Family Connections

Guest whispered_envy

I recently found out that my great great great (I don't know how many great's it is) grandfather owned and managed the first Cadbury chocolate factory in Australia (in Tassie), but then he SOLD it! :blink: I could have been the heiress to the Cadbury fortune! :P

And another one of my very distant relatives was the first overlander who crossed the Murray-Darling from NSW to Victoria. How exciting. :P

Anybody else have distant, yet famous relations?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm related to the aussie olympic swimmer Tracey Wickham (she recently just lost her daughter to cancer.) Apparently she's a long distant cousin. And a great great great great grandfather of mine was one of the last men to ever catch a Tasmanian Tiger.

There's a slight possibility that the former US President Jimmy Carter is a very very distant relation, his Carter ancestors came from the same part of Hertfordshire as my Carters....

Other than that I've traced my family tree back to the 1600's and the only other one of interest is someone who was sent to Oz as a convict and ended up buried down the road from the church they use in H&A....small world.... :P

Haha, this thread is fun!

Well, it's not really anything major, but my mom's cousin used to play for one of the best football teams in Norway. He's really nice btw :P

I actually can't think of anything more than that... I'm sure there is something, but I think my dad (he's a published author btw, but not really famous at all even though he has published like five books or something :P) knows more about these things than I do, as his main hobby is investigating family history :P

I know about some of my friends' famous relations though, one of my closest friends' grandmother is Renee Zelwegger's aunt or something (the same girl is also neighbours with the Norwegian minister of justice and police), and my other friend's boyfriend is the brother of a pretty famous Norwegian soap actor.

I'm not from Hertfordshire personally, but some of my Ancestors are from just outside Hatfield and a couple dotted around the Hemel Hempstead area - some of Jimmy Carter's ancestors were apparently from Kings Langley, just outside Hemel Hempstead - its down on one of the many things to research one day anyway, we're not holding our breath though :P

Archived