Home & Away star reveals

Guest Di

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/stor...5001021,00.html

Bobby Morley's Home and Away used me as a 'meat puppet' rage

SUMMER Bay locals are unlikely to welcome Bobby Morley back to their sandy beaches any time soon after the former Home & Away star revealed he was treated as a "meat puppet" on the show.

He also described the Channel 7 soapie as a "machine that can chew you up and spit you out".

The 23-year-old spent two years as bad boy Drew Curtis on Seven's series and now stars in Nine's Gold Coast-based cop show The Strip.

"It's nice to be in a show (The Strip) where it's not based on taking your shirt off," he said.

"That was one thing that got me down (in Home & Away).

"If that's all I am - a meat puppet - then I don't know that I want to keep doing it."

Morley said at the end of his stint on the soap he felt so dejected that he didn't care whether he ever acted again.

"I knew I had to get out. It wasn't a good place to be in. Home & Away is a great place to learn, but it's a machine and it can chew people up and spit them out," he said. "I stepped out not really caring whether I had another job."

The former soap stud said his high profile on the show also took its toll on his relationship with co-star Jessica Tovey, with the pair splitting in March this year.

"I think we were naive and thought it would be nice and playful," Morley said.

The one-time Cleo bachelor of the year nominee said he is single at the moment and would have doubts about taking any of his relationships public.

"I'm trying not to get anything in the public eye like that," he said. "I'm not with anyone."

Despite his experience on Seven's long-running soap, Morley said that he was happy that it did not dissuade him from further pursing an acting career.

"I've got a little bit of a career going and I don't want to lose it.

"I never really cared about it before now."

:angry: Jeez, some peeeps are never gratefull. Are they... He should be thankful...he got an acting job to begin with... He's so up himslef imo :ph34r:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa, bitter much?! Seriously, that definitely was sort of rude. It's one thing if it's not your thing, but when it seems like nobody else from the cast or crew has anything bad to say about working on H&A for Seven... Well, I'm not one to judge, but to be honest it just sort of makes me think it has more to do with him than the show.

I'm enjoying him in The Strip, I enjoyed him in Scorched, and I enjoyed him as Drew, even when he had his shirt on. I'm not angry at him for saying this, at least he's being honest about how he feels. I can't imagine it would have been easy working so closely with Jess if their relationship was troubled either. I can see why he would have hated it and why that would make him bitter about things that most other actors just shrug off. He sounds to me like a sensitive, honest guy, and I'm just sad for him that he felt that way for so long. I'm glad he's happy doing what he's doing now because he's very good at it. Like Rhys Wakefield, he's been given the opportunity to prove himself to his H&A critics by going on to better, more satisfying roles. Which is not to say that The Strip is better than H&A (it really isn't) or that Drew didn't have his moments. I can think of several Drew scenes that I'd rate amongst the best acting I've seen on H&A. I hope he realises that it wasn't a complete waste of time. If it wasn't for H&A, I doubt he'd have gotten the roles he has now, and he should know that he did do some very good acting as Drew, even if the opportunities for substantial drama were few and far between with him. He probably didn't mean this to be such a controversial statement, he was probably just saying how he felt.

FYI, the scenes I'm thinking of are:

- When he heard Peter get "shot" and he was wandering down the road in a daze

- When he ran Dom over and was panicking about it

- When Lisa died and he was trying to cover his tracks and deny any responsibility - it was obviously an unpopular choice, but I thought he played it so well

- The final break up fight with Belle

Writing those out as his greatest moments, it's clearer why he wouldn't be thrilled about his time on H&A. Drew was not a likeable character, and if Bobby was oversensitive about the harsh things people will say about an actor when they hate a character, then I can see why it would upset him and make him question whether a career in acting was worth the hatred from total strangers judging him on a role he played on a TV show, or worse, judging his relationship with his girlfriend based on an onscreen relationship between two fictional characters, and feeling like his only defenders were teenage girls who found him "hot." That would absolutely suck! If you look at the characters he's played since - a hero fire-fighter and a wise-cracking cop - then it's obvious that he'd be happier playing safer roles where people will tend to like him more than they'll tend to hate him. I think a couple more years in the industry will teach him not to get so wrapped up in what other people think, and he'll be a lot happier for it. I hope so anyway.

:o Without H&A I bet he wouldn't even have been considerd for 'the strip'

I dont understand- If you go to any beach town nearly all the guys walk around shirtless. The show are just trying to be realstic. I know that they have their shirts off quite often but its not that bad. As Todd said in a previous interveiw, they ask him to do it but sometimes he says no cause it wouldn't be appropiate for the scene, Its not compulsery. I do think that he would have known when he signed up for H&A that that would happen.

He shouldn't blame H&A for the breakdown of his and Jess's relationship. Yes it must have been really difficult to work in a situation like that but they just have to get on with it. Other actors seem to mange working together if they are working on a show together.

Knowone else seems to have put down H&A, I think he should be greatful for the opportuintys H&A has given him.

saying all that he was a brilliant actor in the show, and should continue with his acting as he is very good!

This has made me really dislike him now! Maybe he should have just kept it to him self. He would be nowhere without home and away if you ask me. Hes on a new show, i would have thought that he would want to be making new fans and keeping his old fans aswell, but i guess not with something like this. He should have left what is in the past and just moved on instead of bring it up again. It just shows me that he is a very low and ungrateful person.. in my opinon. :angry2:

Sorry guys who don't agree. :o

Archived