All Or Nothing

Guest ~Amy~

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This chapter sucks, I've hit a creative wall or whatever you wanna call it. :\ Also hasn't been proof read as I forgot to send it to Emma last night, lol. So excuse the many errors.

In case I didn't make it clear Martha lives with Cal in the apartment above the diner...

Chapter 8 (4 months and only 8 chapters?!)

"Wow, who'd have thought it, eh?" Lucas grinned biting a chunk out of his apple, "Jack Holden finally grew a pair."

"Watch it," He glared at lucas. Shifting in his seat close enough to knock the apple out of his hand he continued. "I didn't grow anything, we just talked."

"I was eating that!" Lucas replied looking longlingly at the apple sitting in a pile of dust on the ground. "Trust me, Jack. If she doesn't figure it out now she never will."

"I knew I could count on you to cheer me up," He huffed.

Things with Martha seemed to get more and more complicated each time he saw her. It wasn't that he didn't want her to know, he was just afraid of her reaction. If she didn't feel the same it would totally ruin their friendship and he didn't know if he could cope without seeing and talking to her everyday. If shutting up meant she'd still be there then he'd shut up.

"Anyway, I'm gonna be late," He heard himself say.

"Oh, the retirement party. Don't stay out too late," Lucas said. Then noticing the questioning look on Jack's face he shrugged. "I worry."

As soon as Jack was out the door Lucas bent down grabbing the apple, wipping the dust off.

----

Slamming her fist down on the horn, Martha sighed in frustration.

"What did the car do to you?" Cal chuckled opening the door and sitting himself down in the passangers seat.

"Nothing," She snapped.

Cal noded his head acting convinced. "Peace offering?"

Martha raised her eyes looking at the box sitting in his hand. She looked him in the eye, trying to figure out if it was a joke or something.

"You're kidding me, right? Thats not a peace offering. A peace offering is flowers or a romantic dinner. Not bringing up something I told you I didn't want to discuss!" Feeling her anger rising Martha snatched the box out of his hand. "I told you; stop presuring me."

"And I told you, I'm not presuring you," He started snatching it back. "But when you ask someone to marry you, you kinda expect an answer."

"Cal," She warned indictating she was not in the mood.

Silence filled the car. It was an awkward one, where the only sound heard was Cal huffing, like a child who couldn't get his way.

"You don't wanna marry me," Cal said shaking his head in disbelief.

"Its not that I don't want to," She shifted her feet. "Its just... I don't wanna be married at 20. Theres so many things I want to do before all of the settling down stuff."

"But the whole point is to experience new things together," Cal said looking her in the eye. "I'm sorry" He started but was cut off.

"Look, I'm not saying never-"

Cutting Martha off Cal said "I want to get married."

"What are you saying?" Martha asked, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"I don't want to be with someone who doesn't want the same things as me,"

"Wait, so you're saying that if I don't marry you you're breaking up with me?" She asked.

"No thats not what I was saying," Cal said rolling his eyes.

"Sounds like it to me!" She snapped, "I think you should go,"

"I think thats the smartest thing I've ever heard you say," He exclaimed, pulling the door open and stepping out.

"Well consider it the last!" She yelled slaming the door.

---

"Can I get you a drink?" Jack turned his head to find himself standing face to face with Lara. Literally.

Laughing Jack took a step back. "You look... different," He concluded.

"Good different or bad?" Lara asked biting her lip.

"Good, really good." Jack grinned.

Blushing from ear to ear Lara smiled.

"Holden, can I talk to you for a minute?" McGrath interupted

"Isn't this supposed to be a party?" Jack asked changing the subject "No talk of work."

"But-"

"Get the man a drink, Fitzy" Jack grinned throwing his shoulder around McGrath.

---

"Martha, you here?" Alf's voice echohed throughtout the Fletcher household, he'd seen her car outside; she couldn't have gone far. Hanging up his fishing rod Alf called out her name again. Finding her sitting on the floor with her head in her hand he whispered. "What is it, love? Whats happened?" When she lifted her face, her cheeks were glistening with tears.

"Me and Cal had a fight," She said quietly.

"You've had fights before," Alf said reaching into his shirt pocket pulling out a tissue.

Martha shook her head. "This ones different," she sniffed

"Different how?" he asked gently.

"He asked me to marry him and I said no," she told him wiping her face with the tissue.

"Because of Jack?"

"Whats Jack got to do with it?" Martha asked confused

"Nothing," He answered quickly. "What did Cal say when you told him no?"

"Basically, that if I didn't marry him he'd break up with me,"

"The flammin' mongrel," Alf muttered. "You're better off without him. Plenty more fish in the sea," he joked.

"You think?"

Alf gave her a reasuring smile. "Definitely," he nodded looking a picture of Martha and Jack on the mantlepiece. Martha was grinning at the camera but Jack was looking at Martha. Longingly.

---

"How many have you had?" Jack asked laughing as Lara poured herself another glass of wine.

"I lost count after the sixth," She slurred.

Jack was concerned. "Everything okay?"

"Me? Yup, couldn't be better," She answered downing the wine in one go. "D'you ever get fed up, Jack?"

"Of what?"

"Life, work everything," She said reaching for the bottle again. "Don't you ever just want to 'seize the moment' and all that crap?"

Jack took the bottle from Lara's hands. "Whats brought on all this?" He asked looking her in the eye.

"I never just seize the moment," She said with a look of regret on her face. "Its probably the wine talking, but thats exactly what I'm gonna do," She added, grinning.

"What are you talking-" Jack started.

"Shush," Lara whispered placing her lips on Jacks.

NEXT CHAPTER: Who's crushed, Martha or Lara?

:o :o :o

Lara kissed Jack :o Martha better not have seen that. And i love Alf :) Finally Martha can see sense. And good riddance to Cal, please. Great chapter. Jack better not break Martha's heart, he has to let her in with open arms. And please let Lara be the crushed one. Great chapter, dont make us wait forever for the next one

More please

:o

Lara! :angry: Get your sloppy lips off Jack! NOW!!!

And, Martha! Get your head together, its about damn time she realised Jack was in love with her, but still, she chooses to ignore it. I think deep down she probably already know's and she does actually love him too.

Why is Martha such an idiot all the time :P

Excellent chapter!

PLEASE dont leave us in suspense too long :)

:o Lara isn't supposed to get any action (well, at least not with Jack :P ) she's just there to make up the numbers! Grr, why did Lara have to pick that day, of all days to 'seize the moment'?? :angry:

Aww, I still feel sorry for Cal, bless him.

Great chapter Amy, can't wait to read Lara getting crushed in the next chapter! :)

Archived