John Palmer - Shane Withington

Controversial opinion alert - Who needs Alf when we've got Palmer? I mean he sticks his nose in everybody's business if it affects the bay, just like Alf, but he's much more likable and serves so much more of a purpose than Alf.

No way. Alf is the backbone of the show and a year ago John was hated.

Give me Alf anyday over John. Even if Alf is in his worst mood, I'd rather him.

Edited by Jen
SPAG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Controversial opinion alert - Who needs Alf when we've got Palmer? I mean he sticks his nose in everybody's business if it affects the bay, just like Alf, but he's much more likable and serves so much more of a purpose than Alf.

I agree with you. I've said before that Palmer reminds me of the old Alf (which I guess is the young Alf). I loved Alf when he used to act all high and mighty and seemed to think that running the only general store in town gave him the right to act as the King of his own tiny little empire and boss everyone around. Palmer reminds me of that guy. Even at his absolute worst, I never saw him as "OMG what a terrible guy" but more of a weasel who enjoyed throwing his weight around. Not to mention that Alf was a pretty terrible parent to Duncan in a very similar way to Palmer was with Trey and no one seems to hold that against him.

I agree with you. I've said before that Palmer reminds me of the old Alf (which I guess is the young Alf). I loved Alf when he used to act all high and mighty and seemed to think that running the only general store in town gave him the right to act as the King of his own tiny little empire and boss everyone around. Palmer reminds me of that guy. Even at his absolute worst, I never saw him as "OMG what a terrible guy" but more of a weasel who enjoyed throwing his weight around. Not to mention that Alf was a pretty terrible parent to Duncan in a very similar way to Palmer was with Trey and no one seems to hold that against him.

I always wondered why people held Alf's advice in such high esteem. I mean he's whatever age he is and he's a border in someone else's house, has how many failed businesses under his belt, random kids off god knows where most of the time. He's not exactly the model of success now is he?

I suppose Palmer's the same. Failed marriage, lunatic step son. I can't remember who it was asking him for parenting advice recently but I found it hilarious that nobody seems to remember what a bad parent he was to Trey.

Much as I love John, not sure why him being around is a reason to get rid of Alf.Is there some rule that the show's only allowed one elder gentleman?I love them both and it was nice to see a bit of a friendship forming between them at the end of last year, we haven't really had that sort of older man friendship since Don left, so hopefully there'll be more of it.

And hey, as I've said before, people take parenting advice from Irene and she was a much worse parent to her three than John was to Trey.

Much as I love John, not sure why him being around is a reason to get rid of Alf.Is there some rule that the show's only allowed one elder gentleman?I love them both and it was nice to see a bit of a friendship forming between them at the end of last year, we haven't really had that sort of older man friendship since Don left, so hopefully there'll be more of it.

And hey, as I've said before, people take parenting advice from Irene and she was a much worse parent to her three than John was to Trey.

No reason they can't coexist, I just think they kind of play the same role and I like John better.

As for Irene, she wasn't a great mum to her own kids, but there was a reason for that, and since she's been off the grog she does actually have a pretty good track record with the kids she's taken in. So it doesn't seem at all strange to me that people would go to her for advice.

I think Palmer and Alf could co exist with each other, even though they tend to duplicate each other a bit right now. With a bit of minor tweaking, they could easily turn into H&A's version of Harold Bishop and Lou Carpenter.

I certainly wouldn't be asking Palmer for parenting advice, but I find it stupid how some people in these forums are so hard on him when they've been so eager to forgive guys like Aden and Kane , who were far less remorseful about being far bigger jerks for far longer periods of time. Maybe John should tell people he was abused as a child.

I agree and agree with these points.

I agree and agree with these points.

Duncan was very out of control.

Edited by john003au

• 5 months later...

^Thanks for the nod, its a great interview!

No reason they can't coexist, I just think they kind of play the same role and I like John better.

As for Irene, she wasn't a great mum to her own kids, but there was a reason for that, and since she's been off the grog she does actually have a pretty good track record with the kids she's taken in. So it doesn't seem at all strange to me that people would go to her for advice.

I think Alf was always a better parent/role model for the older 'kids' in his life like Blake and Curtis but he's never been that good with kids. Thats why that stupid scene will always stick out to me when Melody left and they had a chat whereby he referred to her like his own child or she like a father - it was so out of context and fake, we hadn't seen them have a father/daughter relationship. I'd prefer them have Alf give out rubbish advice here and there. But I'd really like to see Duncan return now he is a young adult, like Irene with her kids, I always feel like theres much unfinished business.

Same applies to John. He's a great character and I've shared the same opinion as you guys in that he is similar to the younger Alf, but he's a bit more scheming and has more of a comical edge. I hope both Gina and John are given more to do in the coming year.