Neighbours should be axed

Guest vikkysmile

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who said it was "eventually going to be axed"? Nobody knows how long the show is going to run for. For all we know, it could still be here twenty years down the line.

Nobody has said that Neighbours will be definately axed, it is only speculation. The fact is that Neighbours' ratings are very bad in Australia despite it having a loyal following. In the current climate in Australia anything that doesn't rate is axed. It is as simple as that. Recent history has proven that. In Australia each network has to have a minimum quota of Australian drama that is shown. Channel Ten does not have much Australian drama, so if they axe Neighbours they will not have enough drama to reach it's quota. If Channel Ten comes up with new drama to meet it's quota and Neighbours is still rating poorly, logic says that Neighbours will go. However if the ratings dramatically improve to an acceptable level for the network, it will likely survive. You are right nobody knows how long the show is going to run for, but you have to admit that the signs are not looking good. I have been a fan of Neighbours for almost 20 years, so believe me when I say that this gives me no joy.

This is a link to a thread where there is a post by dramaqueen who works in the television industry. This puts the current situation into perspective a lot clearer than I can.

http://www.backtothebay.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10845

Obviously it won't get axed, because it's proving more and more popular.

And why do all these big storylines, that take a long time to be fully complete, when they thought it was going to be axed in a few years?

Obviously it won't get axed, because it's proving more and more popular.

And why do all these big storylines, that take a long time to be fully complete, when they thought it was going to be axed in a few years?

It might be proving more and more popular in the UK but it is no longer popular in Australia despite it having a loyal following. The BBC does not get a say in the future of Neighbours even though they might try and fight for it's survival. Neighbours is made by an Australian network (Channel Ten) and if Channel Ten decide to pull the plug because of bad ratings, Neighbours will end as there will be no where to produce the show. Television ratings translate into advertising revenue so as a result shows live and die by how they rate.

It is obvious why the Neighbours' producers are pulling out all those big storylines. It is a desperate attempt to attract more viewers in Australia in order to ensure the show's survival. If Neighbours does not pick up more viewers in Australia and fast, it will not survive beyond the next couple of years. There have been reports in the last week that Channel 10 have two new shows that they are developing and plan to screen by the end of the year. This development is not promising for the future of Neighbours.

Archived