Childhood

Guest -ParaisGal-

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter Sixteen

“I can’t believe he had the guts to turn up here.” Ric fumed, pacing around the lower floor of the Summer Bay House in his anger.

“Yes, well, even though he hit Cassie he does love her Ric, I think.” Sally said, she herself was unsure of the answer. Flynn and Lydia had also been disturbed by their father rushing in, and were sitting quietly in the laps of Cassie and Sally.

“I’m so sorry guys.” Cassie apologised again.

“Stop apologising Cassie. This isn’t your fault, its Macca’s. He better not come anywhere near you, or he won’t know what hit him.” Ric warned.

“No Ric, don’t. Don’t stoop to his low level please.” Cassie begged “Just let me deal with it Ric. I’m a big girl, I’m twenty three!” She reminded him.

“I know but what if he hits you again Cass? I don’t want anything happening to you.” He told her quietly “If Flynn was here he’d be protecting you, so I’m taking his place.” He said softly.

Cassie felt touched by Ric’s words, even though she knew Ric’s version of protecting the people he loved “Ric, Flynn wouldn’t want you resorting to violence.” She told him firmly “I’m a big girl I can deal with this so let me deal with it, please.” She begged.

“Alright.” Sally and Ric agreed rather reluctantly.

“Where are you going to stay?” Martha asked, as she gave her niece a hug.

“I don’t know.” She admitted.

“Stay here.” Sally said instantly “You and the twins would get a room to yourselves, my old room. Simple, we’ll move some of the beds upstairs into your room, I’m sure you’d rather have them close to you.”

“We’ll go arrange that.” Alf said, standing up, and motioning for Ric to go and help him.

Once upstairs, Alf turned around to Ric “I know you want to protect Cassie but she’s right. You going after him will only make things worse mate. So just, don’t go after him. If he comes after you, act responsibly, and make sure you’re not alone with him, alright? He can turn this on you and Cassie may lose the kids to him if your seen going to violence.” He warned his grandson “I know you don’t want Macca getting custody of Flynn or Lydia, do you?” He asked.

“No granddad, I just feel so useless. I want to protect her, Flynn told me to protect Sally, Cassie and Pippa and I’m sure he wants me protecting Cassie’s children too!” He told him.

“I know mate, but just watch yourself.” He told him gently “Now let’s get this bunk bed combination set up.” He said, lifting the beds.

-----------------------------------

“Thank you everyone.” Cassie said as she looked at the neat little set of bunks set up “It means a lot.” She told them.

“That’s fine sweetie.” Sally said, giving Cassie another hug.

“I shotgun top bunk!” Flynn declared, removing the attention from Cassie’s dire situation.

“Of course you can Flynn.” Cassie told her son with a smile. She’d always managed to remain upbeat for her kids, they were her everything.

“You’d be getting the top bunk anyway Flynn; you can’t see Lydia climbing up that ladder can you?” Ric asked, picking up his nephew.

“No, she’s too wimpy.” He said with a laugh.

“I’m not wimpy!” Lydia complained, looking at her mother.

“No, you’re not sweetie.” Cassie assured her.

-----------------------------------------

“I can’t believe Macca did that again.” Martha told Jack as they prepared for bed.

“I hoped it wouldn’t turn out like that again, but it has. I want you to be careful around him.” Jack told her.

“He’s my brother, Jack, he won’t hit me.” She told him, her hand remaining on her pillow.

“I’m not risking it Martha. I remember what I was going through when I was told we might lose our unborn baby, Martha and I didn’t like it one bit. I can’t lose you or our baby, so I want you to be careful around him and if he gets aggressive leave.” He told her firmly.

“Alright.” She promised him, moving so she was standing beside him “I don’t want to lose this baby either.” She told him “I remember trying to conceive another child, I felt like such a failure that I couldn’t seem to fall pregnant and give you another baby.” She told him honestly “I nearly gave up, and wondered how you’d react if we found out we’d never have another kid. A lot of men do that if their girlfriends don’t give them a son.” She said her pain showing clearly on her young face.

“Never think that. Even if we’d only had Aria I’d have been happy.” He told her honestly “I don’t care if we don’t have a son. As long as I have you and Aria, I will be happy; if we never have another child our family will be complete with one child.” He told her, holding her hand as they sat on the bed.

“I was getting desperate for a baby, and got the biggest shock when I found out I was three months pregnant.” She admitted with a giggle “I didn’t know how I could with all the stress!” She exclaimed “But I did. I just didn’t want you to leave me; I mean we’re not married, so yeah.” She said.

“How about we squish your fears, and do this.” He declared, getting off the bed and kneeling down “I had a big speech and everything prepared but screw the speech. Martha, will you marry me?” He asked, pulling a ring out of his pocket.

She looked stunned that he was proposing “Are you serious?” She squealed.

“Yes, I am.” He told her.

“Oh my god Jack yes!” She said, starting to cry as she threw her arms around Jack.

-----------------------------------

“I can’t believe it.” Martha admitted the next morning, staring at the ring on her hand.

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?” Jack asked her, smiling as he came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her swollen belly.

“It’s a good thing.” She told him, turning as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Glad to hear that Mackenzie.” He said smiling.

She snapped her fingers “We could name the kid Mackenzie?” She suggested.

“It’s a bit long, and the kid would have your nickname Mac!” He protested.

“Fine, fine. Callan for a boy, I’ve always liked that.” She said.

“Callan’s nice. Jalen for a girl?” He suggested “We named Aria a strange name.” He told her “It would be unfair for this child to be named a normal name compared to Aria’s. I mean, how many Aria’s do you meet?” He asked.

“Sure.” She said, beaming as she stroked her growing stomach, excited about the fact that she’d soon have another baby “I never thought I’d be this happy and now I am I’m not letting it go.” She said, kissing Jack quickly, as she heard Aria’s footsteps padding down the wooden floor of the medium sized home they owned “Hey sweetie.” Martha said, greeting Aria with a warm hug.

“Morning mummy.” Said the sleeping four year old.

“I was thinking, after breakfast we go for a swim what do you say?” Martha suggested “I won’t swim but daddy can swim with you Aria.” She told her as she held her close.

“Alright.” Aria agreed, she had her father’s morning side, she woke up pretty well.

“Alright let’s go.” Martha agreed.

-------------------------------------

“It was cold.” Aria told her mother as her and Jack walked up to where Martha was sitting on the sand, as Aria came up in her father’s arms.

“Was it sweetie? I’m glad I didn’t go in.” She said with a smile.

“Because you’re a wuss.” Jack told Martha with a smile on his face.

“That’s enough out of you.” She said.

-----------------------------------------------

Two months later:

“Cass, please, just give me another chance.” Macca begged her as he walked behind her.

She whirled around, she hadn’t been expecting him to approach her so soon, rather she’d been hoping he wouldn’t but she knew she was kidding herself “Macca just go I don’t want anything to do with you. You hit me for months, and I’m glad I finally left you; I’m having a better life already. The twins and I are much better off without you.” She told him, but as she went to turn away he grabbed her.

“You won’t leave me. You won’t go to become a single mother, I know you Cass you can’t stand it.” He said, a smile playing on his face.

Suddenly Cassie’s arm was ripped from Macca’s grasp by Jack “Stay the hell away from her!” Jack warned him.

“C’mon mate, I’m your brother-in-law.” He tried to turn Jack around.

“I don’t give a damn if you’re the queens messenger get lost!” He demanded as he pulled Cassie behind him.

Macca’s fist swung out of nowhere and hit Jack square in the face.

“MACCA”! Cassie screeched.

Jack’s hand flew to his face, his nose bleeding and his face bloodied “You’ll regret that mate.” Jack said, hitting Macca square in the mouth.

Macca’s reaction was unsuspected and uncalled for. He grabbed a piece of wood from the ground, and hit Jack hard in the face with it, knocking Jack out cold.

“JACK!” Martha screamed as she raced over to him, Aria racing ahead of her.

Soon the whole bay knew that Macca had sent Jack unconscious, and that Jack was in hospital.

NEXT CHAPTER: Will Jack be okay? Someone makes an early arrival.

PLEASE RATE AND REVIEW!

Archived