All That You Can't Leave Behind

Guest Adia

:P Everyone has probably forgotten this story, but I am going to finish this thing damn it! I've come this far!

ChapterOneHundredTwentyFour:

“Where the hell have you been?”

Ash pointed furiously at his watch as Johnny casually walked towards him. Ash looked around to make sure the two of them were alone. He had chosen a secluded spot at the park that was covered by the trees and surrounding bush, however the beach in front of them was in full view.

“Calm down,” Johnny laughed as he leant against the fence line. “I got held up okay…”

“You said you’d be here at one…” Ash snapped. “It’s quarter past two, I was meant to be back at the station ages ago…”

“Yeah and I had something to take care of,” Johnny said in suddenly meanacing tone. "You didn't have to wait..."

“I need your help…”

“What’s the matter? Can’t handle the jandal Nader?”

Ash sighed and buried his face in his hands. “Things have got complicated. I have to lay low for a while, …”

“So?”

“So it means you have to lay low…”

“Is that it?” Johnny scoffed. “You called me to tell me that?”

“I’ve got a lot on my plate,” Ash said stressing. “You causing trouble around here isn’t exactly helping. Jack’s getting obsessive about the person who attacked Martha at the surf club robbery. He’s digging around…”

“Yeah well you should’ve grabbed that chick in the city when you had the chance,” Johnny snapped. “You’re on your own now, I’ve got my own things to deal with. You just make sure the heat stays off me and the boys…”

Ash sighed and folded his arms defensively. “So who was it?” he said finally. “Who was the one that attacked Martha? Do you think he’ll go after her again? He won’t get in the way will he?”

Johnny rolled his eyes. “Karl might be mental, but he’s harmless… I know how to keep him in check…”

“You’d better hope so Cooper, I don’t want any of your boys getting in my way…”

She was surprised that Johnny hadn’t noticed her watching them from the beach. For some reason, Johnny seemed to be able to sense when she was around. As she continued walking, she frowned to herself as she thought about what it was that Johnny and Ash could possibly be talking about. She had been so caught up in her thoughts that she hadn’t heard Jack behind her calling out for her to stop.

“Have I done something wrong?” she asked as Jack rushed towards her.

“I saw you walking and I just wanted to talk to you,” he panted. “I wanted to apologise for the other day… for grabbing you like that,” he sighed. “It was inappropriate…”

She could tell by his eyes that he was tired and washed out. She looked at him intensely with her own dark, analysing eyes. “It’s forgotten Constable,” she said quietly. “It’s not an issue…”

“Look if you wanted to press charges, I’d understand,” he said confused with her nonchalance.

“I said it’s fine,” she glared. “You were upset about what they did to Martha during the robbery. It’s understandable…”

“Yeah, I was pretty angry,” he agreed. “The guys who did it are still out there though. They could hurt someone else and you don’t really want that on your conscience do you?”

“Well that was subtle…” she said sarcastically. “Why didn’t you just say that you wanted to interrogate me rather than fake all the niceties.”

“I’m only trying to do my job and protect my family,” Jack said sternly. “If you’re scared of your brother or what Johnny Cooper might do to you, I can protect you too…”

“I’m quite capable of looking after myself…” she snapped.

“I just get the feeling that you’re hiding something, and if you have information that might help our investigations…”

“Can I go now?”

Jack frowned and tried hard to scrutinize her attitude. “Is Detective Owen’s corrupt?” he asked. “Is he working for your brother?”

She gave him a wry smile and turned to walk away.

“Nina,” Jack called after her. “If there was something that you wanted to talk about, you can trust me. I’d do everything that I could to help you.”

Before she turned around she laughed to herself about the absurdity of the situation. “I can take care of myself,” she said grinning at him. “But Jack, you need to be careful.”

Rocco walked cautiously across the road towards the club. Before he got to the entrance, he took a deep breath, hoping that he would some how inhale some courage. The guy at the door glared threateningly as Rocco fumbled around his pockets for his ID and shakily handed it to him.

“Shouldn’t you be at school?” the bouncer growled, as he scrutinised the card.

“ID says I’m 21 doesn’t it?” Rocco replied.

“Yeah that’s what the ID says…” he said shoving the card back in Rocco’s hand. “You think I’m stupid kid?” He turned away but Rocco quickly grabbed his arm and forced him back around.

“Look I really need to get in there,” he said pleadingly.

“Yeah you and every other teenage boy… get lost…”

“I need to see Chopper…”

The bouncer stared at the young boy in front of him. “A lot of people want to talk to Chop. Why should I let you in…? What makes you so special?”

“Because Chopper and I go way back…”

“And you are?”

Rocco looked worryingly across the street at Matilda, who was watching carefully from the bus stop. He’d regreted coming this far now. He wished he was standing next to her watching the other idiots that were trying to scam their way into the Rocket Club.

“Well gimme your name kid or you ain’t going nowhere but the gutter…”

“Rocco Cooper. I’m Johnny’s brother…”

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, an update at last! :D I guess that saying is true then Good things always come to those who wait IF they wait long enough... :)

Found myself totally immersed in the story again, Adia. This is one of my top three fics on this forum (These Nightmares and Return to the Bay being the other two) because, no matter how long the gap is between updates, I'm able to pick up where I left off, the fic is so well written with very believable characters and realistic conversation. :D

She was surprised that Johnny hadn’t noticed her watching them from the beach. For some reason, Johnny seemed to be able to sense when she was around.

Aww, it wasn't just Nina who was upset Johnny didn't notice her! :( The Nina/Johnny romance is my fave part of the story so hope they're in a scene together in the next chapter. And I'm getting worried about Rocco getting in too deep looking for Chopper so you better not keep me in suspense about that too long!

^^ Thanks you guys! :P You are awesome!

The story isn't really flowing at the moment... probably because I'm working 70 hour weeks and am too tired to write. But here's an update anyway... This chapter was seriously waaaay too long, so I've broken it up.

ChapterOneHundredTwentyFive: (Part A)

Rocco lagged anxiously behind the bouncer as he was led through to the dark backdrop of the Rocket Club. His eyelids were blinking wildly trying to adjust to the dimly lit hallway and at the same time keeping an eye out for anything dangerous that could be lurking in the shadows. The bouncer stopped suddenly and turned and looked the boy up and down, as if he was hoping that Rocco would stop and change his mind and he could go back to his post at the door.

“He’s in one of the private rooms…” he scowled. “You sure you want to go through with this?”

“Seriously…” Rocco whispered. “All I wanna do is talk to him…”

The bouncer shook his head and sighed. “It’s your funeral mate…”

There was a gleam in Chopper’s eyes as the bouncer held open the door and guided Rocco into the room.

“Well… if it isn’t Johnny Cooper’s little brother…”

“Hey Chop,” Rocco said timidly standing behind the bouncer.

“Good to see ya mate…” he grinned placing his glass on the bar and smacking his lips. “It’s been a while…”

“Look I didn’t come here to cause trouble,” Rocco gulped. “I just wanna talk…”

“There’s a lot we have to catch up on mate…” Chopper laughed as he got off his chair and walked over to Rocco, carefully shutting the door as the bouncer left.

“Remember the last time we saw each other Roc?”

Rocco clenched his jaw fearfully, trying hard not to show them how hard his lip was trembling. Chopper put his hands on Rocco’s shoulders and smiled.

“104 stitches…” he continued as he cautiously rubbed his neck. “You must remember that? Watching a man bleeding to death all over the sidewalk isn’t something I’d forget easily…”

“Chop, I didn’t know Johnny was gonna come at you like that…” Rocco gulped.

Chopper smiled again and lightly pushed Rocco away. He walked back to the bar and sipped on his drink again, glancing sideways at his mates who were slowly converging in a circle around them.

“What did you want to talk about?” he said still staring at his mates.

Rocco tightly squeezed his fists to stop them from shaking. “It’s nothing really…” he gulped. “Karl said you wanted to talk to a friend of mine… her name’s Nina… I just… I just want you to stay away from her that’s all…”

“Is that it?”

“Well yeah…” Rocco nodded.

“I don’t believe you…” he said shaking his head.

“What do you mean?” Rocco frowned. “Look what I mean is… Whatever you want with her, I just want you to drop it. Forget about her… get someone else…”

“I don’t believe that you actually have a friend Rocco…” Chopper laughed. “You don’t have any friends! What’s really going on? Did Johnny send you?”

“No it’s nothing like that,” Rocco insisted. “I just don’t want Nina getting mixed up with you guys… especially with Karl hanging around as well…”

“Nina… yeah… She’s a nice girl from what I’ve heard. But I’d kinda like to meet her so I can judge for myself… Then again if my brother likes her, I’m sure he could convince her to come and meet me…”

“No way,” Rocco said shaking his head. “No way am I gonna let my friends get involved with you or Karl for that matter… I’m warning you guys to stay away from her!”

Chopper took a step back, surprised by Rocco’s burst of courage and determination. He frowned wondering what it was about this girl that had gotten Rocco so worked up. The Rocco he knew had never stood up for himself, let alone someone else. The Rocco he knew always hid behind his big brother.

“How’s Johnny doing these days?” Chopper asked him.

“Look man I dunno, I’m trying to get away from that life…” Rocco said frustrated. “I’m not in the gang anymore…”

“So I heard… problem is Johnny’s never gonna you let go that easily, is he? You know as wella s I do what happens to people who break their oath.”

“I can deal with him, I just want to keep my friends safe and away from all of you guys. I won’t let them make the same mistakes that I did…”

Chopper laughed hysterically. The other guys in the room didn’t find anything particularly funny, but they laughed along with him anyway. “Your first mistake was leaving the gang Roc,” Chopper said suddenly turning serious. “Johnny was the only one stupid enough to protect you. Your second mistake was coming here alone…”

He slammed his glass on the bar and advanced towards Rocco. As he got closer he pulled out a small knife from the inside of his dark leather jacket and wiped it slowly and carefully along the top of his sleeve. Rocco could see the dried blood on the knife leaving rustic imprints on Chopper’s jacket.

“Chop...” Rocco said backing away from him. “Come on man…”

Chopper smiled vindictively as two of his mates grabbed Rocco from behind.

(Part B)

Matilda paced anxiously on the foot path, checking her phone at every possible second. It had been a while since Rocco had gone in and she was getting worried, wondering if she should call Ric and tell him to get down here and help. As she checked her phone for the millionth time, she was suddenly grabbed from behind and pulled around the corner from the bus stop.

“Maddie?”

“Jake…?” she said turning around surprised. “What are you doing here?”

“Are you waiting for Rocco?” he asked her.

“How did you know?”

Jake directed his eyes behind her. She turned around and saw Johnny getting out of his car and walking towards them.

“What’s Johnny doing here? Is Rocco in trouble?” Matilda said suddenly trembling. “What’s going on? How did you…”

Jake said nothing, but shook his head fretfully hoping to hush her and calm her down.

“Hey mate,” Jake said pulling Matilda to his side. “Got your message… so what’s the plan?”

Johnny frowned at Matilda before grinning at Jake. “Plan is, I go in there and get my brother. That’s it…”

“Hang on… You’re not seriously thinking of going in there alone?” Jake asked him. “You can’t be that crazy… you know there’s a reason why everyone calls him Chopper…”

“I can handle him,” Johnny said calmly. “Dude is a wuss anyway. I’ll be in and out trust me.”

“You sure?” Jake said worriedly. “Maybe I should give Spud and Jase a buzz, tell them to get down here and give you some back up…”

“Nah, it’s all good,” Johnny smiled shaking his head. “Chopper won’t touch me. He hasn’t got the guts. What I do need is for you to get her out of here,” he said motioning at Matilda.

“Yeah, no worries mate,” Jake nodded a little bemused. “Give me a call later or something alright… let me know how everything goes.”

Johnny nodded and headed across the street to the entrance of the club. Jake looked at Matilda who was trying hard to control her tears.

“Come with me Maddie,” Jake said tensely scouring the area. “It’s not safe around here.”

Matilda sighed heavily and quickly wiped her eyes.

“Is Rocco going to be okay?” she said trembling. “I don’t want to leave him…”

“Johnny will sort things out…” he said putting his arm around her and walking her to his car. “But if things get bad, you can’t be anywhere around here, especially if Chopper and his mates know you’re connected to Rocco…”

“But I promised him I’d stay… what if something happens to him? What if Johnny can’t sort it out?”

Jake raised his eye brow and smiled reassuringly. “Then I’d say you don’t know Johnny Cooper very well…”

The bouncer shook his head as he lead Johnny down the hallway. “Your bro is in there with Chopper,” he said pointing at the door. “You sure you want to go in there?”

Johnny nodded. The bouncer looked at him the way he’d looked at Rocco before. Unlike Rocco though, Johnny was calm and collected, standing there so casually in his board shorts and jandals, and at the same time his expression was silently threatening.

The bouncer opened the door as Johnny waited outside. “He’s here Chop,” the guy barked. “And he’s alone…”

Chopper smiled sadistically at Rocco before motioning to the door. “Send him in then…”

As the guys cleared the floor and dragged Rocco with them, they grouped themselves behind Chopper, leaving Johnny standing alone on the other side of the room.

“Didn’t think you’d show your face Cooper,” Chopper sneered. “Especially knowing that you’d be so out numbered.”

“Thought I’d take my chances,” Johnny smirked.

Chopper jumped off his stool and began circling around Johnny. “Always the tough guy eh,” he grinned. “Think you can take us all on?”

“What can I say,” Johnny smiled. “I’m a gambler… you know that.”

“Yeah, I knew you’d come running if Rocco was in trouble… I know you’d do anything for that kid…”

Johnny focused on Rocco who was still being held down by Chopper’s mates. “I didn’t come for Rocco, I couldn’t give a stuff!” he sneered. “I came just especially to see how your wounds were healing Chop… I always knew I’d make a good a butcher…”

Chopper could feel the scar around his neck strangling him. “Don’t even try and rark me up, I’ll hurt that kid and you won’t like having that on your conscience. Don’t forget… I know you Cooper…”

“Come on Chopper,” Johnny grinned as he advanced towards him. “You don’t have to use my brother to get my attention… you had me at hello…”

“Hang on! He came to me!” Chopper yelled not impressed with Johnny’s sarcasm. “Warning me to stay away from his little friend. A pathetic attempt but I gotta give him marks for trying though…”

Johnny glared in Rocco’s direction. “What friend is this?” he asked.

“There’s this chick that I’ve been trying to recruit for my crew,” Chopper explained. “Jake Roger’s sister. I don’t think she likes me though, she’s not returning my calls…”

“Maybe you’re just not her type,” Johnny snapped. “Jake is the over protective brother, you’ll never get to her. He’d never let her get mixed up with you.”

Chopper rubbed the scar that curved around his neck. It had been a long time since he had seen Johnny, and even with his gang around, he was nervous and anxious about what Johnny could do to him. Mentally and physically Johnny had always been stronger, something that Chopper had both envied and admired.

“Look Johnny, truth is, I wanted to see you…” he gulped. “Come on… You know I’d never hurt Roc… he's like a brother to me...”

“So it was all part of your cunning plan to get me alone…” Johnny smirked. “You could’ve done better Chop…”

“I thought I could use the situation to my advantage… yeah…” Chopper grinned. “But I wanted to warn you about something… and with everything that’s happened between the two of us, you’re not exactly the most approachable person.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t quite hear you?” Johnny scoffed. “Warn me about what exactly?”

Chopper sighed and motioned Johnny to the bar. “There’s no easy way to put this mate,” he said as Johnny stood next to him. “Karl’s gonna try and bring you down – says he knows how to get to you…”

“I’m not stupid Chop,” he laughed. “I figured as much. But you giving me a friendly warning… that’s not exactly what I was expecting.”

“Well I didn’t believe him at first. I didn’t think you could have a weakness to be honest. But he’s dead set on the idea. He came to me hoping that I’d help him…”

“And…?”

“You think I’d help that bastard after what he did to my girlfriend?” Chopper snapped. “We might not be friends anymore Johnny, but at least I still respect you. Karl thought slumming it with you guys was gonna keep him safe; and I know you only tolerated it to get back at me. Now that he’s come crawling back, it’s the perfect time to get rid of him. We could both benefit from this bro…”

Johnny looked at him fiercely. “Let Roc go and I’ll think about it…”

“Maybe I should hold on to him,” Chopper grinned looking over at the boy. “Make sure you follow through on your word.”

“You know I always keep my promises my mate,” Johnny winked at him. “You wouldn’t have that scar if I didn’t…”

Johnny walked over to Rocco and yanked him away from the guys.

“We’ll talk soon Cooper,” Chopper said as he watched the two brothers advance towards the exit. “Don’t keep me waiting…”

Johnny said nothing as they left the club, but Rocco could feel his discerning gaze burning the back of his neck. He shuddered just wondering what it was that Johnny might be thinking… he seemed to be way to calm for comfort.

Rocco looked anxiously across the road at the empty bus stop as he got into the car.

“She’s gone mate,” Johnny said seeing the worried look on Rocco’s face. “Don’t worry about her, I took care of it… she’s safe.”

Johnny slotted his key into the ignition, but before he turned the key any further, he stopped and sighed.

“What the hell were you thinking Roc?” Johnny whispered violently.

“I had to Johnny!” Rocco yelled. “I just wanted all this to be over man! I’m sick and tired of everything…”

“Why didn’t you come to me Roc?” Johnny said angrily. “You shouldn’t have gone to see Chopper! That was a huge mistake!”

“Karl was getting out of control. He wouldn’t lay off! He said if I went to you he’d say I was the one that dobbed you to the cops about that job up north. You’ve already got it in for me, and once you heard that, you would’ve shut me up for good…”

Johnny stared intensely at his brother before placing his hands on the side of Rocco’s face, almost caringly.

“You’re my brother. You think I’d really do that to you? After everything that we’ve been through together? Everything that I’ve sacrificed so you could have a life? If I wanted you dead Roc, you’d be long gone by now, and you know it…”

“I know Johnny,” Rocco cried. “I just… I was scared… I wanted out…”

“You’re not going anywhere now little brother, you owe me for bailing you out today…’

Rocco cringed and turned away, looking out the car window feeling literally trapped in the car with his brother. “But Johnny…”

“No buts about it… I wanna know everything Rocco,” Johnny demanded. “Don’t leave out a single detail. And from now on, if anything happens I wanna know about it. You’re not getting off that easily…”

“Come on Chopper,” Johnny grinned as he advanced towards him. “You don’t have to use my brother to get my attention… you had me at hello…”

I love the sarcastic humout! :lol:

Just caught up with the last two chapters - great reading as usual, Adia, I love this fic! - but only just got in and have a few things to do to catch up with myself plus I want to watch I'm A Celebrity :P so I'll review properly tomorrow or Tues. :D

His eyelids were blinking wildly trying to adjust to the dimly lit hallway and at the same time keeping an eye out for anything dangerous that could be lurking in the shadows.

I like the description of the club and Rocco’s feelings on entering - tho I’m just as baffled as the bouncer as to why Rocco wanted to take such stupid chances! Still I guess that’s very much in keeping with the character from what I saw of him on the show.

“Well… if it isn’t Johnny Cooper’s little brother…”

“Hey Chop,” Rocco said timidly standing behind the bouncer.

“Good to see ya mate…” he grinned placing his glass on the bar and smacking his lips. “It’s been a while…”

I just loved the scene with Rocco and Chopper, especially when he first spies him. And that bit where he says about the stitches and then when his friends “converge in a circle” is so threatening and effective.

The Rocco he knew had never stood up for himself, let alone someone else. The Rocco he knew always hid behind his big brother.

Ha, he was a coward, wasn’t he?!! :P Sorry I was never a fan of his especially when even after stabbing Sally and leaving her for dead all he could think of was himself. :angry:

He slammed his glass on the bar and advanced towards Rocco. As he got closer he pulled out a small knife from the inside of his dark leather jacket and wiped it slowly and carefully along the top of his sleeve. Rocco could see the dried blood on the knife leaving rustic imprints on Chopper’s jacket.

Pure evil!!!

...and saw Johnny getting out of his car and walking towards them.

Johnny frowned at Matilda before grinning at Jake. “Plan is, I go in there and get my brother. That’s it…”

Jake raised his eye brow and smiled reassuringly. “Then I’d say you don’t know Johnny Cooper very well…”

Yay! We have a hero and just in the nick of time! :D

“Dude is a wuss anyway. I’ll be in and out trust me.”

That line just stood out for me. It was so Johnny like and convincing.

Unlike Rocco though, Johnny was calm and collected, standing there so casually in his board shorts and jandals, and at the same time his expression was silently threatening.

“Thought I’d take my chances,” Johnny smirked.

Chopper jumped off his stool and began circling around Johnny. “Always the tough guy eh,” he grinned. “Think you can take us all on?”

“What can I say,” Johnny smiled. “I’m a gambler… you know that.”

“Yeah, I knew you’d come running if Rocco was in trouble… I know you’d do anything for that kid…”

Johnny focused on Rocco who was still being held down by Chopper’s mates. “I didn’t come for Rocco, I couldn’t give a stuff!” he sneered. “I came just especially to see how your wounds were healing Chop… I always knew I’d make a good a butcher…”

“You’re my brother. You think I’d really do that to you? After everything that we’ve been through together? Everything that I’ve sacrificed so you could have a life? If I wanted you dead Roc, you’d be long gone by now, and you know it…”

You have Johnny to perfection. :)

The story isn't really flowing at the moment... probably because I'm working 70 hour weeks and am too tired to write

I know exactly what you mean about work swallowing up all your time - I haven’t had any time at all lately for writing either. But actually your fic is flowing as well as ever, Adia - the hallmark of a very strong story. :D

• 9 months later...

Okay, BTTB won't let me post the message from my control panel because of updates and I won't be able to reply if it's not done by tomorrow so thanks for the sneak preview, Adia, and this is my review:

That is so wonderfully emotional, I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes at the end! And let me remind you if you can have this effect in so short a piece what are you capable of with a longer piece? You MUST get back into your fic for you own sake as well as your readers. It flows as well as ever so you've picked up very competently from where you left off. And he's got to give everything up, even the gang, for Nina, he's just got to, as a reader I'm heavily involved in this relationship too so he can't let me down... :P

I loved as if preparing her heart to be shattered before he could do it. and eyes trying to burn holes in her shadow as she broke him. Damn you, if you don't carry on with this I'll start writing some and that's a threat! :P

I'll be chatting to my sis for an hour or so soon (already spoken to my friend and forwarded an email to my other friend) but I'll prob be online till around 11.30 or so and then will check in briefly tomorrow morning so might catch up with you then - if not. see you in a couple of weeks! :)

• 3 months later...

I'm suprised that this story hasn't been long dead and buried... I had the urge to do some writing and this is what came out...

i was meant to be writing an essay on Marxism. Go figure...

Not sure if I will continue this. More like... not sure when i'll have time. Enjoy!

ChapterOneHundredTwentySix:

Jake winced and rubbed his forehead as he tried hard to concentrate on the road. His head was thumping violently and every few minutes his vision would fade out. He wondered about Johnny and whether he had sorted things at the club. The last thing he needed was to be facing Chopper and his mates in the state that he was in. He regretted his early morning binge, and hoped like hell that Matilda didn’t dare look into his blood shot eyes. He had become an expert at masking his behaviour whenever he was high, stoned... off his face. Although there were times when he felt that the drug abusing Jake was his real self.

Every now and then he would sigh and tap his thumbs nervously on the steering wheel, while Matilda stared aimlessly at the passing landscape.

“He’ll be okay Maddie,” Jake said finally. “Johnny wouldn’t let anything happen to him...”

It took a long time for her process what he had said. “That’s the thing,” Matilda said sadly. “Johnny will bail him out, and then Rocco will owe him, and we’ll be back to square one again...”

Jake bit his lip. In a way she was right, and he felt sorry for the both of them.

“Rocco is never going to be free of the gang is he?” she continued. “ He’ll never be able to leave that life behind him in the past... He’ll never have the chance to have a normal life. I wish he didn’t have to go through that. I wish that he didn’t have to hurt all the time.”

“I think you need to ask yourself if Rocco wants to leave it behind...” Jake said pondering out loud. “You’ve got to realise Matilda, that Johnny and the gang is all that Rocco has ever known."

“Yeah but he doesn’t need that life any more,” she argued. “He has me...”

“It’s not that simple...” he answered shaking his head. " You can't just forget stuff like that like it never happened, no matter who you're with. It's always going to affect the rest of your life... every choice, every decision you make."

"People can change, and if anyone can change, it's Rocco."

Jake shook his head solemnly. "People get scared of things like the future, especially when they have to go down a road they haven't been before, on a journey with people they don't know. Love isn't just going to solve that. It helps, but when people get scared the most natural reaction is to go back to the places and the people... the things... that make us feel normal...”

She brushed away the tear that had already started to trickle down the side of her left cheek and tried hard to focus on the landscapes that blurred past in front of her.

"Johnny has done nothing but hurt Rocco," she said tearfully. "How could all that violence make someone feel normal?"

"Like I said, it's what he knows..."

“Is that why you’re in the gang...” she said earnestly.

Jake frowned, caught off guard by her question. “I’m not really in the gang,” he said choosing his words carefully. “I guess you could say that I’m just lost and looking for some answers...”

“And you think you can find answers by hanging out with evil, violent people and committing crimes?” Matilda snapped. “Hurting everyone around you?”

He frowned again and decided not to answer her question. He knew that she was angry and upset about Rocco and thought it was best not to give her any more ammunition.

“I’m sorry,” she said sweeping her fringe behind her ears. “It’s just... you and Nina and Rocco... you’re good people, and I just can’t understand why you would put yourselves through so much pain...”

He gulped and thought of his sister and everything she had sacrificed for him. He knew deep down how sad she was; how lost she had become in her own mind trying to help him.

“That’s life...” he sighed. “We make mistakes. People get hurt, but they need to learn to get over it. Life is not all roses and bunny rabbits.”

Matilda brushed her hand lightly across the burns on her neck. Another tear slid down her cheek and she choked hard on her tears trying not to show any sign of weakness in front of Jake.

“It’s this street here right...?” he said concentrating hard on the road in front of him and trying not to look at her. As they drove down the street, they passed Jack walking along the sidewalk, still angry about his confrontation on the beach with Nina. He eyed them suspiciously as they passed, wondering what chain of events had led to Matilda being in the car with one of Johnny’s gang members.

Jake rolled his eyes and frowned when he noticed Jack on the street and almost felt compelled to stop and yell something at him. He thought better of it though. It would be the last thing Matilda needed to see...

“Look, it’s been pretty rough for you the last few months…” Jake said sympathetically. ‘Everyone goes through that rebellion phase…”

“Yeah,” Matilda sighed. “But being with Rocco has totally changed my perspective on things. Like I’m doing something that makes ME happy for a change.”

“Even though you’ve become enemies with your own family?” he said raising his eyebrow. “Is Rocco really worth all that grief?”

“Of course he is…” she said without any doubt.

“I’m just saying… you’re young. You’ve got so much ahead of you. It’s great that you have this good thing with Roc, but you’ve got to look at the bigger picture.”

“You think we’re love struck teenagers or something? That we’re not going to last?”

“Ha, do you even know what love is?” Jake rubbed the centre of his forehead again. “It’s just you and Rocco have been through a lot in your lives… I’m just saying; you really want to risk your relationship with your family for some one you’ve only been with for five minutes? True love doesn’t exist anymore… Can you honestly tell me that you would do anything for Rocco? That you would sacrifice everything in your life to be with him?"

“Yeah I guess so. I love him…”

“Do you even know what love is Maddie?” he laughed.

“Of course I do,” she snapped.

“But you’re not even sure he’s truly worth the sacrifice…”

“He is worth it… I know he is. I thought I was in love with Lucas and he turned around and broke my heart. Rocco would never do that to me…”

“You sound like my sister,” he said rolling his eyes. "I mean... You thought you were in love with Lucas? Come on... If you really love someone you don't say 'Well I think I'm in love with him...' If it's real you know it for sure. And you would probably give up something precious in your existence for that person. You’re way too young to know what love is,” he said softly. “You’ve got a life time to experience yet… ”

They sat in silence until Jake pulled into the driveway of the Hunter/Holden residence and carefully parked the car.

“Listen, if I see Rocco, I’ll get him to get in touch with you straight away okay?” he said trying be reassuring.

She nodded and faked a smile as she opened the car door and slowly got out.

“I’m sorry Matilda,” Jake said. “I’m sorry if that all came across wrong. I’m... I’m crap with girls and giving advice...”

“You have nothing to apologise for,” she said sadly. “Thanks for the ride...”

Johnny pulled up at the side of the road outside the park where the gang usually hung out. It was deserted though, and he flipped open his phone He hadn’t said a single word since Rocco had told him everything that had been going on - and Rocco knew that the silence was a mask for something much more dangerous and violent that was simmering in Johnny’s thoughts.

Johnny turned off the growling engine and slowly pulled the key out of the ignition. He turned to his brother, but unable to look him in the eyes, he focused on the keys in his hands.

“Johnny...” Rocco said worryingly. “Say something...”

He said nothing. Still fidgeting with the keys, clenching his jaw and gritting his teeth, as if to keep himself from erupting into a rage.

“Johnny, I wanted to tell you about Karl, I really did...’ Rocco pleaded. “He threatened me, and Maddie and Nina... I didn’t think you’d believe me over him...”

Johnny frowned and looked out of his window, totally bypassing his brother completely. “Forget it,” he whispered. “It’s over now alright...”

Rocco sat back in his seat, confused but still feeling threatened by Johnny’s no show of emotion.

He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw Jake pull up next to him. He couldn't stand being near Rocco and the uncomfortable tension there was between them. He turned to say something to his brother then decided against it. Instead, he shook his head and opened his door to get out of the car.

“Hey Jakey,” Johnny yelled slamming the door shut.

“Hey mate,” Jake said as the two guys walked towards each other. “Good to see you got out in one piece. So what happened in there with old Chopper? I was getting worried there mate, I was gonna call the rest of the boys and tell them to get down there.”

Johnny sighed and motioned with his eyes towards the trees on the other side of the park. “Let’s take a walk...”

“So when do you reckon Karl will make his move?” Jake said anxiously after hearing Johnny tell him the whole story.

“Depends what kind of angle he’s gonna take,” Johnny said being careful not mouth anything that Rocco could decipher from across the way. “I’m gonna wait till he goes back to Chopper. He won’t do anything without someone backing him up.”

“What if he tells Chopper what he’s got on you? Chop could use that to get to you later...”

“He won’t...” Johnny warned. “I’ve got it sorted...”

“Alright,” Jake nodded. “You gonna inform the rest of the boys?”

Johnny shook his head casually. “Nah, with the robbery comin up, it might get some of them on edge. Last thing we need is someone doing something stupid and getting nailed by the cops. That includes Karl...”

“And Rocco?” Jake said motioning to Johnny’s car. “You’ll need to keep him in line... he could bring on the heat too... and not just with the cops. We can’t under estimate Chopper in this either...”

“I’ll worry about Roc,” Johnny said firmly. “You need to start keeping tabs on your sis...”

“Here I was thinking you were doing enough of that for the both of us,” Jake said smiling wryly. He paused to study Johnny’s reaction. “I do keep tabs, and I’m not an idiot mate...”

Johnny said nothing, he looked at his brother before turning to Jake again.

“Do you trust Chopper?”

He grinned before cautiously staring down at Jake. “Nup,” he frowned. “I might take some risks, but I’m not stupid...”

“What about my sister? Do you trust her?”

“I trust you don’t I?” Johnny snapped.

“Do you love her?”

They both knew the answer to that and it was something that neither wanted to hear admitted out loud. Jake studied him hard. He could see how conflicted Johnny had become since being with her. Before, he was a man so sure of himself – so sure his way of life. And while he was still a dangerous and imposing figure, there was a distance and despondency about him now; much like the look he would see in his sisters eyes.

“It’s hard not to,” Jake continued. “I won’t blame you for that.” He could see that the slightest mention of her had gotten Johnny fighting that deep inner cauldron of emotions. Emotions that weakened him. Something that could compromise everything.

Johnny stayed silent. Thinking hard about Chopper and his brother – and her.

“Mate, you know what comes next,” Jake said interrupting his thoughts.

“Nah,” Johnny said shaking his head. “We can work around this...”

Jake grabbed Johnny’s collar. “Let’s be real here, what else could Karl possibly have on you that you couldn’t handle? And if Chopper is looking for her like you’re saying, you know what that means.”

“You just don’t like the fact that she’s actually into me...” he said shoving him away. “What's your problem anyway?”

“This is business,” Jake said stopping him again in his tracks. “Look, she’s my sister, but she... is also a liability. If Chopper finds out about the two of you, he will go after her and you know that. Then he’ll have you right where he wants you. I’m not just lookin out for my sister here Johnny. You’ve got a weak spot, and we need to eliminate that so you can focus on what is ahead. What’s best for the gang. You can’t do that when your head is tied in with your emotions. Get out now before the relationship gets too deep... it’s not a matter of ‘if’ but more like ‘when’ it’ll happen. And guys never think with their heads in those situations. You know that...”

“It’s different with her...” Johnny said pushing past him and walking towards his car. “Besides I’m pretty sure your sis could take on Chopper and his boys if it ever came down to it.”

Jake gritted his teeth in frustration. “We both know if it ever came down to it, Chopper would slash her throat like you did to him...”

“I wouldn’t let that happen,” Johnny argued. “Chop won’t ever touch her while I’m still alive.”

“That’s what I’m saying!” Jake shouted. “He’ll use this to get rid of you...”

“I’m tellin ya!” Johnny shouted back. “Ain’t gonna happen...”

“Okay then,” Jake sighed. “Look, I tried to be nice about the whole thing, but if that’s not going to change your mind... how well do you actually know my sister? Hmmm? How do you even know she feels the same way about you?”

“Look mate,” Johnny scowled. “I’m done talking about this. You’re meant to be a friend... I didn’t come here to have a fight with you...”

“Don’t kid yourself. She’s using you Johnny and you’re too freaking stupid to see that!”

"Nup," he said vigorously shaking his head. "She wouldn't do that to me..."

"You don't know for sure though do you?" Jake questioned him. "How do you know that she hasn't got something going on with Chopper? Or your brother for that

matter?"

Johnny frowned and looked at Rocco again.

"Hit a nerve did I?" Jake smirked. "I'm serious Johnny... your feelings for her are only going to get in the way of what we need to do. You’re risking everything for nothing! I know my sister and she doesn't love you... she never will..."

“You don’t know anything,” Johnny shouted in frustration. “And if I were you, I’d stay the hell out of it.”

“I won’t say it again Johnny...” Jake said almost pleadingly. “You’re making a big mistake...”

As much as he wanted to retaliate, Johnny turned his back on Jake and walked calmly to his car. He’d wanted to hit Jake right there and then - he would have done anything to defend his feelings for Nina. But it was something in Jake’s voice that cast a cloud of anger in Johnny’s mind. If anyone knew her best, surely it would be her own brother?

And sure enough it it was those words that kept ringing through his mind. “She doesn’t love you... and she never will...”

Archived