Support Group

Dan F

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good start, Andy!

Hee. Thanks! I can't explain it but I feel like I got a bit of my life back, if that makes sense, in regards to not feeling guilty about eating anymore.

Can I ask, what is "normal food"? I'm just curious. Small-ish quantities is probably better than stuffing your face and making yourself feel ill.

Normal food in Andy terms = a slice or toast (no butter or anything) and a pot noodle. Better than nothing, right? :unsure:

Don't be afraid of putting on a little bit of weight. Weight is good, weight is your friend. I know it probably doesn't feel like that, but you need a bit of extra-padding.

:lol: @ "extra-padding" - for some reason that reminded me of a pillow (probably 'cause I'm sleepy).

Any of you have any experience with bulimia?

I'm in no position to be giving advice on stuff like that as I'd be a massive hypocrite, but I purged for the last time on Xmas day as a desperate measure, and I definitely won't be doing it again. The things that detract me from doing it is because apparently it rots your teeth and damages your stomach after time. I know it's not as easy as being told not to do it etc., but I hope you get some kind of help so you don't do yourself harm (see? hypocritism[?] :P ).

Any of you have any experience with bulimia?

I am currently trying to get better from having had this for the last six months...

But I keep having cravings I can't seem to not give into and then getting a horrible conscience and then getting rid of it again.. And if I don't get rid of it I gain weight which makes me feel worse. I ate a lot and didn't purge for a almost to weeks but gained so much that I started a bit again ( I am seeing the nurse at my school)

:S

I've suffered from anorexia/bulimia (I go through phases of both) for the last six years. I've partly recovered a few times but always ended up slipping back. The one thing I can say is that you can't get help soon enough. It's not an easy thing to recover from in my experience, you have to learn to accept yourself for who you are and not to feel guilty about putting weight back on (which may happen quite quickly after long periods of not eating - so be warned!). That acceptance is hard to come by but it comes with understanding why you're doing what you're doing to yourself. Also, don't see every little slip up as the end of the recovery, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and carry on! And I probably don't need to tell you how much damage you can do to yourself physicaly - I have ended up in hospital twice - it does happen.

It's absolutely brilliant that you're seeking help but make sure you find someone you're comfortable talking with, if the nurse at school isn't doing a great job - I know my school counsellor was a load of s**t - then you could go to your GP and they could refer you to another therapist. And your doctor is not allowed to tell your parents if that's what you're worried about.

Also if you've got a close friend you can confide in, they can really help just to know what you're going through. I wish you the best of luck with this!!

I know all (or at least most) of the sideeffects.. But doesn´t stop me :S

Thanks for sharing your experience "rachel&kim".. No it´s not easy :s your case has been going on for longer than mine but still... It´s an easy thign to get but really difficult to get rid of :s

I might see my GP about it.. She knows I have it (or a eating disorder at least) and last I was there she told me to call if I couldn´t "fix it" with the help of the school nurse within the next couple weeks :S

My family isn´t big on the talking thing, but have told some close friends.. but they can not relate to it... :S and so they mostly just ask questions about why.. which I have already answered a billion times..

Only problem is that she has a sub now... she is on leave.. and the sub is like... well.. she looks like she is 20 or something... :S Not that she isn´t competent but it was sort of uncomfortable talking to her just letting her know.. :S

Archived