John Palmer - Shane Withington

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

You know, I wouldn't go so far as to say I like or trust him but I do find John Palmer very entertaining. I quite like the way that he blatantly doesn't care what people think of him, if they start throwing insults he just takes it in his stride so they end up looking childish.I'm glad that so far they've resisted the temptation to turn him into a two-dimensional villain and I hope that they won't.It does astonish me that, pretty much from day one, some viewers seem to have viewed him as some sort of evil monster because that's not how I view him at all.

I agree with both the posts above. Even at his worst with Trey, I saw Palmer as a weasel who enjoys throwing his weight around instead of "OMG, he's the worst parent ever". I'd also like to see more of Palmer than characters like Rubbish Ruby. I mentioned this in another thread, but I guarantee you that next year we get a storyline where Mayor (or whatever he is) Palmer does something to screw over the whole town (or tries to). Of course the main purpose of this will be so all the other characters can talk about how perfect Martha is and how unfair it is that Palmer won the election over her even though she's an early 20's bimbo with no policies of her own. Or maybe it will turn out that Palmer rigged the vote. Because there's no possible way he could beat Martha in a popularity contest :rolleyes: .

• 5 months later...

I really think people do need to forget about what happened with Trey or at least be able to see past it.Fair enough, he wasn't the best parent to him but people seem to be clinging to the "I don't care what he does or how sorry he claims to be, he's an abusive parent and partner and that should never be forgiven or forgotten" idea a bit too much.Which is especially ridiculous when you remember that Irene really did abuse her children, including Annie, which everyone seems quite happy to forget about.His supposed "mental abuse" of Trey only lasted about three weeks anyway.

It always seemed to be as though the moment he appeared, when he'd barely opened his mouth and certainly before we'd seen him say anything nasty to Trey, pretty much the entire audience decided that he was the Bad Parent who was responsible for Trey being such a creep and that he was going to be exposed for what he was and Trey would be taken away from him and fostered by one of the main characters while he was cast out into the darkness never to be seen again.Instead, Trey was pretty much driven out of town and John ended up moving in with one of the main characters, which seems to have thrown people a bit and they can't quite reconcile it with what they thought was going to happen.I think it's very telling that for at least his first three months on the show almost everyone just called him "Trey's father/stepfather" and didn't really think of him as an individual.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

I really think people do need to forget about what happened with Trey or at least be able to see past it.Fair enough, he wasn't the best parent to him but people seem to be clinging to the "I don't care what he does or how sorry he claims to be, he's an abusive parent and partner and that should never be forgiven or forgotten" idea a bit too much.Which is especially ridiculous when you remember that Irene really did abuse her children, including Annie, which everyone seems quite happy to forget about.His supposed "mental abuse" of Trey only lasted about three weeks anyway.

It always seemed to be as though the moment he appeared, when he'd barely opened his mouth and certainly before we'd seen him say anything nasty to Trey, pretty much the entire audience decided that he was the Bad Parent who was responsible for Trey being such a creep and that he was going to be exposed for what he was and Trey would be taken away from him and fostered by one of the main characters while he was cast out into the darkness never to be seen again.Instead, Trey was pretty much driven out of town and John ended up moving in with one of the main characters, which seems to have thrown people a bit and they can't quite reconcile it with what they thought was going to happen.I think it's very telling that for at least his first three months on the show almost everyone just called him "Trey's father/stepfather" and didn't really think of him as an individual.

Good post, I agree completely. People need to get over the Trey thing.

Good post, I agree completely. People need to get over the Trey thing.

Ditto, John can still be annoying like when he he and Tony were at each others throats, which now seems to have been resolved but I think he has now learnt his lesson over Trey and I can't see Gina letting him try to bully (mentally) Xavier.