John Palmer - Shane Withington

I think Alf was always a better parent/role model for the older 'kids' in his life like Blake and Curtis but he's never been that good with kids. Thats why that stupid scene will always stick out to me when Melody left and they had a chat whereby he referred to her like his own child or she like a father - it was so out of context and fake, we hadn't seen them have a father/daughter relationship.

Really?I followed the Melody storyline quite closely and I don't remember that at all.I know he had a brief bit comforting her when her grandmother was nasty to her and Miles said something to the effect that Alf cared about her when she skipped out on him whilst helping at the bait shop but I don't recall them taking it that far.(In fact, watching her goodbye scene, they don't talk to each other and barely acknowledge each other, which is a bit odd in itself.)

But yes, I'm extremely fond of John as a character and with the show back from its Christmas break in the UK I'm being reminded of what an impact he can make on an episode where he has almost nothing to do, so I'm hoping for more screen time this year.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Alf was always a better parent/role model for the older 'kids' in his life like Blake and Curtis but he's never been that good with kids. Thats why that stupid scene will always stick out to me when Melody left and they had a chat whereby he referred to her like his own child or she like a father - it was so out of context and fake, we hadn't seen them have a father/daughter relationship.

Really?I followed the Melody storyline quite closely and I don't remember that at all.I know he had a brief bit comforting her when her grandmother was nasty to her and Miles said something to the effect that Alf cared about her when she skipped out on him whilst helping at the bait shop but I don't recall them taking it that far.(In fact, watching her goodbye scene, they don't talk to each other and barely acknowledge each other, which is a bit odd in itself.)

But yes, I'm extremely fond of John as a character and with the show back from its Christmas break in the UK I'm being reminded of what an impact he can make on an episode where he has almost nothing to do, so I'm hoping for more screen time this year.

I'm almost certain it was Melody. I'm sure the scene took place next to the doors to the hall way off the living space in Summer Bay House. But now you have me thinking it might have been that girl who stayed with them during 2007 I think it was. Cassie befriended her via a phone help line.

I wonder what sort of relationship Trey and John would have if he was to return. At the time I didn't think much of John, but I think I was very sceptical about how the writers at the time treated the older actors (not much changed really); but I've enjoyed the way Shane's added the layers and the writers obviously cottoned on to his performance and worked it into the character.

Edited by alexx

^Ah, Lily?Could be her, I don't remember that storyline very well.

It might be interesting if Trey came back.I think John has a lot of regrets about that time but I think Trey would still be very bitter and not exactly willing to forgive.It does feel like the storyline's moved so far away from then it would be hard to bring him back but they could probably do it if they tried.

John has become one of my favourites and I hope he and Gina have decent storylines this year and more screentime, otherwise what is the point of having them around except for the odd little scene here and there that they seem to get. Their talents are being wasted with the little screen time they have.

Now that Miles has gone

we need a character to inject some humour into scenes and there are so many things they could be doing with both John and Gina if they really wanted to.

That episode where he thought Gina had menopause provided great scenes and I was hoping they'd continue with the storyline but it seems to have been forgotten that there was something wrong with Gina - maybe this year they can pick it up again. It's a storyline that could provide both drama and humour.

• 1 year later...

It is quite easily done, especially when your partner dies suddenly. Funeral costs can be very damaging to the bank account, along with other expenses and loss of earnings. And even owning businesses doesn't help the situation because it isn't instant cash, so it really doesn't mean anything in the long run.

This is a good story for the now, since this is happening a lot in the real world.

I know nothing about widows pension but depending on the life insurance, the cost of a funeral and other expenses tends to eat away a great chunk of that money. But then we are talking real life and this is happening on a soap, and we all know that financial issues can just be dreamed up for good drama :lol:!

• 1 month later...