What are your favourite/least favourite buildings?

cymbaline

2 hours ago, Dan F said:

They did try a completely unobscured one with the kiosk at one point

uLiE4k.jpg

And I can't help but be reminded of this brilliant attempt 😄

2d6k3d.jpg

Not disagreeing, though there are some windows on the fourth wall too

Photo backdrops in the 90s was quite advanced really given Neighbours took until 2004/2005 to get them. The Palm Beach one wouldn’t have been so bad if it wasn’t so deserted and the school one would have worked if they’d gone for a path there instead of mismatched grass.

I think Summer Bay House looks pretty dark these days with the colour scheme and because the light only comes through the doors and windows, however given the porch covers them all the light entering through them is probably excessive.

10 hours ago, Dan F said:

They did try a completely unobscured one with the kiosk at one point

uLiE4k.jpg

And I can't help but be reminded of this brilliant attempt 😄

2d6k3d.jpg

Not disagreeing, though there are some windows on the fourth wall too

Even Adam would question why waves and tides had stopped forming on the Pacific Ocean! 🌊

Was the 88-96 school interior a set or a real building? 

What about the 89-94 hospital interior (complete with the intensive care unit that Bobby etc were in)?

It's a pity they couldn't make the kiosk window work because I sort of like it. It would've also made commercial sense because you could then sell snacks and cold drinks to people on the beach who were walking past. But from a logistical and continuity point of view, it'd have been a headache. 

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

It's a pity they couldn't make the kiosk window work because I sort of like it. It would've also made commercial sense because you could then sell snacks and cold drinks to people on the beach who were walking past. But from a logistical and continuity point of view, it'd have been a headache. 

It's even more of a headache in modern day eps - you can see the kiosk on the outside of the surf club, and they've even utilised it in scenes, yet there's no sign of it on the interior set 🤔🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Was the 88-96 school interior a set or a real building? 

What about the 89-94 hospital interior (complete with the intensive care unit that Bobby etc were in)?

Yes the main interiors were all sets.

There were the odd occasions of course where they did use a real interior - the school hall early on with the assemblies/gym classes and the concrete stairwell for example, and when Roxy went to the hospital for her breast clinic appointment. If it's not obvious from being able to see out of the windows, you can usually tell with the different lighting and acoustics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Summer Bay House, the interior of the school in the 1980s and 1990s, and the original shop/kiosk run by Ailsa, but all of them overshadowed by the 1988-2000 Bayside Diner which is my fave ever H&A set. And the pop memorabilia in there such as Elvis, Madonna and Marilyn Monroe, and the famous jukebox and burger phone.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2024 at 08:16, cymbaline said:

No, I never saw Echo Point but I get what you're saying. Even if they had windows for some natural light they'd be a continuity nightmare. Speaking of natural light, should Summer Bay House be as brightly lit as it is? There are only two smallish windows (one over the sink, one beside the door) and the doors letting in any light.

Methinks the occupants before 2010? Kept the lights on throughout the day. Nowadays it looks as though the lights are only turned on at night.

On 01/03/2024 at 17:27, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

Methinks the occupants before 2010? Kept the lights on throughout the day. Nowadays it looks as though the lights are only turned on at night.

Yes but that's because the house used to be full of teenagers. They never turn off the lights when they leave the room

Liked:

Summer Bay House - Looked very homely and I ALWAYS loved the stained glass window. Add a few tatami mats and a few Japanese things and you could make it look like a Wa****su (和室), but Aussie style.

Bayside Diner V1 - It looked really cool and I loved the blue frame work in between the seats and tables.

Beach House - It looked a bit weird to begin with, but once it was refurbished it looked better.

Pier Diner V2 - Looks much better than it's predecessor and looked like a modern take on the Bayside Diner kinda. I think Ailsa would have approved.

Beachside Diner - It looked pretty cool.

Disliked:

Bayside Diner V2 - Looked like a café at a fun centre to me.

Pier Diner V1 - Looked too tiny and closed in.

Edited by Luigi Severus Fletcher