I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

:) thanks for the comments! And the GRRRRRRRR's I got from leaving it where I did :D

So, hope this one's ok.....

Chapter 68

Angelo slowly walked up to Charlie. Her mouth was open and she stared at Angelo in shock. Ruby looked back and forth to Charlie and then to Angelo, and Morag and Ross had now made their way to the window in the room to see how things went.

Angelo ran his hands over his head. "I love you Charlie. I can't keep it in any longer, I want to be with you, I want to be there for you, I want to spend the rest of my life making you as happy as you have made me just by been there in my life. I love you Charlie, but if you don't feel the same, or if I've ruined things between us, I can't cope with not having you in my life, please, I love you, I.."

"Angelo stop" Charlie whispered. Angelo bowed his head, preparing himself for the worst.

~~~~~

Rachel walked to the nurses station to make her presence known to the staff who were on duty. Julie looked at her strangely when she saw her walk toward her. "I thought you went home" Julie said to Rachel

"I did. But this thing with Charlie really got to me" Rachel replied

"About the x-ray?" Julie asked

"Yea, you know something?" Rachel asked

"I looked over the x-ray after you'd left. Pauline told me about your concern" Julie replied

"What did you make of it?"

"Charlie had a child when she was a teenager. Hence the reason behind the scar and the crack in her pelvis. I looked in her notes from the city hospital and they say she was fourteen. That would mean her child is.."

"Sixteen" Rachel added "Oh my god" Rachel gasped

"What?" Julie asked

"I'll be back soon" Rachel told Julie as she headed for Charlie's room

~~~~~~

Xavier walked out of his room wearing the eighth shirt he tried on. Nicole and Romeo left the room a few minutes before him, to allow him to finish getting ready.

"Don't you look smart" Gina smiled as she poured herself a drink

"Really?" Xavier asked

"Yea. Where you going?" Gina asked as she placed the juice back in he fridge

"I was going to go see Ruby. And ask her to dinner" Xavier replied shyly

"Xave," Gina smiled "Do you want me to give you a lift?" Gina asked as she pulled away from her son.

"Would you? I kind of need a distraction before I get there" Xavier replied

"Its fine, I can give you to a lift home if you like?" Gina offered as she grabbed her keys.

Nicole nodded and jumped down from her seat "Thanks Mrs. Austin" Romeo smiled

"Shotgun!" Nicole shouted as she left the house.

"What's brought this on?" Gina asked Xavier as soon as Romeo was out of sight

"I guess, everything that happened to Charlie and Angelo. Charlie nearly died, and, it made me realize that, I want Ruby to be more than a friend. I saw how she was when she saw the boat been pushed onto them, and how she was when Charlie was been rescued, and, I wanted to be the one who comforted her. I know its sounds lame, but.."

"It doesn't sound 'lame'. But, because of everything that has happened, Ruby may not want to be in a relationship just yet, so, you've got to bare that in mind" Gina replied

"I know. But, I can't fight this feeling anymore. I've got to do something about it" Xavier smiled

~~~~~~

"I love you too" Charlie replied.

Ruby brought her hands to her mouth in excitement. Morag and Ross beamed with happiness. "Come here" Morag whispered to Ruby as she waved for Ruby to come toward her and Ross.

"What?" Angelo asked.

Ruby walked passed Angelo with a smile on her face to Morag and Ross, who shared her smile.

"I love you too" Charlie repeated.

"Really?" Angelo smiled

Charlie smiled "Yes. I just thought you didn't love me"

"Are you serious? I can't stop thinking about you. And when I thought I was going to loose you..I..I panicked, I never told you how I felt, and then I thought about living without telling you how I feel about you, and to be honest, I hated it"

Charlie continued to smile as a tear trickled down her face.

"What's that for?" Angelo asked as he gently wiped the tear away.

Charlie closed her eyes when she felt Angelo's warm hand upon her cheek. Everything she wanted from Angelo was right there, in the way his hand caressed her face.

~~

Morag, Ruby and Ross tiptoed out of the room. They wanted to stay and watch, but they knew Charlie and Angelo needed time alone together.

"I can't believe it! They finally admitted to it!" Ruby squealed excitedly

"Admitted to what?" Rachel asked as she approached the happy three

"Erm, nothing" Morag said, knowing that Charlie and Angelo were the ones who were to tell people. Especially with Roman to consider.

"What's the problem Rachel?" Ruby asked, still smiling but knowing something was up

"I have to speak to Charlie about if Ruby, I'm sorry" Rachel replied

"She's talking to Angelo about some police things. Can you give them a few minutes?" Morag said as she moved slightly

"It really can't" Rachel replied

~~

Rachel knocked on the door.

"Yes?" Charlie answered

Rachel opened the door. Angelo stood away from Charlie's bed.

"Hi Charlie, sorry to bother you, but, I need to speak to you about the x-ray" Rachel said as she walked over to Charlie

"What about it?" Charlie asked.

Rachel looked to Angelo. "He's ok" Charlie spoke

"I think its best if he were to wait outside" Rachel replied

"Its fine, I'll go" Angelo said as he pointed to the door. He looked to Charlie and winked. Charlie smiled as she looked back to Rachel.

Rachel listened for the door to close before she spoke. Rachel walked closer to Charlie and took the seat that had previously seated Angelo.

"Is this about the baby?" Charlie asked

"Yes" Rachel replied. "I looked over your notes from the city. Your baby was born when you were fourteen?"

Charlie nodded. "I carried the baby to full term, and had the baby by cesarean. It was there that my pelvis cracked" Charlie explained

"Why didn't you say anything before?" Rachel asked

"I didn't think I'd be getting crushed by a boat in my lifetime" Charlie replied

"Charlie" Rachel smiled, feeling slightly amused by what Charlie just said.

Silence fell between the two. Charlie knew what Rachel was wanting to know, but she wasn't ready to start telling other people. She'd only just heard from Ruby that she wanted to be there for her, Charlie didn't really have the time to deal with the comments and thoughts people would give if they knew. Charlie sighed.

"Are we talking as friends or as doctor patient?" Charlie asked

"Friends. I'm not working any more" Rachel replied "Look, if you have a sixteen year old child out there, I can use contacts here at the hospital to help track them down if that's what you want"

"That's not necessary" Charlie replied as she shook her head.

"Oh my god, I haven't just put my foot in it have I? It didn't die did it?" Rachel asked, horrified.

"No, they didn't die" Chalrie rpelied. "Look, sorry to be awful, but, I'm really tired and rehab is early tomorrow. Can we talk later?" Charlie yawned

"Yea, of course. And, I'm sorry Charlie if I've upset you" Rachel said to Charlie as she took her hand

"I'm not upset, I'm just tired" Charlie smiled

~~~~~

Gina pulled up in front of the hospital and switched the engine off. Xavier exhaled loudly as he looked to the doors opening and shutting.

"You sure you want to do this now?" Gina asked

Xavier looked to his watch. 10:55 "I'm not sure"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Slaps wrisrts for not updating earlier* (But I lost internet connection and only had like, five minutes to be on!!!)

Anyway... Thank you so much for commenting and for reading, I love reading them! :)

Chapter 69

Xaiver leaned his head against the cold window of the car, staring at the bright lights from the cars as they drove passed. He breathed over the window. A patch condensation was left on the window. Xavier put his right index finger on the window and began to draw a sad face. A droplet of condensation trickled down the cheek of his drawing, just like the tear from his own eye. Sniffing, Xavier looked to Gina who was looking ahead at the traffic as she drove them both home. Looking ahead to the red lights from the car in front, Xavier looked even sadder than he did when he looked to the bright white lights from the front of the car. Xavier sadly sighed as he continued to look out of the front window of the car, looking for his home where he could get ready for bed and forget about tonight, and get ready for tomorrow.

Xavier took a deep breath as he prepared himself to walk from the car to the hospital. His hands shook with nerves as he wondered if Ruby would feel the same about him or if she would turn him down.

The doors opened to the hospital and the sudden warm blast from over head caused Xavier's hair to become messed up. Xavier quickly placed his hands on his head to redo his messed up hair. When he was happy with the way his hair was, Xavier made his way to the woman who was at the desk. The woman looked down to Xavier as she placed her magazine on the desk.

"Can I help you?" She asked

"I was wondering if Chalrie Buckton was still in the same room" Xavier replied

"Yes, she is. BUt you can't go see her"

"Why?" Xavier asked as he took the step back toward the desk

"Because it is eleven at night, visiting hours finished an hour ago and only her family can be with her. Thats why"

"But.."

"No buts, I don't have time for this, look, I'm sure you should be at home getting ready for school tomorrow. Not here trying to see people who are much older that you. Can you leave please" The woman told Xavier.

Xavier pulled his head back. The way the woman spoke to his was a bit rude, but, if he wasn't able to visit, he wasn't going to hang around waiting to be told by her again.

Once again the warm blast of air messed Xavier's hair, but Xavier didn't really care. He was upset that he couldn't see Ruby when he wanted to, and that he would have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see her.

Reaching the car, Xavier opened the door and sat himself down. He closed the door and buckled himself in. He then placed his head against the window as Gina started the car up and began to drive away

Rachel looked back over her shoulder at Charlie. She just stood there and watched Chalrie as she slept. The conversation she had just had left Rachel with so many questions. Who was her child? Why didn't she need help finding her child? Rachel knew Charlie would tell her in her own time, but Rachel couldn't fight the burning disire to find out what the answers would be.

When she felt her presence in the room was bordering creepy, Rachel headed for the door.

Ruby, Angelo, Ross and Morag all looked up to the door. Rachel smiled as she stepped out of the room.

"Charlie's asleep, so it maight be a good idea if you all went home. I know you could all do with the rest" Rachel said as she looked to the small group. Ross had a bit of a beard happening, Ruby's hair was a mess, Angelo could barely keep his eyes open if he stared forward, and Morag, well, she looked alright.

"I think we might just do that" Morag said as she tapped Ross on his shoulder "We can come back tomorrow, in time for Charlie's rehab"

"That sounds like a good idea" Rachel smiled

"Are you coming darling?" Morag asked as she linked arms with Ross

"Erm, yes, I suppose" Ross replied, as he smiled to Ruby.

"What about you two?" Rachel asked as she looked to Ruby and Angelo.

"I just need a minute first" Ruby replied.

"Oh, ok" Rachel smiled "See you later"

Morag, Ross and Rachel walked away from the outside of Charlie's room. Both Ruby and Angelo headed back into Chalrie's room, hoping that she had woken up and was ready to talk to them once again. But when they reached her bed, they saw that Charlie had fallen into a deep sleep and they didn't want to disturb her.

"Come on, I'll give you a lift home" Angelo said as her placed his hand on Ruby's shoulder.

"Ok. Thanks" Ruby replied as she placed her hand on top of Charlie's. "We'll be back tomorrow" She whispered.

Tony walked out of the bedroom and headed for the kitchen. Harry had woken up due to one of his back teeth coming through. Tony gave him some teething crystals and Harry settled back to sleep. Tiny put the kettle on and then made his way into the front room and sat on the couch. Rachel unlocked the door and made her way in just as Tony got himself comfy on the soft cushions.

"Hey" Tony smiled

"Hey. What you still doing up?" Rachel asked as she kissed Tony's head

"Harry's just gone back off, so I thought I'd have a brew while I wait until you got back"

"Aww, aren't you sweet" Rachel smiled

"So, did you speak to Charlie?" Tony asked

"Yea I did. And she knew whatI was meaning when I asked her about the baby. I thought she would have acted diffrerently" Rachel replied

Tony's eyes widened. Whoa, Rach. What did you just say?"

Rachel looked to Tony. She realised what she had said, but she was unable to lie to Tony. "Erm, I.."

"Rach, don't. I know you can't tell me. So don't" Tony smiled

Rachel looked to Tony and smiled. "So, where's my cup of tea then?"

"In the kettle. I'll have one while your up" Tony smiled

Rachel laughed softly before walking into the kitchen to re-boile the kettle. She placed her hands on the kitchen unit and stared at the counter top. She couldn't believe that she had nearly told Tony about Chalrie and the child that she had.

Leah closed the door to VJ's bedroom and made her way into the kitchen to get herself a drink. Opening the fridge she saw the picture of VJ, Ruby and Charlie when they decorated VJ's room. She took the picture from underneath the magnet that was holding to the fridge and gently placed her finger on Charlie's face. Over the last three years, Chalrie and her had become really close, they weren't just friends and flatmates, Charlie was more like a sister to Leah than anything, and Leah didn't want to loose that closeness with Charlie if she was with Roman.

Leah put the picture back on the fridge and finsished getting her drink. She then made her way to her bedroom when her mobile light up. Roman's name appeared in the screen. Leah smiled and picked the phone up.

Meet me on the beach at six in the morning

Leah pressed reply and sent back a message reading VJ is back at school tomorrow. I can't get anyone to come and take him. Sorry

When the message went, Leah continued to make her way to her room. She climbed into bed and pulled the covers over herself. When her head hit the pillow, she instantly fell asleep.

The Following Day

Xavier walked slowly to his locker. Still upset with the lack of talking with Ruby he did last night. He yawned as he took things out of his locker and put them in his bag.

"Take it you and Ruby spent ages talking" Nicole said as she stood next to Xavier.

"No. I didn't see her. I wasn't allowed" Xaiver replied

"What? Who told you you couldn't see Ruby?" Nicole asked

"The woman at the desk"

"She had no right" Nicole replied

"Yea, she did besides, visiting hours were over an hour before I got there so"

"Why don't you just go after school? I'm sure you could see Ruby then"

"I don't think I will" Xavier replied

"Why not?" Nicole asked, slightly miffed by the fact Xavier had just said what he said

"I've been thinking, the last two times I have seen Ruby, she's run off or something has happened to keep us from talking. Maybe I should just leave it and stay friends"

"Ok, firstly, you and Ruby as friends doesn't work. There's too much flirting going on and you obviously have the hots for each other. Secondly, you may have to tell her how you feel fisrt so that Ruby will realise that she isn't the only ones fighting her feelings" Nicole siad as she had placed her hands on Xavier shoulders to keep him facing her.

"How many girls do you know have said they like the guy after he's spilt his guts first?"

"Well, Roman" Nicole replied as she pulled her hands back

"Roman?" Xavier repeated.

"Yea, he admitted his feelings first, and then he ended up in a relationship with her"

"With Chalrie" Xavier said

Nicole bit her lip. She was meaning Leah, but Chalrie had said she like Roman after Roman told her first, so she played along "Yea, Charlie"

"How long after Roman did Charlie say?" Xavier asked

"Does that matter? My point is is that if Roman didn't tell Charlie that he liked her, Chalrie would have never said it. But look how it turned out, they were together for three years, I had no more crazy in my life and I actually go on well with Charlie" Nicole dodged the question

"Nicole, how long after Roman did Charlie admit her feelings?" Xavier asked again

"Two weeks"

Jenny sat on her chair in the corner of the room. Writing up what she saw Charlie doing during her rehab. All the notes she had made of Chalrie's progress in her previous rehab sessions was attatched to the clipboard Jenny was using as she wrote. Jenny would look back over the notes during the course of the rehab to see where Charlie was improving and where she still needed to improve. Jenny only ever glanced at the sheet in front of her for a split second, the rest of the time her eyes were on Charlie. Watching as she lifted her leg above the ground and seeing what she did next. All the time she smiled as she watched Charlie use the crutches. And every time she felt Angelo's eyes looking back and forth to her and to Charlie.

Charlie stood using the crutches as her support, looking at the usual spot on the wall. She had thought about marking it with something, just to brighten it up a little, but then she thought that she didn't want to be constantly staring at that wall for the rest of her life. Charlie glance to her left and saw Ross and Morag standing and watching with smiles on their faces. She then glanced to her right and saw Angelo and Ruby stood with equally huge smiles on their faces.

"Right. All I want you to do is three paces in front of you. You should finish off on that red line marked on the ground" Tish said as she pointed to the red line painted on the floor. "Take your time, there's no rush" Tish added

Charlie stood for what seem like an hour. This was the first time she was to use the crutches without having the brace on her leg. She felt like she could cry, she was so happy that she didn't have to stare at the brace on her leg anymore, that she could wear the shorts she was wearing and not feel ashamed or self-concious abouth her leg.

Charlie lifted her right leg up with ease. She'd forgotten how light her leg actually was, she'd been so used to lifting her leg using a lot of energy, but now, she had surplus energy which she could use to move more around the room, even further than the red line where she was supposed to stop. Charlie then pushed down on the crutches and used then as she swung her left leg in front of her. She smiled when she realised what she had done. She'd taken her first step without the brace on her leg.

"Well done Charlie!" Tish smiled "do you think you could do that again?" Tosh added

Chalrie, once again lifted her leg and pushed down on the crutches. She felt herself move foward as she swung and the line on the floor was one pace away.

Tish and Jenny entered their little room down the corridor from where Charlie would be in right now. They looked over the notes they had made on Charlie over the course of the seven weeks she had been doing the rehab and they also looked at the statistcis gathered from the endless machines Charlie was attatched to when she first was admitted to hospital and the few weeks afterward. Charts showing lines on were passed between the two as they wrote down their report on this rehab session. This put her signature on it and dated it, Jenny also signed and dated it adn the two rose to their feet and headed for the door.

"I am so proud of you darling" Ross smiled as he hugged Charlie

"Thanks dad" Chalrie replied as she rested her head on Ross' chest.

"I have no idea how you slept in this bed and were comfy. Its lumpy" Ruby said as she lay on the bed.

Charlie laughed and made her way to the chair using the crutches that she had grown attached to. Angelo followed close behind, ready to catch her if she fell. "I never noticed the comfort of the bed to be honest" Charlie said once she was seated

"I can't believe how far you've come since the accident" Morag said as she sat down on the bed next to Ruby, who had now sat up. "I mean, you just layed there, looking like you were on your death bed and we were paying our respects" Morag continued

"Thanks Morag" Charlie sarcastically replied

"You know what I mean. I just, never thought that two months after an accident like that, that you'd be walking about, laughing, smiling and full of life. Its wonderful" Morag said with a tear in her eye

"I thought you were dead when they got you out" Ruby said "If Irene and Leah weren't there, I don't know what I would have done"

"Yea, I've got a lot of people to thank for that day" Charlie smiled

"And three people to arrest" Morag added as she glanced at Angelo.

"Actually, about that, Georgina..."

Angelo was cut off by the knock on the door. Ross walked over and opened it. Tish, Jenny and a docotr were stood on the other side.

*PREVIEW*

Three good things happen, but could one thing ruin her happiness????

Thanks for the lovely comments :wub:

Chapter 70

The bell at school rang for the next lesson to begin. Xavier slowly gathered his things together and Romeo hovered around, waiting to ask him how last night with Ruby went. Nicole waited outside his classroom so they all could walk to their next class together.

"So? How did last night go?" Romoe asked as he walked bhind Xavier

"I never saw her. I wasn't allowed" Xavier replied

"Seriously? You didn't speak to her?" Romeo asked

"By the time I got to the hospital, visiting hours were over"

By now, Romeo and Xavier had joined Nicole in the corridor "You still on about Ruby?" Nicole asked

"Yes" Romeo replied

"Look, I've told you what to do. Go after school and see her"

"Or go at lunch. That way you wont be miserable this afternoon" Romoe added

Xavier glared at Romeo, but he was right. "Yea, I'll go at lunch" Xavier smiled

"And we'll come to" Nicole smiled

"Ever the gossip" Romeo laughed

Leah walked along the beach, kicking the sand with her feet as she did so. She thought about how much she wanted to be with Roman, and how happy he made her, and how much VJ idolised him. It was simple for VJ: Leah and Roman were meant to be together, no matter what. But Leah knew better than VJ unfortunately. She knew that there was Charlie's feelings to consider. Leah couldn't wait any longer to speak with Charlie, but she knew Charlie would need all her strength to walk. And if Leah told Charlie about her relationship with Roman, it would set her back. Make her loose focus on what was important. Leah looked out to the horizon, something she had always done when she wanted answers, she knew the sea couldn't talk to her, but the calmness of the water breaking at her feet allowed her to clear some space in her mind so she could think clearly and find the answer she was looking for. Leah remembered when she found Charlie sitting on the beach looking out at the dark sky with the full moon shining down on the still water. It was after Charlie had found out about Roman's little affair. Leah remembered how much Charlie relied on Leah's words of comfort and how much it meant to Charlie that she was there for her. A tear trickled down Leah's face when she thought back to the reaction Charlie had when Roman cheated on her.

Was Leah doing the same thing only different?

Roman saw Leah sit herself down on the sand. He began to make his way over to her to find out what she was thinking and if he could help. He walked slowly up to her, so he wasn't to frighten her.

"Leah?" Roman softly spoke

Leah tunred her head to face Roman "Hey" Leah smiled

"You ok?" Roman asked as he lowered himself to the sand

"I was just thinking"

"About what?" Roman asked

"Charlie. Maybe we should tell her sooner, rather than later. VJ doesn't understand why nobody knows about us. And I hate lying to him, its not fair on him"

"Or us" Roman added.

"Exactly. So, I was thinking, we shoudl go to the hospital now, together and speak to her. I know its the last thing she needs right now, but if we tell her sooner, I'm sure in the long run everything will be ok"

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Roman asked

"Yea. Charlie's friendship means the world to me, she helped me so much after the diner take over bid, and loosing VJ in the stormdrain, she's been like a sister to me, so keeping something like this from her is rediculous. I can't do it anymore, I can't lie" Leah cried

"Ok, we'll go now. Come on" Roman said as he rose to his feet nad helped Leah to hers.

Tish and Jenny walked into Charlie's room. Both with smiles on their faces as they saw Chalrie sitting in the chair, rather than laying in the bed.

"Is there something wrong?" Ross asked as he walked back to Charlie's side.

"No" Tish smiled "Quite the opposite"

Charlie, Ruby, Angelo, Ross and Morag looked confused.

"As you know, Jenny and I have been monitoring your progress in all your rehab sessions and we have included the results from the different machines you've been attacthed to"

"And?" Chalrie asked

"The improvement in your walking has been huge. From the first week when it took all your strength just to lift you leg a couple of inches off the ground to now, where you can move easily across the room, its amazing. And especially considering how you were when you were first assessed during the operation"

"What does all this mean?" Ross asked

"It means with a signature or two from Charlie, you can go home" Tish smiled

Ruby rolled off the bed and ran to Charlie's side. Hugging her with excitement as began to celebrate Charlie's homecoming.

"Charlie! That's great" She screeched

"Thank you. Thank you so much" Ross happily said as he shook Tish's hand with eagerness

"Just doing my job. But its what Charlie deserves, a bit of happiness in her life" Tish smiled.

Jenny was approached by Ross, she too had her hand shook by Ross.

"Thank you" Ross smiled to Jenny

"Its a pleasure"

"We'll leave you to it" Tish said as she made her way to the door.

"Thank you again" Ross said to Tish and Jenny as they left the room.

Chalrie remained in the chair. Unable to move. She couldn't believe that she was allowed home, all the pain and crying and sleepless nights she had had were gone. She could finish her recovery off at home, surrounded by friends and the people she loved most.

"Charlie? Are you happy?" Angelo asked as he knealt down in front of her

Chalrie nodded. "Yea"

"Don't sound too thrilled" Ruby replied as she sat on the chair arm

"No, I am, its just, I can't believe its nearly all over. All of this, the accident, the recovery, all of it" Charlie smiled with tears in her eyes

"Actually, about that" Angelo began to say as he rose to stand "I got a call from Georgie; Hank and Freddie caught the guys who did this to you. They're in custody now waiting for their trail hearing" Angelo smiled

"That's what you were going to say before Tish and Jenny came in, wasn't it" Ruby smiled

"Yea. But their news was better"

"All of this is good news. We can all go home and start rebuilding our lives again" Morag said as she moved closer to the elated group.

"I'll start packing for you" Ruby smiled as she jumped off the chair arm

"Some one's happy" Angelo said as he took Ruby's spot on the chair arm.

"I can't believe she's like this after everything. I'm must have someone looking out for me up there" Charlie pointed to the ceiling.

"I don't think so, I think Ruby just understands why you did what you did. She's a good kid Charlie, got a good head on her shoulders. Just like you" Angleo replied as he kissed Chalrie's forehead.

Two hours later

Tish brought the wheelchair into Charlie's room for the last time. Attached to it were three balloons which Ruby had ran down to the gift shop to buy.

"Well, the chair will miss you" Tish smiled

"Can't say I'll miss the chair though" Charlie smiled.

"Right. If you have any problems at home with the crutches or with walking, call this number on the bottom, and either myself or Jenny will come around to your house and see if we can help with the problem you're having" Tish said as she handed Charlie the card. "You have a place to go to?"

"Erm, yea. But, I think Angelo and Ruby want to take me somewhere first" Chalrie smiled

"They're really happy for you Charlie. They've been here every step of the way, encouraging you to continue to get better. And its worked. Your boyfriend and sister really are a great support system" Tish smiled

"They are, aren't they" Charlie agreed.

"You ready Charles?" Ruby smiled as she beamed with happiness

"To leave this room? Yes" Charlie smiled

Charlie rose to her feet, using the crutches to help her stand. Ruby pushed the chair toward Charlie and helped her sit down in the chair.

Just as Ruby was about to push Charlie out of the room, the doctor who removed the brace entered the room, blocking the door.

"Charlie." The doctor smiled. "Ready for home I see"

"Yea" Charlie smiled back

"Ok, I have some news to add"

"Not bad?" Ruby asked

"No, good actually. Maybe even great" The doctor replied

"What now?" Ross asked as he entered the room followed by Angelo and Morag.

"Can you come back in three weeks for your last operation" The doctor asked

"Last operation?" Chalrie asked

"Yes. By then I believe we can remove the bar that is still in your leg. Of course, I'll know better then and after the x-ray we will do"

"The bar is coming out?" Angelo asked

"In three weeks if everything looks good" The doctor smiled.

Ruby wheeled Charlie along the corridor with a big smile on her face. Angelo followed behind carrying the crutches, but tempted to use them. Charlie looked to the outside world. She'd forgotten what trees looked like. As the doors opened and the cool breeze found its way through Charlie's long dark hair, Charlie took a deep breath in of the fresh air she had missed so much.

"Feels good to be out?" Angelo asked

"Feels great" Chalrie smiled.

Morag pulled the car up front the hospital. Ross got out of the car and opened the back door to allow Charlie in. Angelo helped Charlie to her feet and closer to the car. Charlie stopped and stared across the road.

"Charlie? What's the matter?" Ruby asked as she saw Charlie freeze on the spot.

Across the road Chalrie saw A woman with her arms around a mans neck. The man had his hands around the waist of the woman. Both were leaned into each other, looking deep into each others eyes. The long dark hair of the woman blew from her face, revealing who the man and woman were.

Roman and Leah

Thank you for commenting/reading :)

This is just a little one to keep going, I will post a longer one tomorrow, I just don't have much time at the mo, which is a pain grr. But I hope you enjoy x

Chapter 71

"Charlie?" Ruby repeated.

"Yea?" Charlie replied, shaking her head.

"You ok? You just spaced out for a while" Ruby asked, placing her hand on Charlie's.

"I'm fine. I'm just, I can't believe I can go home. I don't think its sunk in yet" Charlie said as she smiled

"Well, as soon as you're in the car, there's no going back. You'll be home and we can be a family again" Ruby smiled

Charlie smiled back to Ruby as a tear rolled down her cheek "Don't start crying on me now, you'll have me crying" Ruby said as she wiped the tear from Charlie's cheek

Charlie looked to Ruby and smiled. Never saying anything as the smile told Ruby what Charlie was thinking.

Ross took the crutches off Angelo and put them in the boot of the car. Angelo helped Charlie to the car and helped her get in. Ruby got into the car throught the other side and helped Charlie from her side. Once Charlie was in and sitting comfortably, Ruby sat herself down in the middle seat and put her seatbelt on. Angelo closed the door and took a step backward from the car.

"You not coming?" Ross asked as he walked around to the front passenger door

"I'm gonna get the bus" Angelo said as he pointed to the bus stand.

"Don't be stupid, get in the car. We have some celebrating to do" Ross smiled

"I can meet you at your house. I just have to go tpo the station first, I want to see those guys in the cell before I celebrate" Angelo replied

"If your friend told you they're in custody, I'm sure she's telling the truth. I doubt she'll want them roaming th streets after what happened to you and Charlie" Ross said

"Its not that" Angelo replied sadly

"Then what is it my boy?" Ross asked

Angelo sighed and dropped his arms down his sides. "I wanted to arrest them. For Charlie. I felt like I had too. First they knock her out and leave her for dead, then they try and finish the job off. I wanted to arrest them Ross. I had too" Angelo replied

"You were where you were needed. Charlie needed you and so did Ruby. Come to think of it, so did Morag and myself, but that's beside the point. Look, my point is, arresting them men was a job for your colleagues, been there for my daughter and grand-daughter was a job you needed to do. And may I say, you did it very well" Ross told Angelo as he placed his hand on Angelo's shoulder. "Now, get into the car and come to our house. We still need your help"

Leah pulled away from Roman. A cold wind passed her that made her feel like she should stop and look around.

"What's wrong?" Roman asked as he watched Leah look around

"I just got this feeling that we shouldn't carry on" Leah replied, still looking around

"A feeling?" Roman asked

"I can't explain it. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have kissed you. We have to speak to Charlie. I can't do anything more with you until I've spoken to Charlie" Leah said as she stepped backward from Roman, waving her hands

"Ok, sure. That's fine" Roman replied with a laugh

"You ok with that?" Leah asked.

"You're beating yourself up over this. And I get why. And I love how you're thinking about someone elses feelings" Roman smiled

Leah smiled back to Roman. Just as she was about to speak, her phone went off.

I know it's yours and Roman's day off, but, can you come into work? Colleen has broken the water tap off and there's water everywhere. Irene xx

"Change of plan" Leah said

"What? whay? What's the matter?" Roman asked

"Colleen has broken the water tap. The kitchen's flooded" Leah answered.

Throwing all of his books into his locker, followed by his bag, Xavier quickly grabbed his wallet from the front zip before closing his locker.

Nicole and Romeo came up behind him. "Hey good luck" Romeo said as he passed the football between his hands

"Thanks" Xavier weakly smiled

"Mr. Austin" A teacher called out

"Yes sir?" Xavier replied

"Don't forget your catch-up math lesson. You two either" Mr. Jennings said as he pointed to Romeo and Nicole

"Is that today?" Xavier asked

"Yes. It was agreed the day you three left early" Mr. Jennings replied

"Can I do it tomorrow? And I'll stay after school?"

"That won't be needed. I do have a life beyond the school campus, despite what people think. Right now is good"

"But sir.."

"No buts!. Mrs. Austin shouldn't be so quick to allow students free get out of school card early. Martin Bartlett wouldn't have allowed this"

Mr. Jennings led the way to the classroom Nicole, Romeo and Xavier were to spend the next hour. Nicole dragged her feet, Xaiver sulked the whole way and Romeo threw the ball down the corridor.

"Perfect" Romoe mumbled

"Oh! What are we going to do!" Colleen cried as she handed Irene three more towels

"Quit your moaning for a start Colleen!" Irene said as she placed the towels over the leak

Vegetables were half cut on the worktops, pots were half washed and half mucky, water was spraying the walls adn running out of the delivery room doors.

Leah and Roman tred through the water on the floor.

"So, what happened?" Leah asked as she grabbed some more towels for Irene

"Ask Mrs. Fix it over there" Irene pointed to Colleen

"Have we still got that pump kicking about?" Roman asked as he began to pick up some things from the floor

"Out in one of the sheds I think" Irene replied

"And what about the water main? Where's that?" Roman asked

"Up there" As Irene pointed up, water sprayed over Leah and Colleen. "Sorry" Irene smiled

"Colleen, can you get me the ladder?" Roman asked as he looked at the cover for the ebterance to the above storage space

"Whatever for?" Colleen asked

"So I can turn the water off at the main" Roman replied

"Oh. Righty-o" Colleen replied as she spun around to go and get the ladder

"She's been doing my flippin' head in since this happened. I'm sorry I called, but, I dind't know who else to ring" Irene said

"Its fine" Leah replied as she handed Irene another towel

"You weren't doing anything were you?" Irene asked

"No" Roman and Leah replied at the same time.

Irene looked to Roman and Leah. She saw the look the two shared. She's seen that look somewhere before...

The drive home was a quite one.

Ross sat in the front, constanlty watching Charlie in the wing mirror, smiling at the fact that Charlie was coming home and was going to be ok.

Ruby sat in the middle. Her arms were crossed on her lap and she had hold of Charlie's hand, stroking it soflty with her thumb as she smiled.

Charlie looked out of the window. Her head leaning against the glass as she thought about what she had been told and what she had seen.

Angelo sat next to Ruby. Not saying anything, just looking over to Charlie. Glad that she was out of hospital and that he would be there for her like he had promised.

Thank you for the lovely comments. They keep me going :) xx

Charis: thanks for the long comment on each chapter and what you liked. I loved reading that :)

Hope this ones ok xx

Chapter 72

Tapping his pencil end on the desk between his fingers, Xavier clock-watched until the hand reached twelve. Hoping Mr. Jennings would let him, Nicole and Romeo out of the study class early. Time went so slowly. He never realised time could go so slowly. Bordem had set in. And was taking over fast. He glanced to the open window, the wind blew the blind gently away from the window. He could hear the voices of other students who were outside enjoying the sunshine and their lunchtime. Sighing, Xavier looked over to Nicole, who was sitting slumped in her chair, chewing on the gum she had stashed in her bag and wrapping her hair around her finger. She swung her left leg as it dangled off her right leg, she looked as bored as Xavier did. Nicole glanced to Xavier, they shared the same look. The look of desperation to leave the room, the look of bordem. Romeo coughed, breaking the silence that was in the room. Nicole threw an eraser at him to get his attention. Looking behind him to Nicole and Xavier, he mimed a lasoo around his neck and pulled it, tilting his head as if he'd broken his neck and sticking his tongue out. Nicole let out a small laugh, she quickly grabbed the book that sat in front of her and hid behind it as Mr. Jennings looked up from his worksheets. He glared at Romeo and Xavier. Xavier and Romeo looked at Mr. Jennings, trying not to laugh so they weren't to get into more trouble.

"Is something amusing about this study catch up? I have found nothing to be amusing. Those books and notes are not funny. I suggest you wipe those rediculous smiles of your faces and get back to the task at hand" Mr. Jennings had only just finished speaking when there was a knock at the door.

Gina entered the room after her third knock. When she saw Xavier, Romeo and Nicole sitting there, looking bored, she turned to Mr. Jennings. "Is there any reason why these three students are inside?"

"They have a few lessons in which they need to be brought up to speed. Something which was mentioned to you when that man from the board of education came to have a meeting with you" Mr. Jennings replied

"That meeting was uncalled for. After I explained the situation to him, he understood completely. And as it was an action that was out of my and the schools hands, they have allowed for some consideration on Nicole's, Romeo's Xavier's and Ruby's overall mark at the end of the year" Gina argued

"I just thought..."

"I told all staff that these study classess were to be forgotten about. Extra studying for them should now be done outside of school. When they're supposed to do their studying" Gina butted in. She then turned to Xavier, Romeo and Nicole "There's five minutes left of lunch, go to the canteen, grab something then get to you're next class"

Xavier, Romeo and Nicole practically ran out of the room as soon as Gina moved away from the door.

"Gina.."

"Look, I know you were the one who spoke to the board about how I was allowing those four with so much time away from school. But that was my call to make. Not yours" Gina scoffed as she moved closer to Mr. Jennings

"I know. I just thought that, with the amount of time they were having off, they would fall behind and they're overall grade would be affected"

"I took all of that into consideration. And Ruby is the one who will struggle. But I'll talk to her dad and sister as soon as Charlie is out of hospital and offer the support of the whole teaching staff"

Standing on the top step of the ladder with Leah holding the bottom of the ladder, Roman reached up into the storage space and pulled himself in. He looked around the mass of space to see if he could spot where the water main tap was.

"Can you grab me a torch?" Roman asked as he put his head back through the hatch.

Colleen waded throught the water to the drawer and found a torch. Irene smirked as she watched Colleen make her way back throught the rising water.

"Here you are" Colleen said as she stretched up as high as she could reach.

"I can't reach that Colleen" Roman said as he put his arm down to try and grab the torch.

"Well what am I supposed to do? I can't climb up there in my delicate state. I'm older than you you know, I can't just climb up there and be ok. My head will spin and then I'll have to have the rest of the day off just to recover"

"Oh for gawd sake!" Irene said. "Here" Irene gestured for Colleen to move closer to her. Tkaing the torch from Colleen, Irene made sure Colleen kept the towels firmly on the tap where the water was spilling out from.

Irene climbed up two of the steps and reached to Roman's hand and passed him the torch. Roman took the torch and turned it on. Looking around the room he walked carefully along the beams, not wanting to fall through the ceiling.

"Found anything?" Leah shouted

"Nope" Roman shouted back.

Irene made her way back to Colleen, who had let the towle slip and now more water was gushing out.

"Wait a minute" Roman shouted.

Irene moved the towels away from the water tap. It was then that she could see the damage Colleen had done. There was a crack in the metal part of the tap which revealed the line where the water was fed through.

"How much will that cost?" Colleeen asked as she looked to Irene, almost crying

"A couple of hundred I reckon. Plus whatever it costs to get rid of this swimming pool" Irene replied as she showed the mass of water on the floor.

"I'm really sorry Irene" Colleen siad, her voice cracking with the tears she was holding back

"I know you are. Its just a pain that its happened" Irene said as she placed her hand on Colleen's shoulder.

Leah looked up the ladder and watched as Roman placed his foot on the top of the ladder. Leah held oin tightly to the botom of the ladder as Roman placed his other foot on the top of the ladder and proceeded to climb down.

"Thank's love" Irene smiled as Roman splashed in the water.

"No problem" Roman replied as he handed the torch to Colleen.

"Now, that pump" Roman said as he walked out of the kitchen.

Leah smiled and watched him walk away.

"Something wrong missy?" Irene asked as she looked to Leah and the huge smile that was plastered on her face.

"No. Shall we clean?" Leah replied as she folded the ladder up.

Irene watched, biting her lip as Leah put the ladder back and began to move things from the floor of the kitchen.

Angelo, Ross and Morag made there way to the police station. They'd left Ruby and Charlie at home as it was there first day back in normality and they felt it'd be best for them to readjust to the differece in their surroundings.

"Georgie" Angelo said as he looked to Georgina, who was looking over a few notes.

"Angelo? Morag? Ross? What...?"

"We came to see when the trail date for theose men is" Morag said sternly

"You heard about that" Georgina replied

"Yes. And we want to know when they're going to be sent down" Morag added

"Well, we do need Charlie to identify them first"

"Why? Angelo's word should be enough" Ross said

"I thought so too, but Charlie was the one who was in clear visual of the men who did this. Both times, so if Charlie says these men are the men who did the two attacks, then we can begin the leag proceeds. But I can't do anything until Charlie is discharged from hospital. My hands are tied until then" Georgina replied

"Charlie was discharged earlier today. When do you want her in?" Ross asked

Georgina smiled. "Ross, wait. Charlie has only just got out of hospital after weeks of rehab and emotional drain, do you really think asking her to come here so soon after to ID the guys is going to help her?" Angelo siad before Georgina had a chance to speak

"I'm with Angelo on this. Seeing the men who put her in the hospital may set her back quite far" Morag said

"But it could help. KNowing they have a date in which they're going to be sentenced. Surely that would help her" Ross argued

"Ok. Firstly, I'm so glad Charlie is out of hospital, that's great news. Secondly, the sooner she ID's them the better, but I don't want her going into emotional shock or whatever its called" Georgina replied

"Maybe we should go home and speak to Charlie first" Angelo suggested

Ross sadly nodded. He knew Charlie could be worse off if she had to come face to face with the men who tried to kill her, but he wanted so badly for Charlie to feel safe when she left the house. "You're right" Ross smiled to Angelo. "We need to speak to Charlie first"

"Thanks Georgie" Angelo smiled

"Its fine. Give Charlie my love yea?" Georgina replied

"Yea, sure. See ya"

The picture of VJ, Leah, Ruby and Charlie remained unmoved on the mantel top. All the smiling faces looked back at her. No worries, no hassle, no commitments, no problems. That's what the smiles of Leah and Charlie showed. Just happiness. And Charlie saw that same smile on Leah's face as she looked deep into Roman's eyes not one hour ago. A tear rolled down Charlie's face. She quickly raised her hand to her face to rid herself of the unwanted tear.

"Ok, I didn't know if you wanted something hot or cold, so I did you a BLT, a mix of both, I hope that's ok" Ruby said as she walked into the front room holding two plates. "Here" Ruby said as she sat herself down next to Charlie. "Hey? What's the matter?" Ruby asked as she saw another tear fall from Charlie's face "You're not in pain are you?" Ruby asked as she gently stroked Charlie's back. Charlie shook her head and wiped the tear away. "There's something wrong. Tell me" Ruby said as she used her other hand to tuck Charlie's hair behind her ear.

"I'm not in pain and I'm not sad" Charlie half smiled

"Well, what is it then? I know you're happy to be home, but, I never thought you'd cry about it" Ruby said as she began to eat her sandwich

"When we left the hospital, I saw Roman and Leah" Charlie began

"Roman? I thought he said he wouldn't bother you again until you came out of hospital" Ruby replied as she wiped her mouth from the juices that came from her bread

"I never said he couldn't come and see me, he suggested that it would be better if he stayed away because of his feelings toward Angelo" Charlie reminded Ruby

"So what were they doing?" Ruby asked as she took another bite of her sandwich

"Kissing" Charlie replied

Ruby choked "What?. As in a little kiss you give an aunty?"

"No as in honeymoon pash" Charlie replied

"That's why you froze" Ruby realised "So, how do you feel?"

"I'm happy for them" Charlie replied

"Really?" Ruby asked, raising an eyebrow

"Really. I know that it could be weird, my ex and my best friend, but, if they make each other happy and they love each other, why does it matter what I think?"

"Because of that. Leah might think its really low of her, she thinks of you as a sister"

Awkward silence fell between the two upon the word sister

"Look, Leah can go out with him is she wants. They're good for each other. Better than what I was for Roman" Charlie siad as she cautiously spoke

"Are you going to talk to her?" Ruby asked

Charlie nodded "When she gets home"

"Speaking of that, am I still ok to stay here?" Ruby asked

"Yea course. Why would you ask that?" Charlie asked

"I just thought, after the way I went off at you and dad, that, you wouldn't want me around"

"Rubes, I love you, of course I want you around. You, Angelo, dad and Morag have been so great over the last couple of months, I couldn't have done any of this without you. Especially you. I want you around Rubes, I need you"

"I love you too" Ruby smiled.

Thank you so much for the comments. I love reading them and am so glad you find the time to comment after you have read. :wub:

Chapter 73

After the pump had sucked up the last of the remaining water from the kitchen floor in the diner, Roman switched it off and placed the pump closer to the wall to allow more room in the kitchen so that he, Leah, Irene and Colleen could evalutate the damage the water had caused.

Standing in the middle of the slippy floor, Roman stood with his arms folded over his chest, Colleen stood with her hands over her mouth, in disbelief as to what she had done. Leah and Irene stood with their hands on their hips; they're lips pursed together as they processed their surroundings.

"We'll have to redo the damp core. The water damage to the wall will be right through by now" Roman siad, breaking the silence that had taken hold of the kitchen

"It's all my fault. I'm a criminal!" Colleen cried

"No your not Colleen. Anyone of us could have broken the tap. It juust happened to be you" Irene said after she laughed a little

"What are we going to do? We've just redone the whole diner" Colleen replied

"We close fopr a couple of days, and get a plumber and a decorator and who ever else we need to get this place on its feet again" Irene replied

"I'll call the plumber" Leah said as she headed for the phone

"I'll get on the phone to the builder who did this place the last time" Roman quickly said as he followed Leah into the eating part of the diner

Irene scowled at them as she tried to place where she had seen those smiles the last.

"What should I do?" Colleen asked as she turned to Irene

"Keep away from taps" Irene joked. Colleen looked worried "I'm kidding. Go and get the mop and start working on this floor." Irene smiled

Colleen made her way to the backroom to grab the mop and its bucket. She wheeled them into the kitchen and began to mop up the little puddles that were left form where the pump couldn't pick up. Colleen sighed each time she rung the water out using the handle that made it a little easier. Her face was a grump as she pushed the mop around the floor.

Irene stood leaning against the framework and watched Roman and Leah. She was baffled. As she watched them, she saw a glint in their eyes, and a smile on their face, and they weren't looking at anything that would raise a smile, or cause a glint in their eye. Watching further, Irene put the pieces together.

Charlie and Angelo.

Leah and Roman

The bell rang at school. The corridors buzzed with the sound of different conversations that were going on. Not only between the students, but between the staff as well. Nicole waited outside Romeo and Xavier's class, been passed by other students who commented on how much time she was spending with Xavier and Romeo. Not rising to the occasion, Nicole just ignored the comments and continued to wait. Soon after Romeo and Xavier walked out of the classroom, looking bored and tired.

"Hey" Nicole weakly said as Xavier and Romeo got closer to her.

"Hey" Xavier smiled half-heartedly

"Look, you can go see her in" Nicole looked at her watch "An hour and a half"

"That's ages away though. And I'm pretty sure Charlie had a rehab thing this morning, so Ruby would have been there with her which means she wont want to see me or talk to me" Xaiver replied as he leaned against his locker

"You don't know that. Ruby might want to see a different face. She might want to see you too" Nicole replied

"But, do you know that you're going to say to her?" Romeo asked

"Good point" Nicole siad

"I have no idea. I was gonna wing it" Xavier replied. "What?" Xavier asked as Nicole and Romeo looked to each other and then to Xavier with the smae expression on their face.

"Gonna wing it? Are you kidding? You can't pine over her for eight weeks, wanting to talk to her, miss her like crazy, talk about her non-stop only to 'wing it' when you tell her how you feel. That's just dumb" Nicole answered

"Yea, that's not a good plan" Romeo added

"Ok, so what am I supposed to say to her?" Xaiver asked

"You're asking me? Do you see a girl hanging off my arm?" Romeo replied

"Just tell her what you've told us; that you've missed her, and the time you were with her when you went to the hospital was great. You've missed her as a frined" Nicole began

"Wont I sound like a douch though?" Xavier asked

"Just be honest with her, even if that means you saying you have feelings toward her, but you don't know exactly what those feelings are" Nicole added. "Anyway, didn't you have an idea what you were going to say the other night when Gina took you too see her?"

"No, I was..."

"Gonna wing it" Romeo and Nicole replied together

Ruby stood at the kitchen sink with her hands placed on the side. She bowed her head down as she tried to stop herself from crying. Trying to control her breathing, Ruby didn't notice or hear the clink step that came from behind her.

"Ruby?" Charlie asked with concern in her voice "What's the matter?"

"Charlie, what are you doing up? You should be resting" Ruby said as she startled herself into spinning around

"Rubes" Charlie replied

"I'm fine" Ruby lied

"No you're not. Tell me what's wrong" Charlie said as she pondered about moving closer to Ruby. "But first, can you come to me?"

Ruby laughed as she made her way closer to Charlie. Charlie balanced herself on her left leg as she embraced Ruby close to her. "I'm messed up" Ruby cried

"What? Why?" Charlie asked as she stroked Ruby's hair as she swayed with Ruby

"I love you and I want to get back to what we had, but, what are people going to say? What are they going to think? I can't cope with the comments. You have Angelo to lean on, I have no one, I can't do this" Ruby said throught her tears

"I'm here Rubes, so is Morag and dad. And I'm sure Angelo will help you. And what about Xavier? He's wanted to help. So have Romeo and Nicole"

"Xavier wont want to know me once this is out in the open"

"Ruby listen to me. Xavier has always looked out for you, I reckon he has a thing for you, and if he was lusting after you before, I'm sure this wont stop him there" Charlie told Ruby as she took Ruby's head in her hands and moved it so she could look in Ruby's eyes. "If he really likes you"

"Why does this have to be such a mess? I hate it" Ruby cried

"I hate it too Rubes. But we've got this far together, we can go the rest of the way together" Chalrie smiled

"I love you" Ruby said after a long pause.

"I love you too"

Morag drove the silent car home. Ross stared at the dashboard in front of him, battling with himself over the situation that could either help or hinder Charlie's recovery. If he had his own way, Charlie wouldn't have to go and identify the men, he would.

Angelo looked out of his window. Unsure of what to make of everything. It seemed for every good thing that happened to Charlie, there was one really bad thing that followed:

Charlie and his near first kiss was interupted by the radio order of back up

The deep converstation Charlie and he was having was interupted by the attack both of them found themselves in

There midnight drink meeting was interupted by work the following morning.

Sighing heavily, Angelo gained the attention of Morag.

"What you thinking?" Morag asked as she looked to Angelo through the rear view mirror

"Nothing" Angelo replied

"A sigh like that doesn't mean 'nothing'. So, I'll ask once more. What are you thinking?"

"If Charlie and I have a future"

"Of course you do. I've seen how you have been over the last couple of months, anyone else would have ran, but you? You stayed, and I can't thank you enough for that" Ross butted in

Angelo's eyebrows raised with suprise "You don't have to thank me" Angelo replied, taken aback

"But I do. You haven't just helped Charlie, you've helped Ruby, Morag and myself. That's more than other people do in years" Ross smiled

Morag pulled the car into the drive at Leah's. Charlie's blue car was still parked in the same space it had always been parked in. The sun reflected off the car and shone brightly in Angelo's eyes as he got out of Morag's car.

"Hey" Ruby smiled as she waved to Morag, Ross and Angelo from the front of the house

"Hey. What you doing?" Ross asked as he saw Ruby carry a couple of glasses out with her

"Charlie thought it'd be nice if we sat out enjoying the sun with a couple of fruit cocktails. She's in the kitchen making some now" Ruby replied

"You left her alone?" Angelo worried

"She's fine. Been home has made such a difference. She's a different person already" Ruby smiled

Ross, Morag and Angelo cautiously walked throught the house and to the kitchen. They saw Charlie using one crutch and the untis to help her move around the kitchen. Her transitions looked so smooth and easy done, not like she had just been discharged from hospital.

"Dad. Hey. Morag, Angelo. How did it go?" Charlie asked as she looked up to find them stare at her with smiles on their faces

"Good. They're in custody. They're never going to get you again" Ross smiled as he walked to hug his daughter.

"Look at you, one hour and already one crutch" Angelo smiled as he held the other crutch in his hand

"Have you tried using two crutches and carry fruit?" Charlie replied "Its hard to do" she smiled

****ONE HOUR LATER****

Morag and Ross helped Ruby tidy up after the drinks on the proch. Angelo moved closer to Charlie when she shivered with the cold.

"Here" Angelo said as he handed Charlie his jacket

"Thanks" Charlie smiled "Hey, I never told you. But, I saw Roman and Leah this morning, when we left the hospital"

"I thought Roman wasn't allowed near you?"

Charlie laughed "No, he was allowed. But because of how much he hates you, he thought it would be better to stay away until I came out"

"So why was he at the hospital? No one knew you were getting discharged except us" Angelo quizzed

"Roman and Leah. I think they're together" Charlie said

"As in together together?"

"Well, I don't know if they are that way, all I know is they're at the kissing stage"

"But that doesn't explain what they were doing outside the hospital"

Charlie bit her lip. "I think they were planning on talking to me about it"

"Why does it concern you?" Angelo asked

"It doesn't. But Ruby made me think, Leah is my best friend, and Roman is my ex. She'd probaly think its weird or will be weird for Roman and me"

"Will it be? I mean, if they are together. Would that be a massive problem for you?" Angelo asked

"After everything I've gone through in the last few weeks, there's some things I've learnt"

"What's that?" Angelo asked

"To not take for granted what you've got. Be honest with what you are feeling. I mean, look at us"

"What about us?" Angelo asked

"I told you about Ruby because I knew you were there for me, you told me that. And it helped, more than you'll ever know. And, if Leah and Roman have found that they have a similar thing to what we have, then why would what I say or think matter?" Charlie smiled "They should be together. I'm happy for them"

"Really?" Angelo asked

"Really. And who knows, maybe you and Roman could be mates afterall"

Xavier ran home as fast as he could run. He threw his bag on to his bed and began to strip. His tie ended up over the light fitting which was on the ceiling, his shirt ended up over his computer and he left his jeans on.

Ruby laughed as she watched Xavier spray himself with his favourite fragrence.

"Meeting anyone special?" Ruby asked

"I'm going to see Ruby. Tell her something" Xavier replied, not taking note of who he was speaking to

"Tell Ruby what?" Ruby smiled

"Tell her that..." Xavier stopped mid sentence. He spun around to find Ruby sitting on his bed watching him with a smile on her face.

"Ruby" Xavier smiled

"Tell Ruby what?" Ruby asked as she rose to her feet.

Xavier smiled. Not really thinking, Xavier leaned in and kissed Ruby, who, after a shock pull-back, move closer and began to kiss Xavier more passionately.

Roman and Leah walked hand in hand along the street back to Leah's.

"Thanks for walking me home" Leah smiled

"Its fine. I don't mind" Roman smiled back

"Do you want to come in for a little while?" Leah asked

"Don't you have VJ to pick up?" Roman asked as he looked to his watch

"He has a birthday party to go to. His friend's mum is picking him up and I'm getting him from there at eight" Leah answered

"I'll come in then for a while" Roman smiled

Leah unlocked the door and walked Roman into the house. She didn't notice the clean dishes on the draining board or the jug on the side filled with a pinky-orange juice in.

Walking hand in hand to the front room, their faces dropped upon the sight in the room

Thank you for commenting/reading :)

I hope this one is ok.... I'm not so keen... :unsure:

Chapter 74

Leah let Roman's hand fall out of hers as she stared open mouthed at Charlie. Who was resting on Angelo's chest with her eyes closed. Roman looked to Charlie and then to Angelo. He felt hurt, happy and confused at the same time, he couldn't understand why he felt hurt, Charlie was only asleep on him, nothing more. Angelo looked to Leah and smiled. Leah awkwardly smiled back. Angelo looked to Roman and gave him a nod. Roman stared coldly at him for a moment or two until he nodded back. The sentiment was greatly appriciated by Angelo, he didn't want there to be any problems between him and Roman whilst Charlie was near by. Especially after Charlie wanted to talk to Leah and Roman and still be friends with them.

Angelo cautiously watched as Roman edged closer to him and Charlie. Angelo gently shook his arm which Charlie was leaning on, to try and wake her enough that she'd realise Leah was home.

Roman lowered himself into the chair oppostie Angelo and Charlie. He watched as Angelo eased his arm out from behind Charlie's limp body. He could see that there was nothing more to what he was looking at: it was a simple case of Charlie falling asleep on Angelo. Roman looked down to his hands. They remained on his knees flat. Not clenched into fists like they were the last time he had been within a few feet on Angelo. He resented Angelo for been there for Charlie when it should have been him, and he hated the fact that Charlie sought the comfort she needed from Roman in someone else.

Roman continued to watch as Angelo eased himself away from Charlie, who was now still asleep, but with her head on the back rest of the sofa. Angelo stood back toward the cupboards, not wanting to be in the way of Roman and Leah.

After an awkward period of silence, the room was made nosiy but the sound of Charlie coming round from her little sleep.

Angelo walked over to Charlie and sat beside her. Roman and Leah left the room so that they didn't startle Charlie, as she wasn't used to been home just yet.

"Hey" Angelo smiled as he looked into Charlie's sleepy eyes

"Hey" Charlie smiled back. "How long was I...?" Charlie began to ask before she was taken aback by a yawn.

"About half an hour. Look, Leah's home. And Roman's here too" Angelo told Charlie as Charlie rubbed her eyes

Charlie's eyes widened "Here? Now?" Charlie asked

"They're in the kitchen" Charlie ran her hands through her hair "Do you want me to get them?" Angelo continued

Charlie took a deep breath "Yea"

Ruby and Xavier layed on Xavier's bed.

They looked up to the ceiling as they spoke about anything and nothing. They just enjoyed been in each others company. For Ruby it was a chance to get away from all the drama and pain she and her family had been exposed to in the last few weeks. For Xavier, it was a chance to spend time with the girl who had taken his heart.

"I'm glad you came round" Xavier said as he felt arund his bed, trying to locate Ruby's hand

"Me too" Ruby replied as she smiled when she felt Xavier's hand connect with hers.

"I tried to come and see you at the hospital a few times, but, I couldn't come and see you"

"Why?" Ruby asked

"Visiting hours were over. And only you, Ross and Morag were allowed to see Charlie. I guess it makes sense. Her sister, dad and step-mum been the only ones who could see her"

Ruby bit her lip. She wanted to tell Xavier the truth. She felt she could trust him enough to divulge something like this to him, but she knew she and Charlie had to btoh be ready to start telling people. And if She was honest with herself, Ruby knew she wasn't ever going to be ready to have people know the real reason behind her conception. She didn't want people to see her as the product of something so evil. Ruby knew Charlie loved her, and so did Ross and they all they could see was Ruby. And Ruby knew she looked so much like Charlie when she was born, a baby and a toddler.

"It was to make sure Charlie didn't feel too overwhelmed. That and most of the time Charlie was too tired after her rehab sessions. It really took the energy out of her" Ruby replied

"I can imagine. So, how is Charlie?" Xavier asked

"She's good. She's now on crutches and moving around so much easier. Its amazing to watch her walk around the room" Ruby smiled

"Its made you a lot happier too" Xavier added as he noticed to smile on Ruby's face

"I'm just happy, and amazed and so proud of how far she's come since the accident. She's never given up. Even when things got really bad, she never gave up" Ruby added

"Is she still in hospital then?" Xaiver asked

Ruby smiled "No. Morag, Ross, Angelo and I brought Charlie home earlier today" Ruby answered

"She's home? Wow. Last time I saw her she looked as though she needed to be in for a few more months"

"So did we. But the doctor said she has made real good progress and there was no point of keeping her in" Ruby replied. "Can I ask you something?" RUby asked as she sat up

"Yea" Xavier replied as he sat up to join Ruby

"And you want laugh?"

"No. I won't laugh" Xavier smiled

"Your laughing and I haven't even asked the question yet" Ruby said as she saw the smile on Xavier's face

"I'm just smiling. Can't I smile?" Xavier laughed

"No" Ruby smiled

"Fine" Xaiver replied as he pulled the sides of his mouth down so it looked like he was sad.

Ruby sighed. "Do you think I look like Charlie?"

Xaiver removed his hands from his mouth. They were no longer needed. The smile from his face had gone and was replaced by a confused expression. "Why do you want to know if you look like Charlie?" Xavier asked

"Just... Do I look like Charlie?" Ruby asked

"Yes."

"You're not just saying that?" Ruby asked

"No. Your eyes are like Charlie's, I think. You have the same smile, as in, the lines that appear around your lips" Xavier said as he placed his finger on Ruby's lips. "Why is this important?"

"And Ross. Do I look like Ross?"

Xavier raised his eyebrows. "I guess." He cautiously replied "But not as much as Charlie" Ruby smiled "Again. Why is this important? And why do you keep calling Ross, Ross?"

"It's complicated. But, I promise, I will tell you, but, not just yet" Ruby replied.

Happily jumping off the bed, Ruby kissed Xavier on the cheek and made her way out of the house.

"I wanted to tell you first Charlie. I never wanted to go ahead with anything until I had spoken to you" Leah said as she took Charlie's hands "I don't want anything to ruin our friendship"

"Leah.." Charlie began

"No, let me finish. I have to tell you something, which, I know will suprise and probably make you feel hurt, but Roman and I..."

"Are seeing each other?" Charlie finished

Leah looked to Chalrie with shock "How did you..?"

"When I left the hospital earlier I saw you and Roman near the carpark. I must admit, I was alittle shocked, but, you and Roman both deserve to be happy. And if that's been together that does it then, don't let what you think I think get in your way"

"You're really ok with this?" Roman asked

Charlie looked to Roman. "When we were together it was great. But, if you're honest, I'll bet you'll say that what you and Leah have now, is more than what we had"

Roman nodded. "Does that mean the same for you and Angelo?" Roman asked Charlie looked down. "Charlie, its fine. I stuffed things up with us as a couple. I'd be stupid to do that with a friendship. I know Angelo had nothing to do with our break up. Nicole, the near-do with the alcohol and you're words made me realise that. And I also know that Angelo has been there for you throught all of this, and I'm glad you've had someone next to you" Roman looked to Angelo. "I'm sorry Angelo. For blaming you, for punching you and for just accusing you of been a part of everything going wrong between Charlie and me"

"Forget about it" Angelo replied

Roman held his hand out toward Angelo. Angelo hesitantly took Roman's hand in his own and shook.

Thank you so much for the comments! I really appriciate them and reading them. :):wub:

Hope this is ok

Chapter 75

Dropping their hands to their sides, Roman and Angelo backed away and found themselves standing near to Leah and Charlie respectively.

Leah looked to Charlie and shared her shocked expression. They both didn't expect to see such a thing from either of them, especially after what happened a few weeks ago between the two of them.

Lowering themselves to the seats next to Leah and Charlie; Roman and Angelo never broke their stares at one another. They weren't staring at each other to try and gain authority over one another, they were staring to see if they both had the same thought, the same feelings toward Charlie and Leah.

"So, who's hungry?" Leah asked as she broke the silence that fell upon the room. No one answered, they remained stood in silence. Taking in the events that had just happened. "Take it then no one is hungry" Leah mumbled as she lowered heself into the seat which over looked the couch where Charlie was sitting.

"I can give you a hand" Charlie smiled as she looked to Leah. "I'm a little hungry"

"Oh, ok. Are you sure?" Leah asked as she rose to her feet and made her way across to Charlie

"I'm sure, but I wont be in the kitchen for a few minutes" Charlie laughed

"Here. Let me help" Leah offered as she moved forward to help Charlie to her feet.

"Thanks" Charlie smiled.

Leah handed Charlie both crutches and then walked behind the couch to help Charlie push herself up. Charlie put her arms in the crutches and pushed herself up, without the help of Leah.

"Hey, you're pretty good at that" Leah smiled

"I had lots of help in the hospital" Charlie replied as she began to walk to the kitchen

Angelo cleared his throat. He began to feel like a school child been told off by his teacher as Roman's focus on him intensified.

"Erm, how are things between you and Leah?" Angelo asked

"Good. And between you and Charlie?" Roman replied

"Good" Angelo nodded. Roman nodded to and then looked away. "Look, Charlie and I were only frineds when you and her were dating, we never did anything we were friends and work colleagues. Thats it. Nothing more" Angelo continued

"I know. But I can't help but think that there was some truth in my suspicions"

"Why do you ask that?" Angelo asked

"It seems to easy for you both to be a couple within a short space of time" Roman replied

"I could say the same for you and Leah. Only difference? You and Leah has kissed. Charlie and I haven't"

Roman looked down. Angelo was right, he'd gone further with Leah then Charlie and Angelo had gone. "That's different"

"How is it? You two work together, and you got close. You never acted on it though because you were with Charlie. Charlie and I work together, we got close and never acted on it because she was with you. Its the same"

"How do you know we got close?" Roman asked as he scratched his head.

"I saw you give Leah the same look I gave Charlie" Roman looked to Angelo for him to continue "The look of desperation for her to turn to you and kiss you, to run her hand down your arms, to tell her that she loves you as much as you love her"

"You saw that?" Roman asked

"I had the same look on my face" Angelo replied

Angelo and Roman sat back and thought for a while.

"I'm happy for you and Leah" Angelo smiled

"Thanks. And I'm happy for you and Charlie" Roman replied

"Thanks"

Roman and Angelo looked at each other once again. "Is there rugby or footie on or something?" Angelo shuddered

"I hope so" Roman said as he quickly grabbed the remote

Charlie leaned against the kitchen top and reached for a knife. Leah opened the fridge and grabbed some salad ans some chicken out and handed it to Charlie. Charlei began to chope the lettuce and the cucumber up and put it in the bowl that Leah had placed on the side for Charlie. Leah then grabbed the bread from the panrty and went back into the fridge to grab the butter.

"You know, you and Roman make a cute couple" Charlie said as she looked at how uncomfortable Leah was.

Leah put the bread down and slowly faced Charlie. "What?"

"You heard. And its ok. I know how much you're kicking yourself about this" Charlie smiled

"You really think Roman and I make a cute couple?" Leah asked

"Yes I do. And you obviously both are mad for each other, that was obvious from the kiss" Charlie replied

"I really didn't want you finding out like that" Leah said as she walked over to Charlie

"I know. But if you think about it, it was probably easier than having to tell me" Charlie smiled

"Yea, I guess you're right" Charlie nodded "So, you're out! That must be great" Leah smiled

"Its amazing. I already feel so much better. And I know Dad and Morag will be glad to actually sleep in a proper bed. They never left the hospital much. Neither did Angelo or Ruby for that matter. I never would have got this far without them"

"I can imagine. But, you're home now, with the man you love, and you can fully recover here" Leah smiled

"Yea. But I do have to go back in three weeks" Charlie said

"What for?" Leah asked

"To get the pins from my leg taken out hopefully"

"You still have some in?" Leah asked

"Yea" Charlie laughed as Leah poked her leg "The doctor said it would be better for my leg if they stayed in for a while longer, that way the bone can become stronger or something like that" Charlie finished

"Or something? Didn't you listen fully?" Leah laughed

"Hey, he said I could go home, my mind was else where" Chalrie smiled

"Well, its great to have you home. I've really missed you" Leah smiled as she hugged Charlie

"I've missed you too"

Ruby came back to Leah's to find Roman and Angelo shouting at the TV whilst the football was on. Beers were in their hands and their sandwiches were half eaten on the floor.

Ruby then went into the kitchen to find Leah and Charlie sitting at the table holding cups of coffee and talking about anything and everything.

"Hey Rubes" Leah smiled

"Hey" Ruby replied "Erm, what's with the buddies in there?" Ruby asked as she pointed into the front room "I thought they hated each other"

"Apparently not anymore. Every so often we'll hear.."

"Ah come on! Easy shot!" Angelo shouted, interupting Leah mid sentence

"That" Leah smiled

"So, did you see Xaiver?" Charlie asked as Ruby pulled a seat to the table

"I did" Ruby smiled

"And?" Charlie asked

"And we're good. Better than good actually" Ruby smiled

"What happened?" Charlie smiled

"Nothing" Ruby smiled

"Something has happened. I can tell by the look on your face" Charlie said as she tapped Ruby on her nose

"We kissed"

"Ah! Ruby!" Charlie cired happily. "I told you"

"Something must be going around. Everyone is loved up" Leah smiled

Ruby looked to Charlie. Her face showed Charlie that there was something else she wanted to say, but she didn't want to say it in front of Leah.

"Its gone really quite in there. I'd better check they haven't killed each other" Leah siad as she began to walk out of the kitchen.

"What else happened?" Charlie asked as soon as Leah was out of sight

"I kind of asked him if I looked like you and Ross" Ruby replied. Charlie looked confused "I wanted to check something. And, he said that I do look like you both. And then he asked me why I asked him that and.."

"You didn't tell him did you?" Charlie asked

"No. I wouldn't, not until we both agree to start telling people. Whatever we say effects us both" Ruby replied

"Do you feel that you can tell him?" Charlie asked

"Yea. We sat on his bed, just talking. But there was more to it than just talking, there was that total ease with each other that made me realise he could be the one I can tell this too, and know that he will be the support I need"

"I'm so happy for you Rubes" Charlie smiled.

*****THE NEXT DAY******

Xaiver whistled as he made his way into the kitchen. He walked to the fridge, grabbed the orange juice out of the fridge, poured some into a glass and then put the juice back in the fridge. He then grabbed a bowl and poured some cereal into it followed by the milk he grabbed whilst he was near the fridge.

Gina and John looked at each other and then to Xavier as he continued to whistle.

"Ok, who are you and what have you done with my son?" Gina asked as she put her hand on Xaiver's forehead

"Can't I whistle without there been something wrong?" Xavier smiled

"Any bloke that whistles the day after he's been in a bad mood something has had to have happened the night before the morning" John replied

"I saw Ruby yesterday afternoon after school"

"How? She's still at the hospital" Gina asked

"No, she's home. Charlie was discharged yesterday or the day before" Xavier replied

"And what happened between you and Ruby?" Gina asked

"Nothing. we just talked"

"And?" Gina aked

"I'll let you know. See ya" Xavier said as he walked out of the house, grabbing his backpack as he walked passed it

John and Gina looked to each other and raised their eyebrows. They then looked to the door and saw Xavier walk back in.

"Forgot my breakfast"

Charlie slowly walked into the kitchen. First thing in the morning she always found difficult to move around. But she didn't want to tell anyone, particularly Ruby or Angelo. Leaning herself up against the kitchen unit, Charlie grabbed a cup and put the kettle on. She turned to face the door when there was a knock at it.

"Hey" Angelo smiled as he looked to Charlie

"Very smart" Charlie smiled as she looked at Angelo in his uniform

"It itches" Angelo said as he pulled some material away from his chest. "I can't believe I have to go to work"

"You say that like its a bad thing" Charlie smiled

"No, its not, its just, I thought I'd go back with you not by myself"

"Well as much as I would love to go back to work, I can't. Well, not for another three weeks at least"

"You're counting down already?" Angelo smiled

"I can't wait to go back to work. I'm sick of having so much time on my hands. I have no one to talk to. You're working, Leah's working, Ruby starts school again on Monday, and I'll be here, veging out in front of the TV" Charlie replied. Angelo laughed "Its not funny" Charlie said as she hit Angelo on his arm "I get bored very easily"

"I know. I'm sorry" Angelo smiled

"So, what's on the job task today?" Charlie asked as she poured the hot water into her cup.

Angelo bit his lip. It was to review the case in which Charlie nearly died and when she was attacked. Angelo knew that Charlie had a right to know they were in custody, but he didn't want to tell her. He wanted to keep her safe. "Not much"

"Angelo, stop lying" Charlie smiled

"What makes you say I'm lying?" Angelo asked

"The look on your face. Come on spill"

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! :wub:

Charlie29: hopefully, this chapter will answer your question :wink:

Chapter 76

Angelo put his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders, much to the annoyance of Charlie who was growing impatient with Angelo.

"Angelo, please. What aren't you telling me? Is it about the case? Those guys?"

Angelo removed his hands from his pockets and folded them across his chest.

"It has hasn't it" Charlie answered as she brought her hand close to her chest. "What is it?"

Angelo walked closer to Charlie, he could see how upset and scared she was just by hearing about the case. He didn't want to have to tell Charlie about what she was expected to do, and he didn't want to be the one who didn't tell her either. He wanted to be there for support, like he had been from the very first day.

"Charlie, I need you to know that I'll be right beside you through all of this" Angelo said as he held Charlie's trembling hands in his.

"They haven't got out have they?" Charlie asked as a tear fell down her cheek.

"No" Angelo replied as he wiped the tear from Charlie's face. "When I went to the station yesterday with Morag and Ross, Georgina told us that my identification wasn't enough to charge the men. I didn't see enough of their faces"

Charlie looked to Angelo. Her eyes paralized with fear as her body shook. "They want me" Charlie began to say before she was over come with tears

"Hey, shhh" Angelo said as he caught Charlie before she fell to the ground.

"I can't.." Chalrie sobbed

"Ok, ok. You don't have to, I'll see what I can do. Shhhh" Angelo siad as he tried to calm Charlie down as she continued to cry.

Leah and Roman worked along side Irene and Colleen with huge smiles on their faces. Irene knew why they were so happy, but Colleen was still in the dark. Roman walked over to the kitchen door to speak to the electrician about how much it was going to cost to redo the electrics in the kitchen. Colleen tried to eaves drop, she still felt bad about flooding the kitchen, even though Irene, Leah and Roman had told her that it could have happened to anyone of them. Leah was humming as she went through the food that was damaged with the water and was heard by Irene, who stood behind her leaning on the broom with a smile on her face.

"What's got you happy girly?" Irene asked

"Nothing" Leah replied, still with the smile on her face

"I didn't come down in the last shower missy. I know somethings put that smile there" Irene pointed to Leah's mouth. Leah's smile got a little bigger and her eyes looked to Roman quickly. "So I take it things with Roman are going great" Irene asked as she saw Leah's eyes fall back into her head

"What? What makes you say.."

"I can see you know love. I haven't gone blind yet" Irene replied. "Anyway, I thought you wanted to speak to Charlie before you and Roman got serious"

"Ok, firstly, when did I even tell you about telling Charlie?" Leah asked

"Colleen isn't the only one with the power of eaves dropping" Irene answered

"Oh" Leah smiled "And secondly, we already have spoken to Charlie"

"Really? I didn't know you went to the hospital yesterday"

"We didn't. We went back to my place before I went to get VJ from his friends house, and when we got in the front room, Charlie was asleep on the couch" Irene's eyebrows raised "Well. actually, she was asleep on Angelo"

"Charlie's home?" Irene asked happily

"Yea" Leah smiled

"Aww, that's fantastic. I might pop round and see her a little later" Irene smiled

"See who?" Colleen asked as she caught the last part of Irene's sentence

"The woman at the paint shop, see if I can get the paint for the walls" Irene replied.

Colleen walked back to where she was cleaning, happy with what Irene had told her.

"Why didn't you tell her?" Leah asked

"If Charlie has only just got out of hospital I don't think she'll want to be bombarded with visitors. Now, I know she might not appriciate me been there, but I reckon Colleen will be a little bit too much for her. I know its horrible for me to say, but"

"Its the truth. I mean, she'll be worse now because of what's happened here" Leah added

Ruby walked along the beach with Xaiver next to her. They held hands and swung them as Nicole and Romeo walked along side them.

"I can't believe Charlie is home. Its so great" Nicole smiled "I mean, especially after what she's been through"

"I know. She's been through so much, and she's come out stronger than before. I just don't want anything else to go worng for her" Ruby replied

"Do you think anything will?" Xaiver asked

"No. I mean, the guys who locked them up and pushed to boat onto them are in custody. Angelo told us as soon as he found out. So they wont cause her anymore pain and they can't harm her for a third time"

"I just can't believe that they ran and left Charlie and Angelo to die" Nicole said "Its just sick"

"But they didn't die. They're both alive and still strong. Just goes to show how tought cops are" Romeo replied as he put his arm around Nicole

"Its not fair you get today adn tommorow of school. You should be back today" Xaiver said to change the subject.

"Charlie and Ross thought it would be better if I start a full week rather than a half week" Ruby replied

Nicole looked at Ruby, confused as to why she reffered to her dad as Ross.

"How they figure that?" Xaiver asked

"Because with two days at school, I'll then have two days off, and it won't be much difference. Whereas if I do a full five days, I'll know there is a difference. I guess its because I'm so used to being in the hospital all day everyday"

"So, you meeting us at lunch?" Romeo asked

"I might do. It depends on how tired Charlie is. I don't like leaving her on her own for too long. I'm scared she'll fall and do more damage to herself"

"Rubes, you can't keep an eye on Charlie 24/7. Its not healthy" Nicole said

"I know, but I said I'd be there for her, and I'm going to be"

Morag pulled up into the drive. Ross hadn't gone with Morag as he had an appointment in the city.

Grabbing her bag from the passenger seat, Morag pulled the keys from the ignition and got out of the car. She then made her way to the back door of Leah's and looked thorugh the window of the kitchen to find Charlie gripping on to Angelo as she cired hard.

"Oh my god. What's happened?" Morag asked as she let herself in

"She knows" Angelo told Morag as he turned his head to face Morag.

"Oh Charlie" Morag sympathetically said as she placed her hand on Charlie's arm

Charlie turned her head to Morag. She broke free from Angelo and moved to Morag. The action shocked both Morag and Angelo. But, they were glad that Charlie knew who was there for her.

"Look, I'm going to go to the station right now and see if I can clear this so you don't have to see their faces" Angelo softly said as he ran his hand down Charlie's arm.

"And I'll stay here with you ok?" Morag said as she looked Charlie in the eye.

**HALF HOUR LATER**

Charlie was curled up -best she could- on the couch. Her eyes were puffy and red from the tears she had cried. He body still shook as she thought about what she was asked to do. She knew Angelo, Georgina and everyone at the station were only doing theri jobs, and she knew that if they had there own way, Charlie wouldn't have to go and ID the three people who were in custody, but it still made her feel helpless, right back there, with a bleeding head and locked in the warehouse. It gave her pain, just like she was in when she was pulled out frounder the boat.

"Here" Morag said as she handed Charlie a cup of tea "Drink this. It'll make you feel better"

"Thanks" Charlie forced a smile as she took the cup "But I don't think there is enough tea in the world to make me feel better right now"

"Listen, you don't have to go to the station right now. Angelo's ID was enough to keep them held for another few days. You don't have to make any decisions just yet" Morag told Charlie as she placed her hand on Charlie's leg

"I thought it was all over. I thought that, I could focus on getting better and getting these pins out of my leg, and focus on Ruby and Angelo. I thought all of what happened was behind me. But its not. Its never going to be behind me"

"Charlie, of course it is. It just might be a little longer than we first thought"

"How much longer? Those people took so much away from me. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have this stupid thing in my leg. I wouldn't have these scars reminding me of what happened"

"Charlie stop. You are getting better everyday. Your dad, Ruby, Angelo and I are here right beside you whenever you need us. Don't you ever forget that. And we are so proud"

"Really?" Charlie sobbed

"Really" Morag smiled "And as for taking things away from you, what about Angelo? If anything its oushed him to you" Morag said, finding a positive.

"Well yea" Charlie smiled "But I don't think I could face seeing their faces again. The last time I saw them, the woman had an evil grin on her face, I remember thinking that that would be the last thing I saw before I died. I hated it"

"But you didn't die. And Angelo, Ruby, Ross and I will be right beside you when you look at them. And you don't have to got to the hearing. I'll do all that for you"

Charlie nodded. A tear fell down her face.

"Anyway, will you be ok for a little while? I promised your father I'd pick him up from the city before I came here"

"Why's he in the city?" Charlie asked

"He didn't say. Only asked me if I could pick him up before I came to the bay" Morag replied "But don't tell him I came without him"

"Morag, I'm sure he'll forgive you for coming" Charlie smiled

Charlie sat with only herself for company. She prosessed everything Morag had told her; it made sense. She knew that she couldn't let what happened to her hold her back, she should use what happened to help her move forward. And Morag was right: If the accident didn't happen, Angelo and her may never have been aware of each others feelings. She then thought about what Angelo had told her about having to ID the two men and the woman; everyone had assumed it was three men. Her body trembled as she thought of looking at the woman who crushed her and the man who hit her across her head.

"Charlie?" Ruby's voice called from the kitchen.

"Rubes?" Charlie replied, allowing Ruby to know she was sitting in the front room.

"Hey. You alone?" Ruby asked as she sat next to Charlie "You're shaking"

"I'm ok" Charlie replied as she hugged herself.

"No you're not. What's up?" Ruby asked as she moved closer to Charlie

"Angelo came in this morning. I have to ID the woman and men who did this" Charlie answered

"What now?" Ruby asked

"No. Angelo said I can go within a week or so. He's at the station now seeing if he can work it so I don't have to see them again"

"Charlie, maybe seeing their faces again will help. I mean, you've come this far, but there is still something holding you back. Maybe you can get passed that by seeing the people who did this to you. It could help" Ruby said as she tucked Charlie's hair behind her ear

"I don't know" Charlie replied

"Charlie, I know its scary. I wish I saw who did this, but I did't, only you and Angelo did, and, they won't take Angelo word for it. You have to do this Charlie, not just for you, but for Angelo, for Ross, Morag and for me" Ruby smiled "We all want to see you back to the way you were. And that won't happen until they're locked away"

"I'm scared" Charlie replied as she looked to Ruby

"I know. But we're all here for you. And I'm not going anywhere. I'll be with you until the end"

Angelo slammed a file down on the desk in temper. He had failed. He couldn't find a way to lock them away without Charlie.

"Angelo?" Georgina said as she knocked on the door "You ok?"

"No I'm not ok. I can't do anything to help Charlie. I failed" Angelo snapped

"Look, I know you don't want Charlie to come here and see them, no one does, but there is no way we can not have her here. You've tried everything to find a way around this" Georgina said as she moved closer to Angelo

"Not everything" Angelo replied as he hit the desk once more before leaving the room.

"Charlie" Angelo said in shock as he saw Charlie stood in the doorway with Ruby, Ross and Morag beside her.

"Where are they?" Charlie asked

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! :wub: they make me smile lots :D (really)

I hope this one is ok, I'm not feeling 100% and staring at the computer isn't really helping me. So, I PROMISE I will update with a longer chapter xx

Chapter 77

Angelo remained glued to the spot he was in. As did Georgina, Avery and the other officers who were in the station. Charlie stood, using the crutches for support. Her right foot was placed on the floor, but she didn't rest enitrely on her foot as she wasn't too keen on the idea of what could go wrong.

Mixed emotions ran through the officers. Thwy were happy to see Charlie looking so well and on her feet, yet they felt she should still be at home resting, regaining all her stregnth.

"Oh my god. Charlie" Georgina smiled as she walked over to Charlie "Its great to see you" She finished as she hugged Charlie

"Thanks" Charlie replied.

Georgina took a step backwards, allowing the rest of the officers chance to see Charlie and give her hugs to welcome her back on to her feet.

Angelo watched on with a smile on his face. He could see the good it was doing for Charlie to have her surrounded by her colleagues and friends. But then he looked to the door which led to where the two men and woman were been held. He still hoped an idea would come to mind, but nothing did.

"Charlie" Angelo smiled as Charlie made her way closer to Angelo

"She was insistant in coming." Morag said as she walked next to Angelo

"Are you sure you want to do this sweetheart?" Ross asked as he placed his hand on Charlie's

"I'm sure" Charlie replied "I need to do this" Charlie added as she looked to Ruby who gave her a smile

"This way" Angelo said as he led Charlie to the interview room.

Ross, Ruby and Morag remained in the reception. Avery and Georgina approached them.

"How are you holding up?" Georgina asked as she looked to Ross

"Good. Better than Charlie I suspect though" Ross replied

"I don't know where she finds her strenght. I mean, she can still bring herself here to ID those people after everything that has happened. She deserves a medal or something" Avery put in

"I think she just wants to move forward with her life. So that means cutting off all the ties with the past that has made it so bad for her. She has us here for her, so that's a big help to her" Ruby answered.

Ross smiled when he heard the words come from Ruby's mouth. He had never been more proud of his two girls than he was today: He was proud of Ruby for been so mature about everything and how she wanted to understand about her birth. He was proud of Charlie because she was facing her demons head on. The way he had always taught her to.

"So, what happens once Charlie ID's the guys?" Ruby asked as she, Morag and Ross sat on the seats.

"Well, all the evidence will be written up into a report, including police files from the accident, witness accounts, medical examinations from Charlie and Angelo after the accident and the evidence that was found in the hut on the wharf" Morag answered

"And what about what was in the warehouse? Charlie and Angelo found something there but before they had chance to do anything, they were attacked. Thats when Charlie had those stitches in her head" Ruby added

"That will be used too" Morag replied "And then it will be a case of finding a date to go over the case and then it will be the sentencing"

"How long will that take?" Ruby asked

"Anything up to three months" Morag answered

Charlie slowly lowered herself into the chair Angelo had placed in front of the window for her. She was skeptical about the whole thing, but what Ruby had said to her gave her the push she needed to follow through with this.

Her hands shook as she looked to the glass. Visions of the woman's evil grin flashed in front of her. Charlie felt her breathing become harder and harder to do. It was as if someone was suffocating her. She had the same feeling in her chest that she had when her lung collapsed.

"Charlie?" Angelo asked as she saw Charlie struggle for air "Oh my god, Charlie?" Angelo gasped as he rushed to her side.

Charlie hit her chest as she struggled to gasp for the air she so desperately needed. Angelo panicked as he saw Charlie breakdown in front of him. Thinking quickly, Angelo took Chalrie in his arms and carried her from the room to the office.

Morag, Ross and Ruby followed Angelo into the room as they were worried about Charlie's state.

"What happened?" Ruby aksed, upset by the sight

"She just, founbd it hard to breath" Angelo replied

Morag sat beside Charlie, breathing alongside her to try and calm her breathing and make it a more regular pattern.

"I'm sorry" Angelo said as he backed away from Charlie

"Its not your fault" Ruby said as she walked to Angelo. "We all knew this could happen"

"But if I didn't tell her, she wouldn't be like this. I shoud have found a different solution" Angelo cried

"Angelo stop. This isn't helping Charlie" Ruby said. "Look, when she can breathe easier, we will take her home and try this either later or by photos" Ruby suggested "Wait, couldn't you do that?" Ruby thought

"What?" Angelo asked as he looked to Charlie, who was showing signs of calm

"Couldn't you take pictures of them from all three sides and then show them to Charlie? That way she's not face to face with them, and we can be beside her properly"

"It could work. But, Morag?" Angelo said. Morag turned to look at Angelo "Would it stand in court? If we take pictures of the guys and show them to Charlie?"

"Yes. Especially after they read about this" Morag replied "This will have to go into the evidence. Its emotional damage"

"I'll get that lined up then" Angelo smiled as he walked out of the office.

All that was left to do in the diner kitchen was to let the paint dry. The wiring had been re done, the water had been removed, the damaged piping had been mended, the water had been switched back on, food had been delivered and put away.

Irene, Leah, Colleen and Roman all looked around the kitchen at the work they had done.

"Not bad" Roman said

"Looks good" Leah smiled

"Yea, you can't tell where the water got to" Irene laughed "Can you Colleen?"

"You said it wasn't my fault" Colleen replied

"I'm joking Colleen. The place looks great. Maybe next time you can do something to the dining area so we can repaint in there"

"It may be funny to you but to me it isn't" Colleen replied in a grump

Leah and Roman laughed as Colleen excused herself from the kitchen

"So, what have you two got planned for tonight?" Irene asked

"Erm. Nothing, why?" Roman asked

"Roman, Irene knows about us" Leah told

"How?" Roman asked as he looked back and forth to Leah and Irene

"I have eyes and I can still se thorugh them. Amazing how that happens" Irene replied. "Anyway, so what you up to tonight?"

"Nothing much. VJ is back home so we probably will be doing something he wants to do" Leah replied

"So football, movie, popcorn and then a beer for me?" Roman smiled

"How was VJ when you told him?" Irene asked

"Actually, VJ figured it out" Leah replied.

Irene raised her eyebrows in shock. "Nothing gets passed him"

"Nope" Leah smiled "Actually, he hasn't seen that Charlie is home yet, he might want to spend time with Charlie" Leah thought

"Of course yea, VJ kept asking me how Charlie was doing every time I saw him. He's going to be happy to see her at home"

Nicole stared blankly at the borad that was full of equations. Her mind wasn't in the class. It was else where.

Tapping her pencil on her table, she thought about the words that stuck out from what Ruby was saying.

"Miss Franklin" Miss. Denison shouted as she was annoyed by the constant tapping coming from Nicole's table

"What?" Nicole replied as she snapped out of her daze.

"Finding it difficult to concentrate?" Miss Denison asked

"No, I'm just working it out in my head" Nicole replied

Satisfied with the answer, Miss Denis got back to her work. As did Nicole. Trying to work out why Ruby called her dad Ross.

Archived