All Or Nothing

Guest ~Amy~

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooohh a catfight?

Awesome! :D *chants: Martha! Martha!*

You promised me some Jack and Martha fluff And there was none

Yeh i want some JnM fluff too, but i guess that cant really happen seen as there not actually together. <_<

How close was that though, 1 minute later and Cal would have proposed! :o

Thankgod for Jacks accident! I never thought id be saying that lol

Excellent chapter!

Lara's so smitten bless her! Dont blame her though, we all are! :D

Update soon! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like the implication there, Alli! So I know I said Lara and Martha talk in this one, but ithey don't... :P

Chapter 7

"I'm sorry, how many times do I have to say it?" Cal asked grabbing Martha's attention. She'd been giving him the cold shoulder all week, and he was getting tired of it.

"Go again" Martha said her face blank

"I'm sorry?" He asked hopefully.

"Not good enough," Martha said turning her attention back to the kettle.

"Urgh" Cal groaned, "Look, I get it. He's a friend, I just don't see why I have to play second fiddle to a friend," Cal said exaggerating the word friend.

"1. He's not just a friend.... he's my best friend, even closer than Tasha and 2. You're not ‘second fiddle’. You go on about how understanding you are yet you're not even TRYING to understand this. He was hurt, what the hell did you think I was gonna do?!"

"I just didn't expect you to run out like that; we were in the middle of something important." He banged his fist down on the table.

"Not this again." She groaned

"Yes, this again! You change the subject every time I bring it up,"

"Stop putting pressure on me," Martha said in an annoyed tone grabbing her bag.

"Where are you going now?" Cal asked.

"Does it matter?"

"Jack’s," Cal said in frustration.

-------------

Martha stood outside of the Holden house twirling the ends of her hair; it was something she did whenever she felt nervous. It helped soothe her somehow, that and biting her nails, although she couldn't work out why she was nervous in the first place; it was just Jack.

"Oh good'ay love," Beth said opening the door just as Martha was about to knock, "Come on in"

"Thanks," Martha smiled

"He's just getting out of the shower; shouldn't be too long," She said adding "I've just got to pop down the surf club; Alf wants some help with the books,"

"See you later" When she was gone Martha sat her self down on the couch. She tried occupying herself with one of the magazines sitting on the table, but just went back to twirling her hair. The house was extremely tidy she observed looking around.

"What are you doing here?" Jack asked blushing, holding tight on to the small towel covering him.

"Oh" Martha whispered embarrassed, turning her head away, "I just dropped by; to see how you were. You seem good," She nodded.

"Yeah, I'll be right back..." He said awkwardly retreating back into the bathroom.

-----

"Sorry about that," Jack said fiddling with the ends of his shirt, the tips of his ears still red.

"Someone looks fancy" Martha teased changing the subject.

"Yeah, McGrath’s taking the crew out to dinner to celebrate his retirement" He grinned sitting down and stretching his legs out.

"He's retiring?"

"Yeah, came as quite a shock to me too," Jack laughed, "That reminds me I've gotta get a few files off him,"

"Still no luck with the Jefferson case?"

"Nope; its like every lead leads to a dead end," He sighed frustrated.

"And what about the whole hit and run thing?" Martha asked gently.

"McGrath was supposed to be working on that.... but, no. There was no one caught speeding in the area, not even any tire marks."

"So they didn't stop," Martha pointing out.

"Nope,"

"You'll figure it out; you always do,"

"Nice to know someone has faith in me."

"C'mon, I've always had faith in you!" She smiled not looking him in the eye.

Jack smiled looking at Martha.

"You seem nervous," He observed, noticing her pulling at the ends of her hair.

"Me? Nope,"

"Was there something you wanted to tell me?"

"Well no not really,"

"Not really?" Jack asked raising his eyebrows. "I'm listening."

"You know when I came to see you?"

"Which time?"

"The first," Martha snapped

"Alright, yes I do..."

"Well, I kinda left dinner with Cal to come,"

"I'm following so far...."

"He did something,"

"Did what, Martha?" Jack asked concern growing, "Did he hurt you? I swear if he's laid a finger on you-"

"No it’s not like that," Martha said twirling her hair again. She didn't know why telling her best friend was making her so nervous. "More what he said, or rather asked.”

"What did he ask?" As the penny dropped Jack's facial expressions didn't change. "He asked you to marry him."

"Kinda"

"What do you mean ‘kinda’, either he did or he didn’t. Which is it Martha?

"Hey, don't treat me like I'm one of your suspects, I came over here to talk you, not to be interrogated. What I meant was he didn't actually get the words out, the phone interrupted him.”

"So you're not engaged?"

"Technically no"

"Meaning you’re going to say yes...?"

"I never said that,"

"So you're going to say no?"

"I give up," Martha said rolling her eyes.

"Are you looking for my permission? Is that it?" Grabbing her arm as she turned away.

"What?" Martha asked shrugging him off.

"Why did you come here? Why did you tell me that if you haven't even given him an answer?"

"I dunno"

"Because if you're looking for me to decide then you can forget it,"

"That’s not what I was doing," She sighed

"Then what were you doing? Why were you nervous about telling me?

"God, would you stop with all the questions!"

"Just answer me this; am I the first person you've told?"

"Yes,"

"Now ask yourself; why?"

"You're beginning to give me a headache,"

"Quit changing the subject, Martha.

"Because I care about your opinion," She answered honestly.

"And why does my opinion mean so much?"

"Oh dear God," Martha sighed. "You're my best friend; I wanted to know what you think."

"You really want to know what I think?" He asked.

"Yes."

"I think that if you marry him; you'll end up divorced within a year.”

"Great, Jack. That’s real helpful."

"He's not right for you; he knows it, I know it and deep down you do to,"

"So now you're telling me what I feel?"

"I can just see it in the way you look at him, like you're thinking 'he'll do'. You shouldn't have to just settle Martha." He tried to explain. "You should have someone who knows all of your annoying quirks, yet loves you for them-"

"What annoying quirks?!" She butted in, her eyes narrowing.

"And you should be with someone who wants the same things as you, who wants to have his picture taken with you in front of the Eiffel tower. Your sixteenth birthday, what did you wish for?" He continued ignoring her.

"How would I remember?"

"To fall in love with someone who'd take you on that trip to Paris,"

"How do you remember that?" Martha asked, touched. She could barely remember that herself.

"Doesn't matter, point is Cal doesn't know all of this. He doesn't have a clue, does he even know your favourite colour?"

"Marriage isn't a contest to see who knows the most about the other, Jack. It’s about commitment and compromise. Cal knows enough." Martha yelled.

"Violet,"

---------

Please read and review! :D

Archived