Coronation Street

Di

Well, Tracy getting her conviction quashed means the chances of us getting rid of her soon are somewhat reduced.Wasn't entirely happy about the way Claire fled the country, it seemed ridiculously premature, they didn't even bother consulting a lawyer and seeing whether she was actually facing jail or not.But seeing as how Tracy was lying about what happened to get her into trouble, when at most she deserved a caution for assault, I can't say I mind.The police gave up a bit easily:If they'd stuck around a few minutes they'd have caught the real getaway car.

I'm glad Peter seems to have given Leanne a second chance.She was an idiot to go near Nick but she does seem to genuinely regret it.Peter confronting and humiliating Nick was rather fun to watch in a sadistic sort of way:I'll assume the "If you hadn't saved my life, I'd kill you" was a bluff.The weasel deserved it after everything he's done recently.Even at the end he was handing Peter the bottle, so Peter playing along and then throwing it at him was very satisfying.

Thought for a moment that maybe Kevin and Sally were going to do the right thing by Sophie but they just messed up again.Although I do think she doesn't really know what she wants.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Liz was pretty brutal to Becky last week. I'm not condoning what' Becky's done but Liz does treat her as though she's rubbish. I remember a few years ago when Steve was going out with Karen and Liz said something along the lines of "The low grade slapper that you are" and Steve stood there with his mouth open in absolute shock. Does Liz ever like any of Steve's girlfriends? To be fair to Liz though the way Becky acts sometimes she does give Liz good reason to have a downer on her. Anyway I still thought it was Liz's attitude which caused Becky to relapse. In saying that I found certain parts of Monday's episodes hilarious. I had no idea Becky was that strong (Or was it simply that David is really weak?). Shame we didn't get to see what he looked like after being smacked in the face. I don't normally condone violence but have to admit that I did enjoy that whole scene from the moment Becky pushed passed Gail into her house until she got turfed out. I thought it was a good touch leaving the her blood smeared across her face for the duration of the episode. It made the relapse seem more believable.

I like the way Corrie tries to inject humour into the episodes every now and then. An example of this last week was when Kevin and Sally were arguing in the hospital about Sophie after Sunita put her foot in it accidentally by mentioning that she spoke to Kevin about Sophie (just before Sophie went off and fell from the roof). In the background you could see Sunita quietly sneaking off (whilst Kevin and Sally were still arguing), leaving the room then a few seconds later she came back realising that she taken the flowers she'd brought for Sophie with her (still all in the background of course and still with Kevin and Sally at loggerheads).

Liz and Becky is practically a "Pray it goes the distance" bit, I'm not finding I like either of them or, perhaps more accurately, I'm finding my sympathies switching back and forth, probably depending on the writer.I feel sorry for Steve stuck between them, especially with Tracy smirking on the sidelines.(Currently hoping she and Frank end up killing each other, it's another of those "At least the rest of the human race is safe now" relationships.)And Jim turning up unexpectedly made me cheer. So I guess that's thumbs up to the McDonald men and thumbs down to the McDonald women.

Kevin was incredibly dumb trying to have his cake and eat it, if he hadn't tried to talk Sally into taking him back she'd have signed the divorce papers and he'd be in the clear.Despite that, I still hope Sally doesn't get her hands on the money, I was a bit disappointed that he relented and gave her the house.

Janice leaving...was a bit strange and random and I found I didn't really care that much, which is odd given how long she's been around.I seem to remember a few years back a producer decided to axe her then he was replaced and the new guy decided to keep her around.Not sure if she's actually done anything since.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought the double wedding and bank robbery episodes were really good. As a person I don’t particularly like Kylie, the ONLY reason she’s marrying David is because he’s due to inherit the salon but I loved the way Nick and Gail thought their plan had worked (paying Kylie a thousand pounds to not go to her own wedding) and Kylie turned up at the very last minute. I found it really funny when she stood up and made the speech in the Rovers thanking Gail for paying for her wedding dress and forking out for her and David’s honeymoon. I also really liked the way she cosyed up to Gail, hugged her then gave her a kiss on the cheek. The best thing about it is seeing Gail’s sour faced/face like a wet weekend expressions. Really surprised Audrey’s being so supportive of the newlyweds. Almost as though she’s not worried at all about Kylie’s motives.

I haven’t liked the way Tina got Graeme to marry Xin as it seemed selfish in one respect but Norris was really annoying me the way he took the moral high ground. TBH it is really none of his business. Didn’t agree with Tina and Graeme using the present Emily bought them though. Rita’s attitude is completely understandable.

I’ve always liked Jim and am glad he’s back but have to say although he was pretty desperate to buy the Rover’s for Liz what he did was unbelievably stupid. He didn’t even plan the robbery properly, make any real attempt to disguise himself, have a sufficient getaway route or backup plan. Also he’s got a really distinctive voice. Now it looks like it’s over between him and Liz before it’s even started.

Bringing Tommy Duckworth back seemed a very odd idea when I first heard about it but they've actually handled it well and made it seem quite believable.Aside from the odd continuity where he and Tyrone act as though they've never met before when...they have.Okay, Tommy was only a little boy at the time but he would have been old enough to remember and Tyrone certainly was.Tyrone was out of line leaving Kevin to do all the work, being a partner doesn't mean you can sit back and do whatever you like.It's reached the point where Kevin and Sally are as bad as each other but I still hope she doesn't get the money.

Monday's episode with the bank robbery was magnificently tense.Even though what Jim did was unquestionably wrong, I still found myself sympathising with him, even when he was punching the have-a-go hero.I really didn't know whether he was going to get out alive or whether he was going to shoot himself or get shot by the police.I'm glad that Steve and Liz seem to have taken the attitude that he's an idiot who deserves to go to jail but they still love him and are going to stand by him.The echoing voices before Liz left, with the little snatches of Alec and Bet, were rather unCorrie-like but worked all the same.

Not sure about Chesney and Katy.I didn't mind them moving in together, although they seem to be struggling a lot more than I thought, they really need a regular wage, not twenty quid a day down the market.But having a baby together is sheer insanity when they're still in their teens, haven't been going out that long and can barely support themselves.But I still like them so I kind of hope they work things out somehow.

Can kind of see both sides of Maria and Carla's disagreement although I'm mainly on Maria's side. From her point of view, Frank assaulted her:She had the choice to take it further, decided to give it up for the sake of keeping the factory in business but is now finding that harder to deal with than she thought it would be.I can see that Carla supported her at the time and now wants to move on and keep the business going and I can understand that but she was wrong to make out Maria was asking for it, even if she did apologise afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody else really grow to like John and 'the Stape family' and just wanted everything to be forgotten and for them to live happily ever after?

Yep! I like them all and I wanted a happy ending but its a soap and it wont happen..

I just wanted it all to be forgotten, which I don't often find when the character has been responsible (indirect or otherwise) for three deaths. I think Corrie has written it well, because I genuinely feel sympathy for John - plus I really want Fiz to be happy!

I think when John hit Charlotte over the head with a hammer that was it:Up until that point, he might have got away with it but under the rules of the show he has to pay for that one.At the moment, I'm kind of worried about the fact that Charlotte's father isn't played by John Woodvine anymore and hoping he's all right...

I either hadn't heard that Eddie was leaving or I had but I'd forgotten because it came as a complete surprise to me.It wasn't until he was having big goodbye scenes with Anna and Gary that I suddenly thought "Hang on, he's really going, isn't he?"Be interesting to see how the family, and Anna adopting Faye, works out without him.

Nice to see Violet in the Easter Sunday episode, I was thinking the whole plotline of Sean getting back in touch with Dylan was going to play out without her.I always knew running off with Jamie was a bad move so it's nice to be proved right.Shame that after a promising start she lapsed back into her "You were just a sperm donor" attitude which is a blatant lie.

I can see Xin getting a bit of a backlash but I rather like her and I think her and Graeme are rather cute together.Can't believe they got away with the "Chinese takeaway" joke.As some commentators have said,

with Graeme leaving it seems likely he'll either leave with Xin or get found out and go to jail, and the former is definitely preferable

.Not sure about Tommy, he seems a bit too cocky and stealing Mary's motor home, as it's implied he did, was crossing a line.When Becky was mouthing off to Tina about Graeme and Xin, did anyone else feel like pointing out that she and Steve did the same thing to Michelle?

That cab office scene between Steve and Lloyd was a comedy masterpiece, escalating the ridiculousness of the situation to Lloyd's brilliant punchline "A woman has died!"And then almost topping it when Steve claims the fictitious Mrs.Horowitz is 82 and Betty Television's Oldest Barmaid retorts "She's a spring chicken."