All Or Nothing

Guest ~Amy~

Story Title: All Or Nothing

Type of story: long fic

Main Characters: Jack, Martha, Lara and new character; Cal.

BTTB rating: T

Genre: Romance

Does story include spoilers: No

Any warnings: No

Summary: AU Jack and Martha fic. Grown up as friends in the bay, but what happens when one of them wants more than just friendship?

I don't know why I'm posting this now I should probably write a few chapters first but I'm feeling spontaneous! I'm terrible with the updating plus I've got my mocks starting soon ( :( ) so lets just say don't expect an update very often. Its definitely not a good time to write a fic but who cares?!

If you're wondering about the name (although I doubt you are lol) I'm just in love with the song and have had it on a loop all day *sings along*

Anyway here's the first chapter.

Chapter 1

“Jack, you were totally checking her out,” Martha whispered.

“I was not,” Jack mocked disgust “I’ll have you know I’m a gentleman.”

This earned a raised eyebrow “Of course you are,” Martha joked. She took her phone out of her bag and turned it off; nothing more embarrassing than you’re phone going off right in the middle of a quiet scene.

“Can you two keep it down?” An annoyed man grumbled sticking his head between the two sitting in front of him. “The films about to start.”

“Sorry,” Martha smiled.

God she had the most amazing smile. It could light up a whole room and when she smiled something inside him snapped like his stomach just tensed up. He guessed the female definition of it would be butterflies in your tummy. Quickly looking back at the big screen he tried to concentrate on the film and not the fact that her arm was brushing against his.

“Next time I choose the film,” Jack said getting off the comfy chair “If I have to watch another chick flick I’m going to scream.” Truth was he was getting fed up of seeing people live happily ever after. Did that even happen in real life? To other people sure but not for him.

“Oh you loved it really,” Martha grinned.

“It was so typical; boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, girl gets pissed at boy, girl forgives boy and they live happily ever after,” He said “Where’s the drama?”

“Not every film has to involve a gory death scene filled with blood,” Martha told him.

“Just the best ones,” He smirked.

“I better be going,” She said biting her lip “Cal is making me dinner.”

At the mention of Callum Jack inwardly groaned. He was one of the things standing between him and his happily ever after. Callum or Cal as Martha preferred had been a pain in his ass for the past year, three months, five days and about 6 hours but who’s counting?! He’d swept Martha off her feet and they’d moved into the apartment above the diner last month. Martha knew that Jack had a problem with him but couldn’t figure out why. How the hell anyone could be so oblivious irritated Jack to the very core.

“Of course he is,” Jack said annoyance clear in his tone of voice.

“Why can’t the two of you just get along?!” Martha asked exasperated.

“Because,” Jack stated simply.

“Because why?” Martha asked confused.

When they reached the car Jack opened the passenger side partly to prove he was in fact a gentleman and partly to avoid the question. Jack concentrated on driving while Martha sulked about her best friend and her boyfriend not getting along. Why couldn’t they at least pretend? Cal had been nothing but nice to Jack but somehow it wasn’t enough. Anytime they were in the same room together, it would be filled with tension. Just what was Jacks problem?!

“I don’t see what it is you don’t like about him, but I love him,” it took all his strength not to groan out loud “So whatever it is you better sort it out Jack. We’ve been friends for a long time now and I don’t want anything to come between us.”

“Me neither,” Jack said honestly.

“What is it you don’t like about him?”

“Everything,” He muttered.

“What?” She asked over the roar of the engine.

“Nothing,” He turned his attention back to the road and it stayed that way for the whole drive.

He dropped her off at the diner barley looking in her in the eye. Watching her walk away he breathed out a sigh of frustration. He could’ve given her a straight answer and at least see how she reacted. But what was he supposed to say? “The reason me and your ass of a boyfriend don’t get along is because he’s got what I want; you” He couldn’t see that happening any time soon.

“How was the film?” Lucas asked when Jack walked.

“Total chick flick,” He said.

“Then I bet you loved it,” Luke grinned.

“You sound just like Martha” Jack lightly punched Luke in the shoulder.

“I do not!” He said shocked.

“You so do.”

“Do not.”

“Do too.”

“Girls,” Tony said amused from the couch “Can you keep the squabbling to a minimum, I‘m trying to watch the footie.”

The phone rang and Luke went to answer it. Jack sat staring at the picture in a frame on the table; one of him and Martha at Lucas’ thirteenth birthday. She was sticking her tongue out at him and he was sitting with an amused smile on face. It was that day, that he realised he felt more than just friendship with her. Snapping out of his thoughts he heard Lucas calling him.

“Its for you,” He passed the phone and went back to the kitchen.

“Hello?” Jack said into the phone.

“Hey, its me,” Martha beamed.

“Hey,” Jack was intrigued as to why she had called.

“I was just wondering if you’d like to join Cal and me for dinner; he cooked too much and as much as I love chips, there’s only so much I can take,” She rushed.

“Actually I’m eating mine now,” He lied.

“Oh,” In that one word he could hear her disappointment. He just didn’t want to have to sit and be civil with Cal.

It killed him to think that he was the reason for that sad voice so he made a sacrifice, maybe he’d lost his sanity for a second but whatever it was he hated letting her down.

“But you know me, never full,” He said .

“Really?” He could her the change in her voice and it made him smile, if only he could quit being such a coward.

“Of course,”

“Great, so do you want to come straight over?”

“Yeah sounds good,” He told her “I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Where are you going?” Lucas said from behind Jack.

“How long you been standing there?”

Lucas shrugged “Don’t worry, I didn’t hear anything incriminating”

“Huh?” Jack was confused.

“When are you going to tell her?”

“Tell her what?”

“That you’re in love with her,” Luke said looking him in the eye. He saw Jack flinch.

Jack stood rooted to the spot. How had he seen it but Martha hadn’t?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Jack brushed it off.

“If you don’t do it soon it’ll be too late” He walked out of the room leaving Jack with his thoughts.

He knew Luke was right; she and Cal had been growing a lot closer and he didn’t like it. Not one bit. So when would be the right time to tell his best friend he was in love with her?

Next chapter :

* Jack and Martha have dinner… with Cal :P

* Cal has something to ask Martha

Please review... but don't be too harsh, lol.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You finally posted it! And you went with Callum! I loved it! I'm using too many !'s. I'm really hyper!

Seriously though [*giggles*] it was awesome. Oh and good name, I'm listening to that now, sorry I couldn't get it to you in time!

I loved that!

I knew you'd write a brilliant fic! Aww this is great! I'm so happy you've made one. I'm so going to get hooked! :P

And I'm doing the same thing as belle, with the whole exclamation mark thing! I can't help it either! It's just so damn addictive!

All Or Nothing? If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it's the cheesiest song EVER! I don't have it anymore :( I used to.. but I don't now.. I used to love it. :)

I'm singing it now.

"Cause I want it all

Or nothing at all

There's no where left to fall

When you reach the bottom it's now or never...."

Oh my god! Now I get it! The words.. it really does go with the fic!! Lol. Sorry, I'm quite dim. :P

Update soon! Stuff the mocks. :P

Archived