I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

Thank you so much for the comments. I know I keep writing this, but I really do mean it. All the comments you leave are so great for me to read. I'm glad you like to read this and put down the specific parts you like. :wub:

and for those who read :D

This chapter doesn't have Charlie/Angelo/Ruby/Ross/Morag in. Hope that's ok :unsure:

Chapter 88

Xavier walked into the caravan park.

Looks of disgust met Charlie as she stepped foot into the diner. Colleen was the first to show Charlie her disgust. People whispered about Charlie as Charlie stood looking confused and scared. Xaiver bowed his head in shame as he watched Charlie's world fall down around her.

Ruby bumbled into the diner after Charlie, the smile that had once been present on her face vanished upon seeing the faces in the diner. Irene rushed to Ruby's side and pulled her away from Charlie. Ruby looked to Irene confused, then she looked to Charlie, desperate for an answer as to why she had been taken away like she had been. Charlie looked around at the people who stared at her. Her eyes filled with water, the tears escaped her eyes and fell down her face. Her cries went straight to Xaiver, who shuddered his body in response.

Gina lowered herself into the chair.

My son is dating the daughter of a woman who is thirty. She has a sixteen year old daughter. A child the same age my son is and she is younger than me. What happened? Charlie doesn't seem like the type of girl who'll just get herself into trouble and pawn her child off with her parents. Something else must have happened. Poor Xav, all he wanted was for him and Ruby to be together. But I'm glad Ruby found a great listener in Xaiver. And I'm glad he found that he could talk to me about this. Although, would Charlie and Ruby be ok with Xaiver telling me? After all, this does seem to be Charlie and Ruby's thing to tell, not Xaiver's.

Roman lay next to Leah as she slept.

Need a drink. Can't cope. If I heard Angelo calling maybe I could have helped. No, no drink, I can fight this. There would have been nothing I could have done that Angelo didn't do already. Yes there was, I could have driven to the hosptial faster. No, because that could have caused an accident. Wait, I need a drink. Where does Leah keep the vodka? No Roman, You've done so well to get to here. What would Leah say if she knew you had started to drink again? What would VJ think of you? And Nicole? She's been so great these last few weeks and she's been so proud of you. But I really need that vodka to run down my throat and dull out these feelings I have. NO! I can't drink. I have to fight this. Leah and Nicole mean so much to me; I can't disappoint them again. And VJ he looked up to me, I can't show him that I'm a pathetic drunk.

Go and see Charlie tomorrow; see for yourself that she's fine, offer your support, show Charlie and Angelo that you can be there for them like they were for you

Leah dreamed.

I don't think this is a good idea. I shouldn't have told Roman how I felt until he had recovered from his drink problem. I've just added to it. No, I've helped. Irene, Colleen, Charlie, Nicole, Ruby even VJ have all said how great I've been. I must be doing something right. Roman still cares for Charlie, he was with her for a long time, they still have some feelings for each other there; that will never change. I have accepted that; Charlie is my best friend and she is with Angelo. I am with Roman and he needs me now, more than ever. I can be here for him; he's going through so much. I'll help him through this until the end

Colleen rushed to her van. Bypassing Miles as he headed back to the house, carrying with him the mop and its bucket.

"Colleen!" Xaiver shouted. Colleen looked over her shoulder and continued to make her way into her warm van. "Colleen please" Xaiver said as he looked through the door. "I need to explain something"

"What?" Colleen said as she looked back to Xaiver

"Can I come in?" Xaiver asked as he looked around and saw Miles looking at him.

"No" Colleen replied

"Look, what ever you think you heard, you heard wrong" Xaiver said

"I don't think so. I may be getting on in years but my ears are still working thank you very much"

"I don't mean that, I mean, you don't know the full story. Please don't tell anyone"

"I heard enough and that's all I need to know thank you" Colleen replied as she shut the door to the caravan.

"Colleen please" Xaiver said again as he watched the door close.

"What's the matter mate? She short change you at the diner or something?" Miles smiled as he looked to Xaiver

"Shut up" Xaiver replied as he made his way back through the caravan park.

Miles watched with wide eyes as Xaiver made his back to the beach.

John peered through the door. "Is it safe?" he asked. Gina nodded. John made his way into the house and sat himself down on the couch next to where Gina was sitting. He saw the beginnings of the glazed look Xaiver had in Gina's eyes. "Gina? You ok?"

"I'm fine" Gina smiled

"Did Xaiver tell you something?" John asked

"He may have done. But I don't think he really wanted to tell me"

"So why did he tell you?" John asked

"I don't know. But I don't think I should know just yet"

"Leah? You awake?" Roman asked as he rolled onto his side and looked to Leah as she slept

"I wasn't, but now I am" Leah replied as she rolled on to her side to look at Roman

"Can I tell you something?" Roman asked

"Yes, of course you can" Leah replied

"I want to get a drink. But I know I can't. This thing with Charlie has got me doubting me in my own head" Roman began "I can't help but feel that I could have helped get Charlie to the hospital quicker, and if I did, then maybe she'd be better then she is"

"Roman, Angelo and Nicole did what you would have done, they got her to the hosptial and she's going to be ok. Angelo called and said that they're going to keep her in overnight just to make sure the drug is working. Don't beat yourself up"

"I can't help it. Ever since Charlie and I broke up I have had this horrible feeling that I'm going to stuff up any chance of having a friendship with her"

"Roman, you and Charlie are still friends. You don't have to worry about her so much. That's what Angelo is there for. You just make sure Angelo can vent to you when Charlie does something. Or listen to Charlie when she needs a guys perspective on something"

"Do you want to come to the hospital with me tomorrow and see her?" Roman asked

"You still love Charlie don't you?" Leah asked

"I love her, but I'm not in[/] love with her. I'm in love with you" Roman answered

"Roman, its ok if you still love Charlie. I'd be worried if you didn't"

"Really?" Roman asked

"Really. And as for seeing Charlie tomorrow, I'd love to"

*Can Colleen keep gossip to herself?

* Can Gina handle half a story?

*How does a crowded diner find out?????

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the lovely comments! :wub::)

hope this one's ok :unsure::(

Chapter 89

Morag and Ross rushed along the corridors. Frantically looking for someone to tell them where Charlie was.

A cleaner walked around a corner and collided with Morag.

"I am so sorry" Morag gasped as she grabbed hold of the cleaners arms to stop them from falling to the ground. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine" The woman replied as she wiped her hands down her apron. "Any reason why you're running along the corridors?"

"I'm looking for my daughter. She was brought in a few hours ago" Ross breathlessly said

"Pretty? Brown hair, greeny blue eyes?" The wamn descirbed, Ross nodded as he listened "She's in room 305. Head down this corridor and its the eighth door on the left" The cleaner replied

"Thank you" Ross smiled as he began to walk down the corridor

"I really am sorry" Morag said again as she got level with the cleaner

"I'd be the same if my daughter was rushed in" The cleaner replied

Charlie lay asleep on the bed. The drip hung beside her bed, pumping into her the Heparin she needed to thin her blood. Angelo leaned against the wall, watching as Charlie slept with Ruby holding on to her hand. Ruby sat in the chair beside Charlie, she too asleep. Drained from all that had happened in the day.

A slight knock at the door took Angelo by suprise. He wiped his eyes and headed for the door. Opening it he revealed Ross and Morag stood in the corridor.

"How is she?" Ross asked as he walked straight for Charlie

"She's fine. Rachel has her on Herapin. Its a blood thinnner" Angelo replied as Morag took his hand and squeezed it gently

"Have they said where the blood clot is?" Ross asked as he kissed Charlie's forehead and reached for her free hand.

"I think they said it was in her leg. She collapsed due to the loss of use in her leg and the pain the blood clot was causing" Angelo began to say, but stopped when he felt tears welling up in his eyes.

"And how's Ruby doing?" Ross asked as he looked to Ruby

"She's ok I guess. In shock, but ok" Angelo replied

"We drove passed Xaiver on the way here. Was he here?" Morag said to Angelo as they moved closer to Ross, Ruby and Charlie

"Erm, yea, yea he was. Ruby told Xaiver the truth and he came with Ruby when they realised what had happened" Angelo answered

"So you were with Charlie when this happened?" Ross cleared

"Yes I was" Angelo replied

Rachel walked into the room just as Angelo was about to say something. "Sorry to interupt" Rachel said to grab the attention of the worried trio

"Rachel" Ross smiled

"Hi Ross" Rachel replied. "Erm, I've got the results back that we took an hour ago"

"What test did you do?" Ross asked

"Nothing bad Ross, don't worry" Rachel quickly said, sensing the worry in Ross' voice "Herapin is a blood thinner, and if a patient recives too high a dosage, it can kill them. The test was to make sure we were giving Charlie the correct amount"

"And?" Morag asked

"She's fine. The dosage is right and the blood clot is thinning out. She should be able to go home late tomorrow afternoon" Rachel smiled

"Thanks Rach" Angelo said to Rachel as he looked to her with relief in his face

"No problem" Rachel replied.

the following day

Xaiver sat in the diner. Watching everymove Colleen had done. Hefelt like a stalker, but it was the only way he could think of to keep Colleen quiet long enough so that he could warn Ruby about what she knew.

"Hey Xav" Nicole smiled as she and Romeo went to sit with him

"Hey" Xaiver quickly replied

"What's up?" Romeo asked, watching Xaiver's eyes dot around the room

"Nothing" Xaiver lied

"Who are you watching?" Romeo asked as he looked in the direction Xaiver was staring

"No one" Xaiver replied

"Hi Colleen" Nicole smiled as Colleen walked passed the table. "OK that was weird" Nicole said

"What was?" Romeo asked

"Colleen always stands and talks to me. Even if its about nothing"

Roman and Leah arrived and walked straight into the kitchen. They put their aprons on, washed their habds and then made a atart on preparing some of the food people had ordered. Irene stood and watched Colleen as she walked around the diner.

"Irene?" Leah said for the seventh time

"Yea darl?" Irene replied as she heard her name

"You alright?" Leah asked

"Yea. Fine. Why?" Irene answered

"You don't seem yourself"

"Don't worry about me love, worry about Colleen. ever since Xaiver walked into the diner an hour ago, she hasn't really spoken. Its a relief to the ears, but its not Colleen" Irene replied

"Do you think something's happened?" Roman asked

"I don't know, maybe. Colleen kept banging on about something Xaiver, Nicole and Romeo were hiding. Maybe she's found out what that is"

"But if she has found out, how come she hasn't said anything? After all, this is Colleen we're talking about here" Roman said

"Maybe she would if Xaiver wasn't here" Irene suggested

"Can anyone remember what Colleen tried to say about it to us the other day?" Irene asked

"Is it really buggin you Irene?" Leah asked

"No. Colleen is" Irene replied as she walked back into the kitchen and continued to do the orders.

"I have no meetings this morning. Fancy a coffee at the diner?" John said to Gina as he handed her the paper.

"Sound good. I'll go have a quick shower then I'll be with you" Gina smiled

Angelo finished off putting the last couple of Charlie's things into a bag whilst Ruby helped Charlie put her coat on. Charlie couldn't lift her arm properly yet due to the drip only just been taken out.

"So remember what Rachel said; not too much stress, take long seated breaks and tell someone about any pain you are in" Angelo said to Charlie as he placed Charlie's bag on his shoulder

"I got it dad" Charlie smiled as she looked to Angelo

"Suits you" Ruby laughed as she looked to the bag hanging down from Angelo's shoulder

"Stop ganging up on me" Angelo smiled

"You ready darling?" Ross smiled as he walked to Charlie

"Yea dad" Charlie replied

"I thought we could go to the diner. You know, as a family" Ross saui as he looked to Charlie, then to Ruby and then to Angelo.

"Sounds good" Charlie smiled

The diner filled with customers. Indi rushed in and out of the kitchen with people's orders.

"Full house" Irene said as she handed two plates to a waitress

"Tell me about it" The waitress replied as she took the plates from Irene and headed out in to the seating area.

"Where is Colleen?" Irene asked as she rose to her tip toes to look over people's heads

"I haven't seen her for a while" Leah replied as she looked into the seating area.

Gina and John walked along the beach as they headed toward the diner. John looked to Gina and saw that she wasn't with him.

"What did Xaiver say to you?" John asked

"Why do you asked?" Gina replied

"Well, you still have that look on your face that you didn last night. It looks close to the way Xaiver did when he got home last night. Gina, look, I'm here ok. Tell me what the problem is and maybe I can help fix it"

"This isn't a thing that you can fix John. And besides, I don't even know the full story" Gina replied

"Well, tell me what you know. I hate seeing you like this" John said as he took Gina's hand

"I don't know if it's my place to say" Gina began. "Ruby told him something about her and Charlie and then he just stopped"

"What about Charlie and Ruby?" John asked

"That's the thing. He only told me half a story. And I dont' want to tell you only to get the whole thing wrong. How would Charlie and Ruby feel if they were been talked about and what people were saying wasn't true?"

"I think you need to talk to Xaiver again. And this time, ask hime to tell you the whole story. You obviously can't handle not knowing"

"And I know its going to affect his and Ruby's relationship"

"All the more reason to find out the whole story"

"Xaiver" Colleen said as she walked up to Xavier's table "I've thought about what you said last night. I have heard little bits. And I'm not going to gossip" Colleen added

"Thanks"

"But I don feel I have a right to know. If you know then I definately should know"

"Ruby told me. You don't have a right to be told"

"I have more right know than you do young man. And if you take that tone of voice with me again I shall drag you out of here by your ear" Colleen replied

"How do you have more of a right?"

"My sister is married into that family, therefore I am an aunty" Colleen replied

"I can't say" Xaiver replied

"Say what?" Nicole asked

"Nothing" Xaiver replied

"There's something" Colleen said

"There's nothing" Xaiver said

"There is. You're all tense" Romeo said

"Just leave it" Xavier said

"Leave what?" Gina asked as she approached the table

"Nothing" Xaiver said

"Xaiver?" Gina said

"Colleen?" Nicole said

"Mum" Xaiver asked

"Xaiver" Colleen said

"Charlie is Ruby's mum!" Xaiver shouted, feeling the pressure.

Silence fell upon the diner.

Charlie and Ruby stood, frozen in the door way of the diner.

Thank you all so much for the :wub: comments.

Chapter 90

Charlie remained frozen on the spot. She felt a burning sensation in the side of her head as the stares from people continued. Looks of disgust met her water-filled eyes. Cold whispers went passed her ears, the same whispers she had heard several years before. Everything was happening to her again; the feeling of isolation from others, the humiliation of everyone knowing, the cold reception she was receiving from friends.

Charlie’s breathing turned to hyperventilation. No one rushed to her aid, all were dumbfounded by the shock revelation they had heard. Even Ruby had frozen on the spot, her attention was on Xavier, the one person she had trusted with her secret and now he had let her down. Hatred filled her body, pain filled her heart and tears filled her eyes. How could Xavier do something like this after everything she told him? She trusted him, she believed him when he told her that he wouldn’t tell anyone, and now look, the whole of the bay know.

Angelo saw from the car that Charlie and Ruby hadn’t moved from the door in well over five minutes. Filled with worry, he left Ross struggling to get out the car and ran up to the diner. Morag threw her hands out in disgust with Angelo as she watched him reach the doorway of the diner. She too, looked closer to who was stood in the doorway. Feeling that she couldn’t leave Ross half in the car and half out of the car, she pushed his leg back into the car and went to join Angelo at the door.

“How could you!” Ruby screeched as she glared to Xavier “I trusted you!” Ruby cried, tears fell uncontrollably from her eyes.

“I’m sorry” Xavier replied, his voice filled with the sorrow he was feeling

“Save it” Ruby snapped as she turned and ran from the diner.

“Ruby” Xavier called. Gina tried to grab him to keep him from chasing Ruby, but he was too quick. He made his way through the diner and passed Charlie. He looked to her with the same sorrow in his eyes that he had shown Ruby, but Charlie turned her head toward Angelo’s chest, leaning in for the much needed comfort she sought.

Angelo looked around to see that everyone was still staring at Charlie. She fidgeted in his arms, showing her un- comfortableness in the mass of eyes that had fallen upon her. “I’ll take her home. Will you get Ruby?“ Angelo said to Morag as she joined them at the door.

Morag nodded her head. Her eyes widened when she saw everyone in the diner looking over to where she, Angelo and Charlie were stood. She instantly knew what had happened, even without asking.

“Ruby, please. Let me explain!” Xavier begged as he followed Ruby as she walked quickly along the beach, hugging herself as she tried to escape Xavier’s outstretched arm. “Please. I need to explain” Xavier begged again, hoping his plea would cause Ruby to turn to face him and give him the few moments he needed and wanted to explain himself.

“Leave me alone” Ruby snapped as she shook her arm free from Xavier’s grasp. Xavier held on to Ruby’s arm, hoping that the connection they had would be enough for Ruby to consider letting him explain himself. “Now” Ruby demanded. Xavier knew Ruby wasn’t going to listen to him. Defeated, he dropped his hands to his side and watched sadly as Ruby continued her walk to the other end of the beach. Trying to distance herself from Xavier and his betrayal.

Morag stood, watching at the top of the beach. Xavier had remained where he was stood, watching helplessly at Ruby as she continued to walk to the rocks at the other end of the beach. Her heart went out to Xavier; she could see how angry with himself he was, and how much he wanted Ruby to let him back into her life. But she also knew that Xavier had no right telling anyone, let alone the entire bay.

Morag walked to where Xavier was stood. Tears fell freely from his eyes. They were red and puffy, he'd obviusly been crying for a while. "Here" Morag said to Xavier as she handed him a tissue

"Thanks" Xaiver replied quietly and took the tissue from Morag. "Didn't think you'd want to help me" Xavier added as he wiped his face

"I don't. Not really. My family have been through enough without you adding to that. Ruby is devesated, Charlie has no idea what to say or how to feel, Angelo is peeved and Ross, well, I'd hate to find out what he'll say when he finds out"

"What can I do to let you know how sorry I am" Xavier asked, sounding desperate

"At the moment?" Morag asked, to which Xavier nodded "Nothing" Xavier's body slumped "There's nothing you can do until Ruby and Charlie have had time to work things through in their heads. But what I do suggest to you, is that you keep that shut from now in" Morag replied as she placed her index finger over Xavier's lips. "If anyone asks you what else you know, you don't say anything. And if you do.." Morag shok her head. "I don't know what will happen"

"I really am sorry" Xaiver said once again

"I know you are. But you did have the choice to not say anything" Morag replied before she headed down the beach to Ruby.

Morag found Ruby. She sat on the same rock she had been sat on when she told Xavier the truth about her maternity. Hugging herself for comfort and to stop the pain she was feeling. She looked to Morag, crying she rose to her feet and melted into her open arms

"Why Morag? Why did he tell" Ruby cried as Morag gently stroked her hair

"Pressure. Angst. I don't realy know. But you don't need to worry about that anymore. You and Chalrie need each other more than ever now"

"How can I show my face to Charlie again? I've let her down. I promised her that I'd tell Xavier to keep this to himself. You should have seen her Morag, I've never seen her so broken before" Ruby replied, cries still prevelent

"Because you promised each other something. And both you and Charlie have never broken a promise" Morag replied as she continued to comfort Ruby

"That we'll be there for each other until the end" Ruby remembered "I hate him Morag. I hate him"

"You don't mean that, you're just hurting"

"I do mean it. He betrayed me, he said he wouldn't tell anyone, not even Gina" Ruby cried "And now look"

Morag remained silent. She knew Ruby didn't mean what she was saying, she was hurt, angry, diassapointed with Xavier, dissapointed with herself, tired, cold, and in much need of going home. "Come one. Every one is at home"

Angelo cradled Charlie delicately in his arms. She shook with fear, cried with pain, and breathed with worry. Never had Angelo seen Charlie so broken. He worried over her mental state; she hadn't had chance to fully recover from the accident and now on top of the court case and finsihing off her rehab, she had the locals to answer.

"Charlie" Angelo whipsered in her ear. He didn't want to startle her.

"I can't do this anymore. I want this to stop" Charlie cried

"Do what?" Angelo asked with symapthy present in his tone

"This" Charlie replied as she pointed to her leg "I can't cope with everyone knowing. Ruby and I are only just on speaking terms, I can't loose her Angelo. I don't want this to happen again. I can't go through this all again. I hate him. Get him out of my mind please Angelo" Charlie said. All her words not making much sense.

"I'm here baby" Angelo soflty whipsered in her. "I'm not going anywhere"

Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooo much for the comments xx :wub:

This is mainly the reactions/wonderings of people.

Charlie/Ruby/Angelo/Ross&Morag aren't in this chapter.... is that ok??

Chapter 91

The following evening...

Sitting alone on the beach, Xavier looked out to the surfers who were negotiating the waves as they rushed close. Sighing deeply, Xavier was soon taken back to his train of thought. How could he have been so cruel? Ruby never deserved to be hurt like that, and Charlie? After everything she had been through.

Finding himself with a handful of sand, he let the tiny grains of sand filter through the gaps between his fingers.

Xavier gently placed his hand on top of Ruby’s. He felt the trembling stop as his hand on hers soothed and relaxed her. Ruby looked up to Xavier with a smile on her lips and a teary glaze in her eyes. Xavier knew that this was hard for Ruby to say, and he knew that she hadn’t told anyone about this -he was the first one she had told- and that this was something that Ruby hadn’t got her head around yet, and because of that, Xavier also assumed that Charlie hadn’t had the time to get used to it either.

“Hey, I know this is hard for you, but I’m not going anywhere. You and Charlie will be ok and I will be here for you no matter what” Xavier smiled as he pulled Ruby closer into him. His warm arms wrapped around Ruby’s body, comforting her as she nestled in close to his chest. Felling safe and protected, Ruby knew that telling Xavier was the right thing to do.

“Thanks Xave. I know you weren’t expecting this, its huge. I don’t know how I’ve coped with it. I guess in a way I haven’t. Maybe telling you is a way to help me. I know that Charlie and I will be ok, its just a matter of time for that to happen. And knowing that you’ll be there for me, just like Angelo is for Charlie, makes that easier” Ruby replied as she wiped her face from the tears on her cheeks

“I won’t tell anyone. Its not for me to say, you and Charlie can both tell people together when you are ready. And I’ll be right beside you when you do” Xavier smiled as he looked to Ruby.

“Thanks” Ruby replied.

After a period of silence, Ruby glanced to where Charlie and Angelo had once been stood. “Maybe we should go back.” Ruby said

“Sure”

Rising to his feet, Xavier brushed the residual sand from his shorts before heading up to the diner. His heart raced as he approached the doors.

The following morning...

Roman, Irene, Leah and Colleen all leaned against the worktops in the kitchen. All battling with their thoughts over what they had heard.

Leah was Charlie’s best friend; they knew everything about each other -or at least Leah thought they did- all Leah wanted to do was reassure Charlie that everything was going to be ok. Leah didn‘t know the full story, all she knew was what everyone else knew; that Charlie is Ruby‘s mum. Leah saw the look Charlie and Ruby both had on their faces when they heard Xavier tell She knew by that one look that this mother/daughter relationship was more complex than what was first thought.

Irene had always had a soft spot for Charlie and Ruby, more so after Charlie was hospitalised after the warehouse incident. They had always been so close; a relationship everyone was to be jealous over, they always enjoy each others company. Irene felt very lucky in having people like that live in the bay. And a shock like that was certainly something Irene never expected, but, like Leah, she too had seen the looks on Charlie and Ruby’s faces.

Colleen was family and so she felt like an outsider as she was never told about any of this. She -in her opinion- had a right to know. Never seeing the reactions Charlie and Ruby gave, Colleen was ready to seek out Morag and demand to know the story. Never realising the delicateness that had been used over the last three months or so.

And Roman? He fidgeted as he was torn over what to do and say; he wanted to be with Charlie, after all, he and Charlie were together for three years and did go through some pretty trying times, and he did feel partly to blame for the beginnings of Charlie’s life unravelling around her. But he knew that it wasn’t his place; it was Angelo’s. Roman knew that he and Charlie were only friends and that’s how Charlie would always see their relationship, but one of the things Roman was taught in his therapy sessions was to try and help those who he had hurt.

“I have to do something” Roman said, breaking the silence as his removed his apron

“Where do you think you are going?” Leah asked as she grabbed Roman’s busy hands

“I’m going to see Charlie. Didn’t you see the look on her face?” Roman replied as he pointed to the door where Charlie and Ruby had once stood

“Yes I did. And because of that I think you should leave Charlie and Ruby to Angelo, Morag and Ross” Leah replied

“I can’t stand here and do nothing” Roman snarled

“Yes you can. I want to go over there and help, find out what’s going on but I can’t. What ever is going on its between Charlie, Ruby and their family” Leah retorted.

“Well if you ask me those two girls have never been what they seem. And I think Morag made a big mistake marrying into it” Colleen said, curling her nose up

“Oh for gawds sake. We have no idea what has gone on. For all we know it could be something terrible and we’re standing here judging them. Charlie and Ruby both looked as thought they wanted the ground to open and swallow them. Keep your opinions to yourself next time” Irene snapped

“I was only saying” Colleen replied, looking like a school child that had just been shouted at by the headmaster

“Well your ‘only saying’ gets you into a lot of trouble” Irene replied

“Poor Xave, having to keep something like that to himself” Nicole said as she and Romeo and Dex and Indi walked along the beach. “I don’t think I could have”

“Poor Xave? What about Ruby? And Charlie? Didn’t you see the look on their faces? They looked terrified” Indi replied as she kicked the sand with her feet

“I did, but it can’t have been easy for Xavier to keep something like that to himself for how ever long he did. Colleen was pretty full on when she was asking him”

“Weren’t we all?” Romeo pitched in “I mean, between you, me, Gina and Colleen, there was no relief. He was bound to blurt something out” Romeo finished

“Yea, well, he could have told us to shut up or he could have walked away” Indi replied

“That would have made it more obvious that he knew something” Dex added as he looked up from his book. “Things like this always have a way to come out. Its only a matter of time” He added before placing a straw in his mouth

“Are you weird all the time or is it a certain time in the day?” Nicole asked as she continued to walk

“All the time” Dex replied as he too, continued to walk whilst reading his book.

“Do you think Ruby will be at school today?” Indi asked

“No. can’t say that I blame her though” Nicole replied.

“Why do you think Charlie lied to Ruby?” Dex asked

“Dex!” Indi said, shocked by the forwardness in which he had just spoken

“What? it’s a simple question”

“One that might have a sensitive answer” Indi replied

“Whatever it is I’m sure its hard for Charlie and Ruby to talk about. I just can’t believe it” Romeo said

“Believe what?” Nicole asked

“That Charlie is Ruby’s mum. Never saw that coming”

“Isn’t Charlie too young to have a sixteen year old daughter though?” Dex pondered

“Maybe, but my parents were seventeen when they had me. And they are only four years older than Charlie” Nicole replied

Thank you all sooooooooooooooooooooo much for :wub: comments. I know I keep saying (or writing :lol: ) this, but its so great of you to not only read, but to comment as well :)

Chapter 92 *CONTAINS MENTIONS OF RAPE* you have been warned...

previous night

flashback

Angelo continued to hold Charlie close to him as she trembled with fear. Her cries crushed him as they rang through his ears. He hated seeing Charlie like this; she didn’t deserve this, not on top of everything else that was going on in her life. And what about Ruby? The one person she had trusted to tell had blurted it out in front of half the bay! Angelo shook his head as he tried to keep himself from crying the tears that had built up in his tired eyes.

Ross walked in first. He smiled when he saw his daughter seeking the comfort she needed from Angelo; Ross was glad that Charlie had found someone who was strong enough to no only cope with his own feelings on this subject, but cope with those of Charlie, Ruby and Morag.

Charlie never moved. Not even when Ross spoke softly to her. Unsure of what Charlie was thinking, Ross carefully moved the strands of hair that had fallen over her face. Her eyelids covered her sore, red, tired eyes, her eyelashes wet from the tears she had cried, her cheeks damp from where the tear trail had fallen.

“She’s asleep” Ross said to Angelo, spoken in hushed tone so he wasn’t to wake Charlie.

Angelo looked down and saw that Charlie had drifted off into a sleep. At least for now, she could block out the pain and sadness she was feeling.

Angelo rose to his feet with Charlie in his arms, and made his way to the spare room in Morag’s and Ross’ rented apartment. Angelo though it’d be best that they didn’t go to Leah’s as Leah, Roman and VJ would be home any minute.

Slowly lowering her down to the soft bed that had been freshly made, Angelo placed a blanket over Charlie as she continued to sleep.

Walking back into the front room where Ross had now taken a seat in, Angelo sat back in the chair he and Charlie were once sat.

“Thank you Angelo” Ross smiled as he looked to Angelo with thanks present on his face

“No worries. Charlie looked like she needed a cuddle” Angelo replied

“its more than that. You have shown Charlie more support and love in these last few months than a normal husband shows his wife” Angelo laughed slightly “I’m serious. I have never had any doubts about Charlie’s recovery, and I have you to thank for that. Even with Ruby; you’ve helped her too” Ross added as he looked to Angelo, who shied away from the attention he was receiving “I’ve said this time and time again. You and Charlie are perfect for each other. And once those men are thrown in jail, you can make it official and be together properly” Ross smiled

Angelo nodded. “About Charlie” Angelo began, “Before you came in, she was saying something about ‘him’ and how she wanted ‘him’ out of her mind. Has she ever said something like that before?” Angelo asked

Ross looked terrified “How did she sound when she said this?”

“Terrified. She was literally trembling in my arms, I couldn’t stop her from shaking” Angelo replied, showing in his face how concerned and shaken he was about it.

Ross looked down to the ground. His thoughts instantly went back to the night after Charlie had told Elsie and himself about the rape…..

Ross and Elsie lay awake, staring at the ceiling as they twiddled their thumbs. Both unsure of what to say or how to approach the start of the conversation they knew they had to have.

“Our baby” Elsie sobbed

Ross looked over to Elsie. She -as he was- was broken. Charlie, their only child, had her innocence snatched away from her, and without her consent. Ross moved across the bed to hold Elsie as she sobbed harder and harder, but they were soon shaken from their embrace with one another with the cries coming from Charlie’s room.

“Get off! No… please… no! Get off me Grant….No! ow, you’re hurting me…let go…no!”

“Shhhhhhh!. Its ok” Elsie whispered to Charlie as she grabbed Charlie and brought her close to her chest. Charlie shook as she grabbed on to her mothers arms, trying to rid him from her mind.

“He was there. I felt him” Charlie cried “I felt his hand going up….“ Charlie grabbed the covers from her bed, trying to cover herself as she told her mother “I felt his breath on my face….”

“Shhh, its over. Come here baby” Elsie said as she gently rocked with Charlie in her arms. The terrified teen seeking more and more comfort from Elsie. “I’m here”

THE FOLLOWING DAY

Charlie sat at the dinner table. Not her usually happy, bubbly self. The previous night’s nightmare had obviously been too much for Charlie to handle.

“Charlie” Elsie spoke softly as she took a seat next to her frightened daughter “Your father and I want to get you checked over at the hospital”

“Why” Charlie asked, her voice hoarse from the previous nights cries

“To make sure everything is ok” Elsie replied

“You mean to check that I have caught anything” Charlie replied

“Yes” Elsie replied. Tears welling up in her eyes. “And we also think it may be a good idea for you to see a counsellor”

“Why?” Charlie asked

“Charlie, you were raped. You aren’t coping with this” Charlie turned herself away when she heard the word ‘raped’ “I’m sorry darling. But I just want to help”

“Nothing can help. I can’t sleep on a night without seeing a big proud grin on his face. I can’t be normal again. He took everything from me. I hate him!” Charlie cried before running into her room.

Elsie sat back and watched. Powerless to do anything t ease Charlie’s fragile state.

Ross looked back to Angelo who showed concern for Charlie. "Oh my god"

"I should have done more. Her mother wanted to but.."

"You knew how the courts worked." Angelo finished to which Ross nodded. "I'll help her as much as I can. I promise you that Ross"

Ruby hadn’t made a move from her bed since she and Morag arrived later on in the evening previous to this. The teddy bear she had hold of became more of a comforter to her than anything she had ever had before. She cried hard as she through of Xavier’s betrayal. She trusted him, she told him a delicate secret that was still an uneasy subject in their family. People would by a little nicer to Ruby than they would Charlie; Charlie knew from the first instant that she was Ruby’s mother, therefore Ruby is the victim in a cruel lie. But Ruby -obviously- new differently. What Ross, Elsie and Charlie decided to do sixteen years ago was the best decision; Charlie wouldn’t have been able to give Ruby all that she needed -Charlie would provide the love which was an important factor for Ruby, but she wouldn’t be able to provide Ruby’s other essential needs, Ross and Elsie could-. The more Ruby ran that through her mind, the easier it was to come to terms with the whole revelation.

Now it seemed that Ruby’s relationship with Charlie was going to be easier to get back on track with than the one with Xavier. A knock on the door shook Ruby from her own thoughts.

"Hey" Morag smiled as she opened the door. "Brought you some coco" Morag finished, holding the mug she had hold of up to show Ruby

"Thanks" Ruby replied with a smile that soon vansihed from her face. "Hows Charlie?"

"Still asleep" Morag replied. "I guess everything just caught up with her"

"This is all my fault. I should never have told Xavier. What was I thinking?" Ruby said with a cry

"You were thinking that Xavier could help you through this. Nothing is your fault" Morag replied as she placed her hand on top of Ruby's free hand

"Isn't it? I told Xavier and asked him to keep it to himself, then I leave him and don't talk to him. If I stayed with him, maybe he could have asked me about everything. And then maybe he..."

"Ruby stop. I spoke to Xavier before I found you. Believe me, he wishes he could take what happened back. And I'm sure he would love to have been swallowed up by the ground. I know this is hard to hear, but, maybe you should go and speak to him af.."

"No. I can't. Not after what he did. No. I tursted him. And besides, Charlie needs me here"

"Well, if you had let me finish what I was saying you would have heard me say, after you have had chance to speak to Charlei and find out what you are going to do about this. Everyone will be wondering what happened and if its true. And if I know Colleen, she'll be wanting to be one of the first ones to know"

"I can't imagine what Charlie is thinking right now. Its not as if she hasn't got enought to deal with" Ruby sadly said

"Well, we might not be able to do anything about the court case until the date is sorted, but we can do something over this business with the nosy locals"

"Not to sound rude, but, can I be alone please? I just need time to think" Ruby said to Morag, hoping that she didn't sound too rude

"Its fine. I'll go see what Ross and Angelo are up to"

Morag closed the door to Ruby's room. Placing the mug down on the table beside the bed, Ruby walked over to her school bag. Unzipping it she grabbed the books that she had once read, and now needed to read again.

"How's things with you two?" Morag asked as she entered the room where Angelo and Ross were stood.

"Ok" Ross smiled

"Charlie's still asleep. I hope this does good for her" Angelo added

"I'm sure it will do her the world of good" Morag smiled

"I'm thinking that, Charlie and Ruby need time away from the bay. Or at least until the court hearing" Angelo put out

"What?" Ross asked

"They've been to hell and back, and now they're on their way back there. I think time away from the bay might just be what they need. It'll give them time to talk about things and time to think about what they are going to tell people who were in the diner"

"Firstly, the people in the diner don't really have to know much more. They know enough already. And as for time away, I think that is a great idea. Especially for Charlie" Morag replied

"What's good for me?" Charlie asked as she wandering in to the room.

"Charlie" Angelo smiled

"What's good for me?" Charlie repeated

"Going away for a little while" Angelo answered

"No. I ran away from my problems once before, and look how that turned out" Charlie replied "No, I have to see this through. If not for me, then for Ruby"

"And I'll be stood beside you" Ruby smiled as she stood in to room. "Its my fault that everyone knows. And I want to be there for you Charlie. Until the end"

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments :wub:

Chapter 93

Dex, Indi, Romeo and Nicole all wandered into the diner. As usual, they took the seat closest to the wall so they could see what was going on in the diner and who was coming in and going out.

Colleen, Irene and a couple of regulars were busy away in the kitchen. Leah and Roman weren’t anywhere to be seen.

“Hey Nic” Dex said as he was the last to sit down “Doesn’t your dad work here?”

“Yea” Nicole replied, unsure as to why Dex asked such an obvious question “Why?”

“He’s not here. That’s all” Dex answered

“He has the day off I think. I’m not to sure, I haven’t really seen him much since Charlie was…”

“Outed as Ruby’s mum?” Dex finished

“Dex!” Indi exclaimed

“What?” Dex replied, unsure why Indi was so shocked

“No. I was going to say, I haven’t seen dad since Charlie collapsed that time” Nicole finished.

“Oh, right” Dex said, looking down at the table. “Foot, hi meet mouth” Dex muttered to himself

“So, do you think Xavier will meet us here?” Romeo asked

“I have no idea. But he can’t avoid us for too long. We’re his friends, we can help” Indi replied

“How exactly are we supposed to help?” Nicole wondered

“I don’t know, listen to him, make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid, make sure he knows we’re here for him”

“We will, but, where is he?” Dex said

Xavier stood outside the diner. He had seen Romeo, Dex, Indi and Nicole walk in five minutes previous. He wondered if walking back into the diner was a god idea, he didn’t want everyone crowding him and asking him about what else he knew. It wasn’t his place to say; he might not have been able to keep Ruby’s secret to himself, but he was going to keep everything else Ruby had told him, to himself.

“Hey” A familiar voice from behind said

“Hey Rachel” Xavier replied as he turned around to face Rachel

“How are you?” Rachel asked

“Why does everyone ask me if I’m alright? I’m fine! What about Ruby? And Charlie? Doesn’t anyone wonder how they’re doing?” Xavier snapped

“Look, I know you’re upset, but you can’t keep blaming yourself over what happened. Anyone who had that much pressure on them was bound to crack sooner or later”

“But you haven’t. How have you been able to keep this to yourself?” Xavier asked

“Kept what?” Rachel asked, playing dumb as she knew what Xavier was on about

“Come on. Charlie would have told you everything. She’d have to, you’re her doctor”

“Yes, and as her doctor I have an obligation to uphold confidentiality. If I tell anyone what she has told me, I could loose my job. I’ve has years of practice to keep the pressure away. You’ve had less than a week”

“Ruby trusted me with everything. She bared her soul to me, about what happened to Charlie, how she found out. Everything. I told her that she could trust me. That’d I wouldn’t tell anyone. And now look, I’ve stuffed everything up”

“I know this seems really bad now, but, give Ruby time. She’ll come around. I’m sure she knows deep down that you never meant to hurt her”

“She won’t let me explain” Xavier sobbed

“Listen, I don’t start work for a while, how about you and I take a walk along the beach?” Rachel suggested

“Sure” Xavier replied.

“Mum, can I please have a chocolate milkshake?” VJ asked as he lead the way to the diner

“Erm, sure” Leah replied. “You coming?”

Roman looked to Leah “Yea”

“Stop thinking it Roman” Leah said as she took Roman’s hand

“Thinking what?” Roman asked

“Charlie has Angelo, Ross and Morag with her, I’m sure she’ll be fine”

“I know, its just, I can’t help worrying” Roman replied

“I know, but, for now you’ve got to not think about it” Leah said as she and Roman walked in to the diner.

Roman headed straight for the kitchen. VJ stood by the counter, having his order taken by Colleen, who watched Roman very carefully as he entered the kitchen.

Leah saw the teens sitting at the table. She walked over to them “Hey guys”

“Hey” Romeo voiced as the others smiled

“How are you”

“Good thanks. And you?” Nicole replied

“Yea, good. Look, if there’s anything I can do”

“Yea, we know” Indi smiled

“Hey Leah” Nicole began “How’s dad coping?”

“He’s ok I guess. He just wants to help Charlie, all night he’s been fretting over what he can do to help her”

“Why is he worrying? Charlie has Angelo”

“That’s what I’ve told him. He’s saying that this is the only way he can forgive himself for the way he treated Charlie”

“What? By helping her through this?” Nicole pondered

Leah nodded “I’m worried about him Nic, I don’t want him to relapse or anything”

“I don’t think he will, not matter how bad things get. I’m sure once things calm down and dad has chance to talk to Charlie he’ll be ok”

Ruby paced her room for what seemed to be the millionth time. She was debating whether or to go to school today. She wanted to stay with Charlie; Charlie was showing signs of a breakdown and Ruby blamed herself.

Grabbing her school bag from the foot of the bed, Ruby made her way out into the front room where Ross, Morag, Angelo and Charlie were.

“Morning” Angelo said as he looked to Ruby

“Morning” Ruby replied.

“How are you?” Morag asked as she watched Ruby take a seat next to Charlie.

“I’m ok” Ruby replied as she looked around at everyone’s faces. “Why? What’s going on?” She added as she continued to look to Morag, Ross and Angelo and whilst grabbing Charlie’s shaking hand “Charlie, you’re shaking”

“I’m fine” Charlie lied, her hand shaking even more

“No, no you’re not. What’s going on?” Ruby asked as she looked once more at the three adults standing above her. Each with the same worried look on their face. “Ross?” Ruby said to Ross, but he looked away. “Please, tell me. I have a right to know”

“I got a phone call from Georgina this morning” Angelo began

“Angelo” Ross said as he looked to Angelo

“She deserves to know” Angelo replied to Ross, who caved and allowed Angelo to continue “The court hearing has been postponed from Monday until three weeks”

“What? Why?” Ruby cried

“The judge feels that the witness statements won’t be strong enough to win the case” Morag added

“Why?” Ruby asked as her grip on Charlie’s hand intensified

“Because of your connection to Charlie. You been her daughter and Angelo been her boyfriend.” Morag answered

“We were told that was taken into consideration when the court hearing was put forward. They knew about all of this” Ruby cried

“Rubes, we can still be questioned and our statements will be used, they just want more witnesses to come forward and stand in court” Angelo replied

“What?” Ruby said

“Anyone else who saw what happened that day, needs to be asked if they can testify against those guys. If we had more witnesses, their lawyer can’t pick holes in the statements”

Ruby sniffed “So, Leah, Colleen, Irene, Roman, Romeo, Nicole and..” Ruby trailed off as tears began to fall freely from her eyes

“Yes.” Angelo softly spoke

Charlie remained quiet. She barely moved. Her hands continued to shake in Ruby’s. “We have to do this then” Ruby voiced as she felt the intensity of Charlie’s shaking hands rise

“No, Rubes we don’t” Charlie said, breaking her silence.

“Charlie, its my fault that everyone knows. We can’t control that part of our lives anymore. But we can control this next part. Please, let me help you, I said I’d be with you until the end, and that means the end of all this.” Ruby replied

“I can’t” Charlie cried “I can’t face them”

“We’ll face them together” Ruby replied

“Well, I’d better get back to the kitchen” Leah said as she began to walk back to the kitchen

“Hey, Leah” Romeo said just before Leah vanished

“Yea” Leah replied

“You didn’t see Xavier on your way in did you?”

“No sorry. But I did see Rachel on the beach talking to someone. Maybe it was Xavier” Leah replied

“Ok, thanks” Romeo smiled

“No worries” Leah added before walking back to the kitchen

“Come on” Romeo said as he rose to his feet

“Where are we going?” Nicole asked

“If Xavier won’t come to us, we’ll go to him” Romeo replied

Romeo led the way to the doorway of the diner.

He, Nicole. Indi and Dex all stopped dead when they saw who was stood on the other side.

Ok.... Danni, Sarah, Carina, Sam, Charis, Rach(loveH&A), lino: Dedication or what??? Thank you so much for ALWAYS finding time to comment. It means so much to me :wub::)

Hope this one is ok, I'm not too keen... :unsure:

Chapter 94

Morag and Ross made there way across the road to the courthouse where Charlie’s trial was to be held in three weeks time. Taking with them questions that needed answering and the statements from Rachel, Charlie, Ruby and Angelo. -hoping that the statements of the health care professional who dealt with Charlie’s injuries when she was first admitted to hospital, the statement of one of the many people who saw what happened and the two statements of the two who were injured in the accident- would be enough to bring forward the date and keep the trial to a minimum.

“You ready?” Ross asked as he looked to Morag

“I’m not sure this is going to work Ross. As much I want it to, I don’t think it will” Morag replied, knowing that what she was saying would hurt Ross

“I know that. But, Charlie is my daughter and I have to do something to protect her” Ross continued as he opened the door to the courthouse.

“I know how these things work Ross, appealing directly to the judge very rarely works”

“But it does sometimes?” Ross questioned

“Sometimes” Morag replied

“Ok, so lets see if we are one of those lucky people”

“Aunty Charlie” VJ smiled as he looked over to the doorway of the diner.

“Hey VJ” Charlie replied. Her voice croaky from her cries

“Are you coming over to mum’s house later? I have a new game on WII” VJ smiled

“Maybe VJ, I’ll see what happens” Charlie replied, not wanting to give the youngster false hope

“Cool. Ok, I’ll see you later then Aunty Charlie” VJ smiled once more as he gave Charlie a hug.

Charlie’s heart skipped a beat: Why was it the hug from an innocent child could rid you of all the nasty feeling you were harbouring?

Not wanting to part from the embrace she and her surrogate nephew were having, Charlie looked to Ruby with an uneasy smile. She was ready to ask Leah, Nicole, Romeo, Irene and Colleen for their help, but at the same time, she didn’t. Because she knew they’d want to know about her and Ruby.

“Bye” VJ said as he broke away from Charlie and walked out of the diner completely.

Nicole, Romeo, Indi and Dex continued their fixed gaze on Charlie and Ruby.

“Hey Rubes” Nicole voiced. Wanting to show that nothing had changed between them

“Hey” Ruby replied, her voice too, croaky from her cries

“How’ve you been?” Nicole asked, knowing full well what the answer was going to be

“Not so good. But, I’m ok” Ruby replied

“Its good to see you” Indi smiled

“Thanks” Ruby smiled back.

“Ruby” Xavier whispered from behind.

Ruby turned around slowly to face Xavier. Anger filled her body, but compassion filled part of her heart; she understood the pressure Xavier was under, and that’s why he blurted everything out, but she couldn’t stop herself from feeling let down by him. “Xavier” Ruby replied, not putting much feeling into her reply.

“I am so sorry.” Xavier began. “Both of you. I am really sorry for what I did. I’m such an idiot” Xavier said as he looked to Charlie and Ruby simultaneously

“Xavier, forget it” Ruby spat. “Nothing we can do about it now. I’m angry with you. I trusted you, you promised me you wouldn’t tell anyone.” Ruby continued

“Isn’t their anything I can do?” Xavier begged

Ruby looked to Charlie, as though she was seeking out the answer to the question she and Charlie had spoken about earlier that morning. Charlie nodded, closing her eyes at the specific moment.

“We need your help.” Ruby began “All your help” Ruby added as she looked to Romeo, Xavier, Nicole, Leah, Irene and Colleen

“What about us?” Dex asked, feeling that he was been pushed aside

Romeo shook his head to Dex “What with?” Romeo asked

Charlie flinched. The pain in her leg was returning “Charlie? You ok?” Indi asked as she saw the pained look on Charlie’s face

“I’m fine” Charlie replied. A tear rolled down her face -indicating that she had told a little white lie- “Thanks” Charlie added, noting that Indi hadn’t let what she knew stop her from caring

“No you’re not. Here, sit down” Indi replied, noticing that Charlie was in pain.

Charlie sat herself down on the chair that Indi had pulled out for her. Leah, Irene and Colleen had exited the kitchen and asked the customers to leave the diner for a short while. Dex made himself useful by closing the doors and heading into the kitchen to grab a sandwich that was meant for a customer.

“What can we help with darl?” Irene said as she, Leah and Colleen joined the others.

“My trial has been postponed three weeks. Ruby and Angelo’s statements aren’t going to be strong enough to hold up” Charlie answered

“Why?” Leah asked

“Angelo’s won’t hold up because he and I are a couple” Charlie replied. “And Ruby’s wont because..”

Charlie went quiet. Although she wasn’t ashamed that she was Ruby’s mother, she couldn’t bring herself to say it. Not in front of so many people.

“Because I’m her daughter” Ruby finished, grabbing Charlie’s hand and squeezing it lovingly as she spoke.

Nicole swallowed hard. Although she wanted to know the reasoning behind Charlie and Ruby, she knew that it had to be a delicate subject: after all, sixteen years of been sisters? “What do you need us to do?”

Ruby looked to Nicole and smiled. “Basically go to the police station and tell Constable Watson what you can remember of that day. What happened, what the people looked like, anything that you can remember”

Charlie smiled to herself. How did Ruby find the strength to ask them for their help? All Charlie wanted to do was to close her eyes and pretend none of this ever happened.

Coming to an end soon. Don't know if I should see if I can get to Chapter 100 or maybe 105

Thanks for the comments :wub:

Danni: I have a line in here which has (near enough) the title of your (AMAZING) fic. [Might not be a biggy, but I wanted to let you know xx]

Hope this one's ok. I'm not overly keen on this... :unsure:

Chapter 95

Nicole, Romeo, Xavier, Leah, Roman, Leah, Irene and Colleen had joined Charlie and Ruby at the table. Sitting as they took in what Ruby had asked them to do.

“So three weeks?” Leah voiced

“Yea” Ruby nodded “Angelo won’t tell us why its been postponed, and he can’t tell us, its not his case anymore” Ruby added but had to finish as tears began to appear in her eyes

“But if your’s and Angelo’s statements can’t be used, why do you think ours will stand?” Nicole asked, not fully understanding the situation

Ruby shook her head. She didn’t know the answer “Ruby’s and Angelo’s statements will be used, and Angelo’s will be stronger than Ruby’s because at the time of the accident, Angelo and I weren’t a couple; we were partners.” Charlie began, she wiped the tears from her face. Half were due to the pins and needles sensation she was having in her leg; It felt like pins and needles, but hurt much more than usual, and the other half were due to her not knowing what the outcome of the conversation would be.

“In that case, Roman’s and mine won’t be accepted” Colleen said

“Why do you say that?” Leah asked as she and Roman held onto each others hand for support

“Roman and Charlie were a couple when the accident happened and Charlie and I are related” Colleen replied

Charlie closed her eyes. She didn’t really want that particular piece of information shared. “Roman and I had spilt and you are a distant relative” Charlie replied as she opened her eyes.

“Does this mean we’ll have to go to the court hearing?” Xavier asked, keeping eye contact with both Ruby and Charlie

“Yes” Ruby replied.

“Shall we go now then?” Roman said as he rose to his feet

“I don’t think there’s any rush” Irene replied as she too, rose to her feet

“No, I know. I just want to help Charlie as much as I can” Roman smiled as he placed his hand on top of Charlie’s

Charlie looked up to him and smiled. She couldn’t speak anymore, fearing that if she did, she’d breakdown in tears. “Thank you Roman” Ruby said on Charlie’s behalf.

Ross stormed out of the courthouse. The doors hit the walls either side and the glass shook as the violent bang echoed through the halls.

“All I want to do is help my daughter and grand-daughter. Is that too much to ask?” Ross fumed

“Ross, I know you’re angry, but you need to calm down” Morag said as she took Ross by the hand to assure him she was there

“Calm down? Calm down! You want me to calm down when that judge has told me there is nothing she can do to help with this case? Even after everything I told her? Has she no compassion? No heart? Charlie needs this. She needs this to help her recovery. That’s all I want, for her to finally be happy and to not have to worry about those boys anymore” Ross cried. His pain felt by Morag who watched as Ross fell apart

“Look, Charlie is going to be ok. Angelo is looking out for her, she has you and me there for her and Ruby is been fantastic, she’s been there for Charlie when Charlie needs her. Charlie will be fine”

“I want her to be better than fine. I want her to smile again without it been a huge task. I want her to return to work without fearing another attack like she’s just had, I want her to walk proudly once more; like the beautiful girl she has always been. I hate seeing her like this. That’s not Charlie. I want my Charlie back”

Morag held Ross as he cried out for Charlie. All what he had built up inside over the last few months were coming out right now. All the emotions he’d been hiding, all his fears, his concerns over Charlie and of Ruby. Morag couldn’t say anything that would snap Ross out of his self-loathing, all she could do was offer a shoulder to cry on and be there for the support he would need whilst he cry.

Indi and Dex walked to the bus stop.

“Do you think it was a bit harsh of them to not include us?” Indi asked as she leant against the pole

“Well, did you see what happened? Did you see the people who did this? Did you?” Dex asked as he got in Indi’s face

Indi pushed him away “No”

“Well, there you go.” Dex replied as he placed a straw in his mouth and pretended to smoke

“Yea, but, what if they needed some support? We can give that” Indi continued

“Indi. I think its great you’re worrying. But, at the same time, you yourself saw how uncomfortable Charlie looked. You said she looked as if she wanted to runaway from the diner and never look back”

“Yea, well she did, and I can understand why. Everyone knows that Ruby is her daughter and we didn’t exactly find out in a way that was good. Maybe Charlie and Ruby wanted to tell us in their own time. Maybe there’s more to this whole thing than what everyone thinks” Indi replied

“I think you may have just answered your own question there” Dex smiled as he pointed to Indi with his straw

“Maybe. But, Ruby is a friend. I want to help her” Indi said

“Are you sure?” Dex asked

“Yes.” Indi replied

“So you don’t want to know the real reason why there was this huge lie?” Dex asked

“No. I really don’t” Indi replied

Dex looked to Indi. He could see she was telling the truth “Are you sure we’re related?” Dex asked as he looked to Indi some more

“Why do you ask that?”

“Because I’m dying to know. Right now, I’m using all my power to stay right here and not follow them to the police station and ask them what the reason is. I really am” Dex replied

“Dex, you really can be insensitive sometimes” Indi replied

Sid and Marilyn pulled up alongside the bus stop in the car. Sid rolled the window down and Indi and Dex walked toward the car

“Hey you two. Want a lift?” Sid asked

“Yes” Dex and Indi replied in unison

“Wait a minute. I thought you were going with Romeo and those guys” Sid asked as the back doors closed

“We were, but then the law caught up with them” Dex replied

“What?” Marilyn asked as she turned around quickly to face Dex

“Ruby asked if it was ok for them to go to the station and make a statement on what happened the day Charlie and Angelo were crushed by the boat” Indi replied “Irene, Mrs. Smart, Leah and Roman have gone too”

“Oh dear. That doesn’t sound too good does it? Why do they have to go?”

As the police station drew closer, Charlie's pace became slower. Romeo, Roman, Irene, Collee, Nicole, Ruby and Xavier continued to head toward the station, unaware that Charlie had nearly stopped. Only Leah noticed that her friend had stopped.

"Hey what's tha matter?" Leah asked as she apporached Charlie and saw the tears stream from her face

"I can't.. I can't do this Leah. I thougt I could but I just can't" Charlie cried

Leah took Charlie in her arms. "Do what?" Leah asked in hushed tone

"Face going through all this agian. Seeing those people, having questions asked that I just don't have the strength to answer" Charlie replied, her voice barely audible over her sobs

"Listen, you won't get asked questions you can't answer. And I'm sure Angelo is doing everything he can to make sure you don't have to face the people who did this to you" Leah replied

"How can you be so sure of that?" Charlie asked as she wiped the tears from her face

"Angelo loves you so much; anyone can see that, and becasue he loves you, he'll be making sure that you don't have to see them. Even if it means hiding you behind a curtain or something until they leave. Angelo won't let you see them, I'm certain of that"

Charlie loked to Leah. Why do I deserve such a great friend like Leah? "What about you. All of you. When you were listening to Ruby, wasn't there just a little bit of you that was curious?"

"About what?" Leah asked

Charlie cocked her head and looked to Leah "Really?"

"Ok, maybe everyone wants to know, but I'm not one of them. So what? Ruby is your daughter. Its not the end of the world. Just ignore Colleen, Irene and I have for the last few weeks and she's not bothered us since"

Charlie began to cry again "Charlie no" Leah said as she pulled Charlie close to her "Its alright"

Charlie pulled away from Leah. "Its not just Colleen. Its everyone. I can't help feeling that I've let so many people down just by not telling them how Ruby is my..is my daughter. I could barely tell Ruby. And she's my daughter. I can't believe how amazing she's been. Angelo too. And Morag, and what about dad? He's been through all this just as much as I have. Why can they cope with all this and I can't? Why can they still smile when they see people? Why can they move forward in their lives and I'm still standing. Looking on at this" Charlie questioned as she hit her right leg.

"You'll get there. Charlie, you've been through a lot in the last six months. You've barely had chance to get over one thing and then you've had another thing on top of that. If you were coping with this I'd be worried. And listen, you've still got me, I'm not going anywhere. I can help, I'll listen and help as much as I can" Leah smiled as she placed her hands on each of Charlie's arms. "And the first thing I'm going to do to help, is to go into that police station"- Leah points to the station, Charlie looks over her shoulder and looks too, sighing as she knew what she needed to do, but not really wanting to do it -"And tell Constable Watson what I saw, and how they should be thrown in jail and forgotten about"

Charlie turned back to face Leah. "Thank you"

"For what?" Leah asked, not wanting to be thanked as she felt it was what friends did

"For everything. I'm sorry I never told you about Ruby. I should have done. Maybe I wouldn't be so messed up" Charlie smiled "YOu may have been a great help"

"I can still be you know" Leah replied "Its up to you. I'm here for you, just like you have been for me and for VJ. I'll be here for you until you don't need me anymore"

"I'll always need you Leah" Charlie smiled as she hugged her friend

I've just thought of how much further I'm going to take this. With everything I've got going on in my head regarding 'I'll be with you until the end' It could be a few more chapters. (Maybe more than 105) But lets see how things go...

Ok, I'm just going to say once more how much I love reading your comments. It means so much that you've taken time to write me a comment. I really appriciate them and they do make me smile. Charis; thank you SO mcuh for the long reply on what you liked about each chapter that you missed during your Speech Day. :wub: Danni, Sarah, Carina, Scotcaz22 and lino, thank you for always commenting and picking out pieces that you have liked. :wub:

So, this is a kind of different set-up, I'm not too sure about this one :unsure:

There are some clues in to get your decteive side showing.... :ph34r::blink:

Chapter 96

Leah and Charlie pulled away from each other and continued to look at one another. Three years of friendship these two had; and never once had they judged each other or never been there for each other:

Leah remembered when she found out that Vinnie had actually died and how supportive Charlie was to her. Charlie took three weeks off work and sat with Leah as she cried, bargained and prayed for Vinnie. She remembered hugging herself all the time to shield herself from the pain; something Charlie broke her out of by opening her arms and moving in for a hug, Leah happily fell into Charlie’s arms; and cried the remained of the tears she had building up inside of her. Charlie was so great, she cleaned, cooked, took care of VJ when he got a stomach bug, took him to school every day (Which is why VJ now calls Charlie ’Aunty Charlie’). Charlie was a great help -a sister Leah was never given by her parents- Leah never asked for Charlie’s help, Charlie just gave it, and for that, Leah knew that her friendship with Charlie was something she would hold onto dearly for as long as she could.

Charlie remembered how Leah was there for her when she and Roman had their first of many arguments: Even with the love she felt for Roman she was still a huge help to Charlie.

“Leah?” Charlie asked as she looked to the police stations door

“Yea?” Leah replied as she stepped forward so she was stood next to Charlie

“Can I tell you something?” Charlie answered as she tucked a fly away piece of hair behind her ear

“Yea, sure” Leah replied as she placed her hand on top of Charlie’s

Charlie was just about to speak when “Charlie? Are you alright?” Ruby asked as she walked back out of the police station

Charlie closed her eyes, bit her lip and then re-opened her eyes “I’m fine. Why?” Charlie replied

“Nothing, its just, Nicole has just gone into the room to talk to Georgie. I didn’t know if you wanted to wait with me and the others in the reception” Ruby said as she walked over to Charlie and Leah

“Can you give me a minute?” Charlie said as she looked to Ruby

“You sure? Your leg isn’t bothering you is it?” Ruby asked, concerned for Charlie and why she was been a little stand-offish

“No my legs fine. I just…..I just need some fresh air, that’s all” Charlie smiled, looking to Ruby with a glint of happiness in her eye.

“Ok, well, if you’re sure” Ruby replied with a smile and began to turn to face the station

“I’m sure” Charlie replied.

Ruby smiled once more and headed back into the station. Leah and Charlie watched as she entered the station and disappeared from view.

Leah looked back to Charlie, whose gaze was still firmly on the door where Ruby had just walked

“Charlie?” Leah asked “You ok?”

“I’m fine” Charlie replied as she slowly turned her head to face Leah.

“What did you want to tell me?” Leah asked.

Georgie placed a cup on the table in front of Nicole. Nicole -looking very nervous- played with her fingers and didn’t make eye contact with Georgie or the other officers that were in the room.

“Do they have to be here?” Nicole asked, still not looking at Georgie

“I’m sorry, but they have to be. I know this is uncomfortable for you, but, it will help Charlie’s case. What ever you tell me will be fine. This isn’t an interrogation this is finding out what you saw on the day of the accident” Georgie said to Nicole, placing her hand briefly on top Nicole’s to show this was a friendly chat

Nicole nodded her head. “Its still all fuzzy” She began

“Just say what you can remember”

“Erm…Ruby, Romeo, Xavier and I were going to the diner for something to eat. We saw Charlie and Angelo walk away from the diner….They were walking along the beach…….Charlie looked like she was crying or upset about something….My dad, Roman, followed Charlie and Angelo along the beach.. He was shouting something, I don’t know what…and then Leah, Irene and Colleen all appeared on the beach, following Charlie and Angelo. Next thing I remember, Charlie and Angelo are under a boat…Ruby was screaming…..Romeo and Xavier went to help get the boat away…and I just did nothing…..I stood and watched and did nothing…” Nicole began to cry, the shock of seeing what happened washed over Nicole once more; Her tears became uncontrollable.

“Ok, that’s enough. Listen, I know that was hard to do, but, thank you.” Georgina said as she looked to Nicole. “You going to be ok?”

Nicole nodded.

Romeo sat in the seat opposite Georgie.

“We were going to the diner, Xavier, |Ruby Nicole and I. We got to a few feet away and we saw Charlie, Angelo and Roman having a fight, I don’t know if it was a fight, it sure looked like one. Then, I don’t know, I guess Charlie heard something, because she turned around pretty quick and headed to the boat shed. Angelo followed. Then I saw a woman, or I think it was a woman, and she pushed the boat. Next thing I know, Ruby is screaming and Roman ran to help. Xavier and I followed, but the boat was too heavy. I didn’t see where those guys went, but if I did, I would have chased after them” Romeo remembered. He made his hand into a fist; remembering the rage that built up inside him as he watched two innocent police officers been attacked like that.

Xavier sat in the seat opposite Georgie.

“I heard a noise. I guess Charlie and Angelo heard it as well, because they grabbed their guns and headed for the boat shed. And that’s when she appeared. From behind the boat. I don’t know how she did it, but she moved the boat and it rolled on top of them. It was sick to see the look on her face. I could see the grin on her face as I ran to the boat. Roman and Romeo were there too, Romeo looked as if he could have hit something, Roman was just wanting to get Charlie out. I didn’t see where they ran off too. I’m sorry” Xavier remembered

“Its fine, don’t be sorry. Look, what you’ve remembered has been a great help. You can go join the rest of them if you like”

Roman sat opposite Georgina.

“I don’t know exactly what it was, but it sounded like a chest or something closing. You know? Like a storage thing? I guess that’s what Charlie heard. She and Angelo grabbed their guns and snuck to the boat. Charlie said something to Angelo and pointed. I don’t know, maybe she recognised them? Anyway, next thing I know, adrenaline kicks in: I’m seeing a boat run over Charlie and Angelo, and the woman running off. Romeo, Xavier and I tried to move the boat, but it was too heavy. Three men couldn’t move it, how can one woman move it?” Roman told Georgina

“Can you remember anything else?” Georgie asked

Roman shook his head “Sorry”

“Its fine. All thins helps” Georgie said as she pointed to the notes she had made.

Colleen nervously lowered herself into the seat.

“Well, All I can tell you is that Senior Constable Buckton and Constable Risotto are lucky to be alive. In my day, if something like that happened, they’d be dead”

“Mrs. Smart, Please? Back to what I asked” Georgie said as she rubber her temple

“Senior Constable Buckton and Constable Risotto were have an altercation with Roman. Then Constable Risotto and Senior Constable Buckton went towards the boat, I think they must have heard something, because I didn’t see anything, and I’m good for seeing things. I saw that woman push that boat on top of Senior Constable Buckton and Constable Risotto. It was horrible, Irene called an ambulance and Roman and young Xavier and young Romeo went to move the boat. Oh, it was awful waiting for them to be rescued” Colleen remembered

“Do you remember anything else?” Georgie asked

“No” Colleen shook her head.

Irene sat in the seat. Still warm from Colleen.

“Ruby was a mess, Nicole didn’t know what to do and I had no idea how to help. Everything happened so fast; Charlie was stood talking to Roman with Angelo beside her and the next, Angelo and Charlie walked toward the boat, guns out looking for the source of the noise we heard.”

“Can you remember what that noise was?” Georgie asked

“It sounded like something closing. Like a box or a chest or something”

“Did you see what the woman or the men looked like?”

“She had blonde hair, the roots were black though” Irene replied

Charlie and Leah sat on the bench near to the station. Tears ran down Charlie’s face: Happy and sad ones.

“Charlie” Leah said. Her voice filled with compassion

“I just…I hated myself for so long afterwards. I hated seeing him everyday at school, I hated that my mum were getting called mum by my daughter. I hated myself for what happened. Ruby never deserved any of this”

“Hey, neither did you. You were so young” Leah replied as she ran her hand through Charlie freely-blowing hair. “Come here” Leah added as she pulled her friend close for a hug. “You know, you didn’t have to tell me”

Charlie pulled away “I know. But I wanted to.” Charlie smiled “It wont change what happened and it wont make me change how I feel about everything that happened. But, ever since I told Angelo and Ruby, I’ve seemed to have coped with it better. Dad, mum and Aunty Michelle were the only ones who knew about it. And when mum died, I knew that it was one less person to confide in”

“I just can’t believe that you’ve been able to be this strong. After everything that’s happened, you’re still the strongest person I know”

“I’m not. I can’t keep things together. I cry on a night, once Angelo has gone and everyone’s asleep. I cry. I can’t keep fighting this, I can’t keep pretending that I’m ok when I know I’m not. If I had known that I’d feel like this after the accident, I would have chosen to di…”

“Don’t even say it. Don’t even think it. Charlie Buckton you are stronger than this. You’ve walked with those crutches months before the doctors said you would. You were out of hospital sooner than the doctors first said. You will beat this. Ruby needs you, Angelo needs you, Ross does, Morag does, we all need you Charlie. We love you and we all know that this isn’t going to stop you” Leah cut Charlie off, tears rolled down her face when she heard that Charlie was thinking about her dying would have saved her from this pain she was feeling. It wasn’t just her walking or the pins and bars in her leg: It was the emotional side of everything; the trauma from the warehouse, the visual of the boat coming toward her, the felling of been trapped underneath the boat. “Promise me you’ll fight this”

Charlie looked to Leah. “I promise” Charlie whispered.

Thank you so much for the comments. I love reading then and am so grateful that you comment. :wub:

This is sort of a filler?? If you want to call it that..Its mainly the aftermath of Charlie?Leah talk and how Charlie has used that in her recovery and how Georgina is doing with the case.... Hope its ok.... :(:unsure:

Chapter 97

After looking over the statements from everyone for what seemed the hundredth time, Georgie put the lid back on her pen and put it in the holder at the top of the desk. Sitting back in the chair, she ran her hands through her hair and sighed heavily. It had been a long day -seven interviews in a space of two hours- and her day still wasn’t over. Avary had called an hour earlier requesting the night off, Angelo then had to be called to come in and help on a case which he wasn’t allowed to be apart off. Georgina wasn’t used to coping with all of this. She was use to Charlie been there, leading all the officers in their work and running the station. A lone tear rolled down her face when she looked to the first picture of Charlie in the file that was open on the desk. It showed just how badly Charlie had been injured in the accident. Looking at the picture gave Georgina the sudden boost she was craving so badly. She rose to her feet, taking with her the file that had been compiled ever since Charlie and Angelo were first attacked at the warehouse, and headed into the reception area where Angelo, Ross and Morag were stood waiting. Angelo was dressed in his uniform, looking miserable at the thought of leaving Charlie behind at the house. He knew Charlie had Ruby, Leah and Irene with her, but he felt that his place was -at this moment in time- was next to Charlie.

“Ross. Morag. What can I do for you?” Georgie asked as she looked to them with a confused look on her face

“We’ve just come from the courthouse.” Morag replied “We haven’t been able to change the date of the hearing. Apparently there hasn’t been enough evidence gathered”

Ross stood, clenching his fists together, draining them of blood.

“I think we could get the date moved forward now.” Georgie replied as she held the file up “Leah, Irene, Colleen, Roman, Nicole, Romeo and Xavier have just been in giving me statements on what they saw the day of the accident”

“Will it help?” Ross asked as he unclenched his fists and took the file from Georgie

“Its should. Given the seven statements we now have on top of Charlie’s, Angelo’s and Ruby’s. Not to mention the hospital report of Charlie’s injuries and the photographic evidence we also have” Morag replied, using her knowledge to answer Ross’ question

“I can get on the phone right now and talk to the judge. There are no guarantees, but the date could be put back to this Monday or sometime this next week”

Angelo smiled to himself. Something inside him was screaming at him to get on the phone and ring Leah’s house so that he could tell Charlie the news. But the rational part of him knew that if he did tell Charlie, any changes would cause more blows to Charlie, and he couldn’t allow that to happen. “Listen, I’d better get doing something. Can you ring me and let me know how things turn out?” Angelo asked as he placed his hand on Ross’ back. Ross nodded, still reading the file in his hands.

Angelo laughed slightly before heading into the office to grab the keys for the patrol car. “Come on then Kent” Angelo said as he looked to the officer he was going on a patrol with.

“And is that the only one?….Yes I understand that…..seven extra, plus what we had at the start……yes….I understand….thank you so much…..ok, bye” Georgie placed the phone back on the receiver. Smiling, Georgie looked back to Ross and Morag. Who -upon seeing the smile present on Georgie’s face- smiled too.

“I take it we have the date moved?” Ross asked

“Yes, its not on the Monday though” Georgie replied

“That doesn’t matter. When is it?” Morag asked

“Thursday and Friday” Georgina replied as she took the file back from Ross

“Thursday and Friday?” Ross repeated

“Yes, due to the extent of damage that was done, and the fact that there is a connection between the warehouse attack and this, there’s a lot of ground to cover. We’re just covering all our bases, making sure that these people get put away for a long time. What they have do to Angelo and Charlie should never have happened. Not twice”

“You know, pots don’t been liked watched. Same goes for me” Charlie said as she looked to Roman, Leah, Irene and Ruby. Who were all looking at her and watching for any signs that she wasn’t ok. “I’m fine”

“Really? Because you can tell us you know” Roman replied as he placed his hand on Charlie’s. Leah flinched as she saw the connection between their hands.

Charlie smiled before pulling her hand away “I know you’re all just looking out for me, but I’m fine. Leah’s chat really helped”

Leah smiled “I’m here Charlie, I’ve told you that”

“So am I darl” Irene smiled as she reached over and placed her hand on Charlie’s and stroked it with her thumb.

Charlie smiled. She felt lucky to have the love and support of her friends around her. But she felt -in some way- compelled to tell them the truth, the reason why Ruby is her daughter and why there was a huge lie involved.

“I need a drink, any one want one?” Ruby perked up as she rose to her feet

“Yea, I’d love on thanks” Leah smiled

“Me too darl” Irene replied

“I’ll give you a hand” Roman said as he rose to his feet. He and Ruby left the front room and entered the kitchen, leaving Irene and Leah with Charlie; if anyone could make sure that Charlie wasn’t hiding anything more, it was these two.

“Now, you sure you’re ok?” Irene asked as she and Leah moved to sit on either side of Charlie

“At first, I wasn’t, but now I am. I guess, because I haven’t looked at those pictures for such a long time, it shocked me. I didn’t realise how bashed I was” Charlie replied

“But look at you now ay? Able to stand and walk. All the bruises are gone” Irene smiled

“Not all of them” Charlie replied as she placed her hand on her leg

“That’ll go in time” Irene replied as she placed her hand on top of Charlie’s “And then all of this will be over, and you can go back to been how you were before. And you and Angelo can actually be a proper couple”

“You mean, be able to hold hands when we go for a walk” Charlie smiled

“That too” Leah smiled

Charlie, Irene and Leah fell silent.

“Thanks” Charlie voiced, breaking the silence. “For everything”

Irene and Leah said nothing; they only looked to Charlie and smiled before wrapping their arms around Charlie and holding her in a hug-sandwich.

The following day

Charlie was the first to awake to the new day that was a Thursday. Little known to her that in one weeks time, all of what she has been through would be starting to be over.

Easing herself out of bed, she grabbed the crutches that were resting on the wall beside the top of the bed and pushed herself out of bed and began to walk to the door.

Making her way slowly into the kitchen, Charlie put the kettle on and placed some coffee in her cup. She then poured the water into the cup and stirred. Looking down to the ground, and then to her crutches and then to her leg, Charlie wondered how she was going to manage walking back into the front room with a drink and two crutches.

After weeks of people doing things for her, Charlie found this the perfect chance to prove to everyone and herself, that she wasn’t a burden on them and that she was capable of beating all of her anxieties that had built up inside her.

Charlie began by leaning the crutch she used in her left hand against the wall. She then took the cup in her now free left hand and slowly began to make her way back into the front room.

Each step was a task; never had Charlie used one crutch, and never had she tried to do something this big without the aid of someone just in case something went wrong.

Slowly, Charlie got the hang of relying solely on the one crutch. She found it easy to put some weight on her leg; it hurt, but not as much as she thought it would, it felt like all the blood was rushing back to her leg after sitting on it for an extended period of time. As she reached the couch, Charlie smiled and placed her cup on the table. She then made her way around to the from of the couch and lowered herself down.

Ruby and Angelo smiled to themselves as they watched Charlie smile to herself and lean forward to grab the cup of coffee that she had managed to carry through by herself.

“Well done” Angelo said, not wanting to startle Charlie as she raised the cup to her mouth

“Angelo. Ruby” Charlie choked “How long have you been there?”

“I’ve only just got out of bed” Ruby said with a yawn as she scratched her head

“I saw you through the window. I know I should have knocked, but I saw you walking and I didn’t want you to stop. It was amazing” Angelo smiled as he walked toward Charlie

“I can’t believe that I did it” Charlie said, been modest

“Charlie, you can do this. Nothing like this will ever hold you back, and from what Ruby and I have just seen, you’ll be back at work in no time” Angelo smiled

Charlie awkwardly smiled. She was grateful that Angelo had such a huge amount of belief in her, but she didn’t want to agree; she couldn’t see that part of her life ever been the way it was before the accident. “So, you just finished work then?”

“Yea. Kent and I saw nothing on the patrol. And he couldn’t tell any funny jokes” Angelo replied

“I’m getting some toast. Angelo? Charlie? Do you want some toast?” Ruby asked as she rubbed her eyes

“No I’m good thanks” Angelo replied

“No thank you” Charlie smiled

“More for me then” Ruby replied before heading into the kitchen.

Charlie and Angelo sat in silence. It wasn’t an awkward silence, it was the type of silence where the action spoke louder than the words ever could: They gazed into each others eyes with wide smiles on their faces.

“Morning” Leah sleepily said as she walked out of her room.

“Morning” Charlie and Angelo replied in unison

“Angelo? You going to work already?” Leah asked as she looked to the clock on the cupboard

“No, I’ve just finished. About fifteen minutes ago” Angelo replied

“Oh, right” Leah said “So, how did you sleep last night Charlie? Were you comfy enough?”

Charlie laughed “I slept like a baby for the first time in ages”

“Really? That’s great” Angelo replied

“Why?” Leah asked

“Well, I asked Rachel a few weeks ago about Charlie sleeping pattern” Charlie gave Angelo a look “It was after that night in hospital where you screamed for two hours straight and had interrupted sleep for ages”

“I don’t remember that” Charlie replied

“Ruby does. Bless her, she was asleep in the chair next to you when that happened” Angelo continued

“And me sleeping through is a sign that things are normal with me” Charlie concluded

“Yea.”

“Why do you think that is then?” Leah asked

“Why do you think what is then?” Ruby asked as she walked in the room, carrying with her a drink and some toast

“Charlie slept through” Angelo smiled

“Why do I get the feeling that I’m like a baby here?” Charlie said as she looked to Leah

Leah shook her head. “Don’t know”

“What were you going to sat Angelo?” Ruby asked

“Well, Charlie told Leah about.. Well, you know… and the night after that, Charlie has been able to sleep” Angelo replied. “What exactly did you tell her?” Angelo asked Leah

“I told her that she was loved by everyone around her and that we would all support her through all of this” Leah answered

“I’m just glad it worked” Ruby smiled as she sat beside Charlie.

“Me too” Charlie replied.

Archived