that Roman was still battling his feelings for Charlie and how he felt he could have stopped the accident from happening. Leah then knew that she would have to find the strength to help Roman through this and to help him realise that it wasn’t his fault that any of this had happened.

Only problem. Roman had been so sure this was his fault for the last eight months.

Charlie finally made it to the school grounds. Young children ran around and laughed and played with their friends.

Charlie felt eyes on her as she continued to walk toward the doors where the children were piling out from. Charlie knew they were staring at her leg and the pins and bars and scars that were visible. Charlie wanted to run and hid, but, she knew that one day she would be able to forget all of the stares and be able to strut about feeling confident.

“Aunty Charlie!” VJ shouted happily as he saw Charlie stood near the bench

“Hey mate” Charlie smiled as the youngster wrapped himself around Charlie and squeezed her. “You ready for the afternoon with me?” Charlie asked as VJ pulled away

“Yes2 VJ smiled as he looked up to Charlie with his eyes flashing with happiness

Thank you for commenting and for taking the time to read this. It means so much!! :wub:

Chapter 100

Irene walked over to Leah and took the cloth and the cleaning spray from her hands. Placing her hands on her hips, Irene looked to Leah until Leah’s eyes met Irene’s.

“Don’t start Irene” Leah said as she threw her hands in the air

“I’m not. But, maybe you should take this as an opportunity to get through to Roman. Charlie has VJ this afternoon so you have plenty of time to talk to him. Roman can’t go on like this” Irene replied as she and Leah looked to Roman as he sadly wiped the table he was stood near. “You’re the only one who can get through to him” Irene added before walking away.

Leah sighed heavily. Irene was right. Looking at Roman with a heavy heart, Leah removed her apron and placed it on the counter in the kitchen. She then walked over to Roman and stood in front of him with her hands on her hips.

“Don’t bother Leah” Roman said without looking up from the table “I know what you’re going to say”

“No, no you don’t. Stop what you’re doing. We need to talk” Leah said as she placed her hands on top of Romans.

“I said no Leah” Roman said sternly.

“Roman yes. Nicole and I are worried about you. And you promised that you would sort yourself out for Nicole. How do you think she’d react to you been like this?” Leah replied, hoping her reverse psychology would work.

“Fine” Roman said as he removed his apron and threw it at the table. He stormed off in a huff, followed by Leah who wasn’t sure on where the conversation was going to go.

Silence fell between the two as they walked back to Roman’s house. Only the sound of the small pebbles on the road could be heard as they rolled along the floor from the draft Leah and Roman’s feet made.

“Roman, please, let me help. I hate seeing you like this” Leah said, breaking the awkward silence between the two.

“I should have got that boat away from Charlie”

Leah shook her head “Not this again Roman. You can’t keep blaming yourself for that. It took seven fire fighters to move the boat. You tried your best” Leah replied

“But I didn’t help” Roman sadly replied

“Ok, seriously, I have no idea how much longer I can keep having the same argument with you Roman. Charlie doesn’t blame you for her injuries, if anything, she’s grateful to you for trying to move the boat”

“How does Charlie know that?” Roman asked

“VJ told her” Leah replied

“VJ? He knew?”

“VJ was at school and saw the news coverage on the accident. He also saw you, Xavier and Romeo rush to help” Leah smiled

“It doesn’t change how I feel about this” Roman replied

“I know. All of us wish we could have done more to help Charlie and Angelo. But there was nothing we could have done. We’re here for Charlie now and that’s what’s important. The court hearing is coming up in the next couple of weeks and that’s when we can finally help Charlie get the justice she deserves. And maybe it will help you find the peace you need with this” Leah said

“I hope the court hearing helps. I hate feeling like this. I hate thinking that I failed Charlie. She might just be my friend but, I still love her”

“I know you do. But, you can’t let this hold you back and stop you from been happy” Leah placed her hand on Romans. “How about next weekend you and me go to the city for a few days. No one else, just you and me. Just to get away from all of this and just to enjoy been with each other”

Roman smiled “I’d like that”

“Really?” Leah smiled

“Really” Roman smiled as he pulled Leah close and kissed her.

Romeo, Xavier, Nicole and Ruby sat in the class looking at the books that Mr. Jennings had placed on the desks. He kept looking to Ruby with a disapproving look -he never got to find out why Ruby had the permission from Gina to have all that time away from school, and it bothered him so much-.

“In your own words, write down why you think Helen of Troy’s face was used to launch the ships that went to fight. You have the history books in front of you and you have half an hour to write them up” Mr Jennings finished what he was saying then sat down at the desk at the front of the classroom. He grabbed his book from the drawer, sat back in the chair, and crossed his legs on top of the desk and began to read.

The students who had done the exchange programme got right into their work. Romeo, Nicole and Xavier knew they didn’t have to do the work as they had been in that class when the teacher had been through it with them.

“You don’t have to stay you know” Ruby said as she grabbed a pen from her pencil case

“We want to” Nicole smiled

“Thanks” Ruby smiled back. “It means a lot to me”

Xavier smiled to Ruby and tried to make her see the smile he had on his face. He still felt bad about what he did, and no matter how many times he said he was sorry, he felt that it would never be enough to undo the damage he thought he had done.

“Xave, stop” Ruby said as she continued to look down at her paper.

“Stop what?” Xavier asked

“Stop worrying about me and what this has done. I told you its fine” Ruby replied as she looked up to face Xavier

“I really am sorry” Xavier said again

“I know. But if you apologise once more I’m going to get really annoyed. And if its still bothering you, go and say you’re sorry to Charlie. I’m sure she could do with hearing those two words”

“Do you think so?” Xavier asked

“Isn’t she coping with everyone knowing?” Nicole asked

“Charlie’s ok, I guess. I think its because the chance to tell people was taken away from her that’s got her a little worried, but, because no one knows the full story, I guess she can cope better than what I would cope if I was her”

“Again I’m..”

“Don’t say it. At least not to me” Ruby smiled

“So, what is the full story?” Nicole asked

“I can’t tell you Nic. Not just yet. I can’t do that to Charlie” Ruby replied

“Forget it, I shouldn’t have asked”

Marilyn walked into the house after her long walk with Sid, Dex and Indi. It was part of the ‘getting to know each other’ plan Sid had come up with so his kids and the woman he loved could get better acquainted with one another.

“I know you’re a doctor dad, and that you can bring us back to life if we collapse, but, was walking that far necessary?” Dex panted as he went to the fridge to grab a water

“Sorry, I just love the outdoors and when I walk I get sidetracked”

“I know, I saw all those tracks. They were muddy” Dex replied as he drank some of his drink

“I like it” Indi said. Dex looked to her “I mean it. Ok maybe next time it would be nice to know how far we would be walking, but, I don’t know, the walk gave me chance to think about things”

“You look like my daughter, but you don’t sound like her” Sid said as he walked over to Indi

“Shut up” Indi smiled

“How about I cook us a nice, lovely Lentil casserole for tea eh? Wouldn’t that be nice?” Marilyn smiled

“Lentils? Aren’t those them reddy, orange things that look like squashed balls?” Dex asked as he sat on the couch next to Indi

“Yes” Marilyn chuckled

“That sounds lovely Marilyn, but, Romeo and I have plans tonight. I’m sorry” Indi replied

“That’s fine. I hate to stand in the way of love” Marilyn smiled

Indi awkwardly smiled “Speaking of Romeo, Where is he?” Sid asked

“He’s doing the extra study class with Xavier and Nicole. They’re showing support for Ruby” Indi answered

“And why aren’t you there? After all, you did say you thought of Ruby as a friend” Dex pointed out

“I didn’t miss any school when all of this stuff kicked off so I can’t go to the study catch up thing. Which is annoying because it feels like I haven’t spent anytime with Romeo, but at the same time, I know he’s looking out for a friend which I think is great” Indi replied

“Well, I think that’s great. Romeo didn’t look so good the days after the accident. Its about time that he’s getting some life back into him. Nicole too. She didn’t look so great”

“Its weird to think one accident affects so many people” Indi said as she took the drink from Sid

“Has anyone heard anymore on who was responsible for causing the accident?” Sid asked

“No, well, I haven’t heard anything” Indi replied

“No one at school talks to me. I live in my own little world. I’m quite happy there. I’ve grown attached to it. I make my own rules” Dex smiled

Sid raised an eyebrow “Ok”

“I hope they have got something. I keep seeing Charlie and she looks so down” Marilyn said as she placed her hand over her chest “I feel so sorry for her”

“It can’t be good, knowing that the people who did that to her are still roaming about everywhere” Sid added

“Actually, I think they have them in custody. That’s why Romeo, Nicole, Leah, Xavier, Roman, Colleen and Irene had to go to the police station” Indi said

“Why?” Marilyn asked

“Because they were witnesses” Dex answered “Wait a minute. You were in the hospital when Charlie and Angelo were taken in. How come you weren’t interviewed?”

“Rachel handled Charlie and Dr. Anderson dealt with Angelo. I had no contact with either of them” Sid replied

Miles and Alf walked into the house.

“G’day Sid, how you doing?” Alf asked as he walked to Sid

“I’m good Alf thank you and you?”

“I’ll be a whole lot flammin’ better when those people from the news network leave” Alf replied

“They still there?” Marilyn asked

“Yep. Asking anyone and everyone if they any thing else to add to the story” Miles pitched in

“You’d have thought the police would have got rid of them I mean, Charlie is one of their own” Sid replied

“They can’t do anything. As far as the news is concerned its still a case that is hot news, they don’t care who they hurt just as long as they get the story they want”

“Should we go and get them to leave?” Marilyn suggested

“Don’t think there’s much we can do love” Alf replied

“What would you like to eat first VJ?” Charlie asked as she looked at the menu

VJ looked at the pictures of the food the menu “I don’t know. What do you want Aunty Charlie?”

“I’m going to have the double cheese burger. I’ll need that if I’m going to beat you at air hockey” Charlie smiled

“You won’t beat me at air hockey. I’m the best. I can beat Roman on WII” VJ smiled

“How you liking having Roman around the house?” Charlie asked

“Its good. Mum’s happy Roman is too. I’m glad they’re together” VJ replied

“That’s good then” Charlie replied

“What about you and Angelo? Aren’t you two happy?”

“Why do you ask that?” Charlie asked

“Angelo hasn’t been around much. Is something wrong?”

“No VJ, Angelo is just busy at work, that’s all” Charlie replied

“Good. Because, I like seeing you happy. I hated seeing you upset and sad”

“I know. I did too” Charlie smiled

“Can I have a chicken burger please?” VJ asked

“Sure” Charlie smiled

After finishing their burgers, VJ put the tray in the bin and then handed Charlie her crutch. People stared at VJ as he helped Charlie to her feet, but he and Charlie ignored them They were having fun and nothing would stop them from enjoying each others company.

“Thank you VJ” Charlie smiled as she began to walk to the arcade

Charlie was just about to put the money in the machine to begin the game of air hockey when she saw VJ’s eyes wander over to the bowling alley. Charlie looked down to her leg and then to VJ.

“Do you want to bowl?” Charlie asked

“You can’t” VJ replied as he walked toward the table

“I can’t. Or are you scared that’ll I’ll beat you?” Charlie replied

VJ smiled at Charlie. “You won’t beat me”

“Is that a yes then?” Charlie asked

“Yes” VJ smiled.

VJ ran ahead to the desk where you paid for the games. Charlie knew that this could set her back a few days with her recovery, but she felt it would be better to try and do things that required move physical movements than to not do any at all. Charlie did wonder if she should call Rachel and see if it was ok for her to have a game with VJ, but she decided against it and began to hope for the best.

“You ready?” Charlie asked as she and VJ made their way to the lane they had been given.

“I only asked for one game Aunty Charlie. Is that ok?” VJ said to Charlie as they sat on the bench and waited for their names to come up on screen.

“Yea, course” Charlie replied “Why?”

VJ looked down with a sad face “I don’t want you to get sick again or to go back in hospital”

Charlie wrapped her arms around VJ “Hey, I’m not going anywhere.”

“Do you promise?” VJ asked

“I promise”

Thank you so much for the comments :wub: love reading them :)

Hope this is ok....it should answer a few things (Hopefully lol)

***Drugs mentioned and small detail into Charlie's rape***

Chapter 101

Sitting on the couch with her head resting on Roman’s chest, Leah found herself smiling about her future with Roman. Since coming home from the diner and having a heart to heart talk, Leah felt as though Roman had finally begun to release that build up of guilt he had allowed himself to keep for so long.

“What you thinking?” Roman asked as he ran his hand down Leah’s arm

“I’m just, glad we can do this without feeling any pressure from anything” Leah replied as she placed her hand on top of Roman’s

“Me too. I can’t tell you how much better I feel now that I’ve told you. I’m so sorry I pushed you away Leah, you are the last person I want to push away”

“I’m just glad you let me in. You couldn’t keep all that to yourself” Leah replied

“I know. But, I know who I can turn to” Roman said as he looked to Leah with love in his eyes.

“What time is Nicole due back?” Leah asked as she looked at her watch

“Why do you ask?” Roman asked

“VJ should be home in the next hour or so, and I just wanted to know so that I could leave just before she gets back”

“Leah, Nicole likes you. She’s glad we’re together. Happy even” Roman replied

“Its not that I don’t want to leave and seem rude, I know that I’m welcome, but I just think you need to talk to Nicole and tell her what’s been going on with you”

“I will” Roman smiled. “So, Charlie took VJ out did she?”

“Yea, and knowing my son, they’re probably at the arcade” Leah smiled

“The one where the bowling alley is?” Roman asked

“Yea. Why?” Leah asked

“I just hope Charlie had a lot of money with her. There are so many games there, VJ will have had a go on all of them”

“Don’t say that, I’ll have to pay Charlie back”

“Well done mate!” Charlie smiled as the last pin fell down causing a strike

“I told you I would beat you” VJ smiled as he walked back to Charlie’s side

“Hey, you’re only just beating me” Charlie replied with a smile that went from her face as she felt a sharp pain in her leg

“Aunty Charlie? You ok?” VJ asked as he saw Charlie’s reaction

“I’m fine” Charlie lied as she breathed through the pain.

VJ watched as Charlie rose to her feet and made her way to the holder where the balls were. Charlie used all her energy to not fall or stumble, she didn’t want to ruin the afternoon she was having with VJ, she was enjoying herself and she could see that VJ was enjoying himself also.

Picking the child friendly ball from the holder, Charlie walked toward the line and rolled the ball down the alley; the ball hit the barriers as it headed toward the pins. One by one they fell to the ground.

“You did it!” VJ smiled as the last pin fell to the ground. Charlie smiled at VJ’s reaction.

“I’m one point ahead of you now VJ” Charlie said before sticking her tongue out

“I can still win you, you know” VJ replied as he walked passed Charlie who sat down on the bench and felt herself relax instantly.

Ruby, Romeo, Xavier and Nicole walked out of school and headed toward the beach.

“Nic, I’ve never asked, how’s Roman doing?” Ruby asked as she tucked her hair behind her ear

“He’s good. I think. We haven’t really spent a lot of time together. With him been busy at work and me having all this study to do we barely see each other. Last time I spoke to him though it was like nothing had happened and everything was back to normal. It was nice. I’ve got my dad back” Nicole smiled

“That’s good” Ruby replied “And how are Leah and Roman going?”

“They’re going. But I don’t know how serious they are. Leah, dad and I haven’t had that talk yet. But, they make each other happy, so I guess that’s the main thing” Nicole replied. “And how about Charlie and Angelo? How’s that going?”

“Great. I mean, Angelo has been great to Charlie ever since the accident happened, even more so since the truth came out. Charlie trusts him, I know that. Charlie told Angelo everything about what happened to her and the whole reasoning behind me so, that’s helped her a lot. And Angelo has been so great with Ross”

“He really loves he doesn’t he?” Nicole asked

“Yea. I don’t think Charlie would have told him everything if she didn’t”

“How much longer until Charlie gets the pins and bars out from her leg?” Xavier asked

“A few weeks I think. But she has a few check ups to have”

“What? Like making sure her leg is straight?” Romeo asked

“That and the pelvic injury hasn’t become worse” Ruby replied

“What pelvic injury?” Nicole asked

Ruby stopped. She realised that she had nearly said everything without even thinking about it. Ruby took this as a sign. Maybe she was ready to have people know. After all, they were all been so great to the family after everything had happened and they haven’t put pressure on Ruby or Charlie to know the full story.

“Charlie had more injuries?” Romeo asked. “God, I only thought it was her leg, arm and chest that was affected”

Xavier looked to Ruby. He knew the truth, but Nicole and Romeo obviously didn’t. Ruby looked to Xavier -as though for comfort and support- then looked to the diner. “Erm, no, they were the only injuries she got” Ruby replied

“Oh, ok” Romeo replied, happy with the answer he got. He did want to know what Ruby meant, but he also knew that Ruby might not be ready to tell.

“How about we get something to eat? My treat” Xavier said

“Sounds good” Nicole smiled

“Rubes? You in?” Xavier asked as he noticed Ruby had distanced herself from the group. When she remained silent, Xavier walked over to Ruby “Hey, you ok?”

“Hmm? Oh, yea, I’m fine. I was just thinking” Ruby smiled

“About?” Xavier asked

“Everything” Ruby replied with the same smile

“So, you coming to the diner?” Xavier asked

“Yea” Ruby replied

It had been an hour and a half since Ruby, Nicole, Xavier and Romeo had left the study class. An hour and a half since Charlie and VJ had finished their game of bowling. An hour and a half since Roman and Leah had had their talk and where Roman finally stopped blaming himself and began to work on building a future with Leah.

Leah moved from Roman’s warm, comforting embrace to go and make a start on some tea. Roman smiled and watched as Leah did so.

“What do you fancy?” Leah asked as she stood near the fridge

“You” Roman replied as he walked into the kitchen and behind Leah

“Roman” Leah giggled as his lips touched the back of her neck

“I’m serious” Roman said as he continued to kiss Leah

“VJ will be home soon” Leah smiled as she tried to shake Roman away from her

“So? We can be quiet” Roman smiled as he went to spin Leah around so they he could look at her.

“Mum!” VJ shouted as he and Charlie entered the house through the front door.

“Told you” Leah smiled as she turned to face Roman. Roman’s face dropped, but soon picked up again when Leah smiled and headed into the front room. “Hey mate. How much fun did you have?” Leah asked as VJ gave her a hug

“It was great. I won Aunty Charlie at bowling!” VJ smiled

“Really? Well done” Leah smiled

“But only by one point” VJ confessed as he looked to Charlie

“so you had a good day then” Leah asked again

“Yes. Can we do it again later Aunty Charlie?” VJ asked as he looked to Charlie, who looked as though she was about to drop to the ground

“Yea, maybe” Charlie replied, using the rest of the very little energy she had left to try and hid how exhausted she was.

VJ put his things away in his bedroom and the came back into the front room as sat down on the couch. Charlie sat beside him, trying to mask the pain she was feeling in her leg.

Roman and Leah sat on the other couch.

“How much damage was done to your wallet?” Roman asked

“Not much. Besides, I had a great time with VJ, so, price didn’t really matter” Charlie smiled as she looked to VJ, who gave her an equally big smile

“We had a double cheeseburger, fries and Pepsi for tea mum. It was great, and then we played one game of bowling, which I won and then we played air hockey. But Aunty Charlie won that” VJ explained

“Sounds like you had fun little man” Leah smiled

“I did. Thank you mum for letting me spend time with Aunty Charlie” VJ smiled

“That’s ok, VJ” Leah replied as she winked at her happy son. “Ok, go have a bath and then get to bed please”

“Ok. Roman? Can you read me the superman comic when I’m in bed?” VJ asked as he parted from a hug with Charlie

“Yea, sure mate” Roman smiled

VJ smiled at Roman as he walked over to Leah and gave her a hug and a kiss, He then headed off to the bathroom and proceeded to run the bath.

“Superman?” Leah asked as she laughed

“For a few nights now, I’ve read one of my old comics to him. He loves it”

“Not that comic you got when you were fifteen?” Charlie asked

“The very same one” Roman replied with a smile

“You got a comic when you were fifteen?” Leah asked as she looked to Roman and then to Charlie and shared Charlie’s bout of laughter

“Laugh if you want, but comics are cool” Roman defended

“Yea. Sure” Charlie and Leah laughed

As Charlie and Leah calmed themselves and were able to look at Roman without raising a smile, Charlie found herself thinking.

Is now the right time?

“Charlie? You ok?” Leah asked as she noticed the look on Charlie’s face

“Yea” Charlie replied unconvincingly

“Charlie” Roman said, using the tone that said, I know you’re hiding something.

Charlie sighed. “Erm, I’ve wondered whether or not to tell you. And , I’ve decided, that, I can tell you”

“Tell us what?” Leah asked

“Its not you leg? Or anything to do with the case is it?” Roman asked as he rushed to Charlie’s side

Charlie smiled “No”

“Well, then what is it?” Leah asked

Charlie was about to speak. “Is is about what happened at the diner a week or so ago?” Roman asked

Leah looked to Charlie and then to Roman “Oh my god, it is isn’t it?”

Charlie nodded. “Erm, Ruby is my daughter”

“Charlie, you don’t have to tell us” Leah said as she sat beside Charlie

“I know. But, I want to. You’ve been so patient with me and so understanding, and, its not fair that you have been kept in the dark about this when its something I’m sure that has been going through your minds over and over again”

“Charlie, we’re your friends, that’s what friends do. You were there for me when I needed you after everything with VJ and with Dan. And I was there for you when you needed me. I don’t need to know this, you don’t have to tell me” Leah added as she took Charlie’s hand.

“I want to. Please let me” Charlie replied

Roman and Leah nodded.

“Erm, when I was fourteen, there was this party at someone’s house. My boyfriend and I went, we were having such a great night, spending time with each other and with the friends we had. Everything was perfect. He offered to walk me home, and , I said yes. We walked along the beach, it was something out of a movie. We sat on the sand and watched the ships in the distance. We kissed and everything was going great. Then I felt his hand go……

As the teens walked from the top side of the beach to the wet sand near to where the water broke, Ruby battled to ever growing nagging in her head that was telling her to come clean to her friends.

Romeo dragged Nicole down the sand and toward the water. “No don’t” Nicole screamed as she tried to pull herself away from Romeo. Romeo continued to drag Nicole toward the water, the grin on his face becoming wider as he felt the waves tickle his feet. “No Romeo!” Nicole screamed once more as Romeo proceeded to lift her from the ground.

“What’s wrong?” Xavier asked as he noticed Ruby wasn’t there completely

“Hmm?” Ruby replied as she looked to Xavier “oh, nothing. I was just thinking”

“About?” Xavier asked

“About this. Everything. I’d hidden away from the truth for so long that, it doesn’t feel right anymore”

“What doesn’t feel right?”

“Lying. I know there’s a reason behind the lies, but, it doesn’t make it any better you know. I just, I can’t shake this feeling that, if I keep this to myself for much longer, then, I’m going to make myself go crazy”

“So what are you going to do?” Xavier asked

Ruby had no time to reply. Romeo came running up toward them with Nicole following right behind. Her hair dripped with water, her clothes stuck to her and she didn’t look to happy. “I’m going to kill you!” Nicole said as she rung her hair out

“You love it” Romeo teased

Ruby looked to Xavier in the same tone Xavier looked to her.

“Sorry, were you two in the middle of something?” Romeo asked as he noticed the looks Xavier and Ruby were sharing.

“No” Ruby replied with a shake of her head. “I was, just about to tell you something”

“Perfect” Avary smiled as he put the phone back on the hook

“What is?” Georgina asked as she looked over to where Avary was sitting

“Clyde and Bobby Cooper and Yasmin Blake. Drug dealers who smuggle crack cocaine and marijuana into the country”

“That’s what Charlie and Angelo busted at the warehouse”

“Yep. The drugs were brought here by land, dropped off at the warehouse and then moved to countries via sea”

How close were they to getting things over sea?” Georgina asked

“The noise that Charlie and Angelo heard? They were the containers been shut. The statues used to conceal the drugs were in metal containers which were been stored in the boat house to be put on the boat which would transport the drugs elsewhere. Thirty containers had been hidden in the boathouse with three on the boat”

“Drugs? How did this slip through out fingers?” Georgina asked

“That doesn’t matter now. All that matters now is that we have enough evidence to have Bobby, Clyde and Yasmin locked away fro a long time”

“Does that mean there is a small chance Bobby and Clyde could have helped push the boat on top of Charlie and Angelo?”

“No a small chance. Every chance. We thought it was strange when everyone said all they saw was one woman push the boat and yet three men couldn’t move the boat. Bobby and Clyde hid once they’d helped push the boat. Yasmin ran off, making it look like our chase would take us away from the crime scene.”

Georgie smiled “That’s the best news I’ve had for weeks”

“What is?” Angelo asked as he walked through the door.

“We need to shut that door” Georgie replied

“That still wouldn’t keep him out” Avary added

“Sorry.” Angelo replied as he walked backward

“No, its fine. Hey, you haven’t told Charlie about the court date yet have you?” Georgina said

“No, I was told I wasn’t allowed to”

“Well, forget that. You can tell her. And also” Georgie said as she handed the final file to Angelo

“Drugs?” Angelo asked as his eyes widened

“Yep. You and Charlie stumbled across a huge drug smuggle” Avary said as he leant up against the desk and folded his arms.

“This is great” Angelo smiled, nearly unable to hold back his tears

“Don’t cry mate” Avary joked

“Sorry, its just, Charlie hasn’t had a lot to smile about recently so, this should make her smile” Angelo replied

Thank you so much for the :wub: comments xx

Ok I was hoping to have Charlie and Angelo's date in this chapter, but that didn't work out so I PROMISE next chapter will be their date.

Danni: thanks for the helpful suggestions xx

Hope this is ok... a bit long I think but anyway...

Chapter 102

Angelo drove from the police station to Leah’s house with a smile plastered over his face. Finally he was able to tell Charlie the news that had been kept from her for over a week.

Angelo had called Ross and Morag to fill them in and Ross had asked if Angelo could be the one to break the good news to Charlie, as Ross felt it would be better for Angelo to say something as Angelo had wanted to -so desperately- ease the pain and grief this had caused Charlie.

As he pulled the car up behind Charlie’s unused blue car, Angelo smiled even more and looked to the file that was beside him on the passenger seat. Switching off the engine, Angelo grabbed the file and began to get out of the car. The door slammed shut, but Angelo didn’t care that it could wake the neighbours if they were sleeping. He was more bothered about telling Charlie.

Inside the house Charlie had been defeated by tiredness. Her leg was causing her great pain, her chest was beginning to strain and all she wanted to do was sleep. Roman and Leah had remained in the front room, still reeling from what Charlie had told them.

Leah stared at the picture of herself, Charlie and Ruby that was taken at Leah’s thirtieth birthday. Never did she think that -in two years time from when that picture was taken- Charlie and Ruby were mother and daughter.

“I never saw that” Leah said, each word been an effort to speak

“I can’t believe that happened to her. How can she be so strong?” Roman replied as he looked to the happy, smiling picture of Charlie

“I don’t think she has. All those times she was so broken and we couldn’t understand why. Now we do” Leah answered. Tears filled Leah’s eyes as she thought about the horrific things that happened to Charlie when she was young.

“What’s these for?” Roman asked as he wiped Leah’s face

“Charlie went through that on her own. She had no one there to talk too” Leah sobbed

“No, but now she has you” Roman replied, comforting Leah as he did so.

“What can I say to her now? I can’t even begin to imagine that happening. I was 23 when I had VJ. Charlie was fourteen. And Vinnie and I made love, I wasn’t… you know.. And I could raise VJ from been a baby. Charlie never got that” Leah continued as she had tears fall down her face

“You can’t change what happened. But you can change what will happen. Be there for Charlie like you have always been, she’ll need it” Roman smiled

“What about you?” Leah sniffed

“What about me?” Roman asked

“How do you feel about this?”

“I want to punch the guy in the face and make his life a living hell. But, Angelo will be first in line. My place is here, with you and been there for you when you need me” Roman replied

Leah looked at Roman and smiled. She then rose to her feet and headed to the door when she heard the knock.

“Angelo, hey” Leah smiled as she wiped the residual tear the was present on her cheek

“What’s the problem?” Angelo asked worryingly as he saw how red Leah’s face was

“I’m fine” Leah replied

“No, what happened?” Angelo asked

“Charlie told us” Leah answered

“Are you two ok?” Angelo asked as he gave Leah a hug and looked at Roman

“I’m alright, its just Leah” Roman replied as he pointed to Leah

“I’d better check on VJ. He’s not made much noise since you read him that comic book” Leah said as she pulled away from Angelo and headed to VJ’s room.

Angelo made his way across the room and sat beside Roman.

“How long have you known?” Roman asked after a period of silence.

Angelo looked to Roman “A few days after the accident. Charlie broke down and told me.”

“And Ruby?” Roman asked

“Her too. Well, Ruby over heard everything”

“How did you remain together? I’ve only just found out and I’m not sure on what to make of everything. One part of me wants to kill the guy”

“And the other part thinks that would be a nice way for him to go” Angelo finished

“Yea. How did?….” Roman asked

“I had the same thoughts. I saw how upset and vulnerable Charlie looked when she told me, so I could only imagine how she would have been at the time. I wanted to keep her in a bubble so no one could hurt her. I wanted to find the guy who did that to her and hurt him I wanted something really horrible to happen to him. I had all these emotions running around in my head. But, I saw what it did to the family and I couldn’t let my feelings be seen. But, seeing how much Charlie has come on in her recovery, I’ve forgot all of that. What happened was in the past, she’s moved on and hopefully, with me, she and I can have a happy future together. With Ruby in there also, although I haven’t worked that part out yet”

“How has Ross and Morag taken to all this that’s gone on?” Roman asked

“Morag was shocked. No idea about any of this. Ross was alright to begin with, but after Ruby ran and wouldn’t speak to anyone, that’s when he broke down. I remember talking to Morag in the hospital about the situation and I remember thinking that, this was the tester for me. If ever I was supposed to be with Charlie and have a future with her, this would decide that for me”

“And has it?” Roman asked

“I love her and I want to be with her. Regardless if she has one daughter or three”

“Are you sure?” Roman asked doubtful

“Course I’m sure. Why would I be?” Angelo asked

“Ross had Morag. Morag has Ross. Ruby had Xavier, Nicole, Indi, Dex and Romeo. Charlie had you, Ross and Morag. Who did you have?”

“Morag” Angelo replied. Roman raised an eyebrow. “What? Know you don’t believe me?”

“Angelo, I know how messed up you can get if you don’t talk about what’s going on. Look what happened to me, I didn’t talk to Leah or Nicole even thought they tried to get me to talk. I wish I did because then I wouldn’t have done what I did and I wouldn’t have caused Nicole unnecessary grief” Roman began “And that was just a break up and the accident. Yours is the accident, seeing Charlie like she was, watching her family suffer this and seeing the aftermath. Talk to someone. Anyone” Roman finished

Angelo and Roman shared the same look. “You got any beer?” Angelo asked as he cleared his throat, trying to grab the last of his masculinity

“I think we do in the fridge. I’ll go look” Roman replied as he ran to the kitchen

The waves washed up on the beach. Calming, soothing a distraction from what was going on. Ruby sat with either hands in the sand, picking some up in her hands and letting it drain through the gaps between her fingers as she waited for Xavier, Nicole and Romeo to return from the diner.

Indi was walking toward the diner followed by Dex, when she looked down to the beach and saw Ruby. “I’ll catch up” Indi said to Dex as she began to make her way down to the sand

“Hey” Indi smiled as she got close to Ruby

“Hey” Ruby replied

“Where is everyone?” Indi asked as she looked around before sitting on the sand next to Ruby

“They went to get some food” Ruby replied as she continued to play with the sand

Indi nodded before looking at Ruby once more. “Are you ok?”

“Fine” Ruby replied with a pathetic smile

“Ruby, I know we don’t know each other very well, but, even I can tell you’re lying”

Ruby let out a small laugh. “Sorry, its just, I’ve had so much going on that, I can’t seem to think properly or clearly anymore”

“Has this got something to do with the case?” Indi asked

Ruby looked at Indi. “That and other things”

“How is the case going? I know Mr. Stewart and Miles were concerned because they saw the news crews out again”

“They’re still out? Oh my gosh, can’t they just go and leave Charlie and Angelo in peace”

“If there’s anything I can do to help” Indi smiled

“Thanks” Ruby replied.

Nicole, Xavier and Romeo walked back to where Indi and Ruby were sitting. Indi rose to her feet.

“Well, I’ll leave you four to it” Indi said as she brushed the sand away from her trousers

“No, erm, stay” Ruby replied as she looked at Indi

“You sure?” Indi replied

“Yea. You’re a friend right?” Ruby smiled

Indi smiled and sat down once more, this time next to Romeo.

Ruby cleared her throat. She couldn’t believe what she was about to say. “Erm, well, I guess you all know that Charlie is my mum”

“We heard that” Nicole replied as she looked to Xavier, who responded with hitting her gently on the arm

“Well, Xavier knows the full story. I thought that was hard telling him, but, it was easier than I thought. And when I realised that Charlie trusted Angelo enough to tell him, I was sure of my decision to tell him”

“Until he blabbed” Romeo added

“Shut up” Xavier replied

“What did Charlie tell Angelo?” Indi asked

“Everything. From how I was conceived up until I was five”

Indi, Nicole and Romeo looked from Ruby to Xavier and then back again. Ruby began to shake slightly and Xavier saw this, so he moved closer to Ruby and took her hands.

“Charlie was fourteen when I was born. I’m sure you figured that out by now. But, Charlie was…she…I’m the pr…..Charlie was……” Ruby couldn’t finish. She couldn’t find the right words to use.

“Its ok Rubes, you don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to or if you’re not ready” Nicole replied as she placed her hand on Ruby’s.

“I want to tell you. I can tell you” Ruby replied. Taking a deep breath, Ruby prepared herself to say what happened “Charlie was raped.”

The following morning

Ruby emerged from her room. She looked to the door in front of her which had Charlie in. Ruby wasn’t sure of how Charlie would react to finding out that Ruby had told Romeo, Nicole and Indi the truth. Sighing heavily, Ruby turned to face the front room. She walked across the room and entered the kitchen, where -to her surprise- she found Charlie sitting with a cup of coffee in her hand.

“Morning” Ruby said quietly

“Morning” Charlie replied, just as quietly

“Sleep well?” Ruby asked

“Yea. And you?” Charlie replied

“Good” Ruby replied.

After Ruby spoke the kitchen fell silent. All that was heard was the freezer buzzing.

Ruby looked to Charlie.

Charlie looked to Ruby.

“This is ridiculous” Charlie said as she placed her cup on the table

“What is?” Ruby asked as she put the spoon she was holding into the bowl

“This. Not talking. Yesterday we spoke, the day before that we spoke. This, us not talking is ridiculous”

“Sorry, I just thought that, you’d want quiet” Ruby replied

“Rubes, I stare at the same four walls until you, Leah or Angelo come over and keep me company. Company, loud, talk, conversation is all I want” Charlie replied

“Ok” Ruby smiled.

“Good. So, anything new with you?” Charlie asked innocently

“Why? Who have you been speaking too?” Ruby asked quickly

“No, I’m just asking” Charlie replied, taken aback by the sudden outburst Ruby had just given

“Oh, right. Sorry” Ruby replied

Charlie winced in pain “Ow” Charlie said as she grabbed her leg

“Charlie? You ok?” Ruby asked as she looked to Charlie with concern in her face

“I think I pushed myself too far yesterday” Charlie replied as the wave of pain vanished

“Oh yea, I forgot to ask, how did you day with VJ go?” Ruby smiled

“We had fun. I forgot what fun felt like. Other than the stares I kept getting, it was great”

“Are you sure they were staring?”

“Rubes, they looked at the crutch and at my leg. They were staring”

“Wait, you only used one crutch” Ruby repeated smiling “Charlie that’s great”

“Yea” Charlie agreed, although, not too convincingly.

“That didn’t sound too convincing Charles” Ruby laughed

“Its great, it is. Its just, I can’t be happy about this until I know that the trail is over and that all of this can get put behind me”

“Charlie, forget about the trial, focus on your recovery. That’s what’s important”

“What about the rest of it?”

“The rest of what?” Ruby asked

“The rest of my recovery. The emotional side. This has effected you too Rubes”

“I’m fine”

“Really? Because I know you haven’t spoken about what happened with Xavier”

Ruby bit her lip “Actually”

“What?” Charlie asked

“Please don’t be angry”

“Start off with something like that, that’s a good way to keep me calm” Charlie replied sarcastically

“I told Romeo, Nicole and Indi”

Charlie’s eyes widened “The truth?”

Ruby nodded “Your angry aren’t you? Charlie, I’m sorry, I just, I was talking and it felt right. It felt the right time to tell them everything and I trust them. They’ve been so great to me after Xavier blurted everything out and I, I couldn’t not tell them”

Charlie smiled “I told Leah and Roman. It took me three hours to get to sleep and I’ve been up since five thinking about you and what this would do to you”

“Me? Why? I’m fine” Ruby replied

“I didn’t talk to you about any of this, I just told them with no regards on your feelings on this” Charlie said as she took Ruby’s hand in hers

“Charlie, you told Leah and Roman, they’re your friends you trust them. I told Romeo, Indi and Nicole because they’re my friends and I trust them. It felt right and I don’t think we can be angry with each other for that”

“I’m glad you have been able to tell them” Charlie smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek

“What’s that for?” Ruby asked as she saw the lone tear rolls off Charlie’s face

“I never thought I’d be able to open up to people about what happened” Charlie began “Ever. I thought I would have to fight seeing the same thing over and over, by myself. I’ve never had that chance of knowing that there was someone who I could open up to and trust with all of this” Charlie wiped the second tear from her face “I thought I’d be alone”

“But you’re not” Ruby said as she took both of Charlie’s hands in her own “You have me, I’m not going anywhere, I promise you that. And there’s Angelo who loves you, he’ll never leave, he’ll be with you until the end. As will I” Ruby smiled.

Angelo walked into the office to be greeted by the dorky smiles of Georgina and Avary

“You two got wind?” Angelo laughed as he placed the file on the desk

“Funny” Avary replied

“No,. How did Charlie take the news?” Georgina asked excitedly

“I don’t know. When I got to her house she was in bed. Roman and I spoke until ten last night”

“You and Roman talked?” Georgina asked to which Angelo nodded “And you haven’t killed each other? Wow, seems like Charlie isn’t the only one making progress”

“Funny” Angelo replied as he cocked his head “I’ll erm, I’ll tell Charlie tonight”

“Something special happening tonight?” Avary asked

“I told her I’d organised a date for us on the beach. Speaking of that, I’d better start getting things ready”

“Angelo. Take the file with you” Georgina said as she handed Angelo the file when he headed to the door. “And, don’t worry, you aren’t actually down for working today”

“Great. Ok, I’ll see you on Monday then” Angelo smiled as he took the file from Georgina

Walking to school with a smile on her face, Ruby felt great. The happiest she had been for a long time. Ruby stopped at the beach and looked out to the water. Everything seemed to becoming together for Ruby and her family.

“Hey” Nicole smiled as she walked over to where Ruby was stood

“Hey” Ruby smiled

“That’s nice to see”

“What is?” Ruby asked

“That smile on your face. I haven’t see that for a long time”

“I guess I’ve just had this thing hanging over my head for so long that, the release of it has just been great. Thank you so much for listening Nic, I really appreciate it” Ruby replied as she hugged Nicole

“Its alright. I just wish you came to me sooner. I could have help you”

“I know. I just, I needed some time to myself and think about how I was. I don’t think I would have listened anyway” Ruby smiled. “Does that mean Roman has spoken to you?” Ruby asked as she and Nicole pulled apart

“We spoke, but not about this” Nicole replied “Why?”

“Charlie told Leah and Roman the same time I told you guys. I just thought maybe you’d all be talking about it. I don’t mean in a bad way, I mean, I don’t actually know what I mean” Ruby laughed

“I think they’re in shock. Dad was with Charlie for a long time and she never told him. And Leah? Well, Charlie and Leah are so close, they tell each other everything”

“Who tells each other everything?” Dex asked as he -along with the rest of the gang- approached Nicole and Ruby

“Charlie and Leah telling each other everything” Ruby replied

“Hey” Romeo said to Ruby

“Hey” Ruby replied to which Indi and Xavier smiled

“Hay is what horses eat, and as I am not a horse, but am hungry, may I suggest we go to the diner for something to eat?” Dex replied

“Really? Food? After what we just ate at home?” Indi asked

“Of course. I’m a growing boy, I need my strength”

“I’m not hungry, I might just head off to school” Ruby said as she looked to Dex

“Ok, bye” Dex replied as he waved and headed toward the diner.

Xavier followed leaving Indi, Romeo and Nicole with Ruby.

“You can go you know guys” Ruby smiled

“Marilyn made us vegan pancakes for breakfast and I ate three, so I’m all full” Indi replied

“Vegan pancakes. How can they be made?” Romeo asked

“I have no idea, but this is Marilyn who made them so, I guess she knew what she was doing”

“How are things with Marilyn and Sid?” Ruby asked as the teens began to walk away from the beach

“Serious. Marilyn is practically living with us as it is so, they may as well just move in together”

“And you and Dex are ok with that?” Ruby asked

“I guess. Well, Dad and Marilyn have been together for a while now and Marilyn does actually like Dex and me, so that’s a good sign. But, I don’t know, I can’t seem to see the four of us living together. Its really weird”

“I don’t think it is, your just looking out for your dad. But, having lived with Marilyn for the last year and a bit, she’s one of the nicest house-sharers you could have” Romeo replied

“I don’t know. I guess a part of me likes it just been me, dad and Dex”

“Understandable, but if Marilyn and your dad love each other and Marilyn gets on well with you and Dex, maybe that’s enough to tell you that it’s a good idea” Ruby said to Indi

The day seemed to drag.

Irene, Colleen, Roman and Leah were busy running around in the diner, not having long to stand and chat like they were used to.

VJ was bored at school, the only good thing about school was Charlie dropping him off and VJ telling his friends about the arcade yesterday afternoon.

Ruby, Indi, Nicole, Dex, Xavier and Romeo were all bored with listening to the deputy head teacher saying how he felt the school had slipped down with the amount of unexplained absences.

Gina and Miles sat beside the deputy head, looking just as bored as the students.

Angelo was running around every shop gathering everything for his date with Charlie that night, when he bumped into Ross and Morag.

“Angelo” Ross smiled

“Ross, Morag” Angelo replied as he walked over to the couple

“Where’s Charlie?” Ross asked as he looked around

“She’s at home” Angelo replied

“There’s nothing wrong is there Angelo?” Morag asked as she saw the look on Angelo’s face

“No, oh god no nothings wrong, its just. Well, you know the court date has been moved to Thursday” Morag and Ross nodded “Well, I haven’t told Charlie yet. I was going to last night but she was asleep and so I was going to tell her tonight whilst we were on our date. I have the file with me to show her” Angelo finished

“What else was found?” Ross asked

“Charlie and I stumbled across a drug smuggling operation, that was why Charlie was attacked when we were at the warehouse”

“And now there is enough to keep these people away from my daughter?” Ross asked

“Yes. For a long time”

Ross smiled with ease. “And this date. Charlie is looking forward to that?”

“I’m not sure. I had to think on my feet and say to her it was a date because I didn’t want her to know what Georgina and Avary had found. And I haven’t really seen Charlie since then. She was smiling when I told her what I was going to do though”

“Ok” Morag replied. “Just a suggestion here but; you have the day off today and Charlie is sitting at home, bored stupid”

“And?” Angelo asked

“Do you really want me to tell you?” Morag asked

“Oh” Angelo replied once the penny had dropped in his head.

“See you later” Angelo said to Morag and to Ross before heading back to the car.

“I’m glad Charlie has Angelo” Ross smiled “She could have done with him when she was fifteen”

Danni: Thank you so much for all the help you've given xx

Thank you everyone for commenting. I love reading them and it mean so much to me :):wub:

Hope this one is ok, I really can't write mushy lovey dovey stuff, so if the date sucks, I'm really sorry.

Chapter 103

Morag and Ross walked through the door of Leah’s. Immediately they were made to feel very welcome. Roman offered them drinks, VJ brought biscuits for them and Leah was just making some tea for them all to munch on.

“So, how are you Ross?” Roman asked as he sat opposite Ross and Morag

“I’m fine. Considering” Ross replied as he looked to Roman

“Yea, I was just..” Roman began, but stopped when he realised he and Ross may never get along. Ever.

“Considering my daughter has this court hanging over her head” Ross added upon seeing Roman’s change in body language. “If this was over and done with, I know she’ll be back to her old self”

“She’s on her way back there now. Charlie’s happier and a lot more confident with herself now” Roman replied

“I know that, but, it still doesn’t change anything” Ross said

Roman cleared his throat. Leah walked back into the room and sat beside Roman. VJ had made himself scarce after putting the biscuits down on the table.

“Erm, Charlie told us what happened” Roman began. Ross and Morag looked to Roman then to Leah “When she was younger”

“She did, did she?” Ross asked

“Yes” Roman replied

“But, it doesn’t change anything Ross, Charlie and Ruby will always be Charlie and Ruby to us. Charlie is one of my very best friends, that will never change”

Ross smiled with a tear glaze in his eyes. “Thank you”

Leah and Ross shared a smile.

“So, there isn’t any developments with the case?” Roman asked

“Well,” Morag began “Is Charlie here?” Morag asked as she looked around

“No, she went to, I don’t know where exactly, but she’s with Ruby” Leah replied

“oh, right, Good.” Morag replied “Erm, Georgina and Avary have been working on the case, adding things to it and investigating more into what happened the day of the accident” Morag continued

“And so far you have..?” Roman asked

“Enough” Morag added

“To keep them away from Charlie?” Roman asked to which Morag and Ross both nodded “That’s great”

“Sorry I can’t tell you anymore, but, until Charlie knows, I don’t want anyone else knowing” Morag explained

“We understand.” Leah replied

“So, Angelo. Does he know?” Roman asked

“Yes, he is actually supposed to be telling her” Ross replied

Standing outside a clothes shop, Charlie and Ruby looked at the pale blue floor length dress that stared them in the face.

“Its gorgeous. I love it” Ruby smiled as she placed her hands on the window

“You have the money don’t you. Why don’t you buy it?” Charlie asked after having a small laugh at Ruby’s reaction to the dress

“I can’t get it can I? I mean, I have nothing to wear it for” Ruby replied as she kept her eyes fixed firmly on the dress

“What about wearing it for a date?” Charlie suggested

“A date? Me? With who?” Ruby replied as she turned to face Charlie

“Xavier. Or have you two still not got passed that awkward stage yet?” Charlie asked as Ruby leant against the wall beside the shop

Ruby bit her lip and sighed. “I really don’t know.” Ruby shook her head “I look at him, and I can see us together and I can see how great we could be. But then there’s this other side of me that can’t forgive him for what he did, I understand why he did what he did, but it doesn’t make that ok. I want to forgive him, but I don’t think I’m ready to” Ruby looked to Charlie “I trust him, and I know that he is there for me, and I love that. But, at the same time, is he only saying that he’s there for me out of guilt?”

“Rubes, I don’t think Xavier will ever forgive himself for doing what he did, I can understand why he told, it’s a lot to keep to yourself, it’s a shock to hear something like that. But, if he’s said that he’s going to be there for you, then I’m sure he means it” Charlie smiled

“I think he does. I mean, I can see it in his eyes. I can see how much he means it”

“So what’s the problem?” Charlie asked

Ruby shook her head once more. “I really don’t know. And, I don’t want to decide anything before I know where we stand”

“That sounds like a good idea” Charlie smiled

“So, anyway" Ruby started, changing the subjsect from her and Xavier. "Tonight’s the big date night” Ruby smiled “You must be excited”

Charlie smiled shyly “It’s a date, nothing more”

“Charlie, come on” Ruby replied as she cocked her head

“What?” Charlie smiled

“You and Angelo have flirted since day one two years ago. This is the one night you have been on about since ages ago”

“That’s a great argument there Rubes” Charlie smiled

“So you really aren’t looking forward to it?”

“I am and I aren’t. I’ve wanted this, Angelo, the whole dating thing since I really don’t know when, but, at the same time, I wish I wasn’t like this” Charlie replied as she placed her hand on her leg.

“Charlie” Ruby said as she took Charlie’s hands. “Angelo has been there every step of the way. He’s seen you at your low points and at your high points. He loves you Charlie, pins, scars, bars and all”

Charlie smiled through her tears. “Enjoy tonight and forget all about your leg and the court date. Tonight is about you and Angelo”

Charlie sniffed as she nodded. “One night where I don’t think about this” Charlie said as she pointed to her leg “I’ll try”

“You’ll try and you’ll succeed” Ruby smiled

“So you really are ok with me and Angelo going on this date tonight?”

“Yea course. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Because, it seems like you and I haven’t spent much time together since I got out of hospital. I spend yesterday with VJ whilst you were at school, how is that fair?”

“VJ really missed you when you were in hospital, every time he saw me he would ask how you were. I saw you everyday, VJ needed that day with you”

“That’s not what I mean and you know it” Charlie replied

“I know. I’m still trying to figure this all out, I know how I fit in this family, and I can talk about it, but..”

“it’s the thought” Charlie finished

“I don’t blame you for what happened. I don’t blame Ross or Elsie either. Or Aunty Michelle, although, it would have been nice to have found this out with out you nearly dying” Ruby began “I can understand why you, Ross and Elsie all decided that adopting me as your sister was the best decision, because it was. I don’t think I could have done it, so I guess I have taken that comfort into consideration”

“Ruby?” Charlie said to Ruby as Ruby bowed her head “I’ve always loved you as my daughter”

Ruby looked into Charlie’s eyes and smiled. “And I still love you as my daughter, that will never change. I‘ll always be the same Charlie, only slightly different”

Ruby laughed “That made sense” Ruby looked to Charlie and smiled “I love you too Charlie”

Charlie smiled to Ruby. Her heart skipped a beat when Ruby said that to her.

Pulling Ruby close to her, Charlie wrapped her arms around Ruby and hugged her tight.

Later that evening

Angelo knocked on the door, ready to take Charlie out on their first official date. He took a deep breath, trying to clear his nerves for the evening, the bunch of roses shaking lightly in his hand. As the door opened and Angelo saw Charlie standing at the other side, a smile swept across his face. “Charlie, you look gorgeous” Angelo said as he took a step forward and placed a quick kiss on her cheek.

“You don’t scrub up so bad yourself” Charlie smiled as she accepted the flowers from Angelo. “Thanks, they’re lovely” Charlie said as she placed the flowers down on the table and walked over the cupboard, taking out a vase, before proceeding to fill it with water.

Angelo was leading Charlie along the beach, to the area that he had prepared for their date. It was quiet, except for the gentle sounds of the waves lapping against the shore.

The flames from the lanterns blew as the wind form the ocean swept gently over the beach. The sight took Charlie’s breath away: rose petals marking the way to the blanket that was also laid with rose petals. The wine cooler had a bottle in with a cloth draped over to aid in pouring, two champagne flutes stood either side of the cooler; waiting to be drunk out off.

“Angelo” Charlie gasped happily “This is, its, its amazing” Charlie smiled as she turned to face Angelo “You really didn't need to go to all that trouble"

"It wasn’t any trouble" Angelo said as he wrapped his arm around Charlie's waist "Besides you'd be worth it"

Charlie stood and stared into Angelo’s deep, brown, loving eyes. She felt so safe and so secure with him, and for a moment, she forgot that she was injured.

“What’s wrong?” Angelo asked as a lone tear fell from her eye

“Nothing” Charlie replied with a smile “I just, I never thought this could happen. Ever”

“Charlie, I’ve always wanted this, ever since I first got posted on a job with you, I’ve wanted this. This is my dream come true, and I want it to be me who is there when your’s comes true” Angelo smiled as she took hold of Charlie’s hands “I’m here Charlie, now, tomorrow, forever. I’ll be with you until the end. Its all I’ve ever wanted”

Placing a small kiss on Angelo’s lips, Charlie began the task of sitting herself down. Although she was pretty good at sitting, it was usually on a seat that was a few inches higher than the blanket.

“Here” Angelo smiled “Let me help” Angelo added as he took the crutch from Charlie and lay it on the sand. He then took Charlie’s hands and helped to ease her to the ground.

“I’m down” Charlie smiled as she looked up to Angelo.

Angelo laughed slightly as he lowered himself to the blanket. He reached over to the wine cooler and took the bottle from it. He then began to pour himself and Charlie a glass. Handing it too Charlie, he took a sip from his own glass

“Erm” Charlie began

“Its fizzy apple. I know how you get when you have a glass or two. And been on crutches, you’re more likely to cause harm to yourself or me” Angelo replied

“Cheeky” Charlie laughed as she took the glass from Angelo and hit him on the arm with her other hand.

Ruby sat herself down on the couch at Miles’ place. She -along with Romeo, Indi, Dex, Xavier and Nicole- were just getting ready to watch a horror film with Miles and Alf. Popcorn was out on the table with drinks just behind the box.

“So, what is this about?” Miles asked as he grabbed a handful of popcorn

“Two men who are attacked by some wolf and they die, and then come back as zombies to get revenge on people who were mean to them when they were alive” Dex replied as he looked at the DVD case with such big eyes

“Let me guess, you chose the film?” Nicole asked as she put some tortilla chips on the table along side the dips

“I did. And it’s a classic” Dex replied, almost as though he was defending the film

“Zombies and wolves? And that’s a classic?” Ruby asked

“Yes, qualities you, my dear friend, are not acquainted with” Dex replied “What was the last film you saw?”

“It was about a girl and a guy who fell in love with each other after getting locked in a storeroom at their work..”

“Stop right there before I see my dinner again. Too much mush in there for me. Romantics don’t do it for me”

“And you wonder why you are single?” Indi smiled

The movie started and Dex was the only one who was watching with such attention. Indi and Romeo were too busy holding hands and looking at each other to bother watching, Alf was reading a fishing magazine, Miles had fallen asleep with popcorn covering his shirt and Nicole and Ruby were having their own little private conversation in the kitchen.

“So they’re on the date now?” Nicole asked

“Yea. Poor Charlie, she’s so undecided about everything”

“Why? I thought she wanted this? Or at least, that’s what her body language has been saying”

“Body language?” Ruby repeated

“You know, what their bodies tell you about their feelings”

“No, I know what body language is, but, what has Charlie shown?”

Nicole rolled her eyes and rose to her feet. “Well, when Charlie is with you or with Leah, she stands, like this” Nicole stood mimicking what Charlie looked like. Nicole balanced slightly on her left leg and used the sweeping brush as the crutch. Nicole then relaxed as she stood. “And then when Angelo is around, she’s like this” Nicole changes the way she stands to show Ruby that, although the change is subtle, its very obvious what it means

“Oh my gosh. I had no idea” Ruby replied

“You are happy for Charlie aren’t you?” Nicole asked

“Yea, of course I am”

“That didn’t sound very convincing Rues” Nicole smiled

“No, I am, I’m happy for her, its great that she has Angelo to lean on and love her”

“So he has said that he loves her?” Ruby nodded “Has Charlie told Angelo?”

“Not sure. But if she hasn’t, I want to know why” Ruby smiled

“Sorry to interrupt your little girly chat, but, at this moment in time, the life force from Matty is been sucked out by the zombie Johnny. So could you, you know, shut up?” Dex said as he looked to Nicole and then to Ruby

“Geez” Nicole smiled

Dex nodded happily to himself before turning around an facing the glowing TV screen.

“We’ll talk in my room” Nicole said to Ruby as she rose to her feet.

“Where are you two going?” Xavier asked as he walked down the stairs

“Dex won’t let anything interrupt the film so we’re going to talk in my room” Nicole replied

“Oh right. Is the film still on?” Xavier asked

“Yea” Ruby replied “Hey, where exactly have you been? You went to the bathroom like, half an hour ago”

“Urgh, I hope you sprayed” Nicole replied

“I haven’t been in the bathroom. I was killing time. I’ve seen this movie already, there’s an two hours of my life I’ll never get back”

“You can come and join us if you like. Although, we will be talking about girl stuff” Ruby said

“I’d rather be a girl for a while than watch that film again. No offence to Dex”

Nicole and Ruby laughed as all three made their way up the stairs to Nicole’s bedroom.

Angelo brought his hand slowly down Charlie’s arm, all the while their kiss becoming more passion filled. As his hand made its way down the side of her petite body and headed toward her leg, Charlie pulled away. Angelo pulled his hand back as soon as his and Charlie’s lips parted. Grabbing what she could of her dress, Charlie tried to pull it over her leg

“Charlie, what’s wrong?” Angelo asked worryingly as he saw how desperate Charlie was to hide her leg

“I have to go” Charlie cried as she grabbed her crutch “I’m sorry”

“Charlie, wait, no, I’m sorry, I just thought… I was only…”

Charlie shook her head as she rose to her feet “I can’t” Charlie sobbed before heading to the path way

Angelo watched on, broken and on the verge of tears.

Charlie continued to walk toward the top of the beach. Trying desperately to cover her leg and to wipe her face from the streams of tears that had fallen from her eyes.

“Charlie wait! Angelo shouted as he caught up to Charlie

Charlie turned to face him. Her body shaking. “You’re shaking” Angelo commented as he hand his hands on Charlie’s bare arms. “Here” Angelo said as he took his jacket off and placed it over Charlie’s shoulders. “Charlie” Angelo began as he placed his hand under Charlie’s chin and pushed her head up “I love you Charlie. And I never meant to hurt you. I love everything about you, nothing will ever change that” Angelo smiled as he looked into Charlie’s watery eyes. A small smile appeared on Charlie’s face “I’ve wanted this for so long Charlie, everything tonight has been better then I thought it could ever have been” Angelo added as he wiped the tears from Charlie’s cheeks. Charlie closed her eyes as he thumbs made contact with her skin.

“I’m sorry” Charlie replied, her voice barely audible

“You have nothing to be sorry about Charlie” Angelo replied as he kissed Charlie on her cheek. Charlie opened her eyes and looked deep into Angelo’s. “I love you Charlie” Charlie smiled as she heard the words. Leaning into Angelo, Charlie placed a kiss on Angelo’s lips. Pulling away and looking into each others eyes once more, Charlie let Angelo’s jacket fall from her shoulders and them moved closer once more, embracing each other as they kissed passionately.

Danni: again, thank you for your help :)

And thank you SO much Charis, Carina, RachloveH&A, Sam, Scotcazz, Sarah for commenting :) means so much to me :)

Kind of a :blink: chapter, but after this its the case so......

Chapter 104

The following morning

Charlie woke to find herself pinned to her mattress by an extra hand. She ran her hands through her hair as she looked to the floor by the door and saw the trail of rose petals and clothes leading toward the bed. Her bra and a pair of boxer shorts lay next to each other at the foot of the bed. Charlie's eyes widened.

Looking to her right, she saw the face of the man laying

Next to her snoring loudly. "Angelo" Charlie whispered in shock. Panicking, Charlie reached over to the chair that was beside the cabinet and grabbed her robe. She then eased slowly out from Angelo's grip. He rolled over and continued to snore as Charlie slowly made her way out of her bedroom.

After what seemed an hour or two, Charlie found herself still thinking about what she had woken up to.

"Morning" Ruby smiled as she walked into the kitchen

"Morning" Charlie replied

"So, how did last night go?" Ruby asked. Charlie was just about to reply when Angelo walked into the kitchen wearing only his boxers and scratching his head. Charlie closed her eyes in shame and Ruby opened her mouth and tried desperately not to squeal with happiness.

Angelo looked to Charlie and then to Ruby. He could feel the awkwardness in the air. “Erm, I think that’s my phone” Angelo spoke as he put his head toward the doorway “I’ll just go check” Angelo added before running back to Charlie’s room

Ruby looked to Charlie and smiled “Guess that answers that question”

“Shut up” Charlie replied

“What?” Ruby asked “You’re not regretting anything are you?” Ruby added as she noticed the look on Charlie’s face

“No, I don’t regret it Rubes, I don’t think. Look, I don’t know. I’m confused about all of this”

“What’s to be confused about? Angelo loves you, you love Angelo, this was going to happen” Ruby replied

“That’s the thing” Charlie began “I never thought this would happen. Not with Angelo, and definitely not with this” Charlie continued as she pointed to her leg

“Charles, Angelo has proved to you and shown you that he doesn’t care about that. He loves you for you. Come on, for the last two years he’s had puppy dog eyes for you”

“I know, its just. I can’t help what I think” Charlie replied

“Well, can’t you just stop thinking?” Ruby asked, to which Charlie simply raised her eyebrow “I heard it” Ruby smiled “But, can I just say this; you might not be able to tell me how you fell about what happened, but your face does tell me” Ruby smiled before rising to her feet, kissing Charlie on her forehead and walking out of the door.

Charlie watched the door for a few seconds after Ruby left.

If her facial expression was showing one thing -the truth- and she was saying another and feeling another, how could Charlie figure out what she wanted? And if Angelo was the one she wanted?

“Is it safe?” Angelo asked as he stood next to the fridge

“Erm, yea. Ruby just left” Charlie replied

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know she’d be up. If I did know, I’d have stayed in the room” Angelo smiled as he walked toward Charlie

“Its fine” Charlie replied

Angelo frowned as he pulled the chair out from under the table. “You ok?”

“Fine” Charlie smiled

“Are you having second thoughts about last night?” Angelo asked

Charlie quickly looked to Angelo. “No. No regrets. The night was perfect, you went to so much trouble”

“I meant what I said. You’re worth it” Angelo smiled as he took Charlie’s hand in his.

Charlie looked down to her leg. “I’m sorry about how I reacted”

“Charlie, forget about it. I…..” Angelo began but Charlie butted in

“No, its not. You have no idea how annoyed I am with myself because of myself”

Angelo frowned “You know that didn’t make sense?”

“I’m annoyed with myself because I’m letting this win me. I know that I shouldn’t, but I can’t help it. Every time I look at my leg, I think that everyone else is looking at it too. The scars are horrible, I hate the bars and pins. Its so uncomfortable. I’m just annoyed with myself” Angelo smiled at Charlie which turned into a slight laugh “Its not funny. And it doesn’t help that I have no idea how things are going”

Angelo pulled his hand away from Charlie. “About that”

Charlie looked worried “What?” Angelo didn’t say anything

“Angelo please, you’re scaring me”

Angelo looked to Charlie. “ Georgina and Avary have been working on the case”

“And?” Charlie asked

“And, you are lucky to be alive”

“What?” Charlie asked, shocked and slightly scared by what Angelo had just told her

“Remember that day we got the car stuck and we walked to the warehouse?” Charlie nodded “Well, in those statues were class A drugs. We stumbled across the plant where they stash the drugs away ready for transportation”

“And when they hit me over the head and punched you” Charlie swallowed hard “They were trying to keep us quiet”

“Yea” Angelo nodded “Please, don’t be worried or scared about any of this. I’m here for you and we’ll have them in jail where they belong soon” Angelo added as he took Charlie’s hands in his own

A lone tear rolled down Charlie’s face. Angelo took one hand away from Charlie’s hands and wiped the tear from her face. Charlie closed her eyes as his hand made contact. “When is the court hearing?” Charlie asked as she slowly opened her eyes and looked to Angelo.

Angelo smiled “I wanted to tell you the other night but you were in bed. Then I was going to tell you last night but, it didn’t feel like the right time”

“Angelo, please. Just tell me” Charlie asked

“Thursday” Angelo smiled

Charlie looked at Angelo, her mouth open in shock. “This Thursday?” Charlie asked to which Angelo replied by nodding his head. Charlie shook her head and slowly rose to her feet. Angelo looked at Charlie confused as she grabbed her crutch and headed toward the door.

“Charlie?” Angelo asked as he rose to his feet and went after Charlie. He took her hand, causing Charlie to turn her body. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing” Charlie replied

“Charlie” Angelo replied, not convinced with Charlie’s reply

“Angelo” Charlie said

“Please?” Angelo asked as he placed his hands around Charlie’s waist.

Charlie sighed, as she pulled away from Angelo. Angelo watched Charlie carefully as she steadily made her way into the front room. She and Angelo were still alone; no one had awoken yet except for Ruby and she had left a few minutes before. “I thought I wouldn’t have to see them again. At least, not this quick”

A lone tear rolled down Charlie face. Angelo watched as it rolled of her chin. He wasn’t sure if it was the only tear that would fall or if it was the first of many.

“Charlie” Angelo quietly spoke as Charlie lowered herself onto the couch.

Charlie wiped her face “Thursday?”

Angelo nodded “Yea”

“Sooner than I thought” Charlie replied as she wiped the second tear that fell from her eye.

“Hey, you don’t have to worry about anything. I’ll be right beside you through the whole hearing. I won’t leave your side” Angelo said as he sat beside Charlie and took her hands.

“I know you will” Charlie smiled “Its, what if, I don’t want this to set me back”

“Charlie, this wont set you back. Nothing can set you back. You’ve been through so much since the accident and you’ve got this far. This court hearing will be the first part of the last leg of your recovery” Angelo smiled “No pun intended”

Charlie couldn’t help but smile at that last part of what Angelo had said. “The beginning of the end”

“Yea. The beginning of the end” Charlie smiled

Angelo ran his finger over Charlie’s smile. He smiled also when he looked into her eyes. Leaning closer to Charlie, Angelo kissed her softly on her lips. Pulling away from one another, their smiles were still prevalent.

“Angelo?” Charlie spoke

“Yea?” Angelo replied

“Can I tell you something?” Charlie asked

“Sure, anything” Angelo replied

“A few months ago, I, saw myself a few years in the future. I saw myself living my life and getting on with it, not having to worry about my leg or any of the aftermath. I saw myself happy and on the beach with Ruby and having a fun time”

“That sounds great Charlie” Angelo smiled

Charlie smiled “Yea. But I also saw myself with my boyfriend or partner, but I never saw their face”

“Oh” Angelo replied

“It was you Angelo. You are that boyfriend, you are the one who has made me have that smiled on my face that I saw, it was you that has helped me get through everything so that I could get to that stage. And, right now, I feel that, I can touch that dream. Its corny and just so cheesy, but, everything has fallen into place for me, and that’s because of you”

Ruby walked into the diner with a huge grin on her face. Colleen commented to Ruby about how ridiculous she looked, but Ruby shrugged the comment away: she was too happy for Charlie to care what she looked like.

“Have you any idea how stupid you actually look?” Nicole smiled as Ruby walked over to the table where she was sat

“I do and I don’t care. Charlie and Angelo’s date went really well. So well in fact that Angelo stayed the night”

“Wow” Nicole smiled

“That’s what I was like this morning. But, I think she’s freaking out a little” Ruby replied

“Why? I thought you said they had both wanted this for so long”

“They have, but I think Charlie is letting her leg and all the scars and pins and bars get the better of her”

“Angelo doesn’t care about that. Charlie has actually seen the way Angelo looks at her right?”

“No, Angelo doesn’t care about that. He also doesn’t care about the fact that Charlie has actually got a teenage daughter” Ruby replied

“So what’s the problem?” Nicole asked

Ruby shook her head “I think its different things. On Friday Charlie and I went shopping and she a little apprehensive about going on the date. Its her leg that’s really bothering her. I think if the pins, bars and scars weren’t there, she’d be ok”

“Well, that is understandable. I remember when I broke my nose, all everyone did for four days straight was comment on my nose and tease me and saying I was great in The Silence Of The Lambs” Nicole replied

Ruby laughed “Yea, I can understand that, but, Angelo has shown Charlie so many times that he doesn’t see that stuff, all her sees is her”

“It takes a while for someone to believe something, especially when the person is so sure that what they think is the absolute truth” Nicole replied

“I take it that’s a reference to me and how I reacted to Charlie been my mother” Ruby asked

“Not at all” Nicole replied sarcastically.

“Thanks” Ruby smiled

“Look, my point is, when you found out Charlie was your mum, you didn’t want to believe it did you?” Ruby nodded “Because it seemed too unreal and not fair on you. Well, this is the same thing. Charlie never asked to have the boat pushed on top of her, she never asked to be injured, and yet she was.”

“So you’re saying, once the shock dies down, Charlie will be able to allow Angelo close to her without freaking out?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying” Nicole smiled

“Well I hope Angelo can wait another year” Ruby replied

“Ruby” Nicole replied as she gently hit Ruby on her arm

“What? I’m only saying a year because that’ll probably when the court hearing is”

“So they haven’t been able to move it up?” Nicole asked

“No. So I guess that’s another reason for Charlie. I just wish that the case could be over and done with so Charlie can actually get back to been Charlie”

“Look, I’m sure Charlie will be back to her old self as soon as this court hearing is over. You’ve just got to be patient”

“Me patient? Yea, because I’m a patient person” Ruby smiled

That afternoon

Charlie sat on the spot on the beach where her and Angelo’s date had been the night before. The marks in the sand from the lanterns were still there, as were some of the many rose petals that were spread out over the blanket and along some of the beach. She watched as people ran in and out of the water. Smiling happily as the waves washed around their feet. A smile appeared on her face as thought about how the date had gone and how she had finally been able to see that dream of hers for the first time.

“Charlie” Rachel shouted as she looked on to the beach

“Hey Rach” Charlie replied as Rachel walked toward Charlie

“You ok?” Rachel asked as she sat herself beside Charlie

“Yea, fine” Charlie replied

“I heard about the date. Ruby can’t stop smiling about it”

“Ruby can’t stop smiling? I thought it was my date” Charlie laughed

“She’s happy for you Charlie. We all are” Rachel smiled

“It was perfect. He was perfect” Charlie smiled as she hugged herself, holding onto the memory of the previous night “It felt so right, he made me feel like I was the only woman in the world. Everything was perfect”

“Well, I think I have something to tell you that could keep that smile on your face for a little while longer” Rachel smiled

“What?” Charlie asked as she looked to Rachel

“Doctors think they can remove one of the three bars that are still in your leg”

Charlie looked to Rachel with a look of happy shock. “Really?”

“Really. They’ve looked over the x-rays we got just before you were discharged, and seen as though you only have one crutch now, its looking like all three will be out in the next two months. But don’t hold that to me” Rachel replied

“Everything is going to be alright isn’t it” Charlie said to Rachel as she looked out to the water

“Yea. Yea it is” Rachel replied

“Can you help me up?” Charlie asked Rachel as she turned back to face Rachel “I’ve mastered sitting on the beach its just standing I can’t do”

“Yea sure” Rachel laughed as she rose to her feet.

Brushing her hands on her dress, Rachel held then out for Charlie to grab onto. Charlie took Rachel’s hands and pulled herself up.

“So, where’s Angelo?” Rachel asked as she handed Charlie her crutch

“He’s at the station. Making sure everything is ready for the court hearing” Charlie replied as she and Rachel made their way up to the diner

“How is the case file going?” Rachel asked

“I haven’t told you have I?” Rachel shook her head “Georgie and Avary have managed to move it to Thursday”

“This Thursday?” Rachel asked

Charlie nodded “Yea. Then finally I can start focusing on the future with Ruby and Angelo”

“I think you may have started that future already” Rachel smiled “If last night is anything to go by”

“I have no idea what you mean” Charlie smiled as she and Rachel entered the diner.

Ok, thank you all SO much for the :wub: comments! :)

Danni: thanks again :) lol

Only a little one here, let me know what you think! :)

Chapter 105

Sitting on the bench, Charlie felt like she was back in the headmasters office, about to be told off. Her palms were sweaty, her heart was pounding and she felt sick to her stomach. She saw the seats that would seat the jury, she saw the stand where they would stand as they were questioned, she saw where the judge would sit whilst listening to the evidence.

Looking down at her hands that trembled with fear, she wished she could leave and forget everything. But she knew if she did, then she wouldn’t get the satisfaction of knowing that the people who did this to her, were found guilty and put somewhere where they belonged.

“You ok?” Miles asked as he sat behind Charlie and placed his hand on her shoulder as a sign of comfort

“No. Not really” Charlie replied, shocking herself with the honesty that came from her mouth

“Well, don’t worry. We’re all here for you” Miles replied as he squeezed Charlie’s shoulders

“Thanks” Charlie smiled as she looked to Miles

“No worries”

Miles saw that Roman, Leah, Colleen and Irene had walked through the door. He left Charlie sitting on her own and walked over to the group. He looked behind him -along with Roman, Leah, Irene and Colleen- and saw how scared Charlie looked.

“How is she coping?” Colleen asked

“Not too well. I don’t think she wants to be here” Miles replied

“Well can you blame her? Poor girl, after everything she has been through in her recovery and now having to face the people who did this? I’m surprised she hasn’t run out of here” Irene replied as she looked to Charlie with a sympathetic face.

“Morag, Ross” Roman said as he saw them walk into the room.

“Roman” Ross replied as he shook his hand

“Hello” Miles smiled, to which Ross smiled back and shook his hand too.

“How are you two?” Leah asked as she looked to Ross then to Morag

“Better then what Charlie is” Morag replied as she looked over to where her step-daughter was sitting

“I’ll go sit with her” Irene said as she began to make her way to Charlie.

Irene walked along the row until she was next to Charlie. Charlie said nothing, only looked to her with loss in her eyes. Irene smiled softly to her before sitting next to her on the bench. Saying nothing, Irene took Charlie’s hand and squeezed it. Charlie looked at her and Irene’s hands before looking to Irene. Smiling with thanks, a tear escaped Charlie’s eyes. Irene brought her arms around Charlie and pulled her into a hug.

Charlie and Irene pulled away from each other just as Morag and Ross tentatively walked over to where Charlie and Irene were.

“Hi darling” Ross smiled

“Dad” Charlie replied with a cry. She instantly went to her father for a hug. She nestled into him close for comfort.

“It’ll soon be over” Ross whispered in Charlie’s ear. Charlie said nothing, she nodded in agreement, but the tears she cried stopped her from speaking.

Nicole, Xavier and Romeo walked into the room with Ruby beside them. Ruby hadn’t walked in with Charlie as Charlie had kept herself to herself. A bad idea in Ruby’s eyes as she felt Charlie would need all her friends and family around her at a time like this.

“Hey, how is she?” Ruby asked as she stood with Irene and Leah and looked over to Charlie who had now pulled away from Ross

“She’s quiet and shaky” Irene replied “The sooner this is over the better”

“How are you with all this?” Leah asked as she rubbed Ruby’s arm

“Me? I’m fine. Its Charlie I’m worried about” Ruby replied as she looked to Leah then to Charlie who had sat herself back down o the bench and once again, looking like a lost child.

The door at the back of the judges box opened. Dressed in a black cloak, Judge Judith Andrews stepped out and into the box. The door next to the jury seats opened and the jurors made their way to their seats. Each one looking directly at Charlie, who quickly looked back down at her hands. Some of the woman on the jury already had compassion for Charlie, and that was just based on a first look.

An officer walked to a third door, Ruby quickly -and without thinking- placed her hand on Charlie’s shoulder and squeezed it gently. Charlie smiled and placed her hand on top of Ruby’s as they were led into the room.

“Bobby Cooper. Clyde Cooper and Yasmin Blake. You are on trial for the distributing of class A drug cocaine and selling Marijuana. Also with these charges is the brutal attack on Charlie Buckton and Angelo Rosetta and the attempted murder of Charlie Buckton.” The judge said as they were stood in front of her. Charlie shuddered when she heard their names been mentioned. She couldn’t even look up at who was in the room, she continued to look at her hands. “Mr. Gray, you may proceed”

Yasmin, Clyde and Bobby were taken by the officers to some seats that were opposite Charlie. Ruby’s hand instantly went to Charlie’s shoulder once more, Charlie was looking at her attackers, something that shouldn’t have to be done, it wasn’t fair.

Mr. Gray rose to his feet as he cleared his throat. He fiddled with the buttons on his jacket as he tried to fasten them up. He walked around to the front of his table and went to stand near to where Charlie was sitting, looking lost and scared.

“Thank you your honour” Mr Gray said as he looked to Judith. “Members of the jury, I take you back to April 2010. Two police officers stumble across a warehouse full of dodgy dealing. Statues been shipped into the warehouse and then back out. Nothing out of the ordinary, but, Yasmin Blake saw the officers from the warehouse, approached them with Clyde and Bobby there for back up. Bobby punches Angelo Rosetta after he protects Charlie from, what was it? ‘an indecent remark to Senior Constable’s appearance’. After this, Bobby and Clyde carry Charlie and Angelo to the warehouse where they cause Charlie Buckton to receive a blow to her head, which, according to a hospital report from Dr. Rachel Armstrong; was severe enough to kill her” Mr. Gray said as he looked to the jury as he gave out the evidence that Georgina and Avary had compiled. “Further investigation the Constable Watson and Constable Avary carried out, found that inside the warehouse was where the cocaine and marijuana was transferred from the packets into the statues” Mr. Gray by know had walked back to his desk and picked up several copies of the same sheet that had Georgina’s and Avary’s findings on. He handed then to the jury who mumbled to one another as they looked at the paper.

Ruby leaned forward so she could see the expression on Charlie’s face. But there was none. Charlie stared at the little spec of mud that was on the ground. The only thing keeping her from breaking down in front of everyone.

“I would like to call Constable Avary into the stand please”

Mr. Gray spoke to Avary, then to Georgie, then to Roman, Leah, Colleen, Irene, Nicole, Xavier and Romeo. Each saying the same as they had said when they were being interviewed originally. Avary’s statement merged into Georgina’s, whose merged into Roman’s. Each seemed to merge together, as though they were all reading the same piece of writing.

Ross watched as every single person took to the stand. Angelo kept his eyes firmly on Charlie, wanting to be sitting beside her through all of this, but knowing he wasn’t allowed to be. Ruby kept squeezing Charlie’s shoulders, each time Charlie found a reason to smile, she only wished she could block her ears of to what she heard, she wished she could block her eyes to the sight of Yasmin and that grin that was plastered on her face as she pushed the boat.

Yasmin looked to no one. She looked at the only picture on the wall. Her eyes would fall to the spot where Charlie was sitting. A mixture of hatred and smug passed through Yasmin as she looked to Charlie’s leg. Even though nothing could be seen, the outline came through underneath the trousers Charlie was wearing.

Bobby and Clyde looked down at the handcuffs that were around their wrists. They looked as though they were thinking about what they had done to Charlie and to Angelo and how they had nearly killed Charlie. Twice.

The jury looked to Mr. Gray, then to Bobby, Clyde, Yasmin and then to Charlie. The main speaker of the jury rose to his feet. “We would like to have Charlie Buckton take the stand before we reach any sort of decision “

Roman, Miles, Leah, Ross, Morag and everyone mumbled to one another, in shock that the jury we requesting something like that. Looking over to where Charlie was sitting, they saw her shake with fear.

“You can’t expect her to stand there whilst she’s like that” Angelo said in an outburst

Judith hit her gavel on the block “Silence, Any more outbursts like that in my courtroom and you shall be thrown out”

Charlie looked over her shoulder to Angelo. She wanted to smile at him to show her appreciation of his actions, but she couldn’t bring a smile onto her face. Charlie slowly rose to her feet. Her arm shakily reached out for her crutch, her steps were small and very rigid.

The jury watched closely as Charlie made her way slowly to the stand and passed Clyde, Bobby and Yasmin. Taking note of how Charlie reacted when she was up close to her attackers.

“Charlie Buckton” The main jury smiled

“Yes” Charlie replied, her voice barely audible

“This woman here, is she the one who pushed the boat?” The main juror asked as he pointed to Yasmin.

Charlie looked up to Yasmin. The smile on her face his Charlie square in the face, tears streamed down her face, her breathing became heavier, she felt her chest tighten

“Get them out of here!” Judith shouted as she saw how quickly Charlie had deteriorated

Angelo, Ruby and Rachel rushed to Charlie’s side. As she still struggled for air, Angelo picked her up in his arms and quicken his pace out of the court room, Ruby and Rachel followed quickly behind.

Inside the courtroom; the jury had left to reach a decision, Morag was trying to calm Ross down, Xavier wanted to be with Ruby and help her, Nicole and Romeo were with Miles -who was trying to make sense of what he had seen- Irene, Leah and Roman couldn’t believe how quick Charlie had deteriorated and Colleen? Well, looking for a phone.

Danni: Thanks for the ample help :)

Carina, Sarah, Sam, Scotcazz, Rach, Charis: thank you so much for the :wub: comments, Love them :) xx

Chapter 106

With Charlie still in his arms, Angelo found an unoccupied bench in the corridor of the courthouse, and he sat Charlie up as per instruction from Rachel. Ruby stood behind Rachel. worryingly looking at Charlie as he breathing still seemed to be bad.

"Right, Angelo, I need you to talk to Charlie, clam her down, tell her everything is going to be alright"

“How am I supposed to do that? Look at her” Angelo replied, looking to Charlie as she struggled for breath

“She’s having a panic attack. Once she’s calm, her breathing will go back to normal” Rachel replied “Ruby, it’d be best if we left Angelo with Charlie. Too many people around her can make this more difficult” Rachel told Ruby as she turned to face Ruby

“But..” Ruby began

“Ruby please” Angelo begged

Ruby looked to Angelo and nodded. She and Rachel then made there way back along the corridor to the courtroom they had left in such a hurry.

Angelo took Charlie’s hands and looked her in the eye “Charlie, listen. Its just you and me now. Everything is going to be ok. I need you to breath like me” Angelo said softly before beginning to breath. Charlie looked to Angelo, her breaths still erratic “Charlie, Charlie. You’re not listening. Breath like me” Angelo said “Please” He begged. Charlie nodded and tried to copy Angelo.

After copying Angelo for what seemed more than an hour, Charlie was finally able to breath normally. Charlie looked to Angelo, and then to the ground quickly; she felt embarrassed.

“Charlie? What’s wrong?” Angelo asked as he noticed how Charlie had looked away from him so suddenly

“I’m sorry” Charlie said, her voice beginning to crack

“Hey, you have nothing to be sorry about” Angelo said as he cupped Charlie’s chin in his hand and pushed her head up “Nothing at all”

Charlie smiled at Angelo as tears formed in her eyes. Her nose tingled under the strain of keeping the tears in her eyes. “I thought I was doing well. After all this time, and after everything you, dad, Morag, Ruby, everyone has told me, I thought I’d be alright. I was wrong. Obviously”

“Charlie, you have done so well to make it this far. Your still here, you haven’t left the building, you sat in there and listened to everything that was said, you sat opposite them” Angelo began “I’m so proud of you Charlie”

Charlie looked to Angelo and smiled. Angelo leaned over to Charlie and pulled her close for a hug, just as Ruby walked toward them.

“Sorry, guys, but, the jury are ready with their verdict” Ruby said as she watched Charlie and Angelo pull apart

“Thanks Rubes” Angelo smiled as Charlie wiped her face.

Inside the courtroom, the jury had all taken their seats, Bobby, Clyde and Yasmin had been brought out of the holding area, and Charlie’s support network we chatting amongst themselves.

The room fell silent as Charlie entered the room. Ross smiled as he saw Charlie walk passed him. Leah, Roman, Nicole, Miles, Romeo, Irene; they all smiled at Charlie as she slowly passed them.

Judith waited until Charlie had taken her seat on the bench -This time, Angelo and Ruby were allowed to sit beside her. Morag and Ross had moved behind Charlie as instructed by the officer who relayed information to and from the judge- before she continued with the hearing.

The main juror rose to his feet. Charlie felt dread run through her body as the main juror rose above the rest. Angelo squeezed Charlie’s hand and Ruby placed her hand on top of Charlie’s, both sensing Charlie’s sudden negative feeling.

“Have you reached a decision?” Judith asked Mike -the main juror-

Mike nodded “We have”

“And how do you find the defendants” Judith asked “Guilty or not guilty”

Mike opened his mouth. In that moment, everything slowed down. The wall on the clock seemed to tick slower; Mike moved his mouth slower; Angelo’s squeeze on Charlie’s hand was felt to become more intense, but very slowly; Irene’s, Colleen’s, Leah’s and Nicole’s hands came up to their faces slower than usual.

Sounds in the room became muffled. Looking around the room, Charlie’s head seemed to be turning slowly.

Mike’s lips moved as he boldly said “Guilty”

Charlie remained motionless.

Cheers came from behind her and from the side of her. Everyone celebrated as Charlie remained still. Not looking to anyone who was around her. She sat almost like she hadn’t heard what had happened, she didn’t react to anything that was going on around her.

A tear fell from Ross’ eye as he looked to Charlie, knowing that now she could move passed this and begin to rebuild her life.

Angelo pulled Charlie close to him for a hug, still she was motionless as Judith passed sentence

“For the attempted murder of Charlie Buckton, assault on Charlie Buckton and Angelo Rosetta and for the possession of class A drugs. I here by sentence Clyde Cooper, Bobby Cooper and Yasmin Blake to fifteen years imprisonment with a minimum time of eight years before chance of parole”

With Tony at the barbeque cooking the chicken strips, the chops, the burgers and the steaks. And Marilyn and Colleen in charge of the alcohol and Irene and Leah preparing the salads and other condiments to go with the barbeque, Charlie sat on one of the chairs over looking the beach. The sentencing had finally sunk in, and Charlie found herself smiling so much easier then she could before.

“Hey” Ruby smiled as she walked over to Charlie “How you doing?”

“Hey. Good yea” Charlie replied with a smile on her lips and a tear in her eye

“That had better be a happy tear Charlie” Ruby smiled as she knelt beside Charlie

Charlie wiped her face “It is, don’t worry”

“Charlie” Ruby asked as she played with her fingers

“Yea?”

“I’ve been thinking about something’s” Ruby replied as she continued to play with her fingers “And, I want everything to go back to what it was”

“Rubes…”

“Wait, please” Ruby cut Charlie off “I don’t want to forget everything that we’ve been through so far to get to here. But I do want to forget something’s, does that make sense?”

“I think I know what you mean” Charlie replied

“I want to work on this, whatever it is” Ruby said as she took Charlie’s hand “I don’t want there to be any more secrets between us. I want us to be a proper family again”

“That’s what I want” Charlie smiled “But, its going to take a while Rubes”

Ruby nodded. “I know, but, it will be worth it in the end”

“Yea, yea it will” Charlie replied as Ruby rose to her knees and wrapped her arms around Charlie.

Thank you all so much for the comments. they mean so much to me and I hope you like this chapter.

This is the week after the court hearing.

Charlie&Ruby&Angelo are the main ones in this chapter.

Danni: thanks :) once again xx

Chapter 107

Charlie had awoken early.

Angelo had already headed off to work, he had the morning shift and had the afternoon off.

Roman, Leah and VJ were all still asleep and Ruby had stayed at Nicole’s the night before.

“Morning” Ruby smiled as she walked through the door

“Morning” Charlie smiled back “How was the movie?”

“It was alright. Dex chose again. His taste in films is so weird” Ruby replied as she grabbed a juice from the fridge. “Anyway, why you up so early? I get why I am, but why are you?” Ruby asked as she sat next to Charlie

“Its Wednesday today” Charlie replied.

“Yea” Ruby replied

“Wednesday the 1st” Charlie added

Ruby looked to Charlie as if to say ‘and’. Her face then changed as she realised “That’s happening today?” Charlie nodded “Wow, that came around fast”

“I thought it’d be later on, like, another six weeks or something, but, after Rachel told me what the doctors said, she went and got an appointment sorted for me”

“Charlie that’s great. At least one of them is coming out” Ruby smiled as she placed her hand on Charlie’s.

“Yea” Charlie replied

“Is Angelo going with you?” Ruby asked

“Yea, he’s the taxi” Charlie laughed

“Oh yea, right” Ruby laughed. “I can come to if you like. You know, for moral support”

“I’d like that” Charlie smiled as she looked to Ruby.

“What time is your appointment?” Ruby asked before she exited the kitchen

“Erm, 11:10” Charlie replied as she looked to the appointment card on the fridge

“Right, I’ll go for a shower, get dressed then you and I can go grab something to eat at the diner before we go” Ruby smiled

“Sounds like a plan” Charlie replied

“Slow down” Avary said to Angelo as Angelo placed another file in the cabinet

“I’m on a roll, no sense in slowing now” Angelo replied as he took the next file and began to write in that one

“Ok, I get why you’re doing this. But you will be at the hospital in time Angelo, don’t worry” Avary said as he sat beside Angelo.

“ I know I’m obsessing, but, I said I’d be there. And, the sooner I get all this done, the sooner I can be there.”

Avary watched Angelo as he began to right on the papers again. He then rose to his feet after sighing, and walked over to Georgina. “Can we send Angelo home?” He asked

“Why?” Georgie asked

“To be honest, he’s going to burn himself out. He’s doing two day’s work in half a day.”

“Its Charlie’s hospital appointment today. They’re supposed to be finding out if one of the bars are coming out” Georgie bit her lip. “I guess we can handle things here. Send him home”

Avary nodded before walking back into the office.

“You can go home mate” Avary said to Angelo as he sat in the seat opposite Angelo.

“In a minute” Angelo replied as he continued to write

“No, now. You were only supposed to work until ten and its just after half past now” Avary replied as he looked to his watch

Angelo’s face dropped, as did the pen from his hand. Avary laughed to himself as he literally saw the dust fly from Angelo’s shoes.

“He was in a hurry” Georgina smiled as she entered the office

“I told him it was later than it is. He’s doing too much”

“Its ever since the trail. I don’t think he’s too sure that they’ll be in for long”

“What makes you say that?” Avary asked

“I saw Angelo looking over the file last night.”

“What’s it gonna take for him to realise that Charlie is safe?”

“I think its something to do with what’s going on in his head. He’s had to look over his shoulder for ages now and now he doesn’t. He hasn’t had chance to get used to that yet. When he does, he’ll calm down again”

Charlie sat on the couch, waiting for Ruby to finish getting ready and for Angelo to arrive at the house. Her appointment was in an hour and she was getting more and more nervous waiting for the hands on the clock to point to 11 and 2.

“Right. I’m ready” Ruby said as she sat beside Charlie

“Finally” Charlie replied

“Why you looking so worried?” Ruby asked as she noticed the look on Charlie’s face “Today is good”

“But, what if its not?” Charlie asked

“Charlie, Rachel said you could get one of the bars out today”

“Yea, Rubes, could. That’s not a definite answer” Charlie replied

“I know, but, its still good news. This time a few weeks ago you were sure you’d still have all three bars in your leg next year” Ruby smiled

“Its gonna hurt isn’t it?” Charlie asked as she looked to her leg and then to Ruby

“Maybe. But at least the x-ray wont hurt” Ruby smiled

“The x-ray’s don’t bother me, I’m used to them, it’s the pain I wont cope with” Charlie replied

“Well, just think. Once the first one is out, you’ve only got two more to go and then you can bend your leg properly” Ruby laughed

“Only you can find that funny” Charlie smiled

“And Angelo” Ruby added “Speaking of Angelo, when is your next date?”

“I have no idea” Charlie replied as she looked to Ruby “why?”

“It just seems ages ago since your last date. And seeing as though it was something that you had both wanted for ages, I just thought once you’d had one date, you’d want more”

“Ok, our date was only two weeks ago”

“Twelve days actually” Ruby butted in

“Ok, you kept count?” Charlie asked

“No, well, yea, well, kinda, but, that’s not the point”

“Rubes, trust me, if we could have more dates, I would love it. But, Angelo’s been taking more shifts at the station and the ends of the dates aren’t that great”

“What do you mean?” Ruby asked

Charlie looked to Ruby “Ok, now this is getting weird, I’m not sure if I should be talking to you about this”

“Charlie, come on, I said, we said we wanted to go back to what we had. Talks like this are apart of that” Ruby replied as she took Charlie’s hands.

Charlie bit her lip as she looked into Ruby’s big eyes.

Charlie opened her mouth and was about to speak when Angelo burst into the room. “Hey, I’m not late am I?”

Ruby looked slightly disappointed as she looked to Angelo “No. Early in fact”

Angelo looked to the clock on the wall. 10:10. “I’m gonna kill him” Angelo said

“Kill who?” Charlie asked

“Avary. He said it was ten to eleven” Angelo replied as he kissed Charlie on the forehead. “So, what were we talking about?”

Ruby looked to Angelo and then to Charlie as Charlie looked to Ruby and then quickly to Angelo. “Nothing “

The corridor seemed to get longer as Charlie, Angelo and Ruby walked along it. Charlie looked nervous as they headed to the reception. Ruby and Angelo shared the same big smiled on their face.

“Can I help you?” The woman on the desk asked as Charlie, Angelo and Ruby leant against the desk

“I’m Charlie Buckton, I have an appointment to see Rachel. I mean, Dr. Armstrong”

The woman on reception smiled. “If you got into the waiting room she’ll be right with you”

“Thank you” Charlie smiled as she began to walk to the waiting room.

“Don’t look so worried” Angelo said as he placed his hand on top of Charlie’s.

“I can’t help it. My minds racing” Charlie replied

“With what?” Angelo asked

“With what if’s” Charlie answered as she looked to Angelo “I mean, what if they have to leave them in indefinitely? What if I have to always rely on the crutch until I’m old? After that I’ll have to use a Zima frame”

Angelo couldn’t help but laugh at Charlie’s little outburst. “Ok, Charlie. Didn’t you tell me only last week sometime, that you saw yourself with no crutch and no worries to do with any of this?” Angelo said as he opened his hands out to show the hospital.

“What if that was me just dreaming about something that would never happen?” Charlie replied

“Ok Charlie stop. This worrying is all for nothing. When Rachel comes through those doors your going to have an x-ray, have the bar removed and then we’re going home. And wait until the next two are removed”

“You promise that will happen?” Charlie asked, almost child like

Angelo smiled “Yea,. I promise”

Ruby smiled as she watched Angelo’s and Charlie’s lips meet.

“Charlie” Rachel smiled as she stood behind Charlie and Angelo. “I’m ready for you”

Charlie looked to Ruby and Angelo, then to Rachel before rising to her feet.

Charlie sat in the seat opposite Rachel. Angelo sat beside Charlie and Ruby made herself comfy on the bed.

“Right, all I’m going to do is x-ray your leg. Then the surgeons who put the bars in will then make the decision on which way is best to remove the bar. If the x-ray show improvement in the bone’s healing, the bar will be removed and an assessment on the second and third bars will be carried out. This basically means they’ll be checking to see if the bars are doing what they’re supposed to be doing and that the bone is healing how its supposed to” Rachel explained.

“Right ok.” Charlie said as she looked to Rachel. “When is the x-ray?”

“Well, I will just have to do a couple of quick tests, just to make sure you can have an x-ray”

“What kind of tests? I had x-ray’s all the time when I was in here” Charlie replied

“I hate to ask, but, is there any chance you could be pregnant Charlie?” Rachel asked

Angelo’s, Ruby’s and Charlie’s eyebrows shot straight up “No” Charlie replied, shaking her head

“Are you sure? If there is the slightest chance, we need to know. Because, if you are pregnant and we do the x-ray, you could miss-carry or the baby could have disabilities”

“No, there’s no chance I’m pregnant” Charlie said again, this time more sternly.

Laying down on the bed with her top rolled up, Charlie shook her head as Rachel squeezed the gel onto her stomach. “This is a waste of time” Charlie said as Rachel began the ultrasound.

Angelo and Ruby watched the screen closely as Rachel moved the transducer probe around Charlie’s stomach. A tear fell from Angelo’s eye as a faint noise was heard.

“Was that?” Angelo asked

“That was.” Rachel smiled “Congratulations. You’re pregnant”

Archived