Emmerdale

msf

I was genuinely sorry to see John go, especially considering that Moira cheating indirectly led to his death through no fault of his own other than the fact that he was simply trying to provide for his family. Although I understand Adam's attitude towards Declan, I'm really not liking him at the moment. The way I feel right now, I actually wish he'd swap places with John. Let's not forget that Declan saved Moira's life and let's also not forget Adam slept with Declan's ex wife whilst he was sleeping with his daughter which was part of the reason why Declan had such a downer on John in the first place - Not that John deserved it of course.

Declan's sister looks like she could be an interesting character. Not sure if I particularly like her as a person but I'm hoping she will cause some drama.

I was over the moon when Cameron dumped Debbie after he found out about her and Andy sleeping together and wasn't too happy when he gave her another chance. Still as I said before always good to see Cameron trying to contain his anger. Kind of glad that they're not together now even though Debbie was the one who ended it the second time. At least Cameron isn't made out to be the bad guy now. I actually think he's shown a fair degree of patience and restraint considering what he's had to put up with. I actually don't blame Andy, Debbie caused this mess by booking a hotel, coming onto him then sleeping with him. She used him. If the baby isn't a match it all would have been for nothing. I thought there was quite a bit of chemistry between Chas and Cameron during their scenes at the Woolpack so I'm hoping something happens if not to rile Debbie up even further, not to mention how annoyed Cain would be. Can't see Chas doing that to Debbie though.

Really enjoyed the Aaron/Alicia stuff, with Alicia trying to compete vie with Aaron for Ed's attention and both of them trying to work out if Ed was gay or straight.

I'm ecstatic Val's decided to stay in Portugal. She clearly doesn't love Eric and he deserves better. With any luck he'll divorce her without handing over a single penny.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry they killed off John as well, not least because it's beginning to look like he was the only good Barton.Adam's become pretty unbearable since it happen, Hannah was unbearable already, Moira's playing the victim card a bit too much and Holly...well, actually I've kind of felt sorry for her lately, it seems like she's the one who's continually dumped on even though she's trying her best.

Man, how long is this Cameron and Debbie thing going to be dragged out for?I seriously have no idea what the writers are playing at.The characters and actors act as though they're a great couple who are perfect for each other but I'm not sure if there's a single viewer left who believes it.The constant splits and reunions are getting on my nerves.I was begging for him to get lost back to Jersey or at least hook up with Chas.She really isn't doing well really, copping off with semi-detached men who go back to their exes is becoming a habit.

Not too keen on what they're doing with Zak:Maybe someone thought that having him unaffected by how close he came to killing Cain would make him unsympathetic but instead I'm thinking "Zak, snap out of it.It's not like you attacked anyone important."And then they almost seem to portray Cain as the hero by having him stick up for Sam in the pub.Not sure about what they're doing with Ashley either, they came perilously close to portraying him as the villain in the Laurel/Marlon thing because he had a few trust issues, now they seem to be doing the same in this business with Sandy given his reaction to Rachel. Frankly, I think they're both just being stubborn.

Not sure if I like Megan:I did at first but she seems a bit arrogant and ruthless, even by Declan's standards.And has Rodney dyed his hair?It looks really strange.

• 3 weeks later...

Been away for a little while but I've spent the past week catching up on TV.

Firstly I'm finding this storyline with Ashley and Sandy fascinating, mostly because I've been in a similar situation so I can kind of understand both points of view. I think it's great that the writers are trying to focus on a storyline such as this as it's something that I would imagine goes unchecked and would be more frequent with an ageing population. Obviously the pressure of Ashley's marriage and home life is resulting in him taking everything out on Sandy. I don't like Ashley at the moment and don't like how he is acting towards Sandy but I don't think it is entirely his fault. When Ashley brought Ruby to help him, he was too proud to accept her help. Laurel seems totally oblivious to what's going on. I have to say I really like Rachel's role in this. I'm not sure if Ashley's abusing Sandy but it is pretty much borderline.

I don't like Cain at all but fair play to him for rescuing Holly like that. Adam has been a total jerk to everyone and I have really disliked him as of late. Having a go at Andy and Alex regarding the lamb, being jealous and childish when Moira wanted Andy to run the farm etc. Cain was pretty reprehensible during the weeks leading up to his assault but I personally don't think that Adam should get away with trying to burn him alive, irrespective of whether he went back for him or not or whether Cain deserved it. Still once Cain's all healed up I suspect Adam's going to wish Cain had reported him after all.

Definitely don't like Megan. She doesn't really have any redemptive qualities. I'm not even finding her that entertaining as a character although I'm hoping that will change. Think it's an interesting take having Declan short on cash. Will be waiting to see exactly how ruthless Megan will actually be.

• 2 weeks later...

As I've heard said elsewhere, the Ashley/Sandy stuff is making for very uncomfortable viewing.Although Ashley isn't particularly likeable at the moment and a lot of his behaviour is reprehensible, a small part of me sympathises with him.It feels like he's got involved in this situation by accident and is aware that he'll be vilified if it comes out how he's been behaving so he's kind of backed into a corner and doing worse and worse things to cover it up.Sandy isn't doing himself any favours by refusing to admit he's not as robust as he used to be, which is putting pressure on both of them.I'm hoping it's going to be resolved without Ashley being painted as an out and out villain.

Despite her faults, Megan was actually pretty sympathetic towards Zak.I'm not sure I like the way he's falling to pieces out of guilt, especially when Cain's not worth it.Although I'm not a big fan of Adam at the moment, I'd have preferred it if he hadn't gone back for Cain, who seems to be turning into one of those characters that everyone keeps trying to kill yet they never quite manage it.That said, I wasn't keen on the whole emotional blackmail thing with everyone acting as though Adam shouldn't take responsibility because his family would be upset, even to the point of letting an innocent person take the blame. Although I guess Aaron hasn't come out of it too badly;I'm not sure if hopping over the channel to France is as surefire a way of getting away from the police as soaps seem to suggest it is.(Haven't they heard of the EU and extradition?)I liked Aaron's farewell with Paddy, which was perfectly in character and fitted their relationship.Would have kind of preferred it if they'd ended it with Chas hating him for leaving her rather than the ten minute airport farewell we ended up with;they were there so long I was wondering why the police didn't think to check there.(Were they even looking?)Not sure Cameron did the right thing filling Chas in on what had been going on either.

Well, Eric's night with Brenda certainly put a smile back on his face and, despite being initially mortified, she didn't seem to need much encouragement to go back for seconds.Amy may well rue the day she left them together.The adult illiteracy thing with Ali is vaguely interesting with some nice performances from all concerned(and the fact she's keeping it from Ruby could cause tension)but I often find with these sorts of storylines they don't really know what to do with them once they've got over the initial shock value, most of the time they learn to read very quickly, occasionally they don't but it kind of fades into the background.

Although I haven't been a fan of Aaron and at times I've really disliked him during his time on the show, I've absolutely hated the way he's been written out. I hated the way Cain and Debbie kept quiet and went along with his plans to take the wrap. I actually find it hard to believe that either of them would want Adam to get away with it. There's also the issue of the insurance company not paying out because the fire was deliberately started which you'd think would put Debbie's business in serious trouble. Holly and especially Moira really annoyed me. Holly being perfectly OK for Aaron to go down and all Moira seemed to care about was whether Adam would turn himself in. And then she and Adam had the gall to go up to Chas and tell her how grateful they were, not once but twice. I was really glad when Cameron told Chas the truth but I think he would have kept quiet had he not fancied her. At least it gave her a chance to say goodbye. I actually thought it was quite emotional but I also really liked his final scene with Paddy too.

I just couldn't understand at first why Aaron went out of his way to sacrifice everything for Adam. I do accept that part of it was gratitude for Adam saving him that time then there was something Chas said this week about Aaron being over Jackson that actually made me think the opposite in that he was still punishing himself. He then later confirmed it when he told Chas that he'd done quite a few things that he gotten away with but shouldn't. I'm still not sure that I hold him entirely responsible for what happened to Jackson but I do think he should have been punished for what he did to Paddy. Regardless I'm not sure starting a new life abroad with no worries qualifies as punishment.

Re Chas and Cameron, it's funny because part of me wanted them to get together because of the impact it would have on Debbie but since the baby she's pregnant with has been a match for Sarah she actually hasn't been anywhere near annoying as she had previously so I'm not so sure now. Fair play to him for resisting Chas like that. It must have been quite difficult but if she'd been sober it might have been different.

The thing that made me laugh the most regarding Brenda and Eric was Gennie's reaction of absolute disgust when she found out it was him her mother slept with.

I had mixed feelings about Rachel calling social services. Part of me wants Ashley to be exposed, as I mentioned before I hate how he's acting towards Sandy at the moment and I especially don't like the way he's bullying him into keeping quiet. On the other hand I don't think he's a bad person at all. And I think if this comes out it would have serious repercussions for his life in general family etc and you could argue all the good he's done over the years outweighs any bad.

Ashley is showing all the marks of an abuser now, with his "You drive me to it" defence, and everyone involved recognises things can't go on as they have been.Sandy going into a home may well be the lesser of two evils so in a way it's a shame he's having to wait.(Aren't there any other homes?)

Cameron came across as completely spineless this week, he must really have tickets on himself acting as though Chas couldn't fail to be in love with him and how a quick bunk-up against a wall is the highlight of her week.Is he really hoping to just string both her and Debbie along indefinitely?If this succeeds in finally breaking him and Debbie up, it'll be worth it, but it seems like we've still got everyone on and off screen insisting he loves her and is good for her.

Megan is getting pretty unbearable, deliberately provoking Katie out of what almost seems like jealousy.Even though Declan's been a tool, I'm hoping he and Katie work it through just to spite her.Charity stabbing Gennie in the back was nasty, good that Gennie doesn't seem prepared to just let it go.Still not sure about Zak's mental illness storyline but I guess it serves an educational purpose.

• 1 month later...

Firstly I wanted to comment on the Ashley/Sandy abuse storyline. I really wanted Ashley to be exposed but now he has I'm not as happy as I thought I would be. Although he deserved to be called out on what he did I hated the attitude of some of the villagers in particular Edna. She's supposed to be a devout Christian yet she couldn't even find it in her heart to even think of giving him another chance. The attitude of Ashley's former colleague was better. It also really annoyed me when Edna called the police. I thought that should have been down to Sandy and he was quite clear that that wasn't the route he wanted to take. I haven't found her the worst however. I thoroughly dislike Laurel at the moment. I always knew that when she chose Ashley over Marlon she didn't love him but it really feels like she used Sandy's abuse as an excuse to get rid of him, not necessarily because she wanted to protect Sandy but because she no longer wanted Ashley. I've also hated the way she's denied him access to the kids especially considering that Gabi isn't even hers.

I wanted Chas and Cameron together simply because of what it would do to Debbie and Cain. I would still love to see Cain's reaction if this comes out but as much as I hate to admit it Debbie hasn't been too bad as of late. I think it's quite ironic Chas is in the position given how pally she was with Eve and she's doing exactly the same thing to her own niece. If this does come out I hope this point is raised. You do have to have serious concerns about getting involved with Cameron. Leaves his wife, wants to leave Debbie and assuming he does and he an Chas become an item, what's to say he won't do the same thing to her.

Although it seems to have happened quite suddenly speaking from personal experience I think the portrayal of Zak's mental illness is spot on. So although I don't think it's that interesting, like the abuse storyline I'm glad the writers have decided to go down this route. Again ironically after trying to kill his own son, Cain turned out to be the one who saved him so fair play to him in that sense. Presumably Lisa told Debbie about Zak bashing Cain offscreen. Would have liked to have seen her reaction. I wonder if Chas knows yet.

I was really enjoying the scenes when Rachel, Alicia and Holly were all vying for David's affection. I especially liked Alicia's jealousy. It's sad that there are three women who are after him but he's still hung up on Leyla. I did say a while back that I wanted to see something happen with David and Alicia but I wouldn't mind if he went out with one of the other two which seems unlikely now.

Up until the last week I didn't like Megan at all previously (even though I thought she was a good character) but since they've introduced this storyline with her abandoning her baby and shown another side to her, I don't mind her too much at the moment. Although I didn't agree with Declan hiring the private detective to find her son I do quite like the role his played as her supporting older brother and hoping their relationship develops. It was starting to look like his character had run it's course after Mia died so I'm glad he at least has some purpose now. I think Declan might have made progress with Megan's son and am hoping he has a change of heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Zak storyline has been fairly well handled and, after being frustrated by his initial refusal to accept something was wrong, I now find his frustration that he knows there's a problem but can't do anything about it very believable.There's been some nice reactions, notably Belle refusing to see it as something to be ashamed of.

I was glad when Ashley was found out and appreciated the way the other characters faced him down but I was never 100% against him and now...He is genuinely remorseful for what he did yet it feels like the other characters are determined to keep on punishing him.I can't really fault Laurel, although I'm not sure keeping the children away from him will do anything other than prolong the trauma, but that may well change if she uses this as an excuse to go running back to Marlon with a clear conscience.I really disliked the way Edna blanked him and I wish Jude had said something rather than just sitting there looking awkward.(It has to be said, a parish getting a new vicar immediately after the old one leaves is pretty much unheard of.But I guess they were exceptional circumstances.)

Not sure about Robbie so far.I wouldn't go so far as to say Megan's shown a softer side but at least it's given her something to do other than make ruthless business decisions or snipe at Katie.Declan's interference is possibly inappropiate, although the slap was unnecessary and another example of the old soap ethos of "female violence towards men is okay."

I quite liked Dan when he first came in, even if he was obviously not the brightest spark and a bit useless.But his using Sean to get at Ali and Ruby, dragging Alicia away from her home and leeching off Bob who really should have said enough was enough and kicked them out, seriously made me dislike him.I was cheering when Ruby called their bluff and said she'd phone the police.Although Ali reading Sean's apology letter was rather sweet.

I was kind of disappointed they didn't do more with David and Holly, she could have used some happiness after having a pretty bad year.

I haven't missed Val at all and am disappointed to have her back.Just when Amy and Brenda were getting on okay as well.I was pleased they didn't go the obvious route of having her just walk back into everyone's life as if nothing had happened.I seriously hatred the way she berated Brenda in the Woolpack, especially the way Brenda just took it and Nikhil stopped Gennie defending her.(Although he got back in my good books by being surprisingly sympathetic towards Ali.)I was cheering when Eric and Amy finally rejected her and kicked her out.I can't see Amy cutting her out forever but hopefully she'll continue to support Eric and Brenda regardless.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm extremely displeased Val is back (admittedly I don't think she's been anywhere near as bad as she was just before she left) I didn't really blame her for pressing charges against Alicia. What Alicia did was incredibly impulsive and unbelievable stupid considering that she was already on a suspended sentence for committing another serious assault. I didn't actually think she was the violent type. I just assumed she was all mouth and no trousers.

I read that the actress is pregnant in real life so I'm assuming that the character will go to jail and that Jacob will go and live with Jake.

I admit I was a strong supporter of Ashley being exposed but every time someone other than Rodney or Jude talks to him I find myself getting quite annoyed. I was extremely annoyed with Victoria and Alex when they saw him working at the burger bar and told Laurel solely because he wanted them to keep quiet. I'm not sure where the character goes from here to be honest. How is he going to be able to find a job and find enough money for Laurel to pay the rent? I still don't like the way Laurel won't let him spend time with the kids either.

I'm glad that Robbie is back simply because I think his presence will create an interesting dynamic within the Declan/Megan/Katie household. That being said I don't trust the guy one bit. There's just something about him that bothers me. Declan seems to want to welcome him with open arms though.

I'm still finding the Cameron/Chas thing interesting. Judging by how storylines in the past in soaps have gone I'm fully expecting their affair to be exposed. In terms of entertainment the best scenario for me would be Debbie catching them in bed together. Even if that doesn't happen, if this does all come out it's going to turn pretty ugly especially as far as Cain is concerned. I actually thought he was suspicious of Cameron when when Cameron offered to let Andy go to France with Debbie and Sarah in his place. On the other hand he remains completely oblivious to Chas, actually thinking more positively of her being the person most responsible for raising the money for the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I never have liked Cameron and I'm really not liking him at the moment.Of course, I don't like Cain either so them going head to head is either win/win or lose/lose, I'm not entirely sure which.I was kind of in favour of Cameron and Chas together at first but the longer it's gone on and the smug way Cameron has been lately, I'm hoping he ends up with no-one.And hopefully leaves.Chas does at least seem a bit bothered about it but the way she tried to force Gennie to stay quiet by claiming Debbie will have a miscarriage and Sarah will die if there's a fuss was, as Gennie said, pretty sick.Hard to imagine this ending happily for her whatever happens, she'll lose either Cameron or her family and possibly both.

Although it was a pretty dumb thing to do and probably not entirely justified, I can't say I minded Alicia hitting Val that much, shame she's going to come a cropper as a result of it.David has morphed into one of my favourite characters over the last year or so, he's got a brilliantly light attitude, self-deprecating humour and the ability to get away with saying inappropriate things all the time.I think Alicia's setting herself up for a fall with this marriage of convenience but her face when David kissed her was a picture.

Sorry to see Holly and Hannah go but at least they had a happy ending.Gennie being pregnant could be quite a good idea, I just hope she tells Nikhil soon and he handles it well.