Support Group

Dan F

Rosey, we don't HAVE to, if we can find a uni that's close enough. But the subject I wanna do (Italian) isn't that common, so the two closest to me that I could commute to if I wanted to don't offer it. Besides, I kinda want the "student experience". :P

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to agree but I really want to stay near home as my family mean the world to me even though at times they annoy me :P

Yeah, that's how I'm thinking now.. The year before I moved, I couldn't wait to get away from my parents and the town, now when I'm away I can't wait to get home, and some weeks that's all I can think about; I count the days until I'm home, but then suddenly the weekend is over and I'm back at school again, like now :P

I think it's better to live away from your family when you're in college/uni, it makes you more independent. :)

That's a bit of a generalisation. I lived at home all through uni. The independence I had was no different to the independence people who weren't living at home had. I just had more money than they did because I wasn't paying as much rent.

I think it's better to live away from your family when you're in college/uni, it makes you more independent. :)

That's a bit of a generalisation. I lived at home all through uni. The independence I had was no different to the independence people who weren't living at home had. I just had more money than they did because I wasn't paying as much rent.

That depends on a number of things. It could be the same if you get on with your family. I guess it's different for everybody.

I moved out to go to uni. Then I came back home to go to another uni. Now I'm still at home, and not going to uni... Honestly, it hasn't really changed me as a person or made anything any harder or any easier. I think it just depends on who you are, how you choose to take your life experiences and what to do with them. If you're naturally independant, you can be that way at home, but if you're naturally dependant, you can be that way while living out of home. That's what obsessive phone calls are for :P

I suppose if you are at home and want to be independant then there's a tendancy for that instinct to be smothered by how easy it can be to have things done for you, and it can be downright infuriating having to check in and tell people where you are all the time... but if you're living with roommates, they'll probably do that to you anyway. Mine did, and they didn't have the advantage of giving me free money :rolleyes:

I stayed at home for various reasons. I wouldn't have been able to go away due to health reasons, but I've thought about it since and I don't think I'd have wanted to anyway. I'm an only child and very close to my family so I would have found it very difficult to be away from them so much, plus it would have meant having a long-distance relationship with my boyfriend. I also found when I went to a local uni that I really didn't like the whole university atmosphere - maybe it would have been different if I'd been living there, but I just felt that it wasn't for me. I ended up leaving that system altogether and now study with the OU, which I love. So I guess everyone is different - it's just finding what's right for you that's the problem!

I hope none of you mind me changing the subject but I am thoroughly fed up with an online so called "friend" of mine. We used to be really close but now she scarcely gives me the time of day and would rather hang out with girls who rave about her favourite pop star who leaves me cold. I am really hurting over this as I really thought that despite us only talking online she was a genuine friend of mine. My self esteem is also shot as I am now wondering what I did wrong. Part of me would like to continue the friendship but another part of me is sick to death of it all. I also know if I threaten to drop her she will get all upset and like the idiot I am I will give in to her. I just can't understand her half the time. Has anyone any advice?

Archived