Bushfires

Guest zzazzb

The British newspaper The Daily Mail has turned the fires into a joke. They have run with a picture of the fires, with a ‘humorous’ caption.

Having lived in England for years, I have always been disgusted by the British press. They have newspapers with rude photographs of naked women on page three. They go for sensationalism rather than the truth. And they always say awful things about Australians.

And now people have been burnt alive and others have lost everything, and Britain thinks it’s funny.

Now I remember why I left that country.

I wouldn't have expected any less of the Daily Mail, they are a truly awful newspaper. But I don't think it's fair to say that Britain thinks it's funny. The majority of the country are devastated for Australia. I know I am.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say I am shocked by these terrible fires and in my experience, the vast majority of British people are- anyone who isn't is just not worth thinking about. I can't imagine why the Daily Mail are being so insensitive, be assured that most people in this country know what a rag it is and ignore it. There are cases where it and others have run such nasty stories about people that the public have complained and made them change them- hopefully this will happen this time.

Anyway, I came on this thread hoping to read that the fires have been dealt with. I shall just say that I'm sorry to hear about this situation and not get involved in any country bashing.

I live only about a km from Narre Warren, ontop of a small hill and I could see smoke wafting across the ground only a few hundred metres away. Was watching the news tonight, some of the scenes with the hills blazing in the darkness are definately the fitting image of hell.

They are saying that the fires actually generated their own thunderstorms, complete with lightning and wind gusts :o

There are reports of lightning in the central and northeast parts of the state which could spark new fires.

Smoke haze is expected to envelope Melbourne mid-week as winds turn easterly.

Yeah they were. Was pretty horrified when storms started forming and continued to make the fire worse.

My cousins live over in Melbournes Suburbs (im not sure where though).

I am deeply sad to anyone whose friends/family has lost there home or loved ones :(

I hope they catch whoever did this :angry:

Hang on dont Run our Press Down not all the papers are the same The Dailey Mail is out on its own as far as I,m concerned i personally have the Sun yes they have what you cll a page three girl thats all ways been there but as for makeing a joke about the fires in Oz THE sUN HAS ALL but reported the truth about whats going on, in fact people have relatives in Australia and think about them when this sort of thing happens how you can say the comments you have when I have not only read about the fires but whatched the news on sky to here of a sheep running around a feild alight its awful, us brits are all not morans and I dont beleive we dont feeel the pain on thoes who have lost loved ones in the fires to here kIDS MAY HAVE STARTED THE FIRES YES i hope they catch them and lock them uo for a long while there is nothink worse than knowing kids do this sort of thing just for a laugh, I AND MANY OTHER BRITS ARENT LAUGHING.

I can't imagine how terrible this must be for everyone involved, what ive seen on the news both last night and today has really shocked and saddened me, i really feel for all the families at this devastating time. To think that people deliberately started these fires just disgusts me, how anyone can even comprehend such an evil act is totally beyond me.

Just want to say that my thoughts & prayers are with everyone affected by these awful fires. I have been in tears watching the news over here in the UK, its just terrible. :(

I am absolutely appalled that some of these seem to have been started deliberately, or fires that had been put out have been re-lit by arsonists. :angry: I hope they catch the culprits & they get put away!

Archived