Support Group

Dan F

I hope this doesn't sound off or anything (and I don't mean it to be like that) but from personal experience there would be no way an alcoholic would miss a day. It's a constant thing of drinking each and every day. That's why it ruins their lives because it becomes their life.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Lise. Alcoholics can't go a day without drinking, and there's no exaggeration there. They really can't. They don't care who they hurt, or how much they have to do to get their drink, but they NEED it. They mentally & physically need it. And their body becomes immune to the amounts of alcohol they have, which is why they can 'get away' *cough* with drinking the amounts they do, as regularly they do.

Im so upset right now. Its my mum , she said something really nasty to me and it really hurt. It all started when I went to cook something for my dinner when she came down shouting at me for no reason , and it frightened me because it came out of nowhere. I asked her what was up and she just started saying stuff like why cant I be like my other older sister. Its not my fault that I cant be like my older sister , were different people. I just dont understand where its come from. Then I couldnt believe it when she told me to drop dead and she couldn't care less if I dropped dead or not. Nobody says that to their children , well not a normal mother anyway. Im just so upset and angry at her right now and dont know what to do :(

Oh Laura. I hope you're not feeling too bad. Try not to let it get to you. She may just be upset or angry at something. In the heat of the moment, people do say things they don't mean. Like sharksarecute said, talk to your Mum. Talking usually resolves things. You might not resolve the problem quickly, but you should get back to normal with your Mum eventually. Is there anyone else at home you could talk to i.e.: a sibling, or family member? I hope you get things back on track with your Mum soon. Feel free to let us know how you're going. xoxo

I think you 100% correct Foxy. If someone has been drinking for a long period of time, yet they are able to give it up for say one day every now and then but then go straight back to drinking. I would call that an alcoholic.

What does anyone else think?

They don't care who they hurt

I think that's a bit unfair, maybe they want to stop but they are too addicted to the substance and they don't even know how to go about stopping, because they don't want to seek help.

Hm, true. Okay, so maybe what I said was a bit of a generalisation; sorry.

But I think there's a difference between not wanting help, and not be able to get help. With not wanting help, they've obviously acknowledged they have a problem, but chosen not to get help, or deny help. But not being able to get help, it's the fact of admitting, or realising they have a problem, which is normal with these types of issues; ie alcoholism, eating disorders, etc. And so, by denying help, they are being incredibly selfish and have a serious case of denial, which affects their relationships and funtionalities with people, thus hurting them and obviously not caring.

Foxy, I agree about your point. Just because an alcoholic goes one day without a drink, doesn't suddenly make them change their ways, or be any less of an alcoholic then before. Mind you, it takes a lot for them to go even just one day without a drink. It's like another people trying to go a day without breathing, or intaking water for example. It's a "necessity" for them.

I'm freaking out over assignments. Like, really. Everything is happening all at once. I just... can't do it. But I HAVE to do it. I cannot fail again.

I have two assignments due next week and driving test. Wtf? I cannot... do that...

I was gonna post this in the "have a moan" thread, but... this is more than a moan. This is "I am going to scream and cry and tear my hair and skin off if all of these things don't come together and make sense soon!!!!!!!!"

I can't do it, but I have to... I have to do it, but I can't... can't... have to... have to... can't... can't... :(

Take a few deep breaths, in and out, in and out! :) Have a break for a while, don't work on one thing too long. If you're writing an essay maybe you should write the bits you want to write first, jot down the main points you want to disucss in each paragraph and then expand on them. Do some research on the internet, find out what other people are doing for their assignments.

Thanks for that Dotti. I sent a hysterical email to my teacher telling him that I'd probably cry on the day of my presentation... and I wasn't joking. I've broken down in front of a class before - not at this uni, but it's what made me leave my last one. I'm terrified it's going to happen again. My doctor has given me a small dosage of Valium to supplement the anti-depressants I'm already on, but... it's like I'm too ashamed to take more than one, even though I know I'll need it to get through the presentation. I feel like taking more than one a day makes me a drug addict, which is stupid - they're only 5mg tablets!! I just don't know what to do. I know it can't be as difficult as I'm making it, but... I can't get my head clear enough to make it any easier. My whole presentation hinges on getting people to understand my point of view, and I think it's impossible. It's about animal cruelty in art, and why I think it's wrong. But the reason I think it's wrong is... absurd. I see animals as people. Different people, but still people. But I can only explain what I mean by using examples that people will automatically take offense to, and I don't know what to do about it. I can't say that a rat in a modern lab is like a Jew in a Nazi lab... I can't say that a dolphin that clicks and squeaks is like an African tribesperson who clicks and squeaks... I can't say that a gorilla using sign language is like a deaf person using sign language... I can't say that snakes being wiped out from Ireland is like Aboriginals being wiped out from Tasmania... I just can't stand up in front of a class and say these things. No matter how much I believe in them. I can't. It would take more Valium than I have access to to make me believe that anyone would ever understand where I'm coming from. But I'm in too deep now. I've done the research and the presentation is in two days. I am screwed. I am thoroughly and utterly screwed.

~Great, I just lost all the work I did last night :rolleyes: It was only a plan for a Power Point presentation, so I would have had to do it all over again anyway. It just feels like a bad omen that the document closed by itself, like the universe knows how hopeless this all is :rolleyes:

Archived