Vegetarians

Guest jenlee

I do eat meat but it's always free range and organic. My great friends live on a farm so if we have lamb it comes from there. Other than that I'm not a huge fan of red meat anyway and my chickens are always free range :D

I am completely against veal and foie gras and obviously maltreating of animals raised for slaughter, eg battery farming. But all in all, I don't feel that it's cruel to eat meat. As long as their existence is happy I'm sure being killed quickly is less painful that growing old and getting diseases etc.

I don't think I'm really making sense here! All I can say is that any animal rights activist would probably have a panic attack if they stepped foot in Morocco.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do eat meat but it's always free range and organic. My great friends live on a farm so if we have lamb it comes from there. Other than that I'm not a huge fan of red meat anyway and my chickens are always free range :D

I am completely against veal and foie gras and obviously maltreating of animals raised for slaughter, eg battery farming. But all in all, I don't feel that it's cruel to eat meat. As long as their existence is happy I'm sure being killed quickly is less painful that growing old and getting diseases etc.

I don't think I'm really making sense here! All I can say is that any animal rights activist would probably have a panic attack if they stepped foot in Morocco.

Yep, the making of Foie Gras is dire. Don't they hang the duck/goose upside-down and force the food into their liver or something? It's quite disgusting really. :mellow:

As I said before, I can't cut red meat out of my diet, so I guess I'm stuck with eating it. :P

I have been a vego for almost 3 years now. I have found a lot of people to be very supportive of my decisions, the only real issue I have had in the past are, if someone buys pizza from a chain store there is the risk of contamination and I often get sick because of it.

... All I can say is that any animal rights activist would probably have a panic attack if they stepped foot in Morocco.

The dog meat industry in Korea and China is right up there too. That is the stuff of real nightmares.

If people do really believe that eating meat is the right thing to do, then they shouldn't have any problem watching the video called 'Meet Your Meat' to realise meat doesn't just appear in plastic wrapped packets at the supermarket:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2273569508770398194

... All I can say is that any animal rights activist would probably have a panic attack if they stepped foot in Morocco.

The dog meat industry in Korea and China is right up there too. That is the stuff of real nightmares.

If people do really believe that eating meat is the right thing to do, then they shouldn't have any problem watching the video called 'Meet Your Meat' to realise meat doesn't just appear in plastic wrapped packets at the supermarket:

Well, thanks for ruining my childhood. :mellow:

I don't think it's a choice between right or wrong. I think it's like or dislike. Some people were born liking meat. Some people were born hating it. I guess it's the way humans work. And I guess animals are the same. Cats are like humans. They taunt their prey. Attack, watch prey try to escape, attack again, watch them try to escape, attack again etc.

As disturbing as that video is, some of us don't have the choice of going vegetarian :(. I fully support vegetarianism and vegan-ism, btw. My aunt and my sister are both vegetarian. And I know loads of other people who are also vegetarian.

Maybe I could find some iron supplement which doesn't give me a stabbing pain in my stomach and which doesn't bring my stomach to my throat... then I could lay off the red meat as I'm not the biggest fan of it :unsure:

Edit: Alexei, LOL @ your avatar! The smiley face is awesome! :lol:

Maybe I could find some iron supplement which doesn't give me a stabbing pain in my stomach ...

Cal, my teenage daughter has been a vegetarian for three years now. Like many teenagers, and despite my best efforts, most of her diet is made up junk food like pizzas (mostly homemade thankfully), chips and Coke. Getting her to eat vegetables and fruit is like WWIII most of the time. She doesn't take any vitamin supplements.

Anyway, the point of all that is, is that last week she had blood tests and iron, B12 (the only vitamin vegans can't get from their diet) etc. were all perfectly normal. By the way B12 is added to many veg*n products such as some soy milk brands.

I realise some people do have low iron levels for various reasons, I do think the need for vitamin supplements is a product of the vitamin industry.

Edit: Alexei, LOL @ your avatar! The smiley face is awesome! :lol:

Thanks, Cal, I will you send you a copy of the smiley face if you want it.

Edit: here it is: 124.gif

Cheers.

It was actually that video and some bad KFC that got me to stop eating meat in the first place.

Archived