I Hope You Dance

Guest dolly-999

Chapter number 31. Regret

The next morning:

Roo opened her eyes slowly, taking in a deap breath of air before noticing her souroundings, she panicked with the realisation of where she really was, beside her lay Brett sound asleep. The sheets of the bed covered the lower part of his body so that his bare chest could been seen.

Kicking the covers away she got up, pacing a bit before finding her jeans, top and underwear that were scattered on the floor along with Brett's clothes. 'I'm such an idiot' Roo told herself, she'd let her gard down, and now she was paying for it, how come someone she'd swarn she'd never be with again could make her give in like that? It just wasn't fair. The last tweny years she'd convinced herself that if she was ever in a situation with Brett like that that she had the will power to leave him, and now tweny years of building that up had been waisted.

Dressing herself, she searched around for her bag, leaving Brett's room and making her way out to the lounge room where her hand bag was sitting on the table. Then taking it she rummaged around it until she found what she was looking for, her bottle of morning after pills. In some ways she'd seen this coming, maybe that's why she'd given in so easily, cause she'd planned what to do if it happened. Would she of resisted if she hadn't? When she'd first come back to Australia for her visit she'd snuck out to the chemist to get some pills, she knew there was still chemestry between her and Brett, and she could bare being a mother of yet another Macklin baby, not that she didn't love Martha, she really did, but she couldn't put herself in a situation where she was left with the bagage and Brett had the option of cutting ties with her and yet again leaving her to deal with things.

She walked quietly into the kitchen, finding a glass and filling it with water before putting the small pill in her mouth and swallowing it down with water. She tipped the rest of the water down the sink, leaving the glass on the bench.

No words could describe how stupid she felt right then, she felt stupid for giving in, she felt stupid for coming to the hotel room in the first place the night before, but most of all she felt stupid because she actually thought over the last few years that her and Brett could just be friends, well obviously she was wrong.

Nummly she made her way back down the short hallway to Brett's room, moving towards the bed and sitting on the edge. Brett was still asleep, his chest rising and falling slowly with each breath. She knew why she fell for him, he was a ladies man, good looks, charming, and knew exactly how to get a girl into bed.

“Brett” she spoke, her eyes fixed on his body. “Brett?” she tried again, this time louder. She got no answer, after all these years he still slept like a brick, a train could run throught the room and he wouldn't notice.

Standing up she took a pillow in her hand and through it at him, “gosh why do you get to sleep while I'm stressing?” she yelled, still not getting any response. Sighing, she turned towards the door, she had to get out of there.

Brett's eyes suddenly flickered, his arm reached out to the empty space next to him and then he realised she was gone again. He sat up quickly, looking around the room, and then he spotted her, he could see her through the door she was walking through the lounge room; leaving.

His heart sank as he watched her walk out of the hotel, not once looking back at him.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

“Morning beautiful” Jack smiled as he came into the kitchen to see Sam already up and making breakfast. When she'd gotten back yesterday, Jack had insisted that she and Rory stayed with him again, and she couldn't refuse.

“Morning you” she grinned as she felt two strong arms wrap around her and a light kiss being placed on her cheek. She'd missed so many little things like that when she was away, things that she'd started to take for granted when she thought that Shane wouldn't find her easily in Summer bay. But now she'd promised herself that she would appreciate the small things, everyday was a gift.

“How'd you sleep?” Jack asked, taking a coffee mug out of the cupboard and putting a teaspoon of coffee in it before pouring some of the jug of hotwater that was already out alon with some milk.

“Really well, it's so good to be back here with you” she sighed.

“I'm glad your back too” he whispered in her ear. He placed his cup of coffe back on the bench and moved his hands so thy were back on her waist, kissing her lightly on the head.

Sam closed her eyes, resting her head on Jack's chest, it was good to be home at last, she'd missed this place like crazy.

To be honest, when she left Summer bay she thought she'd never get the chance to come back, but it was all ok now, everything was as it should have been long ago. Shane was dead, she didn't really care how it happened, all that mattered was that he was and she'd seen his body herself to make sure the police were telling the truth.

“Promise me you won't take off like that again” Jack said. He knew she had nothing to run from now, but it was something he needed to say anyway.

“I promise”.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

As Roo entered Martha's appartment she held her head in shame, making sure to keep quiet. When it was clear that the place was still as silent as she'd left it the night before she poked her head in Martha's room.

Roo sighed in relief when she found Martha still sleeping like a baby, the less people she had to explain last night to the better, right then all she wanted to do was forget it, so taking the oportunity she grabbed her towel and headed to the bathroom, maybe a long hot shower would clear her head.

Please review

Next time:

-Jack finally cracks, :P

-Lara and Pete get a few things straight.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, poor Roo. She's really regretting it, isn't she?

Sam <_< Just go away!!

Hmm, Jack cracks? Well, I hope he cracks in the sense that he can no longer deny his feelings for Martha and has to admit them to her :P That would be prefect :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Great chapter :)

Poor Roo!

And Jack and Sam = <_<

Cant wait for Jack to crack though :P

Hopefully he explodes and yells at Sam, then runs around to Martha's where they talk, then argue, whilst the tension builds up and they both become so riled up that their emotions take hold and they fling themselves into each others arms and give into temptation :D

Me likey that idea ^^ :D

Looking forward to more

• 3 weeks later...

^^ lol well we'll just see.

Hey guys sorry it's been so long since I last updated, I've been pretty busy, and unmotivated. But hopefully I'll get the chance to write more soon.

Warning: May contain sexual references and/or course language.

Chapter number 32. Solomon

Lara woke the next morning to find herself in Peter's arms, still in the hamock they'd fallen asleep in the previous night, she sighed as she looked up to find him already awake and watching her. “Morning sleepy head” he grinned at her.

“Morning”. She was so happy right then, the distance between them in the last week had been torcher.

“How'd you sleep?” Pete asked, running the back of his fingers along her soft cheek and looking down at the woman who lay on his bare chest.

“Pretty good considering you were snoring half the night” she teased.

“Hey come on I don't really snore” Pete defended himself. “Anyway, we better get up and moving”.

“But it's our day off” she winged.

“Exactly, no point spending it here doing nothing, what do you say we go for a picnic?” Pete suggested, it was a beautiful day for it.

“I'd say, it's the best thing you've said all morning”.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Sam strolled her way into the diner dragging her feet one after the other, unable to remove the permanent smile plastered on her face, right now nothing could bring her down. She had the perfect man back in her life, he ex-husband was dead and her and Rory were finally safe.

She'd missed this place so much, there was something different about Summer bay that made her feel a peace with her past.

“Morning love” Irene smiled when she noticed a familiar face standing at the counter, “when did you get back?”

“Oh just yesterday” Sam told her, “I still can't believe I'm really here”.

“Yeah well it's good to see you back around, I bet Jack's happy about that” Irene rambled on, not noticing Martha stumbling down the stairs listening to the whole thing. “I remember how cut up he was just after you left, poor guy couldn't seem to come to terms with the whole thing” she sighed, “not that you did have a good reason for taking off, we all know little Rory's safety was important”.

“Yeah, but Shane's dead now so we won't be going anywhere any time soon” Sam explained.

“Well that's good to hear, just sad someone had to die for that to happen” .

“Yeah I guess so” Sam nodded, she hated it when people came up with lines like that in her mind Shane desurved to be dead, there was nothing sad about him dieing. But then again they didn't have the kind of hate for him that she did, they didn't have a son to watch out for the way she had.

“Anyway, don't mind my rambling, what can i get for you dear?”

“Um just some bread rolls thanks”.

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

Martha sighed before stepping out from the stair case that lead from her apartment to the kitchen of the diner, she'd waited till Sam had gone before doing so, she couldn't even bare the thought of being in the same room as the woman at the moment. After the conversation she'd just hear Irene having with Sam she needed air all of a sudden, it was like just hearing about ack being happy with another woman at the moment was to much to take.

Quickly she made her way past Irene and out the door before anyone could stop her to say hi. All she needed right now was a good walk up the beach.

Brett finally managed to lift himself out of bed. It had been an hour since she left him lying there, but it felt like forever.

He'd wished he'd gone after her when he'd woken up, tried to talk her round, but he couldn't force her to stay, it was her choice to leave, and that's what she'd done. His mind was numb, things were going around his head like circles, nothing made sense right then. He didn't understand how someone he loved and cared about so much could use him for casual sex and then just leave. He was sure he'd heard her cry as she left out the door, but now he didn't know if that crying was reality or what he wanted to hear, he wanted to hear that she hadn't wanted to leave, that he ment more to her than just a hook up buddy.

Still half in another world, Brett looked into the mirror as he walked into the bathroom, and all that looked back at him was a lonely man.

“How did you amnage to get yourself into this mess mate” Jack sighed, taking yet another step up the hill as he made his way thought the long grass, “Two women, I mean is it really posible to be really in love with more than one person” he continued out loud to himself as he made his way along.

“Or is there no such thing as love, I mean Solomon had sevenhundred wives and he was a happy king, I mean maybe he figured it out, God made him the wisest man on earth, so maybe he was smart enough to realise that Love was a cleshe that ment 'marry me and have sex'” he shrugged as he came to his destination on the top of the cliffs that looked out over the ocean.

“Then really that would mean that really I don't love Sam, and I don't love Martha” He came to the conclusion, but he knew they were only words.

“Or maybe, he did love all seven hundred of his wives”. Taking a seat on a rock Jack took in a breath of the salty air. He was slowly sending himself insane, and talking to himself sudenly seemed so natural, almost like he was the only person on earth and he was his only company.

“I mean that would explain why so many people have affairs, cause they love more than one person and can't make up their bloody minds!” he yelled, throwing a shell as hard as he could over the edge and straight into the water.

“Mate what are you talking about it's not like you can make up your mind either, I meen you might as well be having an affair” Jack sighed, like he hadn't even yelled at himself two seconds earlier. “I mean, what's the point ofloving two people and only ever thinking about it?” But now Jack really had confused himself, he might as well have been drunk cause he was sure acting like it.

An hour later:

Jack downed the last few mouthfulls of beer left in the last bottle of the stuff a random drunk had with him when he'd come across Jack on top of the cliffs. Wife troubles; that's all the guy had told him before offering him a beer and making himself comfortable next to Jack.

“So” Jack finally spoke once he'd carelessly tossed the glass bottle aside with a few others. “What'd your wife say you did?”

“Everything” the guy chuckeled, he was well and truly pissed. “Aparently I'm posessive”.

“She nagging a lot?” Jack nodded along.

“Yeah, when she's around and when she's not doing one of her run aways. You seen he round?”

“What's she she look like”.

“Well..... she's...” the guy puzzled, before shrugging it off, “Who gives a stuff”.

“That memorable hey?” Jack laughed.

“Yeah chicks mate, who really guets anything about them” the guy commented before picking himself up, looking at all the empty battles of beer and making his way back to where ever he cmae from.

Net time:

-Jack's drunk, who does he come across that's just a tad worried about him?

-How does Peter and Lara's picknic go?

Please review.

drunk Jack makes me giggle :lol:

Sam can die

Poor Martha. Maybe she sees Jack, and takes him back to her apartment to sober him up, but he kisses her and they well, you know, do they naughty naughty :P

Great chapter

Jack talking to himself though? He is insane :lol:

MOre please

I think Jacks rambling might lead him into something positive...

Like an affair perhaps :ph34r:

Ordinarily I wouldnt go with that, but desperate times call for desperate measures! And when you're dating Sam, you are desperate :P

Great chapter, I liked the longness aswell :D

Please update soon :)

Warning: may contain some sexual references.

Chapter number 33. Pink Elephants

Jack stumbled his way along back towards civilisation, down the hill and back onto a concrete path, he felt so light and dissy, and the world circled around in the sky, yeap this was the life, no thoughts, no momories, just Jack and everything as far as they eye could see and imagine, he was ontop of the world, and nobody, not even mother nature it's self, could bring him down from where he was right then.

“Rory, come on” Sam yelled from in the kitchen as she grabbed her bag ready to leave, “Rory if you don't hurry up we'll never make it down to the school before lunch”.

“Yeah mum I'm coming” Rory groaned, (the old rory, not the new one). “Anyway what's the rush to get re-enrolled anyway, we've only been here for a day” he winged as he come into the lounge room, “besides if we do that it'll be one step closer to us moving again”.

“Rory, I already told you, we're not going anywhere this time” Sam re asured her son, sitting down so that she was down to his level. “We're here for good” she smiled.

“Yeah but how do you know that for sure, I mean since when have we ever been able to stay anywhere for long?”

“This time it's different sweety, you just have to trust me ok?” she told him, getting back up and grabbing his hand.

“Ok” Rory nodded, still not completely convinved, but if staying in summer bay ment living with Jack, he was prepaired to try and believe what his mum had just said.

“How about here?” Pete suggested as they came to a spot next to a river under some trees.

“Perfect” Lara smiled, it was such a beautiful day today, and unlike the majority of Summer bay's residents, she was extremely happy today.

Taking the blanket that was folded in her arms Lara placed it on the ground and spread it out before Pete placed the picknic basket on it.

“So chef what's on the menu today?” Lara asked cheekily.

By the time Brett finally got the courage to leave the hotel room it was one in the afternoon. He didn't quite know what happened to all the hours that had gone past, all that had been in his mind was the same questions. 'Did she really want last night to hppen?' 'Was she after meaningless sex?' He didn't really know the answer to any of these questions, he wish he did.

He now found himself climbing up the stairs beside the diner to the side door of his daughter's apartment, he didn't know what he was going to say yet, if he was going to cry or wheather anyone else was home, but he had to do this, if not to settle things then to give him some of his sanity back.

He only hoped that Peter wasn't there with her, he could only imagine how fast the guy would bash him into the wall. By now Roo had probably already told the guy about last night and made him out to be the same guy he was when they were teenagers, surely she wouldn't of left it she didn't thinkg that.

Nock, nock. He waited for an answer, “Hello?” Brett called out, “Roo?”

Still no answer.

“Come on Roo, if your in there could we please talk”.

A creaking noise could be heard and the door opend slightly, Ruth standing there in fromt of him. “What do you want Brett” she asked, tears running down her face, which only lead to him starting to cry again.

“I want to talk” he told her, “I want to know what's going on between us”.

Nodding slightly she let him in.

“I'm stuffed” Lara sighed, flopping over so she was rested on Pete's stomatch.

“But we haven't even had desert yet”.

Lara didn't answer, she just closed her eyes and enjoyed the peace that was between them, she was in her mind the luckiest woman alive.

“Lara” Pete whispered.

Looking up slowly, Lara opened her eyes, “Yes?”

“You know I love you right?”

“Of course I do” she smiled, “And I love you too”.

Jack sat on a park bench at the bottom of the hill that lead up to the cliffs, it was a quiet spot with nobody around, perfect for Jack, right then he was too drunk to really regester if anyone was around.

“One pink elephant balancing, step by step on a piece of string” he sang out lound, it was a song he'd learned back when he was in pre-school. “And oh he thought it was such a wonderful thing so he called for another, ele-ph-ant”. Thw whole world was a blurr, infact, he didn't quite know if he was still on earth anymore, he fell as light as a feather, everything continued to fade away.

“Two pink elephants balancing, step by step on a piece of string, and oh he thought it was such a wonderful thing so he called for another, ele-ph-ant!”

“Why did you leave this morning Roo?” Brett begged to know the answer, “I thought last night ment something”.

Silently, Roo sat down, not looking back at Brett, she couldn't believe he was turning this on her.

“Say something... please”.

It was a few seconds before Roo got the right words together to say, to be honest she really didn't want to say anything to him, but she knew she had to. “When I woke up this morning Brett, and I found you next to me... I- I panicked, and all I could think about was that day we both got hammered and ended up in the back seat of your car”.

“Roo-”.

“No Brett, let me talk” she persisted as he took a seat next to her. “I know that you've changed, I really do know that so please don't tell me it again. But I can't let myself go back there, regardless of if you've changed or not”.

Brett again when to say something, but Roo stopped him.

“I can't go back there, not for you, not for anyone”.

With that Brett stood back up, placed a kiss on the top of Ruth's head and walked out.

“Eleven pink elephant's balancing, step by step on a piece of string, and oh he thought it was such a wonderful thing so he called for another, ele-ph-ant!”

“Ring, Ring”

“Hello Peter baker speaking” Pete answered his mobile. He ran his fingers throught Lara's hair who was asleep on his chest. She was so beautiful laying there, well he thought so anyway.

“But boss it's my day off and-” Pete protested, the McGarph was presuring him to crack a major case at the moment and now they'd supposedly had new evidence. “Can't you get someone rostered on to check it out?..... Yeah I know things are tight, but”.

“Alright, alraight I'll be there” he groaned, hanging up before even saying goodbye.

Looking down ar Lara he kissed her on the cheek o wake her up, “Sorry did I fall asleep?”

“Yeah... your going to hate me”.

“huh?”

“The boss called”

Sitting up Lara rolled her eyes, he'd already said enough for her to get the idea, she really couldn't wait till jolly old McGraph retired, he was really starting to get on her nerves.

“Twenty-nine pink elephant's balancing, step by step on a piece of string, and oh they thought it was such a wonderful thing so they called for another, ele-ph-ant!”

“Alright I want you to send back those files to the city, If Greg Sheldon had been around here we would of found him already, and then I want somebody to check out the complaints on the main street” McGraph finished telling a junior constable before walking into his office and closing the door before anyone else could bother him. His office, for the past few weeks had been a place where nobody except him and a few other officers had been alowed, they were working on a big case, so big that the majority of the station wasn't to know about it.

Summer bay was in trouble, and they didn't even know what from just yet.

“Fouty-five pink elephant's balancing, step by step on a piece of string and oh they thought it was such a wonderful thing so they called for another, ele-ph-ant!”

Lara walked passed the diner and further along to where not many people usually when. After Pete got called back to work she'd decided she needed a walk by herself.

About a minute went passed until she hear a voice in the distance that she recognised, “Fourty-eight pink elephant's balancing, step by step on a piece of string” the voice sang.

She couldn't help but laugh, she hadn't heard that song since she was in preschool.

“And oh they thought it was such a wonderful thing so they called for another, ele-phant!”

By now Lara could hear the voice more clearly, they sounded as if they were almost losing the plot, or drunk, or maybe ever both.

“Fourty-nine pink elephants balancing, step by step on a piece of string, and oh he thought it was such a wonderful thing so he called for another, ele-ph-ant!”

“Jack?” Lara called out, it sounded so muh like him, well she thought it did anyway, maybe a bit more unstable than he usually did, but none or the less, it sounded like him.

Still no answer.

“Fifty pink elephant balancing, step by step on a piece of string”.

“Jack” Lara gasped then she layed her eyes on a park bench with Jack lying down on the top of it singing as loud as he posibly could, running over to him she stood on the seat so that her shadow blocked the sun out of his face.

“Hey!” he pouted, “you blocked the elephants out of the sky!”

“Oh Jack, what on earth has the world done to you” she sighed, reaching over to help him sit up properly, she knew Jack was having a tought time, but she never thought he'd lose all his sanity over it.

Next time:

-Pete becomes worried about a seriously confused Ruth

-Tony and Alf begin to worry aboutJack, Martha and Roo.

-What's McGraph working on?

Note: I'll be going away camping tomorrow (October 4) till the 14th of october so there won't be any updates till then.

Please review.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived