Fan Fiction Request Thread

aejdude

Em your post got me thinking. What about having a thread on writer's tips? Like the tutorial thread in the creativity and multimedia section. Kind of like an online writing lesson; anyone can give their advice on writing techniques, structure, SPAG etc, such as your structure post in here. It would benefit younger writers or writers for whom English isn't their first language but I think any writer can benefit from techniques that might improve their writing. It wouldn't take anything away from Nicole's proof reading thread, because proof reading would still be needed, it just might give writers a bit more confidence. It would also be somewhere you could ask questions and receive advice back. What do people think?

I had the same idea this morning! Something akin to a Writers etiquette thread? Especially after seeing what Emmasi had to say, and how it helped by simply changing the structure. I'd support this thread 100% if it were to go ahead, because it would teach both good technique, and creative ways of structure, wording and such.

Here's a little snippet from what i've done on AmyMathewsfan Fic:

“Hello Irene!”

Rachel said whilst walking next to Kim and Baby Ella, “Hello Rachel and Kim, how’re you doing?” Rachel replied “we’re ok just taking Ella for a walk, Tash has gone to see Josie in the city”

Irene said “why what for?”

Rachel replied “I don’t know all she said is she’s going to the city and wont be back until this afternoon”

Irene said “hmm that’s strange she usually tells me where she’s going!”

Rachel replied “maybe she’s just visiting Josie and didn’t want to take Ella with her”

Irene said “yeah maybe, anyway I better be going to work, I’ll catch you round darl!”

Rachel walked on slowly with Kim and Baby Ella “hey do you want to go to the diner and get a coffee or something?

Rachel said to Kim, he replied to her “Yeah ok why not!”

Kim smiled at Rachel, he was glad to be with her, glad they were getting married, Rachel saw Tasha up ahead, she was wondering why she was back so soon, “Hey Tash what are you doing back so soon we weren’t expecting you till this afternoon” Rachel said to Tasha,

She replied “it didn’t take as long as I thought it would, she agreed with what I asked straight away!

Rachel said “what did you ask her?

Sarah Lewis, those paragraphs are much better :). But remember, the "she said" stuff usually goes at the end of what's being said.

Yep, a writing tips thread sound good, but I'm reluctant to enforce it. What I mean is, if we write these tips, we shouldn't abuse people for not following them. Although it's easier to read fics when they're set out properly, if a writer isn't used to it they can spend way too much energy obsessing over getting it right and lose interest in the fic. Which would be bad, I think... Hopefully people will want to help out their readers by taking some notice of writing conventions though.

As for that Charlie fic, I'm in the middle of writing a Crash chapter right now so it could be a while. I actually have a couple of pages written already because I wanted to do a fic like this myself ages ago, I just never got around to doing it.