I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

ok, firstly, I would like to say thank you so much everyone for commenting I love that you take time to read and to comment, and I love reading your comments.

Charis: I had to have a chuckle at your comment. About London and everything :lol: Bless ya

And, I have done my adding wrong. This was going to be the second to last chapter, but, I forgot to put a couple of things in there when I was counting, so there are either 2/3 chapters left. Sorry! lol.

Anyway: Hope you like this chapter,

Chapter 108

Angelo stared at the screen. He couldn’t see where the baby was, but he could hear the faint sound of the heartbeat.

Ruby stood motionless as she looked to the screen. She heard the heartbeat, and she saw how happy Angelo was, but she didn’t know what to think. She didn’t know what to say.

Charlie was still layed on the bed. She didn’t know where to look. She didn’t know what to think.

“Can you tell how far along she is?” Angelo asked happily

Rachel smiled “Well, judging on the heartbeat rate I would say not very far along”

“You can’t be more specific?” Angelo asked

“No. Not unless you can remember the last time you…erm….” Rachel began, not wanting to ask the actual question

“Oh, two weeks” Angelo replied, still smiling

“Well, two weeks” Rachel replied.

“Erm, so does this mean I can’t have the x-rays?” Charlie asked

“You can have the x-rays, but it just means that we will have to keep a closer eye on the development of the baby to make sure there aren’t any early signs of any disabilities”

Charlie nodded. “So, when’s my x-ray?”

Nicole walked into the diner and walked to the table where Romeo, Xavier, Dex and Indi were sitting.

“You haven’t seen Ruby have you?”

“No why?” Xavier asked

“I went by her house this morning and she’s not there. She didn’t have anything on today did she?” Leah walked passed the table with some orders for another table “Hey Leah?” Nicole said “Do you know where Ruby has gone?”

“Yea, actually, its Charlie’s appointment at the hospital to find out about her leg. Ruby and Angelo have gone with her”

“Oh right. Thanks” Nicole replied

“No worries” Leah replied as she continued to work

“Why do you want to know where Ruby was?” Romeo asked

“Just, the talk we had last night” Nicole replied

“The talk?” Xavier repeated

“Yea. She and Charlie have been sorting out where they stand and how their relationship is going. And, she wasn’t too sure if everything was going right”

“What is she on a bout? I saw them on the beach the other day and if I didn’t know any better, I’d say they were back to their normal goofy selves” Xavier replied

“Goofy selves? Really?” Romeo asked, surprised with the choice of words.

“You know what I mean” Xavier replied “Why is she worrying about it?”

“Maybe she’s just trying to get her head around the fact that things have changed. That Charlie is her mum and not her sister. And I think because everything is going well, she’s worried all that will just go”

“I don’t think it will. They’ve come too far to go back now” Xavier replied

The car ride home was interesting.

Ruby sat in the back, staring out of the window, just like Charlie was doing in the front. Angelo smiled ear to ear as he drove them home.

“I want to hold the baby now. God, why do we have to know so early? I want to meet her. Or him” Angelo smiled “What colour can we paint the baby’s room? We need to think of all that. I need to get started with all that. Wow, I’m going to be a dad. Wow. We need a car seat, and everything. Only the best will do. I can’t wait to hold my baby. I want her now. Or him”

Ruby couldn’t help but smile at Angelo’s little chattering outburst. He was so excited about been a dad, and why wouldn’t he be?

Ruby then looked to Charlie. She saw the worried look on Charlie’s face. She saw the tear fall from her eye. She saw Charlie’s hand go to her face to wipe the tear away.

“What about names for the baby? I have so many. But which one to choose? God, this is so hard. Is she a girl? Or is he a boy? I want to know. When can we find out? Can we find out? No I want it to be a surprise. Or do I?” Angelo continued to ramble as he pulled into the drive. Charlie was first out of the car and into the house. Angelo was too busy in his own thoughts to notice.

Charlie sat on her bed, clutching onto a one of her pillows. A faint knock at the door was heard.

“Charlie?” Ruby said as she opened the door.

Charlie looked up to Ruby as Ruby walked closer to the bed. “Hey”

“What’s wrong?” Ruby asked

“Nothing” Charlie lied

“Charlie, come on” Ruby replied as she sat beside Charlie “Something’s wrong”

Charlie wiped her face. “I can’t do all this”

“All what?” Ruby replied. Charlie looked down to the ground. “Charlie, if you’re worried about us, don’t be”

“But I am. These last two weeks have been great. Its like, everything has gone back to the way it was before, and , I don’t want to loose that. I can’t loose that”

“Charlie, you’re not going to loose me”

“Aren’t I? Because, after the operation, I’ll have to take things easy for the baby wont I? I’ll have little time to spend with you and that’s something I don’t want to happen”

“Charlie, that’s not going to happen. Yea, ok, when I heard the heartbeat I was a little jealous, because I knew that you’d have to focus on the baby, but…”

“Ruby, I will do everything I can to keep this going. Even if it means you and me vegging out in front of the TV for the next nine months. I’m not giving up on this. I can’t and I wont loose you” Charlie replied.

“You won’t loose me Charlie” Ruby smiled as she wrapped her arms around Charlie “I’ll be with you until the end, remember”

Charlie, Angelo and Ruby were sitting on the couch, talking about Charlie’s impending operation and what would happen the couple of months after.

“Well, I can take time off work to look after you” Angelo said

“And I can get someone to make notes for me at school, so, I can be around to help”

“Ok no. Angelo, you’re not missing work and Ruby, you certainly aren’t missing any more school. You’ve missed enough because of me already” Charlie butted in

“Charlie, you will have just had one of the bars removed, you won’t be able to walk” Angelo said as he looked to Charlie

“So? I’ll find a way to get around. I don’t have to walk” Charlie replied, noticing how ridiculous her statement was “I heard it” She added as Angelo and Ruby looked at her. “I don’t want to fussed over. I’ve just got my independence back and I don’t want to go back to relying on you two. Its not fair”

“Ok, what if I said I’m only looking out for you for the sake of my baby? Will that change your mind?” Angelo smiled

“About that. Angelo, can we not tell anyone about the baby yet? At least not until I’ve had the operation and I know everything is alright” Angelo nodded sadly.. “Thanks” Charlie smiled as she placed her hand on top of Angelo’s.

“So, what else did the doctor tell you?” Ruby asked

“Erm, well, they’ll be able to see what’s going on a lot better once they can see the bars, so, I guess they’ll make the call then” Charlie answered

“Do you think they could take all three out at once?” Ruby asked “I know they wont be able to, but you never know. And Rachel said herself that the improvement in your mobility have been great”

“I’d love it if all three could come out at once. At least that’ll be two less things to worry about, but, there’s all these assessments that need to be done” Charlie replied

“I just can’t believe one bar is coming out. I thought they’d be in longer then they have been” Angelo said as he took Charlie’s hand

Charlie was just about to speak again when she heard her father’s voice.

“Hello?” Ross shouted as he knocked on the door.

“Hi dad” Charlie shouted as Ruby and Angelo looked to the doorway.

Morag and Ross entered the room and saw that they had interrupted a conversation “Sorry, have we interrupted something?” Morag asked

Angelo wanted to tell them, everything in him was telling him to say something about the baby; anything that would suggest that Charlie was pregnant. But he knew why Charlie wanted to wait. He knew she was right; if they told everyone and something went wrong during the operation, they’d have to tell everyone what happened.

“No” Charlie smiled as Ross kissed Charlie’s forehead. He then walked over to Ruby and kissed her on her forehead. “We were just talking about what’s going to happen after the operation”

“Yea, how did the appointment go?” Morag asked, realising that the appointment was today

“Yea, good. Erm, the operation is on Friday, and they’re going to assess my leg then as well” Charlie answered

“Friday? That’s quick” Morag replied

“The doctor said the sooner they can do the surgery, the better it would be for Charlie and her recovery” Angelo added

Morag and Ross sat with Charlie, Ruby and Angelo for over two hours. Talking about how well Charlie had recovered from the accident and how these final operations would close this chapter in Charlie’s life. Ross kept looking at Charlie; amazed with the strength she had found over the last eight months since the accident, and especially with everything that happened with Ruby.

Morag glanced at her watch and noticed that Leah would be home soon with VJ after school. She and Ross said their goodbyes and left Charlie, Ruby and Angelo sitting in the front room.

“Well, I need to go do a couple of things at the station. I’ll be back in a couple of hours or so” Angelo said as he kissed Charlie and rose to his feet. He said bye to Ruby before leaving the house.

“Charlie? You ok?” Ruby asked as she looked to Charlie

“I’m just tired, that’s all” Charlie replied

“Are you sure?” Ruby asked

“Yes, can you stop fussing?” Charlie snapped, causing Ruby to pull her hand away from Charlie’s hand “Sorry, Rubes. I didn’t mean to snap”

“I know” Ruby replied as she placed her hand back on Charlie’s “Its getting used to things that’s the problem”

“Everything is so straight forward for Angelo. All I need is to have the operation, rest, have the baby and then we’re going to be ok. But, its not like that, well, at least not for me”

“Angelo’s just really excited about the baby Charlie, you can’t really blame him” Ruby smiled “And, once Friday has been and gone, maybe you turn that tear into a happy tear” Charlie looked to Ruby “I saw you wipe your face in the car. And I know how quiet you were when Rachel told you”

“I was shocked” Charlie replied

“No you weren’t”

“Yes I was. Angelo and I have only slept together once. And before you say it, yes I know it only takes one time, but, I thought I’d at least get chance to have no bars in my leg and have some sort of relationship sorted with you before a baby happened”

“Ok, so, there’s a little glitch. It wont stop us from hanging out will it? It wont stop us going out shopping and spending time together will it?” Charlie shook her head “Well, there’s your answer” Ruby smiled.

“Thanks Rubes” Charlie smiled

“For what?” Ruby replied

“I needed that” Charlie smiled as she wrapped her arms around Ruby and embraced in a hug.

Friday

Ruby sat in class. Staring at the clock on the wall. She fiddled with her pen so the ends hit the table alternatively. Miles kept looking at Ruby, trying to ignore the irritating sound that came from her desk. Miles knew why Ruby was staring at the clock, and he knew that Ruby would much rather be at the hospital then in double math, but, she didn’t have permission to leave school grounds.

“Ruby? As much fun as it is to hear you play that delightful tune, algebra is in great need of your attention” Miles said, gripping his cup as the sound got to him

“Sorry” Ruby said as she looked down at her desk and to the book that was open in front of her.

“Rubes” A voice from behind whispered. Ruby turned around to find Xavier pushing a piece of paper toward her. Ruby took the paper and opened it out

can we talk after class? Its important

Ruby turned around to face Xavier and nodded.

Angelo, Ross and Morag sat in the waiting room. All anxious and waiting for news on Charlie. Doctors had told them that the operation should take an hour and a half. With the waiting they had done, they thought the operation was nearing the end. When Angelo looked at his watch, he noticed it had only been half an hour.

“I hate waiting” Angelo sighed

“Don’t we all” Morag replied

“Angelo, if you stop looking at your watch, you wont be so bored” Ross smiled

“I can’t help it. I just want to know what’s going on” Angelo replied as he covered the face of his watch with his hand

Roman. And Leah walked along the beach. Something they did every Friday before the lunchtime rush at the diner. They didn’t have to talk to one another, all they had to do was hold hands and in that connection, they knew what each other were thinking. Roman looked out to the ocean before looking at Leah.

“What’s wrong?” Leah asked as Roman stood in front of her.

“I think we should move in together”

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, thank you all SO much for the :wub: comments

Chapter 109

Ruby walked out of the school and headed across the grass to the benches where Xavier was sat waiting for her. He smiled as Ruby got closer to him. Ruby smiled back at him until she was stood beside him.

“Thanks for coming to see me” Xavier smiled

“Listen, I don’t want to sound rude, but, can you make this quick? Its just, its Charlie’s operation today and I asked Angelo to ring me when they’d finished”

“Oh right. No, this wont take long” Xavier replied as he licked his lips. “Rubes, I’ve been thinking, about us, and , I know its probably something that you haven’t been thinking about, but, I thought we were good together. And I’d like it for us to get back to that. I miss you and, I know I can be there for you when you need me. I can be there for you now as your friend, but, I’d like it better if it was as your boyfriend”

“Xave..” Ruby began, but Xavier cut her off

“Ruby, I know I stuffed things up for us. But I mean it, I will be here for you if you need me” Xavier said as he took Ruby’s hands in his

“Thanks Xave, but, I can’t do this now, Angelo is going to call any time and I really want to get the call”

Xavier sadly nodded “Ok”

Ruby looked to Xavier. Thankful for how understanding he was being, and feeling herself being a little mean for blowing him off when he was wanting to sort their relationship out. “Xave?” Ruby said to which Xavier looked up. “I’ll need company while I go to the hospital. Feel like being that company?” Xavier smiled and grabbed his bag from the ground.

Leah stood open mouthed in front of Roman. He continued to gaze into Leah’s eyes as he waited for a response.

“What?” Leah asked

“I think you and I should move in together” Roman repeated with the same smile on his face

“What…Where did that come from?” Leah asked, as Roman’s proposal came from nowhere

“I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. And after Charlie’s case went well and I saw my counsellor, I realised that, I’ve made a huge turn around with my life. And that has a lot to do with you” Roman took Leah’s hands in his “Leah, you’ve stood by and never refused to help me when I’ve shouted, screamed, thrown things and just, refused to be helped. You’ve been there for me when I really needed you. I wouldn’t have got through any of that without you. I love you Leah and I want us to live together so were are always with each other”

Leah looked to Roman.

One year ago she had always dreamed of this happening, her, VJ and Roman living together and being happy, making a home for themselves. But because he was with Charlie -her best friend-, her dream would have to stay a dream. Never be a reality. But now, one year on, her dream was becoming a reality and the one person she had dreamt about living with was asking -or rather, suggesting- that they move in together.

Leah bit her lip “Your place or mine” She smiled

The doctor walked down the corridor and headed toward the waiting room. He removed his mask from his face by putting it under his chin. Just behind him, another doctor with some nurses, wheeled out a bed from the operating theatre. Placing his hand out on front of him, the doctor pushed open the door.

Angelo was first to his feet, like a bullet being shot from a gun. Ross and Morag slowly eased their way to their feet. Looking the doctor in the face to see if they could tell if the news was going to be good or bad.

“Well doc? What’s going on?” Angelo asked as he placed his hands in his pockets. The only place he could think of that would hide the trembling they were doing.

“The operation went well. Charlie’s femur has healed extremely well, there is very little scar tissue, this should heal within six or seven weeks. Charlie will have to minimize the amount of physical movement in her leg for 48 hours after her release”

“And how did the assessment go?” Morag asked, remembering that not only were the doctors removing one of the three bars, but they were also seeing how long it would be for the second and third bars to come out.

“We’re very pleased with how the healing procedure has gone. The bone is looking extremely fused and strong once more. We have also looked over the notes Tish and Jenny made whilst Charlie was in rehab, and taken that into considerable account” The doctor continued

“So, when can the second bar come out?” Ross asked as he took a step forward

“Well, we feel that the healing process has been better than we all first initially anticipated, so we have removed all three. When Charlie wakes, she will be in a considerable amount of pain, but she is on the strongest painkillers we have. She will have to remain in hospital until the swelling goes down and when she isn’t in a great deal of pain.” The doctor replied

Angelo, Ross and Morag stood with open mouths. “I’m sorry, what?” Morag asked “I thought you just said all three are out”

The doctor smiled “I did say that, and we have removed all three bars. Charlie will have an x-ray in three days, just to make sure that bone isn’t showing any sign of re-braking, if it is, we will insert a temporary rod that will strength her leg whilst she does a few more rehab sessions”

“And if the x-ray shows improvement?” Angelo asked

“Then, we will closely observe Charlie’s leg over the next few months, which will then turn into a yearly check up” The doctor smiled “My colleague and I are confident that there will be no need for the temporary rod, as we are extremely happy with who Charlie’s leg had healed. And we think that, by the middle of next week, Charlie could be back at home resting”

“Can we go see her?” Angelo smiled

“Yes. If you’d like to follow me” The doctor replied as he began to lead the way to where the nurses had wheeled Charlie to.

“Ross? Are you coming?” Morag asked as she noticed that Ross hadn’t moved one step.

“I’ll be there in a minute” Ross replied “You go on ahead” He added when he noticed that Morag was making her way back to him

Ruby ran into the hospital with Xavier following right behind. Angelo had texted her as soon as he saw the doctor walking down the corridor. Ruby wasn’t too far from the hospital as she decided to set off to the hospital after her chat with Xavier.

“Hi, can you tell me where Charlie Buckton is please?” Ruby asked the man at the desk

“I’m sorry, I can only tell family that information” The man replied

“I’m her daughter” Ruby replied with no hesitation. Xavier smiled when her heard the word ‘daughter’

The man looked to Ruby. “I‘ll need to have some proof of that, I‘m sorry, but recent events have called upon us to do these checks“ The man said

Ruby looked to Xavier and then back to the man. “I know her date of birth. Will that do?” The man nodded “ 19th April 1979” Ruby said

The man typed in the date Ruby had given him. “Room 12” The man replied as the details matched.

“Thank you” Ruby smiled as she headed along the corridors with Xavier right behind her.

“So, who’s house?” Leah asked as she handed Roman a drink and sat beside him on the couch

“Well, maybe here?” Roman replied “For VJ” He added upon seeing the ‘why do you say that’ look on Leah’s face

“But, what about your house? And I need to talk to Charlie and Ruby, I mean, they live here. And I know there are enough rooms, but, it’ll be a little crowded don’t you think? Because, there’ll be, you, me, VJ, Ruby and Charlie, and if Angelo stays over that makes six of us. Not to mention if Morag and Ross come to the bay for a while” Leah replied

“Maybe we should wait to decide. I mean, until Charlie is out of hospital” Roman said as he looked to his drink. “That could be strange” Roman added with a laugh

“What could?” Leah smiled

“Well, if I move in here and Charlie still lives here. Ex’s living together” Roman smiled “I know we’re friends and all, but, it’ll still be weird”

“Yea” Leah laughed. “So, which one of us is telling VJ?”

“Not it!” Roman and Leah shouted simultaneously

“Who’s not it?” VJ asked as he walked from the kitchen into the lounge

Leah’s eyes widened “How long have you been home?”

“I only just got home. I heard you and Roman shout”

“Ok good. Hey, VJ? Who did you hear say not it first?” Leah asked

VJ looked at Leah and then to Roman. Roman was pointing to himself whilst Leah stared at VJ. “I’m not in trouble am I?” VJ asked

“No, of course you’re not, we just, we want to know who said not it first” Leah replied

“Mum” VJ replied. Leah squealed happily whilst Roman muttered under his breath. “What’s going on?” VJ asked

“Nothing mate. Your mum and I were talking and” Roman looked to Leah and then to VJ, looking for the right words. “Erm, I want your mum and you to live with me”

VJ’s mouth opened. “But I live here”

“I think that answered that question” Roman said to Leah as he turned to face her.

“What question?” VJ asked

“Well, we didn’t know if we were going to live here or at Roman’s place. But, if you want to live here, that’s fine” Leah smiled to her young son

“But, if Roman lives here. Where will Aunty Charlie live?” VJ asked

“She can stay here too. But, Angelo might want Charlie to move in with him” Leah answered

“If Aunty Charlie does move out. Can I go and see her?” VJ asked

“Yes VJ” Leah replied as she walked over to VJ and hugged him.

“Cool” VJ smiled as he pulled away from Leah and headed into his bedroom.

“OK, I told VJ, you can tell Charlie” Roman smiled as Leah retuned to the couch

Morag, Angelo and Ross waited outside the door of Charlie’s room. One of the nurses had a couple of checks to do before Charlie was allowed any visitors. Ross had suggested that they wait for Ruby to arrive so all four of them could go in at the same time.

“What’s taking so long?” Angelo asked as he fidgeted in the seat

“They’re just doing their job Angelo, be patient” Morag replied

“I’m done being patient. I think I’ve waited more times in a corridor than anywhere else” Angelo replied as he rose to his feet and began to pace.

“Will you sit down? You’re making me nervous” Ross said to Angelo from his seat

“I can’t help it. I just want to see Charlie” Angelo replied

“We all do. But pacing isn’t making the wait go any faster” Morag said as she looked to Angelo.

“How is she?” Ruby asked as she ran along the corridor

“We haven’t seen her yet” Angelo replied

“Still? I thought you said they wheeled her out fifteen minutes ago” Ruby replied, somewhat out of breath

“I did. And, you got here in fifteen minutes? How?” Angelo replied

“We were on our way here when I got your text. I couldn’t wait any longer I had to know what was going on” Ruby replied as Xavier stood beside Ruby

“Hi Xave” Angelo smiled

“Hey” Xavier replied

“So, has anyone told you about Charlie?” Ruby asked

“Yea, they have darling” Ross began. Ruby turned to face Ross. Ross looked up to Angelo. Angelo nodded “They’ve taken all the bars out of your mothers…out of Charlie’s leg”

“All three? I thought they were only taking one out” Ruby replied with a huge smile on her face

“We all did. But during the operation they saw how well her leg has mended so, they took the other two out as well” Ross added

“That’s great” Ruby smiled as she looked to Angelo and then back to Ross. “So, can we go in yet?”

“Erm not yet. The nurses are just doing a few checks and then I’m sure we can go in” Angelo replied as he placed his arm over Ruby’s shoulder and turned to face the door that concealed Charlie.

A smile was over his, Ruby’s, Morag’s, Ross’ and Xavier face.

They all gasped in unison as the door handle moved and the door eased open……

Chapter 114 is the last chapter. I have figured that much out lol :D

Thank you all so much for the :wub: comments. I really do appriciate the time out you take to read and/or comment. Danni, Charis, Rach, Sarah, Kitkat, Carina :wub:

Flashback

Chapter 110

Angelo’s heart came into his mouth. His hands became sweaty. He felt sick.

Not only was he worrying about why it had taken longer for the nurses to check Charlie over before she was allowed visitors, he was also worrying about the life of his unborn child. Ruby took his hand as she knew why he was looking so worried. She also took his hand to ease her own nerves. Xavier was holding to her other hand, but he was holding it loosely, not the way Ruby needed.

“Angelo Rosetta?” The nurse said as she stepped out of the room.

Angelo swallowed hard. the operation for Charlie went well, but not for bub and the check-over has just confirmed that Angelo thought to himself as he took his hand away from Ruby and wiped them down his shirt “Yes?”

“Can I talk to you for a moment please” The nurse said as she pointed back into Charlie’s room

“Yea” Angelo replied as he looked to Ruby, Ross and Morag as if to say: why?

Angelo closed the door behind him. And the nurse -Elle- turned to face him. “What’s happened to the baby?” Angelo asked

“Nothing” Elle smiled

“Then….why?” Angelo asked

“The check-over was just to make sure that there wasn’t any blood seeping through the bandages and we were making sure that all of her painkillers were been fed through at the right time and at the correct dosage. But, the reason I have asked you in here is because, I want to make you aware of the next couple of months and how important it is for Charlie’s recovery and the development of your baby” Elle replied “Charlie will have to keep her leg unmoved for 48 hours after her release. This is only because of the bandaging, once the 48 hours are over, she’ll be needed back in hospital for us to remove these bandages and replace them with a new bandage that will allow Charlie to have full movement in her leg again”

Angelo nodded “And, none of this will effect the baby will it?”

“Not for the first couple of weeks or so. Most women don’t find out they are pregnant until the sixth or eight week at the earliest. So, no harm will come to the baby as at the moment, it could still be undiscovered. I know how that sounds, but it’s the only way I can explain it in plain terms”

“No, I understand that, its just…”

“Just what?” Elle asked

“Have you tried to tell Charlie to take things easy and let other people do things for her?” Elle shook her head “Suicide” Angelo smiled causing Elle to laugh slightly.

“But it is something Charlie will have to do for the next couple of months. Minimum usage of her leg for a couple of weeks, an x-ray and if that shows good signs, then maybe she can be running on it again” Elle said as she looked at her beeper that was buzzing “I’m sorry, I have to go, but you can tell Charlie’s family they can come in now” Elle smiled as she pointed to the door and began to head in that direction.

Ruby was first in -with Xavier right behind- followed by Ross and Morag.

“What did the nurse want?” Morag asked as she noticed no-one had asked the burning question

“Just about what’s going to happen in the next couple of days and what happens after Charlie is discharged” Angelo replied

“So, why were you told? Ross is her father, I’m sure he’d be the one to tell” Morag queried.

“Morag, I don’t know. Maybe they think that Charlie and I are married or something. I don’t know why, but the main thing is that someone was told” Angelo replied sternly.

Morag nodded. But watched Angelo carefully as he walked toward Charlie -who lay asleep in the bed- with a slight ease in his step mixed with anxiousness and relief.

Ross sat beside Charlie and lay a kiss on her forehead. Ruby sat on the bed next to Charlie- making sure she didn’t sit on Charlie, her leg or any of the various drips that were being fed into Charlie- and placed her hand on top of Charlie’s, gently stroking it as she looked t Charlie’s face.

“When she going to wake up do you think?” Xavier asked from the side of the room

“May be a while yet Xavier” Morag replied as she looked to Xavier as he stood with his back against the wall with his foot resting against it. His arms were folded with his hands under his armpits.

“Sorry. I just hate waiting” Xavier sighed

“Xave, I’m gonna be here until Charlie wakes up. You can go, I’ll come and see you when I know Charlie is ok” Ruby said to Xavier as she looked at him. A small smile appeared on Xavier’s face before he began to move away from the wall. Angelo placed his hand on Xavier’s shoulder and smiled. Xavier smiled back before he left the room entirely.

“Another wait” Ross said, breaking the momentary silence that had fallen in the room. Mumbles of agreement was heard before the room fell into silence once more.

Xavier walked into the diner where he was met by Nicole. Who was sitting doing some study.

“Isn’t that supposed to be done at home?” Xavier asked as he sat at the table

“Well, I would but Sid and Marilyn are been a couple there. Miles and Alf made themselves scarce too. And Romeo is at the farm with Indi and Dex watching another one of Dex’s delightful films” Nicole replied

“Oh, so, you and me have the better end of that deal” Xavier laughed

“Yea” Nicole smiled “So, where have you been?”

“I was talking to Ruby about us and where we were going. I told her that I want to be with her and I’m willing to wait and everything. Then Ruby got a text from Angelo saying that Charlie was out of theatre”

“Oh god. That was today?” Xavier nodded “I promised Rubes, I’d text her” Nicole replied as she looked at her phone to see that today was the date Ruby had said

“Don’t worry, I think Ruby is all over the place at the moment”

“Things that bad?” Nicole asked

“No. I think she’s slowly working things out and I think it’s a good thing”

“How do you mean?” Nicole asked, sensing there was more to ’working things out’

“Well, when we got to the hospital, the guy wouldn’t let Ruby see Charlie unless she was family. And Ruby just said that she was Charlie’s daughter without thinking about it”

“Well, Ruby is Charlie’s daughter” Nicole pointed out

“I know, but, usually Ruby’s all like, she’s erm….she’s my….my……. And then she says it”

“Ok, your Ruby impression, needs work” Nicole laughed

“Shut up” Xavier smiled. “My point is..”

“I know what your point is. And, I think Charlie and Ruby are going to be ok”

“Why do you say that? How do you know?” Xavier asked

“Well, Ruby was so excited about getting to know Charlie again. I know that sounds really weird, but, she was saying that this could be a new thing and something good to come out of everything. I actually couldn’t shut her up. Even with Freddie Prinze Jr. all over the TV screen” Nicole answered

“And Ruby loves him!” Xavier replied, shocked.

“So, you’ve just left the hospital now?” Nicole asked. Xavier nodded his head “How does Charlie look?”

“Asleep” Xavier replied to which Nicole gave her a look “What? Well, she was. She had these wires going into her arm and these drip things next to her bed. I have no idea how Ross, Morag, Angelo and Ruby can see passed them. I don’t like them and I don’t like hospitals”

“How do you think Charlie feels? For the last year, she’s spent more time in a hospital bed then she has her own bed. Charlie probably doesn’t want to see the hospital again for a few years!” Nicole replied

“But, I heard the doctors tell Angelo and Ross that all the bars are out”

“What? All of them?” Nicole repeated. Xavier nodded “Ruby said that they were only removing one and then going to look at the other two. Not actually remove them”

“Ruby thought the same, but apparently Charlie’s leg has healed properly”

“What was that?” Leah asked as she walked passed the table “Charlie’s leg has healed properly?”

Xavier turned to face Leah “Yea. Ruby, Angelo, Ross and Morag are at the hospital now with Charlie. She’s had the operation and all the bars are out”

“What? All of them? As in all three?” Leah repeated

Xavier laughed “Yea, all three”

“So, you’ve just left the hospital now?” Leah asked

“Yea, Ross, Morag, Ruby and Angelo are with her now” Xavier replied

“Thanks” Leah smiled before heading back into the kitchen.

As she walked into the kitchen, the relief was clearly seen on her face. Leah knew how worried Charlie was about the operation; Charlie had told her about her worries a few nights before the operation

Charlie sat on the couch as Leah brought through the two cups containing within them the hot coco she and Charlie were just about to drink. The heat was felt through the cup as soon as it was cupped within their hands. The pleasant smell swirled into the air, causing both Leah and Charlie to smile as they brought the cups to their mouths to take the first sips of the chocolaty drink.

“I don’t know what I think about the operation. I want it, because I’ve had enough of the bars, they’re painful and, I know he says he’s not bothered with them, but, Angelo. I don’t think he likes the fact that I have bars in my leg”

“Charlie. Angelo loves you for you. He’s proved that and he’s shown that to you. He’s always there for you when you’ve needed him. He was there for you yesterday at the trial. You could have two heads and Angelo wouldn’t care. He loves you Charlie and nothing is going to change that. And the bars? They are the last piece of this whole ordeal. Once they’re out, you and Angelo can be a proper couple; like you’ve both wanted for so long” Leah replied as she placed her free hand on Charlie’s.

“And Ruby” Charlie added as she looked to Leah “I can focus on my relationship with her properly. All these hospital visits and taking it easy has made talking to Ruby more difficult recently. But, I’m hopeful that we can go back to what we had before”

“I’m sure you will. And these last few weeks have been great for you two. You seem really close again. Ruby’s spending a lot more time with you” Leah smiled

“Yea, she is” Charlie smiled

“What’s put that smile on your face girly?” Irene asked as she noticed the smile on Leah’s face

“Charlie’s operation went well. All the bars are out” Leah replied

“Oh that’s wonderful” Colleen smiled as she looked up from the cake stand.

“How did you find out?” Irene asked

“Xavier has just told me. He was at the hospital with Ruby. Morag, Angelo, Ross and Ruby are still there now with her” Leah replied

“Wait a minute. Did you say all the bars are out?” Irene questioned

“Yea” Leah smiled “Xavier said Ross, Ruby, Morag and Angelo were just as surprised. I don’t think they thought that all would be out at once”

“Well, I think after everything Senior Constable Buckton has been through, a little good news is something she needs. And I know just the cake to bake for her too” Colleen said as she thought of what cake she could bake. Irene and Leah laughed as Colleen walked around the kitchen, gathering the ingredients she was going to use to bake the cake.

The white tiles on the ceiling blurred together as her eyes fluttered open and shut. She could hear faint, muffled voices from around her. She felt a sickening pain through her leg.

The voices became distinguishable, the pain became isolated to one spot, the ceiling became clear.

The light on the other side of the road seemed to have Angelo’s full attention. The flickering orange light lit his face, making his tears shine.

The rhythm he had going with his fingers changed every so often. His right thumb would lead one minute and the his left would lead the next. His knees bobbed up and down as he tapped his feet on the ground. A hand appeared on his leg, claming him instantly. Morag looked Ross in the eye and smiled: a smile that assured him everything was ok.

The grip on her hand became loose as she drifted into a light sleep. Ruby had her arm folded on the bed with her head resting on her forearm. Her hand was in Charlie’s hand; somewhere it had been put as soon as Ruby sat beside Charlie. As she gently squeezed her hand, Ruby quickly awoke.

“Charlie” Ruby smiled happily as she saw Charlie’s eyes open.

Ross and Morag soon rose form their seats and to the side of Charlie.

Angelo quickly turned around. Forgetting to wipe his face from the residual tears that had fallen from his worried eyes. “Charlie” He smiled as he rushed to Charlie’s side. Charlie managed a smile. But the smile soon fell from her face and was replaced with a pained look. Angelo took her free hand in his “Don’t worry” He smiled “We’re here”

The following day

Ross and Morag walked into the diner early doors. Only a few people were in the diner, and only Irene, Colleen and Roman were working. Morag smiled to Irene as Irene walked through the dining area and into the kitchen. Ross and Morag headed to the counter.

“Morning. I hear Charlie’s operation went well” Irene smiled “Bet that’s a relief”

“Yea, it is. All we need now if for Charlie to come out of hospital so she can put this whole mess behind her” Ross smiled

“Charlie’s a strong girl. I’m sure she’ll be fighting fit this time next week” Irene smiled

“Thank you Irene” Ross smiled as he took a seat in front of the counter

“Erm, is there any chance of visitors going to see Charlie today?” Irene asked quietly so Colleen couldn’t hear.

“I don’t think that’d be such a good idea. The nurse said last night that the anaesthetic wearing off would knock Charlie out: the pain would be bad. She’s drugged up now as we speak” Morag replied

“Oh right. Poor girl” Irene replied “Well, I thought I’d better ask, because Colleen spent yesterday baking a cake for Charlie”

“That’s sweet” Ross smiled to which Irene and Morag gave him both the same look of: Do you know Colleen?

“Anyway, what can I get you?” Irene asked, remembering she hadn’t taken their order yet.

“On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate the pain?” Rachel asked Charlie as she wrote some things down on Charlie’s notes

Charlie swallowed back a wave of pain “About an eight”

“Right” Rachel nodded as she wrote more on the paper

“What does that mean?” Angelo asked, worry present in his voice “Could something happen to the baby?”

“No, nothing will happen to the baby” Rachel reassured. “It just means that the dosage of painkillers Charlie is on will have to go up by 2ml. And if the pain doesn’t die down after a few hours, I’ll have to reassess the medication used”

“What’s she on at the moment?” Angelo asked as he kept hold of Charlie’s hand

“We have Charlie on a morphine drip which is releasing some into her bloodstream every few hours. Morphine and cocodamol are the only painkillers we can prescribe to women who are pregnant. Unfortunately, the dosage amount means Charlie will be in pain more times than she is free from pain. Although, most of the pain she is feeling is swelling. Once the swelling goes down the pain should be more tolerable and controlled with the morphine” Rachel explained as she went to grab the beeper that was clipped to her skirt. “I’m sorry, I have to go, but I’ll be back later to check up on you and see how things are going” Rachel said to Charlie as she placed the board back at the bottom of the bed and headed for the door.

“I wont be a sec” Angelo said as he kissed Charlie on the forehead and followed Rachel out of the room. “Hey Rach” Angelo said as he closed the door behind him. “Charlie will be ok wont she? I mean, I know she seems strong, but, she can’t handle pain very well”

“Charlie will be fine. Don’t worry about her” Rachel smiled

“And the baby? Bub will be ok?” Angelo asked

“Yes, the baby will be fine” Rachel replied as she placed her hand on Angelo’s shoulder. “And there is something you can do to help Charlie” Angelo looked to Rachel “You can go in there, stay with her and just be there for her, like you have for so long”

Angelo nodded “Thanks Rach”

“Your welcome” Rachel replied as she watched Angelo head back into the room.

Angelo quietly closed the door behind him. He slowly crept back toward the bad where Charlie lay. As he reached Charlie’s side he noticed that Charlie’s eyes were closed. Angelo smiled to himself, placed a kiss on Charlie’s forehead and sat beside her. Leaning forward he placed his hand over Charlie’s stomach and smiled once more “She’ll be ok” he whispered softly before taking Charlie’s hand and pulling the chair closer to the bed.

Thank you so much for the comments. Hope this is ok :D

Danni: Thanks for your help :wub:

Chapter 111

Ruby walked along the corridor toward the room where Charlie was. Her face showing how she was feeling. The smile on her face couldn’t get much wider, and she couldn’t help but feel happy, not only for herself, but for Charlie and for Angelo.

Ruby herself had always thought that Charlie and Angelo should be together and happy ever since Charlie first came home after her first day working along side Angelo and seeing the difference in her. Ruby had told Charlie what she thought, but Charlie had always pushed that aside as she was with Roman. But Ruby always knew that Charlie was doing just that: pushing her true feelings aside so that she nor Roman would get hurt.

As the door appeared in front of her, Ruby reached for the handle. She opened the door slowly so it wasn’t to wake Charlie. Closing the door behind her, Ruby then made her way up alongside Charlie. Charlie lay awake with her left hand being held by Angelo -who had fallen asleep with his head resting gently on Charlie’s- and her right hand was beside her, having the drips feed into her veins. Charlie smiled as Ruby moved closer to Charlie

“Ruby” Charlie weakly smiled

“Hey Charles” Ruby smiled back as she took Charlie’s hand “Its nice to see you awake“.

“Its nice to be awake” Charlie replied as she looked to Ruby

“Has the doctor had chance to talk to you yet?” Ruby asked

“A nurse came in about ten minutes ago” Charlie smiled

“So…”

“She told me that the bars are out” Charlie said with a half smile

“You don’t seem to happy about that” Ruby noticed “I thought you’d be happier then you are”

“I am happy Rubes, more than I can show, but, I can’t bare this pain, every little movement I make I can feel pain”

“Is that normal? I mean, shouldn’t they be doing something more to help?” Ruby asked

“The nurse added an extra couple of ml’s of morphine but that’s it. Until the swelling goes down, I’ll feel like this”

“Well, all the bars are out!” Ruby excitedly said, causing Charlie to smile more than she was “See, I knew you were happy.” Ruby said as she pointed to the smile on Charlie’s lips “So, how long have you been awake?” She asked as she looked to Angelo briefly and then back to Charlie.

“I don’t know. Long enough to have thought about a few things” Charlie replied

“What things?” Ruby asked as she sat beside Charlie on the bed. Charlie moved her hand so it was resting on her stomach “about you and Angelo?” Ruby assumed

“That, and you and me, and what the baby is going to mean” Charlie replied

“You and Angelo are going to be ok, and the fact that you’re having a baby shows you that you’re going to be ok. And as for you and me; we’re fine. I’m here for you, I said I would be and I want to be. And we’ll figure the rest of the stuff out as and when we come to it”

“We’ll have a day. Just you and me, any shop any place. Just you and me all day” Charlie smiled

VJ ran along the beach to where Leah and Roman were sitting. A blanket was set out on the sand with sandwiches, drinks, crisps, biscuits and salad set in places on the blanket. VJ put the ball in the sand and sat in front of Leah and grabbed a sandwich.

“Mum. When can we see Aunty Charlie?” VJ asked after swallowing his mouthful

“I don’t think we’ll go when she’s in hospital VJ. She’ll be home in a couple of days so you can see her then” Leah replied

“Is she in a lot of pain? Is that why you don’t want me to see her?” VJ asked

Leah looked to VJ and saw the disheartened look on his face “VJ, Charlie will be in a lot of pain, and she’ll probably be asleep for most of the visit. I want you to see her, and I’m sure Charlie wants you to visit her, but, I think she’ll love it more if you were at home waiting for her when she comes home”

VJ smiled slightly “And she will be home in a couple of days. You said that” VJ said

“I did say that, and she will” Leah smiled

“You want to play some footie mate?” Roman asked as he grabbed the football from the sand and threw it in the air and caught it again

“Can I mum?” VJ said to Leah as he looked to Roman and then to Leah

“Yea” Leah smiled.

“Awesome” VJ smiled as he jumped to his feet and ran along the beach with Roman chasing after him.

Leah placed her hands behind her and leaned back. She basked in the sunshine and watched as Roman and VJ passed the football to one another. She smiled as she watched VJ kick the ball into the water; she laughed when she saw Roman pick VJ up and run into the water with him; she rose to her feet and began to run when she saw Roman and VJ head in her direction. Laughter came from the mouths of Leah, Roman and VJ as they chased each other along the sand.

The following day

It had been nearly 48 hours since Charlie had had the bars removed from her leg.

She along with Angelo., Ruby, Ross and Morag waited anxiously in the room for the doctor to arrive to take Charlie for her x-ray.

“Why do they make us wait?” Ross asked as he tapped his foot

“To drive us crazy” Ruby replied as she stared at the same spot on the ground

“Can you stop pacing Angelo, you’re making me more nervous” Charlie said as she watched Angelo walk the same ground

“I can’t help it. I just want to know that everything is ok” Angelo replied as he looked to Charlie and glanced to her stomach

Charlie’s eyes widened slightly as she replied “Stop worrying, please”

“Charlie’s right Angelo” Ross agreed as he placed his hand on Angelo’s shoulder “Worrying like this is just going to make things seem worse” Ros had only just finished speaking when Sid entered the room

“Hello Charlie” Sid smiled as he walked passed Ross, Morag and Angelo to get to Charlie

“Hi” Charlie replied tentatively “Where’s Rachel?”

“Harry had a high temperature last night. She’s taken today off to look after him, I’m filling in for her” Sid replied as he grabbed Charlie’s chart from the bottom of her bed. “Ok, so on a scale of one to ten, how would you rate the pain?” Sid asked

“About a five” Charlie replied

“That’s good” Sid replied as he wrote on the sheet.

“Right, so I’m sure you are aware of what happens now?” Charlie nodded “When I have seen the x-ray’s I can then see what the next thing to do is.” Sid continued “I’ll just go let the nurse know that you’re ready for the x-ray and then I’ll see you there” Sid added before putting the board back at the foot of the bed and leaving the room.

“Well, I’m going to go on a coffee run. Keep myself busy whilst we wait. Anyone care to join?” Morag said as she looked to Ruby, then to Angelo and then to Ross. “Anyone?”

“I’ll come” Ruby smiled as she looked to Charlie and Angelo before walking to Morag

“You coming Ross?” Morag asked as she and Ruby headed toward the door.

“No thanks, I’ll stay if you don’t mind” Ross replied as he looked to Morag and smiled

Charlie looked to Angelo and Angelo looked to Charlie worried. They then looked to Ross and smiled awkwardly.

As Ruby and Morag made there way to the canteen, Morag kept glancing down at Ruby every so often. “Is there something going on between Charlie and Angelo?” Morag asked

Ruby’s eyes widened “Why do you ask that?” Ruby replied

“I have eyes Ruby and I saw how they were just now and how Angelo was after the nurses checked Charlie just after her operation” Morag replied “Nothing is wrong is it?”

“No, nothing’s wrong” Ruby smiled

“Ruby” Morag said causing Ruby to look up to Morag like a little school child been told.

“Angelo is just worried about Charlie. Everything just keeps happening to her: first the warehouse then the accident, then the operation and now with the baby and everything Angelo is worried something will happen to it and he’ll be devastated and…….” Ruby trailed off as she realised what she had done. Looking to Morag she saw the shocked expression on her face “Oh my god” Ruby said “Morag, please. Don’t tell anyone”

Morag stood with her mouth slightly open. “Erm…”

“Please. Its just, Charlie wants to wait until she’s out of the woods and if she finds out I’ve blurted it out to you, she’ll be….actually I don’t know how she’ll be, but, please, promise me that you wont tell Ross and that you’ll act surprised when Charlie does tell you” Ruby added as she cut Morag off

“When….erm…how long have they known?” Morag asked as she gathered her words

“They found out a couple of weeks after the trail. Rachel asked if there was a chance Charlie was pregnant and they did a scan and found a heartbeat” Ruby explained

“So they’ve known for a week?” Morag asked

Ruby counted on her fingers “Yea, about that” Ruby replied. “Morag. You wont say anything, will you?”

Morag looked to Ruby. “No I wont” She smiled before continuing “And how are you with the news?”

Ruby looked to Morag “I’m ok”

“Ruby?” Morag replied, sensing the scepticism in her voice

“Ok, I was a little jealous at first; Charlie and I have only just got to a new understanding and everything was going really well, I felt like nothing had changed really between us. And when I heard the heartbeat and Rachel say that Charlie was pregnant, I wished she wasn’t for a minute” Ruby swallowed before looking back to Morag “But, I know Charlie wants to spend as much time with me as she can. Does that make me a bad person for wanting her to myself? Just for a little bit?” Ruby said as her eyes glazed over with tears

“No it doesn’t make you a bad person” Morag replied as she pulled Ruby close to her for a hug “And if Charlie is wanting to do all she can to spend time with you, doesn’t that tell you that a baby isn’t going to change anything between you?”

“I guess not” Ruby sniffed “Thanks Morag” Ruby added as she pulled away from Morag

“Now, shall we got and get these coffees?” Morag smiled as she opened the door to the canteen.

As the nurses wheeled Charlie down to the x-ray room, Angelo tried to think of a way to keep Ross in the corridor whilst Charlie had the scan after the x-ray.

“Angelo my boy, are you ok?” Ross asked as he placed his hand on Angelo’s shoulder

“Yea, I was, erm, just wondering where Morag and Ruby had got to” Angelo replied

“I’m sure they’ll be back soon.” Ross smiled “Shall we?” He added as the nurse walked through the open door and into the x-ray room.

Angelo awkwardly nodded as he watched Ross enter the room first. He looked over his shoulder, hoping Morag and Ruby would walk around the corner; but they didn’t. He ran out of ideas to have Ross out of the room. There was one idea that he didn’t want to use, as it would mean he would be in the corridor with Ross: when all he wanted to be was beside Charlie and seeing his baby on the screen and hearing the heartbeat once more.

Angelo sighed before he walked into the room.

“I’m sorry, but, I can only have one person extra in here” The nurse said as she looked to Angelo and Ross

“You stay I’ll go” Ross said as he pulled Angelo closer to Charlie

“You sure?” Angelo replied, hiding the smile that was on his face

“Yes, yes I’m sure. I’ll wait in the corridor for Ruby and Morag” Ross smiled as he walked back out of the door.

The nurse smiled to Angelo and Charlie as Angelo made his way to Charlie’s side. “I take it he doesn’t know about the baby?”

“No, its just Ruby that knows” Angelo replied “And that’s how we want it. Well, at least until we know everything is ok”

“Well, I’ll be doing an ultrasound before you have the x-ray, just to make sure everything is ok and then you will have another one on the day you are discharged from hospital. Once that one has been done, your next scan will be at 12 weeks and then at 20 weeks, just like any other pregnancy” The nurse explained

“When will I be discharged?” Charlie asked

“It all depends on this x-ray and the brief rehabilitation you will be doing. As long as your leg can bare your weight and you can’t feel any pain, then you should be ok to go. Although, I myself can’t be the one to discharge you; Dr. Walker or Dr. Armstrong will be the one to do that” Elle -the nurse- replied. Charlie nodded as Angelo took her hand and squeezed it gently “So, are you ready for the ultrasound?”

“Yea” Charlie replied

“Ok. I’ll get started then” Elle smiled

Leah, VJ and Roman arrived home. VJ went straight to his room and began tidying it up as Leah put all the things from their little picnic away. Roman made his way into the front room with a beer that he had grabbed from the fridge and sat in front of the TV. Leah heard the TV go on -as did VJ- and they walked into the room, stood in front of Roman and folded their arms across their chest.

“What?” Roman asked as he had the bottle poised in front of his mouth

“Aunty Charlie could be home today or tomorrow. The house needs to be tidied” VJ replied as he took the remote from Roman and switched the TV off.

Leah couldn’t help but laugh as Roman looked open mouthed at VJ as he put the remote next to the switched off TV set and head back toward his bedroom. “I didn’t tell him to say that” Leah smiled

“I guess I’d better get helping then” Roman smiled “And used to been ganged up on by you two” He added as he kissed Leah

“Yea, you’d better” Leah smiled as she walked back into the kitchen and continued to put the things away.

Roman took another swig of his beer before placing the bottle on the side. He then began to pick the bits of rubbish from the floor and straightening the rug that was in front of the couch. He went into the kitchen and grabbed the polish and a rag from the cupboard and began to polish the table and the sides in the room until he had done all that he thought was needed.

Leah walked from the kitchen and into the front room and sat with her drink. Roman cleared his throat. “Notice anything different?” Roman smiled happily

Leah looked around “No. Not really”

Roman threw the rag to Leah as she began to laugh “Fine” He smiled. “So I guess VJ is happy”

“Yea. He can’t wait to see Charlie again”

Roman hit Leah on the arm gently “I meant with you and I moving in together”

“I know” Leah smiled. “And he is. It’ll be nice for him to have a guy around the house. And I’ll love having you around too”

Roman leaned forward to kiss Leah, as they pulled away he took her hand in his “So. How do we tell Charlie about us moving in together”

“I don’t know. But I do know I want her to know first. No one else. She’s my best friend and I want her to be the first to know”

“I know you are. And I know you do. I just…I can’t wait to move in with you and start a future together properly” Roman smiled “But, what if she’s not happy with us moving in together?” Roman asked

“Why wouldn’t I be happy?” Charlie asked as she stood behind Roman and Leah with a smile on her face.

“Erm…I erm…..I…” Roman spluttered as he and Leah rose to their feet “When did you get back?”

“Just now” Charlie replied as Leah hugged her

“I heard the operation went well” Roman smiled as he hugged Charlie

“Erm….yea” Charlie replied as Roman pulled away from her and she looked to Angelo “I just have to get used to having nothing in there any more” Charlie replied as she limped to the couch

“No crutch just a limp” Roman smiled

“I know its great isn’t it?” Angelo smiled as he shook hands with Roman. “So, when are you moving in together?” Angelo asked which was met with an awkward silence. “Take it you’re not ready to talk about that then” Angelo added as he looked to Charlie as if for help.

Leah cleared her throat “Well, we are going to move in, but we don’t know when. And Charlie, I did want to tell you, I jus…..”

“I know I heard” Charlie smiled. “That’s great news” She added as she sat herself down

“Aunty Charlie!” VJ happily shouted as he ran into the front room to find Charlie sitting on the couch next to Angelo.

“Hey VJ” Charlie smiled as VJ hugged her.

“Did mum tell you? Roman and her are going to move in together. This is awesome. Mum and Roman are moving in together, you don’t have to go to hospital any more” VJ smiled. He then looked to Roman and Angelo. “Can we play on WII? I have loads of games to choose from”

“That sounds cool” Angelo smiled

“I don’t know who’s the kid here” Charlie laughed as she looked to Leah but pointed to Angelo

Leah could help but give a small laugh.

“So, where’s Ruby?” Leah asked as she noticed Ruby hadn’t followed Charlie into the house

“She has gone to the beach to see Xavier” Charlie replied with a smile

Ruby walked along the path heading toward the beach. She looked down and saw Xavier stood in front of the water, watching as it washed over his feet. Ruby felt a slight smile appear on her face. Her smile got bigger with every step she took to get closer to Xavier. Her hair blew in the slight wind that was felt, sweeping across her face.

“Xavier” Ruby spoke as she moved her hair from her face

Xavier turned around and smiled at Ruby “Hey. How’s Charlie?” He asked as he walked toward Ruby.

“She’s ok. She’s actually back at Leah’s now, or at least she’s on her way” Ruby replied as she and Xavier lowered themselves to the sand.

“How do you mean on her way?” Xavier asked, slightly confused by Ruby’s reply

“Well, she has a major limp because she isn’t used to having no crutch” Ruby smiled

“So the crutch has gone too?” Xavier asked

“Yea. Its so nice to see Charlie back to her old self, or, well, a small piece of what she was like before. I think once she has been home for a couple of days and got used to no crutch, she’ll be fine” Ruby smiled as she looked to Xavier and then to the water

“Rubes….”

“Xave….”

Ruby and Xavier laughed as they spoke at the same time. Ruby tucked her hair behind her ears and Xavier wiped his mouth.

“You go first” Xavier said

“Ok” Ruby smiled. “I never said thank you for coming with me to the hospital. I know how much you hate hospitals but, it meant a lot to me knowing you were there”

“I wanted to be there Rubes” Xavier replied with a smile. “And, Charlie will be back to her old self in no time” Xavier added

“I don’t think she’d be where she is now if it wasn’t for Angelo. He’s been so great these last few months. He’s been there for Charlie, listened to her, supported her, stood by her through everything. He’s even helped Ross, Morag and me. This would have been so much harder for Charlie if she didn’t have him”

“How did Angelo help?” Xavier asked as he watched Ruby place her hand on the sand and run her fingers through it, almost like a rake

“Just, after Charlie told me what happened to her and after I was born, he listened to what I had to say, he was great” Ruby replied, keeping her focus on the pattern that had now formed in the sand.

Xavier looked to Ruby and saw a lone tear fall from her eye. “Ruby” Xavier said which caused Ruby to look up at Xavier. The tear from her eye was out of place with the smile on her face. “You ok?” He asked as Ruby wiped the tear from her cheek

“Yea” Ruby replied as she looked into Xavier’s eyes.

“Why are you crying?” He asked as he shook his head in confusion

“I’m not crying. Its one tear and it’s a happy tear” Ruby smiled

“I buy that” Xavier smiled “Charlie getting the bars out is enough to warrant that smile”

“Its not just that” Ruby replied “Its that and Charlie has moved on with her life and she and Angelo are going to have a baby” Ruby smiled and without realising what she had let slip.

“What? Charlie’s pregnant?” Xavier gasped in shock

Ruby’s eyes widened “Xave!”

“I won’t tell this time. I promise” Xavier replied with the first thing that came out of his mouth

“You better not” Ruby teased

“That was an accident. I never meant to do that, I wi………” Xavier began but he was unable to finish as Ruby leaned into him and placed a kiss on his lips.

I got the internet on my laptop!!!!! yey, go me :) lol.

But, saying that, this could only last a little while, if it takes another week for me to update its because the connection has gone again.

Thank you for been understanding and for been patient with me, it means so much :wub:

And I really do appriciate the LOVELY comments you guys leave me.

I hope this chapter is ok, like I said before, I've had this for a few days but couldn't post.

Let me know what you think xx

Chapter 112

Ruby pulled away from Xavier. His eyes still open, his lips still positioned to finish what he was saying. Ruby wiped her index and middle finger across her lips before she placed her hand within the other and rested them on her legs. Xavier blinked and licked his lips. He blinked once more as he focused on Ruby, who looked at him shyly. “What was that?” He asked

“A kiss” Ruby replied as she broke her eye contact with Xavier to look to her fingers with she fiddled with. “I’ve been thinking Xave, and…..I miss you. The other day at the hospital, I can’t tell you how much that meant to me, I had you there for me and I didn’t ask you to come with me. You were just there. I can trust you with so much Xave, I can tell you anything, and I know that you can keep it to yourself, well, some of it, but, I’m so lucky to have you in my life” Ruby continued as a tear fell from her eye . Xavier brought his hand to Ruby’s cheek and wiped the tear away. Ruby cupped her hands around Xavier’s and pulled it away from her face “I love you Xavier. I want to be with you”

Xavier smiled “I love you too Rubes”

As they walked hand in hand to the diner, Ruby and Xavier laughed as they approached Dex, Indi, Romeo and Nicole. “Guess the love birds are back together. Its sickening” Dex said as he spun around in his chair after following Xavier and Ruby with his eyes as they approached the table.

“Congratulations” Indi smiled

“Thanks” Ruby smiled as she and Xavier sat at the table. Indi looked to Romeo as Dex was served his ice-cream. Seeing that not much conversation was going to be had, Ruby looked to Nicole and began to speak “Hey, has Roman and Leah got around to tell you yet?”

“About them moving in together?” Ruby nodded “Yea. I’m happy for them, I really am” Nicole smiled

“So, will you be moving in with Leah and Roman then?” Romeo asked as he looked up from his revision

“I’ve spoken to dad; and, we still have a few things to work through. I mean, I happy and everything for him, but, I don’t think I’m ready to be in the same house with him after everything that happened”

“I thought things between you and Roman were good?” Indi said as she held one of the books from the table

“They are, its just, we’ve come so far from that and I don’t want all that to go. Dad has said he’s rather have me living in a different house and talking to him, rather then have me under that same roof and have us be at each others throats all the time” Nicole replied

“But you’re ok?” Ruby asked

“Yea. Leah’s good for him and I’m happy they’ve found each other. But, dad and I never got along when we lived together. This is the best relationship I’ve ever had with him, and I don’t want to loose that. Besides, Leah’s house is only ten minutes from the Caravan Park, so its not like I’m not near him”

“Ok, now we have talked about everything lovey and romantic, can we order some food or something? I’m starving” Dex said as he placed his hand on his stomach and rubbed.

Indi shook her head “What? Dex innocently asked as he placed the spoon into the dish that had contained his ice-cream.

That night……

Angelo lay in bed with Charlie’s head resting on his bare abdomen. She ran her hand along his stomach as Angelo brushed his hand down her arm gently. “This is nice” Charlie softly spoke.

“Yea” Angelo replied “Just you and me” Charlie moved her head so she could see Angelo’s face “What?” Angelo asked as he stopped what he was doing and brought his hand to his chest and rested it on it.

“Nothing” Charlie smiled. As she tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

“I love you Charlie” Angelo smiled as he took her hands in his.

“I love you too” Charlie smiled as she leaned close to Angelo and kissed him softly on the lips. Pulling apart Charlie moved once more until she was sitting beside Angelo with her back resting on the headboard. Angelo pushed himself up the bed so that he was leaning up against the headboard, but still laying down. Silence fell between the two, but they continued to look into each other’s eyes. Angelo moved his arm closer to Charlie and broke the silence.

“Two months, and we can see our baby” Angelo smiled as he placed his hand on Charlie’s stomach.

Charlie smiled as she felt Angelo’s hand on her stomach. “Two months” She repeated.

Two months later

Charlie awoke to find the bed next to her was empty. The sheets were creased and the duvet was folded over. Charlie smiled to herself before throwing the covers from herself to reveal a small -but neat- bump bulging from her abdomen. As she placed her feet into the slippers that were on the floor next to the bed, she grabbed her dressing gown from the chair that was beside the mirror and table. Charlie made her way out of Angelo’s room and toward the kitchen where she could smell the food been made and where she could hear Angelo singing.

“I hope you aren’t going to sing to the baby” Charlie laughed as she leant against the side and watched as Angelo put cream cheese on the bagel.

“Morning to you too” Angelo smiled as he continued to spread the bagel. “How did you sleep?”

“Much better” Charlie replied as she hugged herself.

“Charlie, Rachel said something like this was natural” Angelo said as he went to Charlie’s side

“But they’re in jail Angelo. I should feel a lot better then I do, why do I keep thinking something bad is going to happen?” Charlie asked, almost in tears.

“You’re pregnant. Your hormones are all over the place and on top of that, you’ve had hospital visits and rehab to go to”

“I have no idea how you can put up with me” Charlie replied with a slight smile

“Neither do I” Angelo smiled as he walked back to the side where the bagels were. “Now, you go and sit. I’ll bring this over”

Charlie walked to the table and sat herself down. She noticed something flashing on Angelo’s laptop. “Angelo, what’s that?” Charlie asked as she pointed to the laptop

Angelo’s eyes widened “Nothing” He replied as he hurried to place one of the two plates he was carrying in front of Charlie “Here” He said as the plate clunked on the table. Angelo then shut his laptop and sat in the chair next to Charlie, who looked at him with curiosity in her eyes. “So, what time did you say the scan was?” Angelo asked as he bit into his bagel

“Erm, 10:50” Charlie replied as she kept her eyes focused on the closed laptop “But, Ruby has asked if we can pick her up and take her with us”

“Yea sure. That’s fine” Angelo smiled

“We’re going into Yabbie Creek afterward, have a day, just us girls” Charlie smiled as she finally took her eyes away from the laptop

“That sounds nice. But, don’t be buying everything for the baby. I want to buy something’s too” Angelo replied

“We wont. Besides, today is about Ruby and I, so, if any buying is been done, it’ll be for Ruby or me” Charlie replied with a smile

VJ ran from his room into the kitchen. Ruby was stood, waiting for the kettle to boil. “Morning VJ” Ruby smiled as she heard him enter the kitchen

“Morning” VJ replied

“You got Soccer practice today?” Ruby asked

“Yea. Mum or Roman aren’t up are they?” VJ asked as he sat at the table

“Roman is at work I think and I think your mum is in the shower” Ruby replied “Why?”

“I thought they’d forgot. Aunty Charlie usually takes me but because Rachel told her to take things easy and only do a few things, mum said she would take me to Soccer” VJ replied

Ruby smiled “Listen, Aunty Charlie will be able to take you to soccer next week. She just has something to do today with me”

VJ smiled “Aunty Charlie is taking me next week?” Ruby nodded “Cool”

Leah walked into the kitchen with the towel wrapped around her head, drying her damp hair underneath. She smiled to Ruby and VJ as she opened the fridge to grab some butter and jam before she placed to slices of bread in the toaster. “Morning. So, you looking forward to your day with Charlie?” Leah asked as she leaned against the side and waited for her toast to pop up

“Yea. Its going to be great. Now that she’s been told that she doesn’t have any more hospital trips and her leg is fine, she doesn’t have extra things on her mind to worry about; its like I have the old Charlie back” Ruby replied with a smile that got bigger as she spoke “So, is Roman fully moved in yet?”

“He’s got a few more things to bring over. Are you sure you’re ok with staying with Nicole at Miles’ house?” Leah replied

“Miles is fine with it and Charlie has okayed it, so”

“Why don’t you and Aunty Charlie live with Angelo? Wouldn’t that make more sense?” VJ said as he poured himself a juice

“Angelo and Charlie have had a few things to worry about and haven’t had chance to think about that yet VJ.” Ruby replied

“But, Angelo loves Aunty Charlie, and Aunty Charlie loves Angelo. They should move in together and have you there with them. It’ll be like me, mum and Roman” VJ smiled

“Well, you tell Aunty Charlie that and see what happens” Ruby replied with a slight laugh as she looked to VJ and then to Leah.

VJ -happy with what Ruby had told him- headed outside to practice some of his footie moves whilst he waited for Leah. “So, Charlie has no idea?” Leah asked as she and Ruby pulled the chairs from the table close to each other and huddled in close,

“No not any clue. I guess its because she and I spend three days here and then four days at Miles’ and Angelo’s. I just hope Charlie likes the house” Ruby smiled

“So, when is Angelo showing Charlie? Or should I say telling Charlie?” Leah asked with excitement in her voice

“I think he’s going to say something tonight. Charlie has something to do this morning, and then she and I are going shopping for the rest of the day”

“Well, ring me and let me know Charlie’s reaction” Leah asked

“Yea, course I will, although, it might be Charlie that rings you and not me” Ruby laughed

“Mum!” VJ shouted as he stood at the window, looking through as he held his football in his hand

“Alright, I’m coming” Leah replied with a smile “That’s my cue to go. I’ll see you later” Leah said to Ruby as she placed a hand on Ruby’s shoulder

“Yea, bye” Ruby replied with a smile before she was taken by her conversation with Angelo…

Two weeks earlier

Charlie sat beside Angelo with her head resting on Angelo‘s chest. Angelo gently stroked Charlie‘s hair from her face, the soothing action causing her eyes to become heavy, and for tiredness to sink in. Yawning, Charlie took hold of Angelo‘s free hand and ran her thumb across it softly and gently. “If you‘re tired, go to bed“ Angelo whispered as into Charlie‘s ear

Charlie smiled as her eyes continued to become heavier “I‘m happy here“

Angelo leaned down and placed a kiss on Charlie‘s forehead before he continued to watch the film on TV. Ruby sat in the chair opposite Charlie and Angelo and smiled as she watched them. “What?” Angelo whispered as he looked to Ruby, noticing that she‘d had a firm gaze on them for a while

Ruby shook her head “Nothing“

“Ruby“ Angelo replied with a stern whisper

“This, right here, is everything Charlie has wanted for a long time. And now she has it. Its nice to see the smile return to her face so easily“ Ruby smiled

“This is what I‘ve wanted for the longest time too“ Angelo replied as he looked down to Charlie -who was now asleep- and kissed her forehead. Angelo then looked back up to Ruby, who had now returned to look at her book. “Can I talk to you about something?” Angelo whispered

“Yea, sure“ Ruby replied as she closed her book and placed it on the floor in front of her. “What is it?”

“I‘ll just put Charlie in bed, then I‘ll be out“ Angelo replied, to which Ruby nodded.

Angelo carefully moved himself slightly so that he had a better grip on Charlie. He placed one arm across Charlie‘s back -just near to her shoulders- and the other under her knees with her lower legs dangling over. Angelo slowly walked across the front room and into Charlie‘s room. Using his foot, he moved the duvet from near to the pillows until he could use his hand to move the duvet further down the bed. Angelo then gently placed Charlie into the bed. He eased her head down on to the pillow followed by the rest of her body onto the mattress. Charlie never moved as Angelo took a step back from the bed to look at Charlie as she slept. He smiled as he placed his hand on Charlie’s stomach “Night bub” He smiled before taking a step back and pulling the duvet back over Charlie. He placed a kiss on her lips before walking out of the room and back to where Ruby was sitting with two drinks on the table. “Thanks Rubes” Angelo said as he took the drink from the table and took a sip.

“So, what do you want to talk to me about?” Ruby asked as she watched Angelo lower himself into the seat next to her.

“Well, I’ve been thinking this for a while now, and….well, I want Charlie and you to move in with me” Angelo said

“Your place is a bit small isn’t it?” Ruby said

“I say I want Charlie and you to live with me and the first thing you say is my place is too small?” Angelo said, shocked and confused to the reply he just received.

“Sorry, but, with a baby on the way don’t you think a bigger place would be needed?” Ruby replied

“Again, I mention moving in and you talk about the size on my place?” Angelo repeated

“Angelo, you and Charlie have dragged this romance out for nearly four years; moving in with each other is just the right thing to do” Ruby smiled

“So, I have your ok to ask Charlie?”

Ruby looked confused “Why would you need my ok?”

“Charlie is your mum, and this affects you as well” Angelo replied

“I want you to move in together. I’m actually shocked that its taken you this long to actually mention moving in with Charlie” Ruby smiled

“So you’re ok?” Angelo asked once more

“Yes” Ruby smiled as she leaned over to Angelo and gave him a hug “So” Ruby began as she and Angelo parted “Have you thought of any places yet?”

Angelo shook his head “I wanted to ask you first before I did any searching. That and I thought my place would be ok for a while”

“How long is a while? Because, three of us there would be a struggle. Especially with me sleeping on the couch” Ruby replied

“Well, definitely in our own place before bub is born” Angelo said to which Ruby nodded “And it would have to be somewhere affordable, and close to the bay“

“I can keep my eyes open for new places if you want“ Ruby replied

“Would you? That‘d be a great help“ Angelo smiled “And, are you sure Charlie will want to move in with me?”

Ruby raised an eyebrow “Charlie loves you and she wants to be with you. Moving in with you would be something she would love“

Ruby finished her drink before she put it into the sink, ready to be washed. She then made her way in to the front room to grab her bag, ready to meet Charlie and Angelo at the front of the house to go to the hospital.

Angelo, Ruby and Charlie made there way into the hospital. Angelo had a smile plastered across his face, as did Charlie, but hers wasn’t so big and obvious. Ruby smiled slightly as she followed behind. Following the red line that was on the ground, Angelo lead the way to the OBGYN part of the hospital. “I’ve never seen this part of the hospital before” Angelo said as he took notice of what was around him

“I should hope you haven’t” Charlie replied as Angelo walked over to the cross section model of a womb

“What’s that?” Angelo asked as he pointed to something on the model.

Ruby and Charlie looked to each other and then back to Angelo “Ruby, please say you will be in the room with me when I‘m in labour” Charlie asked, slightly worried

“Why don’t you want me?” Angelo asked as he put the model down at sat beside Charlie

“Do you know what that model was of?” Ruby asked

Angelo looked to the -now broken- model and looked back to Ruby “Not really”

“If I said look at that sign and think biology?” Ruby asked as she pointed to the ’nursery’ sign.

Charlie and Ruby saw the cogs moving in Angelo’s head as he tried to piece everything together. “Oh” Angelo said

“Charlie Buckton” A nurse called out Charlie rose to her feet, shortly followed by Angelo and Ruby. “We’re ready for you, if you’d just like to follow me”

Charlie lay on the bed with her top rolled up. Gel was squeezed on to the rounded bump that came from Charlie’s stomach. The nurse placed the probe onto Charlie’s stomach and began to move it around. Soon enough the heartbeat was heard. A tear rolled down Angelo’s face and they streamed down Charlie’s as she looked at her baby on the screen beside her. Ruby bit her lip as she saw the shady grey outline of the baby that caused her to produce a tear. Angelo wiped his face with his left hand before he grabbed Charlie’s with his right.

“Three months and the baby is a good, healthy size. There is the baby’s head, there’s its arms and legs” The nurse said as she pointed each limb out. “I can also sex the baby for you” The nurse said “Would you like to know?”

Charlie shook her head “No……not yet” Charlie replied as she kept her eyes focused on her baby.

The nurse smiled “I’ll leave you to it then” she replied as she pressed a button on the monitor which caused the screen to capture the image of the baby. She them placed some wipes beside Charlie before leaving the room.

Holding the sonogram picture firmly in his hand, Angelo walked along the corridor which lead to Ross’ and Morag hotel room. No nerves showed on his face; only a smile and a tear in his eye. He stretched out his hand and knocked on the door. He waited patiently for an answer as Ruby and Charlie finally caught up with him. “You two took your time” Angelo commented as they stood behind him

“Well some of us can’t quite run yet” Charlie replied as she pointed to her leg. Although she could walk with just a slight limp, her speed wasn’t so good. A quicken pace could only take Charlie a short distance.

“Sorry” Angelo replied as he kissed Charlie’s forehead

“You might want to hide that” Ruby said as she pointed to the picture “Until we are actually sitting down I mean” She added as she saw the disheartened look on Angelo’s face. “You don’t want Morag or Ross knowing about the baby before you’ve have chance to tell them” Ruby added just before the door opened.

“Ruby? Angelo? Charlie?” Ross smiled “Come in” He said as he stood to the side, allowing them to enter the room. “What brings you here?”

“Do we need a reason to visit dad?” Charlie asked as she hugged her father

“I guess not” He replied as he hugged Ruby “Angelo” Ross smiled as he offered his hand to Angelo for him to shake

“Ross” Angelo replied as he shook Ross’ hand.

“Where’s Morag?” Charlie asked as she pulled her jacket over her bump and settled herself in the chair

“She’ll be out in a sec. She’s just put the kettle on” Ross replied as he, Ruby and Angelo sat on the various seats that were dotted around. “So, I hear that everything at the hospital went well”

“Yea, Rachel says I don’t have to go back for any more tests, well, until next year at least” Charlie replied

“I’m so proud of you sweetheart” Ross smiled as he reached over to Charlie and took her hand “If I knew about this moment ten months ago, then I wouldn’t have worried about you as much as I did”

“I don’t think any of us would” Angelo added as he took Charlie’s hand and squeezed it lovingly.

“I couldn’t find the custard cre……” Morag trailed off as she saw Angelo, Ruby and Charlie sitting in the room. “Oh, I didn’t realise we had company” Morag said as she looked to Ross

“Sorry, we were passing and thought we’d call in. Maybe we should have called first” Angelo began as he took the tray from Morag

“No, don’t be silly. I’ll go re-boil the kettle” Morag replied as she made to turn around.

“Actually, Morag. Can You stay?” Angelo said as he looked to Charlie who smiled at him. “We have something we’d like to tell you” Angelo smiled. Morag turned to face the Angelo, Charlie, Ruby and Ross once more. “Thanks” Angelo said as he looked to Morag. “Erm, well..”

“Why don’t you show them?” Charlie suggested as she looked to Angelo, who looked nervous

“Oh right, yea” He replied as he pulled the picture out from his pocket. The white outer sheet was a clear indicator of what was inside. A teary-eyed Ross smiled as he took the picture from Angelo. He opened it out slowly so he and Morag could see it. The smile on Angelo’s face grew bigger and, placing his hand to his side, he searched for Charlie’s hand as he kept his eyes focused on Ross and Morag’s reactions.

That evening…..

“You should have bought it Charlie. The little hat was so cute and tied in with the whole outfit” Ruby said as she walked through the doors and placed the shopping bags on the table, which caused Angelo to look up from his laptop and stare open-mouthed at the amount of bags Ruby had placed down.

“Rubes, it was a pink dress. I might not be having a girl” Charlie replied as she placed some more bags on the table

“Well, there was the same type of outfit in blue” Ruby said as she placed one hand on her hip

“And I might not be having a boy” Charlie replied as she mimicked Ruby

“Take it today went….well?…..Bad?” Angelo asked as he slowly walked up to Charlie and Ruby

“It was going great, until Charlie here decided not to walk passed any baby clothes stores or anything to do with a baby” Ruby replied as she pointed to Charlie

“Why not?” Angelo asked

“Its not that I don’t want to, its just, well, if I have no idea what we’re having, what is the point of buying loads of baby clothes that could be the wrong colour?” Charlie replied “And, I was hoping all of us could buy things together for the baby. So that is not just Ruby and me or you and me” Charlie added as she looked to Angelo and Ruby simultaneously.

“One little outfit wont hurt” Ruby said as she showed a small size with her index finger and thumb. Charlie couldn’t help but let a slight laugh out. ”And who knows, I may actually get the colour right” Ruby added as she grabbed her bags that had the clothes she had bought in and headed into the very small cupboard room that Angelo stored the things he couldn’t fit into the main part of the house.

“So it went well” Angelo asked Charlie after they kissed

“Yea, it felt like nothing had changed. that we were still Charlie and Ruby, like we were when we first arrived here and how we have been all of Ruby’s life. Seven months ago I would have never seen this for us” Charlie smiled as she wiped the tears from her cheek.

Angelo took Charlie’s hands in his. “I’ve been thinking for a while now Charlie. And, I’ve been looking too” Angelo began. He pulled one of his hands away from Charlie and wiped his upper lip “When we got home from the hospital after finding out you were pregnant, I got thinking about you, and me and Ruby and bub. We all can’t fit here at my place, its too small” Angelo wiped his upper lip once more “I think we should move in together” Charlie remained motionless. She continued to look into Angelo’s eyes. “Charlie?” Angelo said as he looked into Charlie’s eyes one at a time. “Charlie?”

Charlie blinked “Move in?” Charlie repeated

“Yea, you, me and Ruby” Angelo smiled. Charlie couldn’t find the words “You don’t think it’s a good idea?”

“No, I do, its just, you’ve thought about this for three months?” Angelo nodded “So that’s what was on your laptop?”

“Yea. I found a place, or at least some guy has found me. The place sounds great, a few miles from the bay, but it sounds great” Angelo replied “So, do you want to move in with me?” Angelo asked

:) I got connected again!!! lol, so, once again, thank you for the patience, you are all SO amazing :) and thank you for the :wub: comments xx

So, here is the chapter, and The next chapter will be up as soon as I have it finished (:lol) AND if I have a connection. Lets hope I do! lol

Chapter 113

Angelo waited in front of Charlie for her response. Ruby kept looking through the door, just to see and hear what was going on and whether or not Charlie would say yes or say no. Charlie blinked after what seemed a long time in her staring into Angelo’s eyes. Angelo took a deep breath -as though he was preparing himself for the worst outcome- and closed his eyes. Charlie placed her hands on his face, the connection of Charlie’s hands on his face caused Angelo to open his eyes. Charlie smiled as she made to speak “I would love to move in with you” Angelo’s face went from a slight frown to a elated smile. He lifted Charlie off the ground and span in a quick circle before placing her gently back onto the ground and kissing her. Ruby -who had heard Charlie’s response- ran excitedly into the room and wrapped her arms around Charlie, and then did the same to Angelo. Charlie smiled even more when she saw the excitement in Ruby’s eyes.

As they pulled away, Ruby was distracted by her phone ringing. Looking at the screen she saw Xavier’s name flash across the screen. “Hey Xave, what’s up?……Yea….ok, I’ll see you in five” Ruby smiled as she hung up the phone “Hey, I’m going to Xavier’s house. I’ll be back a little later” Ruby said to Charlie and Angelo as she made her way to the door.

Charlie smiled to Ruby as she walked passed Charlie to leave the house. When the door shut, Charlie looked back to Angelo and smiled as she looked deep into his eyes. Angelo smiled as he too, looked deep into her piercing blue eyes. They didn’t have to speak to one another, the look they gave each other was enough to say what they were thinking and feeling.

Gina and John sat on the couch as they watched the film that was playing on the TV. Xavier was sat at the table in the kitchen with a bowl of cereal, waiting for Ruby to knock at the door. As he brought a spoonful of cereal to his mouth, there was a knock at the door. Gina rose to her feet and answered the door. “Hi Ruby, come in”

“Hi Gina, thanks” Ruby replied as she made her way into the house “Hi John” Ruby said as she walked behind the couch and saw John sitting, watching the film.

“Hi love” John replied as he quickly glanced over his shoulder to look at Ruby before looking back to the TV.

“Didn’t you want any tea?” Ruby said with a laugh as she saw Xavier eating some cereal.

“I was still hungry” Xavier replied as he put his bowl on the side “So, there’s a new film out at the cinema. And I thought we could go see it”

“That sounds good. What film is it?” Ruby replied

“A car chase with girl and guy, so it should appeal to us both” Xavier replied as he checked that his wallet was in his pocket.

“Yea, sounds good” Ruby replied with a smile

Xavier looked to Ruby with a slightly confused look. “Ok, who are you and what have you done with Ruby?”

“What do you mean?” Ruby replied, with a not so big smile on her face

“The Ruby I know would moan about going to see a film with a car chase in. The last three films we watched together that had car chases in she fell asleep” Xavier replied

“I’m just really happy. And nothing is going to wipe the smile of my face. So if I was you, I’d take this opportunity to watch the film”

“Ok, I will” Xavier smiled “Bye mum, bye John”

“Yea, bye. Have fun” Gina replied and John waved

As they walked away from the house, Xavier took Ruby’s hand in his. “So, what’s got this smile on your face that this film wont wipe off”

“Angelo asked Charlie to move in with her and Charlie said yes” Ruby replied with excitement present in her voice

“About time” Xavier replied with a smile

“That’s what I said when Angelo asked me for my permission” Ruby replied

“Wait, hold on” Xavier stopped where he was stood “Angelo asked you for your permission?” Xavier asked, Ruby nodded “Why?”

“Well, he wants to move in with Charlie who is my mum so, I guess he wanted to make sure I was happy with that”

“And the smile on your face says that you aren’t so happy about that” Xavier replied sarcastically.

“Shut up” Ruby replied as she hit Xavier gently on his arm. Xavier rubbed his arm gently in the spot where Ruby’s hand once was. “Do you like it?” Ruby said as she held her arms out and spun in a circle

“Erm….Yea” Xavier replied as he looked to Ruby, trying to think of what she was meaning.

“You don’t know what I’m showing you, do you?” Ruby asked with a slight smile

“Not a clue” Xavier replied. “But I’m guessing you have only just bought it”

“Yea, Charlie and I went shopping at that new shopping centre that has just opened” Ruby replied

“Cool” Xavier said “Is that all you did? Shop I mean?” Xavier asked

“We talked” Ruby spoke as she began to walk along the path. Xavier watched her for a moment before beginning to walked after her.

“Talked about what?” Xavier asked as he walked along side Ruby. Ruby stopped and turned to face him. Her eyes were glazed with tears that were not of upset or happiness, but of confuse and of unsure.

“About us and how things wouldn’t change” Ruby smiled as a tear rolled down her face. Xavier brought his hand to Ruby’s face and wiped the tear from her cheek. “I don’t know what to do” Ruby added as she sat down on the stone wall. Xavier sat beside her and took her hand in his “I know Charlie loves me, and I love her too, so much and I can’t understand why I’m confused about this. It should be so simple for me, but, I can’t…I don’t know what to do”

“Don’t know what to do about what?” Xavier asked

“About what to call Charlie” Ruby replied

“Charlie hasn’t said anything about this to you has she?” Xavier asked

“No. I know that all she wants if some kind of relationship with me, I can see that and I want to have that with her” Ruby sniffed. “I remember when we heard the heartbeat. Angelo was so happy and Charlie didn’t acknowledge the baby. I saw her look straight to me. I knew then that she was worried about what would happen between us”

“But, I’ve seen you two together. You’ve been so close over the last few weeks” Xavier replied

“I know, that’s why I’m so confused” Ruby replied “One part of me wishes she wasn’t pregnant, and that we could just…that we could focus on us and what we have, but then the other part of me knows that Charlie deserves this. That Charlie deserves to be happy and I hate myself for even wishing that she wasn’t pregnant’ Ruby cried “But I know that Charlie is wanting to be with me as much as she can”

“Have you spoken to Charlie about this?” Xavier asked

Ruby shook her head “I don’t want to burden her with this”

“But you can’t bottle this all up Rubes”

“I wont. I’ll just…. I’ll think about things for a little longer before I talk about this” Ruby smiled

“Okay” Xavier replied. Ruby nodded and smiled before exhaling softly. Xavier broke the silence that had fallen between the two “So, you still wanting to see this film?”

After switching the light off in VJ’s room, Leah made her way into the front room where Roman was waiting on the couch, layed fully across with a bowl of popcorn resting on his stomach. Leah smiled at the sight and walked across to the couch, removed the bowl from Roman’s stomach and perched on the edge of the couch. Roman turned on to his side to allow Leah to lay in front of him on the couch. As she made herself comfy, Roman pressed play on the remote and the movie began. Leah reached down to the ground and placed the bowl of popcorn in front of her. As the opening of the movie began, Leah and Roman shared the same happy, content smile that needed no words; the actions spoke volumes of how they were feeling. They were in love, living together and had everything they wanted. Roman had finished his counselling sessions and was looking forward to starting the next chapter of his life with a strong relationship with Nicole, a loving girlfriend, a relationship with VJ that had blossomed from when Roman and Charlie were dating. And a salvaged relationship with Charlie: something that he treasured most as for so long, he blamed himself for her accident. Leah had the man that was in her dreams for so long; she had the life she had wanted, the life she saw every time she watched An Officer And A Gentleman. Roman was her Richard Gere and she felt so lucky to have him in her life. Her son was happy for Leah and loved spending time with Roman, her best friend had gotten her life back, and VJ was no longer on the doctors watch list for after effects of his appendicitis.

In truth, the year for Leah had started badly, turned worse, but looked brighter as the end of year beckoned. Next year looked to be a happy one for Leah. Her hand came to her face as she wiped the happy tear that fell from her eye. Roman didn’t notice Leah’s small action, he simply grabbed a handful of popcorn, placed it on his side and then took Leah’s hand in his, He squeezed it gently before kissing her forehead. Leah smiled with the contact of Roman’s lips on her skin, and turned her head to face Roman. ’I love you’ she mouthed as she looked into Roman’s eyes. ’I love you too’ Roman mouthed back.

“It looks alright” Charlie said as she looked at the laptop that was in front of her. “But..” Charlie trailed off as she bit her lip

“But what?” Angelo asked as he watched Charlie “Things aren’t moving too fast for you are they?” Angelo wondered after thinking for a while

“No” Charlie replied quickly “I want to move in with you. And I want to be in the house before the baby is born” Charlie said as she placed her hand on her stomach “But, I don’t know what it is, maybe its just because I haven’t seen the house, I know I’m looking at it right now, but its not the same thing as actually been shown the house by an agent”

Angelo placed his hand on top of Charlie’s. “I’ll call the agency tomorrow and arrange a showing”

A tear rolled down Charlie’s face “I’m been pathetic aren’t I?” Charlie said as she wiped the tear from her cheek

“No, you’re not being pathetic. Your being pregnant” Angelo smiled

Charlie laughed slightly at Angelo response “Four rooms, you sure that’s enough?” Charlie asked, sounding unsure as she read through the description again

“Yea, well, a bedroom for you and me, one for Ruby and one for bub. And then a spare for Ross and Morag if they decide to stay over” Angelo replied “Why? Were you only thinking about a three bedroom house?” Angelo asked

“No. Charlie shook her head “A four bedroom house would be great, but, will we have enough money?”

“Don’t worry about that” Angelo smiled “So, tomorrow I’ll give the agent a call and arrange a show around yea?” Charlie nodded “Will Ruby want to come do you think?”

“I’ll ask her when I see her tomorrow” Charlie replied

‘Why not ask her tonight?” Angelo asked

“Because I’m going to go for a bath and then I’m going to bed. I’m so tired” Charlie replied as she fought off a yawn.

“Room in the bath for one more?” Angelo asked

Charlie sat and thought for a minute, teasing Angelo as she looked at him “One more person wont hurt” Charlie said as she rose to her feet.

Angelo awoke to find himself alone in the bed. He looked to the table beside him, taking notice of the time 09:51. Smiling, he threw the covers from himself and climbed out of bed. He walked to the door and headed to the kitchen, thinking Charlie would be in the kitchen. He saw Ruby sitting at the table reading a magazine and eating her cereal.

“Morning” Ruby said as she looked up to Angelo

“Morning” Angelo replied, slightly distracted

“What’s wrong?” Ruby asked as she frowned, watching Angelo look lost

“Charlie wasn’t in bed when I got up. You haven’t seen her have you?” Angelo replied

“Not since last night. I got home at 11 and you and Charlie were in bed. And I’ve been up since half nine and haven’t heard anything until you got up” Ruby replied as she brought another spoonful of cereal to her mouth

Angelo was about to speak again, but the sound of a door opening interrupted him. Angelo’s face showed his relief as Charlie emerged from the bathroom. “Charlie” Charlie looked up upon hearing her name. She was pale and looked washed out, her steps were wobbly and her hair wasn’t as tidy as it usually was “Charlie? You okay?” Angelo asked as he walked over to Charlie and placed his hands on her waist, almost to keep her standing on her feet.

“I’m fine” Charlie replied with a nod “Morning sickness” She added.

“Shouldn’t you be over that though?” Ruby asked as she walked up to Charlie “I mean, isn’t it only supposed to last for the first trimester?”

“It can be through the whole pregnancy. And this isn’t the first time I’ve been like this” Charlie replied as she walked away from Ruby and Angelo and went to the cupboard and grabbed a glass which she then filled with some water and took a long drink.

“Are you sure that’s all it was?” Angelo asked as he made his way back over to Charlie. Charlie turned around to face Angelo

“Yes. I’m sure” She replied “Why?” Charlie said as she filled her glass up once more

“I woke up and you weren’t there” Angelo replied “And, why didn’t you wake me?”

“You were asleep and I didn’t want you have to wake up just to hold my hair back or do whatever people do when they help” Charlie replied before drinking some more of her drink

“Charlie, I want to be as involved in this pregnancy as I possible can” Angelo replied as he placed his hands on Charlie stomach “The good and the bad”

“Aren’t you sweet” Charlie smiled as she kissed Angelo on the lips.

“So, what did you think of the house?” Ruby asked as she sat herself back down at the table

“We have an appointment this afternoon with the agent” Angelo replied as he walked to the cupboard to grab a bowl.

“When did you make that phone call?” Charlie asked slightly confused as to when Angelo made the phone call. Considering they had a two hour bath and then fooled around for a while after

“I rang just after you fell asleep. What you said just kept echoing through my head, and I just thought I’d ring” Angelo smiled

“At half ten at night?” Charlie questioned. Angelo nodded “Fair enough. So, what time is our appointment?”

“It’s at four. But it wont be for the house we were looking at” Angelo replied

“Why not?” Charlie asked

“Someone had already put an offer in. But the bloke says there are seven other properties he can show us”

“Can I go too?” Ruby asked “I mean, if I’m going to be living there too I have to like the place”

“Yea you can come” Charlie smiled. “Anyway, how did your date with Xavier go?” Charlie asked as she sat beside Ruby

“It wasn’t a date. We just went to see a film. Although, we didn’t get to the cinema. We ended up going to the diner for while and then we talked on the beach”

“Yea, Rubes? Food and a walk on the beach? That’s a date” Charlie smiled

“Ok fine, it was a date” Ruby smiled

“Take it everything is going well? Judging by that grin you have on your face” Charlie said as she pointed to the smile on Ruby’s face

“It went really well. I can talk to him so easily about everything. And he doesn’t treat me differently after finding out about…..” Ruby trailed off

“Finding out about what Rubes? About that I’m your mum?” Charlie finished.

“Yea“ Ruby agreed as she nodded her head slightly “I was expecting everyone to treat us both so differently after they found out. But they haven’t. Don’t get me wrong, I’m so glad that everyone hasn’t become awkward around us and that they don’t give us snide comments and looks, but its just, I was expecting something” She added as she focused her eyes on her hands and looking up to Charlie every few seconds

“I know what you mean. But, I think because everyone has known us for such a long time, something like this wont change who we are to them. Its just to ourselves that we’ve changed” Charlie replied. The silence that had fallen upon the room was broken with the sound of Angelo’s mobile ringing. As he excused himself to go and answer the call, Ruby continued to read her magazine and Charlie made to eat her cereal. She paused, holding the spoon just slightly out of the bowl. “Are you sure you are okay with Angelo and I moving in together?” Charlie asked

“What? Charlie, yes, I am. This is something that you two just have to do. This has been four years in the making. Even Xavier thinks its about time that you and Angelo moved in together” Ruby replied as she placed the spoon back into the bowl and placed her hand on top of Charlie’s

Charlie smiled “What else have you told Xavier?” Charlie asked

“Nothing else. Just about you and Angelo moving in together” Ruby replied.

“So, you haven’t told him about the baby?” Charlie asked

Ruby’s eyes widened “Why would you ask me that? Charlie, this is your news to tell, not mine”

“Rubes, its fine. I know Xavier already knows” Charlie smiled

“How do you know he knows?” Ruby asked

“Because I saw the look on his face when I went to the diner just after we found out. He didn’t say anything to me, and he didn’t make a big deal out of it, but someone bumped into me when I was buying a muffin and a drink. I knew then that you had told him”

“I didn’t mean to, it just slipped out” Ruby replied as she brought her hands to her face

“Like it did with Morag?” Charlie replied. Ruby bit her lip. “I figured you told her, when she came back into the room she acted differently around me”

“I am so sorry Charlie. Maybe next time something happens you should just not tell me” Ruby replied as she placed her hand over her mouth. Charlie couldn’t help but laugh “Its not funny. You’d have thought I would have learnt my lesson after Xavier blurting out to everyone that you are my mum”

“It’s a little bit funny” Charlie smiled. “Tell you what though. Next time you want to blurt this out, make sure its with enough people to hear so that I don’t have to tell anyone”

“Why don’t you want to tell anyone?” Ruby asked “I think all you have to do is wear a tight top and people could figure that out for themselves”

“Its not that I don’t want to tell people, because I do. Its just….” Charlie trailed off as she ran her finger across her stomach

“Its just what, Charlie?” Ruby asked as she placed her hand on Charlie’s free hand. Charlie remained silent and kept her eyes firmly on her stomach. “Its not these dreams that are bothering you is it?”

“I know they’re in jail and that I’m safe, its just, its so real. I can feel everything they do, I can hear everything they say. Last time I dreamt something like this, it was….it was sort of like what I have now”

“Charlie, just because that one seems to be coming true, doesn’t mean that this one will. Angelo wont let anything happen to you or to the baby. He loves you too much and wont want to loose you or the baby. And you have me” Ruby replied as she squeezed Charlie’s hand “I’ll be with you until the end, remember?”

Charlie looked down at her hand. The action of Ruby squeezing caused a smile to appear on her face “Thanks Rubes. I know this can’t be easy on you”

“What can’t be easy on me?” Ruby asked as she looked to Charlie

“This” Charlie replied as she placed her hand on her stomach “I saw the look on your face. Rubes…..”

“Charlie, please. I’m happy for you, I really am, but…I just need to work out a few things in my own head first. I will talk to you about everything. But, can you wait until I’m ready please?” Ruby said as she bowed her head

“Take as long as you need” Charlie replied as she placed her hand on Ruby’s cheek and gently stroked Ruby’s cheek with her thumb. “I’ll wait. And it doesn’t matter how long it takes”

That afternoon….

As they followed the agency man -Kent- into the seventh house, Angelo took notice of the surroundings whilst Charlie and Ruby continued their conversation they started at the second house.

“Maybe you should have found out what you’re having. Painting the nursery would be so much easier then”

“Rubes, to be honest, I’d rather wait to find out what I’m having. It makes seeing the baby for the first time that bit more special” Charlie smiled

“Did you find out what you were having when you were pregnant with me?” Ruby asked, causing Charlie to stop in her tracks. “Sorry, you don’t have to answer that if you don’t want to”

“No, I want to. Its just…I never thought you’d want to know” Charlie replied

Ruby smiled “I didn’t think I would want to either, but, when I have chance to think about things in my own time, I’m able to make sense of things” Ruby replied “Does that make sense?”

“It does. Sort of” Charlie replied.

“Did you?” Ruby asked

“No. No I didn’t find out. And when you were born, I was so happy that I had a little girl” Charlie smiled

“Was there a reason behind that?” Ruby asked

“A silly one” Charlie replied “When me and Suzy, my friend, were younger, we always played mummies and we would always choose names for girls. I had that image in my head for the longest time; the smiles and laughs Suzy and I shared when we played with the dolls. So, when I was told you were a girl, it felt like something went right for me”

“That’s not silly. Its nice” Ruby replied as she placed her hand on Charlie’s arm

“Charlie. Ruby. Come here, look” Angelo smiled as he pointed to the pond that was in the garden. “Look, there’s a frog” Angelo pointed with a smile on his face

“There are other features to this house which I am sure will meet your requests. Four bedrooms, large lounge area” Kent said as he unlocked the door. “Can you remove your shoes please. The owner of this house has requested that we do so” Kent added as he stood in the hall with his shoes in his hand. Charlie, Ruby and Angelo all looked to one another with the same look on their face. “If you’d like to follow me” Kent said as Charlie finished taking her shoes off.

“You all moved in then love?” Irene asked as Roman walked into the kitchen. Roman turned to face Irene with a grin plastered across his face

“Yea, thanks. Took the last few things yesterday”

“VJ must be happy?” Irene asked

“Yea, all last night he was badgering me to play on his WII. I reckon I can play that game with my eyes closed” Roman said with a slight laugh “I supposed its better for me that he wants to do things with me then have him not do anything”

“What are we talking about?” Colleen asked as she walked into the kitchen and noticed that Irene and Roman were talking about something. Irene and Roman looked to each other and then to Colleen, shaking their head as they did so. “I didn’t come down in the last shower you know. You two are talking about something” Colleen replied as she grabbed the two plates that were on the side. Irene and Roman looked to each other and shared a little chuckle before Leah walked back into the kitchen, looking shocked and glancing over her shoulder every so often.

“What’s wrong with Colleen now? She’s walking around like she’s in a mood” Leah asked as she turned to face Irene and Roman

“Irene asked if I was moved in and we haven’t let her know” Roman replied

“Maybe we should. I mean, if she’s going to be like this, maybe we should tell her” Leah began

“Tell who what?” Colleen asked as she walked in carrying empty plates

Leah walked over to Colleen and placed her hand on Colleen’s arm. “Roman and I are living together”

Colleen smiled and threw the plates on the side “Congratulations” She said as she pulled Leah into a hug before making her way across to Roman and doing the same. “But..” Colleen said as she pulled away from the hug “What about Senior Constable Buckton? Don’t you live with her? I mean, I’m so happy for you both, and I’m not one to gossip, but, isn’t that a little unorthodox to move into the house where you ex is living?”

“Charlie is happy for us. And beside, she has Angelo”

“But Constable Risotto and Senior Constable Buckton aren’t living together. Last I heard they only went on one date. I haven’t heard anything else” Colleen replied “oh well. I suppose its up to you and if Senior Constable Buckton is happy for you, then I guess its alright. I’ll have to get you a housewarming present wont I?”

“Colleen, you don’t have to” Leah smiled

“I want to” Colleen smiled as she walked out of the kitchen and back into the seating area.

Irene, Roman and Leah all watched as Colleen made her way out. All looking confused and slight bemused to Colleen’s little happy rant.

“Speaking of Charlie and Angelo. I haven’t seen them for a while. Have you?” Irene said, realising that the last time she saw Charlie was a few days after the trial and that was nearly three months ago

“They’re ok, Charlie has just had the last of her rehab sessions. They really drained her so, all she has seemed to be doing for a while is sleep” Leah replied

“I mean, I saw her a few days after the trial, some guy bumped into her and I think it hurt her. The look on her face; I nearly said something to the guy”

“Maybe you should have, I mean if it looked to hurt Charlie that much….”

“Charlie insisted she was alright” Irene shrugged. “Anyways, you two having a housewarming party?”

“Maybe” Roman replied he and Leah looked at each other “We’ll see”

“I’d better get to work” Angelo said as he fastened his shirt.

“Okay” Charlie replied, slightly disappointed

“You sound disappointed there” Angelo smiled as he pulled Charlie close to him

“I wouldn’t say disappointed” Charlie teased, to which Angelo hit her gently on the arm. “I’m kidding. Its been nice spending this amount of time with you” Charlie smiled

“Yea. Yea it has” Angelo replied as he leaned down to Charlie and placed a kiss on her lips. Ruby walked in and screwed up her face

“Do you have to do that?” Ruby asked as she sat on the couch. Angelo and Charlie pulled away from each other

“Well, not anymore. I have to go to work now” Angelo replied. “Bye bub” Angelo smiled as he placed his hands on Charlie’s stomach. “See ya Rubes” Angelo said as he removed his hands from Charlie’s stomach and headed toward the door.

“Yea, bye” Ruby replied as she waved. Charlie walked from the doorway to the couch. She sat beside Ruby and looked at her. “What?” Ruby smiled as she looked to Charlie

“You ok?” Charlie asked

“Yea. Why would you ask that?” Ruby asked, looking to Charlie, slightly confused.

“Well, after you asked about when you were born, you sort of went quiet. I don’t like it when you go quiet Rubes, I rather have you talk to me” Charlie replied. Ruby nodded. A tear trickled down her face as she bit her lip. Charlie cupped her hands on Ruby’s face and used her thumbs to wipe the tear from her cheek. “Ruby, please, tell me what’s going on”. Ruby looked into Charlie’s eyes; She could see the worry in Charlie’s eyes. It was so clear. And Ruby hated that she was causing Charlie to worry, but the problem was, Ruby could only just get things clear in her own head. How could she find the right words to explain what was going on in her mind and have it making sense? “Please?” Charlie said once more, trying to stop the tear that wanted to escape her eye. Ruby exhaled as she broke eye contact with Charlie. Charlie placed her hands beside her. “Rubes, I’m sorry. You asked me not to push you and you said you’d talk to me when you were ready. You’re obviously not. I’m sorry, you don’t have to talk if you don’t want to. Its just, I hate seeing you like this” Charlie said as she placed her hand on Ruby’s. “You have been with me through everything, and you have been there for me when I have needed you. I love you for that Ruby, more than you will ever know” Charlie said as a tear rolled down her face. “And I’m going to be here for you, until the end” Charlie added before she rose to her feet, leaving Ruby alone in the front room.

I’m laying here, staring up at the ceiling. I see the flickering light from outside through my window. Its therapeutic but annoying. I suppose its keeping my mind of other things. Things that happened to me 18 months ago. I hate him. But, I look to my side and I see my little girl in the picture beside me; she‘s so perfect. And she‘s mine. I love her so much, but, I left her. She‘s at home with mum and dad. I keep remembering what happened. I don’t want to remember, because it was so awful, but I can’t help it. I hope to go back home one day and be a proper mother to Ruby. I make no sense when I talk to Aunty Michelle. I don’t know how she puts up with me. I know I have a daughter, I know that, but, I couldn’t cope, I couldn’t bond. I thought she hated me. I hope she doesn’t hate me, I hope I am able to return and have a bond with her, maybe I should go home. Maybe I should take responsibility for her. But I’m nowhere near ready. GOD,WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT!!!! Why? Why do I make sense to myself some days but not others?

Ruby closed the diary. Even Charlie battled with her own thoughts Ruby thought to herself as she glanced up. It was then that she decided that she would get her thoughts making sense and talk to Charlie about them.

Champagne was poured, tapas was served, sandwiches were eaten, music was played and presents were brought and placed on a table.

Leah and Roman welcomed each guest as they arrived at the house.

VJ had made a banner saying MUM AND ROMAN. MOVING IN he had spent most of the morning with his paints making sure the lines were straight and the spellings were correct.

“Do you like the banner? I did that” VJ beamed as he used his thumb to point at himself.

“Its very cool” Nicole smiled as she looked at the banner.

“Are you moving in here to? Because we don’t have enough rooms at the moment. Aunty Charlie and Ruby still live here. Angelo hasn’t asked her to move in with him yet which sucks, Angelo’s great and I want Aunty Charlie to be happy”

“Charlie and Angelo are happy VJ, and I’m not going to move in here, Roman and I have talked about that. But don’t worry, I will have a few sleepovers” Nicole replied

“Cool” VJ smiled before running off into the kitchen to grab himself a drink. “Aunty Charlie” He beamed as he saw Charlie walk in the house with Angelo just behind her “I’ll get you a drink” VJ added as he pulled away from their hug.

“Thanks VJ” Charlie replied as she rubbed her stomach when VJ turned his back

“You ok?” Angelo asked as he noticed Charlie rubbing her stomach.

“Yea, I’m fine. I just wasn’t expecting that” Charlie replied

“Here” VJ smiled as he handed Charlie and Angelo a glass each with some wine in

“Thanks VJ” Charlie smiled as she took one glass from him and Angelo took the other.

As they made there way into the front room where the other guests were, Angelo quickly drank his wine and then handed his empty glass to Charlie and taking her full glass away. Charlie gave him a quick look as if to make him stop making it obvious that she couldn’t drink. “We can’t say anything about the house or the baby tonight, this is Roman and Leah’s night” Charlie whispered to which Angelo nodded.

The party continued well into the night. Colleen was merry, and spilling more of her drink than she was drinking: Tony and Miles had fallen asleep on the couch; leaning against each other and still clutching their beer bottles as they snored: VJ had gone to bed: Marilyn and Sid were dancing to the music; and Angelo was slurring all his words after drinking six of Charlie’s glasses of wine and five of his own. “Charlie, to say I have seven glasses, you very aren’t drunk” Leah said as she pointed to Angelo

“Here, Charlie, have one more” Roman smiled as he went to pour Charlie some more wine.

Angelo quickly placed his hand over the top of the glass “Don’t. If she has one more glass, I’m gonna puke” Roman pulled the bottle away and shrugged his shoulders. Charlie looked to Angelo and had to put her hand over her mouth to stop her from laughing.

“Where are you staying tonight?” Leah asked as she tried to focus on Angelo or Charlie

“We’re going back to Angelo’s” Charlie replied

“What? You, Ruby and Angelo? Can you all fit?” Leah said

“Yea, we can all fit” Charlie smiled

“Because, you can all stay here if you want. You room is still there. We haven’t moved it” Leah said as she swayed back and forth on her feet. “Sid, Marilyn. You can stay if you want to” Leah added as she turned to face them as they continued to dance.

“Oh my giddy aunt! When did this happen?” Colleen gasped as a bottle of wine fell to the floor, spilling everywhere. Colleen tried to bend to the floor to pick the bottle up, but she nearly fell. Roman rushed to her aid and eased her on to the seat beside Miles and Tony.

“I’ll get it” Charlie said as she grabbed a towel from the kitchen and began to clean the mess up. Roman, Leah, Angelo and Colleen all watched as they swayed forward and back.

“Here, let me help” Sid said as he held his hand out to help Charlie from the ground. Charlie took his hand and eased herself up. Colleen watched very carefully as Charlie’s hand made contact with her stomach.

“Senior Constable Buckton!” Colleen smiled. She was about to speak once more when

“Charlie? Are you pregnant?” Marilyn asked as she saw the bump. Charlie swallowed, but couldn’t hide the smile on her face. “Oh my god, you are” Marilyn replied with excitement. “How far along are you? When did you find out? What are you having? Oh my gosh, this is so exciting!” She continued

Charlie remained stunned as Marilyn rambled on and on about things that seemed to merge together. The excitement in Marilyn’s body language caused Charlie to smile even more, even Angelo -who was close to toppling over- couldn’t help but smile at the enthusiasm Marilyn was showing.

“Well, all I can say is that its about time” Marilyn smiled, “And, what does Ruby think? Is she ok with this? Is she excited?”

“Marilyn, I think that’s enough of the questions” Sid said as he pulled Marilyn away from Charlie.

“Is that why you are ok for a lift home? And why Angelo is like that?” Leah asked as she pointed to Angelo. Who was stood with a boyish daft grin on his face.

“Yea, VJ gave Angelo and I a drink and Angelo didn’t give me chance to put it down” Charlie smiled “So he’s had a few drinks”

“Well. You both can stay here tonight. I don’t want you having to clean up after Angelo” Leah replied as she walked wobbly over to where Charlie was standing

“Actually, I think it’d be better if we did get home, thanks for the offer though” Charlie smiled “And, if I do have to clean up after Angelo, I’ll know what to do when the baby is born” Charlie added before hugging Marilyn, Colleen and Leah. Roman and Sid kissed Charlie on her cheek before they helped her to the car with Angelo.

The next morning……

With the house tidied and VJ at his soccer practice, Leah made her way to the diner. As she walked along the beach, she saw Charlie sitting on the sand, looking out to the horizon. Walking to where Charlie was, Leah sat herself next to Charlie.

“Congratulations” Leah smiled as she looked to Charlie

“Thanks” Charlie smiled as she and Leah leaned into one another and hugged.

“I just, can’t believe you are having a baby. I mean, I don’t mean it like it sounded, but…”

“I know what you mean. I’m the same” Charlie replied as she placed her hand on her stomach. “I keep waking up every morning and think I was dreaming”

“How far along are you?” Leah asked

“Three months” Charlie replied

“Aww, well, I’m really happy for you Charlie” Leah smiled “And for Angelo. Where ever he is” Leah added. “Where is Angelo?”

“He’s at work, he’s picking up extra shifts so we can put a payment down on a house” Charlie replied

“You’re moving altogether?” Leah smiled to which Charlie nodded “ Oh my god Charlie, this is fantastic. Why didn’t you say anything about this to me? About the baby or you and Angelo moving in together?”

“You and Roman we’re moving in together, I didn’t want to have that taken away from you” Charlie replied

“Charlie, you can’t keep something like this to yourself just because Roman and I said we were moving in together. After everything you have been though in the last year, you deserve to be happy. Nothing should stop you from showing people how happy about this you are” Leah replied as she took Charlie hands in hers.

“Well, Angelo Ruby and I looked at a few houses yesterday” Charlie began

“And?” Leah asked

“None seem to be good enough. I mean, we don’t want it to be too far from the bay. And we can’t really afford to go any further past River’s Wharf”

“What about the house on Milton’s Street? Its ten minutes from the bay at most and it just came on the market” Leah replied

“I’ll let Angelo know” Charlie smiled. “Thanks”

That afternoon

Angelo’s phone vibrated across the table. Ruby’s name flashed across the screen “Hello?….Yea…Why?…..Erm, yea can do…..ok I’ll see you in a bit” Angelo hung up

“Who was that?” Avery asked as he walked into the office

“Ruby. Listen, I have to go see her about something. And I wont be back this arvo, I’ll take it as holiday” Angelo replied as he grabbed his keys

“Ok, sure. Erm, I’ll see you tomorrow then” Avery replied as Angelo walked passed him and out of the office.

Ruby stood on the beach, hugging herself as the breeze from the water swept over her. Angelo walked along the beach until he was stood beside Ruby.

“Rubes” Angelo spoke quietly. Ruby turned to face Angelo. Tears stained her face “Rubes” Angelo sympathetically said as he wrapped his arms around her and brought her close for a hug.

Firstly, can I say thank you so much for the loyalty :wub: I have got from you, I have loved reading each and every one of the comments you have left me, they've made me want to write this fic and keep up with it because I know you've enjoyed reading. I hope this last chapter doesn't disapoint, I know its like a week since I posted the last chapter, but with Christmas (HOPE YOU ALL HAD A FANTASTIC TIME AND GOT EVERYTHING YOU WANTED) and with things going on at home, (and my stupid internet breaking grrrrrrrrrrr :angry: ) I haven't had the time to post.

Secondly, :wub: and a hug to all of you who have commented and read.

Hope you enjoy! :)

Chapter 114

After what seemed a while, Ruby and Angelo finally pulled apart. Ruby’s hands went straight to her face to wipe the tears that she felt embarrassed to show. Angelo wasn’t sure if he was able to wipe Ruby’s tears for her; he wanted to, as he felt that Ruby was apart of his family now, but he wasn’t sure if Ruby was ready for that. Standing apart from each other, Angelo waited for Ruby to compose herself and to look up to him. She had called him for a reason, but the reason -at the moment- seemed to be one of upset and despair.

“Sorry” Ruby sniffed as she wiped her eyes for the last time

“Don’t be” Angelo replied as he shook his head. “what’s wrong?” He asked as he looked to Ruby who glanced out to sea before looking back to Angelo

“Has Charlie told you what she and I talked about the other day?”

“You mean about the baby?” Ruby nodded. Angelo looked at Ruby and saw the change in how she held herself “Rubes, nothi….”

“Nothing will change, I know” Ruby butted in “its not about that” Ruby replied

“Then, what is it?” Angelo asked, hiding the small smile on his face that had appeared after seeing the slight one on Ruby’s

“When the baby is born, Charlie will be a mum -again- but, this time, she can have the baby from then on. She has you there to help and she doesn’t have to think about how she got pregnant in the first place. She can look at the baby and smile proudly. I know she was happy when I was born, but, look what happened a couple of months later” Ruby trailed off “I understand, and, I know that if it was me, I couldn’t have coped or handled it the way Charlie did” Ruby continued “but, I can’t help but fell a little jealous of the baby, and I haven’t met her or him yet. Does that make me a bitch?” Ruby asked as she looked up to Angelo with desperate eyes

“Rubes, it doesn’t make you a bitch. It makes you a sibling….or an aunty….. which ever you will be, and, its understandable that you would be a little jealous” Angelo replied

“Should I tell Charlie this? Or should I not because of stressing her out?” Ruby asked

“I wouldn’t tell her this. Well, not until you have….”

“Reached some sort of decision about sibling or aunty” Ruby finished. Angelo nodded. “And then there’s what do I call Charlie?”

“Call her Charlie. That is her name” Angelo replied

“You know what I mean” Ruby replied as she hit Angelo on the arm “I know she’s my mum, I know that and I know that the baby is going to be my sister or my brother, but, I don’t know if I should just pretend that I‘m ok with all this and just call Charlie m….”

“No, don’t lie about the way feel. If you do, then you’ll feel worse and how do you think Charlie and Ross will feel?“ Ruby nodded as a tear rolled down her face “Listen. I don’t really think Charlie cares what you call her, just as long as she has you in her life. She loves you so much Ruby, and I think all she wants is for you and her to go back to the relationship you had before you found out” Angelo replied. Ruby wiped her face and nodded in agreement as Angelo smiled softly.

“You’re right” Ruby cried “I know you are, its just, I was finally getting things clear in my head. And I was getting close to sorting out my life, and when we heard the baby’s heartbeat, I just went back to where I was before. I want Charlie to be happy, and I know that she’s happy with you and that the baby is something that she deserves, something that both of you deserve” Ruby sniffed “But, maybe its me, maybe I’m thinking too much into this”

“Rubes, Charlie isn’t going anywhere. I know that and so do you. All you can do is show Charlie that you…that…..”

“I’m not going anywhere either?” Ruby finished. Angelo nodded “Charlie said to me that she’ll always be there for me. Until the end” Ruby smiled “Maybe that’s enough. Maybe, that’s what I have needed to hear from Charlie” Ruby mumbled to herself

“Hear what?” Angelo asked, confused to what Ruby had said “Rubes, wait” He called out to Ruby as she made her way back to the top path above the sand

Two weeks later…

Leah, Roman, Colleen, Irene, Alf, Tony, Rachel, Miles, Marilyn, Sid, Romeo, Nicole, Xavier, Dex and Indi arrived at Angelo’s apartment to help move the large furniture and other things out of the apartment and into the moving van that waited at the bottom of the road, already filled with Charlie’s things from Leah’s house.

Charlie was stood behind the couch, ready to help Angelo and Ruby lift it into the moving van when Rachel walked over to her with Harry in her arms “Here you are Charlie” Rachel smiled as she handed Harry to Charlie “His nappy is changed already, there’s a bottle in his bag incase he gets hungry too” Charlie eyes widened.

“I was going to help move the stuff” Charlie replied as she took Harry in her arms

“You can’t move anything in your pregnant state Senior Constable Buckton. You sit down over there and wait with young Harry” Colleen replied as she pointed to a chair that hadn’t yet been moved

“Better get used to it Charles” Ruby smiled as she looked to Charlie, who held Harry close to her “This will be you in five months”

“Thanks Rubes” Charlie replied sarcastically as she made her way to the chair.

Sitting in the chair with Harry on her knees, Charlie watched as Angelo, Ruby and Romeo lifted the couch and walked out of the door with it. Tony and Miles grabbed as many chairs from around the table as they could, followed by Dex and Xavier carrying the table. Leah, Marilyn, Irene and Colleen were in the kitchen with boxes, packing away the silverware and the crockery into them. Sid began to unravel all the wires and cables from the TV set whilst Indi grabbed the cushions from the floor and made her way out of the apartment.

The apartment became bare as items were moved out. Miles, Tony, Sid, Angelo, Romeo, Romeo and Xavier then made their way into the bedroom to grab the mattress, the bed frame and the large furniture from the bedroom. Ruby, Nicole and Indi looked in the wardrobe for anything that may have been missed by Charlie and Angelo when they were cleaning out before everyone had arrived to help.

Harry began to whimper for his bottle, Rachel fought the urge to go to her young son, instead, she tapped Angelo’s shoulder, placed her finger on her lips and pointed to where Charlie was sitting with Harry. A loving smile appeared on his face as Charlie opened Harry’s travel bag and grabbed the bottle from the heated pouch. She shook the bottle to mix the milk then she removed the lid of the milk. Holding the bottle in her right hand she tipped it slightly so a bit of the milk landed on her wrist, as the lukewarm milk rested on her wrist, Charlie placed the bottle into Harry’s mouth and moved him slightly so that he rested comfortably on Charlie. Charlie gazed down at Harry as he sucked at the teat, swallowing the milk that gathered in his mouth, and smiled happily. It was in this moment that Charlie fully saw herself as a mother.

“Rubes” Angelo whispered to Ruby, who stood a couple of feet away “Look” Angelo added as Ruby turned to face him. Ruby looked to where Angelo pointed. She saw the smile on Charlie’s face and the ease in which Charlie had Harry resting on her stomach.

“She’ll make a great mum” Ruby smiled as she walked to where Angelo was stood. “Don’t you think?”

“I know she will” Angelo smiled as he continued to watch Charlie as she removed the empty bottle from Harry’s mouth. Charlie then brought Harry up to her shoulder and began to wind him. When he had burped, Charlie took the bib from around his neck and placed it into the bag followed by the bottle, she then took a wipe from the packet and wiped Harry’s mouth. “Five months is too long to wait” Angelo smiled

“The baby will be here before you know it” Ruby replied as Rachel made her way over to Charlie.

“Thanks Charlie” Rachel smiled as she took Harry from Charlie “Did he have all of his bottle?”

“Yea, its in the bag with his bib. Some dribbled from his mouth” Charlie smiled as she looked at the young boy who was near to falling asleep.

“Eleven months old and he still falls asleep after his bottle” Rachel smiled as he placed Harry into the car seat and placed his blanket over him. “That’ll be him now until we get home” Rachel said as she and Charlie walked away from the car seat.

“What can I help with?” Charlie asked as she walked over to Angelo, who had found something to do so Charlie didn’t know that he had stood and watched Charlie for the last ten minutes.

“We’re just about there” Angelo replied as he kiss Charlie’s forehead. “We just need to get all of this over to the new house” Angelo added as Alf, Sid and Miles made their way to the three vans that were used to take the furniture to the new house and sat in the drivers seat. Colleen, Leah, Roman, Nicole, Marilyn, Irene, Dex, Indi, Tony, Rachel and Romeo all made their way to the cars that were parked out front. Indi and Dex fought over who would sit in the front of Sid’s car -but Marilyn got in the drivers seat with Nicole in the front passenger seat-, Leah, Roman, Colleen, Irene and Xavier all got into Roman’s car and Tony, Rachel -who strapped Harry’s car seat into the car- and Romeo got into Tony’s car.

Angelo, Ruby and Charlie remained in the house for a little while.

Angelo stood in the -now bare- living room. A smile present on his face as he remembered everything that had happened to him in the front room -most of which included Charlie- and how they would be treasured to him. He then began to make his way around the room and headed to each room, each filled with different memories.

“Its strange this” Angelo said as he stood in the kitchen, causing Charlie and Ruby to look to Angelo . “I moved in here three years ago; single, new in town and with no girlfriend” Angelo smiled and began to walk over to Charlie “And now look: I’m in love with someone who has agreed to moving in with me and who is having my baby” Angelo placed a kiss on Charlie’s lips and a hand on her stomach. “Hi bub” Angelo’s eyes widened and Charlie’s hands went to her stomach also “Wow” Angelo smiled with a tear in his eye. “Bub’s awake”

“Can I feel ?” Ruby smiled as she tentatively walked over to Charlie and Angelo.

“Yea” Charlie smiled as she felt her unborn baby kick “Here” Charlie said as she took Ruby’s hands and placed them on her stomach where the baby was kicking.

“Wow” Ruby smiled “That’s amazing” she said as the baby continued to kick that hands of Angelo and Ruby.

“Three hours, 12 adults, 6 teens and one baby later, and this is us now” Angelo smiled as he, Charlie and Ruby sat on the couch. “Not bad” He smiled

“Angelo, we’ve only sorted the kitchen, the lounge, the conservatory and got the furniture into the bedrooms. We’ve got still got our room, Ruby’s room, the spare room and the bathroom to sort before we’ve done” Charlie replied

“And bub’s room. You forgot bub” Angelo added as he rubbed Charlie’s stomach

“Bub wont be born for another five months, you have plenty of time to get that sorted. And besides, I was going to ask if I could decorate it? Or at least help you and Charlie decorate the baby’s room. I’d like to help” Ruby said as she looked to Charlie and Angelo and smiled

“Course you can Rubes, you don’t have to ask” Charlie smiled as she took Ruby’s hand in hers

“Just don’t paint the room bright pink” Angelo replied

“Since when was the baby a girl?” Charlie smiled

“I’m only saying, that, if bub is a girl, I don’t want the room to be too pink. Maybe more of a not so pink colour” Angelo replied as he showed his thoughts on the colour pink

“How about you have the room like a creamy colour. That way if bub is a girl, a pink border can be put up to make the room more for a girl. And if bub is a boy, a blue border can be put up” Ruby suggested.

“I like that idea” Charlie smiled

“Me too. But, if bub is a girl, the border is the pinkest we’re going” Angelo replied

“Take it you want a girl?” Ruby asked

“I’d love to have a daughter; she‘d be a right daddy‘s girl. But, I’d love to have a son; someone to play footie with when he‘s older. To be honest, as long as its happy, healthy and has everything its supposed to have, I don’t care what we get” Angelo smiled as he looked to Ruby.

“What about you Charlie. What do you want?” Ruby asked as she looked to Charlie

“I really don’t mind. A happy, healthy baby is all I want” Charlie smiled as she placed her hands on to her stomach.

“Ok, I have a bed in my room, but that’s about it. I’m going to make a start on getting things sorted in there” Ruby said as she rose to her feet and made her way to the stairs

“Want a hand?” Charlie asked as she rose to her feet and made her way to ruby

“Are you sure you can help? I mean, in ten minutes you’ve yawned like, a million times” Ruby replied

“I’m fine to help” Charlie replied with a yawn “Besides, I have no bed to sleep in yet, until Angelo sorts it out” Charlie smiled

“How about I do my room, Angelo does your room and you do the bathroom” Ruby suggested as Angelo made his way to the stairs

“Ok, why do I get the bathroom?” Charlie asked as he put her hands on her hips

“Because there isn’t anything heavy to lift in the bathroom” Angelo smiled as he followed Ruby and Charlie up the stairs.

“Ganging up on me?” Charlie joked “Not very nice”

“Come on, we can have it done by eleven” Angelo smiled as he made his way to the main bedroom

“But, they need decorating” Charlie said as she leaned herself against the wall. “I can’t deal with the flowers in that room” Charlie said as she pointed to the door of what would eventually become her and Angelo’s room.

“I hate those flowers too” Angelo replied as he stood in the middle of the hall with his hands in his pockets.

“I like the colour in my room. it’s a nice turquoise colour. Maybe, we could sort out my room and all sleep in there until we have the full day tomorrow to decorate the bathroom and your room” Ruby suggested as she pushed the door to her room open.

“See, this colour I could go for” Charlie said as she looked at the colour on the walls.

Ruby and Angelo looked to one another and smiled before the took hold of the chest of drawers and moved them to near where the window was. Ruby then walked over to the bed and began to push it closer to the wall so the headboard was against the wall. Charlie took the rolled up rug from the bed and opened it out and lay it on the floor whilst Angelo pushed the wardrobe into one of the alcoves that was at the bottom end of the room. Ruby opened one of the five suitcases she had and rummaged around until she found the clean bed linen. Ruby then handed the bed linen to Charlie so she could change the bed whilst Ruby and Angelo made a start on moving the mirror table to the other side of the room. Ruby then pushed the chair under the table whilst Angelo turned to see if there was any more furniture to put in the room. Upon seeing the single sofa chair that pulled out into a single bed, he made his was over to pick the chair up, as it wasn’t too heavy, Angelo was able to move it by himself. Ruby told him where to put the chair down.

“Here” Ruby said as she handed Angelo the duvet, the quilt, a pillow and pillowcase, and a sheet to Angelo “I’ll sleep on that”

“No, you and Charlie share. I’ll sleep on here” Angelo replied as he tried to figure how to unfold the bed “I don’t mind”

“Okay, if you’re sure” Angelo nodded as he continued to fight with the chair “here” Ruby smiled as she pulled the leather tag which unfolded the bed “Genius”

“Thanks” Angelo blushed as he then began to make the bed.

“Looks good” Charlie smiled as she turned to look around the room. “So, who’s sleeping where?”

“You and I are in my bed and Angelo is on there” Ruby replied as she pointed to the little bed that was now taking shape “When he gets it sorted” Ruby said causing herself and Charlie to laugh.

Awaking the next morning, Charlie quietly crept out of Ruby’s room and down the stairs. She wasn’t sitting alone for long as Ruby made her way into the kitchen.

“Morning” Ruby smiled as she went to the fridge and grabbed the last bottle of juice “Sleep well?” Ruby asked as she sat beside Charlie

“Yea” Charlie replied with a smile “You?”

“Yea” Ruby laughed

“What’s that laugh for?” Charlie asked

“I’m just….All I could see was that night when you and me had that sleep over, do you remember?” Ruby asked

“Yea. You were six and you loved the little mermaid. We stayed up until one in the morning eating the marshmallow squares you made at school” Charlie smiled

“And you were late for work the next day because of it” Ruby smiled “but you didn’t care” Ruby continued as she became teary-eyed. Charlie reached over and placed her hand on top of Ruby’s “I always pictured that every time I watched the little mermaid for the longest time. Even after you moved of properly”

“I had moved out properly then Rubes” Charlie smiled

“Yea, I know, but, I meant when you didn’t come around to the house as often as you did” Ruby replied

“Morning” Angelo yawned as he entered the kitchen

“Morning” Charlie and Ruby replied as Angelo walked over to Charlie and kissed her gently on the lips before sitting beside Charlie

“Any idea on colour patterns?” Angelo asked as he grabbed a slice of Charlie’s toast

“You want to start decorating today?” Charlie asked as she tried to take back the slice of toast

“May as well get a head start, you know, before you get any bigger and can’t help as much” Angelo replied as he tried to keep Charlie from the toast. Charlie retracted her hand and brought it to her face. Angelo had a look of worry on his face.

“I thought you said I looked beautiful” Charlie said with tears in her eyes.

“Oh god, I didn’t mean it the way it sounded, I just meant…. I just meant that..” Angelo began, “Erm, here” Angelo handed Charlie her toast back

“Thanks” Charlie smiled as she bit into the toast

“What?”

“I’m going to have so much fun with you” Charlie smiled as she placed her hand on his cheek

“You’re mean, you know that?” Angelo smiled as he bit the toast that Charlie offered him “Mean”

“You love me” Charlie smiled “So, maybe a soft red for the bathroom” Charlie suggested

“Oohh, I like the sound of that” Ruby said as brought the bottle to her mouth once more.

“Morning love” Irene smiled as Charlie and Ruby walked into the diner

“Morning” Charlie replied as she made her way up to the counter, with Ruby right behind

“What can I get you?” Irene asked as she wiped her hands down her apron and looked to Charlie and Ruby

“We’ve just had breakfast at home so I do…….”

“Please can I get the blueberry pancakes?” Charlie asked as she looked at the breakfast menu that was up behind Irene. Ruby raised her eyebrows as she looked to Charlie

“Charlie, you just had two slices of toast at home” Ruby said with a slight laugh

“I know, but I’m still hungry and this is the first time in three weeks where I don’t feel nauseous” Charlie smiled

“How long have you got to go now?” Irene asked as she looked to Charlie

“Just under five months” Charlie replied as she put her hand on her stomach.

“Have you got any names picked out?” Irene asked

“Angelo had a few suggestions, but I really don’t know” Charlie replied

“I had no idea with mine, and when they were born, I took one look at them and I knew then what I had to call them. Maybe that’s what you and Angelo have to do” Irene smiled

“Did you find out what you were having?” Charlie asked

“No. I wanted it to be a surprise. I think its nicer to find out when you’ve had the baby and are holding it in your arms” Irene smiled

“I wanted to know. Charlie’s letting me decorate the baby’s room, but because I don’t know which colour scheme to use, I have to go neutral” Ruby said as she grabbed one of the ready made smoothies from in front of the counter

“Speaking of the baby’s room, how are you all settling in?” Irene asked. Charlie and Ruby laughed slightly before looking back to Irene

“Erm, downstairs is fine and so is Ruby’s room” Charlie replied “Its just, Angelo and my room and the bathroom that need sorting”

“And the baby’s room and the spare room and the hall and the stairs and the closet at the end of the hall” Ruby listed “Ross and Morag have said they would come over and help finish off the place”

“That’ll be nice, having your dad there. How is your dad?” Irene replied

“He’s fine. Happy that Angelo and I are living together” Charlie smiled. As she was about to speak again, she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. “Excuse me” Charlie said as she rose to her feet and made her way outside “Hello?……You’re there now? No, we’re at the diner……I got a little hungry……No, not yet…..now?…..ok, be there soon…..love you too” Charlie put her phone back into her pocket and walked back into the diner. She walked over to where she had left Ruby and Irene “Irene, sorry, can you cancel the pancakes”

“Yea, no worries darl. Erm, nothing is wrong is it?” Irene said

“No, its just Angelo. He’s got the day off work -again- and he’s at the DIY store in Yabbie Creek. Looking at paints”

“He doesn’t waste any time does he?” Irene laughed as she watched Ruby and Charlie leave the diner.

VJ ran into the diner, clutching his football in his hand. He panted heavily as he caught his breath. “Was Aunty Charlie just in here?” VJ asked as his breathing returned to normal.

“Yea” Irene smiled upon hearing ‘Aunty Charlie’ spoken from VJ’s lips. She remembered the first time she heard VJ call Charlie ‘Aunty’ and how VJ light up whenever he said it, just like he was now “She and Ruby are going to the DIY store” Irene finished as she made her way to the fridge so she could make VJ his usual chocolate milkshake

“Why?” VJ asked as he sat at the counter. “I thought they had everything for there house”

“They do, they just want to redecorate, you know, make it their own” Irene smiled as she handed VJ his milkshake. VJ took a sip, looking deep in thought before he faced Irene once more

“Do you think I could help them?”

“Erm, you might have to ask your mum and then you might have to ask Charlie before you help” Irene replied

“Roman’s taken mum somewhere today. I was supposed to be with Peter and his mum and dad, but I got bored. I know I should stay with them, but they just so boring”

“You can stay here with me, I’ll keep an eye on you. And if you want, I can ring your mum and see about helping Charlie and Angelo and Ruby”

“Thank you Irene” VJ smiled as he took another sip of his drink.

Irene shook her head and smiled as she watched VJ blow bubbles in his milkshake before he would actually drink any. She picked up the phone and proceeded to dial Leah’s number. She explained to Leah that VJ was with her and why he had left Peter and his mum and dad, Leah told Irene that she would have a chat with him about running off when she got back, and that VJ could help, but only if Charlie, Ruby and Angelo were happy for him to help. Irene said her goodbyes before placing the phone back onto the stand. She then walked over to her bag and scrolled through her phonebook, looking for Charlie’s mobile number, she dialled Charlie and asked if it was ok for VJ to help do the decorating. Irene smiled as she hung up the phone. “Erm, VJ. Angelo will be here to pick you up as soon as they have finished at the store. Your mum isn’t too happy that you ran off though, its not good”

“I know.” VJ sadly replied as he bowed his head. “But, mum has said I can help?”

“Mmhnm. And Charlie has said that’s fine” Irene smiled

“Cool” VJ smiled as he finished his milkshake and then turned to face the door, waiting for Angelo to come and pick him up.

“Do we really need all of this stuff?” Charlie asked as she reached into the trolley and grabbed the yards of blue and pink border.

“Yes Charlie” Angelo said as he took the borders out of Charlie’s hand and put them back into the trolley “We do”

“But, we’re having the one baby, and we don’t know what it is. We don’t have to buy four rooms worth of both colour orders” Charlie replied

“I’m with Charlie. Put three of each back and keep one pink and one blue. That way we’re covered” Ruby suggested

“I guess” Angelo replied “But, which one are you going to put up?”

“I’m not going to put the border up after the walls have been painted, the border will only take ten minutes tops, and I can do that when Charlie and the baby are home” Ruby replied as she looked at the two borders. “This isn’t pink enough”

“Its just right Rubes” Charlie said as she grabbed the border before Ruby had chance to put it back on the shelf and grab the shade darker -which was close to been luminous- from the shelf above.

“Okay, and what about this blue?” Ruby asked as she held up the blue border. “Is this blue enough?” Charlie nodded “Good” Ruby smiled as she put it back into the trolley. “So, we have the paint for bub’s room, the borders ready for her or him, we have the cream and red tiles for the bathroom and the paint to match, we have the iced crimson blue for your room. Is there anything else we need?” Ruby asked as she looked into the trolley and visually made a list of what they had. “Drapes, do we need drapes?” Ruby asked as she looked up to Charlie and Angelo, who both had a smile on their face “What?” Ruby asked as she wiped her mouth and brushed her hands down her top “Have I got something on me?” Ruby asked as she continued to brushed her hands down her top and wipe her mouth

“No” Charlie replied with a laugh

“Then, what is it?” Ruby asked as she slowly lowered her arms and placed them at her side

“Just you” Charlie smiled as she placed her arm around Ruby and proceeded to walk down the rest of the isle toward the checkouts.

“Three hours to dry” Charlie read “what time will that make it?”

“Nine” Ruby shouted from the bathroom. “But the bathroom wont be dry until eleven at this rate” she added as she pushed a strand of hair away from her face and continued to paint the wall near the sink. Charlie walked out of her and Angelo’s room and into the bathroom. Ruby had managed to put the tiles up -after Charlie had started to do it- and get the two of the three walls painted.

“Where are the brushes?” Charlie asked as she sat on the edge of the bath near to where Ruby was painting.

“Angelo took them and has hidden them. He doesn’t want you painting”

“Why can’t I paint?” Charlie asked “The paint is non toxic”

“Try telling Angelo that” Ruby replied

“Charlie? What are you doing in here?” Angelo asked as he walked over to Charlie

“I’m trying to help decorate my house, which is hard to do, especially when someone keeps hiding the brushes” Charlie replied

“Charlie, I don’t want you painting”

“Angelo would you stop” Charlie snapped. “I know you are only looking out for me and for the baby, but, I can do things for myself; I know I’ve had to rely on you so much over the last year, but I can do things for myself now. All I want to do is help you and Ruby decorate our house” Charlie continued before turning around and storming out of the bathroom. She slammed the bedroom door shut and fell onto the bed in tears. Angelo opened the door to the sound of Charlie crying.

“Charlie?” Angelo whispered, but Charlie never moved. Bowing his head, Angelo made his way over to the bed. Charlie pulled her legs closer to her chest -or at least as far as she could with bub there- “Charlie, I’m sorry. I never meant to upset you or make you feel like that. I just…..I just don’t want anything else bad to happen to you. I have loved making you happy and I love that you are more than happy right now. And I just don’t want anything to go wrong” Charlie turned to face Angelo. She wiped the tears from her face and took Angelo’s hands in hers “Charlie” Angelo said but Charlie placed her finger on Angelo’s lips. Angelo looked into Charlie’s eyes and smiled as Charlie moved closer to him.

“Hello?” Ruby said as she answered the phone “Oh, hi Leah……..yea he loved it…..he helped Charlie paint the main bedroom and the spare room. Angelo dropped him back at yours, he got back just over half an hour ago……yea, the place is beginning to feel like home….yea…….ok, thank you Leah…..yea, se you tomorrow, bye” Ruby hung up and made her way back to the bathroom. There was just a little patch left to do, which Angelo or Charlie would have to do as Ruby couldn’t quite reach. Ruby stood in the middle of the bathroom, admiring her work and couldn’t help but feel proud of herself. The colour on the walls looked great and the patterning she had done with the tiles was different -kooky almost- and she liked it.

“You missed a bit” Angelo smiled as he pointed to the patch of wall that was still the flowered pattern.

“I know. I can’t actually reach that. Can you paint it for me?” Ruby replied as she handed Angelo the brush. Angelo took the brush from Ruby and ran the brush along the wall to cover the last patch. Within a few minutes the patch was painted and looked good.

“Done” Angelo smiled as he too, admired the paintjob.

“Just bub’s room to do now” Ruby smiled as she made her way to the door.

“Maybe we should call it a night and start the baby’s room tomorrow” Angelo replied as he put the brush in the turps and put the lid back on the paint.

“You might want to start it the day after. Tomorrow is my scan” Charlie said as she leaned herself against the door.

“But, you’ve had like, three scans already” Angelo replied as he walked over to Charlie

“I know, but, Rachel and Sid both said I’d need more regular scans considering” Charlie replied as she placed her hand on her stomach.

“So, can we find out what we’re having?” Angelo asked as he placed his hand on top of Charlie’s

“Do you really want to?” Charlie asked

“No” Angelo replied “Yes….no….I don’t know”

“Decisive” Ruby laughed

“Well, some day’s I want to know. Just so I can say: this is my son Jordy. Or this is my daughter Millie”

“Jordy? Really?” Ruby asked as she raised an eyebrow

“What’s wrong with that?” Angelo asked

“Nothing, its just, it wouldn’t be my first choice” Ruby replied

“What’s that?” Colleen asked as she saw a bag on the side with Charlie and Angelo’s name on the tag

“Its something for Charlie and Angelo” Leah replied as she turned to face Colleen and see what Colleen was looking at

“For the house?” Colleen asked.

“And for the baby” Leah added

“What is it?” Colleen asked as she tried to peek in the bag

“Never you mind” Leah replied as she took the bag from the side and put it in the cupboard with her coat over the top.

“Maybe I should get them something. After all, they are my family”

“Only just Colleen” Leah pointed out

“Its enough” Colleen added as she picked up a couple of plates and walked out of the kitchen.

“What was that?” Roman asked as he walked out of the store, carrying curry powder “Only just”

“Colleen saying she is Charlie’s family. She saw the bag that has the bits in for Charlie, Angelo and the baby” Leah sighed

“How is Colleen their family?” Roman asked as he sprinkled some of the powder on to the chicken

“Morag is married to Ross. it’s a technical speaking relation”

“And by technical you mean, if Charlie and Ruby are willing to voice that Colleen is part of their family?”

“Roman” Leah laughed as she hit Roman on the arm with the cloth

“I’m kidding. Sort of” Roman mumbled “So, when are we taking it around to their place?” Roman asked as he stirred the chicken into the vegetables that were simmering in the pan

“Well, Charlie has another scan today, and I swear I heard VJ say that they were still decorating. So, maybe we should call before we go around”

“I thought the house was already decorated” Roman said

“It was, but there were flowers involved in the wallpaper” Leah replied

“That would explain it” Roman smiled “Why is Charlie having another scan? I thought the woman only had two? One to confirm and one at twenty weeks”

“Charlie hasn’t had her twenty week scan yet“ Leah replied

“I thought she had”

“No” Leah smiled “It seems like she has because of the amount of scans she’s already had. But tomorrow is her twenty week scan”

Charlie lay on the bed and rolled her top up. Rachel squeezed the gel onto her stomach and began the ultrasound. Soon enough, the heartbeat was heard. A tear rolled down Charlie’s face as she gazed at the image of her unborn child on the screen. Angelo’s grip and her hand became tighter as he smiled at the sight of his baby and the sound of its heartbeat.

“Can you hear it Charlie? His….her….its heartbeat…its strong” Angelo smiled as he quickly looked down to Charlie, who nodded with tears in her eyes.

“Perfect for a twenty week gestation. Everything looks good, the baby is a good size and has everything it should have” Rachel smiled “See its feet? And its hands?” Rachel smiled as she pointed to the features “Look, its waving, saying hi mummy, hi daddy, hi Ruby”

“Its amazing” Ruby smiled as she edged closer to look at the screen. The outline of the baby was so clear. Its features were easy to spot: the spine, the hands, the feet, the head. Everything. Ruby felt a tear fall from her eye. As she wiped the tear from her cheek, she looked to Angelo, who lean over Charlie and placed a kiss on her forehead and she smiled to herself; I know

“Peter” Angelo suggested

“No” Charlie replied

“Why no Peter?” Angelo asked

“Because I didn’t get Nathaniel”

“Because that’s two names in one” Angelo replied “How about Johnny”

“No” Ruby said

“Why not Johnny?”

“Because of the initials” Ruby said “JR. Didn’t you ever watch Dallas?”

“I never thought of that” Angelo smiled “erm, how about Edward?”

“No” Ruby and Charlie said in unison

“Why? What’s wrong with that one?” Angelo asked “Ok, fine. How about we see about a name for a girl?”

“Tabitha” Ruby suggested

“No” Angelo said as he shook his head “Sammy”

“Maybe….” Charlie smiled “Eve”

“No” Angelo replied “But you like Sammy?”

“I do yea” Charlie smiled

“I like it too” Ruby spoke from the back seat “and I like Jessica, Mia, Charlotte, Adelle, Calleigh, Kaylee, Faye…..”

“Rubes, I’m only having the one baby” Charlie smiled “But I like Kaylee and Faye. And I love Sammy and Charlotte”

“So our short list so far is: Sammy, Charlotte, Faye, and Kaylee for a girl, and nothing for a boy” Angelo said as he turned the car into the drive

“Well, how about Tom?” Charlie suggested

“Meh” Angelo said

“Meh? What’s meh?” Charlie asked

“I like it…..but I have a really annoying uncle called Tom. You know how it is, if you name a child after someone, they are immediately at your house and then they don’t leave”

“Ok, what are your suggestions then?” Charlie asked

“Oliver, Daniel, Chris, Toby, Alex, Freddie” Angelo replied

“I love the name Freddie. Ooh, and Danny for Daniel” Charlie replied as she brought her hands to her chest.

“So we have four names for a girl and two for a boy?” Angelo asked

“Yes” Charlie replied

“So, your going for one of those six names?” Ruby asked as she, Angelo and Charlie unbuckled themselves from the car

“Yes” Charlie and Angelo replied in unison.

three and a half months later…

Charlie and Angelo walked along the beach. Never had they taken in how beautiful the beach actually was until now. Charlie had no more worries about her health or Clyde, Bobby and Yasmin been out to get her as the dreams of them had stopped and were replaced with what her life would be like with Angelo, Ruby and the baby.

“Thank you” Charlie said to Angelo as she suddenly stopped and stood in front of Angelo, smiling as she looked into his eyes

“For what?” Angelo asked

“For been there for me and for just been you” Charlie smiled as she cupped her hands around Angelo’s and brought them close to her and placed them on her stomach “This baby was something I thought I only saw to keep me going. I never thought that dream would be real; but look. I have no bars, I’m with you, I have Ruby in my life and we are having a baby. You being with me until the end has meant so much to me. I love you Angelo and I love what we have together”

“I love you too Charlie” Angelo smiled as pulled her closer to him and kissed her softly. Angelo wrapped his arms around her as the kiss became more passionate.

Charlie pulled back from him and looked deep into his eyes. Her hands went straight to her stomach “Ooh, someone is awake” Charlie smiled

Angelo smiled and placed his hands on Charlie’s stomach. The baby kicked once more “Oh wow” Angelo smiled as he felt his unborn child kick his hands “I can’t believe we’ll meet bub soon. Three more weeks”

“We still need a name” Charlie replied as Angelo looked back to Charlie

“I thought we were going to go with Danny if it was a boy and Sammy if it was a girl” Angelo replied

“I know, but, bub doesn’t feel like he will be Danny or she will be Sammy. I’m sorry” Charlie replied as she put her hand on her stomach

“Its fine. Maybe when bub arrives we can find a name that matches him or her” Angelo replied as he placed his hand on top of Charlie’s

“Ow” Charlie said, “That wasn’t a normal kick” Charlie said as she looked to Angelo, who shared the same concerned look on his face.

Ruby and Xavier stood in the baby’s room, adding the finishing touches to the room. Angelo, Charlie, Ruby and Leah had all painted the room a couple of weeks previous, it had needed more coats then they had originally thought. Ruby had then asked if she was ok to add the furniture and the last few teddies and such in the room.

“You know, when you said a date, I was actually expecting a date” Xavier said as he handed Ruby a giraffe “Not this”

“Well, leave then” Ruby smiled as she looked to Xavier

“No, I’m good” Xavier replied as he handed Ruby another toy “So. Where are Charlie and Angelo?”

“They went for a walk on the beach. But, I think the best place for Charlie to be at the minute is at home”

“Why do you say that? Aren’t pregnant women supposed to take walks every so often?”

“Well, yea. But not when they’ve been kicked more times then a football. The baby has been kicking a lot more since last week. Rachel has said to keep an eye on Charlie, but you know what Charlie is like” Ruby replied “But on the plus side, I get to feel the kicks, so that’s nice”

“Aww, Wuby getting all sentimental” Xavier teased

“Shut up” Ruby smiled as she threw the giraffe at Xavier.

“Hey” Xavier laughed as he rubbed his arm “Look, you are going to be a great big sister. Or aunty”

“Sister or aunty. There’s a choice” Ruby smiled as she spoke with sarcasm in her voice

“Don’t you know?” Xavier asked “I thought you and Charlie were ok with all that and you were working on been mum and daughter” Xavier said

“We are okay“ Ruby replied with a smile

“So, do you know which one you’re going to be to the baby? What ever it is” Xavier asked “Do you know?”

“No, none of us do. But they have the names chosen for a boy and a girl” Ruby smiled

“And as for what I’m going to be to the baby, I‘ve done a lot of thinking and I‘m going to be its….” Ruby was just about to answer Xavier when her phone rang. “Hang on” Ruby said as she grabbed her phone “Angelo?….Oh my god when?….ok, I’m on my way……ok, bye”

“What was that?” Xavier asked as he saw Ruby rush out of the room

“Charlie. She’s in labour” Ruby shouted as she ran down stairs.

Charlie gasped for air as her head fell back to the bed. The cries of her baby caused the tears to fall freely from her eyes. The midwife handed the baby to Charlie and she brought her new-born son close to her chest, Angelo placed a kiss on his sons head and looked to Charlie with happiness, proudness and love. “Look what we did Angelo” Charlie smiled as she looked to her newborn, the tears flowing from her eyes

“He’s beautiful” Angelo replied as he placed a second kiss on his son’s head and one on Charlie’s lips.

“Have we got a name for the baby?” The midwife asked as she looked to Charlie and Angelo, as they continued to gaze at their son with love

“Louie-James Rosetta” Charlie replied as she looked to Angelo, then to her son. Louie opened his eyes and looked to Charlie and Angelo, as though he was smiling to them.

Ruby walked alongside the bed. Charlie smiled to Ruby as Ruby stared down at Louie. “Can I hold him?” Ruby asked

“Course you can” Charlie smiled as she passed her son to Ruby

A tear rolled down Ruby’s cheek as she placed her finger in Louie’s tiny hand “He’s beautiful Charlie” Ruby smiled as she looked up to Charlie.

“Thanks” Angelo replied with a proud grin on his face

Ruby and Charlie laughed slightly at Angelo’s remark. Louie grabbed Ruby’s finger that was still in his hand. Ruby looked down to the baby and smiled. “Hi Louie-James. I’m Ruby. I’m your…..” Ruby began, she looked up to Angelo, and then to Charlie who was still smiling at the sight of Ruby holding Louie. “I’m your big sister”.

Comments

Archived