Plagiarism?

Guest Symphony

I too, have a couple of times found that people have taken my artwork and passed it off as their own, and a couple of people on here, I wont name anyone are using a piece of my artwork that I made, and have not credited me for it, I have asked them to or take it down, but they havent as yet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too, have a couple of times found that people have taken my artwork and passed it off as their own, and a couple of people on here, I wont name anyone are using a piece of my artwork that I made, and have not credited me for it, I have asked them to or take it down, but they havent as yet

Let us know the details including some confirming proof that the item is yours.

John H

Forum Moderator

Anybody who copies original work and passes it off as their own is not only committing the tort of passing off but is also in breach of copyright legislation so are liable in law. Pointing out those facts to them might deter them.

Well I think thats going a bit OTT.

I highly doubt people from BttB have their work copyrighted :lol:

Anybody who copies original work and passes it off as their own is not only committing the tort of passing off but is also in breach of copyright legislation so are liable in law. Pointing out those facts to them might deter them.

All my poetry / songs / novels / short stories are legally copyrighted, as are any layout designs I have done, and the occasional banner [depending on the site it was for].

And, to John003au, so people who put up an icon in say May, and someone else copies their icon and puts it up in June - would that not count as proof?

Because, to be honest, I don't think many, if any of the artists on here put watermarks on every single avator icon / banner / sig that they do...

You obviously don't understand what you are talking about. Anything that is originally produced by anybody has an automatic copyright. "I highly doubt people from BttB have their work copyrighted" therefore makes no sense.

You obviously don't understand what you are talking about. Anything that is originally produced by anybody has an automatic copyright. "I highly doubt people from BttB have their work copyrighted" therefore makes no sense.

So basically your telling me if someone took a screencapture of H&A and then changed the colour , I took it and used it , so I could be arrested and sent to prison ?

As a qualified lawyer, what Mistified said is legally correct. By law the penalty is a hefty fine rather than imprisonment but yes in answer to sexylucs question technically you could be liable for taking a screencapture or someone's artwork, changing it and reusing.

That said it is unlikely that Seven would ever sue somebody for using their material given that persuing it is highly expensive, not to mention detractive and serves no purpose as its not really harming anybody.

I also doubt whether anyone on a internet board would go so far as to persue legal action, bearing in mind that the burden of proof is high and the costs would far outweigh the damages but there is a legal case to answer if somebody wanted to persue it.

In those sort of cases the burden of proof lies with the person alleging copyright theft. Proof that you posted an icon a month before someone else used it is proof in our eyes but the law requires more comprehensive proof in order to bring a legal writ.

As far as bttb is concerned we do not allow people to pass other people's work as their own and if you provide us with proof we will do our best to deal with it. That would include removing the material in question and issuing board warnings to the member in question.

Archived