What did Sally do?

Guest Foxy

In another thread, people have discussed that the majority of Sally clips used in montages are from the 80's/early 90's or from post-2000 ish and this set me to thinking about what key Sally moments from her 'middle years' should be included.....and then I realised that actually, aside from "she had relationships with Jack and Tim' I really have no idea what she got up to in those periods.

If anyone would care to share any Sally memories from this period, I'd be most greatful, as it seems so strange that I've forgotten such a large chunk of her history!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In another thread, people have discussed that the majority of Sally clips used in montages are from the 80's/early 90's or from post-2000 ish and this set me to thinking about what key Sally moments from her 'middle years' should be included.....and then I realised that actually, aside from "she had relationships with Jack and Tim' I really have no idea what she got up to in those periods.

If anyone would care to share any Sally memories from this period, I'd be most greatful, as it seems so strange that I've forgotten such a large chunk of her history!

Hmm, very little really as I recall. We just saw her grow up in general I think, but nothing remarkable that I remember.

We generally saw her grow up, but she had a lot of depth to the character, she spent most of her teenage years either doing nothing and hating herself for it, and going from one looser boyfriend to another, which made her hate herself even more. She was very jealous of Shannon, and wanted to be like her because she felt Shannon was 'perfect', had the best guys, intelligent and pretty, all of which Sally didn't think she was. She was bullied by a guy she fancied, who told her she was 'the ugliest dog in the school and he wouldn't be seen dead with her', which as you can image gave her an enormous amount of confidence. She also felt 'out of the group'' so to speak, and didn't feel popular enough.

She spent a lot of the time trying to keep a family unit together with Pippa, and was passionate about feeling secure and safe, due to all the loss in her life, not unlike today.

She actually did quite a lot, but her story lines were obviously spaced out months apart, I think thats what makes her so real. In the mean time, between storylines she really didnt do that much - but that fact, was always very much apart of the character, and what lead to her self hate story arch that went on over a good few years. And carried on threw to the OCD later in life. Her story lines were always the more 'real'. However there were some more ''out there'' storylines you can find them on the Summer Bay Journal site.

One of the most memorable '90s storylines was when Shannon and Selina took her out on a raft to cheer her up and it came apart and Sally got separated from the others.We didn't see her for nearly a week before we found out a mentally disabled man called Jamie was keeping her in a log cabin but she had a high fever and couldn't get him to understand how ill she was.When he finally worked it out and went into town to find Pippa, he couldn't get anyone to understand him and they ended up scaring him off.Finally Steven worked out where she was and got her to hospital in what was literally the last time he did before leaving the Bay for the...second time.(Which led to a nice bit of dialogue a decade or so later when Steven was part of the group that found Sally after the sesquecentenary shipwreck."See you next time you need rescuing,"he comments as he says goodbye."Yeah, it's becoming a bit of a habit,"she conceeded wryly.)

And Heath Ledger, of course.Was really weird seeing those clips just four days beforehand.

One of the most memorable '90s storylines was when Shannon and Selina took her out on a raft to cheer her up and it came apart and Sally got separated from the others.We didn't see her for nearly a week before we found out a mentally disabled man called Jamie was keeping her in a log cabin but she had a high fever and couldn't get him to understand how ill she was.When he finally worked it out and went into town to find Pippa, he couldn't get anyone to understand him and they ended up scaring him off.Finally Steven worked out where she was and got her to hospital in what was literally the last time he did before leaving the Bay for the...second time.(Which led to a nice bit of dialogue a decade or so later when Steven was part of the group that found Sally after the sesquecentenary shipwreck."See you next time you need rescuing,"he comments as he says goodbye."Yeah, it's becoming a bit of a habit,"she conceeded wryly.)

And Heath Ledger, of course.Was really weird seeing those clips just four days beforehand.

I remember that storyline! Well kind of, I was very young at the time so I remember very little of it. I wasn't sure if it had actually happened. Any idea what year it would have been?

Sally wasn't the central character in the 90s, she was just one of the teenagers, like Mattie, Ric, Belle etc. are now. It was when they needed the latest Pippa (live in the caravan park and foster kids) role that she became so central.

Worryingly, I can't remember what some characters did two years ago, I can't remember my own life but I remember just about everything Sally did in the last fifteen years.I could probably write an article.In fact I did(take a look at Wikipedia if they haven't deleted it).When I first started watching circa 1991 local time she seemed to still be listed in the "cute kid" category and overshadowed by older characters like Fin and Sophie.First thing I remember her doing is getting drunk in some party on the beach.(Although being Sal she was the most subdued drunk you've ever seen.)She was the only member of the family present bar Michael and Pippa when Dale was declared dead(very well acted by Kate)and she had a nice moment when she talked Alf into forgiving Adam for Bobby's death.Once they started giving her storylines, as best as I can remember and in vague chronological order...

Developed a crush on Damian, leading to embarassment for them both.

Freaked out over Christmas dinner when Michael and Pippa separated then ran away from home and disappeared for several months.(I suspect Kate Ritchie was in pantomime.)

Asked out Joe(played by the boy that played Ivar Kants' son in Escape from Jupiter)and was routinely humiliated by him.

Went out with Gus.Turned out to be a loser.Dumped him.

Went out with Nelson.He got burnt and effectively dumped her.

Went out with Jack.Turned into a loser.Dumped him.

Campaigned for a democractically elected school council then no-one voted for her.

Got shipwrecked(not for the last time), developed a fever and nearly died(not for the last time).See above:it would have been about '95, '96.

Met a man who thought she was the reincarnation of her daughter and died saving her.(Sounds incredibly ridiculous but it was actually rather poignant.)

Went out with Tim.Sort of cheated on him with Scott(loser, kinda mutual dumping).Tim also turned out to be a loser so she dumped him.

Whinged to Pippa about not getting the house when she left.

Went out with Sean(oddly described elsewhere as her "slightly" older boyfriend, despite a 20-year age difference and him having a teenage daughter barely younger than her).Cheated on her, dumped him.

Went out with Vinnie, which actually lasted quite a while until she sort of cheated on him with a classmate then they split up.

Got engaged to Kieran.Turned out to be a loser.Dumped him.

Got engaged to Luke.Forgot who he was.Dumped him.

After which she got involved with Flynn(after the OCD-oh and the deathly dull hostage episode)and people started noticing her.

i remember when she got put in that cabin too, and when michael died, i just remember her and pippa on the sofa crying loads. Also when she was really young and with her black and white dog in the opening titles. I cant really remember much else either really, she was always just there really until she was made a real central character when pippa left.

Wow alot of boyfriends.. lol

So does that mean Martha could be the next Sally? :P

She was also most likely involved in all the disasters and dramas too in some way.. I remember a cyclone in 1996 and they all had to go to the school to escape it. plus the earthquake etc..

I feel obliged to point out that Sally didn't actually sleep with all of them...

I can remember her breaking down at Michael's funeral-she was doing a reading and I think Shannon had to go and help her out.(Weirdly, I think Cassie did the same thing at Flynn's funeral.)

Archived