All That You Can't Leave Behind

Guest Adia

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you so much for the comments. Very awesome! :D

I couldn't keep Jack and Martha angry at each other for too long... i think they are a sweet couple... :wub:

I have an idea about how to write the Nina/Rocco thing, but i'm not sure if i can pull it off... i will try my best though. I'm writing all the other chapters quickly so that i can get to it before the idea drifts out of my head. I have to write some other dramas and the robbery Nina and Jake are going to do first....

I should be doing some work... but oh well... :P

ChapterTwentySeven:

Everyone was sitting around the diner talking about Nina and Jake, when Brad and Sally walked in.

“Just the people we need to see!” said Beth.

“What’s going on?” Brad asked.

“We want to know how you could let a hardened criminal like Nina Rogers go to school with our children!”

“Hang on a minute” said Brad trying to calm them down.

“What?” asked Sally. “Nina is a criminal?” She looked worryingly at Brad.

Brad looked uncomfortable. “Look, Nina may have a dodgy past, but basically it was up to the department of education. I had nothing to do with it. We have to do what they say. They make the call.”

“What about this incident last year?” Beth yelled at him. “She pulled a gun on another student, you can’t really expect her to be placed around other kids after that?”

Brad sighed. “Look. There’s a good explanation for all of this, but we can only do what the department tells us to do. I’m sorry, but you’ll have to take your concerns to them.” As Brad left to walk upstairs to his flat, Sally stopped him.

“Why didn’t you tell me about Nina?” she asked him.

“Sal, it’s really complicated. I’m sorry.” He left as fast as he could and left Sally standing there bewildered.

Nina was sitting on the beach thinking when Matilda saw her and rushed over to her.

“What have you been up to?” Matildas asked her.

“Nothing much, just sitting here, admiring the view”. She replied sadly.

“Nina, you can tell me anything. You know that right?”

Nina looked down at the sand. “Matilda, there are some things that you need to know about me…”

“If she’s really that dangerous, then wouldn’t she be locked up?” Sally asked Jack.

“She hasn’t committed any crimes, and she was never formally charged over that incident at the school last year. Maybe you should go to the department of education. Maybe if you put pressure on them they might give in” Jack said to Beth.

‘I just can’t believe it” Tony muttered. “She honestly seemed like a good genuine kid. Are you sure you didn’t mis-read or something Jack?”

“Dad, the file is pretty black and white.” Jack moaned at him. “There’s something not right about the whole thing, I was saying to McGrath the other day, that maybe they might be here to help Johnny Cooper.”

“That’s just what we need…” said Martha.

“I can’t tell you everything,” Nina said sadly. “But eventually the truth will come out. I can promise you one thing though… I would never ever hurt anyone. I never have in my life and I never will…”

“Everyone’s made mistakes Nina,” said Matilda “and I won’t judge you on stuff that’s happened in your past. What matters is the person you are now. And you know what? I really like her.”

Nina smiled. “Thanks Matilda. I just… I just hope that one day I can tell you the truth.”

“You don’t have to say anything you don’t want to, if and when that time comes, I’m here if you want to talk. Listen, I am starving! Do you want to go and grab something at the diner?”

Nina nodded and the two girls walked up the sand and made their way to the diner.

ChapterTwentyEight:

Brad came back down the stairs. “Listen,” he whispered to Sally. “I wish that I could explain everything, but you know what the department is like when they want to get their way. I had no choice.”

“It’s okay Brad,” said Sally. “But in the future, whether it’s a personal or professional issue, I’d really like it if you keep me in the loop.”

They sat down at a table and Irene brought over their food. “It’s a deal. Are they still talking about Nina?”

“Yeah,” Sally smiled. “Plotting how they can drive the whole gang out of town. I’ll give her a chance, have you read some of her work? I think she has so much potential.”

Brad nodded. “Yeah, I do too.”

“I think I might go to the school where it happened” Jack told them. “Check this whole thing out. Don’t worry, I won’t give Nina or her brother a chance to hurt anyone around here.”

The diner went silent as Nina and Matilda walked in. Nina looked over a Jack and took a guess at what was he was talking about. The guy was a cop after all.

“I didn’t come here to make trouble… Constable” she said to him.

“We want some answers Nina,” Beth shouted at her. “Is your good girl image just an act? Because Jack here has told us everything about your criminal past…”

Nina sighed. “Look, whatever you’ve read in my file…”

“It’s there in black and white, we know what you did in the city,” said Jack.

“That was over a year ago… and you constable, need to read between the lines” she snapped at him. Beth stood up and tried to wrap her arms around Matilda, but Matilda pushed her away. “Matilda, I don’t want you hanging around with her anymore” Beth said sternly.

“I’m sorry?” Matilda asked. “Mum, don’t tell me who I can and can’t hang around with. I’m old enough to make my own decisions.”

“Not in this case Matilda.” Beth retorted. “There is no way in hell that I will let you get involved with trash like her.”

Tears streamed down Matilda’s cheek. “You can’t tell me what to do Mum, I’m my own person now and Nina is my friend. If you can’t handle that… then… then you just have to face facts that you’re getting old and you can’t control me anymore.” Matilda stormed out of the diner furious with her mother.

“See what you’ve done you little brat!” Beth yelled at Nina.

“I didn’t do anything… you brought that on yourself there” Nina said to her.

Beth was livid. She stood right in Nina’s face flashing her finger up and down at her. “You listen to me, I’m going to be watching you like a hawk. One step out of line and I will be calling the police. We’ll see how smart you are when you’re locked up in jail.”

Most kids her age would have backed off and ran a mile. But Nina stood up to her and laughed. “I’m not scared of you or anyone in this town. You’ve made your judgements about me and I respect that, but you have no idea who I am and what I capable of,” she whispered to Beth. “Bring it on.”

Last chapter and then i really need to do some work... Sorry i'm dragging this on a bit.... it's taking me ages to get to the point...

ChapterTwentyNine:

It was dark, and cold. Jake waited outside by his car for his sister.

“Did you get it?” he asked her as she approached him.

“Yup.” She held up a small clear plastic bag and showed it to him. “I’ll need 15 minutes though if anything goes wrong. So we need to think ahead.”

He nodded in agreement. “We’re in and then we’re out. Simple as that.” He took a piece of paper out of his pocket. “You remember everything on the list?” He took out his lighter and held it up. They both watched as the flames engulfed the piece of paper.

Jake grabbed his backpack and they walked inside the hospital.

Rocco gritted his teeth as Rachel did her check up. The way he was leaning forward as she checked his bruises put him in so much pain.

“Sorry Rocco” said Rachel realising his pain. “Not too much longer now.” She leaned him back and adjusted his bed so that he was more comfortable.

“You’ll need to come back in the hospital for some check ups, but I’m pretty sure that you can be discharged tomorrow.” She told him.

He grinned. ‘Thanks. This place is soooo boring.”

“You’ll have to get someone to pick you up. Is there anyone you want me to call?”

Rocco sighed. “I ummm…”

“It’s okay,” said Rachel. “You can think about it and let me know tomorrow morning okay?”

He nodded gratefully. “Thanks.”

There was a soft knock at the door. Sally opened it slightly and poked her head in the door. “Are you up for a visitor?” she asked him.

He grinned. “Sure why not?”

Rachel smiled at Sally. ‘We were just talking about how Rocco can be discharged tomorrow. Although, I’d probably like to see him stay with someone at a safe place given what’s happened to him.”

“Well there’s always room at my place,” said Sally. “We’d love to have there Rocco, but only if you want to?”

He thought about it for a minute. “I guess it’s not such a bad idea, I don’t really want to see Johnny…”

“Was Johnny the one that did this?” Rachel asked.

Rocco realised that he had slipped up. “No, I just don’t want to see him…”

Rachel and Sally gave each other concerned looks. “It’s okay Rocco, said Sally, “You’ll be safe with us at the caravan park.”

Rachel was happy. ‘Well it’s all settled then. If you need anything I’ll be here for a while okay. If not, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Rachel walked outside to the admissions desk and saw Nina and Jake coming down the hallway.

“Hey guys,” she said cheerfully. ‘Are you here to see Rocco?”

Johnny pulled up outside the hospital and spotted the car that he had lent Jake behind some bushes. He laughed. He picked up his phone and dialled a number.

“Hello?” he said in a high-pitched voice. “Yes is this the police? Listen I was just inside the hospital and I heard these two people talking. I didn’t mean to listen to their conversation, but I’m old and I have nothing better to do with my time… You see I’m a bit concerned… They said that they were planning to steal some drugs from the hospital….”

Thanks Sarah!

Grrr! my writers block has returned... sorry for the bland updates...

ChapterThirty:

“I’ll be home soon” Jack said into the phone. “It’s pretty dead around here anyway. Harper’s in tonight so I just have to wait till he gets back form break. It will be soon Martha, I PROMISE!” he smiled as he put down the phone. It had been ages since he and Martha had joked around with each other and he was happy that they were back on track.

“Hi Dr Armstrong,” Nina said cheerfully. “This is my brother Jake. Is it still okay if we visit Rocco for a while?”

“That’s fine,” Rachel smiled. “Just remember that visiting hours end in about half an hour, so try and get out before the angry nurse start kicking everyone out.”

“What are you saying about an angry nurse, doctor?” asked Nurse Julie.

Rachel laughed. “Nothing… I would never say a bad thing about a nurse!’

Julie giggled. “Listen, Rachel. Mrs Hastings is complaining of some back pain again. I was wondering if you could sign off on another 5mls of morphine for her?”

Rachel looked at the sick woman’s chart. “It should be okay,” she said signing her name on a piece of paper. “I’ll go and get the morphine now…”

Jake watched as Rachel made her way to a locked door down the corridor and then he looked up at the security camera. “It must be hard for you guys, if there’s an emergency there’s only the two of you” he said to Julie.

“That’s what happens on night shift.” Julie laughed. “It’s not too bad, there are more people upstairs, but because it’s so quiet, they only need a couple of us to keep an eye on the patients down here.”

“Oh seems logical” said Jake. “Listen, Nina, you want to see Rocco or not, I haven’t got all night.”

Nina came out of her day dream. “Yeah, are you coming in?”

Jake shook his head. “He’s your friend, I’ll wait out here”. He turned around and smiled at Nurse Julie. “You don’t mind if I keep you company do you?”

Nina opened the door to Rocco’s room and saw Sally sitting there.

“Hi” she said walking in. “Is it okay to visit?”

Rocco grinned. He was glad that she had come to see him.

“I’m sure Rocco would love another visitor” Sally beamed. “I better get going anyway. I’ll pick you tomorrow okay?”

Rocco nodded. “Bye Ms Fletcher” he said politely.

“Hey,” he said turning to Nina. “I was wondering where you’d got to.”

“Oh I had some stuff to take care of,” She told him. I caused a bit of trouble for Matilda today.”

“What happened? Is she okay?”

“I’m not sure.” Nina sighed. “Somebody said something about me and all of a sudden I’m public enemy number one. And Matilda stood up for me.”

“Yeah, she’s done that for me too.” Rocco said sadly. “I guess maybe she sees some good in people like us?”

“Maybe." said Nina.

Nurse Julie was absolutely smitten with Jake. The way he talked to her was so smooth and charming.

“So what do you do then Jake?” she asked him.

‘Not a lot really. I’m here, I’m there…leaving a string of girlfriends behind in the process.”

“I bet you’ve broken a lot of hearts” Julie smiled.

“You could say that” he said gazing longingly at her. His phone rang broke their moment. “Sorry I have to take this…” he apologised.

“Yes?” he answered on his phone. “Okay… look it’s under control. I'll think of something.”

He put his phone away. “Sorry about that.” He said to Julie. “Work stuff. You know how it is. Sometimes it takes over your whole life… I just have to tell my sister something. Will you excuse me?”

He tried not to seem edgy, but now he was under a bit of pressure. He barged into Rocco’s room. “Hey kiddo, change of plans. We got fifteen minutes.”

Thanks Emma! :D

I've finally got the computer to myself for the whole afternoon, so i want do do as much as i can before anyone comes home and nags for the computer.... lol.

ChapterThirtyOne:

Jack sat down in Peter’s old office. He was bored and wondered where Harper could be. Martha had already texted him twice since his phone call to ask when he’d be home. He swung around on the chair. As he was twirling around, Harper suddenly stormed into the office.

“What the hell are you doing Holden?” he asked.

“Sorry Senior,” Jack said stopping in mid swing. “I’ve been waiting here for ages.”

“Didn’t you hear the phone ring? We’ve got a callout to the hospital. Somebody might be there trying to steal some drugs. We have to go NOW!”

Jack didn’t stop to think about Martha for a second. The only thing he had in his head was the idea that this case could help with the detective’s job.

Nina stood up. “Rocco I just need to go to the bathroom. I’ll be back soon okay?” she said nervously.

“What’s happened?” she asked her brother outside.

“Now’s not the time, we go with the escape plan.”

“We still have to get the stuff though. How do we do that?”

“Leave it to me… You just worry about your part for now. As long as you’re right about the security…”

Jake looked over at Rachel who handed Julie some keys.

Nina walked into the bathroom and opened the clear plastic bag she had been carrying. She took the pill out and quickly swallowed it.

Jake was standing at the desk talking to Julie when Harper and Jack walked in. “Julie, is everything all right here?” Jack asked her.

“Everything’s fine Jack. Why wouldn’t it be?” she asked puzzled.

“We got a tip off that someone might be here to try and steal some drugs.” Jack explained. “We thought we better check it out.”

Harper gave Jake the evil eye. “Apart from him, have you seen any other suspicious people around?” he asked Julie. “otherwise it seems we might have spoiled your party Jake.”

Julie shook her head. “No, it’s just been Jake here, his sister Nina and Sally. Dr Armstrong is here as well, but other than that I haven’t seen anyone else.”

Jake laughed. “You’re seriously not trying to pin this on me? You know me senior and you know that I’m an angel.”

Harper wasn’t impressed. “Shall we go down to the station for questioning? You do seem suspicious. Guilty about something even.”

“Please, even I know that you can’t do that without a little thing called EVIDENCE”. Jake sniggered at him.

Nina came walking down the hallway a little dazed and as pale as a ghost. “I…. I…. I… don’t feel very well,” she muttered. She stumbled and Jake ran up to her and caught her before she fell over.

“Hey kiddo,” he said as he caught her. “You okay?”

“What’s wrong with her?” asked Harper.

“I don’t know!” Jake yelled at him. “Do I look a doctor?”

Julie ran somewhere to find Rachel and Harper put his hand on her forehead. “She’s burning up,” he said to Jake. Nina took one look at him and vomited all over the floor.

Rachel and Julie came running back. “What happened?” asked Rachel.

“She looked all dizzy and then she kinda fell over” said Jake. “then she spewed up.”

Rachel led them to one of the empty rooms as Jake carried his sister and laid her on the bed.

Rachel and Julie were trying to get her to wake up when Nina started to shake. Jack and Harper watched on behind them.

“What’s happening?” Jake yelled.

“Has Nina taken any kind of medication, pills, drugs?” Rachel asked frantically trying to stabilise the girl.

“My sister’s not like that” said Jake. “Wait I think she’s had one of these before. She might have some kind of medical condition.”

“You think?” asked Rachel.

“Look I’m not sure about the details.” Jake said. “I’m her brother, she doesn’t tell me EVERYTHING.”

Rachel closed the door behind her and walked over to the officers and Jake and Rocco who were waiting outside. “She’s stabilised now, I’m running some tests to see what the problem is.”

“What happened to her?” asked Jack.

“From what we can see, she had a seizure.” Rachel said in a calming tone. “Now, I’d like to keep her here overnight just as a precaution.”

“No way” Jake shook his head. “She’s my sister. I’ll look after her.”

“Jake!” Harper scolded. “The girl needs medical attention you idiot. You’re not a doctor.”

“Alright, whatever.” Jake gave in. “Can I see her before I go at least?”

“Of course” said Rachel.

When Jake left, Harper and Jack questioned Rachel about the attempted burglary.

“I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.” Rachel told them. “It’s been very quiet around here. We would have noticed if there was someone out of place.”

“So it was only Nina and Jake that were here?” said Jack.

“And Sally earlier, but that’s all” said Rachel.

“Dr Armstrong do you mind if we check where the drugs are kept anyway” Harper asked. “Just as precaution.”

Rachel agreed. “Of course that shouldn’t be a problem”.

Jake stood over Nina and waited for her to open her eyes. ‘Hey, you really scared me there for a minute.” He brushed her hair off her face. “Did you get it?” she asked him.

“Yup” he smiled at her. “I’ll fill you in later though. Get some rest, you don’t look very well.” He kissed her forehead gently and left.

Jack and Harper walked with Rachel to the drug supply cupboard.

“Julie and I are the only ones with the keys, I don’t think that anything will be missing.”

As they walked into the cupboard the first thing that they saw was two empty shelves.

grrrrrr...stupid Jake and Nina, and Rocco and all those people. Was Jack even at the hospital 'cause he wasnt mentioned :unsure: but that first paragraph, with Jack swinging around the chair was really cute. I have a feeling Martha is going to blow <_< Please dont be mean. Great chapter though

Please update soon :D

Archived