Bushfires

Guest zzazzb

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really scary to watch on the news. What sort of person would start this sort of thing?

The sky had a yellow tinge here yesterday. Not so much today since it's rained all day.

It's very scary to watch! I just about end up in tears everytime I see it!

I have family in that part of Victoria, but they all evacuated in time. It is so tragic to know entire towns have been lost. The scary thing is, they are still expecting to find another hundred dead bodies.

I was in the middle of the 2003 Canberra bushfires, and stood at the top of our driveway watching the flames come in from every direction. The sky turned black at 3pm, and red at 4pm, and it rained ash and embers all night. There were sirens everywhere and helicopters waterbombing all night. The next morning everything around us was like a war zone, with abandoned burnt-out cars, and houses just piles of rubble.

It is so hard to imagine just how terrifying it is unless you have experienced it.

I can't believe that the death toll could be more than 200. That's insane. I mean, there are cyclones and tsunamis and that sort of thing that can devastate thousands of people all at once, but this is just so slow and drawn out that it somehow seems just as bad. Not in terms of lives lost, but in terms of horror. Everyone must be so terrified, whether they're fighting the fires themselves or are just worried about loved ones that they haven't heard from.

They say the Brisbane Water fire is contained, but there seems to be a thin cloud covering. It's cool here today and rain is forecast, but I'm not sure that it will be heavy rain, and I'm worried that it might bring lightning. Again, paranoid, but the last time a bush fire came to the end of my street, I was home alone and I was panicking and I didn't know what to do. Luckily it didn't come any closer, and I think only one or two houses were under serious threat, but it was scary as hell and I don't want to be here alone if it happens again. Last time I was a teenager, and I could get away with cowering and shivering in a cold sweat at the neighbour's house... Now I'm 24, and it will be just a little more pathetic if my house isn't actually in danger, but I'm still scared of the fire :(

My sister's also left her kid here for the night. If anything happens tonight... I don't want to be responsible for wrangling a disagreeable six year old on top of everything else!

Archived