USB pen drives/External Hard drives

Guest I Love Mark Furze

My space on my cpmputer's getting a bit low, i was wondeing new if usb flash drives may hold videos, music and pictures or would purchasing an external hard drive be more beneficial? I think if i went for the second option i may also need to get a usb bus cause i think all my ports in my computer are full, i have 6 ports and an 80GB hard drive, my computer will be 5 years old in August. It still runs very well, i have excellent anti-virus/adaware/spyware protection.

I have a 320 GB external hard drive, because my laptop was just soooooo clogged up, and it's fantastic. I've completely forgotten how much it cost, but it was definitely worth whatever I payed for it. USB flash drives and external hard drives are quite different. A USB flashdrive is basically a little USB storage stick, whereas a hard drive can hold a lot more and is a bit like a brick in terms of size. If you're prepared to spend a bit more I'd say go for the external hard drive. I guess it depends on how much storage space you need and how much money you're prepared to spend. If you need, say, 100GB worth of storage, you'd have to go for the hard drive option as a flashdrive wouldn't hold anywhere near that amount. However, if you just want to store a few videos and some pictures, you could probably make do with a flashdrive.

I hope that's of some help :unsure:...

Yeah... what she said. :P

It really depends what you want to hold - a couple of videos and pictures? USB flashdrive, they're cheaper butr don't hold as much. However, if you want to hold a few hundred GBs the External Hard drive - I have a 384GB one, it's great.

If it's storage place you need definatly go with the external hard drive. A USB flashdrive is great if you want to put things on it and than take it with you to use at another computer but they fill up pretty quickly. The biggest one I have is 16GB and it does not take that long to fill that up.

I have a 500Gb external hard drive that I use to back up all my movies and photos. It is set up so that it automatically backs up each day. I think it cost me $375 Aus.

It would save me if I had a hard disk crash.

I had to upgrade to a 1TB external hard drive last week, despite already having about 800GB scattered around various other external hard drives.....

As others have said, it all depends on what you need it for - you can pick up a 4GB USB Stick for £15 now, whereas external hard drives are also very reasonably priced now - you can get a 3.5" 500GB Hard Drive for about £60.

Though that wouldn't be as portable as a 2.5" which tend to be a little pricier. But if you're not planning on moving it around with you then 3.5" is fine.

It's mainly video - the source files for my documentary alone took up 50GB....

The joys of working in the Media.

Plus I need a lot of space for BTTB now, each episode I capture takes up 4GB initially before conversion

Archived