Deep In My Heart

Guest Tasha

ok so i wrote this chapter last night while watching the OC, dont know why, but whatever. Enjoy :D

Chapter 4

“Hey guys,” Kim said while walking over to them. He noticed Jack and Martha pull apart, now standing apart from each other awkwardly. “What you guys doing?”

“Oh nothing,” Jack replied, “I was just showing her how to play pool.” Martha just smiled and nodded.

“Right,” Kim said, unconvinced. He didn’t like that his best friend and the woman that he loved were getting so close. Martha sensed the awkwardness and decided that it was best she left.

“Well, look at the time, I didn’t notice it was getting this late, my friend is expecting a call from me, so I better go,” Martha stated. “Thanks Jack for lunch.” They said their goodbyes, and both men watched the woman of their dreams walk out the surf club.

Kim then turned his eyes to Jack, and he didn’t look happy. Jack sensed this, and quickly started to talk before he copped an earful from Kim.

“Look mate, nothing happened, so you have no reason to get mad-” Jack started, but Kim interrupted him.

“No reason to get mad?” Kim argued back. “Mate, you’re supposed to be my best friend, and best friends don’t go out with the others ex-girlfriends. Do you have any idea how that makes me feel? Especially since you know-”

“Hold on a minute, Kim you dated Martha 5 years ago, yes 5 years ago, she has gone out with several other men since you. Anyways, it wasn’t even a date; I just asked her to lunch to get to know her as a friend, nothing else, trust me mate, I wouldn’t do that to you.” Oh god, why did I just say that? Now I can’t go back on my word, Jack thought to himself groaning silently.

“Thanks mate,” Kim said satisfied, “Well I have to get back to work, so I’ll see you back at home.” Now all I have to do is get Martha to fall back in love with me, Kim thought with a smile on his face.

Jack plonked himself onto the sofa, back at his apartment, and opened himself a nice cold beer. “God, why are you so stupid? Who makes promises like that? Stupid, stupid, stupid,” Jack said to himself while hitting his head.

“You know a friend once told me that if you talk to yourself it means you have a serious problem. Maybe you should see someone about that,” Martha said while laughing.

“Martha?!?!” Jack exclaimed in total shock. OMG she heard me talking to myself. She probably thinks I’m an idiot. Of course she does, I think I’m an idiot. God Jack, why are you so stupid, he thought.

“Oh, sorry, the door was open, and I saw you walking into the building, so I thought I’d come say hi, and apologise for before. I shouldn’t have left like that. I mean with Kim there and all, it just felt weird, but I really did have to call a friend-”

“Martha, it’s ok. It’s not like anything happened, right? It was just a friendly lunch between two friends, because I could never like you as anything more then a friend. Kim is my best friend, and best friends don’t date the other’s ex, no matter what. So yeah, I’m sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.” Jack exclaimed. Martha just stood there in total silence, tears welling up in her eyes. She quickly turned away, not wanting to show Jack that she was hurting.

“Right, well I have to go, so I guess I’ll see you around, bye.” And with that Martha walked out tears rolling down her eyes. She thought Jack was different, but he was just another jerk.

Jack just sighed. He knew he blew his only chance with her, and now she probably hates him. After finishing his first bottle of beer, he went to the fridge to grab another. After an hour, Jack had managed to gulp six bottles of beer, and he didn’t feel to well. Drowning his sorrows wasn’t the way to go, so Jack decided to hit the sack, after disposing of all the beer bottles in the garbage shoot. Meanwhile on the top floor, Martha sat on her couch crying quietly to herself.

“Stop it woman,” she said to herself, “you’ve only known him for a day, it’s not like you love him or anything.” Once again, her thoughts were disrupted, but this time by a knock on the door. Martha wasn’t in the mood for visitors, but she still answered the door.

“Kim, what are you doing here?” Martha asked, clearly not interested in what he was about to say.

“I thought you might like some company,” Kim said, in hope to spend some ‘quality’ time with his ex, “I’ve got wine, DVDs and Chinese. So you up for it?” No I’m not up for it, the guy I like, your best friend, just told me he wasn’t interested in me in anything more then just a friend, and I know he wants to be more then friends, but won’t because of you, so thanks but no thanks, Martha thought to herself. Realising that Kim was standing in front of her, still holding up the case of beers in one hand and the Chinese in the other, Martha knew she had to make a decision.

“Ummm…actually I’m not feeling very well, must have eaten something bad because my stomach is really sore, so I think I just might hit the sack early. So thanks but no thanks,” Martha replied. Kim had most probably fallen for her story because he didn’t try to convince her; he just said get well soon and went back into the lift that was awaiting him. Thank God, Martha thought. She changed into her favourite pyjamas, grabbed her doona and plonked herself in front of her plasma, ready to watch her favourite movie, Sweet Home Alabama, before heading off to bed.

Next Chapter

- Will Jack apologise to Martha?

- Will Kim win Martha’s heart, or has he lost her forever?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, why does Kim have to get in the way of Jack and Martha. She doesn't like him! I wish he'd get the hint!

Good chapter though.

OMG she heard me talking to myself. She probably thinks I’m an idiot. Of course she does, I think I’m an idiot. God Jack, why are you so stupid, he thought.

No I’m not up for it, the guy I like, your best friend, just told me he wasn’t interested in me in anything more then just a friend, and I know he wants to be more then friends, but won’t because of you, so thanks but no thanks, Martha thought to herself.

I love those little comments that Jack and Martha think to themselves. They are so funny. Keep up the good writing!

Thanks guys for the comments. Heres the next chapter :D Enjoy

Chapter 5

One Week Later

It has been a week since Martha last spoke to Jack. Every time she saw him, she’d walked away. She didn’t want to be around him and she didn’t want to talk to him. She was still angry at him for what he said to her. Martha thought Jack was different, but he proved her wrong. Lucky for her, she was called up to the City for a couple days for work, so she knew going would be the best way to get head around her feelings. Kim had tried to call Martha several times, but she always just let it ring out. She somehow got the feeling that Kim had something to do with why Jack said those things to her, and she was pretty mad at him. Martha had also spent a lot of time with Tasha. She felt that she could tell Tasha anything and everything, and she knew she could trust Tasha.

It was now the Sunday evening; Martha returned home late afternoon. She saw Jack, in the lift, on her way up to her apartment. He tried talking to her, but Martha just continued cutting him off telling him she wasn’t interested, because she wasn’t, or was she, she didn’t know. Martha was relieved when Jack got off on his floor, but was surprised to find him standing outside her door half-an-hour later.

“What do you want, Jack?” Martha asked, not in the mood. She was tired and grumpy and just wanted to bludge, after a long day at work, and then a 2 hour drive home. Unfortunately for Martha, Jack won’t budge. He pleaded with her saying that he just wants to talk and apologise for last week. Eventually, after realising that he’ll never leave, Martha let him in and they sat on the sofa.

“Well?” Martha asked rather impatiently.

“Look, I really am sorry for what I said last week. I really didn’t mean it. I really do like you, and I really do want to be more then friends, oh god I really need to stop saying really, it’s really annoying me now,” Jack said, watching Martha laugh silently to herself. Well at least I got her smiling, he thought to himself. “So please Martha, you have to understand that Kim and I have been best mates for like 2 years now, and I just didn’t want to ruin that. But the past week since we last spoke, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you, and, oh what the hell, I don’t care what Kim says anymore, have lunch with me tomorrow?” Martha just sat there in shock. So he does still like me, and he is willing to go against his best friend’s, my ex-boyfriends, will, and ask me out. This guy has got guts.

“Ok, I’ll have lunch with you tomorrow,” Martha replied with a smile. Jack just nodded and smiled back at her. They organised to meet at Martha’s apartment at 1pm, and the lunch is going to be a surprise, even though Martha doesn’t like surprises. Then they spent the rest of the night talking about what they got up to the previous week, and catching up in general. Realising it was now really late, and Jack had to get up early the next morning for work, Jack and Martha said their goodbye and goodnights, and went to bed.

Next Chapter

- the date

- Will Kim find out?

Archived