Neighbours should be axed

Guest vikkysmile

Neighbours dominates the FIVE schedule, but H&A first chance beats Neighbours on five life by an average 500,000 viewers, so they are actually pretty close to eachother in the ratings, well closer than everyone assumes anyway.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread started a very long time ago where Neighbours was rating terribly and the storylines were pretty craptacular... It has improved since then, not majorly so but enough for Channel TEN to renew it for 3 years. I think the reasons the show isn't rating higher has alot to do with the timeslot is in. 6.30 means that it has to compete with two popular current affairs programs. Both programs rate well, Neighbours doesn't.

Channel Ten and BBC are co producing a new soap and I think alot of Neighbours future has a lot to do with how this series goes. Producing this soap means that Channel Ten will meet its Drama Quota if they were to axe Neighbours. Drew mentioned something above about Neighbours moving to 4.30 I also read that somewhere but can't remember how reliable that information was. But if that is the case I don't see Neighbours having much of a future. I think if they were to change the timeslot why not later. Maybe edit the Five times a week episodes to TWO and show it in the 7.30 timeslot.

Yes neightbours should be axed. way back when Kyle and Jason were in it I used to a fan, but then I lost instest and it just seems like a programe to fill a gap on channel five.

:lol: I doubt five feel the same way about it filling a gap, given how much they paid for it!

I don't like Neighbours. Simply because it doesn't interest me. But I have to say a few things.

I don't think Home and Away "copied" anybody. TV was becoming more popular in the late 80s and I think almost every single country introduced a new soap to their screens. Obviously, Seven or whoever started H&A saw the chance and took it.

I've watched about six hours of Neighbours in my 17 years alive so I don't know what the storylines are like. But I'm sure it had an unrealistic storyline in there somewhere... most soaps do.

Home and away gets around 300,000 viewers over here daily (not much, but that's pretty good considering the population size). But Neighbours doesn't even come in to the ratings. This is simply because most people over here aren't interested. If I remember correctly, Neighbours was almost staring being axed in the face and it was pretty close.

Two years ago I said that it should be axed. But there are a few million people in the world that are interested in it... so that is enough to keep it on. :)

EDIT: As you can see in this thread, I was an stupid Neighbours-hater. Was I smoking something while making those posts?! I don't even remember them! :lol:

One thing is true about neighbours - the Brits love it - plain and simple!

Dunno the reason why - really cant see the appeal of the show - but they are the only ones that seem to like it - aussie's dont - doesnt rate well in Ireland either - so it just the brits keeping it on air unfortunately!

As long as the brits tune in i think it will still be made otherwise if it were not shown in the UK, it would have been gone a long time ago.

While I think Neighbours has some improving to do, I don't think it should be axed. There's been improvement over the last couple weeks (especially bringing characters like Libby and Toadie back to the forefront.) It's a completely different kind of show to Home and Away, and I find that both shows draw unfavorable criticisms from fans on both sides.

OBVIOUSLY WE ARE NOT GOING TO AGREE ON THIS,

Neighbours and Home and Away both have alot of fans out there, or they wouldnt be playing, both are the same but 100% different, Home and Away is storyline driven, bringing in all theirratings on storylines, while Neighbours have a more relaxed character driven lifestyle.

I do enjoy Neighbours more but it wasnt always, that way. I used to love Home and Away.

I think there should be enough room on screens for both shows so that all fans can watch them both, if you dont like it, dont watch it.

Agreed?

And also, H&A is now more character driven and the ratings have remained fine.

I can't put my finger on it, but I can't find any emotions in Neighbours. Like, I can't connect with anyone. They're all boring. I watch it, but I can't connect witht he characters like H&A. The only ones I can connect with would be Susan and Karl, along with Izzy and Libby. All the rest, they're just people with dialogue.

WARNING FOR UKERS...

After the whole mining disaster, I didn't feel anything for anyone throughout that whole story. I rarely compare H&A to Neighbours :lol: but H&A's Sutherand mining disaster was much more effective with the emotions. I felt for the characters, not like the ones in Neighbours.

I have noticed though that since Dan B has went on board that they've had quite a few "who wont make it" types of episodes :lol: Not sure if he has control over the stories, but yeah. Just something I noticed.

They should get Bevan Lee onto the show. I know he could sort it out. Look at Home and Away. I can happily say that, in my opinion, 2008 is turning out to be the best year EVER! And I've been watching since the nineties.

Archived