Guest beckyboo

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally updated...

Chapter 6

30 minutes later

"Mummy" Abby said quietly.

"Yer, thats right I'm here. You're in the hopsital baby, you've just woken up" Martha explained to her.

"How long have I been asleep?" She asked faintly

"A long time, but you're awake now, so there's nothing to worry about" Martha answered, whilst stroking her hair.

"Ok Abby, we have to start giving you some medicine now, to get you better, don't worry, it won't hurt at all" Rachel told the little girl. Abby watched as the medicine went into her venous catheter. She knew that she was unwell, and that this would be the start of a long journey until she was better, she just hoped that she would get better.

"Jack and Martha do you want to come down to my office, it was all a little rushed that, and I need to explain some things" Rachel said

"Sure, lets go" Jack replied, but Martha stayed still.

"Is it ok, if I stay here with her, and Jack can explain it all to me later?" Martha asked

"Of course, come with me Jack" Rachel lead him off towards her office.

"Well, like I said before that was all a little rushed, as we need to get her onto her chemotherapy as soon as possible" Rachel stated. "So, I just want to explain exactly what course of treatment she is going to take"

"Sure" Jack said

"Well we have put her on a cycle of chemotherapy. The goal with the chemo is to eliminate the abnormal cells in the blood and bone marrow to allow the remaining normal cells to go and produce normal blood counts again. Because the bone marrow is present in alot of bones throughout the body, chemo is the best course of action to begin with." She explained "Most of the drugs she will get through her venous catheter, but some she may have to have by mouth. She will be monitored alot and we will take alot of blood samples from her, and if she catches any infections she may need to have intravenous antibiotics." She finished

"Ok, and will the chemo definitely work?" Jack asked taking it all in

"Well if it all works well, she will go into remission, but she will probably need to have blood transfussions before that as after the chemotherapy her blood count will probably drop to a low level before the normal blood cells grow again. When her blood counts are normal again she can go home, but she will still have to have some chemo to fight the hidden cells that are effected." She carried on. "She may need to have a bone marrow transplant if the cancer has a high chance of reccuring, or if it does reccur. That will come from a donor if it gets to that stage."

"Ok, so she will be in hospital all the time?" Jack asked

"Yes she will, I have a booklet about it that I will give to you, it has everything you need to know in it, and you can show Martha it. For now, that is all you need to know. I will be coming in regularly to see how everything is going and to administer new drugs. You'll probably want to get back to Abby" Rachel lead Jack to the door. "And Jack, I know this must be hard on you, so if you ever need to talk I'm always here for a chat" Rachel finished

"I'll remember that" Jack replied before heading off down the corridor.

"Jack, what did she say to you?" Martha asked giving him a hug

"She just basically explained the course of treatment, and how everything was going to work. I have a booklet on it that you can read" He handed it to her

"Thanks, but I think I'll read it later" Martha put it by her bag.

"Hey Abby, how are you feeling?" Jack asked his daughter.

"I'm tired" she moaned. Jack laughed

"But you've just had a very big sleep!" he told her

"Well I don't know how long I was asleep for because you haven't told me" she continued to whinge

"Ok, what would you say if I told you, you were asleep for more than a day?" Jack asked her

"I'd laugh" she started to giggle

"Well, it's the truth, you can believe it or not" he laughed along.

"One day! Thats ages!" She exclaimed

"It was more than one day!" Martha told her "It was more like 2days!"

"Don't lie Mummy" Abigail told her

"I'm not lying" Martha said

"Yes you are" Abby laughed

"Ok, so maybe a day and a half" Martha laughed

"See, I knew you were lying" Abby laughed aswell.

Well finally I have written an update, I just want to apologise for all the dialogue, but I had to get it in there and found it very hard to cut some out, believe me there was more than that! The end part of that was a bit of a filler realy, just to get onto the next part. Hope you all enjoy it and please comment! :)

Archived