Shattered Glass

Guest Louise_2983

Wow, that was so sad and sweet and beautiful!

I love that they both said they couldn't do it, i thought it was more realistic and the way she told him what had happened to her was perfect and sad!

The discs were so sweet! I love that you brought the others into it at the end, i could see it playing out like that.

Can't wait for the next update! Soon please!!! :D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved that Chapter.

I think it fitted into the story well how they both said no, but I am crossing my fingers they still have a chance ^_^

It was so sad when she was watching the DVD, glad he was there for a bit of it though :wub:

Ohhh, they're back :lol:. That's good, Belle needed more friends.

Great Chapter, Update soon pleasee :)

Chapter 11

“Aden wait!” she exclaimed as he reached for the door handle.

“I don’t know if I can do this”

“He’s four, he doesn’t bite” Aden smiled as he looked directly into her eyes and affectionately pushed a stray strand of hair out of her eyes. He’d never seen her so nervous and he found it quite endearing.

“Well except that one time, but he was only two and it was Geoff so who could blame him?” he chuckled.

“He bit Geoff?!”

“It was just a phase he was going through, all kids do it” he laughed again, softer this time but she could tell the memory of his son sinking his teeth into her surrogate brother was one he found hilarious.

“Yet another phase I missed huh?” she shrugged, still staring at the front door to her former home as Aden’s hand hovered over the door handle.

“Belle, you have to stop beating yourself up about this” he sighed.

“We can’t change any of that but you’re here now and to Jamie now is what matters”

“What if he hates me?”

“He’s not going to hate you” he let a small laugh escape at the mere thought.

“You don’t know that” she sighed dramatically.

“You’re his mother”

“”And he doesn’t know that”

“Look we can go in there and tell him right now if you really want that. It was your suggestion to let him get to know you first”

“I know, I meant it. I think that’s for the best. I just really want him to like me Aden”

“Belle” he whispered tenderly nudging her cheek with his fingertips.

“He hasn’t shut up about you and your amazing camera since that day on the beach. He likes you”

“Is it me he likes though or my camera?” she laughed, clutching her handbag closer to her body.

“It’s in the bag isn’t it?” he chuckled.

“Well I figured I might need it for bribery” she smiled in embarrassment.

“He’s going to love you” he whispered again his gaze flickering up and down her body before settling intently on her face.

“You look...”

“I know” she laughed remembering Geoff’s words to her less than an hour before.

“More like me and less like BTaylor.com right?”

“Well, I wouldn’t have put it like that but,,,yeah” he nodded, a small smile dancing on his lips.

“You look like you and I like it”

She smiled back up at him thankful she’d decided to stop hiding. She had been shopping earlier that day for clothes more suited to her taste than the wardrobes full on designer clothes she had been

using as camouflage for longer than she could remember. Her hair was loose, unstraightened and natural and a tiny slick of clear lip gloss was the only makeup she wore.

“It was never me Aden. I was always the same, it was just a disguise to hide behind”

“So you’re not hiding anymore?” he asked, looking down at her through his long eyelashes.

“It’s kind of difficult to hide when you’re standing in front of someone who knows you better than you know yourself most days” she grinned and he mirrored her gestured.

“So are we going in?” he smirked.

“Because as much as I like this doorstep it wasn’t one of the reasons I bought the house”

“I know that” she smiled up at him.

“I was there remember? You wanted this house because of the games room and I wanted it because of how big the master bedroom was”

“I liked the bedroom too” he grinned cheekily.

“I remember it well” she smiled seductively.

“Although it wasn’t just the bedroom we christened was it?”

“Belle” he suddenly became serious and the tension between them returned as they struggled to stick by their decision not to be together, not to do this. As much as they both felt it was the right thing to

do they were beginning to realise that it wouldn’t be the easiest.

Without another word he flung the door open and stepped into the house. She followed him hesitantly as he called out first Nicole’s name and then his son’s.

“Daddy’s home!” an excited, high pitched voice met their ears as the small boy bundled down the stairs in a whirl.

“Hey! Careful on those stairs Little Jefferies!” Aden exclaimed as his son reached him and he scooped him up in his arms. The four year old wrapped his arms around his father’s neck and Aden placed a

tender kiss on his son’s forehead.

Belle felt her heart swell with love as she watched them intently from her position in the doorway. Her son and his father.

“How was nursery?”

“Good! We did finger painting and sing a long songs and it was mac and cheese at lunch!” the four year old replied, licking his lips which were full and pale pink just like his father’s.

“Jamie! You didn’t tell me that!” Nicole exclaimed, poking her head out of the kitchen door.

“You didn’t ask” the small boy replied sheepishly, looking at his father with a guilty glint in his eye.

“Let me guess” Aden chuckled.

“You’re making mac and cheese for dinner?”

“It’s ok! I like mac and cheese!” Jamie insisted rubbing his tummy.

“We know you do!” Aden laughed, nuzzling into his son’s neck with the tip of his nose, causing him to giggle.

“But you’re going to have to start eating more veggies!” Aden ordered. His son, small and slender, clearly got his fast metabolism and huge appetite from his mother.

“But veggies are yuk!” Jamie protested his tongue poking out of his mouth as he made a gagging motion. Aden laughed and struggled to object given that he didn’t really like veggies himself.

“They’re good for you” he insisted getting around having to admit his own dislike for them.

“Mac and cheese is good for me! It makes me happy. Veggies make me sad!”

Aden couldn’t help but let a chuckle escape as he realised this was an argument he was never going to win.

“Hey Just Belle!” Jamie suddenly exclaimed as he caught sight of her over Aden’s shoulder. Aden twisted his body around so they were both facing her and she cautiously moved further into the house.

“Hey Jamie” she smiled nervously.

“Is Just Belle staying for dinner?” he asked his father.

“Her name’s Belle Jamie, not Just Belle. And I don’t know why don’t you ask her?”

“Do you like mac and cheese Belle?” he smiled sweetly at her.

“I love it” she grinned.

“Good because it’s all Aunt Nicole can make! And even then it’s usually a little burnt!”

“I heard that!” Nicole’s voice called out from the kitchen and Jamie instantly put a hand to his mouth.

“Ooops!” he giggled softly as Belle and Aden laughed.

Aden lowered his son to the ground and affectionately ruffled his golden hair.

“Belle came to see you Jamie. Why don’t you talk to her and I’ll be in the kitchen helping Nicole with dinner”

“Ok” the four year old replied without hesitation as Belle shot Aden a look with her eyes that cried out “Don’t leave me”.

“You’ll be fine” he mouthed before disappearing through the kitchen door.

“I brought my camera!” she announced immediately, desperate for something to say to the little boy gazing up at her.

“Cool!” he exclaimed his eyes lighting up.

“Can I have a go?”

“Of course, that’s why I brought it” she replied as she pulled the camera from her bag and handed it to him. His fingers brushed hers gently and she felt a shiver of emotion run through her. She longed

to hold him and kiss him the way Aden had earlier but knew that it would be a long time until she could, if she ever could.

“Do you remember what to do?”

“Look through here and press here!” he replied his eyes never looking away from the machine in his hands as he simplified how to use the camera.

“What do you want to take a photo of?” she asked as he grabbed her hand and pulled her into the kitchen. His touch shocked and yet comforted her at the same time.

“Daddy!? Can I take a photo of you?” his small voice rang out as Aden’s eyes wandered to where Jamie’s hand clutched Belle’s and a smile began to form on his lips.

“Only if you get my best side” Aden laughed as he pretended to fluff up his hair and pout towards the camera.

“Jamie, why would you want to take a photo of your Daddy when you could take one of my pretty face?” Nicole laughed.

“Which face?” Belle sniped, the words tumbling out of her mouth before she’d had a chance to think about what she was saying.

“She only has one face silly!” Jamie rolled his eyes missing Nicole stick her tongue out at Belle.

“She’s not a monster”

“That’s debatable” Aden whispered, a wicked grin on his face.

“Ha! Ha!” Nicole gave him a menacing look.

“Do you remember what to do?” Belle quickly changed the subject, kneeling down so that she was on Jamie’s level and turning his attention back to the camera.

“Look through here” he replied holding up the camera and aiming it at Aden.

“And press here- wait!” he interrupted himself, his finger hovering over the button.

“Daddy didn’t say cheese!”

Belle giggled and glanced up at Aden.

“Say cheese Daddy” she instructed with a grin.

“Macaroni and cheese!” Aden exclaimed causing Jamie to giggle so much he almost dropped Belle’s camera. She helped him to steady it and eventually he pressed the button.

The bright flashed flared out into the room and Jamie cheered.

“Yay I did it!”

“You sure did” Belle smiled, “we’ll make a photographer out of you in no time!”

There was no stopping him after that, he ran around the house in a flurry, yanking her with him everywhere he went, taking photos of everything and everything he could. She soon realised that her

camera would run out of film long before the four year old ran out of energy.

“It’s empty!” he finally announced as they found themselves back in the lounge. She sat on the couch, exhausted as he handed the camera back to her.

“It’s not empty” she smiled.

“You just used up all the film that the photos go onto”

“Do you have more film?” he asked excitedly and she was very grateful for the fact that she didn’t. Four year olds were exhausting.

“Not with me, but I’ll bring more next time. And I will develop your photos so you can keep them would you like that?”

“Yes please!” he beamed as he climbed up onto the sofa next to her.

“Where do you live Belle?” he asked, leaning his body forward as he tucked his short legs beneath him.

“I used to live in America”

“’Merica! Do you know Mickey Mouse?” he questioned excitedly.

“No” she shook her head biting back the giggles.

“I lived in a different part of America to Mickey”

“Ok” he nodded accepting her explanation.

“What about Spongebob?”

“Spongebob lives under the sea!” she laughed grateful for her knowledge of cartoons, be it slightly limited

“I didn’t live under the sea”

“No because then you wouldn’t be able to breathe!”

“That’s right. Someone’s a clever boy” she grinned down at him.

“Me!” he announced proudly pointing to his chest with an outstretched finger.

“Belle, are you going back to ‘Merica soon?”

“No. I live here again now” she smiled.

“Good” he grinned.

“I’d miss you if you went back to Merica”

She felt her heart skip a beat at the sweetness in his words.

“You just want me for my camera!” she teased daring to reach out and tickle him. He giggled and squirmed until she finally let him go.

“I like your camera” he shrugged in a gesture that was so Adenesque she wanted to reach out and hug him.

“But I like you too”

“Jamie” Aden interrupted.

“Dinner’s ready, go and wash your hands”

“Ok Daddy” he obeyed and ran up the stairs as Aden shouted a warning to be careful.

“I told you it would be ok” he smiled when Jamie was finally out of earshot.

“Belle!” Jamie called out, suddenly appearing at the top of the stairs and leaning his tiny body over the banister.

“Jamie!” Both Belle and Aden called out in unison.

“Don’t hang over the banister, you might fall and hurt yourself” she told him softly as he stepped backwards onto the landing.

“Sorry” he mumbled sheepishly.

“Just be careful mate” Aden ordered.

“I will be, I just wanted to tell Belle that she needs to wash her hands too!”

“Do I?” Belle smiled.

“Yep” he nodded adamantly his blond hair bobbing as he did so.

“Hands get nasty germs on them and if you don’t wash them you might get a poorly tummy”

.”I better wash them then hadn’t I?” she smiled beginning to follow her son upstairs. Half way up she glanced back at Aden to find him grinning at the scene before him.

“I still can’t believe you ate that” Aden laughed at his son as they entered the lounge.

“It’s always burnt when Aunt Nicole makes it!” the four year old exclaimed.

“You get used to it”

“It wasn’t that bad!” Nicole protested as Aden and Belle shared a knowing glance and burst out laughing.

“Jamie” Aden ordered.

“It’s bedtime, say goodnight to Belle and Nicole”

“But Daddy!”

“No buts”

“But I’m not tired!”

“You will be in the morning if you don’t go to bed now and we all know you’re a little grump when you’re tired” Aden looked at his son knowingly.

“Will you read me a story?”

“If you’ve got your pjs on, brushed your teeth and picked out a book in 5 minutes then yes”

“Deal!” the young boy exclaimed rushing towards the stairs.

“Where’s my goodnight kiss young man?” Nicole teased.

“Geez Aunt Nicole!” he sighed as he trailed back towards her and placed a kiss on her cheek.

“The clock’s ticking!”

“Goodnight Jamie” Nicole laughed.

“Night” he whispered before turning to Belle and before she could register his actions he had looped his arms around her and placed a soft peck on her cheek.

“Night night Belle” he whispered before beginning to ascend the stairs. Her hand instantly covered the point where his lips had pressed against her cheek and she fought the urge to let her tears escape.

“Daddy?” Jamie asked from halfway up the staircase.

“Yes?”

“I want Belle to read to me”

“5 minutes” Belle smiled glancing at her watch as Jamie’s little face lit up with joy and he raced up the stairs.

“Oh my god” Nicole exclaimed as both she and Aden gazed at Belle.

“What?”

“Jamie never lets anyone read to him but Aden. Never

“Seriously?”

“He loves you, I told you that you had nothing to worry about”

Belle silently pondered what all this meant and began to wonder if things could actually work out as Aden went outside to help Nicole fix Sophie into her car seat so she could drive home.

“Belle I’m ready!” she heard her son call to her and minutes later she was sitting down on the bed he was already tucked up in, his hair already slightly tousled as he snuggled up in his Mickey Mouse pjs.

“Did you pick a book?”

“This one, it’s my favouritest!” he announced handing her a big book with detailed pictures but few words. She opened it up and began to read.

“Wait! You’re doing it wrong!” he interrupted.

“There’s a wrong way to read?” she laughed perplexed.

“No silly! You’re reading right but you have to put your arm around me, that’s what Daddy does”

“Oh right” she murmured as he inched forward a little to allow her to slip her right arm around his back.

He snuggled into her body and she began to read again, enjoying the closeness and familiarity as he giggled at the pictures and together they picked out objects mentioned in the text.

As she neared the end of the book she noticed his eyelids begin to droop, his long eyelashes fluttering slowly, and before she reached the final page he was fast asleep. His head fell against her and his

arm rested on her waist. His tiny hand grasped at the thin material of her dress and his bee stung lips fell open slightly, gentle huffs of breath occasionally escaping from him.

Cautiously so as not to wake him she placed the book on the bedside table before pulling the cover further around him to ensure he was warm enough. She lay still except for her fingertips gently

rubbing his hair as she watched him intently, pride and love threatening to overcome her.

“Hey” Aden whispered as he entered the room and perched on the edge of the bed.

Belle sighed as they both gazed at their son.

“He’s...he’s....perfection” she finally settled on the right word.

“I love him so much I feel like I’m going to explode Aden”

“I know how that feels” he smiled at her words having worried for so long that she would never say those words about their son.

“I could stay here forever and just watch him”

“I’d let you” Aden grinned mischeviously.

“But he’s not used to waking up with random women in his bed and it might freak him out. Give him 15 years or so”

“He’s sure going to be a heartbreaker” she smiled, running her fingertips gently over her son’s face.

“I don’t know how to do this Aden” she suddenly blurted out, anxiety apparent in her voice.

“I don’t know how to be a mother! I put so much energy into convincing you to let me see him and now you have, I don’t know what I’m meant to do. I don’t know how to be his mother and he deserves

so much better than that. He deserves everything”

“Calm down” Aden whispered soothingly.

“Belle, you’re already his mother. You spent the past 3 hours being his mother and you did a great job. He loves you. I didn’t know how to be a father but it comes and you learn from just being there.

You’re not alone, I’m going to be there too”

“Promise?”

“Promise” he nodded manouevering his body so he sat on the opposite of the bed. Tenderly he looped an arm around Jamie’s waist before resting his head against Belle’s and placing a gentle kiss on her shoulder.

“Aden” she sighed.

“Please don’t. Don’t do this. It just makes me want more”

“Can’t we just pretend?” he gazed up at her.

“Just for five minutes, can’t we just pretend that we can have it all?”

“Five minutes is never going to be enough though”

“No it’s not” he shook his head sadly.

“But if it’s all we can have then I’d rather have that than nothing at all”

“Ok” she whispered, nodding quietly and for the next five minutes they lay in silence, wrapped together, entwined by their love. The family that barely was and never would be.

That was an amazing chapter, seriously :)

I love Jamie, he is the cutest. The way he still called Belle, 'Just Belle'. And she got to read him a bedtime story!

It was so sweet but sad at the end, when they pretended to be a family. Don't pretend!! Be one, I wish it was simple *sighs* haha :lol:

Great Chapter. More sooon please? :)

I think I want myself a Jamie. :wub:

Brilliant chapter once again. I loved Belle's fears and nervousness, and how at the end she was worried that she didn't know how to be a mother, yet all throughout that chapter she was just a great mother.

That bit on the staircase where Jamie lent over and Belle and Aden yelled at him at the same time to be careful was my favorite. I dunno why, but it just shows that they're on the same level at some times, even though Aden's had 4 years of practice of being a parent.

The ending was so bittersweet. I really hope that they can make it work somehow.

Can't wait for more.

xoxo

that was amazing i cant complain

“Ok” she whispered, nodding quietly and for the next five minutes they lay in silence, wrapped together, entwined by their love. The family that barely was and never would be.

the way it is written seems as they may never be a family at all.... which i wouldn't like because i think that tey would be the most amazing family...

i think belle would make a brilliant mum she just needs to learn how....

i really cant wait for more

x

Archived