Plagiarism?

Guest Symphony

I have a question about plagerism on the board? It's something I've reported before, to the Admin / Mods, but checked the other day and saw the case of what I reported is still there ...

Am just wondering, well, why basically, is plagerism allowed on the board?

Plagerism = taking a work that someone else did and calling it your own. Be it a story, a poem, a manipulated image, a painting, anything!

Having been the victim of plagerism myself before [with a poem] I know how soul destroying it can get to have someone sitting there saying "yes, this is my creation" and you thinking, errr no it's not, you stole it, edited it a little and slapped your own name on it :(

Edit; and even though I don't know the original owner of the plagerism I've seen on here, it still bugs me to know it's going on blatantly.

So um, well yeah - that's my question. Why is it allowed =/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question about plagerism on the board? It's something I've reported before, to the Admin / Mods, but checked the other day and saw the case of what I reported is still there ...

Am just wondering, well, why basically, is plagerism allowed on the board?

Plagerism = taking a work that someone else did and calling it your own. Be it a story, a poem, a manipulated image, a painting, anything!

Having been the victim of plagerism myself before [with a poem] I know how soul destroying it can get to have someone sitting there saying "yes, this is my creation" and you thinking, errr no it's not, you stole it, edited it a little and slapped your own name on it :(

Edit; and even though I don't know the original owner of the plagerism I've seen on here, it still bugs me to know it's going on blatantly.

So um, well yeah - that's my question. Why is it allowed =/

What in particular has been copied and passed off as their own ?

-sigh- I apologise for not having perfect spelling.

And, sexyluc, I woudl rather not say until the matter has been dealt with - if it's going to be dealt with, because pointing fingers is both (a) harrasment, and (b) giving them a chance to remove the offending material and then call me a liar about it :)

Symphony, I totally agree with you about this whole plagiarism case going on in the fanfiction forum (I don't go into the art section so I cannot comment on this). But, from what I have read, there is a lot of copying being done. Personally, I have noticed that a certain fantastic fanfic writer has had many of their ideas being copied in many other fics. And you can tell they have copied it because they have left comments about it in the fiction they've knicked it from. I find it utterly disgusting, and I wish there was something someone can do about it. I know it's not my work being ripped off, but I still find it offensive to see such great writing and ideas, and time and effort, going to waste. I have pointed out the incident to the victim, but I think she may be too shy to say anything about it. So I think I will instead!

Symphony - Please could you PM me details of the original case of plagiarism which you're talking about.

I agree that finger pointing in this thread is not the best way to deal with this situation so if you could PM myself or another Moderator if anyone is aware of any other cases of plagiarism on the board :)

Symphony - Please could you PM me details of the original case of plagiarism which you're talking about.

I agree that finger pointing in this thread is not the best way to deal with this situation so if you could PM myself or another Moderator if anyone is aware of any other cases of plagiarism on the board :)

Will do Karen. I took screenshots the other day :)

Symphony, I totally agree with you about this whole plagiarism case going on in the fanfiction forum (I don't go into the art section so I cannot comment on this). But, from what I have read, there is a lot of copying being done. Personally, I have noticed that a certain fantastic fanfic writer has had many of their ideas being copied in many other fics. And you can tell they have copied it because they have left comments about it in the fiction they've knicked it from. I find it utterly disgusting, and I wish there was something someone can do about it. I know it's not my work being ripped off, but I still find it offensive to see such great writing and ideas, and time and effort, going to waste. I have pointed out the incident to the victim, but I think she may be too shy to say anything about it. So I think I will instead!

There is also the case where some people absolutely hate having their work plagiarised, whilst others don't find it a particularly big deal.

There is also the case where some people absolutely hate having their work plagiarised, whilst others don't find it a particularly big deal.

I would be a bit annoyed if someone else was using my work and then saying its their own.

I'd like to say its not that big a deal but I know how it feels when someone takes something you made and passed it off as their own as a few months back a fan video I made on Youtube was downloaded by someone and reuploaded and passed off as his/hers. :angry:

Archived