All That You Can't Leave Behind

Guest Adia

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankies guys! :)

Funny you should mention SuperJack and Martha's dad... you guys are so intuitive :wink:

I wrote this a couple of days ago and I was half asleep and I'm half asleep now, so it seriously makes no sense to me, but I'll post it anyways... enjoy!

ChapterOneHundredNineteen:

Jack held Martha in his arms as they lay on the couch, his hands placed protectively on her stomach.

“So, how should we break the news to everyone?” he asked her.

“Do you mind if we wait?” she said looking up at him with warm eyes. “At least until after our first scan…”

“Our first scan…” Jack smiled. “The first time we get to see our baby…”

“I know, I can’t believe that all of this is happening. I feel just so blessed that everything we wished for is coming true.”

Jack pulled a blanket over the two them, as they lay there quietly thinking about the future.

“It makes me angry… I mean… I don’t know how any parent could stop loving their child Jack,” Martha said finally. “I love this baby with all my heart already. How could someone give up on their own child? Cause them pain…”

“Are you talking about Beth and Matilda? Tasha?” he asked.

“No… I was thinking about me actually…”

“What?” Jack said surprised. “Because you’re Mum adopted you out?”

“I know that she did it because she wanted the best for me… and I love my parents and my brothers, but I can’t help but think of my Dad…”

“He’s in jail Martha, he doesn’t have to play a part in our family if you don’t want him to…”

“Definitely not. He never cared about me…” She wiped a tear away from her eyes. “Sorry, I’ve been reflecting a lot on things lately that’s all.”

“Everything is going to be fine,” he said kissing the top of her head. “You’re married to Super Jack remember?”

Tony grabbed the toast as it popped out of the toaster and flicked it onto his plate. Beth leaned against the fridge, holding her coffee in front of her chest, as if she were trying hard to warm her heart

“… So I ended up giving her a refund on her membership, but the gall of her to even… Beth? Are you listening?”

“Oh…” she said snapping out of her daze. “Sorry sweet, I’ve just got a lot on my mind.”

He lowered his head sorrowfully and put his hand on her shoulder. “Yeah… I know... Listen I might head over and see Jack before he goes into work. First day back and all…”

“Fine.” Beth said staring at something invisible in the distance. “I have to pick up some supplies from Yabbie Creek so I’ll be out all afternoon.”

He looked at his watch and put his coffee cup in the sink. “I better get going… I’ll see you later…”

As soon as Tony left, Beth hurried over to the phone and picked it up.

She frowned fiercely as she punched the numbers in on the keypad.

“Hello. My daughter Matilda has runaway… I know exactly where she is and I want you to go over there and bring her home…”

Darren and Gordon pulled up outside the beach house, and slowly walked up to the front steps.

“Are you sure you want to go through with this?” Darren asked him.

“Well it gets me out of the office…” Gordon sighed as he knocked loudly on the door. “I haven’t done this sort of thing for years…”

Having looked through the peep hole, Nina leaned forlornly against the door, gathering herself before she opened it and faced them.

She looked at Darren and Gordon coldly. She knew better than to cause a scene, it would only make her situation worse. It had been a long time since she’d seen him, but she remembered that horrible, horrible day… like it had just happened. She was scared, but she knew she had to put on a brave face in front of them.

“How can I help you?” she said angrily.

“We’d like to speak to Matilda Hunter,” Darren said sternly. ‘Her mother called us and said she was here.”

“Yeah, she is… last time I checked that wasn’t against the law…”

”She’s sixteen years old,” Darren said standing his ground. “And still a minor, her mother has asked us to intervene and take her home… she's told us that Matilda isn't safe here. We all know that's true.”

“Well it’s not like I’m keeping her hostage.”

‘Do you mind if we come in and speak to her?” Gordon interrupted.

She looked callously at the man before flicking her angry glare over to Darren.

“Actually I do mind,” she said with a quiet bitterness. “You can wait out here while I go and get her.”

“Nice to see you too…” Gordon muttered under his breath.

“What’s going on?” Matilda asked as she approached the men.

“Miss Hunter, if you’d like to grab your things and come with us please…” Darren ordered.

“No… Why? I haven’t done anything wrong…”

“Matilda, we’re here to take you home…” he continued.

Matilda looked pleadingly over at Nina. “No, I don’t want to go home… I want to stay here…”

“Miss Hunter…” Darren said motioning her outside. “Please…”

She backed away from him shaking her head adamantly. “Sorry, no… Leave me alone!”

Nina shook her head at the two officers as Matilda ran down the hallway away from them. As Darren and Gordon stepped up to the door, she stood in their way, her arms crossed, furiously staring them down.

“Listen kiddo,” Darren said firmly. “Her mother wants her back home… now we can do this with the both of you co-operating, or we can call for some back up and continue this down at the station. You know the rules better than anyone. So how exactly do you want to play this?”

She stared intensely at Gordon, as if she were trying to vex him. “You know I don’t play games Uncle Darren,” she said finally. “I’ll see what I can do…”

Matilda sat on the couch, her face buried in her hands. Nina sat down next to her and put her arm around her.

“Matilda…” she sighed. “Maybe you should go with them…”

“What!” she exclaimed looking up. “How can you even say that?”

“They only want to take you home and maybe that’s the best thing for you right now.”

‘My Mum is making my life hell and you want me to go back there?”

“I’m asking you as a friend…” she said sincerely. “Those cops out there… your Mum’s already told them that you’re not safe here. If you don’t go with them now, they’re just going to go back to the station and get a warrant to search this place. I’m really sorry Matilda, but my brother and I aren’t exactly the most honest people in the world. If the police search this place… they will find something, and they will have every right to take you away.”

“You’re saying that I should just let Mum get away with this…”

“I’m saying that you could maybe end all of this fighting now… She called the police because she cares about you. Maybe if you go back to her, things will be okay.”

“She’s just trying to control me…” Matilda said crying. “I was going to try and talk to her reasonably…”

“I know she’s gone way too far, but maybe this is your chance to sort things out with her.”

“I’ll go with them…” she sighed. “But you’re right. She’s gone way to far this time and I'm not going to let her get away with it…”

“I’ll go with them…” she sighed. “But you’re right. She’s gone way to far this time and I'm not going to let her get away with it…”

Whoa!! I am intrigued,

Martha remember Jack is there for you only :P

Matilda sat on the edge of her seat, the space between them suddenly casting Nina away to a remote and far away place.

I loved that line! :)

It was that unrelenting anger and violence that was buried so deeply in the both of them that oddly connected them. It was strange that in silence, they understood each other better than anyone would ever know.

Great insight with Ric and Rocco.

So, how should we break the news to everyone?” he asked her.

“Do you mind if we wait?” she said looking up at him with warm eyes. “At least until after our first scan…”

“Our first scan…” Jack smiled. “The first time we get to see our baby…”

I hate doing this, but I always like to be honest in my reviews. :( That’s not good writing, Adia. It has nothing to do with the characters or anything, it just has to do with you being a far better writer than someone who settles for run-of-the-mill conversation, however cosy it might be. Don’t use the characters to grab the reader’s attention, use the characters’ conversation to grab the reader’s attention so that even someone who wasn’t interested/didn’t like particular characters would carry on reading. I think it would have been better if you’d instead begun the chapter with:

“It makes me angry… I mean… I don’t know how any parent could stop loving their child Jack,” Martha said finally. “I love this baby with all my heart already. How could someone give up on their own child? Cause them pain…”

And the conversation picks up even more towards the end. I’m intrigued. Is Martha’s Dad really in jail?

She looked at Darren and Gordon coldly. She knew better than to cause a scene, it would only make her situation worse. It had been a long time since she’d seen him, but she remembered that horrible, horrible day… like it had just happened. She was scared, but she knew she had to put on a brave face in front of them.

:o

Another great update! :)

Archived