Coronation Street

Di

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad Sophie and Sian are back in it as well.They make a sweet couple.It'll be interesting to see the reaction when everyone finds out.Kevin will probably do his block, Sian's dad definitely will.Sally might pretend she's all right with it to show how sophisticated she is while quietly panicking inside.

I've been finding this storyline with John really irritating and Charlotte even more irritating.But that last episode wasn't as bad as I thought it would be as it suddenly morphs into this weird black comedy with some genuinely amusing moments(Charlotte holding the body's hand instead of John's...).Given that John didn't actually kill Colin by any reasonable stretch of the imagination, he might actually get away with this.Although I've a feeling I'll go back to being bored by the whole thing next week.

Not really warming to Owen who comes across as domineering.I'd say I don't know why Liz is getting hot and bothered about him, except Liz is an idiot so I do.Why exactly did no-one apart from Sophie realise they were drinking alcohol?I can understand Roy not being able to tell but Fiz?

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I guess David and Tina's tusssle wasn't all the spoilers made it out to be.I'm not even sure it qualified as sexual assault, he basically just tried to kiss her.It was a nice moment though when she asked him if he was going to rape her and he suddenly realised he'd gone too far.

Although I wasn't too keen on her attitude towards Leanne, I did basically like Natasha and she deserved better than she got from the Tilsleys.She's better off without Nick though and I'm glad she got a more-or-less happy ending.Glad Gail got punished for her actions as well.

The current storyline with Jack is being done nicely and is true to the character.I guess killing him off is their only option and given how long he's been on the show he deserves something special.Loved Sally's genuine "Oh, that's all right then" on finding out Tyrone had gone to a lap dancing club,

Really don't know what we're supposed to think of Owen.He reminds me a bit of Dougie Ferguson in that the writers don't seem to know whether to make him a broadly sympathetic character or an out and out villain.I can't see anything to like about him but then every now and then you get a little scene like that one with Izzy where we're apparently supposed to think he has his good points.

The scene of Owen visiting John and mentioning his name in every sentence was ridiculous.I can talk to people for hours without calling them by their name.Although the scenes that followed, with Brian trying to get his head around John's latest tall tale, were rather funny, especially his "Is Fiz really Fiz?"

Every so often I try and get into watching Coronation Street since its such a long running soap and I always read positive things about it on sites...etc I thought I'd download a couple of episodes a few nights ago and it featured Jack telling his son (in law?) that he was going to die. I thought the acting was very realistic and natural from all concerned throughout the entire episode actually not just that storyline, I pretty much forgot it was actors in a studio and set.

To me, its the sort of show that will take a bit of getting used to becuase to be honest I do tend to miss some of the phrases and colloquialisms which sort of takes me back from being able to fully engage in the 'tone' of the show, as in it feels very specific to that part of the UK, which is part of the charm and popularity I'm guessing. I'm going to download more episodes, I want to follow this Jack storyline until the end at least. I noticed the pace seems a bit different to when I last watched an episode, more...'sharp' as in as soon as they stop talking it flicks to the next scene rather than having a sort of establishing shot if you get me. It also feels more 'busy'.

Edited by alexx

• 4 weeks later...

I thought Jack's last two episodes were really good, aside from the much-vaunted appearance by Vera, which just felt very out of place in a show that's normally quite naturalistic.The actors seemed awkward with it and sadly Liz Dawn looked as though she'd just wandered onto the set in her own clothes and with her own hairstyle, she didn't really look like Vera.Other than that, I like the way they've been giving Jack screen time with a lot of the long-serving characters to kind of reinforce the history, he's been given a couple of nice scenes with Betty reminiscing over the past these last few weeks.It was fitting that Ken, the grandaddy of the show, was the last character to acknowledge him, with that silent toast as he left the Rovers.Connie and Tyrone's reactions when they came back to the house and found his body were spot on and well played by the actors.

Ironic to think that Kevin's now replaced him as the second longest-serving male character:They almost seemed to acknowledge it a couple of times, especially when Sally asked him if he was planning on being like Jack.I guess 27 years is a long time in soap terms-longer than Neighbours and Home and Away have been around, longer than EastEnders, longer than all but one of the current Emmerdale cast-but given some of the Corrie cast have been there nearly 50 years and Kevin was part of that first generation of adult characters who were younger than the show itself, he seems a bit too much of a newbie.

Sophie and Sian are kissing and the vicar walks in...His reaction is sadly all too believable but at least they made him someone who was trying to be even-handed, even if he wasn't very good at it, rather than a ranting bigot.And the suggestion that all Christians are homophobes was at least partly balanced by Sian's brilliant riposte "God got it wrong and He'd be the first to admit it."(It was only St. Paul who wrote all that stuff anyway.Everyone knows he was a stick in the mud.)

I thought Jack's last two episodes were really good, aside from the much-vaunted appearance by Vera, which just felt very out of place in a show that's normally quite naturalistic.The actors seemed awkward with it and sadly Liz Dawn looked as though she'd just wandered onto the set in her own clothes and with her own hairstyle, she didn't really look like Vera.Other than that, I like the way they've been giving Jack screen time with a lot of the long-serving characters to kind of reinforce the history, he's been given a couple of nice scenes with Betty reminiscing over the past these last few weeks.It was fitting that Ken, the grandaddy of the show, was the last character to acknowledge him, with that silent toast as he left the Rovers.Connie and Tyrone's reactions when they came back to the house and found his body were spot on and well played by the actors.

Ironic to think that Kevin's now replaced him as the second longest-serving male character:They almost seemed to acknowledge it a couple of times, especially when Sally asked him if he was planning on being like Jack.I guess 27 years is a long time in soap terms-longer than Neighbours and Home and Away have been around, longer than EastEnders, longer than all but one of the current Emmerdale cast-but given some of the Corrie cast have been there nearly 50 years and Kevin was part of that first generation of adult characters who were younger than the show itself, he seems a bit too much of a newbie.

I watched it last night as well and you despite as you saw the Vera-appearance feeling out of place, I also felt that there was something very human about two older people living in the same street and then dying a couple of years apart etc, and when I thought back through what soaps I've seen, it did feel pretty unique in the case and it did hit home in some ways about getting old.

I thought the Jack stuff was really well done, obviously I have no idea about the references to past cast and such but the way the scenes were written made me feel very welcome and I like that the show has such a rich history and they are obviously very proud of that.

I was initially going to just carry on watching until Jack's death but I've grown quite fond of it, its got a very 'cosy' feel. That may be because there are so few scenes that take place outside of that little street and the shops around the corner. But I've enjoyed the warm, poignant moments very much. I also like how screen time seems to be equally shared, older characters and younger alike.

There are lots of characters with huge flaws, which really makes them seem very human and I think that is a great thing, they are not all likable. I've particularly taken a dislike to the store owner who seems rather obnoxious and rude though he hasn't featured much in the time I've been watching and just in general some people I've thought are likable characters can come up with quite bitchy and two faced remarks - but then redeem themselves come the end of the week so I'm not quite sure how to take them.

The show reminds me of 80's Neighbours in some ways...