Lisbon Treaty Rejected * PASSED ON 2ND OCTOBER 2009*

Guest Cal

Agreed. I'm sick of hearing stupid people, on both sides of the argument, going on and on about irrelivant or untrue "facts".

The thing I hate the most is people saying, oh yeah I'm going to vote no just to screw the government over. As so many of the no campaigners keep telling us, people died to give us the right to vote, and to think that people aren't even thinking about their vote is just incredible.

I keep saying to people, if you don't understand it, or can't come to a decision either way, then don't vote. Whichever way this vote goes, I'd be happy if I knew that everyone that voted, did so because they really believed in the way they were voting.

The one thing this whole bloody situation has done is show us up. The governent and the opositions campaigns both times have been so bad. I sometimes wonder if they even understand what they're talking about.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I'm sick of hearing stupid people, on both sides of the argument, going on and on about irrelivant or untrue "facts".

The thing I hate the most is people saying, oh yeah I'm going to vote no just to screw the government over. As so many of the no campaigners keep telling us, people died to give us the right to vote, and to think that people aren't even thinking about their vote is just incredible.

I keep saying to people, if you don't understand it, or can't come to a decision either way, then don't vote. Whichever way this vote goes, I'd be happy if I knew that everyone that voted, did so because they really believed in the way they were voting.

The one thing this whole bloody situation has done is show us up. The governent and the opositions campaigns both times have been so bad. I sometimes wonder if they even understand what they're talking about.

I agree... again. :P The politicians ramming the Treaty down our throats haven't actually read it. The only campaign I like is Labour's. I know it's a Yes campaign, but it's informative and sensible. It doesn't promise anything like the other campaigns. They say ratifying Lisbon might help our economy. Might doesn't mean will, which is what FF and FG are saying: "Ratifying Lisbon will create jobs and help recovery". I am a Labour supporter and kudos to them for having a good campaign. It seems they're the only ones who know what they're talking about.

"Ireland shouldn't be able to decide the fate of half a billion people" is a popular line. Their fate is decided regardless of a Yes or No vote. Not everybody in Europe wants this Treaty. That was made quite clear when the French and Dutch rejected it, and how the UK would have rejected it if they had the chance. Feelings about the Treaty in Germany are mixed, and many people in the Nordic countries want Lisbon scrapped. So I think the entire continent of Europe is actually torn. If they want the EU to be more democratic then give the other 26 states the chance to vote on it. If it's passed, then fine. If it's not, then I hope the other concerns are addressed. :)

I'm still undecided. Really must get around to reading about it!

I'm beginning to wish it had been passed first time, it would make this EU Constitutional law lecture I'm in right now a lot easier!

Your best bet would be to download the Treaty and read some of it. Don't read Yes or No websites because they distort the facts. :P:)

If the Treaty does get voted for, which I think it will, then the only hope I have left would be for Ségolène Royal to be elected president of France. :(

I have a feeling it'll be another no vote.

We should count ourselves lucky we get a say in it. I haven't looked into what other countries think, but assuming you have, it seems quite a few governments just passed it without any care for what the people wanted.

Like I said though, the only reason we're getting a vote is because we have to change a part of our constitution.

We're definitely lucky. But a lot of political parties in Europe promised a referendum on the Treaty if they were elected. They were elected, but didn't give the vote to the people like they promised. If the people were given their referendum and it was ratified by the people of Europe then I'd be happy to see it go through. But the fact that people were told they could vote and then have it taken away from them really doesn't give me much confidence because the Government's were obviously expecting major backlash from the people over Lisbon. :(

It's only 6 days until we know the answer. I don't mind if it's passed, but I don't want people turning around and complaining about something in a few years time when they were warned about it. It happened with Nice. People kept complaining about "them lads in Brussels" years after it was ratified and I kept saying "You voted for it to be that way!" :lol:

Archived