The Homework Help Thread

Guest Kimmy

I go back to school on Monday January 9th so my essay needs to be done by then. What I have to do is compare the social conditions of two Scottish contemporary plays (The Steamie and Men Should Weep) but I need to make sure I'm writing about the correct things first.

Any help welcome.. thanks!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say that social conditions means the society in which the characters are living. So like Mercury Girl said, economy and polictical issues would be one, also women's rights, work, cultures etc. You were on the right tracks anyway.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go back to school on Monday January 9th so my essay needs to be done by then. What I have to do is compare the social conditions of two Scottish contemporary plays (The Steamie and Men Should Weep) but I need to make sure I'm writing about the correct things first.

Any help welcome.. thanks!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say that social conditions means the society in which the characters are living. So like Mercury Girl said, economy and polictical issues would be one, also women's rights, work, cultures etc. You were on the right tracks anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I did American History last semester, we looked at:

-economy

-politics

-culture

-social status/change (women's rights, civil rights, healt etc)

for each decade.

It's with reference to a book by Frances Bonner called Ordinary Television - which is currently booked out of my Uni Library! :rolleyes:

Argh this book is annoying me now! There's 4 copies in my library, 2 are booked out, one is on hold for someone who hasn't picked it up, and the other one can't be removed from the Library.

My friend at Derby Uni has searched her library but they don't have it - I've done an online search of every Library in Nottinghamshire and they don't have it!

Anyone in Queensland can you just pop along to the University of Queensland, ask for Dr Frances Bonner and get her to email me a copy?!! :lol:

Thanks guys, that's really helped me alot. I've got the day off work tomorrow so I plan to start my essay then - after the long lie, of course! :P All your suggestions made me remember that the role of women and politics were definitely two of the issues we had to discuss so.. thanks! :D

Ms Becky, I do the exact same. That's why I'm trying to give myself a heads up on this one. It's the first essay of this kind that I've had to do for Drama and I want to make sure it's good!

It's extremely theoretical, sort of why I chose a supposed practical course! It really is at degree level though I'm afraid, following lectures we've had on it :rolleyes:

I've got 11 questions to choose from but I think I'm going with:

3. In what ways does entertainment-dominated non-fiction on TV seek to show us how to achieve a ‘better, more exciting ordinary’ (Bonner)?

It's with reference to a book by Frances Bonner called Ordinary Television - which is currently booked out of my Uni Library! :rolleyes:

I think it's basically asking how can programmes such as Wife Swap, Changing Room, You Are What You Eat etc. affect how people want to live their lives.

Yes it's a tough one! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did not do media...social sciences.... but from the way it's worded I would think something about social construct theory and the way in which people "engage" with what they see on the TVi is about right...you could throw in a bit of . Vygotsky...he is always good for a bit of waffle. :D

Thank you : But I don't find any intresting places in Melbourne , I put the australian open in my paper so , I want to show you what I have but it's in dutch sow

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o the are lots of intersesting things...Di you know that thre are more Greeks in Melbourne than there are in Athens! Well they say that... There is stuff about AFL. the Trams system is historic sme of it relly shakes you bnes its so historic...LOL..., chinatown, great Ocean road, The Queen Vic market.....find a tourist site that should give you some info...also on the history of Melbourne. They make Secret life of us in Melbourne. :D

Archived