I'll Be With You Until The End

Guest callyha

Big thanks to Danni02, Carina.vanessa.adellefan, prancer, carywary, freckleface, ~jarliefanever~ and Charlie29. I love reading your comments and are glad you like this :)

Chapter 11

"But here's the thing Charlie, we don't talk, we shout. And I'm getting tired of it!" Roman said.

"Ok. Here and now, tell me what has pissed you off" Charlie spat

"You and Angelo" Roman said

"We're friend and colleagues. And that's not what's bothering you" Charlie replied

"You and Angelo have been more than friends. And Lily" Roman said

"Whose Lily?" Charlie asked

"My brother's wife. She died four weeks ago, I told you about it, and asked if you would come to the funeral. We were coming, but then you cried off"

"I didn't cry off, work called me in, four officers were injured when a building site collapsed!" Charlie said

"You never told me that" Roman said softly

"You wouldn't give me chance to explain. You made me feel like a lousy girlfriend." Charlie said. "Is this what's been bugging you?" Charlie asked

"I honestly thought, we were in trouble" Roman said

"I think we are" Charlie said. Roman looked up. "Its taken four weeks, 20 arguments, a near miss drunken mistake and a blow to the head to get us here"

"What are we going to do?" Roman said.

"I think we need time apart" Charlie said

The words rang through Charlie's ear with a depressing ring as she sat on the edge of the bed.

Leah had kindly offered her a place to stay, which Charlie was grateful for.

It had only been four days since Charlie and Roman parted, and already Charlie was wondering if it was the right decision.

"Charlie!" Leah shouted

Charlie wiped her face, sorted her shirt out and headed out of the room.

"Morning" Charlie said, forcing a smile on her face as she entered the kitchen

"Morning. How did you sleep?" Leah asked as she poured Charlie a coffee.

"I never went to sleep" Charlie said as she took the coffee from Leah

"Charlie, you need some sleep. You haven't slept since you arrived" Leah pointed out

"How can I Leah? I may have just stuffed everything up with Roman by suggesting us taking a break" Charlie said, fighting the outburst of tears that had built up.

"Charlie, it may not seem like the brightest idea in the world now, but, the way you and Roman were going, its better that you suggested the break now"

Leah could see that no amount of words would convince Charlie otherwise. "What time will you be back tonight?" Leah asked, changing the subject

"I'm on the late shift tonight as well as the day, so I'll be back probably this time tomorrow" Charlie replied, as though the previous conversation was forgotten

"Ok, well, I've got to go to work, are you ok to give VJ a lift to school for me?" Leah asked

"Yea, sure" Charlie replied.

~~~~~~

Leah walked into the kitchen at the diner. To her surprise, Roman was more cheerful that Charlie was.

"Irene, has Roman been like this since he came in?" Leah asked

"Yea, he was whistling, smiling just happy really. That talk he and Charlie had must have done them some good. He's not so depressed" Irene commented

"Their chat?" Leah asked, misunderstanding how Irene could be the way she is

"Yea, Roman said they talked about everything and that they're good now" Irene smiled

"Really" Leah said

"Why?"

"Because I've just left Charlie, she's as miserable as she was four days ago" Leah said.

"What?" Irene said

"Yea, Charlie is depressed. If she walks in here and sees Roman like this, its gonna rip her apart"

"What the hell went on then?" Irene asked

"Charlie suggested they have a break form each other" Leah told

"Roman seems to be coping alright" Irene said

"Yea, but why" Leah asked

~~~~~

"Thanks for dropping me off Aunty Charlie" VJ said as he stepped up to Charlie's window

"Its alright little man. Have a good day" Charlie smiled at the young boy.

"I will. Bye" VJ waved.

Charlie drove away.

Recent events going through her mind.

Wondering if her and Roman had a future.

Wondering if the problems in their relationship can be fixed with this breather.

Charlie drove into town. She saw the diner on her left.

~~~~~~

"What can I get you?" Roman asked the woman stood at the counter

"Chicken salad please and a coffee" The woman replied

"Coming right up" Roman smiled.

A tear fell down Charlie's face when she saw how relaxed, and happy Roman was.

Whilst she was thinking she'd made the wrong decision, Roman was happy as anything.

~~~~~~

Nicole, Ruby, Xavier and Romeo all walked along the path towards the diner for their usual milkshakes before school.

"Hows Charlie doing?" Xavier asked as he took Ruby's hand

"No so good. Nothing I or Leah says seems to be helping" Ruby said

"How about Roman" Xavier asked

"Same" Nicole lied. Nicole wanted to tell Ruby how Roman actually was, but she felt it wouldn't help the situation.

~~~~~

Charlie watched a little longer as Roman served the next few customers. Nothing was wiping the smile off his face. With each customer came a new blow to Charlie. She felt her heart been stomped on. She felt herself been laughed at.

Not been able to watch anymore, Charlie turned around and left.

Angelo bumped into Charlie as Charlie ran out crying.

"Hey, hey, whats wrong?" Angelo asked as he took Charlie's arms

"Roman" Charlie said, she broke away from Angelo and ran down on to the beach.

Angelo walked into the diner and saw what Charlie has seen.

Roman acting like nothing had happened.

~~~~~~

"Roman. You need to stop this" Leah said as she stood next to Roman

"Why? We're on a break. I can do what I like" Roman said

"How do you think Charlie is coping?" Leah said

"Well, she shouldn't have suggested it then" Roman said, smugly

Leah took a step back. It that instant, she saw Roman hurting as much as Charlie. Only Roman, was been a teenage boy.

Angelo walked up to Roman.

"What the hell do you think you are doing?" Angelo snapped

"Serving my customers. Do you mind?"

"Yea, I mind. Charlie saw your little show. How do you think she is?" Angelo said

"She didn't care about my feelings, so why should I care about hers?" Roman said

"You don't deserve Charlie. She's the best thing that has happened to you since you arrived here and this is how you treat her?!"

"She suggested a break"

"Only to save your relationship. For some strange reason, she felt like she had a future with you"

Roman looked at Angelo.

Leah stood gobsmacked.

Irene listened intently

And Colleen? On the phone to Madge Wilkins.

"Oh my god." Roman said as the reality hit him.

"Yea, think about it" Angelo said, before walking out of the diner.

Roman turned to face Leah.

"What have I done?"

~~~~

"Charlie" Angelo shouted as he ran towards her

"Leave me alone Angelo" Charlie said through her tears.

"No" Angelo replied.

Charlie stood, glaring at him, hoping he'd leave. When Angelo didn't, she fell into him, crying.

Angelo comforted her, let her cry the tears that had built up.

~~~~

Ruby, Nicole, Xavier and Romeo saw what was going on from a distance.

"What the?" Xavier said as he saw Angelo with Charlie on the beach

The group looked over to the diner, they saw Roman, Leah and Irene run out.

~~~~~

""I don't understand. I don't get it" Charlie sobbed into Angelo's chest

"Shh," Angelo said as he stroked her hair

"Charlie!" Roman shouted as he ran onto the beach

Charlie looked over Angelo's shoulder to see Roman running towards her.

"Leave me alone Roman" Charlie shouted as she began to move away from where she was stood.

"We need to talk" Roman shouted

"Its over!" Charlie shouted as she continued to move

"Charlie wait. Charlie please" Roman said as he caught up with Charlie

"No Roman, I'm done. Do what ever you like." Charlie said, before running up the beach

Angelo headed off after Charlie, Roman felt slightly jealous as he saw Charlie let Angelo place his arm around her.

Roman gave chase.

"Roman wait!" Leah shouted as she too, joined them running.

"Angelo, thanks" Charlie said as they walked towards the police car.

"What are friends for?" Angelo said.

"Not all this" Charlie smiled.

"Wee, you can't get rid of me. I'll be with you until the end" Angleo smiled

"Thanks" Charlie smiled back.

"Charlie please" Roman said

"What?" Charlie said, still stood near Angelo.

~~~~

Romeo, Ruby, Xavier and Nicole were now stood at the tree, just a few feet away from the drama.

~~~~~

"Can't we try again?" Roman begged

"No" Charlie said. The words killing her as she said them

~~~~~

A noise near the wharfe caused everyone to flinch.

Angelo and Charlie reached for their guns and headed to where the noise came from.

Roman, Irene, Leah, Xavier, Ruby, Romeo and Nicole all followed.

~~~

As the two officers approached the noise source, Charlie recognized the man

"Oh my god, its him" Charlie whispered

"Who?" Angelo asked as he looked at the man

"Bobby, or Clyde, whatever his name was. The guy from the warehouse" Charlie said

"So what's he doing here?" Angelo inquired.

"Move forward" Charlie said.

"Wait." Angelo said

"What?" Charlie asked

"Wasn't there a woman as well?" Angelo remembered

"So?"

"So?, where is she?"

"Miss me?" The woman said. Appearing from the top end of a boat.

Angelo and Charlie didn't have time to react, before they knew it, the boat came rolling down on top of them.

"No!!" Roman shouted as he saw the boat roll down

"Charlie!" Ruby screamed as she saw Charlie under the boat.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for commenting! :)

Chapter 12

Leah grabbed Ruby as Ruby tried to run closer to Charlie.

Xavier and Romeo joined Roman near the boat as they tried to push the boat away.

Irene shakily grabbed her phone. She phoned for an ambulance.

The next sequence of events seemed to go in slow motion.

Ruby fighting with Leah to let her go, Ruby hit and pushed Leah's arms, sobbing hard as she looked over to the boat.

Roman, Xavier and Romeo trying to push the boat from on top of Charlie and Angelo. Their faces showed the strain they were putting on their bodies.

Colleen had wandered outside after Irene and Leah had been longer than they said they would be.

She watched as Ruby cried out for her sister, she watched as the men tried to move the heavy boat. She watched as an ambulance came rushing along the road.

A fire engine followed on the road, to help move the boat.

Colleen was -for the first time- speechless.

A crowd gathered on the banks above where the drama was happening.

Shocked faces were amongst them.

"I'm going to have to ask you to step back" On of the paramedics said as she edged Ruby, Leah, Irene and Nicole backwards

"My sister is under there!" Ruby cried

"We're doing all we can" The paramedic said.

Ruby hugged herself as she watched what the fire department were doing. They had already sent Xavier, Romeo and Roman away from the sight, as they didn't want three further casualties.

Three men stood at either side of the boat, hoping to lift the heavy piece of machinery off Charlie and Angelo.

"We got a live one!" One man shouted

Ruby hoped Charlie was the one they had got too. She couldn't loose her sister.

Four paramedics rushed over with a stretcher to where there was space.

Blood stained the blue shirt they were wearing. A bone pierced through the skin on their arm.

"Forget about me, get Charlie" Angelo said, struggling for breath.

Two of the paramedics continued to look for a path way to Charlie, whilst the other two lifted Angelo over to the ambulance.

"Broken forearm, patient finding it difficult to catch breathe" One of the paramedics said

"I'm fine. Get Charlie out" Angelo said again, the use of breath causing him a great deal of pain.

"Sorry, we've got you, we've taking you to the hospital" The paramedic said as she hooked Angelo up to a morphine drip.

Angelo glanced over to Ruby. Ruby looked over to Angelo. 'Sorry' Angelo mouthed. Ruby smiled slightly.

As Angelo was driven away in the ambulance, Ruby felt herself comforted with the fact that Charlie wasn't alone when the boat came at them.

As the fire department continued to lift the boat, the paramedics work as fast as they could to get to Charlie.

The pebbled ground made it difficult for the paramedics to place their equipment on level ground.

"Not breathing!" One paramedic shouted

Ruby's body crumpled in

"Starting CPR" the other paramedic said as she stared to do chest compressions on Charlie.

Leah struggled to hold on to Ruby as she watched what was going on.

Leah stared intently, hoping that Charlie would be ok.

Some by-standers filmed the footage, whilst others watched on in horror.

A white van pulled up, containing news crews. Some of the bystanders tutted in disgust. Whilst others made there way across to where the cameras were for their five minutes of fame -At someone else's pain and misery- Leah saw the going's on, she tried to shield Ruby from witnessing it.

The boat was finally secured on a near-by trailer.

This allowed the paramedic a full visual of Charlie and what they were dealing with.

Blood streamed down Charlie's face, her shoulder looked as if were dislocated, her thigh bone was piercing her trousers, her collar bone looked as though that too were broken.

The paramedic was horrified with what she had seen. She continued to do the chest compressions. With each compression, she hoped it would be enough for Charlie to take a breath.

"Come on!" She shouted

Charlie's chest suddenly moved up.

"She's breathing!" The paramedic shouted.

An oxygen mask was placed over Charlie's cut face, a morphine drip was placed in her arm, and she was lifted to the ambulance.

"Charlei? If you can hear me can you squeeze my hand? My name is Kelly and I just want you to squeeze my hand" Kelly took Charlie's hand. She felt a faint squeeze, but she couldn't be too sure.

Ruby finally broke free from Leah and ran to Charlie's side

"I'm sorry miss, but you will have to step back"

"She's my sister. I have to go with her!" Ruby sobbed

Charlie was placed in the back of the ambulance. Ruby climbed in as grabbed Charlie's hand.

"I'm here. I'm here Charlie" She cried.

The doors closed on recent events, and the sirens blared, marking the beginning of an awful wait.

~~~~~

Roman watched as the ambulance sped away. A tear fell down his face.

He'd just argued with Charlie, and if anything happens to her, he'll never get the chance to say sorry.

Irene took Romeo in her arms, the teen shook with shock. He rested his head on Irene's shoulder.

Leah took Xavier in her arms, he too, shaking from the shock. He held on tightly to Leah as he saw the boat moving in his mind.

Nicole stared. She didn't know what to do.

Eventually, Colleen wandered down and took Nicole in her arms. Nicole broke down in tears.

Roman stood. Numb.

Thanks you Carina, Danni, Charlie29 and carywary. You always comment every time! It makes me :)

And thanks for reading. ;)

Chapter 13

"What's taking so long?" Ruby asked as she nervously paced up and down the corridor. Her voice strained from the cries and screams for Charlie.

Irene, Leah and Colleen had followed to the hospital with Xavier. Romeo and Nicole in tow. All looking as pale as paper.

Xavier and Romeo's hands trembled as they sat on the seats.

Leah sat, her head in her hands, staring at the floor.

Colleen was unable to speak, the recent events made her realize, that the previously 'tarty' Nicole, had a kind and caring side.

Irene rose to her feet, she was trying to remain strong for everyone, even though all she wanted to do was breakdown in tears.

Walking up to the worried Ruby, Irene held her arms open. Ruby didn't need any convincing to approach Irene. Ruby practically fell into Irene's arms. She wept in Irene's arms until her throat ached.

~~~~~

"I have to go see her" Angelo said as he took a drip out of his arm

The nurse quickly grabbed Angelo's arm before he could fully remove the morphine drip

"Look, I'm sorry, but you can't go anywhere. You need to remain here until the doctor tells you you can move" The nurse said as she reapplied more medical tape to Angelo's arm

"I need to see Charlie. See if she is ok. Ruby will be heartbroken. She needs someone" Angelo answered, hoping the nurse would take pity on him

"I'm sorry, I wish I could help, I really do, but until you don't need this drip, you're remaining in bed" The nurse told him as she wrote something down on his board.

Angelo threw his head back on the pillow in frustration. He looked down to his left arm. The cast hiding the broken bone that he obtained from the boat.

Staring at the ceiling, Angelo found himself fighting tears. All he wanted was to find out how Charlie was doing.

Angelo then looked towards the door. Through the glass he saw doctors, nurses and patients walking past.

Throwing the covers away from his body, Angelo attempted to get his stiff body out of bed. The actions causing him pain as he placed his feet on the floor.

He went light headed when he sat up, the action causing Angelo to sway slightly. He shook it off, and attempted to stand.

When he stood, Angelo looked to see what machines he was attached to. The morphine drip was attached to a movable stand. Angelo pushed the stand forward and followed. Each step was hard to do, but he was determined to find Charlie.

~~~~~~~

"Charlie?, Charlie?. Oh my god. Stay awake!" Angelo said as he placed his hand over Charlie's. The movement hurting Angelo as he outstretched his arm to meet Charlie's. "Please Charlie"

12:26PM

Charlie lay on the operating table. Surgeons working on her left lung. It had been punctured with the weight of the boat.

Machines beeped all around Charlie. None of the doctors seem phased by their presences.

Hands were moving quickly as tools were passed from nurse to surgeon.

13:32PM

The last stitch when in Charlie's chest. The surgeon breathed a sigh of relief when the procedure was complete.

Next was putting the pins and bars in Charlie's leg.

A procedure that would take a couple of hours.

The nurses put together the tools that the new surgeon would need.

X-rays of Charlie's leg, shoulder and collar bone had reached the operating room.

The doctor put the x-rays up on the machine.

Her leg x-ray showed a clean break, but it needed to be pinned and barred.

Her shoulder x-ray showed a dislocation, a simple treatment was available.

The collar bone x-ray revealed that the bone was close to piercing the skin.

The surgeon switched the machine off and walked over to Charlie.

Holding his hands up, a nurse put a pair of blue gloves on them.

13:45PM.

Charlie's shoulder had been put back in to its socket. The surgeons then looked at their next task.

Charlie's leg.

~~~~~~~

Angelo slowly walked around the corner. Each step he took became harder to do.

His chest seemed to be screaming at him to stop, but he didn't listen.

Angelo's vision blurred for a second, when it returned, he found himself looking at a board telling him where different parts of the hospital were.

Operating theater ----->

Angelo turned to the right. Following the red line on the floor.

~~~~~~~

Roman stood in the background. Watching on as Irene comforted a lost Ruby.

Romeo and Xavier still looked pale and shocked.

Leah and Colleen walked back to the group with coffees and hot chocolates.

"Ruby, you have to drink" Leah said as she handed a hot chocolate to Ruby.

Ruby shook her head. "Not until I know Charlie is ok"

Irene held her hand out to Leah, Leah took hold of Irene's hand and squeezed it, hoping that she could gain some strength from Irene.

Thank you everyone who is commenting! :)

And Carina, Danni, Yes you can call me Cally :wink: lol. xx

**REACTIONS/CONVERSATION IS SIMILAR TO WHAT WAS PORTRAYED IN SHOW ITSELF>BY THE SAME CHARACTER***

(As soon as you read it you can see the episode I'm on about.

Chapter 14

Each step felt harder than the other. His vision became blurred every so often.

Other patients walked passed Angelo as he continued to follow the red line.

One patient stopped in front of him. "Why you going?" They asked

"Just down here" Angelo replied, the little boy couldn't have been any older then 12.

"Are you trying to leave?" The boy asked

"No" Angelo said with a slight laugh.

"Where you going then?" The boy asked as he scratched his head.

"I'm going to see my friend. She is just down this corridor" Angelo said as he pointed

"Can I come with you?" The boy asked

"Don't you have to stay here? I mean, in case your mum or doctor comes to see you" Angelo said, trying to dissuade the boy.

"I guess I should sta" The boy replied. He then glanced down at Angelo's arm. "How did you do that?"

Angelo looked at his arm. "Some naughty woman pushed something at me and my friend, and it hit me" Angelo said

"I fell out of a tree once. I broke my arm" The boy said. Then happily went off into his room.

~~~~~

"Dad" Ruby said as Ross came barging through the doors.

"Ruby" Ross replied as he opened his arms to take hold of the fragile Ruby.

Morag followed in behind.

"Hi Morag" Irene said as she walked over to Morag.

Morag smiled at Irene.

"What happened?" Ross asked as he looked up, still comforting Ruby

"Erm, Charlie and Angelo were following up on something, and a woman pushed a boat towards them, Charlie and Angelo were trapped underneath" Leah said as she clutched her necklace.

Ross turned his head slowly to look in the direction of the operating room. He then rested his head on Ruby's. A stream of tears fell down his face when he thought of Charlie been trapped under the boat.

"Has there been any updates?" Morag asked, knowing Ross would want to know, but was unable to ask.

"None so far" Colleen added.

Tony and Rachel had arrived about an hour ago and took Romeo, Xavier and Nicole home. They were fine, just a little shaken up but what they had witnessed.

Roman sat down on one of the seats, his head was in his hands. No one spoke to him, as he didn't show any signs off needing comforting.

Leah had walked over to him and offered an ear, but he shunned her. Saying he was ok.

~~~~

Angelo turned, what seemed to be the millionth corner, and saw Ruby, Ross, Morag, Leah, Colleen and Irene. A smile appeared on his face when he knew he was at the right spot.

"Angelo" Leah said as she glanced down the corridor.

Irene walked up to him and gave him a much-needed hug. Angelo didn't fight Leah, he was just happy to have that comfort.

A doctor walked out of the room where everyone was stood.

Ross and Ruby pulled apart.

"How is she?" Ross asked, squeezing Ruby's hand.

"I'm sorry. I can only tell her family" The doctor said, unsure of who was who when he met the mass of people.

"I'm her father" Ross told the doctor.

"I'm her sister" Ruby quietly said.

Irene and Colleen walked over to where Angelo and Leah were, they were still able to hear what was said, but the thought they should give them some privacy.

Roman looked up from his seat.

Morag took a step closer to Ross and Ruby.

"Charlie is fine, she's been wheeled to recovery now, which is where she will stay for a couple of weeks. We have had to re-inflate her lung, the pressed of the machine been on top of her caused some ribs to brake, and puncture her lung. Her dislocated shoulder has been put back in and we have had to place it in a sling, her collar bone broke and this is the only way we can held mend the bone. It should heal within three weeks" The doctor said

"And what about her leg?" Ruby asked

The doctor looked concerned.

"We found something whilst we were pinning and barring it into place. Charlie has a very small pelvis, was this a problem whilst she was pregnant?"

Ruby looked confused, as did Morag.

"No" Ross said, not thinking.

"Charlie's never been pregnant" Ruby added

"Well, Charlie will be unable to walk until the bone has completely healed. Which means that rehabilitation will take longer than normal"

"Is that due to her small pelvis?" Ross asked

"Yes." The doctor replied.

"Can we go see her?" Ruby asked

"Only family. I'll take you to her room" The doctor said as he led the way.

Angelo watched on. He smiled when he knew Charlie was going to be ok.

Roman sat. His eyes wide from the 'pregnant' comment.

"Come on. I'll take you back to your room" Irene said as she help Angelo turn around and head back down the corridor.

Leah went an sat next to Roman.

"You must be relieved" Leah said

"Yea" Roman replied

"Don't sound too enthusiastic" Leah said.

"I'm glad she's ok. I am. I guess,I'm in shock"

"So is Ruby. So is Angelo. So are the rest of us. Bottling up your feelings isn't going to help" Leah said as she placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Come on. Lets go for a walk and talk about this" Leah said as she helped Roman to his feet.

~~~~~~

Ruby, Morag and Ross entered Charlie's room.

Charlie lay on the bed, her arm in a sling, bruises formed near, and around her left collar bone. A slight lump could also be seen. Charlie's leg was outsdide the covers, the metal screws holding the bars in could be seen on the outside of her skin.

Ruby brought her hand up to her mouth. She crept as she closed her eyes on the sight she had seen.

Morag walked up behind Ruby and rested her hands on Ruby's shoulders, she them moved them to turn Ruby around until Morag was able to hold Ruby in her arms.

Ross slowly walked up to his daughter and took her good hand. "We're here Charlie"

Thank you to the loyals! lol :)

Again, I will be using some same bits of conversation that were used in the episodes- not a lot though.

But I won't be using the same storyline. (H&A was perfect :wink: )

Chapter 15

"I need to go in and see her" Angelo said as he was put back on his bed by two nurses.

"You have to stay here" One nurse said as she tried to lay Angelo down

"You don't understand, I have to see her"

"Are you family?" The other nurse asked

Angelo stopped. He thought about lying, but he didn't have the strength No" He replied, defeated.

"Right. Then I'm sorry. You can't go see her just yet. You'll have to wait"

Angelo lowered himself on to the bed and layed down. The adrenaline running through his veins seemed to lay down also, as he fell straight to seelp when his head hit the pillow.

The two nursers crept out of his room.

~~~~~~~

"You have to talk to someone Roman. You can't bottle it in anymore" Leah said as she placed her hand on Roman's arm

"Whats the point of talking? I've stuffed things up with Charlie, she'll never talk to me again. The last thing she remembers of me is flirting with all those customers. Then to top it all off, we have a fight on the beach with everyone around town knowing about it. So I really doubt talking about it is going to help me. Just leave me alone Leah. I don't deserve your company or time" Roman said as he shook Leah's hand off his arm

"I know you don't deserve me sitting here. But Charlie does. Even though you two did have a huge fight before the accident. Charlie isn't like that. I'm sure if you talk to her she'll listen. And even if she doesn't take in what you say, at least you know you've done everything you can to better the situation" Leah said as she cupped her hands on her lap.

"I just wish I could take it all back" Roman said, placing his head in his hands.

"You might not be able to turn the clock back, but you can tell her how sorry you are. That'll be a start"

"She wont listen" Roman said, using his arms and hands to emphasize his words.

Leah looked at Roman. He -Leah thought- was been pathetic. "Ok listen. You have pulled a lot of crap over the last few weeks. Firstly telling a complete stranger something you should have told Charlie, then deciding it was better not to tell Charlie about it, even after you doubted her. Secondly, you left it to the woman to tell her about that night, and now you can't even bring yourself to enter the room where she is!"

"Leah nothing you can make me feel worse then I already do" Roman said as he looked over to Leah.

"I'm not trying to make you feel worse than you do. I'm trying to get you to get up off your bum and go see Charlie. Ross and Ruby are in there, they both need comforting"

"Morag is in there" Roman said as he pointed.

"Two people are better than one" Leah snapped

"But.."

"Just go in there Roman" Leah shouted.

~~~~~~~~

Roman slowly opened the door, Morag turned to look at Roman.

Ruby was still sobbing slightly in her arms. Ross was still sat next to Charlie, talking to her.

"Ross" Roman said as he fully entered the room.

Ross looked over to Roman. He never said a word. Instead he quickly looked back at Charlie.

Ruby looked up from Morag's embrace. She glared at Roman, remembering how things were left. Roman bowed his head in shame.

~~~~~~

"Mum, you're late" VJ said when Leah ran in to school.

"Sorry VJ. I've been at the hospital"

VJ looked at Leah. "What's wrong?" VJ asked

"Charlie and Angelo got hurt in an incident"

"You mean the boat? that was Aunty Charlie and Angelo?" VJ asked, his face showing his concern

"How do you know about the boat?" Leah asked

"Sorry to interrupt. But we were watching a documentary on TV and a news bulletin came up, saying that two officers had been trapped under a boat" The teacher told Leah as she fully walked out of the room.

"What?" Leah asked. "When was this?"

"About two hours ago" The teacher said. "Do you know them?"

"Yea, they're my friends" Leah said as she took hold of VJ and ran out of the school

"Where are we going?" VJ asked as he nearly out ran Leah

"Home"

~~~~~

Silence was in the room.

Monitors and machines beeped as they tracked Charlie's progress.

The morphine drip at the side of her was getting less and less by the minute.

Ross was the only one awake. He was still holding Charlie's hand.

Ruby and Morag had nodded off in the two chairs that were in the room.

"Do you remember that time your mother caught you kissing Bill in the tree house? She grounded you for a week." Ross looked at Charlie. She still layed there. Not flinching. "How about when Ruby broke her arm when she was three. You must have been about seventeen and the sheer panic on your mothers and my faces seemed an over reaction compared to your cool, calm face. Ruby only wanted you"

A nurse walked into Charlie's room. "I'm just going to check on her progress" she said as she made her way to the monitors.

"Tell me, will she wake up?" Ross asked

"Yes. She's just sleeping off the anesthetic, it shouldn't be too long"

"She hasn't flinched the whole time we've been in here" Ross cried

"I know its annoying, but you will have to be patient" The nurse said as she smiled at Ross.

"Thank you" Ross smiled back.

The nurse nodded, then wrote something on the board at the bottom of Charlie's bed. She then walked back out of the room.

"Where was I?, Ah, yes. You remeber when you first passed your drivers test? You asked if you could borrow our car, and then you had to walk home, because.."

"I lost the keys" Charlie replied.

Ross looked up to Charlie's face. Through the bruises he could see Charlie's eyes. "Charlie" Ross smiled

Ruby and Morag woke up. "Charlz!"

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! They're great! :wub:

And I'm glad you're ok with me having a few similarities between my fic and the show. :wink:

Again, Some conversation/reaction similar to what was shown on the show.

Chapter 16

Charlie lay awake in the bed looking up at Ross, Morag and Ruby. All had a watery glaze in their eyes. Smiles on their faces took up half their face space.

"I'm so glad you're alright darling" Ross said as he leaned down and kissed his daughter's forehead.

Charlie smiled when the comfort washed over her.

Roman smiled as he saw Charlie had actually woken up.

"How long have I been in?" Charlie asked, her throat hurting as she spoke

"Only a day. The accident happened yesterday" Ruby said, seeing in Charlie's face she though it was a matter of days.

"Oh." Charlie closed her eyes and let out a sigh. Charlie quickly opened her eyes when she suddenly thought of Angelo. "Angelo, hows he?"Charlie asked

"He's fine. He's actually been trying to get in here to see you. He's been so worried about you" Morag told her step-daughter. The relief took a weight of Charlie's shoulder.

Roman flinched as he saw how relieved Charlie was about Angelo. He knew he'd blown it with Charlie, they only chance he had of having anything with Charlie, was if he left the room now and came back at a later date. He didn't want to, but he could see that Charlie was concerned about the person who was trapped alongside her. Roman quietly crept out of the room. He sadly walked down the corridor. Loking over his shoulder, he thought to himself 'Have I done everything I can?'

"So, where is he now?" Charlie asked clutching her throat as she asked

"He's in his room" Ruby said. Do you want me to get him?" Ruby asked

Charlie nodded, the thought of speak made her throat hurt more.

"Morag, could you get Charlie some water?" Ross asked as he took hold of Charlie's hand.

"Sure" Morag replied as she headed for the door. Ruby joined her as she walked out of the room.

When Ross was sure Morag and Ruby had completely gone, his grasp on Charlie's hand tightened. He perched on the edge of Charlie's bed and began to stroke her soft hair.

Charlie looked at him, she tried to speak but her throat caused too much agony. Instead, Charlie scrunched her eyebrows close together.

"Charlie. The doctors saw your scar" Ross told his daughter.

Charlie's eyes widened. A tear trickled down her face.

"And they asked about any complications during the pregnancy. Nothing was mentioned later, but, Ruby did hear what was said"

Morag listened outside the room. Her mouth opened when heard Ross talking openly about it. As though it didn't phase him. 'Charlie? Pregnancy? Scar?' Morag thought to herself. The cup of water fell to the floor when Morag realized what she had heard. Morag quickly brought her hands up to her face, not only because she had dropped the cup, but because she was in shock.

Ross and Charlie looked over to the door when they heard he water and the cup hit the floor. Ross brought his hand to his mouth. Charlie tried to hold on to the tears that had built up in her eyes.

Ross slowly walked over to the door. Charlie watched, the distress was seen in her eyes.

When the door was fully open, Morag was revealed to be looking in the room, her hands still covering her mouth.

~~~~~~

Ruby smiled as she approached Angelo's room.

She was like a little girl on her way to see Santa at the toy store.

Room 104. Rosetta. A

Ruby knocked on the door.

"Hey" Ruby said as she popped her head around the door.

"Hey" Angelo said sleepily.

"How you feeling?" Ruby asked as she walked over to Angelo's bed.

"I'd be a lot better if I could see Charlie and make sure she's alright" Angelo replied, the anger and pain showed in his face

"Well, Charlie want's to see you" Ruby smiled

"What? She's awake?" Angelo replied, grinning

"Yea, she woke up about an hour ago" Ruby replied

Angelo threw the covers off himself. And rose to his feet. The dizziness didn't bother him The pain he was in didn't matter anymore. Charlie was ok.

~~~~~

"Morag, let us explain" Ross said as he led Morag into the room.

"I just need a minute" Morag said as she held her index finger up.

Ross let out a worried sigh.

Charlie wiped the tears from her face.

"Ok" Morag said when she was ready. "What are you going to explain to me?"

"What did you hear?" Ross asked

"I heard you tell Charlie what the doctor told us yesterday. If Charlie had any pelvic complications when she was pregnant. And I also remember Ruby saying Charlie has never been pregnant" Morag told Ross and Charlie.

"Ruby was never meant to find out. We thought it would be best" Ross started to say

"Ruby was never meant to find out what?" Morag asked

Charlie swallowed hard. "Ruby is my daughter"

"What?" Ruby asked as she stood in the doorway.

"Ruby" Ross said as he rose to his feet.

Ruby covered her opened mouth and ran. Nearly knocking Angelo to the ground.

"Ruby wait!" Ross shouted as he followed.

Morag stood up and walked out of the room.

Charlie turned her head to the left, in shame and hoping Angelo would go.

"Charlie?" Angelo said as he took Charlie's hand.

Charlie turned her head and looked at Angelo.

Angelo smiled at her, causing Charlie to smile back

Thank you so much for the comments. They're lovely :wub:

*Some dialogue may be same as what was in show*

I hope you like this chapter, I'm not so sure :unsure:

Chapter 17

Ruby stood out front of the hospital. Hugging herself for comfort. Unsure of what to make of what she had just heard. Tears fell down her face, but she wasn't making a sound. The wind blew her hair over her face. Ruby never flinched. She stood, motionless.

Ross reached Ruby first. He stood back for a second, looking at Ruby, his heart breaking at how a secret held for so long had crushed the one person it was never to be told to. Ross brought his hand to his mouth. He wanted to cry, but he knew he wouldn't be any help to Ruby or to Charlie.

Ross slowly walked over to Ruby. Feeling his presence behind her, Ruby wiped her face and began to move away.

"Ruby please" Ross said as he grabbed her hand

"Just leave" Ruby replied, trying to get Ross's hand off her own

Morag had reached the doors. She stood back, watching as Ross tried to talk to Ruby.

"Ruby please. Listen to me"

"What so you can lie to me again? No" Ruby snapped back as she tried to break free.

"Charlie was only young when she fell pregnant. She was confused and lonely and scared, and after the baby was born she couldn't bond" Ross desperately told he, whilst keeping his grip.

Ruby turned her head away. "Please, what we did was for the best" Ross continued.

Ruby didn't look at Ross, she kept her head turned. Realizing he was failing, Ross let Ruby's hand go and Ruby fled, crying.

Ross slowly turned around, his body looking as though something was pulling him down. Morag walked over to him. "I'll go. You go back to Charlie" Morag said as she gently placed her hand on his face.

~~~~~~

Angelo, who was still in Charlie's room, saw how broken Charlie was. He stood over her, trying not to show his shock and unknowing look.

"Charlie? I meant what I said before. I'm here if you need to talk" Angelo looked away and then back again, seeing if Roman had rejoined the room. "I'll be with you until the end"

Charlie moved her head to look at Angelo. Seeing in his face that the words he has just spoken, were meant. Charlie looked at him, each passing second tears welled up in her eyes, until, she cried hard. Angelo swallowed hard. He never thought the woman he had grown to love and respect would need comfort for the one person she didn't know had feelings for her. Angelo carefully placed his arms around Charlie. Charlie leaned on Angelo as she cried for the loss of Ruby.

~~~~~~

Morag walked along the beach when she had found Ruby. Morag had no idea what to say to Ruby. What do you say after hearing a revelation like that? Morag approached Ruby slowly, unsure of how Ruby would react.

Ruby sat looking out to sea, hugging herself as the cold sea breeze blew around her. Morag sits down next to Ruby.

"Go away Morag" Ruby said when she looked at Morag

"I'm not going anywhere" Morag said as she pulled Ruby closer to her.

Ruby never tried to break free form Morag's embrace. Ruby let herself be comforted, and before she could do anything, Ruby found herself crying. Morag gently stroked Ruby's hair and swayed back and forth.

~~~~~~

Angelo pulled away from Charlie, who wiped the tears from her face. Angelo passed her a tissue.

"Thanks Angelo" Charlie sniffed

"For what?" Angelo asked

"For been here. I know you'd rather be in your own room or at home"

"Charlie, I'm your friend. I'm here for you, I'll listen to you if you want me to. You never know, I might be able to do something to help"

"Can you go back an hour and keep Ruby from the room?" Charlie asked as she put her head back down on the pillow

"I can do anything but that" Angelo said, trying not to upset Charlie more

"Thought so" Charlie said.

"I know nothing I say will help. But if you talk about it, that might help" Angelo said as she took Charlie's hand.

Charlie sighed. " I got pregnant when I was fourteen" Charlie spoke with a teary voice, Angelo's grip on Charlie's hand became more soothing "I told my parents four months later because I was scared, I didn't get pregnant from been stupid, I got pregnant because I was raped. I was so ashamed of myself, I never talked about it. When I did tell my parents, it was too late to do anything about it"

"Charlie" Angelo said softly, his voice filled with compassion

"After I had the baby, I tried so hard to bond, but I couldn't. everything that had happened, plagued me. I wanted to love her as my daughter, but I couldn't bond. I panicked and ran"

"Where did you go?" Angelo asked, seeing the difference in Charlie

"I went to my aunt's place. She got me back on my feet, took care of me. And when I was strong enough and ready to be a mum, I went home. But everything had changed. Mum and dad had bonded with my baby, I was so angry with myself for not trying harder after she was born"

"Charlie, you can't blame yourself. You tried, there was nothing else you could have done"

"I could've faught harder for Ruby when I got home. But I didn't. If I did, none of this would ever be happening. Ruby will never talk to me again. I've lost her." Charlie sobbed.

Ross was stood in the doorway. He smiled as she saw his daughter been comforted. The smile on his face was a nice changed from the pain and hurt that was on his face. He had new admiration for Angelo. Not only was he with her when she was trapped under the boat, but he was listening to her when she told his a dark secret. Never once did Angelo show that he was judging Charlie. Only showing concern for her.

Angelo brought Charlie back into a caring embrace. Ross then fully walked in the room and took over from Angelo.

Charlie placed her head on her dad shoulder and sobbed.

Angelo wiped the lone tear that trickled down his face. He hated seeing Charlie so hurt, he wanted to do something, anything that would deaden the pain. Ross looked up from where he was. "Thank you" He told Angelo as he still comforted Charlie

Angelo never said a word. Instead he smiled back, a smile that said thank you. Angelo headed out of the room, knowing Charlie wasn't alone.

~~~~~

Roman walked into the kitchen at the diner. He found his apron and placed it over his head. Roman then walked over to the sinks and washed his hands.

Colleen and Irene stood, looking at Roman with shocked expressions.

Roman dried his hands and then began putting orders together.

"Roman. What the hell are you doing here?" Irene asked as she walked up to the island in the middle of the kitchen

"I'm not needed at the hospital, Charlie has Angelo. That's all she wants. I was in the room too, she never acknowledged me" Roman said coldly as he chopped the lettuce

Irene shook her head. Hitting Roman across the head, she told him "Angelo was with Charlie when she got trapped under the boat. She'd be thanking him and making sure he was ok. I'm sure you would as how Leah was if she was trapped in the diner with you. So don't give me that. Get your butt down to that hospital and be there for Charlie, she needs the support of everyone she loves"

"I'm a third wheel there" Roman said back

"I don't care if you're last in the queue in the back corner of the car park. Charlie will need you at some point"

"What if she doesn't? Surely she can remember the fight we had"

"I don't think Charlie will be thinking about the fight you had before the accident. She'll be think how lucky she is to be alive" Irene told him

Roman looked at Irene and to Colleen. He threw his apron on the unit and ran out of the kitchen

"You do know we are now short staffed" Colleen said

"Oh for gawd sake Colleen, a little extra work wont kill ya" Irene said back

~~~~~

"Mum. How is Aunty Charlie?" VJ asked as he sat eating his tea

"Hmm? Oh, she's fine" Leah said as she looked through the TV channels for the news.

"I hope she is. I don't want anything bad happen to her"

"Neither do I mate" Leah replied as she continued to look.

This was the scene at Summer Bay Wharfe only yesterday. As you can see, two officers -who are yet to be named- We investigating the strange noise witness described as 'A burglary' The officer were trapped under a boat when a woman known as Yasmin, pushed the boat from its trailer on top of the pair. Emergency services rushed to aid the pair trapped under the boat. Yasmin has yet to be arrested by the police. I have just received conformation that the two officers trapped under the boat are Constable Angelo Rosetta of Yabbie Creek Police Station and Senior Constable Charlie Buckton, also of Yabbie Creek Police Station.

"Oh my god" Leah said as she watched in horror

"Mum? Whats wrong?" VJ asked as he walked into the room.

"Nothing" Leah said as she turned the TV off

"Is that what happened to Aunty Charlie?" VJ asked

"Yea, VJ, it is" Leah said

VJ had tears run down his face. Leah brought him to her and gave her son a comforting hug.

~~~~~

Thank you for the lovely comments :wub:

Danni and carywary thanks for the comments you left about the two chapter you missed, it was son nice to read :)

Hope you enjoy this one :)

Chapter 18

VJ had finally fallen asleep, he kept asking questions about Charlie. Leah didn't know how to answer them, as she hadn't been to the hospital whilst Charlie has been awake to find out how she was. Leah felt guilty. Charlie was her best friend and was in hospital with horrible injuries and Leah hadn't gone to see her. Slowly lowering herself into the seat, Leah broke down in tears. She cried hard as she realized she had seen everything that had happened that day.She cried as she realized that she had no idea on what progress Charlie was making. She cried because she wanted to do more for Charlie, but was unable to.

VJ awoke from his sleep to the sound of his mum crying. VJ scratched his head as he tried to figure out why she was crying. Slowly walking out of his bedroom to the lounge, VJ saw his mum curled up on the couch, rocking back and forth as she tried to comfort herself. VJ walked up to Leah and sat down beside her. Leah unhooked her arms from her legs and held VJ. Leaning on each other for support, they cried.

~~~~~~

Roman reached the hospital doors. He was thinking if coming back was the right thing to do. He didn't know whether to leave if a few days for Charlie to recover more from her injuries. Roman shook his head, almost as though he was shaking his thoughts from his mind. Roman walked into the hospital reception and looked to his left. He saw the gift shop. A small smile appeared on his face.

As he walked in the gift shop, he tried to find something that wasn't too mushy. He found a teddy bear holding a small heart and a bunch of flowers.

After paying for them at the register, Roman headed for Charlie's room.

~~~~~~

The doctor who was in theater with Charlie, was stood near the top of Charlie's bed.

Tears fall down Charlie's face.

"I know this must be difficult to hear, but rehabilitation isn't as bad as you may think"

Charlie nodded, she didn't want to tell the doctor the real reason for her tears. "I don't care about the rehab. Any of it" Charlie replied. She looked at the doctor, he looked confused. Charlie knew she was taking her anger out on him and that it wasn't fair. "Sorry. What will be happening?" Charlie asked

"Well, the brake in your leg means that walking again will be a gradual thing. Firstly, there is getting you used to using crutches. They are easy to use, once you know how to use them. when you are discharged, you will be using crutches for the next three months, maybe a little longer or less. After three months, we will redo an x-ray and see how the brake is mending"

"What happens after that?" Charlie asked, looking at her leg

"An assessment will be carried out to determine how much weight can be put on your leg. Once we have established that, you will be require to attend physical therapy sessions to regain the strength in your knee, leg and muscles" The doctor looked at Charlie. He wondered if he should continue and tell her about her other injuries, fearing that Charlie will become even more distressed. "Your lung" The doctor continued

"What about it?" Charlie asked

"We had to re-inflate it. It doesn't appear to be damaged, however we will be doing an x-ray on that also to manage the healing. You shouldn't have any affects from the puncture, however if you have shortness of breath, find it difficult to inhale and exhale, come straight down immediately"

Charlie nodded.

"We should be able to take the sling off your arm in the next week or two"

"Thank you" Charlie said

"Look, we have people in the hospital you can talk to about any of what I've just said, or about the accident. They're easily found" The doctor told Charlie

Charlie just layed there. She didn't want someone from the hospital to talk to. She just wanted Ruby.

~~~~~

Angelo and Ross rose their feet when the doctor came out of Charlie's room.

"How is she?" Ross asked, Angelo looking deep in the doctors eyes

"I've explained what's going to happen over the next few months. She says she ok with it all, but I think there's something she isn't telling me. An ordeal like this can cause severe emotional backlash and Charlie needs to open up to some one. I'm worried if she doesn't talk to someone, she'll end up needing other professional help" The doctor told Ross and Angelo

"Thank you" Ross said to the doctor as he took his hand

The doctor smiled back at Ross and left them to it.

Angelo began to walk into Charlie's room. "wait a minute" Ross said as he placed his arm in front of Angelo. "I just wanted to say thank you"

"For what?" Angelo asked

"Charlie told you something that happened 16 years ago. Only her mother and I knew about it. You've really stood by her. And I'm grateful" Ross said with a tear in his eye.

"Charlie's an amazing person. nothing could change my view of her" Angelo replied. "She's a friend. I'd do anything for her"

~~~~~

Morag listened intently to the message Leah left on her phone.

Morag, Its Leah. Look I don't know if you know, but the accident is all over the news. VJ's school principle told me. Charlie and Angelo have been named. I just thought you should know. I don't want Ross and Ruby to find it before you've had a chance to think what you can do. I'd love to help, but VJ is so upset. Call me if you need anything.

"Oh my god" Morag said as she hung up

Ruby's heart came to her mouth. "What?"

"Erm" Morag started, unsure if Ruby would want to hear Charlie's name. "That was Leah. The accident is all over the news"

"Oh my god" Ruby said

"And Charlie and Angelo have been named"

Ruby didn't know what to say. Or to do. She was still stinging from the revelation she had heard, but she was worried about her family. It didn't matter what they had done, someone in her family was hurt and they needed Ruby. Only problem was, Ruby couldn't bring herself to go back to the hospital.

Thank you so much for the lovely comments! I love reading them! :wub:

Chapter 19

Morag rose to her feet after putting her phone back in her bag. She glanced down at Ruby. Ruby stared out to sea, oblivious to the fact that Morag had stood up.

"I'm heading to the hospital to tell Ross and Charlie" Morag said.

Ruby nodded. She never made eye contact with Morag. Instead she stroked her arms, hoping that the cold chill that seemed to follow her would disappear.

Morag looked down at the sand. She wanted to stay with Ruby and comfort her, but she knew Ross and Charlie needed to know about the news. Kicking herself for leaving Ruby, Morag slowly walked up the beach and headed for her car.

Ruby looked over her shoulder. Everything was too much too handle. Ruby had barely got over the shock of Charlie nearly been crushed to death when she found out that Charlie was her mother. Only then to find out that the news footage could cause emotional problems for Charlie. Reluctantly, Ruby rose to her feet and ran up the beach after Morag. Morag smiled when she heard Ruby approaching behind her. Saying nothing -for fear of Ruby leaving- Morag never said thank you or what made you decide to come.

~~~~~

Roman walked along the corridor holding the bear and the flowers. He stopped when her reached the door. Roman had no idea what to say or how to act. Everything over the last few days have seem unreal. Taking a deep breath, Roman pushed the door open until he could fit in.

He saw Ross sitting on the seat next to Charlie holding her hand. He saw Charlie was peaceful as she slept. He then looked to the window. Angelo was sitting in the chair, he too, was asleep.

"Hi" Roman said as he walked up to the bed.

Ross smiled and nodded his head.

"How is she?" Roman asked as he placed the teddy and flowers on the table

"She's been better" Ross replied coldly.

"Look, I know what you think of me, and its not true. I do love Charlie"

"I don't care if you say you love my daughter. Showing it is more important"

"I thought no one saw me leave" Roman said

"Charlie saw"

Roman's head dropped "I thought she didn't know I was in here"

"Well, she did. And unfortunately, she needed you. You were'nt here" Ross cried

Roman was unsure if Ross was saying all this because he was upset over Charlie, or if it was what Ross really thought. Roman didn't retaliate, as he didn't want to upset Ross further.

~~~~~

The drive to the hospital was a quiet one. Morag looked ahead and would glance over to Ruby whenever she could.

Each time, Ruby sniffed. Ruby stared out of the window.

Pulling up in a clear space, Morag quickly got out of the car. Ruby needed a little longer as she unbuckled herself slowly.

Morag walked along the corridors to Charlie's room. Ruby -who had managed to keep up with Morag- found one of the seats near the room. Morag smiled at the confused teen, who pathetically smiled back.

When Morag entered the room, she saw Ross close to tears at Charlie's side, Angelo -now awake- stood weakly at the window. Roman was stood at the foot of the bed.

"Ross" Morag said as she walked up to her fragile husband.

Roman turned and walked out of the room, to give Morag and Ross some space.

Angelo slowly walked towards the door. Physically and emotionally drained, he wondered if there was anything else he could do for the family. When he walked into the corridor, he saw what he could do.

Ruby sat. Unsure of herself. She'd fidget, look about and see if there was any chance of someone coming who would tell her this was all a dream. No one did. Instead, Angelo sat down next to her. Ruby gazed ion his eyes. Her eyes were water filled. Angelo placed his arms around the distraught teen and comforted her whilst she cried.

~~~~~

THE FOLLOWING DAY

My name is Ruby Buckton. I've just recently found out that my older sister isn't actually my sister. I know that you've also had this happen to you. I have a few questions if that's alright?

Hi Ruby, I'm Bree Saunders. Yes, my older sister (15 years older than me) turned out to be my biological mother. I felt sick when I found out. I felt like my whole world had collapsed. But mine was made worse by the fact that I'd been adopted out of the family. I live in New Zealand, my biological family live in Sydney, Australia. I felt like I'd been abandoned by everyone who was supposed to love me.

Hi Bree. Oh my god, that must have been awful to find out. What I can't cope with was the lie that has been kept for my whole life. If Charlie hadn't been involved in an accident, I'd never would have found out

Hi Ruby. If you don't mind me asking, do you know the circumstances behind Charlie's pregnancy?

Hi Bree. Sorry, I don't. And I don't want to know. She probably just didn't use protection, then couldn't face up to her new responsibilities

Hi Ruby. I think you need to speak to people who knew the truth, so maybe Charlie? Question., Have you always lived with Charlie?

Hi Bree. Yea I have. Why?

Hi Ruby. So you were kept in you're family?

Hi Bree. I guess

Hi Ruby. You're lucky. Think about it. You could have been adopted out, forgotten about. But you weren't. And don't forget, this might be hard on Charlie.

Hi Bree. I guess you're right. I have been with my family. They're just a generation up than what I thought.

Ruby moved back from her computer screen. Bree was right. Even though its a devastating betrayal, she was kept with her family. All RUby knew about what happened was Charlie was 14, alone and confused. Anything could have happened.

Ruby swallowed hard. She exited from the messages her and Bree were sending to one another. The screen saver was the family picture, taken three months before Elsie died. Ruby placed her finger over Elsie's face. She was so confused, 'What do I call you?' She whispered to the picture.

~~~~~~

"I'm so sorry Morag. For everyhting" Ross said as he took Morag's hands

"You have nothing to be sorry for. Every family goes through hard ship" Morag replied

"But not this type of hardship. In one day you've lost one step-daughter and gained a step-grand-daughter" Ross replied

Morag hugged Ross. Unsure of what else she could to do to show her understanding.

"Hi" Ruby said as she knocked on the door

"Ruby" Ross said as he broke away from Morag and headed towards Ruby. Ruby took a step backwards, the action killed Ross inside.

"I want some answers" Ruby said as she hugged herself.

Thank you Carina, Danni, carywary, Sarah, lino, prancer, charlie29, charmed60 I love reading your comments! :)

This chapter has more to do with who are in the hospital. (So, Charlie, Angelo, Ross, Ruby, Morag and Roman)

Chapter 20

Ruby stood on the spot, her arms crossed over her stomach.

Ross looked over to Ruby. Just by looking he could tell she wasn't going to move forward or backward until he began to speak. Ross wiped his mouth and took a seat near the left side of the room. Ruby turned her body to face Ross. Morag didn't know where to look. Should she stay -after all, she is part of the family- or should she go? Because it is a sensitive subject and Ruby needed to know. Morag scratched her head, and then looked to Ross, she smiled slightly to mark her leaving

"Actually Morag. I think you should be here" Ruby said, breaking her silence

Morag nodded. Only to realize that she didn't want to be in the room. But she knew she would be needed for either Ruby or Ross.

"I'm waiting" Ruby said as she waved her hands from the former folded position.

Ross cleared his throat. This was a conversation Elsie, Charlie and himself never thought they'd have to talk about. "When Charlie was 14, she came to your mo.. Elsie and I" Ross began, quickly changing the name of his wife "And told us she believed she was pregnant. We were shocked, we thought she would wait until she was older to..."

"Have sex" Ruby added

Ross nodded "So, we took Charlie to the hospital, the doctor did a blood test and told us Charlie was four months pregnant. He then told us her due date. Charlie broke down in tears, Elsie and I put it down to her being pregnant. But we were wrong" Ross bowed his head. His hands caught his head as he sobbed

Morag walked over to Ross and gently stroked his back. Ruby wanted to do the same, but she couldn't bring herself to take a step forward.

Ross was unable to finish. The memories of that night flashed through his mind, every feeling, every emotion played out right in front of him, almost as though he had gone back 16 years.

Ruby saw the breakdown Ross was beginning to have. A secret causing this much pain? Am I right to be feeling betrayed? To feel like I've missed so much of my life? Ruby took a step forward.

Ross wiped his face. He didn't want to continue, but he knew Ruby had a right to know. It wasn't just Charlie's life that was effected. It was the baby's life. Ruby's life.

"Erm" Ross said shakily. Ross was about to continue speaking, but a noise from Charlie's bed stopped him. "Charlie" Ross said as he looked at his daughter.

Charlie wiped the tears from her face -she'd heard everything that had gone on- "Charlie?" Ross repeated

"Can you give us a minute?" Charlie asked

"Yes of course" Ross said. Morag took his hand and helped him out of the room. Ross placed his hand on Ruby's shoulder. Ruby shakily placed her hand on top of his and smiled slightly.

"Rubes?" Charlie said as she tried to sit herself up. She let out a gasp of pain, the noise causing Ruby to rush over to Charlie's aid. Charlie smiled at the last chance of hope for a relationship with Ruby. Ruby took a couple of steps backwards. Still unsure of what to make of what she was in the middle of finding out.

"Then what happened?" Ruby asked, now in the same position she was before, her arms folded across her stomach.

"When I was told July 2nd, I knew straight way when -and how- I got pregnant"

"But my birthday is June 13th" Ruby added

"I know. You were early." Charlie remembered.

"So how?" Ruby asked, shrugging her shoulders.

Charlie didn't know how to tell Ruby how she was conceived. It was one thing to find out that she'd been lied to for her whole life, but to then be told how she was conceived. That would kill her.

~~~~~

Angelo was nearly dead on his feet. He'd waited outside Charlie's room since earlier that day.

"Come on. I'll take you to your room" Morag told Angelo

"No, I need to be her for Charlie." Angelo said, wincing in pain "And Ruby" He added

"You'll be no use to them if you end up on the floor" Morag told him "As soon as they need you, I'll get a wheelchair and wheel you over here myself" Morag replied

"Fine" Angelo replied, defeated.

"I wont be long darling" Morag said as she began to walk with Angelo.

~~~~~

Roman sat on the wall outside. He feet knocking against the wall as he watched people and cars entering and leaving the hospital. He thought about what he had said to Charlie. And what Charlie had said to him. What happened with Pamela. Maybe Charlie and I weren't good for each other. Charlie deserves someone who isn't me. Roman thought. He knew it was true, but he didn't want it to be. He loved Charlie and the fun they had together. Charlie was the breath of fresh air he needed when he moved to the bay. Charlie got him back on his feet. She was there for him when he started at the diner, adding new ideas to the menu, Charlie was able to get the charges dropped and the drug dealer arrested after he framed Nicole. Charlie was the better half of Roman. But what was he to Charlie? The thorn in the side that causes nothing but pain?

Roman then thought about when all the trouble with Charlie had started. March 2009. Just over a year ago. When Angelo started at Yabbie Creek Police Station Roman remembered. He remembered how Charlie would always talk about Angelo. If she was late: Angelo. If she was hungover: Angelo. Roman then wondered: If angel didn't turn up, would Charlie and my relationship turned out the way it has?

Roman hand formed a fist.

~~~~~

"Oh my god" Ruby said

"Ruby please" Charlie begged

"I am the product of rape? Are you serious?" Ruby cried

"Ruby, we never wanted to tell you" Charlie cried

"I feel sick" Ruby said as she ran out of the room

"Ruby please!" Charlie cried loudly, ripping drips from her arm as she tried to chase Ruby.

Ross saw Ruby run.

Nurses ran into Charlie's room when they heard all the monitors beeping.

"Miss, I'm gonna have to ask you to calm down" One nurse said as she tried to keep Charlie on the bed

"No, I have to go" Charlie cried, trying to get the nurses off her

Ross stood at the door. He saw nurses fighting with Charlie to try and calm her down, he saw the pain in Charlie's face. The anger.

"No" Charlie screamed

One nurse reattached the morphine drip into Charlie's arm whilst another injected Charlie with a sedative. Almost instant working, Charlie's body went floppy. The nurses layed Charlie on the bed. Blood oozed from her leg. "We need a doctor in here" One nurse shouted

Ross watched on in horror.

Torn over what to do. Over who to be with.

His decision was made for him.

Ruby slowly walked back down the corridor. Ross saw her approach.

Ruby cried as she got closer to the man she had always proudly called 'dad'.

Embracing one another, they watched as the doctors and nurses assessed Charlie's -now bleeding- leg.

Archived