All That You Can't Leave Behind

Guest Adia

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm serioulsy having a bit of writers block with these chapters... sorry if thry're not very good. i will eventually get to the point! Here's the next one anyway...

ChapterThirteen:

Rocco banged the side of the door with his clenched up fist. “You can’t keep doing this Johnny!’ he yelled. “You can’t just force people to do what you say!”

Johnny looked into the rear vision mirror and rolled his eyes. “Shut up Rocco,” he snapped. “You’re like a bloody broken record. I’ve had enough of your crap!’

As Johnny and Rocco were shouting at each other Jake turned around and looked at directly at Nina. “I’m sorry kiddo” he whispered.

Johnny drove them to an old house on the outskirts of the town. The area was pretty secluded and rough bush surrounded the dirt road that they drove down. The wooden house was falling to pieces. It looked as though it had been abandoned years ago. There were a few other cars parked in the grass area in front of the house. Johnny smiled as he pulled up. “Home, Sweet home” he said to Jake.

They all followed Johnny inside the house. “Honey I’m home!’ he shouted as he entered. They walked into the main living area where there were about five guys sitting around on the makeshift couches they had made from old mattresses and some wood from the outside of the house. “Hey Johnny!” Karl greeted. He looked at over at Nina. “You’re kidding right?” he said to Jake. Jake frowned but said nothing. He grabbed Nina and whispered something to her. She nodded and started fumbling around in her bag.

While Jake was dealing with Nina, Karl approached Johnny.

“You’re not seriously going to trust this guy are you?” he asked him.

“Relax Karl.” Johnny said calmly. “Jake checks out.”

“Well, he talks himself up and then he goes and pulls a stunt like this.”

“Karl, I’ve checked her out as well.” Johnny said brushing him off. “Do you think I’m stupid or something? Look don’t worry, I’ve got cards up my sleeve. You think I’m going to tell them everything without testing them first?”

Karl nodded. “Okay, but only if you say so” he muttered.

Nina handed her brother a crumpled up piece of paper. He read it and shook his head. He pulled out his cell phone and started dialling a number. Rocco watched them cautiously, wondering what they were up to.

He walked over to Johnny and Karl who were busy sniggering about something. “Johnny, can I talk to you?” he asked.

Johnny stared at him blankly. “What for?”

“Look, whatever you’re doing. I don’t want to involved.”

“Well it’s a bit too late for that!” Johnny snapped at him. “You’re in this whether you like or not!”

“You can’t control me forever” Rocco said quietly. ‘I’ll go to the cops if I have to Johnny. I’ll set them straight about EVERYTHING!”

Johnny got up and pushed his brother. “What the hell did you just say?”

Rocco pushed back. “It’s over Johnny. I’m out of here.”

A wave of anger ran through Johnny’s body. He clenched his jaw and grabbed Rocco by the collar. He held it so tightly that Rocco was struggling to breath. “I’m sick of you at the moment Rocco. Don’t you dare do anything stupid,” he threatened. “If you ruin this job, you will never ever see the light of day ever again. I swear you will regret it.”

Rocco stared his brother down. Johnny was shaking from all the adrenalin going through his body. When he finally let go, Rocco spat in his face.

Johnny wiped the spit from his eye and laughed. “You picked the wrong place at the wrong time to do this Rocco.” He smiled vindictively before punching Rocco in the face. For some reason he didn’t stop at one punch, he kept going, and going.

Blood was gushing out of his mouth, his nose… he wasn’t quite sure where the source was, but he could taste it everywhere. Everything was a blur to him in that moment. The only thing that was real to him was the warmth and tenderness of her hands. She wrapped one arm around him tightly while wiping the blood away from his face. The softness of her voice kept him from drifting into darkness…

ChapterFourteen:

Jack yawned and stretched his arms above his head. He had been staring at the computer the few hours trying to find out more information about Nina and Jake Rogers. There wasn’t much. Not even pictures. He had to wait for the hard copies of the files to arrive from HQ.

“Did you hear me Jack?” Lara asked him.

Jack’s mind reluctantly returned back to reality. “Huh? Yeah of course I did?”

“So what did I say?” she inquired.

“Umm, you were talking about that thing.” Jack said getting back to the computer.

“God Jack, I don’t know how that wife of yours puts up with you…” Lara exclaimed. “Typical male! I’m off now, so I’ll leave you to it okay?”

“Yeah, that’s great Lara” Jack mumbled. Lara shook her head as she walked out the door.

“Ohh damn it!” Jack exclaimed. He looked at his watch. It was just after 8pm. He picked up the phone and dialled his home number but there was no answer. Next he tried Tony and Beth’s place.

“Hey Dad, it’s me” he said. “Listen I’m still at the station… Oh i haven’t got my phone turned on that’s why… Yeah the night shift haven’t turned up yet, so I’ll be here at least a few more hours. Sorry about dinner. How about tomorrow night? Okay then. Bye.”

He sighed and rubbed his forehead. The phone rang and broke the silence. He half expected it to be an angry Martha calling.

“Jack Holden speaking” he said answering the phone.

“Hey Julie, how can I help?” Nurse Julie said something that immediately got Jack’s attention. “Okay I’ll be there soon.” He picked up his keys and rushed out of the station.

ChapterFifteen:

Nina sat in the hospital corridor outside Rocco’s room. The doctor had been in there for some time, and she was getting impatient. Her first instinct was to get out of there before anyone saw her and asked questions, but she first she needed to know that Rocco was okay.

Just as she was about to stand up, Rachel came out of the room and closed the door behind her. “Nina?” she asked her. “Are you a friend of Rocco’s?”

“Not really, we only met today…” she answered.

“I’m Dr. Armstrong,” said Rachel. “Rocco is going to be fine. You did a good job of cleaning him up. It made our job a lot easier.”

“Umm, thanks, I guess” Nina said nervously.

“Look you can go in and see him, I’ll just finish off the paper work okay?” Nina nodded and walked into the room. Rachel made her way to the admissions desk where Nurse Julie had just hung up the phone.

“Rachel,” said Julie. “I called Jack and he’s on his way”

“Good,” Rachel nodded. “Thanks for that. I just can’t help but think that they’re lying about how Rocco got those injuries. It just seems really suspicious that’s all.”

Julie agreed. “Better to be safe than sorry” she said handing Rachel some files.

Rachel gave a wry smile. She felt guilty for calling the police.

Nina stood next to Rocco’s bed. “You okay?” she asked him.

He used what strength he had to give her a nod. “Thanks,” he croaked.

“You were out for a while. I just wasn’t sure what to do?” she said worried.

“Where’s Johnny?” he asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. “Probably the same place my brother is. They all pretty much bailed after he laid into you.”

Rocco closed his eyes and sighed. That was typical Johnny.

Rachel knocked softly on the door and entered cautiously. “Nina, could you come outside for a minute. There are just some things that we need to talk about.”

She nodded. As she left, her hand brushed the side of Rocco’s arm.

Nina walked out the door and she instantly knew what was going on. She saw Jack standing there and immediately rolled her eyes.

“I’m sorry Nina,” said Rachel, “but Rocco’s injuries were a little suspicious. It’s procedure to call the police in situations like this.”

She ignored Rachel’s apology. “How can I help you constable?” she sighed.

“You’re Nina?” Jack asked. “Nina Rogers?”

“Yeah, so?”

“What happened to Rocco?” Jack asked her.

“I’m not really sure, I just found him like that.” She said sharply.

“Where did you find him?”

“On the road… not far from here.”

Jack wasn’t convinced with her story.

“Look, I tried to help the guy.” She said interpreting the look he gave her. “I brought him here didn’t I?”

Rachel took Jack aside. “She’s right Jack, if she hadn’t gotten him here on time, who knows what could have happened. He’s suffered some pretty bad internal injuries as well, and a couple of broken ribs.”

“So he took a hard beating is that what you’re saying?” Jack asked her.

“His injuries are consistent with that explanation” Rachel said. “But you think something else don’t you?”

“It’s just that I’ve heard about Nina Rogers.” Jack said quietly. “She can’t be trusted. I just have a feeling that she might be a little more involved in this than she’s letting on.”

“Can I go now?” Nina interrupted them.

Jack thought about it for a minute, but then finally agreed. “I may need you to make a formal statement at the station tomorrow.”

“Fine. You know what, I’ll be there around 4pm anyway. We can do it then” she snapped at him. She quickly walked off leaving Jack and Rachel in shock.

She stood around the corner and watched as Jack walked into Rocco’s room. She pulled out her cell phone and angrily dialled a number.

“Yeah, it’s me.” She spoke sternly. “I’m at the hospital. Look we have a problem, a constable. His name is Jack Holden. He’s getting suspicious of me. I saw him earlier and he thought that he recognised me. Do whatever you need to do, I don’t care. Just get him out of the way.”

Some Jack and Martha drama!

ChapterSixteen:

Jack sneaked quietly back into his bedroom. It was well past midnight by now and he was glad that Martha had not waited up for him.

He took off his uniform and slipped into the bed next to Martha. He tried to close his eyes and sleep, but his head was buzzing just thinking about the day that he had just had.

Martha woke early the next morning. She loved how even in the mornings Jack could still look perfect and she smiled knowing that he would be there next to her. She had waited all night for him, but had fallen asleep before he had come home. It seemed like they never spent any time together anymore, and she was glad they still had moments where she could feel close to him. She rolled over to embrace him, but he wasn’t there. The closest she got to her perfect man was the empty space he had left.

She put on her dressing gown and walked out into the kitchen, where she saw Jack ironing his police shirt.

“Hey,” he smiled. “you’re up early.”

“So are you,” she said turning on the jug. “You came home late last night. You missed dinner”

“Yeah, sorry about last night. I promise I’ll make it up to you.” He turned off the iron and put his shirt on. As he was buttoning it up, he noticed Martha’s glum expression.

“What’s wrong? You’re not angry with me are you?” he asked her. “I just had to work late that’s all.”

“That IS the problem Jack,” she snapped. “You’re always working late and leaving me here all on my own. Do you know how embarrassing that was last night when you never showed up!”

“I said I was sorry” he said innocently. “What else do you want me to say?”

Martha turned away from him. She could not bear to look him in the eyes, but she got the courage to turn back around and face him. “Jack, I want you to say that you’ll always be there for me. That this kind of thing won’t happen again. I want you to say that you love me more than anything else in the world and that you would do anything to make me happy. I want you to tell McGrath that you’re not taking the detective’s job.”

Jack was stunned. “Are you serious Martha?”

“Jack if you love me…”

“Martha, of course I love you. You’re my wife. But… if you really love me then you would support me.”

Tears started to fill Martha’s eyes. “When you came into the diner yesterday with the news I was so angry with you. You accepted it without even talking to me. Everything you do now affects me… it affects OUR life together. It was something that we should’ve discussed together before you accepted it.”

Jack walked towards her and tried to put his arm around her, but she pushed him away. “Okay, maybe I was a little hasty saying yes to McGrath, and yes I should have discussed it with you first. But Martha, I can’t turn this down.”

“Jack, please. Do this for me. Do it for us,” she pleaded.

“I thought you’d be happy for me. I get a big promotion at work… it means good things for both of us. I mean look at it financially… think of the things we could do.”

“I hardly see you as it is,” she cried. “I feel like you’re never here and I am so alone. I need YOU Jack. I don’t need or want money or anything like that. I just want you to be here with me.

“You knew all of these things when you married me Martha. I’m sorry, but I’m going for this promotion.”

He put on his favourite black jacket and picked up his gear bag. He knew he had hurt Martha, but he had wanted the Detective’s job so badly.

“Jack, if you’re not careful, you’re going to end up alone.” Martha mumbled. “When I think of you being a detective, I think of what happened to Peter Baker. He was alone. And he died because of his job. If that happens to you… I’m can’t be around worrying about whether or not you’ll come back home to me safely.”

Jack gave her a sad glance and headed towards the door. “Don’t wait up for me tonight” he told her. He shut the door and left her there alone.

Was going to do an update, but i have run out of time :(

Some teasers anway:

Matilda and Nina's friendship deepens, but what secret is the new girl hiding?

Johnny reveals his plan to Jake.

Jack cracks under the pressure

Haven't checked it in awhile, sorry, but GOD you update so quickly! Some great chapters there. I can't make up my mind wqhether I like Nina or not....

I'm glad you like it ... fan fic writing is so addictive. I get so many ideas i have to write them down before i forget. Plus i really like writing this story...

Thanks both of you guys for reading the fic! I'm happy to hear your feedback...

jack4martha... there are some nice suprises for jack and martha to come.

Archived