Shattered Glass

Guest Louise_2983

Your wish is my command :wink:

Chapter 9

Their lips were pressed lustfully together, their hands roaming freely over bodies aching with alcohol fuelled desire. His shirt was lost half way up the staircase, her designer dress tugged impatiently over her head as they fell through the half open door of his bedroom. Hungry, eager, yearning. Their limbs entwined as he lowered her onto the king sized bed. Urgent and impulsive. Kissing and caressing. Hot and lustful.

“Roman, what are we doing?!” she exclaimed, the haze of inebriation suddenly clearing as sobriety hit her with a cold hard thump.

He froze, his taut, muscular body hovering above hers, his soft, red lips just millimetres from her own as he gazed down at her and she witnessed the stark recognition of their actions crash into him too.

“S**t!” he cursed his own stupidity, rolling his impressive frame from above her and collapsing flat on his back on the other side of the bed.

Mutually mortified they lay mere inches from each other, the raspy sound of their deep breaths as they struggled to return to their regular pattern the only noise which punctuated the silence lingering between them.

“Oh my god” she groaned, her breathing finally managing to at least give the impression of normality.

“S**t” he repeated again, his tone calmer but the sentiment the same.

“I shouldn’t be here” she sighed. He didn’t have to respond for her to know he concurred.

“I love him” she whispered, hitching up the cover to cover the modesty her lacy underwear didn’t stretch to.

“Johnny Whatisname?” Roman questioned with no response.

“Or Aden?”

“I don’t love Johnny” she half laughed.

“I spend half my time posing as the perfect girlfriend and the other half dealing with his drug binges. I ignore the fact that he sleeps with every member of the female species who so much as flutters an

eyelash at him and I lie through my teeth about how perfect our relationship is. I do it all without a second thought but I don’t love him. I’ve never loved him”

“Then what are you doing with him?” he asked, his gaze still focused on the cotton light shade hanging over the bed. His mind trying to block out just what they had almost done. Trying to obliterate from

his memory that what they had done was even too much.

“It works” she shrugged her shoulders and he felt the resulting ripple of the mattress against the strong muscles of his back.

“I don’t get it”

“It works” she repeated nonchalantly.

“Because no matter what either of us do...sleep around or love other people or god knows what. The other never cares enough for it to actually matter”

“Belle, that’s really sad” he stated softly.

“Story of my life” she whispered.

“But it works. He gets a girlfriend to parade around in front of the press so no one realises just how emotionally stunted and undeserving of worldwide adulation really is. Instead women want to be with

him, women want to be me. Which is just one big joke considering none of them have a clue just how much of a screw up I am. But that’s how it works, we’re our own little brand.”

She laughed quietly more to herself than for Roman’s benefit.

“So if that’s what he gets. What do you get?” he rotated his head so his cheek rested against the downy pillow and looked at her expectantly.

“I get...” she gulped as she prepared to admit the one thing she’d been denying to everyone, including herself for the past 3 years.

“I get something to hide behind. If I portray to the world that I’m in this amazing relationship with practically every woman’s dream man then men don’t dare approach me and I don’t have to deal with

even the idea of letting someone that far in again. I’m petrified of anyone getting past my emotional barriers so I use Johnny as a physical one. I get to hide from myself and I have to stop doing that”

“Tell him”

“Johnny knows, he doesn’t love me either”

“I didn’t mean Johnny” Roman told her matter of factly.

“I know” she whispered, her voice low and breaking.

“But I can’t”

“Telling one person the truth has got to be easier than lying to the whole world hasn’t it?” Roman let a tiny chuckle escape.

“We’re not 19 anymore. There are other people involved. We spent 3 years totally absorbed in each other and as soon as something changed so it wasn’t just us anymore everything fell apart. As much

as I blame myself we both did and said things and didn’t do or say things and that led to a lot of hurt. I won’t be the cause of that for anyone else. People who don’t deserve to be affected by all this”

“Kirsty?” he enquired hesitantly.

“Jamie mostly” she smiled weakly.

“I have to focus on him now. I missed so much and I’ll never get that back I accept that. But I need to make the most of every second that’s left”

“He’s 4” Roman laughed.

“There’s a lot of seconds left to treasure trust me”

“And I don’t plan on missing any of it” she asserted beginning to sit up in an attempt to leave.

“Woah” she groaned, flopping back down onto the soft mattress as her blood alcohol level impaired both movement and vision in one fell swoop.

“I might just stay here until the room stops spinning”

“The room’s not spinning Belle”

“You’re right” she giggled.

“The whole world is”

“You can come in” she told him from where she sat on the couch as her head twisted to face him.

“Or are you going to stand sheepishly by the door staring at me all day? Because that’s kind of freaky Roman”

“I just...” his cheeks briefly flushed.

“Are you blushing?” she laughed.

“What happened last night should never have happened” he told her unimpressed at her amusement.

“Oh relax Roman, god I never imagined it would have embarrassed you”

“It wasn’t what happened that embarrassed me it was who it happened with. You’re Aden’s....” he paused not sure how to describe it.

“No I’m not. I don’t belong to Aden, I never have, I’m just Belle. And what happened last night was between two consenting adults. It was no one’s business but ours. It was just some kissing and yes

we happened to be half dressed but I wear less than that at the beach! Nothing really happened and even if it had so what?! I am tired of having to explain my actions to the entire town!”

“Is that what you said to Aden and Nicole this morning?”

“Pretty much” she shrugged.

“Only I was majorly hung over and I couldn’t actually remember whether it had gone any further than it did”

“You remember now though right?”

“Clearly”

“Good” she saw him breathe a visible sigh of relief.

“I just told them what you and I did, in your bedroom or mine or anywhere else for that matter was no one else’s business especially not there’s. And then I made a sharp exit”

“God” he sighed.

“No wonder Nicole’s stomping around muttering under her breath about how she wouldn’t even dare to ask!”

“What about Aden?” she questioned, trying to mask that even though she had meant it when she had said it wasn’t his business she actually wanted him to care.

“He’d left before I got up. I tried to catch up with him at lunch but it seems he’s avoiding me”

“Never!” Belle chuckled as Annie suddenly came bounding down the stairs.

“They’re here!” the younger female announced.

“Who?” Belle asked confused.

“Geoff and Irene”

“Irene?” Belle looked at Annie, concern for her mental well being flashing across her face.

Geoff flung open the front door and guided three burly looking men into the house, directing them as to where to put the heavy light cedar coffin they were carrying.

“Oh my god” Belle muttered, Geoff and Annie both shooting disapproving looks at her as she blasphemed.

“Guys...what...we didn’t discuss this”

“We thought it would be nice if Irene was at home for the few days before the funeral” Geoff explained.

“Nice for who exactly?” she asked as her gaze hovered over the coffin, the gleaming gold plaque bearing Irene’s name and date of birth shining in the sunlight.

“Belle, this was her home” Annie insisted.

“Was Annie, Was. I can’t deal with this”

“Would you like the casket open or closed?” one of the undertakers asked Geoff.

“Closed” Belle replied as exactly the same time as Geoff said “Open”

“Look, you might be able to deal with this but I can’t. Don’t you understand? I don’t want to remember Irene lying in a coffin dead. I want to remember her how she was, what her laugh sounded like,

how annoyed she used to get when one of us got into some sort of trouble even though we knew deep down that she loved us. I don’t want to remember her like this”

“Can’t we just have it open for a little while?” Annie questioned.

“You could go out?”

“Fine” she replied feeling as though she had no option but to agree.

Without another word she fled the house and sought solace on the beach, grief and confusion and pain soaring through her in copious amounts. She fought a losing battle with the tears threatening to

break free, conceding defeat as she saw him approaching and she found she had nothing to hide behind more.

As he stopped in front of her she struggled to decipher which emotion prevailed in his expression. Anger, concern, disgust. They all seemed to intermingle as warm teardrops fell down her tender cheeks.

“Don’t cry” he whispered as she turned away from him.

“You know I hate it when you cry”

“Then go away and you don’t have to watch” she commanded without looking back, her feet taking her further away from him within every word.

No smart comment came back at her and for the briefest of moments she thought he had followed her meaningless order until suddenly his arms were around her and she was sobbing against his chest,

finally realising the emotions which had been pent up inside her, escalating every day, since her return to the Bay.

His hold confused her.

Tender yet rough.

Soft yet hard.

Warm yet cold.

The ultimate in oxymorons.

She struggled to feel comfort as he grasped her as though he had no choice but given one he wouldn’t be doing it.

Finally getting a handle on her tears she pulled away slightly.

“I didn’t sleep with Roman” she sniffled.

“It’s none of your business really, I don’t have to explain to you but I want to. I didn’t sleep with him, we were drunk and we kissed and it went a bit further than it should have but we stopped before it went too far. We stopped Aden, we just fell asleep, so you have no reason to be angry at either of us”

“I’m not angry” he laughed in disbelief.

“You’re not?!” her eyes widened in shock.

“No” he shook his head and a surge of disappointment soared through her. Maybe he really didn’t care, maybe he was just really good at fooling her.

“I’m not angry Belle” he repeated.

“I’m jealous” he whispered running a hand tenderly down her cheek and lifting her chin to look directly into his blue eyes.

“I’m jealous of Roman and Johnny Whatisface and Angelo and anyone else who has ever touched you”

“It’s just sex Aden” she shrugged.

“How can you say that Belle?” he questioned softly.

“You know how much it took for me...for us to...”

“I know” she whispered.

“But are you telling me then that when you sleep with Kirsty it’s mad passionate lovemaking?”

“No” he conceded quietly.

“It’s just sex”

“Exactly” she told him, still holding his gaze.

“What we had Aden...that was never just sex”

“I know” this time he whispered the words as she reached into her pocket and pulled out a tiny slip of paper before handing it to him.

“What’s this?” he asked, staring at the notepaper.

“Read it” she instructed.

“I like to make my messages more obvious”

He unfolded the paper and took in her neat, curled script.

I still love you too

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yyyyaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i so glad that they admitted that they loved each other

for this to work thought i think kirsty has to walk away

but knowing your writing there will be many twists before there is any sort of light at the end of the tunnel

update soon xxxxx

ohh my!

that was so sweet at the end

im glad they didnt sleep together

that would have been wrong on so many levels...

i loved the bit where aden said: im not angry...im jealous...

i could see an older aden sayin that

i also liked the bit where he comforted belle...

i loved the way belle wrote i love you too...

great update

update soon...

x

Loved the flashback conversation between Roman and Belle and her understanding that she and Aden can't just exist in their own little bubble anymore.Liked that she managed to sort out her...difference of opinions with Geoff and Annie without it becoming unpleasant.

And no way is Roman old enough to be Belle's father.I doubt there's more than eleven years between them.If he's old enough to be Belle's father, so am I.And I am not old enough to be Belle's father.

Archived