All That You Can't Leave Behind

Guest Adia

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read yours, you read mine. It's a good system, LOL. Nah, your fics good....but I know it's addictive.

LOL. Your fic is totally awesome. Thanks for reading mine. I really am grateful for your comments! :)

Some quick updates before i leave...

ChapterSeventeen:

Nina walked through the hallway to her locker. When she got there, she saw a note sloppily taped on there. She ripped it off and read it.

“This is just the beginning. You’re life from now on will be hell”

She crushed the piece of paper in the palm of her hand and looked around to see Drew and Belle laughing.

“Make a few enemies on your first day did you?” Belle said nastily. “I wouldn’t be surprised. Riff raff like you.” She laughed and Nina gave her the full on evil eye.

“Are you jealous?” Nina scoffed. “Now that I’m here, it looks like you’ve lost you bad girl crown.” Belle made a move towards her, but Drew held her back. “Don’t worry,’ he whispered. “Some of the guys have something planned for her”.

Belle smirked. “You’re a pussy cat compared to me” she said to Nina as she and Drew walked to class.

Nina rolled her eyes. She could not believe how immature some people were. She was glad when Matilda strolled up beside her and gave her a warm smile.

“Heya,” Matilda said grabbing some books out of her locker. “I wouldn’t listen to her. Cow! Are we still on for after school?”

“Yeah, sounds good” Nina said smiling back. “Oh actually, I forgot, I have something on today, but how about after that, say around five?”

“Sure, that’s fine with me” Matilda nodded. “We can meet at the diner”

As they walked to class, Matilda took the opportunity to ask about what she had seen the day before, although, she wasn’t quite sure how to approach the topic.

“So how do you know Johnny Cooper?” she blurted out.

Nina stopped in her tracks. “It’s not so much me, but my brother. He doesn’t really tell me what he gets up to. I just do what he tells me to do really.”

“It’s just, he was kind of rough with you yesterday. You don’t have to put up with that sort of thing you know. If he hurts you, you should get away from him.

Nina laughed. “My brother would never hurt me. If anything he was showing off in front of Johnny. He’s spent his whole life trying to protect me… he wouldn’t hurt me at all.”

Matilda wasn’t entirely convinced given what she had seen. “Hey, is Rocco here today? I haven’t seen him around?”

“Umm, I’m not sure?” Nina lied. “I haven’t seen him either.”

ChapterEighteen:

Jack sat his desk going over Jake and Nina’s files. There was nothing in there that he didn’t already know, and he was disappointed. He had hoped that the files would be more compelling.

“Did you get anything on that ute?” McGrath asked Lara.

“Forensics looked over the place this morning sir, and they couldn’t find anything,” she replied sullenly. “We may have to take another angle on this.”

“What about finger prints form the diner?” Jack interrupted.

Lara shook her head. “They haven’t come back yet.”

“Well I think you’re best lead will have to be this Rocco Cooper kid,” said McGrath. “Either he was there, or he knows who did it.”

“Well I’ve got Nina Rogers coming in to give a statement about last night” Jack told him. “I was talking to Rachel after I questioned her, and some of her story just doesn’t add up. She said she was coming in here anyway? Do you know what that’s about?”

McGrath nodded. “It’s one of the conditions of her brother’s parole. I have to make sure that she checks in here as well. Make sure she’s staying on the right track.”

“She’s got a pretty long record as well,” said Jack. “Isn’t it dodgy how Johnny Cooper and his gang turn up and then a few weeks later another bunch of criminals turn up? You have to wonder if they’ve got something planned and they’re working together.”

McGrath frowned at him. “They haven’t done anything yet sunshine. So save your judgements till they do. You should be concentrating on the diner robbery and Madge Wilkins. She’s still in critical condition you know. Find the guys that did that… it could help with your evaluation.”

As McGrath finished talking. Nina came through the doors. She smiled cheerfully at McGrath. “Speak of the devil” he said teasing. “How are you kiddo?” he asked.

“I’m okay,” she replied. “Still trying to adjust I guess.”

“Alright. We’ll get his over and done with then.” He said leading her to his office. “Acutally, while I’m talking to you, I might as well take you’re statement about the incident with Rocco Cooper last night. Is that okay?”

“That’s fine,” she nodded.

Jack was unsure what to make about McGrath’s unusual behaviour towards Nina. It was a definite contrast to the way he had talked to her brother.

“Hang on,” he interrupted. “That’s my case. Shouldn’t I be the one taking the statement?”

“Holden, I am a Senior Sergeant,” he said sternly. “I think I’m capable of taking a witnesses statement. Just leave it with me alright? If anything I’m lessening your work load.”

Jack was upset that McGrath had practically stolen his case. He had waited all day to question Nina, and now she was proving to be more elusive than he had first thought.

“Cheer up Jack” said Lara. “You can still help with the diner case. It is the PRIORITY at the moment.”

“Yeah, sure” Jack said coming out of his daydream. “I can stay on a bit later tonight actually. I haven’t got anything important to do.”

Nina and McGrath didn’t take long. Jack had kept a close eye on the sounds and movements that were coming from there, but nothing had seemed out of the ordinary.

As Nina left. McGrath took some files from Jack’s desk.

“So what did Nina Rogers have to say?” Jack asked him.

“She told me everything, and I’m quite satisfied with her explanation,” said McGrath.

“So where do we go from here?”

“Nowhere.” McGrath snapped. “Like I said Holden, the robbery at the diner is your main focus. Question Rocco Cooper again. He may even tell you who beat him up. For now, there’s nothing else that we can do.”

Jack wasn’t satisfied. He knew that there was something dodgy about Nina and Jake, and if they were up to something… he was determined to find out what it was.

ChapterNineteen:

Matilda sat quietly in the corner of the diner going over her notes. Part of her was excited that she was meeting up with Nina, another part of her was scared. What if Nina got to know her and didn’t like her... What if...

“Hey Maddie,” said Lucas interrupting her thoughts. “What are you up to?”

“Umm, not much,” she told him. “Actually I’m meeting Nina. We’re going to go over some notes for class. I’m just helping her catch up and stuff.”

“Oh okay,” Lucas nodded. “I’m going out for a surf. If you see Dad or Beth can you let them know I might be a bit late for dinner tonight. I promised Ric I’d help him with some things. I won’t be too late though.”

Matilda smiled and nodded politely. “Sure, I’ll let them know.”

Lucas walked out of the diner and Belle, Drew and Cassie walked in. Matilda buried her head in her books and tried to ignore them. They sat down at a table in the middle of the diner and whispered to each other. Every now and then they would look up at Matilda and laugh.

Matilda still ignored them and put on a brave face. But inside she was hurting.

Sick and tired of not being able to grab her attention, Drew walked up to her booth. “What’s up Maddie?” he asked politely. “You got any plans?”

“Actually, yeah, I do,” she told him.

“Who are you meeting?” Belle asked grabbing some of Matilda’s books.

“None of your business” she said grabbing her book back.

“OOooooh… touchy!” said Belle. “Must be a really hot date.”

“It’s nothing like that” said Matilda.

“Actually I think I know what’s going on here,” Cassie said joining the conversation. “Matilda is trying to suck up to the new girl.”

Matilda glared at her. “So now you’re trying to suck up to Drew and Belle? What happened to hating Belle’s guts for stealing your boyfriend? Oh wait hang on. You’re just as bad as she is now. Cos’ didn’t you steal Ric off her? Then cheat on him anyway with girl basher Macca?”

Cassie was shocked at Matilda’s outburst at her. Belle and Drew smiled as they watched the horrid looks between Matilda and Cassie.

“I don’t know how I could have ever been friends with you…” Cassie said scornfully. “You’re such an immature brat. You’re a drama queen. You think the whole world revolves around you. You are such a loser Matilda and it shows in your choice of friends.”

Matilda was stung by her words. “Maybe you’re right Cassie. YOU were a friend weren’t you?”

“It was bad judgement on my part,” she rebutted. “It’s you that has the pattern of choosing losers as friends. You said it yourself… You mean nothing, because you are nothing!”

Tears started to stream down Matilda’s face. She trembled only slightly. She did not want to give Cassie that satisfaction that she had wounded her deeply. Drew and Belle sat there stunned as Cassie ranted on. They both knew that she had gone too far.

“Nobody cares about you, they never have. Even after Callan and Lucas treated you like dirt, you still didn’t get it. And now you’re trying to be friends with another loser. You’re absolutely pathetic!”

Belle looked around the diner. “Oohh, here comes Miss Loser now,” she said as Nina walked towards their table.

“What’s going on?” Nina said quietly.

“Why don’t you ask Maddie?” said Cassie. “If I were you, I’d stay right away from her. Everything will always be about her. She thinks she’s the centre of the universe. You'll never even get a word in.”

Nina frowned as she looked over at Matilda. The girl was shaking, and tears streamed down her cheeks.

“I think you better leave her alone” Nina said to Cassie. “You’ve said enough don’t you think?”

Belle spotted the chance to have a go at Nina. “What are you going to do about it huh? You think you’re so tough…” Nina didn’t say anything. She was more concerned about Matilda. It wasn’t fair that Cassie had treated her that way. She was angry with them but she didn’t want to cause a scene.

Irene walked over and put her hand on Matilda’s shoulder. “Cassie, the girl is right. You’ve said enough. I don’t know what’s gotten into you, but poor Maddie has been through a lot this year. How about you just cut her some slack?”

Cassie started to walk away. “See, this is a perfect example. She’s turned everything around to make it look like she’s the victim.”

It had all become too much for Matilda. She pushed Irene off her and ran. She wanted to run away as fast and as far as she could.

Everyone looked on as Matilda ran out of the diner, they could hear her sobs even as she ran outside. Drew and Belle looked at Cassie.

“That was cruel Cassie,” said Belle. “Some things just aren’t meant to be said.”

“Someone had to say it.” Cassie sulked.

Nina was conflicted. She thought about her situation. Matilda was the only one who had been nice to her since she got there. She picked up Matilda’s books and ran out the door after her.

^^ Thanks guys! Sorry to the Cassie fans out there i didn't mean to make her such a B$%#%. It just ended up happening some how. Anyway here's the next chapter! Sorry for the crappy writing...

ChapterTwenty:

Matilda ran along the beach. All of the people around her were totally oblivious to her pain. Those words echoed in her head. “I mean nothing, because I am nothing…” before long she realised that she was saying those words out loud. She ran out into the water and tried to swim out as far as she could. Perhaps the water could take her away to another place, far away where no one could hurt her. At least for now the water washed away her tears. She struggled against the waves; the further she went the bigger they had become. Pretty soon she had lost touch with the safety of the sand and could no longer feel the bottom of the sea. Her clothes weighed her down and she could not fight the waves…

Nina had swum out there and pulled Matilda back to the shore. She was thankful that Matilda hadn’t been under the water for very long and that she was still conscious. When they got back to the sand, Nina pulled a jersey out of her bag and wrapped it around the shivering girl. “I think you better get home” she told her.

“No… no I can’t go home yet.” Matilda sobbed. “Mum would probably have heard about what happened at the diner. I can’t face her right now with all her questions.” She sat down on the sand and buried her face in her hands. “You heard what Cassie said… I’m nothing. Nobody would have even cared if drowned out there.”

Nina sat down beside her. “Somebody will always care about what happens to you Maddie” she said comfortingly. “I know that sometimes you feel so alone, but there is always someone out there who is thinking of you and will always want the best for you.”

Matilda wiped a tear from her eye. “I thought I was over all that you know? I thought I was stronger and that I could handle everything. But I’m weak and pathetic and that’s obviously how I’m going to be for the rest of my life.” She sighed and started to cry again.

“You must think I’m a total loser now,” she said to Nina.

“No way” Nina said shaking her head. “I have met heaps of losers in my time and you don’t even come close.” She started drawing circles in the sand in front of her. “There was a time in my life that was so dark, I didn’t think that I could ever feel good about myself. But I realised one day that all I was doing was hurting everyone around me and I was hurting myself even more.”

Matilda wiped her eyes. “But you seem so strong and so focused. So sure of yourself.”

“It’s not always like that. Looks can be deceiving… on the inside sometimes I can be a total mess.” she muttered.

“Yeah, I feel like that sometimes as well. What exactly happened?” Matilda asked her.

Nina sighed and turned away from her. “It’s complicated Maddie. It’s a very long and complicated story. Besides, this is not about me, it’s about you.”

“You don’t want to hear about my problems. They’re just stupid. I’m stupid,” Matilda told her. “I went to this retreat where I got counselling and stuff like that. I was feeling so good about myself after I came back from there. And then before at the diner what Cassie said… I mean what she said is so true. I just felt like… I just felt like she was right.”

“What made you think that?” Nina asked.

“I don’t know? Bad stuff is always happening to me. I tried to change to impress guys and that didn’t even work. I just looked stupid instead. I mean there was Kim, Callan and Lucas. I just ended up humiliating myself.”

Nina shot up suddenly and starting coughing violently.

“Are you okay?” Matilda asked worriedly.

She cleared her throat and nodded. “I’m fine. I just thought you said something else that’s all.”

“Oh?” Matilda said puzzled. “Listen I’m sorry I’ve ruined your afternoon.”

“You haven’t” Nina said smiling. “You’re actually one of the only people who has made me feel welcome in this town and I really appreciate that.” She stood up and brushed the sand off her. She held out her hand to help Matilda stand up. Matilda smiled as she stood up. “Do you still want to study?” she asked Nina. “We can go back to my house. At least Cassie won’t be there.”

Nina nodded in agreement. “That would be great,” she said.

Sorry for the really boring chapters... i'm still having a bit of writers block...

ChapterTwentyOne:

Jake looked through his battered leather wallet and pulled out a small photo. He gazed intently at the picture of him wrapping his arms around his little sister. He gently stroked the photo and sighed. He hated that he had to get her involved, but he had no choice. He took some solace in the fact that he would be nearby if anything ever happened to her.

Johnny sat on the other side of the room scouring through the newspaper. “Cops are still stumped about who broke into the diner…’ he laughed. “Idiots…”

Jake put his wallet away and walked over to Johnny. “Listen mate,” he said sitting down. “I think it’s about time you let me know about this job you want me to do. It’s no use keeping me in the dark, I’ll need to do some planning.”

“You’ll have plenty of time to plan,” said Johnny. “Plus, I want your sister to be here when I tell you.”

Jake looked a little suspicious. “Why’s that?” he asked.

“Don’t worry” Johnny said patting him on the shoulder. “It’s just a small job, nothing complicated. The kind of stuff you do all the time.”

He smiled as he watched Jake go over the thoughts in his head.

“Tell you what… how about I give you the plan now?” Johnny conceded. “You think about it. Tell me if its achievable, and we go from there. How about that?”

“Whatever” said Jake.

Johnny pulled a piece of paper out of his inside jacket pocket and handed it to Jake.

Jake read it carefully. ‘Are you serious?” he asked Johnny.

“Deadly” Johnny smiled.

“This is too easy. I thought you said you were giving us a challenge.”

“There’s more to come after this…”

“Like what?” asked Jake. “Stealing candy from babies?” jake threw the piece of paper back at him. “You said you needed my expertise.”

“All in good time Jakey.” Johnny laughed. “You know the rules though mate. First, you have to prove yourself.”

Thanks! I'll get to the interesting bits... eventually.... Here's the next chapter, hope you enjoy!

ChapterTwentyTwo:

Matilda gathered up all of her books and started putting them away.

“I hope that was some help” she said, “I hope I didn’t confuse you even more.”

“No, you’re notes were really good.” Nina said helping her. “I’m sure I’ll be able to hand in that English assignment on time now.”

An awkward silence came between them. “Thanks for today” Matilda said quietly. “I’m glad that I didn’t have to handle it on my own. I don’t think I would’ve coped.”

“It’s okay. Listen, if you ever need to talk or anything… I’m a good listener.”

Matilda smiled at her. “Sure. But you know that that runs both ways. If you ever need to talk I’m happy to listen and help where I can.”

“Sounds like we have a deal then” Nina laughed.

Beth opened the front door and fumbled around with her shopping bags. “Could you grab some of these sweet” she called out to Matilda.

Both of the girls walked over and grabbed some of the bags.

“So what are you girls up to?” Beth asked them as she put away the groceries.

“I was just helping Nina catch up with some notes for school,” said Matilda.

“Oh okay” said Beth. ‘So how are you finding everything Nina? I hope you’re settling in well?”

“Yeah, everything is going good” Nina said politely.

“You know we’d love to have you and your brother over for dinner one night, it would be nice to get to know him.”

Nina wasn’t sure what to make of Beth’s suggestion. “Umm, yeah, I’ll ask him and see what he thinks,” she said hoping Beth would forget about the idea.

“Good, our door is always open” she smiled. “Listen sweet, I’m just going to go down to the juice bar and have a chat to Alf, I won’t be long though.” Nina’s phone beeped and she rummaged through her bag tyring to find it.

“Okay” said Matilda. “Do you want to stay Nina? We could watch some DVD’s or something?”

Nina read her message carefully. “Sorry Maddie, but I’ve got to go. Something’s come up. I have to meet my brother at the surf club.”

“Oh okay,” Matilda said a little disappointed.

“I can take you down there” Beth offered. “You might as well come too Matilda, we can get some dinner while we’re down there.”

The surf club was pretty busy, and Alf was busy serving some customers. “Do you girls want anything?” Beth asked them.

“I’ll grab an orange juice if that’s okay Mum,” said Matilda.

“Yeah, I’ll have one too” said Nina.

The girls took their drinks and stood around looking for a seat. The only seats left were next to Cassie who was sitting in the corner texting something on her phone.

Matilda ignored her and sat down with her back to Cassie.

“So are you going to the party next weekend?” she asked Nina.

“I’m not sure,” said Nina. “I mean, I don’t really have any plans…”

“You should,” Matilda said encouragingly, “It’s a great way to meet people form school, and people from around the bay. Martha’s organising it. She sometimes organises these every once in a while to keep the teens around here occupied.”

Cassie sat in her seat sulking. She really wanted to say something smart, but it seemed the whole town was against her lately. She didn’t want to make things any worse. She was glad when Macca walked in. She jumped out of her seat and ran over and hugged him tightly.

“Thank god you’re here Macca. I missed you so much,” she whispered in his ear. He smiled and kissed her gently on her forehead.

“It’s only been a few hours” he laughed. “But I missed you too babe.”

Matilda rolled her eyes as she watched Cassie and Macca greet each other. “Disgusting isn’t it?” she mumbled.

“What is?” asked Nina. She looked over to where Matilda was looking a saw Macca. Their eyes locked and her face suddenly went a ghostly white.

Macca was just as stunned to see her. He gasped as he caught her eye and tried to look everywhere but at her. It was no use though, as Cassie and Matilda had both noticed their awkward behaviour.

“Let’s get out of here,” he said to Cassie.

“Why, what’s the problem?” she asked him.

“Nothing” he said still looking at Nina. “There’s no problem. I just want to get out of here that’s all.”

“Do you know her or something?” Cassie said angrily.

“No, no I don’t know her” Macca insisted.

“Then stop staring at her. I’m your girlfriend remember?”

He smiled unnervingly. “Yeah, of course you are babe.”

Nina started packing up her things. “Thanks for the drink Matilda, but I better get going.”

“But you’re brother isn’t even here yet?” Matilda said to her. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, but I just have to go,” she said hastily. “I’ll wait for him outside. I’ll see you at school tomorrow okay?”

She quickly got up and walked past Cassie and Macca keeping her head down. Matilda was a bit shocked with her sudden departure and went to see Beth at the bar.

Macca watched as Nina walked out. “Hey how about you go and sit down, and I’ll grab us a drink?”

Cassie nodded. “Okay, I’ll just get a water though.”

Macca smiled and nodded as he searched for his wallet. “Sorry babe, but I left my wallet in the ute. I’ll be back in a minute.”

“It was really weird. Maybe I should go and see if she’s okay?” Matilda said to Beth and Alf.

“She has seemed a little bit edgy when I’ve seen her,” said Beth. “Perhaps it has something to do with her brother?”

Matilda frowned. “I’m just going to check on her. Just to give me a bit of peace of mind.”

Macca flew down the steps of the surf club and caught up to Nina. “Hey what the hell are you doing here?” he said grabbing her arm.

She pulled her arm out of his grip. “That’s none of your concern” she told him.

“Look, I just don’t want anyone I care about to get hurt. Please tell me that you’re not here to cause any trouble.”

“Like I said. It’s not your concern,” she snapped at him. “If anything, you need to keep your mouth shut. You tell anyone anything about me and you will regret it. You could ruin everything. And you of all people should know about the consequences if you do that.”

Macca nodded sullenly. “Secrets are hard to keep in this town. I can’t promise anything. I’m sorry. I mean if Cassie asks me about you, I can’t keep secrets from her.”

“You have to keep this one,” she yelled at him. “We had a deal last time and I can easily go back on my word.”

He grabbed her arm again. “Just promise me that nobody will get hurt.”

Jake ran up to them and pushed Macca off Nina. ‘What the hell do you think you’re doing?” he asked.

Before Macca could answer, Jake had already grabbed his collar and shoved him against the wall. “I catch you threatening my sister again…”

“Wait, wait!” Nina shouted at him. “This is Macca MacKenzie. Remember?”

Jake looked at him closely. “Macca? Oh… He knows…?”

“Yeah, but he’s not going to say anything,” she said trying to calm her brother down.

“You better not” Jake warned. “That’s the last thing we need.”

“Look I won’t say anything” Macca pleaded. “I’m just worried about what the two of you are here for.”

Jake let him go and started walking back to his car. “Nina, we have to go.” He called out out her. “We have work to do.”

Matilda stood behind the glass doors of the surf club watching Nina follow her brother to the car. She could not believe what she had just seen Nina’s brother do to Macca.

“How do you know Nina?” she asked as Macca walked past her back into the surf club.

“Matilda, if I were you… I’d stay right away from both of them.”

Archived