Bobby's Theme

Guest Ryan

I was wondering what peoples opinions were on the use of Bobby's Theme in Episode 4000 were.

I really like Bobby's Theme, I think it's a really nice piece of music, and could easily spend a day tidying with it on the background. However, IMO, it should have been a piece that was solely used for events featuring Bobby and for 3999 episodes I believe it acheived this.

Therefore it's used in Episode 4000 sticks out in my opinion as Dan Bennett (or someone else), sticking his arm out and saying look here's a bit of Home and Away from the past. Not only can we bring old characters back, but we can stick an old piece of music on as well.

This was people talking about a 60 year old man and a piece of music that was dedicated to a 20 year old was played over the top of it.

Nice to hear it again, but this wasn't the time nor the place.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It struck me at the time that TPTB were trying to remind us of as many old characters & storylines as possible, which seemed legitimate for an anniversary episode to me. Maybe using Bobby's theme was just another way of doing that?

I also remember thinking at the time the flashbacks and bringing back the characters Clhoe(sp?), Diana, James & Olivia & using Jesse when Ben Unwin was leaving anyway was a chance to give one or two of the regulars a little lighter workload for a while.

I did find it strange that they decided to use Bobby's theme, when there were other more "general" underscores they could have chose. It was very random! But I was just so pleased to hear it again I didn't mind.

It was intended to be a nod to the past, and maybe whoever's idea it was decided that would be the one most people would remember. I think it was probably the best one and the one that was played most often, so from that regard it actually isn't random at all and makes the most sense. Furthermore, maybe they did try different pieces from the past and that was the one that fitted the scene best?

Either way, I thought not only that it was a great nod to the past but it showed that the old themes, if remastered, still work fine on today's show.

I've just sent an email to the "You Asked" section of the official site, to see if they can shed any light on it :D

I would love it if, along with the new credits going back to the shows routes...the older music re-used in today’s format would sound really filmic and bring a lot of class to the show don’t you reckon!?

I just remember instantly knowing it was a score from the Early years until I figured out which one after a couple of seconds...didn’t mind it at all and definitely think it was because Bobby wasn’t there plus as Ste said, it was probably the only theme used for over 5 years near enough 2 or three episodes per week, so people would remember it more so, I think it was the most popular amongst fans too.

Well I got a reply from Channel 7 already! :o

For the momentous occasion of Episode 4000, Mike Perjanik scored the speeches scene which included many characters from Home and Away’s history. Mike was the original composer of all HAA underscore (as well as the Theme song) from the Pilot movie, up until about 2004. Mike was involved in Ep 4000; as he not only has a tie to the history of Home and Away, but also the fans would enjoy hearing Mike’s music again. Mike chose the so-called ‘Bobby’s theme’ and reworked the score to fit the new scene. ‘Bobby’s theme’ is a beautiful piece of writing; classic Mike Perjanik and reflective of the early years of HAA.

As to more underscoring in a similar vain, I can only say: keep watching (and listening!).

So... that explains it. Mike Perjanik came back for episodie 4000 and chose the piece himself!

I wonder whether the ‘keep watching/listening’ means along with the credits going back to a past kinda theme, he will be returning!? I'd love it if he returned but the scorers that are there now also score, they could do some really great sounding themes.

Archived