Vegetarians

Guest jenlee

Mods: I searched but was unable to find another thread for this topic, but if there is, feel free to close this one :)

So how many of you are vegetarians? I don't personally know anyone else who is so I thought we could use this thread to post recipes, discuss reasons or just chat about life as a non-meat eater. :unsure:

Personally I stopped eating meat because of the whole 'dead animal' thing. I'm a big animal lover and hearing about some of the things they do to kill the cows, sheep etc put me off meat in a big way. I've had relapses lol, but I'm at the stage where I have stopped eating again.

What about you guys?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to be a vegetarian, but I simply cannot give up meat! I eat a lot of organic meat though, which makes me feel a little better about myself. :P

One of my friends is vegetarian, but because she's also lactose intolerant, she's more vegan. I feel bad for her when our group goes out to dinner, but she copes fine. :)

Humans have canine teeth, so we're designed to eat meat, therefore I don't feel bad for doing it. However, I do agree that the ways in which animals are bred, kept, and killed can be inhumane and I do think that's wrong. If I was a stronger person I'd boycott meat unless I knew exactly where it came from and that the animals were treated humanely. Unfortunately, I'm not that strong. I like meat so I eat it. I actually had a conversation with someone who raised cattle from calves and then watched them get slaughtered. It didn't disturb me as much as I thought it would. I think of all commonly eaten animals, cows in Australia probably have the best life and easiest death. Apparently someone prays for them as they die too so that they can be eaten by Muslims, which I think is kind of cool.

I got nothing against vegetarians, I just don't happen to be one. And I don't mean to offend or upset anyone by posting in here if omnivores aren't welcome :unsure:

I am a meat eater, like Jem said, we were made to eat meat

I don't agree with that: it's an advertising slogan. The thing is we are able to make a choice. Perhaps if slaughterhouses had glass walls and were located in the middle of shopping malls then the choice would be so much easier.

Jenlee, I'm a vegan and have been for three years now. I was a vegetarian for a few years until I did a lot of research into the dairy industry only to find it was just as cruel, perhaps even worse in some ways, as the meat industry.

Apart from the cruelty and immoral use of animals for food, raising animals is a factor in the ecological disaster facing our planet.

One day I would like to think that future generations will look back in disgust at meat-eating the way we do now at medieval torture, slavery, female mutilation etc.

I would like to cut red meat out of my diet, but I need the iron, so I guess I can't. And there is no way I'm taking Iron supplements... they make me ill.

I did try and it lasted about one week. The parents weren't exactly supportive. :P

I am a meat eater, like Jem said, we were made to eat meat

I don't agree with that: it's an advertising slogan. The thing is we are able to make a choice. Perhaps if slaughterhouses had glass walls and were located in the middle of shopping malls then the choice would be so much easier.

Jenlee, I'm a vegan and have been for three years now. I was a vegetarian for a few years until I did a lot of research into the dairy industry only to find it was just as cruel, perhaps even worse in some ways, as the meat industry.

Apart from the cruelty and immoral use of animals for food, raising animals is a factor in the ecological disaster facing our planet.

One day I would like to think that future generations will look back in disgust at meat-eating the way we do now at medieval torture, slavery, female mutilation etc.

I am sorry if I offended you but I do believe that and that is one of the reasons I eat meat.

I've been a vegetarian for 8 years! and in that time i've never had the slightest craving for meat - my friends think im wierd and that i'd soon change my mind if i had a bacon butty, somehow doubt it though

It does make me laugh whenever i tell people im vegie cos they just look at you as if you have 2 heads or something, or that you need sectioning for treatment :D

I am sorry if I offended you but I do believe that and that is one of the reasons I eat meat.

Oh, Zetti, you didn't offend me and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. Over the past couple of years in Australia, there's been a big advertising campaign by the Meat & Livestock Corporation featuring New Zealand actor Sam Neill. The campaign slogan is 'we were made to eat meat'.

Archived