Lisbon Treaty Rejected * PASSED ON 2ND OCTOBER 2009*

Guest Cal

From Rte.ie (LINK)

It seems certain that Irish voters have rejected the Lisbon Treaty.

With results in from 10 of the 43 constituencies, the Lisbon Treaty is being beaten by a margin of 53.6% to 46.4%.

That margin is expected to tighten as more results are announced, but the result is not in doubt.

Waterford was the first constituency to declare an official result - and it was unequivocal, rejecting Lisbon by 54-46.

With a turnout in the mid-40s, this morning's tallies showed the strength of the No vote across the country, with just a handful of constituencies looking like they would vote Yes.

The margin of victory for the No side may be a bit tighter than was suggested in the initial tallies - but there seems little doubt that it is a victory.

The No vote was strong in many rural areas and in working class districts of cities, while middle class areas appeared to be less supportive of the treaty than had been anticipated.

In urban areas, middle class areas by and large appeared to have voted in favour of the treaty - but not by the normal large margin, and not by enough to counteract the large No in working class areas.

Each constituency is counting its own votes separately, before sending the result to the Referendum Returning Officer in Dublin Castle, who will announce the overall result.

Turnout is thought to have been higher than in the first Nice Referendum, which was defeated, but lower than in the second, which was passed.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite glad it has been rejected. The government forcing a Yes vote into our faces whenever possible tends to turn people in the other direction. I hated the sound of the laws being the same in every single EU country. Our commissioner being dumped for years wasn't good either. And our Neutrality being at stake also was a major factor.

I find it highly bizarre that Europe is considered a democracy, yet only ONE country held a democratic referendum. France ratified the treaty even though there was a strong opposition. Germany also ratified it with strong NO support.

I hate the attitude that the European people have. They seem to think that we owe Europe. Yes, they gave us money. But we don't HAVE TO agree with every single thing they say. We become an EU Donor in a few years. This means that we pay the money back that we were given. So no, we don't have to agree. :P

You see what this does to me? Huh? I get all political and nervous and narky. Grr.

PS. I can't wait for the threats from France! :P

I think the biggest problem is that people don't actually know what the EU is all about. It's there, and it does great things for countries but people don't see that, and don't hear about it. The only things that people know are the negatives. So I think the first thing they should do is explain how the EU works, and what it does for the people.

I have always been a fan of the EU, because coming from a small country that has little meaning in this world, it has been a real blessing for us. But I have to admit that it does seem to go in a direction I don't applaud. It's getting too big, and it takes too long to take decisions.

I have always been a fan of the EU, because coming from a small country that has little meaning in this world, it has been a real blessing for us. But I have to admit that it does seem to go in a direction I don't applaud. It's getting too big, and it takes too long to take decisions.

I totally agree on that. Ireland had been isolated for a very long time and the EU helped us to be more involved in Europe. I guess it was the same for Belgium and the way one of the regions was in Industrial Decline, it did need help... just like us.

But the EU is getting VERY big and I think they should slow down a bit. I don't think there was any need for the Lisbon Treaty. There was nothing wrong with the way things were going. Like they say, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

It all went downhill in 2004 when 10 countries became a member of the EU. When there were only 15 countries it was much easier to make decisions, but with 27 countries it's way too difficult. And on top of that some of the newer countries think they are all that *coughpolandcough*.

And if Croatia, Macedonia and Turkey become a member it'll become even more complicated.

They really need to think where they want to go, and how they want to get there, because there is no vision at the moment.

I can see a number of countries withdrawing from the EU pretty soon if things don't improve. Greenland was once in the EEC, weren't they? I know they aren't a country, but they still withdrew.

I wouldn't mind Croatia joining. But the thought of Turkey joining is just ridiculous. Armenia and Georgia also want to become members. Seriously, the EU should be for Europe and Europe only. I may seem a bit narrow-minded when I say that, but why don't we get China to join as well while we're are at it? :rolleyes:

After studying the EU as part of my HND Business I can't say I either hate it or like it but I think things like the CAP need to be reformed desperately. What angered me the most was the gram/pound argument though. i hate that they tried to force us to go to metric. if i want to go into my local sweet shop and ask for a quarter I bloody well will

Pfft. It now looks like Europe will go ahead without us. Nice to know that are vote was pointless. If that was France who rejected it, it wouldn't have been a problem. :rolleyes: I hate being from such a small country. You're just shoved to the side so easily.

Screw Europe. I hate you all. :P

Archived