Neighbours should be axed

Guest vikkysmile

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do share the view of you in generally disliking what Neighbours has to offer at this moment.

However sufficient enough of people like it to keep the people up top happy.

I mean, Lost was a mega hit, but I thought it was a huge pile of ****e.

I don't think it is that bad, but compared to Home & Away it isn't that good at the moment. Their biggest storyline is Lou and Harold losing the general store and paul finding out about ned and izzy whereas in home and away their biggest storyline is Who Killed Josh West? and everyone hates him so it is interesting to find out who actually did it.

• 2 years later...

WHAT?

Neighbours started before Home and Away, in 1985 and Home and Away started in 1988 ( i think ) so Home and Away copied Neighbours just by starting up.

The Neighbours storylines are believable and real, as if any town is going to have a stalker, return from the dead and all that bull,.

Between 1988 and 2003 Neighbours rated higher than Home and Away is every country exceppt New Zealand and when Home and Away decided they would ruin themselves with the stalker story they pushed in on Neighbours.

If you ask me Neighbours will be around long after Home and Away fizzles out.

WHAT?

Neighbours started before Home and Away, in 1985 and Home and Away started in 1988 ( i think ) so Home and Away copied Neighbours just by starting up.

The Neighbours storylines are believable and real, as if any town is going to have a stalker, return from the dead and all that bull,.

Between 1988 and 2003 Neighbours rated higher than Home and Away is every country exceppt New Zealand and when Home and Away decided they would ruin themselves with the stalker story they pushed in on Neighbours.

You have obviously never even seen H&A then, and just have a genralised view of it from what you see on TV week covers! Yes H&A has had a stalker, but last time I checked, so has neighbours, and every other soap existing. Mad Mary, Gus (or Guy?) Terrence, and others, last year alone.

Its Not H&A's fault that Neighbours refused to move with the times, outdating itself and giving it a nasty watermark to everyone who isn't an avid viewer, sure, maybe now it has caught up and is good again after the revamp, and I don't think it should be axed, it isn't hurting anyone.

But comparing H&A and Neighbours, highlighting ONLY H&A's bad storylines (and yes they were bad), completely ignoring the mass of ridiculed storylines Neighbours had to offer in the past, just makes you seem like a hypocrite.

Seeing that you just replied to a thread which hasn't been active for two years, look at what's happened since then, with Neighbours' stupid storylines such as Mad Mary and the evil Robinson twins. Though bad stories aside, ratings dropped badly and came very close to getting axed last year. They tried a revamp to bring Neighbours back to life after it got off track in the past two or so years and ratings grew slightly.

Neighbours only rates higher in the UK because it's on a channel where most people have access to it, where as H&A is on a channel where some don't. Also, Neighbours is meant to (or has already?) move to channel 5 where H&A is also played on so they ratings over there could drop rapidly. But then again I'm not in the UK so I wouldn't know if these facts are 100% correct :lol:

Two years ago when this topic was made if Neighbours should be axed it was highly likely where they became really unbelievable to go higher then the stories in H&A. But now after the revamp, it's settled down and is flowing OK, even though the ratings are slightly starting to fall again. I think Ten's next move to keep the show going would be to change its timeslot, where I read a few weeks on Ten's future program guide (again, not sure if this is 100% reliable material) that Neighbours would move to 4:30pm, where Bold and the News would be pushed a half an hour later to make way for Ten's new drama replacing Neighbours' timeslot. It could be a good move, but then again the revamp was supposed to save Neighbours, it did, but it's slightly lost its touch again. So nothing is ever sure. As for Neighbours being around long after H&A fizzles out, I highly doubt that as H&A is still strong with 1.3 viewers per day. I'm not stating this because I prefer H&A then Neighbours, it's a true fact. H&A IS more popular then Neighbours.

Though at this point in time, NO, the show shouldn't be axed just as yet.

Neighbours has already moved to Five, and I'm willing to bet that more and more people will be watching H&A now simply because it's on right after Neighbours and they cba to change the channel :lol:

I don't like Neighbours. Simply because it doesn't interest me. But I have to say a few things.

I don't think Home and Away "copied" anybody. TV was becoming more popular in the late 80s and I think almost every single country introduced a new soap to their screens. Obviously, Seven or whoever started H&A saw the chance and took it.

I've watched about six hours of Neighbours in my 17 years alive so I don't know what the storylines are like. But I'm sure it had an unrealistic storyline in there somewhere... most soaps do.

Home and away gets around 300,000 viewers over here daily (not much, but that's pretty good considering the population size). But Neighbours doesn't even come in to the ratings. This is simply because most people over here aren't interested. If I remember correctly, Neighbours was almost staring being axed in the face and it was pretty close.

Two years ago I said that it should be axed. But there are a few million people in the world that are interested in it... so that is enough to keep it on. :)

EDIT: As you can see in this thread, I was an stupid Neighbours-hater. Was I smoking something while making those posts?! I don't even remember them! :lol:

Neighbours has already moved to Five, and I'm willing to bet that more and more people will be watching H&A now simply because it's on right after Neighbours and they cba to change the channel :lol:

Apart from a rise in the first week Home and Away hasn't really increased in viewers at all.

Despite Neighbours being on the same channel as Home and Away it still rates better.

Archived